Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Liz Truss improve Tory fortunes? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited December 2023 in General
Could Liz Truss improve Tory fortunes? – politicalbetting.com

Exclusive— Rishi Sunak is now polling **worse than Liz Truss** with the key voters who decided the last election— Sunak has presided over a “year of decline” that’s caused an “implosion” in the Tory vote, according to a major study by @JLPartnersPollshttps://t.co/flTxtASNVI

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Test to see the comments work?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Second like Liverpool.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    So clearly the Tories should never have got rid of Boris.

Even after he resigned when he was still PM in August 2022 and after partygate and Pinchergate etc Boris retained 74% of 2019 Conservative voters. Truss retained just 63% of them after her disastrous budget and now Sunak is retaining just 59% of them (he has gained a handful of 2019 LDs which means the Tory voteshare is still fractionally above Truss' worst poll ratings but still much worse than under Boris)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited December 2023
    Question To Which The Answer Is Yes.

(@DougSeal can't make it so asked me to fill in)
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    "... as buggered as Zanzibar at 8:59 on the morning of the 27th of August 1896, "

Please explain for us non-historians.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    edited December 2023
    There is and never was no sensible question to which Liz Truss is or was the answer. The Tories are finished and should be focused on damage limitation. 250 MPs in the next Parliament would be a spectacular result from here.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

"... as buggered as Zanzibar at 8:59 on the morning of the 27th of August 1896, "

I think it goes down as the Shortest War in History - the full might of the British Empire -v- a somewhat uppity local Sultan. A few shells from the Royal Navy and the whole show was over after, I believe, 22 minutes, before the Sultan surrendered.
  • Options
    I can't see anyone reviving Tory fortunes. You've tried dragging "Lord" Cameron from his wife's millions, what next, a holographic AI generated Thatcher?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    She and KK will be kicking themselves but all they missed was a funding plan. Now, maybe there wasn't one in which case they could only not provide one.

But I know there were a lot of Cons who liked the messaging but needed some detail on the numbers. For KK who has a PhD in this stuff it was unforgiveable but I hear from friends that he has a touch of the Borises about him wrt hard work.
  • Options

I can't see anyone reviving Tory fortunes. You've tried dragging "Lord" Cameron from his wife's millions, what next, a holographic AI generated Thatcher?

There's a theory that Starmer *is* a holographic AI generated Thatcher.... well, judging from some of the Left's criticisms of him, anyway.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

I think it goes down as the Shortest War in History - the full might of the British Empire -v- a somewhat uppity local Sultan. A few shells from the Royal Navy and the whole show was over after, I believe, 22 minutes, before the Sultan surrendered.
    Yeah but we got Freddy Mercury out of that one (he was born there). What's in this for us?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,788
    All the complaints about the BBC may or may not be justified. I'll just say what I've always said on the matter
    • We need something to unite us as a nation
    • Given the change in the way we watch, a drop in its viewing figures is inevitable
    • If we were still forced to watch television in the way we used to - one set, three/four/five channels - we would think it was a golden age on the BBC
    • PB is dependent on the BBC's political coverage, and we would really miss programmes like Laura Kuenssberg: State of Chaos
    • Every other non-UK alternative (Netflix, CNN, YouTube) cannot replace it because of its parochial nature
    So although I am comfortable with discussions of alternate funding models and its scope, I would regret the departure of the BBC. In fact, given their recent gutting of its news programmes and journalist staff, its news/current affairs/documentaries funding should be expanded not contracted.

Having now definitively settled the matter, you can now speak of something else. You're welcome. :)

See also
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/genres/factual/politics
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    edited December 2023
    eristdoof said:

Shortest war ever, makes you proud to be British.

It started at 9am and it was over by 9.37am.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zanzibar_War
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

The Anglo-Zanzibar War was a military conflict fought between the United Kingdom and the Zanzibar Sultanate on 27 August 1896. The conflict lasted between 38 and 45 minutes, marking it as the shortest recorded war in history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zanzibar_War
  • Options
    viewcode said:

QTWTAIWTF?

So much more succinct than my answer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Even after he resigned when he was still PM in August 2022 and after partygate and Pinchergate etc Boris retained 74% of 2019 Conservative voters. Truss retained just 63% of them after her disastrous budget and now Sunak is retaining just 59% of them (he has gained a handful of 2019 LDs which means the Tory voteshare is still fractionally above Truss' worst poll ratings but still much worse than under Boris)

That's assuming Johnson would have maintained the 74% retention level beyond August 2022.

