Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

When will the Tories poll 30% or more again? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473
    Andy_JS said:

"I generally agree. The problem with capitalism - especially with late capitalist consumerism - is that it does nothing to nourish or even assuage the spiritual yearnings of Homo sapiens"

Places that combine capitalism and religiosity tend to work pretty well. Like Idaho for example.

Anywhere where we find Roman Catholic Priests and their Rent Boys/ Hookers?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

@RedfieldWilton
    Net Favourability of Selected World Leaders Among British Voters (15 November)

Highest:

🇺🇦 Volodymyr Zelensky +32%
    🇨🇦 Justin Trudeau +14%
    🇮🇹 Giorgia Meloni +4%
    🇪🇸 Pedro Sánchez +4%

Lowest:

🇨🇳 Xi Jinping -15%
    🇬🇧 Rishi Sunak -19%
    🇷🇺 Vladimir Putin -46%
    🇰🇵 Kim Jong-Un -54%
    https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1726571440479088899?s=20

😂 😂 😂 @ only Putin and Kim Jong-Un being less popular than our beloved PM.

Who’s next for the Hot Seat HYUFD? Who do we have as the fourth PM this Parliament to save us all?

Between the ages of 5 and 33 I saw only 3 PMs. Looks like between the ages of 45 and 50 I’m going to see 5.
    • 1970-1997: Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair. 6 PMs in 27 years
    • 2010-2024: Cameron. May, Boris, Truss, Sunak, Starmer. 6 PMs in 14 years
    At 49 days do we really count Liz Truss? 😂
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873
    HYUFD said:

@RedfieldWilton

Highest:

🇨🇦 Justin Trudeau +14%
    🇮🇹 Giorgia Meloni +4%
    🇪🇸 Pedro Sánchez +4%

Lowest:

🇨🇳 Xi Jinping -15%
    🇬🇧 Rishi Sunak -19%
    🇷🇺 Vladimir Putin -46%
    🇰🇵 Kim Jong-Un -54%

The graphic is notable for the number of leaders whose All Respondent net ratings fall higher than either the Labour and Conservative dots. Meaning that the non-Lab non-Con respondents, I guess including many non voters, are way off one end.

Varadkar, Abbas and Putin viewed particularly more favourably by other and non-aligneds.

• Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

When has a company as important as OpenAI ever simply imploded like this?

Well off the top of my head I can think of Arthur Andersen, RBS, AIG, Enron, Parmalat. There must be dozens like these which are in a completely different league. You never keep things in proportion.
    Yes, of course, all those companies were at the very cutting edge of a technology likely to transform human society within a decade. Especially “Parmalat”

And they all happened in a weekend. And they all happened because, rumour has it, some of the board were worried the company was close to creating an alien and superior intelligence that might destroy humanity.

I MEAN, ARE YOU JUST FRIGGING STUPID
    RBS nearly broke the UK.
    Don’t worry I’m sure RBS will be more successful next time it fails.
    I mean we were a few hours from the banks and cash machines running out of money.
    The guy who is - was - taking over OpenAI - believes there is a 5-50% chance that AGI will extinguish all humanity and possibly all life

https://x.com/rowancheung/status/1726473420299534491?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Bad as RBS was, a cash flow issue and a bank run in the UK is somewhat dwarfed by the nullification of all organic consciousness
    I'm always dubious about someone who says something like "there is a 5-50% chance" of something happening. A moment's thought will tell you that is a nonsensical way of thinking about the future.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,716
    edited November 2023
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Well off the top of my head I can think of Arthur Andersen, RBS, AIG, Enron, Parmalat. There must be dozens like these which are in a completely different league. You never keep things in proportion.
    Yes, of course, all those companies were at the very cutting edge of a technology likely to transform human society within a decade. Especially “Parmalat”

And they all happened in a weekend. And they all happened because, rumour has it, some of the board were worried the company was close to creating an alien and superior intelligence that might destroy humanity.

