Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The voters back Sunak’s decision to sack Braverman including Tory voters – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited November 2023 in General
The voters back Sunak’s decision to sack Braverman including Tory voters – politicalbetting.com

Britons think Rishi Sunak was right rather than wrong to sack Suella Braverman as home secretaryRight to sack her: 57% (44% of Con 2019 voters)Wrong to sack her: 20% (39% of Con 2019 voters)https://t.co/TSo5qFluu6 pic.twitter.com/wzs8slzhJs

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like the Tories at general election under Dave (pbuh).
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    @lizziedearden

It's been a big day for Home Office, which is saying goodbye to Suella Braverman for a second time, and hello to a new home secretary for the fourth time in 14 months

Sources I spoke to are pretty happy, with one calling Braverman a "incompetent moron"
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    edited November 2023
    Third.
    Like the Conservative Party if they get what they deserve.
  • Options
    @hoffman_noa

ESTHER McVey has made a shock return to the Cabinet as Rishi Sunak's "common sense tsar" tasked with tackling the scourge of wokery, The Sun understands
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

ESTHER McVey has made a shock return to the Cabinet as Rishi Sunak's "common sense tsar" tasked with tackling the scourge of wokery, The Sun understands

Anyone describing owt in politics as "common sense" is a dead give away.
  • Options
    @cathynewman

In other #reshuffle news a @UKLabour source tells me up to 17 frontbenchers expect to be sacked on Weds for backing @SNP on the #Gaza ceasefire vote. They say unless @Keir_Starmer uses the words “immediate ceasefire” they can’t vote with Labour and expect to be fired.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    Hmmm. Cameron’s line on Greensill:

"I think all those things were dealt with by the Treasury Select Committee and there were other inquiries at the time. As far as I’m concerned that was all dealt with and in the past”.

LOL

So that’s fine then. It’s in the past.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

In other #reshuffle news a @UKLabour source tells me up to 17 frontbenchers expect to be sacked on Weds for backing @SNP on the #Gaza ceasefire vote. They say unless @Keir_Starmer uses the words “immediate ceasefire” they can’t vote with Labour and expect to be fired.

Errrr..... what?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

Common Sense Tsar is also intensely CRINGE
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    So much for Leon’s dodgy Telegraph poll, no doubt comprising a handful of crusty pensioners repeatedly clicking on no.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Harold Wilson took a risk when he appointed Patrick Gordon Walker as Foreign Secretary in 1964, after he had lost his Smethwick seat at the General Election. The PM assumed that his appointee would return to The Commons after a by-election at Leyton in January 1965. His Conservative opponent won by 205 votes.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    edited November 2023
    Thanks to DougSeal re: reply to my question, had he every attended US sporting event?

Turns out he's been to more big time games (at least IF you count the Ivy League as "big time") than yours truly!

CORRECTION - University of Connecticut is NOT in the Ivy League (Harvard, Yale, etc.) and is indeed a big-time sports school.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

:D:D

Seriously? I thought she was long gone...

It is about time that Sunak got rid of the odious Braverman. Bringing her back once she stood down is something that shows flaws in his judgement, but he must be well down the Barrel of Talent if he needs McVey and Cameron onboard.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Errrr..... what?
    Is Sunak about to have a bit of good luck? A divided Labour Party with a whiff of the ghost of Corbyn?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@lizziedearden

It's been a big day for Home Office, which is saying goodbye to Suella Braverman for a second time, and hello to a new home secretary for the fourth time in 14 months

Sources I spoke to are pretty happy, with one calling Braverman a "incompetent moron"

I spoke to a Brexiteer who said Braverman is the worst, she combines ignorance and arrogance, which is a toxic mix.

It is why I try and remain humble and modest.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

So much for Leon’s dodgy Telegraph poll, no doubt comprising a handful of crusty pensioners repeatedly clicking on no.

Leon fails the IQ test for not realising voodoo polls are shit.

