Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak, he’s just not up to it – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,675
    edited December 2023

Nothing wrong with pointing out SKS’s flaws. He has them, and he makes mistakes, and there may come a time when they cost him. At the moment, the Tories are so utterly crap that anything SKS does or doesnt do pales into insignificance, which is why he will win the election, and I hope he does.

What exactly are his flaws? He hasn't really done anything wrong in my view, that's why he's been so successful.
    He was prepared and worked to make Jeremy Corbyn Prime Minister, that is huge red flag and flaw.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Personally, I would like to vote for a political party that had the following manifesto:

Look, this is all rather difficult, and who knows what the future will bring. I can't make any definitive promises about getting the economy moving, of reducing taxes, but these are going to be our guiding principles:

1. We're evidence based. Schooling. Policing. Health. You name it, we plan to run lots of trials. We have no idea which ideas will work. But unless we try things with a sensible system for evaluating results, we'll still never know.

2. Iteration. Iteration. Iteration. We're not going to rest on our laurels. We're going to be constantly seeing if we can improve things. Everything will be based on publicly available targets, and you will be able to judge us on those goals.

3. We're not that smart. We're going to make mistakes. Flip flopping is isn't bad, it's the correct response to new information that challenges existing views.

4. We will look for root causes, not try and treat symptoms. Why is it that the British economy is importing (say) certain types of labor? What is it we can change with the tax, benefit and education systems that makes it so that British people are more likely to be employed in these roles? Why is it that there are so few homes being built?

5. We won't lie to you. Things are going to be tough. There are an increasing number of people out there, all of whom want to live Western lives and they're willing to work longer and harder, because they're poorer. There's no free lunch and we can't simply shut ourselves off from the world.

How, within the space of one government, do you iterate trials of school policy ?
    Results are complicated by cohort, and take years to see out.
    And I would guess most parents would not be particularly keen on a mass parallel experiment with their kids as test subjects.

Your general point isn't a bad one, but it ignores the difficulties inherent in political, as opposed to commercial decisions.
    The truth is, we've already had lots of experiments with various school systems - selective, comprehensive, LEA, direct grant, grant maintained, city academies, academies, academy trusts, vocational, academic, and on and on. The data goes back 80 years and is genuinely plentiful.

The problem is they all show one thing - our education system never achieves what we ostensibly want it too.

And that's because we've never done the one thing that might make a difference - made per pupil funding in state schools the same level as private schools.

And why not? Because no politician is willing to spend the money.

As we also see in transport, health, power generation...
    Singapore tops the PISA rankings and spends and taxes less than we do.

As it has good discipline in the classroom and high expectations of its pupils. So what is actually needed is more of that and more choice for parents
    IMV (and as I've said boringly many times): parents matters just as much as school. If a relatively unscholarly kid has parents who are willing to invest time and effort into their kid(s), then that kid may bloom - even if it is only in finding something that does 'click' with them. If a relatively bright kid has parents who are not interested in school, or in getting the kid to school (as I fear is happening with one of my son's friends), then that kid will always struggle.

Choice for parents is irrelevant if the parents are uninterested in educating their kids. IMV it is mainly of advantage to middle-class parents anyway.

In my case, our son will probably have the choice of two secondary schools (village colleges in Cambridgeshire-speak). I like both of them; but the one that is furthest away is in big demand and I doubt he'd get in. So the 'choice' becomes either the very local school, a *really* long drive, or private.

The 'choice' is not much of a 'choice' for many people...
    But real choice is expensive. You need lots of spare places, and probably benefit from smaller institutions than we currently have, which probably increases the load of overheads over what we currently have.

In the absence of that, we get schools choosing pupils, one way or another. Whether by exam, church attendance or postcode.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I have private health insurance and generally use a private GP because:

1) the NHS in my experience is tremendous at saving your life, but terrible with just about everything else.
    2) I consider it a duty to not be too much of a burden on the state, and as I can afford it, I opt out.

I highly doubt this factors into your decision at all but congratulations, you are a minority of 1.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Queen Anne Political Compass

https://www.gotoquiz.com/political_compass_rage_of_party_queen_anne_ed

I'm a Jacobite Crypto-Papist

Whig Commonwealthman for me.
    Me too. Haven't got a clue what that means but count me in!
    Unsurprisingly, Moderate Hanoverian Tory
  • Options

Nothing wrong with pointing out SKS’s flaws. He has them, and he makes mistakes, and there may come a time when they cost him. At the moment, the Tories are so utterly crap that anything SKS does or doesnt do pales into insignificance, which is why he will win the election, and I hope he does.

