Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Covid 19 legacy – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited November 2023 in General
The Covid 19 legacy – politicalbetting.com

Does it matter if those working in Downing Street during the pandemic did not abide by the Covid rules?It matters a lot: 64%It matters a fair amount: 16%It doesn't matter very much: 10%It doesn't matter at all: 6%https://t.co/8HSbsqRAFW pic.twitter.com/Rd1IC43L24

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited November 2023
    My perfectly healthy 20-something neighbours were very grateful for the summer of sunbathing on furlough cheques, but this hasn't translated into long-term support for the Conservatives - tens of billions squandered at the wrong time in the electoral cycle that our kids will be paying back.

The government's strategy of terrifying people about a virus with a measly 99.8% recovery rate (>99.9% for under 70s) blew up in its face. On this, they deserve everything they get, though of course Labour would have been far worse, and indeed were in Wales, for no obvious benefit. At least the Conservatives took the right decision on Omicron though. Starmer would probably still have us in lockdown. That alone should disqualify him from ever becoming PM.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,952
    Fishing said:

My perfectly healthy 20-something neighbours were very grateful for the summer of sunbathing on furlough cheques, but this hasn't translated into long-term support for the Conservatives - tens of billions squandered at the wrong time in the electoral cycle that our kids will be paying back.

The government's strategy of terrifying people about a virus with a measly 99.8% recovery rate (>99.9% for under 70s) blew up in its face. On this, they deserve everything they get, though of course Labour would have been far worse, and indeed were in Wales, for no obvious benefit. At least the Conservatives took the right decision on Omicron though. Starmer would probably still have us in lockdown. That alone should disqualify him from ever becoming PM.

Those 20-somethings were deeply stressed by the prospect of losing their jobs, with many taking on further education or other jobs in response.

Meanwhile, richer, older people had extraordinarily high savings rates through the pandemic. The holiday/restaurant class have plenty of those savings left to burn, fueling inflation, while everyone else suffers through the cost of living crisis.

That's why furlough has not translated into younger people voting for the Tories. What's interesting about that Yougov polling is how age doesn't seem to have much of an effect on how people think about lockdown.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,418
    Yes it matters and it is one of several reasons why the tories will lose the next election.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    I think the measures were too strict.

I'm not a Great Barrington-ite by any means, but I think that you could achieve 90% of the reduction in R with significantly fewer restrictions, and with many other things merely being recommendations.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm not a Great Barrington-ite by any means, but I think that you could achieve 90% of the reduction in R with significantly fewer restrictions, and with many other things merely being recommendations.

Maybe but the thing we got badly wrong was antipathy to mask wearing.

We could have had a lot more freedoms, and possibly no lockdowns at all, if people had got over their obsessive dislike of masks. They clearly helped prevent the spread as everyone in Asia knows.

We in the UK were also very slow off the mark. Johnson in his typical cavalier fashion, not paying attention to detail, allowed events such as the Cheltenham festival to continue after countries like Italy had already introduced significant restrictions.

Anyway, water under the bridge. The point isn’t really about whether we did or didn’t get it right, it’s that the Conservative Government in office didn’t follow its own rules which it had stringently imposed upon its citizens. The very definition of abuse of power and there will come a reckoning.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Wasn’t it 20% who wanted nightclubs shut down forever?

I hated lockdown with a passion, but much of the population loved it.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Lockdown was the making of me. Or the re-making of me. But I was very lucky: holed up in a cottage on the north Cornish coast, walking the coastal path everyday, living simply but beautifully with a log fire. No people around. No intrusions. It was utter magic.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: will peruse the markets (sleepily) shortly.

On-topic: the lockdowns, aside from the healthcare and economic consequences, were also a very rare case of the extroverted being forced to act in a much more introverted manner. Studies should be done into how many, and to what extent, people were affected by this. That should then have some (secondary) weight for future pandemic countermeasure consideration.

Of course, the inquiry should be focused on how best to proceed in the future.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    That first question is one of the few that probably unites those at both ends of the COVID spectrum (and in the middle).

Those who were in favour of very heavy restrictions naturally disapprove of those in power not obeying the rules.

But equally many of those who resented the restrictions will be annoyed that the people who imposed them were ignoring them.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    FPT (but relevant to this):

Leon said:

And here is @Foxy's largely peaceful protest in London, tonight

"Man calls police his “slaves” before firework is launched at police."

https://x.com/IncMonocle/status/1720880388912869602?s=20

The police are regarded with utter contempt by these protestors, they laugh at the police, precisely because the police do their bidding. The police do everything possible to protect these pro-Hamas guys, while arresting and dispersing anyone who opposes

This is the endpoint of multiculi policing which overly indulges Islam and Islamists

Maximum danger now for Labour.

If this all gets totally out of control we could end up having a snap 'law and order' election as Sunak sniffs a chance.
    How on earth would he win a snap law and order election when all Starmer has to do is remind people that several of the cabinet including the PM himself and the Home Secretary have criminal records?

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

The recovery rate was not 99.8% in June of 2020. It has become that through a combination of vaccines and the virus no longer being novel.
    Amazing how many people don't get that. Surely everyone knows personally of those who died, or nearly died? Were people asleep at the time, or have they forgotten so soon?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That was probably the scariest finding for me from the polling at the time. And the evidence of neighbours gleefully switching on their neighbours, which I saw a few proud boasts about on Facebook.