Definitely the left hand side of the bell curve.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

It’s not a joke is it? Using ‘Tsar’ in conjunction with what I’d guess is some sort of position to stop pretentious nonsense seems a bad decision
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    isam said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

It’s not a joke is it? Using ‘Tsar’ in conjunction with what I’d guess is some sort of position to stop pretentious nonsense seems a bad decision
    Tsar is foreign so it's probably to have someone for Cameron to talk to
  • Options
    Emergency podcast news.

The Rest is Politics had over 100,000 viewers.
    Political Currency... dunno but they also had one.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Hmm, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it entirely

Yes it's voodoo, but its acrrued 93,000 votes, now, and it is running 63/37 in terms of disapprove/approve of the Braverman sacking

Telegraph readers will be hardcore Tories: the activists and members. Sunak has clearly alienated a large chunk of the Tory right, and this is presumably why he has appointed a "Common Sense Tsar" (again: CRINGE) to lead the fight on the Woke and try and soothe the anger of the right

Will it work? I am politely skeptical

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,183
    edited November 2023
    Deleted - just saw Scott posted it earlier
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited November 2023
    My brain keeps trying to do limerick scanning in clerihews.

Suella Suella went bezerky
    Voted like a Christmas turkey
    A braver man missed Kipling and Dickens
    But Rishi's down to Christmas chickens
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Errrr..... what?
    Is Sunak about to have a bit of good luck? A divided Labour Party with a whiff of the ghost of Corbyn?
    Why isn't this massive news? Sounds like 3/4 of the Labour shadow cabinet is about to quit?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,145

Thanks to DougSeal re: reply to my question, had he every attended US sporting event?

Turns out he's been to more big time games (at least IF you count the Ivy League as "big time") than yours truly!

CORRECTION - University of Connecticut is NOT in the Ivy League (Harvard, Yale, etc.) and is indeed a big-time sports school.

The UConn womens' basketball is big time, the football I'd describe as "medium time". The Yale/Harvard game is just fun TBH. Wish I could go this year but stuck in the UK.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

Emergency podcast news.

Poor Rory will be pissing himself that he didnt get the call
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Starmer about to drain the swamp.

Up to 17 frontbenchers trying to fcuk up a 20 point lead in the polls.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Wow. Sir Keir would surely have to consider his position if that happened.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

I will believe it when I see it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

Department of Administrative Affairs?
    DoSAC surely
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,145
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Errrr..... what?
    Why isn't this massive news? Sounds like 3/4 of the Labour shadow cabinet is about to quit?
    Read the post will you. They "expect to be fired".
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Nah, not a chance. Bar the possible exception of Mahmood, the Shadow Cabinet support his position. These will mostly be whips/junior shadow ministers.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Errrr..... what?
    If his backbenchers play ball, Sunak could run a “we’ve reunited and healed old wounds, just as Labour falls apart” line.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    edited November 2023
    dr_spyn said:

Harold Wilson took a risk when he appointed Patrick Gordon Walker as Foreign Secretary in 1964, after he had lost his Smethwick seat at the General Election. The PM assumed that his appointee would return to The Commons after a by-election at Leyton in January 1965. His Conservative opponent won by 205 votes.

With respect to peers in UK cabinets, believe that since Lord Salisbury's day, the post most often occupied by a lord instead of an MP, is Foreign Secretary?

Which is, or was, a continuation of the tradition of aristocratic dominance of the UK Foreign Office, which was/is mirrored by US State Department, and for (much the) same reason - money, honey.

ADDENDUM - Meant to also say, that for all his faults (the Stanley Baldwin of our times?) David Cameron strikes me as a good pick for Foreign Secretary. Certainly will be seen in that light (mostly) outside the UK.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

However, passes basic Spin Doctor qualification test.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    So the majority of the public back Braverman's sacking, Sunak will hope having done that and brought Cameron back he will get a small poll boost as well as stabilise his government.