Since then, he's been found to have lied to Parliament and, had he stayed on, he'd have been at real risk - as sitting PM - of suspension and recall. Had he remained, the COVID inquiry would have been even more horrific for PM Johnson. And he'd have suffered many of the misfortunes of his successors - fuel prices, inflation, failures on immigration etc - plus, no doubt, some extra ones that would have emerged due to his peculiar character defects.

It's ultimately an unknowable, but I think you're being extremely optimistic if you think Johnson's retention rate would have held up at August 2022 levels over the following 16 months had he somehow clung on to the keys to Number 10.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

QTWTAIWTF?

I did say it was a QTWTAIN is in the piece.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That's assuming Johnson would have maintained the 74% retention level beyond August 2022.

Since then, he's been found to have lied to Parliament and, had he stayed on, he'd have been at real risk - as sitting PM - of suspension and recall. Had he remained, the COVID inquiry would have been even more horrific for PM Johnson. And he'd have suffered many of the misfortunes of his successors - fuel prices, inflation, failures on immigration etc - plus, no doubt, some extra ones that would have emerged due to his peculiar character defects.

It's ultimately an unknowable, but I think you're being extremely optimistic if you think Johnson's retention rate would have held up at August 2022 levels over the following 16 months had he somehow clung on to the keys to Number 10.
    Indeed.
  • Options

Rather than being stuck in a 1945-2010 mindset, we need to look more at the wild swings of the 1918-35 elections, with the same kind of voter / party fluidity.

I am actually sympathetic to this, but I would add a rider that such fluidity implies a working majority (25+) in election 202X for party Y. Problem is, although I'm convinced X=4/5 and Y=Labour, I don't know what happens next... :(

• Options

viewcode said:

QTWTAIWTF?

I did say it was a QTWTAIN is in the piece.
    It needed more WTF. I considered WTAF but let's not get silly :)
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    HYUFD said:

Yes they should. He was not fit in character, temperament or - crucially - conduct to stay in office.

Maybe better to say instead that Boris shouldn't have had lockdown parties and shouldn't have covered for Pincher than the Tories shouldn't have got rid of him.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    viewcode said:

All the complaints about the BBC may or may not be justified. I'll just say what I've always said on the matter

• Given the change in the way we watch, a drop in its viewing figures is inevitable
    • If we were still forced to watch television in the way we used to - one set, three/four/five channels - we would think it was a golden age on the BBC
    • PB is dependent on the BBC's political coverage, and we would really miss programmes like Laura Kuenssberg: State of Chaos
    • Every other non-UK alternative (Netflix, CNN, YouTube) cannot replace it because of its parochial nature
    So although I am comfortable with discussions of alternate funding models and its scope, I would regret the departure of the BBC. In fact, given their recent gutting of its news programmes and journalist staff, its news/current affairs/documentaries funding should be expanded not contracted.

Having now definitively settled the matter, you can now speak of something else. You're welcome. :)

See also
    How does the bbc unite the nation when about 10% of households no longer have a licence and of those that do probably a significant portion only have it because they want to watch sky sports or something and they have to.

They are losing about 300k households a year as they go live tv we dont need that
  • Options

eristdoof said:

The background was enforcing the abolition of the slave trade, not just the uppityness of one sultan.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

There's a theory that Starmer *is* a holographic AI generated Thatcher.... well, judging from some of the Left's criticisms of him, anyway.
    At this stage I think he's pretty much just trolling the far left for bantz.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

Yes they should. He was not fit in character, temperament or - crucially - conduct to stay in office.

Maybe better to say instead that Boris shouldn't have had lockdown parties and shouldn't have covered for Pincher than the Tories shouldn't have got rid of him.
    Indeed. Although that's like saying that the cat shouldn't have chased the mouse. Johnson was always going to behave like Johnson; it's in his nature and having been elected despite that nature, first by party and then by country, he was hardly going to see any reason to change - even if he could.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,416
    Pagan2 said:

viewcode said:

See also
    How does the bbc unite the nation when about 10% of households no longer have a licence and of those that do probably a significant portion only have it because they want to watch sky sports or something and they have to.

They are losing about 300k households a year as they go live tv we dont need that
    Indeed.

And in a few years from now, broadcast TV will end. The license fee system is dying slowly.

Things must change so they remain the same.