What exactly are his flaws? He hasn't really done anything wrong in my view, that's why he's been so successful.
    He was prepared and worked to make Jeremy Corbyn Prime Minister, that is huge red flag and flaw.
    I can agree with that.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562

A

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Personally, I would like to vote for a political party that had the following manifesto:

Look, this is all rather difficult, and who knows what the future will bring. I can't make any definitive promises about getting the economy moving, of reducing taxes, but these are going to be our guiding principles:

1. We're evidence based. Schooling. Policing. Health. You name it, we plan to run lots of trials. We have no idea which ideas will work. But unless we try things with a sensible system for evaluating results, we'll still never know.

2. Iteration. Iteration. Iteration. We're not going to rest on our laurels. We're going to be constantly seeing if we can improve things. Everything will be based on publicly available targets, and you will be able to judge us on those goals.

3. We're not that smart. We're going to make mistakes. Flip flopping is isn't bad, it's the correct response to new information that challenges existing views.

4. We will look for root causes, not try and treat symptoms. Why is it that the British economy is importing (say) certain types of labor? What is it we can change with the tax, benefit and education systems that makes it so that British people are more likely to be employed in these roles? Why is it that there are so few homes being built?

5. We won't lie to you. Things are going to be tough. There are an increasing number of people out there, all of whom want to live Western lives and they're willing to work longer and harder, because they're poorer. There's no free lunch and we can't simply shut ourselves off from the world.

The biggest problem with this, and Covid threw up lots of interesting examples, is that our incredibly large and bureaucratic state
    FIFY

The biggest problem with evidence based policy making is the horrifying danger that the evidence might go against our personal prejudices. And/or How Things Are Done
    It's a bit of a chimera anyway because people's definition of evidence differs and on any important issue you can never take all relevant evidence into account and selecting what you use is a subjective exercise.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

theakes said:

Education. I shall spend an hour on Christmas Day composing my letter, personal and confidential, to Starmer about his policy that will costing parents, who really scrape by to send their kids to private education, another 20%, because of his class based plan over VAT and Tax. I am in a Con/Lab marginal and would have voted Labour for the first time in 60 years, but not now, be either a wasted Lib Dem vote or abstain.

We'll have a whip round for you.

Sorry, but no sympathy. Charitable status for privates schools is an utter sham. No reason on earth why an VAT exemption that benefits the wealthiest 7% of the population should persist. Private education is a corrosive influence on this country.
    You can have sympathy for those whose life arrangements might be overturned by changes in government, even if you support the policy ?
    (I'm agnostic on it myself, given the significant downsides, which ydoethur notes.)
    I suspect most will find a way to cover the extra cost but yes I do have sympathy for those whose life arrangements might be impacted by these changes, particularly the children.

Personally, I would make the VAT change for new entrants but I can see that might not stand up in the courts.

And are we to say that this private school VAT and charitable privilege can never be removed, since it will always affect someone?
    I think we should accept that parents who choose to opt out of state education and pay for the privilege should get the tacit acknowledgement that they deserve a bit of a break from the state, for that.
    Only wealthy people can do that. Most people couldn't afford it even if they "scrimp and save".

Should people with health insurance get some form of tax break too?
    Absolutely they should.
    Absolutely ludicrous. This nonsense argument that actually people are using private provision for the good of the state is laughable.
    Should we also take away tax breaks for private pension contributions?
    Very different. The pensions are taxed in payment, so there's a logic to not taxing the contributions.
  • Options

Every politician has flaws.
    I am just asking you to name some. I am sure we would agree.
    For what it’s worth,

If you think he’s done nothing wrong, I am not sure we will. From my side, I think he has more political capital to spend, and he should be bolder about the things that need to change. We are in a bad state, and we need institutional reform, and he has a big opportunity to deliver it.

He is desperately fearful of losing the election, and is cautious to a fault, and given the parlous state of the country I think he is being too cautious.

To that end he is very good at criticising (to be fair, anyone who is facing the Tories would have got that down to a fine art) but is not particularly good at verbalising what he would do differently.
    Just because I don't think he's done anything wrong, it doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws.
    That wasn’t implicit in what you said, but whatever, I have mentioned some now as you asked.
  • Options

During the last Labour Government, people were annoyed that they were being seen too quickly by their GP. The 48 hour target was hit so often, that people were told they needed to book within 48 hours.

Under the last Labour Government, the cancer target was hit.

Under the last Labour Government, the A&E 4 hour target was hit in over 90% of cases.

Before the last Labour government, all targets were missed and the NHS was on its knees. After the last Labour government, all targets are being missed and the NHS is on its knees.