However 20% of voters saying he was wrong to sack her gives a significant pool for ReformUK to fish in to attract rightwing Tory voters disillusioned with the direction of the Sunak government now
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Yes it's voodoo, but its acrrued 93,000 votes, now, and it is running 63/37 in terms of disapprove/approve of the Braverman sacking

Telegraph readers will be hardcore Tories: the activists and members. Sunak has clearly alienated a large chunk of the Tory right, and this is presumably why he has appointed a "Common Sense Tsar" (again: CRINGE) to lead the fight on the Woke and try and soothe the anger of the right

If you think in terms of Red Wall and Blue Wall seats, then presumably Cameron for Braverman is designed to shore up Blue Wall defences against the LibDems. Will anyone in the Red Wall even have heard of Esther McVey?

If you think in terms of party management, Rishi does seem to be risking the wrath of the various self-appointed Whatsapp research groups, but it is hard to see what appeal there is for ambitious backbenchers. Maybe when we see all the junior appointments.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Looks like Starmer is having as many problems with rebellious leftwing Shadow Ministers and backbenchers as Sunak has had with the populist right in his Cabinet and the ERG on his backbenches
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, I think it should be taken as being reasonably representative of Telegraph readers. When conducting the poll, the Telegraph weren't obviously trying to lead the response in one direction or the other.

If 2019 Conservative voters back the decision to sack her by only a very marginal 44% to 39%, remember that only about half of those still say that they would vote Conservative in an election tomorrow. So I would then expect the hard core who were still standing by the Tories in 2023 to be against the decision. And so I would expect the opinion amongst party members and the likes of Telegraph readers to be much more firmly against.
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

"Wokefinder General" is better on so many levels.
    Wokesmeller Pursuivant
  • Options
    biggles said:

isam said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

If she is anti-woke, shouldn’t she be a Tsarina?
    Very good.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

She's not unattractive. I was visiting someone in Knutsford in Cheshire and walking down the main street in blustery rain i mistook her for a model I knew. Quite stylishly dressed
    as well
  • Options
    Esther McVey
    Once went away
    Now she is back, in a political thriller
    Let's hope her necklace implies "vanilla"
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited November 2023
    Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

The word "tsar" is overused. Could she not be given the title "Wokefinder General"?

EDIT: I see the joke has been made. Apologies for lack of originality.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Looks like Starmer is having as many problems with rebellious leftwing Shadow Ministers and backbenchers as Sunak has had with the populist right in his Cabinet and the ERG on his backbenches
    No, it is worse for Starmer because it is completely pointless. No-one in Israel or Gaza will even notice how two opposition parties vote. For them we are a small country far away of which they know little.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, I think it should be taken as being reasonably representative of Telegraph readers. When conducting the poll, the Telegraph weren't obviously trying to lead the response in one direction or the other.

If 2019 Conservative voters back the decision to sack her by only a very marginal 44% to 39%, remember that only about half of those still say that they would vote Conservative in an election tomorrow. So I would then expect the hard core who were still standing by the Tories in 2023 to be against the decision. And so I would expect the opinion amongst party members and the likes of Telegraph readers to be much more firmly against.
    "When conducting the poll, the Telegraph weren't obviously trying to lead the response in one direction or the other."

What was the exact wording of the question? (Not being Telegraph subscriber.)

AND also what was the tenor of the article(s) that accompanied this reader survey?
  • Options
    I don't wish to cause alarm, but it looks like I am editing PB for the next few days.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So the majority of the public back Braverman's sacking, Sunak will hope having done that and brought Cameron back he will get a small poll boost as well as stabilise his government.

However 20% of voters saying he was wrong to sack her gives a significant pool for ReformUK to fish in to attract rightwing Tory voters disillusioned with the direction of the Sunak government now

If you had any sense you would let the fascist supporters head off to RefUK and start cleaning the extremists out of your own party and make them back into a serious political party again.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Errrr..... what?
    Front bench != cabinet.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited November 2023
    dr_spyn said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Starmer about to drain the swamp.

Up to 17 frontbenchers trying to fcuk up a 20 point lead in the polls.
    Sir Keir
    Tried to steer
    Around history
    But inconsistently
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Errrr..... what?
    Frontbench is a lot more than the shadow cabinet.