Convinced me that, were we ever occupied by a hostile oppressive power, they'd find plenty of willing collaborators.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I worked right through Covid but I'd essentially started to ignore lockdown by number three, and travelled for walks and shops, and to see my family in the garden and outdoors.

Sod this.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I worked right through Covid but I'd essentially started to ignore lockdown by number three, and travelled for walks and shops, and to see my family in the garden and outdoors.

Sod this.
    So by the end, you were behaving a little bit like the Cabinet and Civil Service had been from the start?
  • Options
    F1: looking like one of those races where there are too many potential bets rather than too few...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sod this.
    So by the end, you were behaving a little bit like the Cabinet and Civil Service had been from the start?
    I made my own assessment of the risk, yes, but I wasn't having massive indoor parties.

But that's by the by: the sad conclusion I've reached is that most people simply aren't liberals and actually prefer autocracy.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

On-topic: the lockdowns, aside from the healthcare and economic consequences, were also a very rare case of the extroverted being forced to act in a much more introverted manner. Studies should be done into how many, and to what extent, people were affected by this. That should then have some (secondary) weight for future pandemic countermeasure consideration.

The inquiry has already reached its conclusion.

I can tell you now it will conclude we should have locked down harder, earlier, stronger and with tougher sanctions, that the scientists weren't listened to, that next time they should, and it will otherwise focus on the trivia of WhatsApp messages sent by easy to dislike politicians, who'll be put in the stocks, and excuse those of civil servants and advisors.

To the extent it does focus on the future none of the lessons will be learned by those who need to learn them.

The more nuanced approach that @rcs1000 alludes to or a serious assessment of damage to education, young people, or wider mental health and healthcare won't feature.
  • Options
    My Facebook is *filled* with paid-for ads (which can't be cheap) from every British charity you can think of asking for funds for the crisis Gaza. I've never seen anything like it. I can't see a single big name that isn't up there. Except maybe Macmillan Cancer.

You have to ask of those who do click 'donate': how much of that money will end up directly in the pockets of Hamas in just a few weeks time?
  • Options
    Who was the guy (Lee Cain?) who said it was the wrong crisis for BoJo's skillset? It sounded like absurd whinging because one of the points of being in the big chair is that you don't get to pick your intray. But what skillset would you want?

Numerate enough to understand and interrogate the modelling and understanding the uncertainties. (Scientists do the latter way better than mathematicians.) Those uncertainties were always going to look horrible because there's an exponential process in the working of this thing, even if it couldn't carry on forever.

Willingness to do the unpleasant thing now to avoid the worse thing later. The lockdowns could have been attenuated, if not outright avoided, by keeping more lower order restrictions when things were relatively good.

The personal integrity and sense of leadership to do at least as much as you are demanding of others. See our own dear late Queen for an example of how to do it.

Conclusion: almost any other PM of recent years would have handled this better.
  • Options
    Betting Post

F1: backed Norris at 9.5 to win each way, with a hedge at 3 on Betfair for the straight win, just in case:
    https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2023/11/brazil-pre-race-2023.html

He and Verstappen were in a class of two in the sprint, and passing is eminently possible.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,384
    rcs1000 said:

The first lockdown was, viewed without hindsight, sensible I think - although it probably came too late. We didn't know fully what we were dealing with or how our system would cope. It was rational if for no other reason than to buy the government time to ensure it would and the scarier end of models wasn't right. Vaccine rollout aside, the errors then I think were chaotic decision-making that meant we lurched from government acting with complacency and arbitrariness to lockdowns which were too harsh and should have been avoidable with good planning and less intrusive restrictions.
  • Options
    MJW said:

rcs1000 said:

The first lockdown was, viewed without hindsight, sensible I think - although it probably came too late. We didn't know fully what we were dealing with or how our system would cope. It was rational if for no other reason than to buy the government time to ensure it would and the scarier end of models wasn't right. Vaccine rollout aside, the errors then I think were chaotic decision-making that meant we lurched from government acting with complacency and arbitrariness to lockdowns which were too harsh and should have been avoidable with good planning and less intrusive restrictions.
    I think that’s reasonable.

In particular, just thinking of education, a willingness to be more flexible about blended learning in November might have left us not needing to lock down in January.

The decision to work by arbitrary dates and the whims of rather stupid and frequently drunk civil servants rather than on expertise and a cool appraisal of the actual situation was a disaster.

But it’s what you get when you appoint the likes of Acland-Hood to senior positions.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Major house builder says not a single extra home will be built by Starmer

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/04/keir-starmer-labour-housing-crest-nicholson-property/

ouch !
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    edited November 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67325120

Jake Berry complained to the police that they were not dealing properly with rape allegations against an unnamed MP. And a suggestion that the Conservative Party was paying somebody involved.

This may or may not relate to the widely known case of the MP who has been banned from Parliament for about 18 months now. But it points to a deeply unsatisfactory relationship between Government, the Party, the Police and due process. This is unfair to all involved.

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,374
    How can anyone bet on football when you see yet another ludicrously stupid decision made about Newcastle's "goal" v Arsenal?
    There were three of the feckers checking it and they still got it wrong.

The game is better without it
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/04/keir-starmer-labour-housing-crest-nicholson-property/

ouch !

I agree.