Otherwise the BBC will go the way of the hydraulic power supply networks.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

viewcode said:

See also
    How does the bbc unite the nation when about 10% of households no longer have a licence and of those that do probably a significant portion only have it because they want to watch sky sports or something and they have to...t
    • By presenting the British case and the British point of view to the world
    • To (attempt to) bring us news of the world
    • To (attempt to) bring us news of the other parts of the UK
    • To create, by hook or by crook, a concept of "the British" at a time where every economic and social force is insistent on defining us out
    I really don't care if anybody watches it in real time at all. I just need something in that space. I don't want a world where news and a sense of self are dictated by Rupert Murdoch, Elon Musk, or any other non-Brit with a ten-figure account. I want something with a British flag on it fighting it out.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Changing leader isn't enough - what they need is a coherent policy platform.

Really, they should call a GE. They don't have a sharpness of policy, they don't have a sense of purpose, they're floundering around in government because that's better for them then floundering around in opposition.

I would say even if you are a Conservative an early GE and some time in the wilderness should be what you want from the party - it's not like SKS's Labour are going to do anything useful or good that massively overturns Tory orthodoxy.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,220
    Watching Russia Today on Gaza

It’s really keen for other Arab nations to get involved and attack Israel. They’ve got some Turkish-Palestinian activist who until recently has been saying “Turkey has an army of 2m million men and they will save the Gazans”… and now he looks all sheepish and evasive

At what point do the poor Palestinians realise that every other Muslim nation doesn’t give a fuck. It’s all for show. They won’t stop Israel, they won’t lift a finger. They barely give any aid. They are relying on America to rein in Bibi and…. That’s it
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There is and never was no sensible question to which Liz Truss is or was the answer. The Tories are finished and should be focused on damage limitation. 250 MPs in the next Parliament would be a spectacular result from here.

Indeed. What we need now is

A sensible Budget Spring 2024 built on proper Conservative principles

Rishi to call the election for 2 May 2024

CON to provide a manifesto built on proper Conservative principles (which has been very much have been in absence recently)

CON will still lose but we go down with dignity and as you indicate could possibly get 250 max
  • Options
    viewcode said:

See also
    If we need something to unite us as a nation - why should it be the BBC?

If we're living in a world where only 10% or so pay the license fee, and even fewer watch it - we should accept that. The BBC does not need to representative of the British license fee payer, or even for them. It could just be another service that some people use, and some don't, that serves a public good and is paid for by a tax.

It could:
    a) provide a hub for home grown talent that may not otherwise be commercially viable
    b) provide educational television that may not otherwise be commercially viable
    c) provide a non-partisan but still fact based news service
    d) be an method of outreach and soft power of British culture

I would argue that the BBC is currently good at b) and d) - in terms of a) it does provide some avenues for home grown talent, but it could be riskier, and in terms of c) the BBC is very pro-establishment (currently Tory, but essentially whoever is in government) and mistakes attempts at being "balanced" as giving equal time to people who say 2+2=4 and people who believe 2+2=5.

In terms of news and (especially) politics - I think the BBC nationally is abysmal at giving opportunities to people who aren't "in the club". This is juxtaposed with their quite diverse and varied talent in their regional teams and coverage. I think more BBC regional news and politics media should be the powerhouse of news and politics talent - individuals who have worked their way up and proved themselves to be good at holding politicians to account and telling straight (as in not opinion) based news.
  • Options
    The problem isn't Sunak, just as it wasn't Truss or Johnson. The problem is all of them. It doesn't matter which of them has the top job, it is the same 20 odd people at the top of the same party. In the minds of the voters, they've all got to go.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pagan2 said:

viewcode said:

See also
    How does the bbc unite the nation when about 10% of households no longer have a licence and of those that do probably a significant portion only have it because they want to watch sky sports or something and they have to...t
    • To create, by hook or by crook, a concept of "the British" at a time where every economic and social force is insistent on defining us out
    I really don't care if anybody watches it in real time at all. I just need something in that space. I don't want a world where news and a sense of self are dictated by Rupert Murdoch, Elon Musk, or any other non-Brit with a ten-figure account. I want something with a British flag on it fighting it out.
    Yes but if 20% of people arent watching any of it then it is hardly uniting is it. Frankly I don't go near the bbc at all for anything. I know quite a few like me. Nor do we bother with itv or sky nor even the murdoch media or twitter or facebook.

We dont need them, I wouldn't trust any of them to tell the truth and haven't for years. It is a common view held by most people because we used to read stuff where we knew a lot about the subject and the reporting of most were so hilariously wrong and misleading it was a joke.