The Tories are the problem. It is hard to conclude they are anything but incompetent at running it.

Governments shouldn’t be running things

I certainly agree that Tory Governments shouldn't be running things.
    They are not so much 'running things' as running things into the ground.
  • Options

For what it’s worth,

If you think he’s done nothing wrong, I am not sure we will. From my side, I think he has more political capital to spend, and he should be bolder about the things that need to change. We are in a bad state, and we need institutional reform, and he has a big opportunity to deliver it.

He is desperately fearful of losing the election, and is cautious to a fault, and given the parlous state of the country I think he is being too cautious.

To that end he is very good at criticising (to be fair, anyone who is facing the Tories would have got that down to a fine art) but is not particularly good at verbalising what he would do differently.
    Just because I don't think he's done anything wrong, it doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws.
    That wasn’t implicit in what you said, but whatever, I have mentioned some now as you asked.
    Good points, I gave you an upvote.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

theakes said:

Education. I shall spend an hour on Christmas Day composing my letter, personal and confidential, to Starmer about his policy that will costing parents, who really scrape by to send their kids to private education, another 20%, because of his class based plan over VAT and Tax. I am in a Con/Lab marginal and would have voted Labour for the first time in 60 years, but not now, be either a wasted Lib Dem vote or abstain.

We'll have a whip round for you.

Sorry, but no sympathy. Charitable status for privates schools is an utter sham. No reason on earth why an VAT exemption that benefits the wealthiest 7% of the population should persist. Private education is a corrosive influence on this country.
    The snag, as I have said before, is that VAT on school fees won't solve it.

It won't affect Eton, or Winchester, or Roedean.

It will wreck small private schools taking children who can't cope elsewhere, which actually *is* a valuable social function.

It will also wreck some right dodgy places too - hopefully including the private school in Cannock, which is a truly ghastly place on all levels (and which incidentally is a limited company already in common with most private schools) - but overall it feels to me like it's the wrong policy aimed at the wrong target.

As an aside, if reform of VAT to improve the education system were to be considered, a bloody good start would be to change the VAT status of VIth form colleges to bring them in line with schools.
    My neighbour and friend who has recently retired as a teacher at what I guess is a middling local private school makes exactly the same point and I admit it has some power.

Of course the question this point begs is: what happens to those children who can't cope elsewhere and whose parents lack either the income and/or the motivation to send them to said private school?
    I can answer this one because I listened to an LBC phone in Either Tom Swarbrick or Ben Kentish....

The local authority has a statutory duty to provide appropriate education (And transport to if pupils live beyond a certain distance of said institutions). There's a massive industry in providing said education for SEND pupils with no worries about parents paying any sort of bill because the Local authority is statutorily obliged to because there isn't appropriate state provision. And it sounded like a blank cheque for the private schools providing such education quite honestly.#
    You'd hope central Gov't would refund councils the VAT element of this if it's made obligatory for private schools as that's simply one area of Gov't shifting money to another, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    That's interesting. I will have to ask my friend if her school takes publicly funded pupils with extra needs. (I have a feeling not - the parents who are paying would surely object.)
    It's not something my private school did back in the day. I couldn't be sure, but I got the impression that these are entirely different schools to the private schools for the slightly better off; various LA pay ALL the fees for every pupil there. There seemed to be huge mileage (And transportation charges) to and from them too as the effective catchments are enormous. The phone in was specifically should better off parents of SEND kids have to make a contribution towards the fees - with the balance of callers deciding "No".
    If the LA didn't pay, the guardians of child with Special Needs will argue that those needs are health based. They could then turn to the NHS for funding.
    While most adults living in homes requiring care are LA funded, health authorities have ICB (integrated care board) which will fund the cost of care for those with medical conditions that are ongoing and require care.
  • Options

During the last Labour Government, people were annoyed that they were being seen too quickly by their GP. The 48 hour target was hit so often, that people were told they needed to book within 48 hours.

Under the last Labour Government, the A&E 4 hour target was hit in over 90% of cases.

Before the last Labour government, all targets were missed and the NHS was on its knees. After the last Labour government, all targets are being missed and the NHS is on its knees.

The Tories are the problem. It is hard to conclude they are anything but incompetent at running it.

At this point I believe it is on purpose. Rishi should stop being a coward and call the election.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

1) the NHS in my experience is tremendous at saving your life, but terrible with just about everything else.
    2) I consider it a duty to not be too much of a burden on the state, and as I can afford it, I opt out.