RBS nearly broke the UK.
    I mean we were a few hours from the banks and cash machines running out of money.
    The guy who is - was - taking over OpenAI - believes there is a 5-50% chance that AGI will extinguish all humanity and possibly all life

https://x.com/rowancheung/status/1726473420299534491?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Bad as RBS was, a cash flow issue and a bank run in the UK is somewhat dwarfed by the nullification of all organic consciousness
    5-50%? Pah. I can do FAR better than that. I give it a 99.9% chance that in the final stages of hydrogen fusion, our sun will swell and swell, becoming distorted and bloated, and swallow up the inner planets of the solar system, including Earth (or as close to it as makes no practical difference).
    Don't tell @leon that, he will panic like mad and go into meltdown.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,157
    HYUFD said:

@RedfieldWilton

Highest:

🇨🇦 Justin Trudeau +14%
    🇮🇹 Giorgia Meloni +4%
    🇪🇸 Pedro Sánchez +4%

Lowest:

🇨🇳 Xi Jinping -15%
    🇬🇧 Rishi Sunak -19%
    🇷🇺 Vladimir Putin -46%
    🇰🇵 Kim Jong-Un -54%

What do British voters know about Justin Trudeau? Probably not much.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    edited November 2023
    With the location of Leon's current blundering about and it also being the 60th anniversary of "something has happened in the motorcade" this surely has to be the song right now. Hadn't listened to it for years.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

So why are we continuing to develop it in that case?
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Hyperbole.

It’s all fart and no follow through just like What.Three.Words
    I think I missed the What3Words drama on here, I see it referenced a lot, can someone explain it to me?
    Another one of @leon's fantasies that was going to change the world. Needless to say it didn't happen.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Hyperbole.

I think I missed the What3Words drama on here, I see it referenced a lot, can someone explain it to me?
    A poster on here spent several days claiming it was an invention to rival the wheel.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

@RedfieldWilton

Highest:

🇨🇦 Justin Trudeau +14%
    🇮🇹 Giorgia Meloni +4%
    🇪🇸 Pedro Sánchez +4%

Lowest:

🇨🇳 Xi Jinping -15%
    🇬🇧 Rishi Sunak -19%
    🇷🇺 Vladimir Putin -46%
    🇰🇵 Kim Jong-Un -54%

Who’s next for the Hot Seat HYUFD? Who do we have as the fourth PM this Parliament to save us all?

Between the ages of 5 and 33 I saw only 3 PMs. Looks like between the ages of 45 and 50 I’m going to see 5.
    • 1970-1997: Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair. 6 PMs in 27 years
    Her 49 days in office were fiscally more significant than Blair's entire decade as Prime Minister. But not necessarily in a good way.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Before extinguishing all life, will it be able to do my ironing?
    I liked, but it needs an extra thumbs up as it had me rolling around laughing.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675

Ok, I may have cast aspersions on Leon’s acuity previously but he’s spot on about the Bernard Manning thing. Am I being a sap to worry about a politician being called el Loco before they’ve even started?

He is a fat man who tells blue jokes.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I think that's what happened in your imagination.

The reality - whatever the future prospects* for AI (and I would tend to being a maximalist on this) - is likely far more prosaic.

*Also completely unaffected by the fate of a single company.
    (Unless you count TSMC.)
    These are mere rumours. But they really don’t come from me

“My prediction is that a few weeks ago the team at OpenAI demoed either a machine that showed consciousness or AGI and Sam didn’t immediately tell the board and their feelings were hurt.”

https://x.com/dsiroker/status/1725880462092959918?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

https://x.com/linusekenstam/status/1725841218431598610?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

“with sam and greg ousted yesterday
    my initial thought yesterday was “shit they have discovered AGI” and the only person who was capable of understanding it was ilya sutskever. “
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Hyperbole.

Last year, Leon was hyping it the same way he is hyping OpenAI.

Still not his worst prediction of 2022.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Hyperbole.