Now I am not saying they are deliberately lying I am merely saying most journalists are drawn from non technical disciplines. They don't understand science, technology, basic maths which is what most of the real world turns on. Also over the last 2 decades they seem to have decided that reporting actual facts is less important than reporting their opinions about actual facts.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,157
    One of the things we lost when we (the nation) moved away from broadcast news/entertainment to the various subscription services was the common experience of synchronised viewing. It used to be possible, and highly rewarding to compare and discuss what was on the tele last night. Of course we still get some of that with live sport (for subscribers), royal marriages and deaths and PM questions. It used to be a common thread that helped to bind us together. Now there's a multitude of different communities tuned in to FB/tictoc/WhatsApp etc,etc. It doesn't do much for social cohesion
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pagan2 said:

viewcode said:

See also
    There is no single coherent "British case" or "British point of view", though - unless you mean the government of the day in which case I would rather the BBC become less of a mouthpiece for whoever finds themselves in government at the time, not more so.

It also should not be up to the BBC to create a concept of "the British". I wouldn't mind the BBC hosting the conversation about what it means to be British, or the different ways to be British - but there shouldn't be any top down force defining Britishness on people; because, after you have that definition, what happens to those people (whether born here from a long line of people born here or not) who disagree with that idea of Britishness? Or even dislikes the very notion of a sense of Britishness, as I'm sure many Scotch, Welsh, Cornish etc. people would?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,449
    If the Tories are going to change leader (and if still in power, PM again), it doesn't make sense to go back to Truss, as her reputation has been comprehensively trashed with the wider public - though she continues to be quite successful at rehabilitating herself with conservatives. They would be starting from back at behind zero, not at the clean slate which every new leader gets.

There aren't really any great options (and I class keeping Rishi Sunak as amongst those not great options), but I favour Jake Berry at the moment.

I don't think you can write off a return to the cabinet for Truss, as she was a fairly successful minister.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,709
    Leon said:

It’s really keen for other Arab nations to get involved and attack Israel. They’ve got some Turkish-Palestinian activist who until recently has been saying “Turkey has an army of 2m million men and they will save the Gazans”… and now he looks all sheepish and evasive

At what point do the poor Palestinians realise that every other Muslim nation doesn’t give a fuck. It’s all for show. They won’t stop Israel, they won’t lift a finger. They barely give any aid. They are relying on America to rein in Bibi and…. That’s it

A little harsher than I might've put it, but you're right.
    Since the other Arab nations have lost conventional war after conventional war against Israel between 1948 and 1973, they've now just given up.

They say (domestically) they support Palestine and want to push the Israelis into the sea, but that's just for domestic consumption. They've no intention of doing anything at all. Not even Egypt, who've been offered Gaza (And used to own it). They just don't want to know.
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt has blamed Brexit for more than half a decade of political instability that has undermined business investment in the UK, as he sought to defend tax cuts paid for by public sector austerity to drive up economic growth.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/04/jeremy-hunt-blames-brexit-instability
  • Options
    "Sports Illustrated Published Articles by Fake, AI-Generated Writers" - an article about a magazine publishing ai-generated articles, claiming they are written by fake authors, and then providing ai-generated pictures and text for the fake author's biography.

https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers
  • Options
    Sellafield nuclear site hacked by groups linked to Russia and China
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/04/sellafield-nuclear-site-hacked-groups-russia-china
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    geoffw said:

One of the things we lost when we (the nation) moved away from broadcast news/entertainment to the various subscription services was the common experience of synchronised viewing. It used to be possible, and highly rewarding to compare and discuss what was on the tele last night. Of course we still get some of that with live sport (for subscribers), royal marriages and deaths and PM questions. It used to be a common thread that helped to bind us together. Now there's a multitude of different communities tuned in to FB/tictoc/WhatsApp etc,etc. It doesn't do much for social cohesion

Personally I am glad that has gone, it didn't create social cohesion it created an in and an out crowd in most gathering places. A herd mentality where i must watch "eastenders" because all the rest of my office does else I sit on my own while they all talk about what dirty den did
  • Options
    viewcode said:

"Sports Illustrated Published Articles by Fake, AI-Generated Writers" - an article about a magazine publishing ai-generated articles, claiming they are written by fake authors, and then providing ai-generated pictures and text for the fake author's biography.

https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

One step beyond having readers' letters fill whole pages of newspapers and magazines, not to mention blogs about wagering on politics.
  • Options
    Some people don't need a TV licence, they need a time machine.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    edited December 2023

Mother (Mary)

Queen (Elizabeth)

Leader (Truss)

HER TIME

• Options

Some people don't need a TV licence, they need a time machine.