I highly doubt this factors into your decision at all but congratulations, you are a minority of 1.
    This is an absolutely commonplace motivation. At least, it is amongst the Tory activists I know!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

This is an absolutely commonplace motivation. At least, it is amongst the Tory activists I know!
    It isn't amongst anyone I've ever known or met and most of them have private healthcare.
  • Options

At this point I believe it is on purpose. Rishi should stop being a coward and call the election.
    Is this the current incarnation of 'Lockdown NOW' that a certain non wired equine kept opining for?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,429
    rcs1000 said:

Much sense here - but you'll be labelled a (boo hiss) Technocrat and lose the election to a colourful 'character' with a Vision.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Is this the current incarnation of 'Lockdown NOW' that a certain non wired equine kept opining for?
    So you are out of up to date points.

If you wish to discuss lockdown, I now believe the entire thing was a mistake. I was wrong to call for a lockdown and I regret doing so.

I am able to hold my hands up, will you ever apologise for supporting this bunch of arseholes?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231

OK I am calling it. SKS derangement syndrome has achieved community transmission and is close to becoming endemic among PB Tories and fellow travellers. Signs of infection include going on about what school he went to and accusing him of avoiding scrutiny by going on the Today programme. More extreme cases may result in patients claiming he has photoshopped a picture with his wife to make him look taller than her when he is in fact taller than her. Scientist warn that no vaccine is likely to become available soon, and suggest that sufferers are quarantined to avoid secondary symptoms of extreme boredom setting in among uninfected individuals.

Is it a mutation of the Johnson Variant?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

So far the anti Starmer brigade have come up with several reasons why he should not PM. Went to a private school, not tall enough, flip flops, boring and out of touch. I wonder if any can spot the fatal flaw why this might not quite work......

Sir Keir Starmer did not go to a private school.
    Is Wikipedia wrong?

"He attended the selective state Reigate Grammar School, which became a private school while he was a student."
    Average Ninja is correct, as 'go' is usually read as "being sent by his parents". And he couldn't very well be 'sent' more than once could he?

Also - his status didn't change (grandfather rights), so no fees IIRC.
    I believe he had grandfather rights to 16. He could have gone to a state sixth form college for his A Levels but instead was paid for by the state to stay on at Reigate Grammar.

What I find odd about all this is that no one talks about the fact he passed the eleven plus and went to a grammar school. Not that social mobility is really that important politically, but he makes a big thing of his working class roots. I’d genuinely be interested to hear if he thinks he could have made it to DPP if he’d gone to a comprehensive.

Deleted: sorry misread your question and answered another one.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Mortimer said:

If you wish to discuss lockdown, I now believe the entire thing was a mistake. I was wrong to call for a lockdown and I regret doing so.

I am able to hold my hands up, will you ever apologise for supporting this bunch of arseholes?
    Vs Corbyn? Not at all, I think my spending a month helping to run a parliamentary campaign was time well spent.

Just as I would take 3 months off to go and help a Scindy defence!

I won't be voting for Sunak next time, however. We've had enough of this Lib dem-esque govt imo...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

So far the anti Starmer brigade have come up with several reasons why he should not PM. Went to a private school, not tall enough, flip flops, boring and out of touch. I wonder if any can spot the fatal flaw why this might not quite work......

Is Wikipedia wrong?

"He attended the selective state Reigate Grammar School, which became a private school while he was a student."
    Average Ninja is correct, as 'go' is usually read as "being sent by his parents". And he couldn't very well be 'sent' more than once could he?

I believe he had grandfather rights to 16. He could have gone to a state sixth form college for his A Levels but instead was paid for by the state to stay on at Reigate Grammar.

What I find odd about all this is that no one talks about the fact he passed the eleven plus and went to a grammar school. Not that social mobility is really that important politically, but he makes a big thing of his working class roots. I’d genuinely be interested to hear if he thinks he could have made it to DPP if he’d gone to a comprehensive.

My better half's Dad flunked his 11+ but did a PhD and had a lecturing career so who knows for Keir.
    That's interesting, and perhaps not all that uncommon as plenty of people are late developers. May I ask which subject?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Doesn’t really work if you’re Team Tory, though nowadays most of them seem to loathe Rishi as much as SKS. If you’re on the two cheeks of the same arse part of the spectrum it’s fine.
    The other thing that confuses me about our PB SKS haters. They keep complaining that SKS is copying the Tories, only he is saner (which is what 'boring' means in the context of May/Johnson/Truss/Truss again/Sunak). So what are they complaining about?
    They're like aging prizefighters going through the motions to win their meagre share of the purse with zero expectation of victory.