• Options

Emergency podcast news.

Rory's theory is that Rishi wanted William Hague, who turned it down and then helped recruit Cameron. Rory was not very complimentary about Cameron's grasp of foreign policy.
  • Options

Emergency podcast news.

Rory's theory is that Rishi wanted William Hague, who turned it down and then helped recruit Cameron. Rory was not very complimentary about Cameron's grasp of foreign policy.
    To be fair that’s not a prerequisite for the role. There are one or two advisers to help you, and much though I think it’s a silly appointment in light of Greensill, his access to foreign capitals, and credibility with their leaders, will be high.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Well If Cameron repeats his line 'Gaza is the worlds largest open air prison' they might feel they have a welcoming new home. Starmer is closer to Suella than many of us feel comfortable with
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

She's not unattractive. I was visiting someone in Knutsford in Cheshire and walking down the main street in blustery rain i mistook her for a model I knew. Quite stylishly dressed
    as well
    McVey
    The fit one
    Stocky has spoken
    Pecker’s awoken
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

as well
    Peak Roger.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Emergency podcast news.

To be fair that’s not a prerequisite for the role. There are one or two advisers to help you, and much though I think it’s a silly appointment in light of Greensill, his access to foreign capitals, and credibility with their leaders, will be high.
    Yes, as a former Prime Minister, Cameron is likely to have better access to top leaders, especially the ones he already knows. Is Greensill done and dusted or are they still looking in Australia?
  • Options

Emergency podcast news.

Hague has already been Foreign Secretary anyway, when Cameron was PM
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

Quite traditional, though.
    ‘Defence’ is responsible for war: Health for sickness; the Treasury for debt.
    McVey and ‘Common Sense’ are thus a perfect match.
  • Options

biggles said:

Emergency podcast news.

Yes, as a former Prime Minister, Cameron is likely to have better access to top leaders, especially the ones he already knows. Is Greensill done and dusted or are they still looking in Australia?
    How many of those are still around?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

The word "tsar" is overused. Could she not be given the title "Wokefinder General"?

Why is is "tsar" anyway? Why not, for example, "kaiser"?
  • Options

biggles said:

Emergency podcast news.

Well it’s bound to come up at the Covid Inquiry.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If you had any sense you would let the fascist supporters head off to RefUK and start cleaning the extremists out of your own party and make them back into a serious political party again.
    The problem is unless centrist swing voters come back from Starmer Labour and the LDs after today's shift back to Cameronism from Sunak, without voters on the right voting Tory but voting RefUK instead that just means even more Tory seats will be lost
  • Options
    Sir Kir "Royale" Starmer
    Looks like a farmer
    So he wore shades on a foreign trip to Israel to allay that impression, and he was
    Eyeless, in Gaza

• Options
    OK I really will stop now. I am annoying myself. It's like a fricking tune stuck in your head
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Errrr..... what?
    It's to give people time to back NOM at a decent price. All this hoohah + Cameron being back makes it a tricky week for Starmer.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Esther McVey
    Once went away
    Now she is back, in a political thriller
    Let's hope her necklace implies "vanilla"

Now she’s back, not as a cabinet 800lb gorilla,
    But political polyfiller.
  • Options
    @andreajenkyns

Enough is enough, I have submitted my vote of no confidence letter to the Chairman of the 1922. It is time for Rishi Sunak to go and replace him with a 'real' Conservative party leader.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

Or "Emir"?
    Or "Shah"?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

She should be called "The Fuck Around and Find Out Fuhrer", that's catchier
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@andreajenkyns

Enough is enough, I have submitted my vote of no confidence letter to the Chairman of the 1922. It is time for Rishi Sunak to go and replace him with a 'real' Conservative party leader.