I mean, Starmer's probably going to be quite busy running the country. It's not going to leave him much time for bricklaying.
    He's not a bricklayer, his trade is more about the gutters
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

I mean, Starmer's probably going to be quite busy running the country. It's not going to leave him much time for bricklaying.
    Are you suggesting he will plumb new depths?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

It is obvious that house builders (major or otherwise) won't build houses if they cant sell them. Vistry (owners of Bovis) have said they are cutting building of houses for sale to concentrate on social housing. New towns as proposed by Labour to be part of 1.5 million new homes cant be all social housing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

I think his enthusiasm will drain away
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

Will he then pipe down?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

Will he then pipe down?
    Only if someone taps him on the shoulder and tells him to stop plugging policies he cant deliver
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    ydoethur said:

MJW said:

rcs1000 said:

In particular, just thinking of education, a willingness to be more flexible about blended learning in November might have left us not needing to lock down in January.

The decision to work by arbitrary dates and the whims of rather stupid and frequently drunk civil servants rather than on expertise and a cool appraisal of the actual situation was a disaster.

But it’s what you get when you appoint the likes of Acland-Hood to senior positions.
    "... rather than on expertise and a cool appraisal of the actual situation "

I mean, that was part of the problem, wasn't it? Too many experts giving contradictory advice; along with other 'experts' giving their views to the media, stating what a disaster would occur if their views were not listened to. The government was overwhelmed with contradictory advice, particularly in the early days.

As I've said all along, I feel very sorry for the people who had to make the decisions. I;m effing glad I wasn't the one having to make them.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That was probably the scariest finding for me from the polling at the time. And the evidence of neighbours gleefully switching on their neighbours, which I saw a few proud boasts about on Facebook.

Convinced me that, were we ever occupied by a hostile oppressive power, they'd find plenty of willing collaborators.
    We have one such neighbour, CR. Still doesn't talk to us.

The irony is she snitched on my wife, who kept within the rules, but not me, who didn't.

Some people are just frustrated school prefects.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,841

Good morning, everyone.

I can tell you now it will conclude we should have locked down harder, earlier, stronger and with tougher sanctions, that the scientists weren't listened to, that next time they should, and it will otherwise focus on the trivia of WhatsApp messages sent by easy to dislike politicians, who'll be put in the stocks, and excuse those of civil servants and advisors.

To the extent it does focus on the future none of the lessons will be learned by those who need to learn them.

The more nuanced approach that @rcs1000 alludes to or a serious assessment of damage to education, young people, or wider mental health and healthcare won't feature.
    I see no reason to believe that that the Inquiry has already reached its conclusion, or that this is what they will conclude. For example, there has been some tough questioning precisely on the topic of whether the government considered the effects of lockdown on education and young people. (They had not.)

It seems ironic of you to accuse the Inquiry of prematurely reaching a conclusion, when it is you who has prematurely reached a conclusion on the Inquiry.
  • Options
    I thought folk on here were generally in favour of the will of the people?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MJW said:

rcs1000 said:

I mean, that was part of the problem, wasn't it? Too many experts giving contradictory advice; along with other 'experts' giving their views to the media, stating what a disaster would occur if their views were not listened to. The government was overwhelmed with contradictory advice, particularly in the early days.

As I've said all along, I feel very sorry for the people who had to make the decisions. I;m effing glad I wasn't the one having to make them.
    No experts on education were invited to give their views.

You did have a few 'child psychologists' on SAGE, including Michie. But no teachers. Only civil servants. Even the unions were frozen out.

This is one reason why the exam substitutes proved a major fiasco (well, that and the botched nature of Gibbs' reforms).
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,374

They are, and we will all be enjoying it when the Tories get thrown out and the SNP reap the same whirlwind
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

Churchill quite famously enjoyed bricklaying.
    https://winstonchurchill.org/publications/finest-hour/finest-hour-157/churchill-as-bricklayer/

It's be good to know a little more about the hobbies of our leaders; what do they do to unwind, to enjoy themselves? I mean, they all have to support a football club or two (how I'd love one to say "I can't stand football"); but what else do they do?

Robin Cook was famously a hillwalker (and sadly died whilst out on the hills); but aside from supporting Arsenal (hurl!) what are Starmer's hobbies? What are his passions? Ditto Sunak.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

The recovery rate was not 99.8% in June of 2020. It has become that through a combination of vaccines and the virus no longer being novel.
    Some of the restrictions were a bit bonkers, such as one way systems in pubs, and masking while moving around but not while eating. True Lockdown was actually only a smallish part of the whole time, with lesser restrictions for long periods.
    My favourite bonkers restriction in education was we were told by the DfE we didn't have to wear masks while teaching, but we should wear them in the staff room at lunchtime.

It was at this point I concluded the DfE were either actively malicious or so stupid they should all be sectioned.
  • Options

Human nature.

We all believe in the wisdom of crowds and the foolishness of the mob.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

https://winstonchurchill.org/publications/finest-hour/finest-hour-157/churchill-as-bricklayer/

It's be good to know a little more about the hobbies of our leaders; what do they do to unwind, to enjoy themselves? I mean, they all have to support a football club or two (how I'd love one to say "I can't stand football"); but what else do they do?

Robin Cook was famously a hillwalker (and sadly died whilst out on the hills); but aside from supporting Arsenal (hurl!) what are Starmer's hobbies? What are his passions? Ditto Sunak.
    He likes donkeys.