Entirely coincidentally I watched Scorsese's finest last night leading me to coin the phrase Raging Bullshitters, which is a rough approximation of where Tories are at the moment.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Vs Corbyn? Not at all, I think my spending a month helping to run a parliamentary campaign was time well spent.

I won't be voting for Sunak next time, however. We've had enough of this Lib dem-esque govt imo...
    Lib Dem like? What planet are you living on?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,627

OK I am calling it. SKS derangement syndrome has achieved community transmission and is close to becoming endemic among PB Tories and fellow travellers. Signs of infection include going on about what school he went to and accusing him of avoiding scrutiny by going on the Today programme. More extreme cases may result in patients claiming he has photoshopped a picture with his wife to make him look taller than her when he is in fact taller than her. Scientist warn that no vaccine is likely to become available soon, and suggest that sufferers are quarantined to avoid secondary symptoms of extreme boredom setting in among uninfected individuals.

And he supports Arsenal, who are sponsored by Rwanda, so he's a complete hypocrite and a total fucker.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

I don't know of course but I suspect he'd say 'no'.

That of course, is not an argument for grammar schools or the 11+, quite the opposite.
    That's the attitude that results in opportunities being taken away from working class people in the name of progress.
  • Options
    Sir Keir Starmer once went to a fancy restaurant, he's clearly a conman and a liar.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

That of course, is not an argument for grammar schools or the 11+, quite the opposite.
    That's the attitude that results in opportunities being taken away from working class people in the name of progress.
    Like, erh, Sir Keir Starmer?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Banning things, putting up taxes, growing the state etc etc

Most left wing govt of my lifetime.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

You must be on a wind-up. Most left wing government of your life?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

Yes, that's why I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on this subject.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,190

HYUFD said:

As it has good discipline in the classroom and high expectations of its pupils. So what is actually needed is more of that and more choice for parents

Singapore has state-owned railways.

I am sure you won't be talking about that though.
    Singapore has the death penalty for drug traffickers.

Let’s run an @rcs1000 style empirical experiment to see if it works here too.
    This is a classic example about how we need to reframe political debate: what's the goal? What are the trade offs?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I love this but apparently I am a moderate Hanovarian Tory. Is that an eighteenth century centrist dad? Quite alarmed to be a Tory, anyway, might need to go and lie down for a bit.
  • Options
    All this SKS attacking is just to distract from the fact that the Tories are currently plunging the UK into a recession.

The only attack they had left for Labour, that they cause recessions, is nearly dead. And for all that economic work, we've got the NHS in its worst state ever, nothing works anymore, the country is bitterly divided and people are leaving.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

Exactly. He benefitted from the 11+ grammar school system.
  • Options

Sir Keir Starmer once went to a fancy restaurant, he's clearly a conman and a liar.

There's nothing that grates with the working classes than. when upper/middle class people try and pass themselves off as working class.

Speaking as a working class Northerner, it riles up Northerners the most.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,028

He has a distinctly unattractive voice.
    Needs a vocal coach.
  • Options

This is what PB Tories spend their nights looking at
  • Options

There's nothing that grates with the working classes than. when upper/middle class people try and pass themselves off as working class.

Speaking as a working class Northerner, it riles up Northerners the most.
    Yes but SKS actually is working class though. That's the thing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

He has a distinctly unattractive voice.
    Needs a vocal coach.
    Agree with that - and have said so before.
  • Options

So was most of the party, though, so it's more of an objection to Labour than Starmer himself.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I've said it again, the Boris Johnson government is delivering large parts of Michael Foot's 1983 manifesto.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

So was most of the party, though, so it's more of an objection to Labour than Starmer himself.
    But principled people in the Labour Party refused to serve under Corbyn, Starmer served in his shadow cabinet.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

My answer (which I deleted) was to the wrong question (which I misread).

I was thinking of Secondary Moderns when tlg86 asked about Comprehensives.

If everyone went to a comprehensive then it would of course be true that you can become DPP. Starmer's successor went to a comprehensive, I believe.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Moderate Hanoverian Tory for me
  • Options

This is what PB Tories spend their nights looking at

They've just photoshopped his head onto Trump ?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

But principled people in the Labour Party refused to serve under Corbyn, Starmer served in his shadow cabinet.
    He resigned from the Shadow Cabinet and said he should resign.

My view is that if he hadn't served, he would never have been elected. So whilst I agree with what you are saying, I do believe his decision is justified.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

And if only Corbynites had served in the shadow cabinet Corbyn would probably have been succeeded as leader by another loon, so thank God he did.
  • Options

Serious.