If I was thinking on the lines of Kwarteng's budget would I be warm, or were there even bigger howlers to consider?
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

I'm always dubious about someone who says something like "there is a 5-50% chance" of something happening. A moment's thought will tell you that is a nonsensical way of thinking about the future.
    Yes, I tend to agree

My point is more that this is the guy now in charge (we think) of the world’s most important, $100bn AI company. So even if he talks nonsense, this is how they talk
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Hyperbole.

If I was thinking on the lines of Kwarteng's budget would I be warm, or were there even bigger howlers to consider?
    He said PM Truss would surprise on the upside and have Starmer cowering.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

@RedfieldWilton

Highest:

🇨🇦 Justin Trudeau +14%
    🇮🇹 Giorgia Meloni +4%
    🇪🇸 Pedro Sánchez +4%

Lowest:

🇨🇳 Xi Jinping -15%
    🇬🇧 Rishi Sunak -19%
    🇷🇺 Vladimir Putin -46%
    🇰🇵 Kim Jong-Un -54%

Focusing on committing her length of tenure to memory. She will win you a pub quiz one day.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Many are asking that question. They are called “AI doomers”

Musk is on the doomier side of the equation. 90% of the people on this site are too stupid to even grasp the arguments. Ignore them
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Hyperbole.

But still. THE NECKLACE
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,563

DavidL said:

Civil Service fast stream's lack of STEM degrees

Sir Patrick turns to the “science capability review”, an exercise conducted with Jeremy Heywood, the then Cabinet Secretary, to see if science capability was “adequate” in Government.

He said the exercise also found that the just ten per cent of the Civil Service fast-stream intake had STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) degrees which he felt “destined the civil service to stay in roughly the same position that it has been for some time”.

For a knowledge led economy this is a disastrous situation. No wonder government knows f##k all about science and technology.

Something Cummings was right about. Statistically, it had to happen.
    Big Dom was right about quite a few things. His problem is always the solution, which is normally burn it all down and start again, use AI, data scientists, pay them loads, job done....next problem....
    Cummings was a crank whose enthusiasm for big data was unmatched by any understanding of it or its limitations.

I remember when he advertised for other cranks and misfits to join the Civil Service. I can't believe that idea got as far as it did.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Hyperbole.

We all.make errors of judgement, although my Conservative majority at 12/1 seems to be measuring up nicely over the last week.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,552
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Musk is on the doomier side of the equation. 90% of the people on this site are too stupid to even grasp the arguments. Ignore them
    "We" are continuing to develop it because "we" aren't one entity who thinks of our collective good but 8 billion individuals, some of whom deem their upside of a medium to high possibility of becoming fantastically rich as worthy of the non-negligible downside of wiping out themselves and all of humanity, especially given that, if one player opts out of the game, the risk only goes away a little bit, and the likelihood of rewards to the other players goes up.

For those interested in game theory, it is absolutely fascinating.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

Sir Patrick turns to the “science capability review”, an exercise conducted with Jeremy Heywood, the then Cabinet Secretary, to see if science capability was “adequate” in Government.

He said the exercise also found that the just ten per cent of the Civil Service fast-stream intake had STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) degrees which he felt “destined the civil service to stay in roughly the same position that it has been for some time”.

For a knowledge led economy this is a disastrous situation. No wonder government knows f##k all about science and technology.

Big Dom was right about quite a few things. His problem is always the solution, which is normally burn it all down and start again, use AI, data scientists, pay them loads, job done....next problem....
    Cummings was a crank whose enthusiasm for big data was unmatched by any understanding of it or its limitations.

I remember when he advertised for other cranks and misfits to join the Civil Service. I can't believe that idea got as far as it did.
    Cummings is just a self-hating arts graduate.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

I wonder if he recruited anyone? And if he did, how many nanoseconds they stayed in post when he left.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

"We" are continuing to develop it because "we" aren't one entity who thinks of our collective good but 8 billion individuals, some of whom deem their upside of a medium to high possibility of becoming fantastically rich as worthy of the non-negligible downside of wiping out themselves and all of humanity, especially given that, if one player opts out of the game, the risk only goes away a little bit, and the likelihood of rewards to the other players goes up.