And he also funds a sanctuary for superannuated animals of the species equus asinus.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

Will he then pipe down?
    Only if someone taps him on the shoulder and tells him to stop plugging policies he cant deliver
    We shouldn't sink to that level.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

Will he then pipe down?
    I'm sure that you will continue to socket to him.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

Will he then pipe down?
    I'm sure that you will continue to socket to him.
    Wire change of formula?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    I don’t think that I knew anyone who died of Covid. I heard of people, mainly old and vulnerable, but they were friends of friends rather than anyone closer. The truth is that it wasn’t that dangerous but there was a great deal of uncertainty at the time. The biggest risk was that a wave of infections would crash the Health Service. Thankfully that never happened but I wouldn’t be surprised if consequential deaths and missed cancer diagnoses killed as many as Covid itself.

That seems to me to be something that the Inquiry might focus on. How do we stop something similar bringing our Health Service to a standstill? Not an easy task.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

Well we know Johnson spends his time making model busses out of old wine boxes, though strangely have never seen an example of his work.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

Well we know Johnson spends his time making model busses out of old wine boxes, though strangely have never seen an example of his work.
    Never heard it called that before!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

And Corbyn went out collecting manhole covers (fnarr, fnarr). We did not see any examples of those, either.

IMV both stories actually make them seem a little more real; a little more human. Actually, I'd argue there's a rather interesting aspect to Corbyn's 'passion'; wrt what municipal works have done for us over the last couple of centuries.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Media and people on here bang on and on about how things were too strict, so it's interesting to see that 40% say not strict enough.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ouch !

I agree.

He likes donkeys.

And he also funds a sanctuary for superannuated animals of the species equus asinus.
    I thought that was his mothers? Unless, consequent upon her death, he is taken it over.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I don’t think that I knew anyone who died of Covid. I heard of people, mainly old and vulnerable, but they were friends of friends rather than anyone closer. The truth is that it wasn’t that dangerous but there was a great deal of uncertainty at the time. The biggest risk was that a wave of infections would crash the Health Service. Thankfully that never happened but I wouldn’t be surprised if consequential deaths and missed cancer diagnoses killed as many as Covid itself.

That seems to me to be something that the Inquiry might focus on. How do we stop something similar bringing our Health Service to a standstill? Not an easy task.

One friend and one acquaintance died of it, both fit and spritely retired women.

If you look at the excess mortality it was overwhelmingly of viral cause, not from cancer etc.

Cancer and other emergency treatment never stopped, but it couldn't continue normally during a pandemic. My Trusts ITU, operating theatres and specialist breast cancer ward weren't sitting idle during the grim days of Jan to March 2021, they were stuffed to the brim with covid pneumonia patients. The beds and staff were already in use.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Media and people on here bang on and on about how things were too strict, so it's interesting to see that 40% say not strict enough.

There is a case to be made that being stricter on some measures (international travel for example) or more timely school closures would have led to better outcomes and shorter overall measures. I am not entirely convinced, but could well be true.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I'm not sure that you can.

If you have a novel, rapidly spreading infection, back of an envelope maths says that it will overwhelm any health system if you let it.

Suppose the NHS had twice the capacity it had in spring 2020. Ruinously expensive, I'm sure. Would have bought us about 3 days.

In a mathematical fight, exponential growth always wins. And the immunity we bought by infection in the pre-vaccine waves barely took a nibble out of that, whatever the Oxford modellers might have said.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

One friend and one acquaintance died of it, both fit and spritely retired women.

If you look at the excess mortality it was overwhelmingly of viral cause, not from cancer etc.

Cancer and other emergency treatment never stopped, but it couldn't continue normally during a pandemic. My Trusts ITU, operating theatres and specialist breast cancer ward weren't sitting idle during the grim days of Jan to March 2021, they were stuffed to the brim with covid pneumonia patients. The beds and staff were already in use.
    The cancer deaths are still mounting as the backlog is cleared. I know of 2 people who died when they would have had a better chance with an early diagnosis.

I also, through my work, know 3 people who committed suicide during Covid. The Faculty became seriously concerned about the consequences of isolation and depression during lockdowns and even afterwards with remote courts and little social contact.

Maybe the Nightingale hospitals we never really used would have been a better way forward although staffing them would have been difficult. I am not disputing at all that the Health Service was under immense pressure.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Maybe but the thing we got badly wrong was antipathy to mask wearing.

We could have had a lot more freedoms, and possibly no lockdowns at all, if people had got over their obsessive dislike of masks. They clearly helped prevent the spread as everyone in Asia knows.

We in the UK were also very slow off the mark. Johnson in his typical cavalier fashion, not paying attention to detail, allowed events such as the Cheltenham festival to continue after countries like Italy had already introduced significant restrictions.

Anyway, water under the bridge. The point isn’t really about whether we did or didn’t get it right, it’s that the Conservative Government in office didn’t follow its own rules which it had stringently imposed upon its citizens. The very definition of abuse of power and there will come a reckoning.
    The Cheltenham Festival was innocent, racecourses being famously outdoors. If it had been a spreader event, there would have been a peak in Ireland when racegoers returned home, and there wasn't. The reason government spinners emphasised Cheltenham was to draw attention away from Boris at the rugby just three days earlier.