Seriously?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

How do you know he wouldn't have done just as well at a comprehensive?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

OK now I am really worried...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

How, within the space of one government, do you iterate trials of school policy ?
    And I would guess most parents would not be particularly keen on a mass parallel experiment with their kids as test subjects.

Your general point isn't a bad one, but it ignores the difficulties inherent in political, as opposed to commercial decisions.
    The truth is, we've already had lots of experiments with various school systems - selective, comprehensive, LEA, direct grant, grant maintained, city academies, academies, academy trusts, vocational, academic, and on and on. The data goes back 80 years and is genuinely plentiful.

The problem is they all show one thing - our education system never achieves what we ostensibly want it too.

And that's because we've never done the one thing that might make a difference - made per pupil funding in state schools the same level as private schools.

IMV (and as I've said boringly many times): parents matters just as much as school. If a relatively unscholarly kid has parents who are willing to invest time and effort into their kid(s), then that kid may bloom - even if it is only in finding something that does 'click' with them. If a relatively bright kid has parents who are not interested in school, or in getting the kid to school (as I fear is happening with one of my son's friends), then that kid will always struggle.

Choice for parents is irrelevant if the parents are uninterested in educating their kids. IMV it is mainly of advantage to middle-class parents anyway.

In my case, our son will probably have the choice of two secondary schools (village colleges in Cambridgeshire-speak). I like both of them; but the one that is furthest away is in big demand and I doubt he'd get in. So the 'choice' becomes either the very local school, a *really* long drive, or private.

Hence the case for more free schools too
  • Options

Nigelb said:

And if only Corbynites had served in the shadow cabinet Corbyn would probably have been succeeded as leader by another loon, so thank God he did.
    I can tell you from my experience at Labour Party meetings, SKS serving made people vote for him. We'd have RLB as leader now if he hadn't done that.

Emily Thornberry is a reliable source on what SKS was like during Cabinet and she and Keir were most definitely against mostly everything Corbyn did and said.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You voted for them!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

What I find odd about all this is that no one talks about the fact he passed the eleven plus and went to a grammar school. Not that social mobility is really that important politically, but he makes a big thing of his working class routes. I’d genuinely be interested to hear if he thinks he could have made it to DPP if he’d gone to a comprehensive.

Mm, I'm also struck by the Tories here and elsewhere. Not very logical are they?

If SKS went to a private fee paying school, then that's no more than they think right and proper for our lords and masters.

If SKS went the grammar route, ditto right and proper for the inferior middle classes (but only Etonians etc should rule).

I expect most Conservatives would rather the grammar educated Thatcher as PM than most of the post war Etonian PMs we have had
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I was born in the 1980s, and it absolutely is the most left-wing govt I've experienced.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

If everyone went to a comprehensive then it would of course be true that you can become DPP. Starmer's successor went to a comprehensive, I believe.
    That's also the wrong question. It's not whether it's possible for anyone to go from a comprehensive to become DPP but whether it's possible for a specific hypothetical person - the person for whom going to a grammar school previously made the difference.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You voted for them!
    I voted for Truss, not Blair-lite Sunak
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I voted for Truss, not Blair-lite Sunak

You can never speak of Labour economic incompetence again.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,350

DougSeal said:

I love this but apparently I am a moderate Hanovarian Tory. Is that an eighteenth century centrist dad? Quite alarmed to be a Tory, anyway, might need to go and lie down for a bit.
    I think it's centrist dad adjacent at least.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

We'll never know, of course, but I'd like to know what he thinks. Successful people tend to be nice about their school so it would be awkward for him to say "yeah, it was all me, so long as I had decent teachers I was always going to make it".
  • Options
    For too long, football fans have been treated as an afterthought.

If I’m Prime Minister, I’ll make sure the European Super League doesn’t happen.

It’s time to start putting fans first.

https://x.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1738183425817706527

*grabs popcorn*
  • Options
    edited December 2023

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

Like the great Liz Truss, our first PM fully educated at a comprehensive for her secondary education.

Or those great election winners comprehensive educated William Hague and Ed Miliband.

Regardless of whether privately educated Sunak or grammar and privately educated Starmer win the next general election we are still waiting for a fully comprehensive educated, general election winning PM
  • Options

Is Wikipedia wrong?

"Is Wikipedia wrong?"

The words that will be etched into the tombstone of Western Civilisation.
  • Options

*grabs popcorn*

Typical anti-European populism. ;)
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

John Roberts, Donald Trump and the ghosts of Bush v. Gore
    The Supreme Court may become the decisive player in the 2024 election.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/21/john-roberts-donald-trump-supreme-court-election-00132975

The article suggests Roberts will try to broker a pragmatic, rather than strictly legal decision.
    We'll see.