For those interested in game theory, it is absolutely fascinating.
    Yes. Cogent and accurate

Then you also have to add in national competition

If America (at present in the lead on A.I.) calls a halt to it, will China do the same? Of course not. It’s like nuclear weapons. Whoever gets them first will dominate the world (and be invulnerable). China would simply seize the chance to leapfrog America and rule us all

So no one can stop. We just have to pray the doomers are wrong or wildly exaggerating
  • Options
    Vallance's diary confirms my deep suspicion that Johnson is completely innumerate. I've always believed that this is why Johnson lies - he genuinely has no concept of quantitative differences and so all answers to a question are equally true to him.
    It is still genuinely shocking to me what posh white men can get away with in this country.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Fishing said:

DavidL said:

I wonder if he recruited anyone? And if he did, how many nanoseconds they stayed in post when he left.
    Andy Sabisky. Lasted about a week
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924
    Israel Defense Forces
    @IDF
    ·
    1h
    "As the world celebrates #WorldChildrensDay , 40 children are being held hostage by terrorists in Gaza.

Children who had their innocence ripped away from them."

Rest of the World

As the world celebrates #InternationalChildrensDay, 500-700 children are being held hostage yearly in illegal detention by Israel.

Children who had their innocence ripped away from them.

And
    As the world celebrates #InternationalChildrensDay over 4,000 children have been killed by Israel in the last month.

Not only have they had their innocence ripped away from them they are f*****g dead slaughtered by the @IDF

#ceasefirenow

• Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I think that's what happened in your imagination.

The reality - whatever the future prospects* for AI (and I would tend to being a maximalist on this) - is likely far more prosaic.

*Also completely unaffected by the fate of a single company.
    (Unless you count TSMC.)
    These are mere rumours. But they really don’t come from me

“My prediction is that a few weeks ago the team at OpenAI demoed either a machine that showed consciousness or AGI and Sam didn’t immediately tell the board and their feelings were hurt.”

https://x.com/dsiroker/status/1725880462092959918?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

https://x.com/linusekenstam/status/1725841218431598610?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

“with sam and greg ousted yesterday
    my initial thought yesterday was “shit they have discovered AGI” and the only person who was capable of understanding it was ilya sutskever. “
    Have you read Ted Chiang's Exhalation collection of short stories. He has a very interesting one on a kind of Neopets (maybe outing my age here) AGI and the difficulty of actually getting anything useful out of an AGI, given the limitations of Natural Intelligence.

Chiang has an interesting perspective on OpenAI, too.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Hyperbole.

But still. THE NECKLACE
    Are we to assume you started hitting the bottle a few hours ago?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924
    @AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h
    Tomorrow @ScottishLabour will vote for an immediate ceasefire.

Here I explain why and what I believe needs to happen to make it a reality.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,704

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Yes. It may be non punters shorthand for "There are two ways of looking at this, and both are equally possible and mutually exclusive. One route gives you a 5% chance of X and the other route gives you a 50% chance of X. We don't know which of these only two possible routes is true.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

Hyperbole.

@Leon was convinced that What3Words was a revolutionary thing that would change the world. He also thinks that about aliens, AI, and HobNobs. He was wrong of course. Except about the HobNobs, which even now are driving other confectionary into extinction.[1]

[1] Cadbury's cancelled Caramac yesterday. Yes, really.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,510
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

RBS nearly broke the UK.

What is the mechanism for AGI wiping out humanity? I assume you are going down the Terminator route? otherwise can we not just, you know, turn off the leccy?
  • Options

Vallance's diary confirms my deep suspicion that Johnson is completely innumerate. I've always believed that this is why Johnson lies - he genuinely has no concept of quantitative differences and so all answers to a question are equally true to him.
    It is still genuinely shocking to me what posh white men can get away with in this country.

He really is a heartless buffoon. See Mark Drakeford's richly intoned and unintentionally hilarious "oh, isn't he awful" mic on moment...
  • Options

I agree about Johnson but I don't know what posh white men in general have got to do with it.
This discussion has been closed.