Things we got wrong, or did not get right included:-
    • How the virus spread and the physics of droplets (a medicine-wide failure)
    • The possibility of filtering air
    • The role of air-conditioning
    • PPE stockpiling
    • PPE manufacture under licence
    • Modelling (and when asked to review Ferguson's model, the useless verdict was to rewrite it in each reviewer's favourite language)
    • How to conduct an inquiry
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

There is a case to be made that being stricter on some measures (international travel for example) or more timely school closures would have led to better outcomes and shorter overall measures. I am not entirely convinced, but could well be true.
    I'd interpret stricter more broadly to include locking down earlier, no eat out to help out, being quicker with red lists and quarantine from abroad etc.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Some of the restrictions were a bit bonkers, such as one way systems in pubs, and masking while moving around but not while eating. True Lockdown was actually only a smallish part of the whole time, with lesser restrictions for long periods.
    My favourite bonkers restriction in education was we were told by the DfE we didn't have to wear masks while teaching, but we should wear them in the staff room at lunchtime.

It was at this point I concluded the DfE were either actively malicious or so stupid they should all be sectioned.
    My research lab has 10 fume hoods turning over the air in the lab all the time. You couldn’t ask for better ventilation. Yet we we still forced to work at low capacity and wear masks and worse visors. There was an lethargy about adapting to new facts. We started to realise that aerosols were the issue not droplets, pretty early on, but advice never really changed to reflect that.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

I'd interpret stricter more broadly to include locking down earlier, no eat out to help out, being quicker with red lists and quarantine from abroad etc.
    EOTHO is an enormous red herring. The rise in cases in autumn 2020 is down to reimported virus from holidays to (mainly) Spain where a newer variant had arisen. When EOTHO w as running there were only a few hundred cases nationally a day. It was low risk.
  • Options

DavidL said:

If you have a novel, rapidly spreading infection, back of an envelope maths says that it will overwhelm any health system if you let it.

Suppose the NHS had twice the capacity it had in spring 2020. Ruinously expensive, I'm sure. Would have bought us about 3 days.

In a mathematical fight, exponential growth always wins. And the immunity we bought by infection in the pre-vaccine waves barely took a nibble out of that, whatever the Oxford modellers might have said.
    But exponential growth never happened in the real world as opposed to the models. It’s why they consistently exaggerated both infections and deaths. We took steps to break the chains and they worked sufficiently to prevent exponential growth.

We simply cannot afford surplus capacity sitting around waiting. Many, many people are dying on waiting lists as it is. I see this impact on capacity as the greatest challenge of a pandemic. But there are no easy solutions.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

My research lab has 10 fume hoods turning over the air in the lab all the time. You couldn’t ask for better ventilation. Yet we we still forced to work at low capacity and wear masks and worse visors. There was an lethargy about adapting to new facts. We started to realise that aerosols were the issue not droplets, pretty early on, but advice never really changed to reflect that.
    And we obsessed about wiping down surfaces and washing hands which were almost certainly pointless, at least in so far as Covid was concerned ( I accept it may have reduced other infections that we would have struggled to cope with).

I remember court hearings where we each had to wipe the lectern once we had finished our questioning. This went on for over a year, long after we knew the infection was almost exclusively airborne. It never really changed.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,817
    Really surprises me that so many in that poll think the restrictions weren’t strict enough. In hindsight too. What did they want, Chinese style lockdowns?

I agree with others who say the lockdowns brought out the snitches and school prefects in many, particularly certain police forces who seem to have taken the scientific advice that Covid was spread by fun and were clearing people off deserted beaches and buzzing them on moorlands.

Obviously we needed some restrictions in 2020 and 21 before the vaccines arrived. But we also needed common sense, and in retrospect the closure of schools almost certainly did way more harm than good.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MJW said:

rcs1000 said:

I didn't.

I would have done if the decision makers were bright, hardworking people who had decided to put their skills at the disposal of the country for everyone's benefit and found themselves facing this horror show when they had other ideas they wanted to implement for all our benefit.

Instead we had Cummings, Johnson, Case.

They wanted to be the ones making the decisions. They schemed, plotted, lied and forced their way to the top, at enormous cost to our economy and democracy, and when they got there found they only wanted the power and the glamour not to have to make difficult decisions they hadn't the intellectual firepower to understand.

Karma's a bitch.

The snag was the rest of us were buggered by their incompetence too.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,817
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But exponential growth never happened in the real world as opposed to the models. It’s why they consistently exaggerated both infections and deaths. We took steps to break the chains and they worked sufficiently to prevent exponential growth.

We simply cannot afford surplus capacity sitting around waiting. Many, many people are dying on waiting lists as it is. I see this impact on capacity as the greatest challenge of a pandemic. But there are no easy solutions.
    Yes, people took their own precautions. It’s this paternalistic authoritarian assumption that left alone people will continue with unmodified behaviour.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Surge capacity for emergencies in the NHS comes from reducing elective work. If a patient is admitted from ED then that bed is not available for a planned case the next day. This causes a lot of inefficiency as it means a surgeon and theatre team are idle. Spare capacity is one key to improving NHS productivity.

The studies on 33 countries including the UK didn't show a rise in suicide over the covid period until October 2021. Indeed there was a slight decrease in most.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(22)00303-0/fulltext
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

And we obsessed about wiping down surfaces and washing hands which were almost certainly pointless, at least in so far as Covid was concerned ( I accept it may have reduced other infections that we would have struggled to cope with).