Indeed, what they remember about this unity is sheer nostalgia and was hell for a lot of us. For example I detest watching sports and back in my barfly days you could guarantee be excluded from pretty much most conversations because it was all "did you see the match,,,,wasnt that goal/try spectacular"
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    viewcode said:

See also
    The direction of travel of the BBC and its fate is not only a cause and consequence of something but also a symptom.

Viewcode says we need something to unite us as a nation. Maybe. But it does not follow that this will actually occur.

The BBC was a candidate for this. PB alone indicates this is no more. Other candidates abound or once did; each person can make their own commentary:

The Crown/Crown in Parliament
    Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Effortless superiority of being top dog
    The good chaps theory of government
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Common law and legal system
    An incorruptible civil order
    'No sex please we're British'
    Our traditions of policing by consent
    A locally spread out aristocracy with obligations as well as rights
    Stiff upper lip/reserve
    John Stuart Mill 'On Liberty'
    The Times/Oxford/Cambridge
    'Fair play' or 'It's not cricket'
    The threat from Vikings/Normans/The French/The Germans/The Russians/Johnny Foreigner.

FWIW I struggle to identify now what would hold us together as a nation, unless it is a literati writing endless articles Why Oh Why on the loss of one or more of the above. Because of reasons.
  • Options

If the Tories are going to change leader (and if still in power, PM again), it doesn't make sense to go back to Truss, as her reputation has been comprehensively trashed with the wider public - though she continues to be quite successful at rehabilitating herself with conservatives. They would be starting from back at behind zero, not at the clean slate which every new leader gets.

There aren't really any great options (and I class keeping Rishi Sunak as amongst those not great options), but I favour Jake Berry at the moment.

I don't think you can write off a return to the cabinet for Truss, as she was a fairly successful minister.

Blue Berry has a majority of under 5,000. Unlikely to be around much longer.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Leon said:

Since the other Arab nations have lost conventional war after conventional war against Israel between 1948 and 1973, they've now just given up.

They say (domestically) they support Palestine and want to push the Israelis into the sea, but that's just for domestic consumption. They've no intention of doing anything at all. Not even Egypt, who've been offered Gaza (And used to own it). They just don't want to know.
    Egypt and Israel have pretty good relations, and have been at peace since 1977. Egypt was also the first Arab country to establish diplomatic relations with Israel. They also have a number of bilateral agreements regarding trade, and management of the Sinai-Gaza border.

Last time I looked, Israel had a greater volume of both imports and exports with Egypt than with the entire rest of the region combined.

So of all the Arab countries, Egypt is the one least like to get involved in Palestine. (Conversely, it makes Israel less likely to attempt to push everyone out of Gaza, because those people would end up in Egypt's Sinai desert, and would do nothing positive to the relations between the two countries.)
  • Options

Leon said:

That’s because after being defeated several times on the battlefield they got, in addition, the Sampson Option.

Defeat Israel, You Die.

This was simple enough for even those at the bottom table of the class.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    geoffw said:

And that's why reality shows are so popular: because they move at a common cadence.
  • Options

I think any new leader would have to commit to resigning and running again in the event of a GE defeat anyway. If he loses his seat, that neatly rules him out.
  • Options
    Smart51 said:

The problem isn't Sunak, just as it wasn't Truss or Johnson. The problem is all of them. It doesn't matter which of them has the top job, it is the same 20 odd people at the top of the same party. In the minds of the voters, they've all got to go.

I have voted Tory in GEs for nearly 50 years. The reason is won't this time has no relation to what they will promise to do in the next up to 12 months, it is what they have already done and what they have already been and what they have already stood for (or not stood for). For me to vote for them they have to change the past.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also
    The direction of travel of the BBC and its fate is not only a cause and consequence of something but also a symptom.

Viewcode says we need something to unite us as a nation. Maybe. But it does not follow that this will actually occur.

The BBC was a candidate for this. PB alone indicates this is no more. Other candidates abound or once did; each person can make their own commentary:

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve
    The threat from Vikings/Normans/The French/The Germans/The Russians/Johnny Foreigner.