One thing it might have mentioned is that three of the Republican attorneys who helped litigate Bush v Gore now sit on the Court.

Well, quite a lot of the press (e.g. the FT) failed to mention that all 7 members of the Colorado Supreme Court were Democrat appointees so I guess there has to be balance somewhere.
    A typically asinine comment.

Colorado is a solidly Democratic state, so it is utterly unremarkable.
    Indeed if you had bothered to check out the justices themselves, you'd have noted that there is little about any of them that's politically ;as opposed to legally) notable.
    https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Supreme_Court/Justices.cfm

That a third of the U.S. Supreme Court participated as advocates for a political party on one side of one of the most politically charged (and legally unmoored in
    precedent) decisions in its history is slightly more worthy of note, to my mind.
    Only if you think they are incapable of doing their job
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

Like the great Liz Truss, our first PM fully educated at a comprehensive for her secondary education.

Or those great election winners comprehensive educated William Hague and Ed Miliband
    Oh HY :(
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Is there lots of choice for parents in Singapore? And Singapore dedicates a higher proportion of its spending to education.
    https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SE.XPD.TOTL.GB.ZS?locations=SG-GB
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

Or those great election winners comprehensive educated William Hague and Ed Miliband
    Good to see you catching the Truss Train, HY! All aboard!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Looks like in the 18th century we would have been on the same side with Mortimer, battling Whigs like TSE and Carnyx
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

If only William Hague had gone to a grammar school, he'd have won that election. Right.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

No, it is a case for more local schools.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

Benefiting from something doesn't mean you have to support it or view it as a good thing. Eg I benefited from the venal bonus culture in the pre-crash City.
  • Options

Serious.

Seriously?

Helpful that he has a sign on his t-shirt explaining who he is though.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

Well, yes, if we banned private and grammar schools then comps would clean up.

Yes, Alison Saunders went to a comp and sixth form college (looks like her family moved around the country a fair bit too). Not that it matters very much in the social mobility debate, but I'd suggest her tenure as DPP wasn't a great advert for comprehensive education. The same can be said of our one PM who went to a comp.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

You won't get many new local secondaries in rural areas beyond maybe free schools, once they leave village primaries most pupils have to travel to the nearest town or city for secondary school
  • Options

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

If only William Hague had gone to a grammar school, he'd have won that election. Right.
    Technically Hague did go to Ripon grammar briefly before moving to Wath upon Dearne comprehensive
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Same as HYUFD. That is a worry. Let's not dwell on it.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I was born in the 1980s, and it absolutely is the most left-wing govt I've experienced.
    No way. Blair was only just left of centre but a long way to the left of the current govenment.

You see 'inept' and assume it must be left-wing, whereas the ineptitude is available on both sides of the political spectrum (see Heath 1970-74).
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,128

Good luck with your personal nuclear deterrent. :)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

I know, terrifying, right?
    It's interesting to see how in the absence of mass suffrage the political questions of the time didn't really split down left/right lines. Standing army or no standing army? Stuarts or Hanovarians? Hard to care one way or t'other.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

No way. Blair was only just left of centre but a long way to the left of the current govenment.

You see 'inept' and assume it must be left-wing, whereas the ineptitude is available on both sides of the political spectrum (see Heath 1970-74).
    The 'bigger state' is mainly down to the pandemic.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/21/john-roberts-donald-trump-supreme-court-election-00132975

The article suggests Roberts will try to broker a pragmatic, rather than strictly legal decision.
    We'll see.

One thing it might have mentioned is that three of the Republican attorneys who helped litigate Bush v Gore now sit on the Court.

Well, quite a lot of the press (e.g. the FT) failed to mention that all 7 members of the Colorado Supreme Court were Democrat appointees so I guess there has to be balance somewhere.

Indeed if you had bothered to check out the justices themselves, you'd have noted that there is little about any of them that's politically ;as opposed to legally) notable.

That a third of the U.S. Supreme Court participated as advocates for a political party on one side of one of the most politically charged (and legally unmoored in
    precedent) decisions in its history is slightly more worthy of note, to my mind.
    No, that's only Alito and Thomas.