I remember court hearings where we each had to wipe the lectern once we had finished our questioning. This went on for over a year, long after we knew the infection was almost exclusively airborne. It never really changed.
    We were forced to sanitise hands and the ball frequently when playing cricket.
    That, plus the madness of masks when moving in pubs, but not when sitting, is the height of the absurdity for me.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829
    rcs1000 said:

The biggest failure, IMO (and I said so at the time), was not to make earlier and more extensive use of lateral flow tests - which might well have given that result.
    It would very likely have met the needs of both the cautious, as well as those unwillingly restricted.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555
    File under: Meh?

“BREAKING: Israeli Minister of Heritage Amihai Eliyahu says that dropping an atomic weapon on Gaza is 'one of the possible options”

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1721070704806989884?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It’s difficult to measure these things, but the figures I’ve seen for additional cancer deaths is around 3500, compared to 232000 COVID-19 deaths.

How do we stop something similar bringing our Health Service to a standstill? Invest more in the Health Service. Waiting lists had been rising before the pandemic.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

We were forced to sanitise hands and the ball frequently when playing cricket.
    That, plus the madness of masks when moving in pubs, but not when sitting, is the height of the absurdity for me.
    For me it was the little arrows showing you how to queue one way around the supermarket

It seems funny now, but Lord it was bleak at the time
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

EOTHO is an enormous red herring. The rise in cases in autumn 2020 is down to reimported virus from holidays to (mainly) Spain where a newer variant had arisen. When EOTHO w as running there were only a few hundred cases nationally a day. It was low risk.
    Is that correct?

The main variant of concern in autumn 2020, and the first major mutation was the alpha covid. It was traced back to Kent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/19/the-uk-has-identified-a-new-covid-19-strain-that-spreads-more-quickly-heres-what-they-know.html

Perhaps it spread in Spain via British tourists, but it originated here.

• Options
    On the NHS side, the biggest concerns for the inquiry ought to be:-
    • whether we need more spare capacity (even though this is less efficient by another measure)
    • whether we needed to put every other speciality on hold
    • staff illness and burnout
    • GP capacity (still below demand)
    • care homes not receiving visitors
    • care homes receiving infected hospital patients (perhaps Nightingale hospitals might have formed a buffer here)
    The inquiry seems more exercised by whether Matt Hancock had any friends at Number 10.
  • Options
    The one way shopping meant it was bloody irritating if you forgot anything.
  • Options
    Leon said:

File under: Meh?

“BREAKING: Israeli Minister of Heritage Amihai Eliyahu says that dropping an atomic weapon on Gaza is 'one of the possible options”

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1721070704806989884?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Hiroshima today is quite pleasant.
  • Options

The one way shopping meant it was bloody irritating if you forgot anything.

The Hallett inquiry must surely address the great shopping list shortage!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Surge capacity for emergencies in the NHS comes from reducing elective work. If a patient is admitted from ED then that bed is not available for a planned case the next day. This causes a lot of inefficiency as it means a surgeon and theatre team are idle. Spare capacity is one key to improving NHS productivity.

The studies on 33 countries including the UK didn't show a rise in suicide over the covid period until October 2021. Indeed there was a slight decrease in most.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(22)00303-0/fulltext
    I agree that running our NHS so near capacity all the time is a major cause of inefficiency. I suspect it is a major reason for staff burnout and early retirement too.

On the suicide thing I am not sure what was going on. It may have just been a statistical anomaly. The deaths were all late 2021, not earlier. We have invested quite heavily in wellbeing, support groups and collegiality since. It may be that as a group we are more gregarious than most and were more susceptible. Or it might just be a coincidence.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    Anyone here still think Sweden, which did not lock down, got it wrong?
    They relied on people adjusting their own behaviour in light of the known threat.

https://www.cato.org/policy-analysis/sweden-during-pandemic#excess-deaths
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 835
    FPT: @StillWaters

maxh said:

viewcode said:

maxh said:

viewcode said:

maxh said:

... Anyone who goes on the march is responsible for their own views, not those around them.

"present but not involved"?

I vividly remember in my enthusiastic youth attending an anti capitalist demo in London. I was thoroughly surprised to see this very organised group of people, almost all men, flying black and red flags and with faces hidden. I had no idea I had bumbled across the really quite violent black bloc.

Being on the same march as them did not make me an anarchist, nor a criminal when they started smashing in bank windows.

Any big political statement will be broad brush and contain contradictions throughout.

We might as well argue that anyone who stays away from the protest is enabling genocide against Gazan children. It’s transparent nonsense.
    Fair point, but stated baldly it shows the strain. Let's reify it to a doctrine: the "MaxH doctrine" or the "The individual responsibility doctrine" thus:

"The individual responsibility doctrine: any individual in an activity cannot be held responsible for any other individuals in that activity, nor for the group or groups in that activity, and vice versa"

Incidentally you are probably aware of the "joint enterprise" principle: https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/issue/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-joint-enterprise/
    Sorry for the slow reply - yeah I think the joint enterprise point is instructive in trying to get beyond sweeping judgements on this.

From your link: intended to encourage or assist them to commit the offence. This is a key point for me. Full disclosure-I went to the protest in central Bristol earlier today (with a healthy dose of trepidation but also with a quote from a Palestinian journalist in my ears that turning on the TV and seeing protest marches across the world made them feel less alone).