FWIW I struggle to identify now what would hold us together as a nation, unless it is a literati writing endless articles Why Oh Why on the loss of one or more of the above. Because of reasons.
    What should hold us together is a tolerance of difference as long as you comply to the british values which i would list as believing we are all equally human and worthy of respect regardless of colour, creed ,sexuality or biological sex. A belief that the same law should apply to all and last but not least in my view not trying to make others conform to our views unless they violate the previous
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

What should hold us together is a tolerance of difference as long as you comply to the british values which i would list as believing we are all equally human and worthy of respect regardless of colour, creed ,sexuality or biological sex. A belief that the same law should apply to all and last but not least in my view not trying to make others conform to our views unless they violate the previous
    Lol - when have those ever been universal British values?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    algarkirk said:

I think you've cracked it. Our new national mission should be to oppose Twenty20 and the IPL.
  • Options

No he doesn't. He has a majority of 9,522 (and boundaries are unchanged). Your conclusion may well be right, but his seat isn't as marginal as you say.
  • Options

9,000. Apologies. But still in danger.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

I didn't claim they were universal, I stated what I believed are british values and I do believe most here hold pretty much those views. The fact there are exceptions means nothing. You won't find universal values anywhere....but I do think probably 80% of people would nod along to those I stated
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    On topic: Possibly.

But it's a tricky set of events to navigate. She'd have to first defect to (and be accepted by) Labour, then get a very senior position, ideally leader - that should improve Tory fortunes. I know she's got form what with the switch from the LDs, but it's a tough ask :wink:
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

What 'should' hold us together is a question. It admits of an infinity of answers from your 'British values' etc - which is pretty much Mill 'On Liberty' liberalism (good luck with that one by the way, go well armed next time you are in a university) to 'a mutual regard for goldfish'. The tricky question is not 'what should' but what does and what will (if anything) do so.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891

algarkirk said:

I think you've cracked it. Our new national mission should be to oppose Twenty20 and the IPL.
    First we must cast out the beam out of our own eye.

https://www.thehundred.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    edit
  • Options

DavidL said:

CON to provide a manifesto built on proper Conservative principles (which has been very much have been in absence recently)

CON will still lose but we go down with dignity and as you indicate could possibly get 250 max
    I would like them to use the remaining months to do something useful. HS2 might have been that thing but they have screwed that. Abolishing NI into IT would be such a thing. Reviving May's "death tax" so that social spending is put on a more realistic footing going forward would be good. Radically reshaping the Met into a police force or forces that are not a national embarrassment and a danger to women would be good too.

Something, anything that addresses at least some of our long term problems. Who knows, doing the right thing might even turn out to be popular.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

I didn't claim they were universal, I stated what I believed are british values and I do believe most here hold pretty much those views. The fact there are exceptions means nothing. You won't find universal values anywhere....but I do think probably 80% of people would nod along to those I stated
    What about Britishness holds those values? Like - even modern Britain does not have a society or even a social norm to uphold those values.

Britishness - in my mind - has as core values a deference to power (whether that be working class crab bucket mentality, or elitist arrogance), a weird exceptionalism (typically based in the Empire, but also as a kind of semi-mythic figure of enlightenment and giver of natural justice to the world) as well as a general view that "things are shit, they deserve to be shit", and "it was shit when I was young and it didn't do me any harm".
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I would like them to use the remaining months to do something useful. HS2 might have been that thing but they have screwed that. Abolishing NI into IT would be such a thing. Reviving May's "death tax" so that social spending is put on a more realistic footing going forward would be good. Radically reshaping the Met into a police force or forces that are not a national embarrassment and a danger to women would be good too.

Something, anything that addresses at least some of our long term problems. Who knows, doing the right thing might even turn out to be popular.
    The only group with a Tory lead in sub-samples is the over 65s. If the Tories would like to lose them as well no better way will be found than merging IT and NI. Those of pension age pay IT but not NI.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

What 'should' hold us together is a question. It admits of an infinity of answers from your 'British values' etc - which is pretty much Mill 'On Liberty' liberalism (good luck with that one by the way, go well armed next time you are in a university) to 'a mutual regard for goldfish'. The tricky question is not 'what should' but what does and what will (if anything) do so.
    The simple answer is nothing does and nothing will as long as people keep dividing us and trying to make us see each other as the other. This is the major problem I have with identity politics....it is divisive not cohesive. Even talk of things like the blue wall and red wall. Not a left vs right statement both sides are doing it.