I don't see, though, why you would wish for the nakedly political past of the three to be ignored, in the context of a case like this, even if you acknowledged they are capable ?
    I said it was worthy of note, not that they should be disqualified. It seems bizarre to suggest it shouldn't be.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

I know, terrifying, right?
    It's interesting to see how in the absence of mass suffrage the political questions of the time didn't really split down left/right lines. Standing army or no standing army? Stuarts or Hanovarians? Hard to care one way or t'other.
    Believe it or not, history students will be looking back at our great divides in 300 years (if we're still around then) and saying much the same thing.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

You won't get many new local secondaries in rural areas beyond maybe free schools, once they leave village primaries most pupils have to travel to the nearest town or city for secondary school
    How would you get a Free School there - the money available from the DfE wouldn't provide enough for the school to work...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,369
    edited December 2023
    viewcode said:

Good luck with your personal nuclear deterrent. :)
    I always saw Trident as a metaphorical sock down the trousers, perhaps SW will bring this into actual being.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

I believe the £38,700 threshold for migrant workers still applies to individual immigrants however

I think it is wrong that a British citizen cannot bring his/her spouse to the UK unless they jump over an arbitrary income hurdle

The issue is chain migration and a non-contributory welfare state

To be honest a lot of issues are oils be meaningfully progressed by switching to a contribution based (or time served) welfare system.

But no politician is going theee
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Looks like in the 18th century we would have been on the same side with Mortimer, battling Whigs like TSE and Carnyx
    What an incredible political force we would be.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The 'bigger state' is mainly down to the pandemic.
    And the population aging.

There is, of course, more than one left-right axis. On economics, this one isn't very right wing. It's protectionist, relatively high-spending, not worried about balanced budgets, and moving away from the free (or regulated) market in quite a few areas.

It is, however, very right-wing on the authoritarian/liberal axis and the nationalist/internationalist ones, for example.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

What an incredible political force we would be.
    Incredible is the word.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Sixth Form colleges appear to work.
    Perhaps partly because they don't get effed around with quite so often.

Resources, of course, is why the original postwar tripartite system was such a failure for everyone but the grammar school kids. Not much has changed since, in that
    respect.
    I've been impressed by my eldest
    daughter's sixth form college.

Got to give them credit for that: selling parents to the navy is an innovative way of generating additional funds while simultaneously solving manning issues in the armed forces

May be @rcs1000 should run a pilot study?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896

*grabs popcorn*

Typical anti-European populism. ;)
    The replies. Straight on to Gaza genocide and Starmer the infant murderer.

Greetings all from the festive liminal space that is the motorway services at Aire de Langres Perruguey. 439m asl.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

We'll see.

Very capable of doing their job ... of removing women's bodily autonomy. They delivered.
  • Options
    The one following on the other is only too sadly predictable.

Brianna Ghey’s parents call for compassion for her killers’ families
    Esther Ghey says teenagers who murdered her daughter have shown no remorse, but asks for empathy for their parents
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/20/parents-of-brianna-ghey-pay-tribute-to-beautful-daughter-after-pair-convicted-of

Brianna Ghey trial: judge warns against threats towards killers’ families
    In written judgment stating two teenagers can be named, Mrs Justice Yip urges people to avoid ‘vitriol or malice’
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/22/brianna-ghey-trial-judge-warns-against-threats-towards-killers-families
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Sixth Form colleges appear to work.
    Perhaps partly because they don't get effed around with quite so often.

Resources, of course, is why the original postwar tripartite system was such a failure for everyone but the grammar school kids. Not much has changed since, in that
    respect.
    I've been impressed by my eldest
    daughter's sixth form college.

Got to give them credit for that: selling parents to the navy is an innovative way of generating additional funds while simultaneously solving manning issues in the armed forces

May be @rcs1000 should run a pilot study?
    Ships' pilots ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568

I can agree with that.
    Eliminate from the next election everyone who worked for any of Corbyn, Johnson or Truss to be Prime Minister, and the LibDems might stand a fighting chance….
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,707

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Is Wikipedia wrong?

The exact opposite tends to happen. Middle class parents get their children tutored for the 11 plus whereas working class parents often don't so the Grammar school system is biased against working class children.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    edited December 2023
    I’m “Court - non-aligned”. Is that Lib Dem?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You’re not thinking very clearly today.

How does “most left wing” equate with LibDem-like?

Tories love banning stuff.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Always fun, this sort of thing. Turns out I am (or would have been) 'Court - Non-Aligned':

You epitomise the Court - you are interested in carrying on the Queen's government, governing pragmatically, and avoiding the extremes of party. You're probably also quite keen on feathering your own nest and gaining power for the sake of it - and war is usually a good way of doing that. You may have at some point been a Whig or Tory, or both, but you're really a partisan of the Looking Out for Number 1 Party

Bit harsh on the corruption thing but not a million miles out on the 'no fixed party alignment' one.
This discussion has been closed.