At the protest almost the first thing we heard was a solitary member of the crowd with a microphone trying to start a chant of ‘from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free’. The heartening thing was that no one joined
    in. Nevertheless I didn’t challenge his antisemitism (which I regret, also that I didn’t film it to send to the police) nor did others around me.

I think anyone joining in a chant like that is then responsible for the reprehensible views that statement encodes, as they are ‘encouraging’ the offender as per joint enterprise. But someone who is nearby but chooses not to participate in that chant is not responsible for the views of that protestor. (I do think it is incumbent on mpeople nearby to challenge it, but that’s a different moral point in my view).
    Part of the challenge is that the bad actors will use evidence of the mass marchers - especially in the Middle East - more propaganda regardless of the motives of the individual

So you are indirectly aiding the evil doers
    Agree, as I said above any big political statement will be broad brush and contain contradictions-this is a very unfortunate one.

Two thoughts in response, though;
    1. If such thing as ‘evildoers’ exist, they clearly exist on both sides of this and, at present, I am indirectly aiding one side purely by being a citizen of a country giving nearly carte blanche to their military response. Just on the phrase ‘from the river to the sea’ bad actors on both sides use it to promote ethnic cleansing: https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/original-party-platform-of-the-likud-party
    2. Again an analogy from my enthusiastic youth I volunteered for a disaster relief charity. One of the many places we responded was in the Darien gap in Panama. We knew in giving out tents and tarps to indigenous communities, some of them would end up in the hands of violent drug smugglers who traverse from Colombia to Panama. So by doing what we were doing we were indirectly aiding ‘evildoers’. I don’t believe it made what we were doing wrong.

I will say, though, that the links to PSC organisers interviews that @FrankBooth posted last night have given me serious pause for thought. If the organisers of the demo are displaying antisemitism then I think that challenges much of what I have argued above. Had I seen those links, without knowing more I think I would not
    have attended.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    rcs1000 said:

Absolutely.
    The failure to do proper analyses and take advantage of opportunity-RCTs on relaxations (highlighted in witness testimonies as a failure even at the time) was inexcusable.

I firmly believe that a fraction of the interventions were powerful and a fraction were pointless and the rest were somewhere in between, and we could, and should, have ascertained which were which by autumn 2020.

But they didn't, so they had to go heavy-and-clumsy-handed yet again.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mainly because they were concerned with a real virus, and not a fantasy one with fantasy numbers that you, for some reason, persist in repeating.

In the real world, by the end of December 2020, c. 10% of the country had been infected. Somewhat over 4% of those infected had been so ill they'd been hospitalised, and c. 1% of those infected had died.

Of those infected, between a fifth and a quarter were 54 and under.

If this, in Fishing-maths, equates to "a... 99.8% recovery rate (>99.9% for under 70s)", then we really need to scrutinise any other stats you've calculated.

The reason for the issue was, as said repeatedly in all of the witness testimony, that the NHS would collapse if it needed to deal with that many people simultaneously, and when the real figures for infectivity and exponential growth, coupled with the real figures for those needing hospitalisation, they needed to do something serious.

Because, as they said repeatedly in the witness testimony, if we destroy the NHS, everyone who relies on it for anything (and even in the depths of covid, 70%+ of NHS activity was on non-covid healthcare) will be in a lot of problems.

Not to mention the economic chaos and destruction, but the "no, no, nothing happened, just a sniffle, shut up" tendency just prefer to pretend that everything would have swum on serenely, don't they?

In all seriousness, reading the witness testimonies can be very interesting, especially comparing back to back of people who didn't much rate each other (eg Cummings and MacNamara) https://covid19.public-inquiry.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/31180752/INQ000273872.pdf
    https://covid19.public-inquiry.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/01172228/INQ000273841.pdf
    Just to add, the Covid inquiry is streamed live every day on Youtube. What better background listening? It also has videos of previous testimony on its Youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/@UKCovid-19Inquiry
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829

ouch !

You would expect house builders to brief against a politician, and policies which might well (if enthusiastically implemented) impact the profitability of their effective land monopolies, though.

I am a Starmer sceptic - but that means I’ll judge him once he’s in office, and not in advance.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

The cancer deaths are still mounting as the backlog is cleared. I know of 2 people who died when they would have had a better chance with an early diagnosis.

I also, through my work, know 3 people who committed suicide during Covid. The Faculty became seriously concerned about the consequences of isolation and depression during lockdowns and even afterwards with remote courts and little social contact.

Maybe the Nightingale hospitals we never really used would have been a better way forward although staffing them would have been difficult. I am not disputing at all that the Health Service was under immense pressure.
    The ONS found no increase in suicide rates in Apr-Jul 2020: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/deathsfromsuicidethatoccurredinenglandandwales/aprilandjuly2020

The Apr-Dec 2020 suicide rate was *lower* than that in 2019 or 2018, but comparable to 2017: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/deathsfromsuicidethatoccurredinenglandandwales/apriltodecember2020

There’s still a complicated picture in terms of the effects of the pandemic and of lockdowns on mental health. Some studies report increases in poor mental health; others don’t. Those finding increases in poor mental health don’t necessarily find those increases correlate with lockdowns. The pandemic itself had a negative effect on people’s mental health. Too many people assume that it was the restrictions rather than the risk of the illness and the loss of loved ones to the disease that was the cause of poorer mental health. But I think we’re still to get to bottom of all the different factors, and different people were affected in different ways.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Good morning, everyone.