• Options
    Leon said:

Its been painfully evident since the 1970s that Sunnis and Shias are far more interested in fighting each other than the Jews. The Palestinians are just a pawn used for positioning purposes.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

What about Britishness holds those values? Like - even modern Britain does not have a society or even a social norm to uphold those values.

Britishness - in my mind - has as core values a deference to power (whether that be working class crab bucket mentality, or elitist arrogance), a weird exceptionalism (typically based in the Empire, but also as a kind of semi-mythic figure of enlightenment and giver of natural justice to the world) as well as a general view that "things are shit, they deserve to be shit", and "it was shit when I was young and it didn't do me any harm".
    shrugs sounds like a you problem to me not a uk problem, I only ever hear that sort of crap from people with your ideological leaning
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

The simple answer is nothing does and nothing will as long as people keep dividing us and trying to make us see each other as the other. This is the major problem I have with identity politics....it is divisive not cohesive. Even talk of things like the blue wall and red wall. Not a left vs right statement both sides are doing it.

So what you're saying is no identity but class identity, no struggle but class struggle, no war but class war?
  • Options

algarkirk said:

I really only watch a few Test Matches now, and as much as I can of Ashes series. The rest doesn't seem important enough to spend time on - like football when there is too much and all hyped up none of it is important. Arlott got it right when he said 'Cricket is a triviality but a great triviality'. I am not sure he would feel the same about the culture of cricket now.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The only group with a Tory lead in sub-samples is the over 65s. If the Tories would like to lose them as well no better way will be found than merging IT and NI. Those of pension age pay IT but not NI.
    I know, I know. But it is the right thing to do and does not technically break the lies/fictions that various politicians of various stripes have sold to a credulous public over the last 60 years.
  • Options
    Just realised we have two Truss threads concurrently.

• Options

Just realised we have two Truss threads concurrently.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....
  • Options
    148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

So what you're saying is no identity but class identity, no struggle but class struggle, no war but class war?
    Not what i am saying at all, there is no class identity, there is no struggle and there is no war except in the minds of people like you and thats why no one votes for people like swp/tusc because you are the problem not the solution. That crap is so 1920's sheesh
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

shrugs sounds like a you problem to me not a uk problem, I only ever hear that sort of crap from people with your ideological leaning
    Your idea of British values was all equally human and worthy of respect regardless of colour, creed ,sexuality or biological sex. A belief that the same law should apply to all and last but not least in my view not trying to make others conform to our views unless they violate the previous.

I'm mostly okay with this as an aim (although would say gender and sex rather than biological sex). But this isn't what Britain is, nor has it ever been. Our systems of law are always hugely deferential to power (like, literally laws that carve out exceptions for the monarch, and the way poor people are overpoliced and the elite are... not). We do not treat people equally and worthy of respect regardless of their race, religion, sexuality, gender etc. and movements towards being so are actively opposed by reactionaries and considered "woke". Like, these are just not what Britishness ever has been or currently is.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for @DougSeal, two Truss threads today and he’s nowhere to be seen.
  • Options
    As I argued in my thread header a few months ago, Sunak was likely to become more unpopular with time, because the more people see of him the less they like him. And lo, it has come to pass.
    Can anything save the Tories? In a word, no.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

Not what i am saying at all, there is no class identity, there is no struggle and there is no war except in the minds of people like you and thats why no one votes for people like swp/tusc because you are the problem not the solution. That crap is so 1920's sheesh
    I was being somewhat facetious. And I also hate the SWP (TUSC I'm more neutral on) - we can find common ground somewhere!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    edited December 2023
    I had often wrestled with the idea of Britishness.
    And then I came across the Blackpool comedy carpet.
    It's absolutely brilliant. It's impossible to be British and walk across it without AMAWGATing and ASCUMBing. It would be an exaggeration to say that it encompasses everything about British culture, but I've never come across anything which encompasses so much of British culture in one place.
    And pretty much every British person would understand it. And almost no foreigners would.

I think it is in the top five pieces of public art in the UK. (I'd also add, OTTOMH, the Kelpies and the Angel of the North.) Well worth a trip to Blackpool for that alone.

https://whynotassociates.com/environmental/the-comedy-carpet
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

I really only watch a few Test Matches now, and as much as I can of Ashes series. The rest doesn't seem important enough to spend time on - like football when there is too much and all hyped up none of it is important. Arlott got it right when he said 'Cricket is a triviality but a great triviality'. I am not sure he would feel the same about the culture of cricket now.
    Probably not. But times change - and cricket has changed more than most sports over the centuries.

