Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Nikki Haley could be the Republican that stops Trump – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,915

viewcode said:

The quest to find the clitoris of the English electorate is unending.

Many people brought meaningful change to the UK. Attlee. Blair. Goering. Change is not the same as good.
    Indeed, notwithstanding 13 years of New Labour in-between, many of Thatchers Friedman economics chickens are coming home to roost as we speak. Failed privatised utilities and the current housing crisis can be traced back to the 1980s. Her Euroscepticism coupled with her client press boosted reputation unwittingly made her the Godmother of Brexit.
    Water and railways were Major?

Thatcher was Gas, Telecom, Oil, Rolls Royce, BA etc.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,240

viewcode said:

Many people brought meaningful change to the UK. Attlee. Blair. Goering. Change is not the same as good.
    Indeed, notwithstanding 13 years of New Labour in-between, many of Thatchers Friedman economics chickens are coming home to roost as we speak. Failed privatised utilities and the current housing crisis can be traced back to the 1980s. Her Euroscepticism coupled with her client press boosted reputation unwittingly made her the Godmother of Brexit.

The housing crisis is down to a shortage of housing, not issues of tenure.
  • Cyclefree said:

Completely snowed in now. Cannot open front door. Managed to open back door and collect wood for fire. It is quite beautiful outside. There is a magical stillness in a snow covered landscape.

Fortunately the main road nearby seems to have been cleared. So at least we can walk to the town, even it will take an hour or so.

Anyway, this article is well worth reading.

https://www.thenational.scot/politics/23964156.questions-remain-scottish-handling-post-office-horizon-scandal/

It makes 3 important points:-

1. Scotland does not have the same rebuttable presumption that computer evidence is reliable unless the defendant proves otherwise.
    2. Scottish prosecutors had doubts about Horizon evidence and did not therefore prosecute.
    3. The Post Office in Scotland could not run its own prosecutions so there was some independent review - and attempt to comply with the rules - of the type so dismally lacking in England & Wales.

Bluntly the PO was not able to subvert the Scottish criminal justice system in the way that it did elsewhere. Though the evidence in recent days suggests that the PO did try to by trying to bully Scottish prosecutors.

It makes Ministers' refusal to look again at the computer evidence presumption even more unconscionable than it is.

Does the law society recommendation still stand? If so, I can see why ministers wouldn’t want to overrule them.

Shouldn’t the law society review its recommendation first?

The Law Commission is keeping its head down, presumably in the hope nobody notices its contribution to the prosecution of so many innocent people.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,829

isam said:

I see SKS is now praising Maggie

NEW: Keir Starmer has praised Margaret Thatcher for effecting "meaningful change" in Britain

I am uncomfortable with that, but at least he hasn't "praised" Putin, yet. Unlike your lad.
    Source?

Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets
    I've fact-checked the claims that Jeremy Corbyn is "pro-Putin". It turns out that no politician has been more consistent or more prescient about Putin than Corbyn.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/russia-ukraine-war-jeremy-corbyn-right-putin-oligarchs
    Unless I have him mixed up with someone else, I always thought of Oborne as a right winger. I must have him mixed up

Interesting article, seem like Jezza has a case not to be thought of as a Putinite. It’s a shame he was been banished, I hope he wins as in Indy or becomes Mayor of London, I think he has earned it
    Oborne's been on a journey. As a staunch Tory he hated Blair, focussing on his mendacity in particular. But when Blair departed Oborne's still had his disliking of mendacity so went after the Tories instead. Since Boris the Tories haven't been particularly conservative, so he probably has no conflict of loyalties on that front.
    Oborne is a theocrat, which is an interesting political stance, but one that puts him at odds with just about every polical party.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,888

viewcode said:

The equivalent of burning all your furniture to keep warm through the winter.

Wasn't it great when you ended up buying your gas from the leccy board and your leccy from the gas board? And then the market attracted all of these chancers with daft names who ended up going belly-up. But not before the 'entrepreneurs' had walked away with the usual wheelbarrows full of cash.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,829
    isam said:

NEW: Keir Starmer has praised Margaret Thatcher for effecting "meaningful change" in Britain

I am uncomfortable with that, but at least he hasn't "praised" Putin, yet. Unlike your lad.
    Source?

Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets
    I've fact-checked the claims that Jeremy Corbyn is "pro-Putin". It turns out that no politician has been more consistent or more prescient about Putin than Corbyn.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/russia-ukraine-war-jeremy-corbyn-right-putin-oligarchs
    Unless I have him mixed up with someone else, I always thought of Oborne as a right winger. I must have him mixed up

Interesting article, seem like Jezza has a case not to be thought of as a Putinite. It’s a shame he was been banished, I hope he wins as in Indy or becomes Mayor of London, I think he has earned it
    Corbyn opposed Putin, but he also opposes any form of armed intervention.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,250
    edited December 2023

viewcode said:

This is a good illustration of where ideology tends to fall down.

Some privatisations made sound financial and business sense. They were of course the ones that got done first. But others didn’t. By the latter stages of the 79-97 government they were selling off things that really didn’t make sense to sell off, and doing it in a hurry. Because privatisation had, to coin a phrase, “pickled into a rigid dogma”. (And the government was looking for new sources of revenue after the 90s recession).
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,478

isam said:

Source?

Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets

Oborne's been on a journey. As a staunch Tory he hated Blair, focussing on his mendacity in particular. But when Blair departed Oborne's still had his disliking of mendacity so went after the Tories instead. Since Boris the Tories haven't been particularly conservative, so he probably has no conflict of loyalties on that front.
    He's the far left's favourite right winger.

Which pithy but trite little observation got me thinking who fits the opposite bill. Galloway?
    isam said:

SandraMc said:

Glenys Kinnock has died.

Peacefully in her sleep, that’ll do please
    Preceded by dementia though, I think, sadly.
  • Sean_F said:

isam said:

Source?

Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets

"Opposition" also has to mean more than stating 'solidarity' with other opponents. What practical form of opposition to Putin did Corbyn advocate? When he had his chance, with real influence, he was effectively on Putin's side on Syria, Salisbury and Ukraine.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,250
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Source?

Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets

Which pithy but trite little observation got me thinking who fits the opposite bill. Galloway?
    Which in turn made me ponder who’s the far right or far left’s favourite centrist? But they don’t have one.
  • NEW THREAD

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,469

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Source?

Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets

"Opposition" also has to mean more than stating 'solidarity' with other opponents. What practical form of opposition to Putin did Corbyn advocate? When he had his chance, with real influence, he was effectively on Putin's side on Syria, Salisbury and Ukraine.
    He advocated sanctions on Russia over Salisbury (once he was convinced that they'd done it) - which is where everyone else ended up too. He was opposed to intervening in Syria, but so was Labour generally (and I remain convinced that was right). He also advocated sanctions against Russia over Ukraine, but as Sean says opposed fuelling the conflict, as he sees sending arms.

Oborne is right-wing but unpredictable and keen on fairness to opponents. He's always thought Corbyn was unfairly treated.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,641

viewcode said:

You are splitting hairs, it was a continuation of her de-nationalisation programme. But you have picked two honkers privatised on Major's watch.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

Completely snowed in now. Cannot open front door. Managed to open back door and collect wood for fire. It is quite beautiful outside. There is a magical stillness in a snow covered landscape.

Fortunately the main road nearby seems to have been cleared. So at least we can walk to the town, even it will take an hour or so.

Anyway, this article is well worth reading.

https://www.thenational.scot/politics/23964156.questions-remain-scottish-handling-post-office-horizon-scandal/

It makes 3 important points:-

1. Scotland does not have the same rebuttable presumption that computer evidence is reliable unless the defendant proves otherwise.
    2. Scottish prosecutors had doubts about Horizon evidence and did not therefore prosecute.
    3. The Post Office in Scotland could not run its own prosecutions so there was some independent review - and attempt to comply with the rules - of the type so dismally lacking in England & Wales.

Bluntly the PO was not able to subvert the Scottish criminal justice system in the way that it did elsewhere. Though the evidence in recent days suggests that the PO did try to by trying to bully Scottish prosecutors.

It makes Ministers' refusal to look again at the computer evidence presumption even more unconscionable than it is.

Does the law society recommendation still stand? If so, I can see why ministers wouldn’t want to overrule them.

Shouldn’t the law society review its recommendation first?

The Law Commission (not Law Society) recommendation has been enacted.

A couple of years ago, Alex Chalk asked various IT and legal experts to come up with recommendations for how computer based evidence should be treated by the courts. They did so.

You can read their recommendations here - https://journals.sas.ac.uk/deeslr/article/view/5240.

Since then the Justice Ministry has changed its mind and no review is planned, despite what the PO scandal has shown us. It is a stupid decision because it will inevitably mean more miscarriages of justice, for the reasons spelt out in my 2 recent headers.
    TimS said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Source?

Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets

Which in turn made me ponder who’s the far right or far left’s favourite centrist? But they don’t have one.
    No they wouldn't. That would be like the outlaw's favourite sheriff. But who's MY favourite centrist? Hmm. I can't say SKS without looking like a swot and a teacher's pet. So I'll say Vince Cable. Uncle Vince. The voice of reason.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,872
    Since you are discussing weapons, I'll pass on a curious story from some years ago in Seattle. And older black man was walking along a street with a golf club in his hand, swinging it. A lesbian police officer found this threatening and arrested him. After the usual public fuss, she lost her job, and he got a settlement from the city.

My thoughts. First, the two of them should have sat down with a mediator and some coffee, and talked things over. Second, the officer should have gotten a little more training.

Third, I think the older man was carrying the club to protect himself. (He claimed he used it as a cane.) And a golf club can be a good weapon. I am not an expert on such things, but I think that, if two trained men were to engage in combat, one with a knife, and one with a golf club, you probably should bet on the man with the golf club.

(There are many other common items which can be good weapons, ranging from baseball bats to automobiles.)

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,236

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

“the Godmother of Brexit.”

You say that like it’s a bad thing
    Well two thirds of the public think it is.
    Though it's an inaccurate characterisation of her anyway.
    No, it's accurate. Her views by the 1990s had changed very considerably from those of 1975 (or 1985). Her opposition to Maastricht was critical in the development of Euroscepticism within both the Tories and the country at large, and giving it the momentum and legitimacy that would ultimately propel it to being a Leave party.

It's worth noting that UKIP v0.0 was the Anti-Federalist League, which contested the 1992 election on an anti-Maastricht platform (though not a withdrawalist one).
    By the 90s she'd gone more than slightly nuts.
    Even this who are not her fans (me) wouldn't call that definitive 'Thatcherism'.
This discussion has been closed.