Interestingly, the conclusion I get from what I've read was that:

1 - You could have avoided lockdowns completely, in theory, but this was probably impractical for the first one as we just wouldn't have taken on board what was needed.
    2 - The administrative setup was far too inflexible and slow to react in both directions
    3 - They failed to take on board the needs of many segments of the population, including those who were poorer, did not have much room, did not have gardens, were pregnant, or had children
    4 - The capacity to carry out proper cost-benefit analyses wasn't there
    5 - Scientists were as slow to react to the severity of the disease and believe in what could and could not be done as anyone else
    6 - There was a complete failure to properly assess which interventions worked best and which were least effective. It was highlighted that the failure to allow people to meet up carefully out of doors all along was serious.

... and so on. Seriously, I'd recommend reading them.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

That’s not what the published research shows. Separate to the effect of people returning from holidays, EOTHO had a demonstrable effect on case numbers.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

ouch !

You would expect house builders to brief against a politician, and policies which might well (if enthusiastically implemented) impact the profitability of their effective land monopolies, though.

I am a Starmer sceptic - but that means I’ll judge him once he’s in office, and not in advance.
    It stands to reason though that private building companies will only build houses if they can sell them at a profit. Current circumstances have impacted that profitability and reduced sales.

The alternative is government funding, but neither national nor local government is in a financial position to spend big on housing.

So to increase house building we either need to reduce costs (for example lower specification) or restore private sector profitability.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

That’s not what the published research shows. Separate to the effect of people returning from holidays, EOTHO had a demonstrable effect on case numbers.

Exponential growth, too, so adding cases at the lower end of the curve was not what you wanted to do.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Waiting lists were growing before the pandemic. It’s not about having surplus capacity sitting around waiting. It’s about having insufficient capacity for normal times, let alone when a pandemic strikes.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

They relied on people adjusting their own behaviour in light of the known threat.

To be honest, I don't know. Nor do I know what to think of the argument that we did not need lockdown because people locked down voluntarily. That is different from saying lockdowns were useless.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Really surprises me that so many in that poll think the restrictions weren’t strict enough. In hindsight too. What did they want, Chinese style lockdowns?

I agree with others who say the lockdowns brought out the snitches and school prefects in many, particularly certain police forces who seem to have taken the scientific advice that Covid was spread by fun and were clearing people off deserted beaches and buzzing them on moorlands.

Obviously we needed some restrictions in 2020 and 21 before the vaccines arrived. But we also needed common sense, and in retrospect the closure of schools almost certainly did way more harm than good.

SPI-B advice was to stop the police from going overboard with enforcement. The Govt didn’t listen.
  • Options
    TimS said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes, people took their own precautions. It’s this paternalistic authoritarian assumption that left alone people will continue with unmodified behaviour.
    That assumption was never made. Discussion before the first lockdown was explicitly about how many people were already choosing to stay at home, for example.
  • Options

My Facebook is *filled* with paid-for ads (which can't be cheap) from every British charity you can think of asking for funds for the crisis Gaza. I've never seen anything like it. I can't see a single big name that isn't up there. Except maybe Macmillan Cancer.

You have to ask of those who do click 'donate': how much of that money will end up directly in the pockets of Hamas in just a few weeks time?

That is interesting about where charities advertise. On Youtube rather than Facebook, I get a lot of the Red Cross in Ukraine but I'm not sure I've seen any Gaza adverts.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

"We took steps to break the chains"
    Lockdowns.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

The ONS found no increase in suicide rates in Apr-Jul 2020: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/deathsfromsuicidethatoccurredinenglandandwales/aprilandjuly2020

The Apr-Dec 2020 suicide rate was *lower* than that in 2019 or 2018, but comparable to 2017: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/deathsfromsuicidethatoccurredinenglandandwales/apriltodecember2020

There’s still a complicated picture in terms of the effects of the pandemic and of lockdowns on mental health. Some studies report increases in poor mental health; others don’t. Those finding increases in poor mental health don’t necessarily find those increases correlate with lockdowns. The pandemic itself had a negative effect on people’s mental health. Too many people assume that it was the restrictions rather than the risk of the illness and the loss of loved ones to the disease that was the cause of poorer mental health. But I think we’re still to get to bottom of all the different factors, and different people were affected in different ways.
    I think that there were impacts on mental health, but that these might well net out as neutral. For everyone who found lockdown depressing, there was another person who enjoyed being away from workplace conflict, and enjoying time at home with family.

Our Medical Students from the lockdown years are an interesting bunch. There are both more dropouts and expulsions than usual, but the most striking thing is not mental illness but attitudes. Hopefully they will learn normal social skills in time.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    edited November 2023
    geoffw said:

What jumps out for me there is northern European countries did better than the south, and Nordic countries did better still.

Here's a different look at that excess deaths for Sweden, Norway, the UK, and New Zealand, which famously took a very different approach to lockdown.

• Options
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Is that correct?

The main variant of concern in autumn 2020, and the first major mutation was the alpha covid. It was traced back to Kent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/19/the-uk-has-identified-a-new-covid-19-strain-that-spreads-more-quickly-heres-what-they-know.html

Perhaps it spread in Spain via British tourists, but it originated here.

Re imported cases perhaps more significant than the new variant I’ll grant you, but EOTHO was not the superspreader idiocy it’s portrayed as.
This discussion has been closed.