I am so going to hell for helping Andrea Jenkyns get elected.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

Or "Emir"?
    Or "Shah"?
    The "Don't Be Stupid Duce"
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@andreajenkyns

I am so going to hell for helping Andrea Jenkyns get elected.
    I dont think Brady's postman's back is going to be under too much strain this week.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,663

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

as well
    Peak Roger.
    Nah, but a decent effort from rogerdamus
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Utterly shocked to hear Cameron is back in Politics. I remember a few years back there was talk of him looking to get back into Politics but never thought it would happen.

Overall a fan of his tenure as PM even as someone who voted remain (I was never a die hard remainder, but thought it would be better to stay in than leave).
  • Options
    Massive crack emitting steam.
    https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1724106414115950756

Not sure I’d go that close to it.
  • Options
    FPT

Re Cameron and the Lords.

Remove the really weird rule, presumably dating from the 11th century or somesuch, that no Lord is allowed to speak on the floor of the Commons.

Allow Lords to speak and take questions from the Commons. And while you’re at it you could allow members of the Commons to take questions in the Lords.

No real reason I can see why that isn’t allowed, other than archaic tradition.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@cathynewman

Errrr..... what?
    Front bench != cabinet.
    RCS One Hundred
    Blundered
    Actually as far as I can recall that's not been true at any time
    But he has a handle that's terrbily difficult to find something to rhyme
    With.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@andreajenkyns

Andrea Jenkyns is basically our version of Marjorie Taylor Greene.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Nigelb said:

I've been following a good YouTube channel on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cj1roa856Q
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Scott_xP said:

@lizziedearden

LOL
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Mad world lol
  • Options
    I quite like Cameron. He shows up his colleagues for the minnows they are. Starmer and Sunak too I'm afraid. If he could get Steve Hilton back on board it would be game on.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,789
    edited November 2023
    Nigelb said:

Did you see the photos of the golf course the other day? Now *that's* a hazard.
  • Options
    Fascinating leaflet received from David Duguid. Its Green. And only says the word "Conservative" in the imprint.

Someone is scared of the negative power of the c-word...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Suella Braverman?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

Same word. All variants of Caesar.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

IanB2 said:

He’ll be Scottish subsampling next, the rotter.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,663
    AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

Because the role is to be a reactionary autocrat, with thuggish backing, later deposed by her own people.

So Tsar fits perfectly.

• Options
    jonny83 said:

Utterly shocked to hear Cameron is back in Politics. I remember a few years back there was talk of him looking to get back into Politics but never thought it would happen.

Overall a fan of his tenure as PM even as someone who voted remain (I was never a die hard remainder, but thought it would be better to stay in than leave).

Cameron of course effectively led the Remain campaign anyway so not that surprising
  • Options

Fascinating leaflet received from David Duguid. Its Green. And only says the word "Conservative" in the imprint.

Someone is scared of the negative power of the c-word...

And no Ruth Davidson to invoke this time.
  • Options
    Believe that use - or rather abuse - of Czar (or as UKers seem to prefer, Tsar) stems from the dystopian hell of American government.

Excerpts from wiki:

Czar, sometimes spelled tsar, is an informal title used for certain high-level officials in the United States and United Kingdom, typically granted broad power to address a particular issue.

> In the United States, czars are generally executive branch officials appointed by the head of the executive branch (such as the president for the federal government, or the governor of a state). Some czars may require confirmation with Senate approval or not. Some appointees outside the executive branch are called czars as well. Specific instances of the term are often a media creation.

> In the United Kingdom, the term is more loosely used to refer to high-profile appointments who devote their skills to one particular area.

> During the tenure of [early 20th-century US House Speaker] Joseph Gurney Cannon, he was sometimes referred to as Czar Cannon . . .

> During the latter stages of World War I, President Woodrow Wilson appointed financier Bernard Baruch to run the War Industries Board. This position was sometimes dubbed the "industry czar".

> In the United States, the term czar has been used by the media to refer to appointed executive branch officials since at least the 1930s and then the 1940s under President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

& etc., etc., etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czar_(political_term)

SSI - editorial comment: this is one of the most wretchedly written wiki articles I have ever encountered.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

@hoffman_noa

Or “Fuhrer.”
This discussion has been closed.