Personally, I feel The Ashes is overhyped and a legacy of a long-gone era but enough fans seem to think otherwise. The ICC should really sort out a proper test world championship with groups and a final, rather than the current ad hoc thing that no-one understands.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

Do you speak any foreign languages?
  • Options

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

He seems fluent in dialectical gibberish
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650

I feel sorry for @DougSeal, two Truss threads today and he’s nowhere to be seen.

Probably out clubbing.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

I was being somewhat facetious. And I also hate the SWP (TUSC I'm more neutral on) - we can find common ground somewhere!
    The Socialist Workers Party is an organisation of non-socialists, who don’t work and are rubbish at parties.
  • Options

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

Speak, no; I can listen in other languages, though (I'm very bad at remembering tenses, vocab, sentence structure etc. but I can listen well enough in German and Welsh, I can keep up with Italian, French and Spanish if not spoken too quickly, and I know a bit of Yiddish).
  • Options

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

The Socialist Workers Party is an organisation of non-socialists, who don’t work and are rubbish at parties.
    Whenever I meet them I am always reminded of the series citizen smith
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

Speak, no; I can listen in other languages, though (I'm very bad at remembering tenses, vocab, sentence structure etc. but I can listen well enough in German and Welsh, I can keep up with Italian, French and Spanish if not spoken too quickly, and I know a bit of Yiddish).
    I was the opposite when I tried to learn languages at school. I could speak (and write) quote well (well, for GCSE purposes), but was baffled by reading or listening.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited December 2023

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Probably not. But times change - and cricket has changed more than most sports over the centuries.

Personally, I feel The Ashes is overhyped and a legacy of a long-gone era but enough fans seem to think otherwise. The ICC should really sort out a proper test world championship with groups and a final, rather than the current ad hoc thing that no-one understands.
    No! We do not need group stages and finals. We need well-scheduled test series that have time for the tourists to acclimatise to the conditions and to have tour matches. Did you know, this year's Ashes was the first time the Australians didn't play anything other than the tests? Okay, we don't need to go back to the days of 1997 when they toured for three and a half months and played a John Paul Getty XI, but it would be good if some middle ground was found.

EDIT: can't get that link to work. You'll just have to trust me about the game at Wormsley!
  • Options
    Wednesday marks two years since the last Tory poll lead (Redfield), when Boris was in charge. The Tories were still behind when he resigned.
  • Options

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

Booksmart!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

I suppose Klingon passed you by.?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

No! We do not need group stages and finals. We need well-scheduled test series that have time for the tourists to acclimatise to the conditions and to have tour matches. Did you know, this year's Ashes was the first time the Australians didn't play anything other than the tests? Okay, we don't need to go back to the days of 1997 when they toured for three and a half months and played a John Paul Getty XI (https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/australia-tour-of-england-and-scotland-1997-61346/john-paul-getty-invitation-xi-vs-australians-tour-match-583790/full-scorecard), but it would be good if some middle ground was found.
    There's no reason that couldn't be done. You play the group stages over three years, with each series being a minimum of 3 tests.

But you absolutely do need a structure, including a final (which could also be a series). Anything else provides no focus and therefore no story. And without focus, the format will continue to die.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,126
    edited December 2023
    I think the Tories really need to be clear what they are saying about migrants.

Is it really only rich migrants they want? (And if so, are they confident that there are enough British people to supply the market for low-paid labour?)

And then, if any of the Tories beating the anti-immigrant drum are children of migrants who weren't rich when they came here, aren't they being a little bit inconsistent?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Probably out clubbing.
    Hopefully not foxes, whilst wearing his wife's silk kimono.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

No he doesn't. He has a majority of 9,522 (and boundaries are unchanged). Your conclusion may well be right, but his seat isn't as marginal as you say.
    It's a bellwether. If Starmer wins a reasonable working majority it'll certainly go red.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited December 2023
    On topic: the Tories have made plenty of mistakes that have doomed them, but by far the biggest mistake they made was putting Truss and Rishi in the Final 2 for the leadership. And then the members for choosing Truss (even though Rishi has not proven to be up to scratch either).

Penny Mordaunt could have been completely useless, but she was the best choice for them to succeed Boris from what was on offer.
  • Options

148grss said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

See also

Christian culture/church
    The NHS
    Empire
    The anglophone world
    Stiff upper lip/reserve

I suppose Klingon passed you by.?
    You've not experienced PB until you have read it in the original Klingon!
This discussion has been closed.