Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour to launch a decapitation strategy against Clegg?

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,004
    Whilst wittering on about the Severn Barrage, would I be right in concluding that the Outer Barrage that would generate the most power might also protect places upstream (e.g. the Somerset Levels) from both tidal and much river flooding, at the cost of temporary power generation loss?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited February 2014

Hugh said:

isam said:

Matthew Goodwin ‏@GoodwinMJ 1h

The % of Brits who think environment in top 3 issues has jumped to 23% (+14) in one month. But Greens are still on 2% http://bit.ly/1gA1qK3

Good news. As me said just this morning, the biggest impact the floods might have on politics is to push the environment / climate change up the agenda a bit, which is an all-round V Good Thing.
    According to the Met Office, there is no connection between the two.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/02/over-flooding-the-met-office-has-hung-its-boss-out-to-dry/
    They didn't say that. They just said it wasn't possible to establish a connection. That's not the same thing. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''A Manhattan Project into new technologies, Carbon Capture, Fusion.''

How are you going to cope, politically, with the skyrocketing energy prices and widespread blackouts, followed by disinvestment from the UK in gargantuan size?
  • Options

Hugh said:

Scrap HS2 and build the Severn Barrage instead would be a good start.

This Severn Barrage?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/353688-severn-barrage-dead-in-the-water

Anyway who is going to invest in major energy infrastructure given the risk that Ed Miliband might become PM?
    The Tories need to hammer away at this. Ed's energy policy really is a special type of disaster zone.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Has the PB Hodges leader posted the results and proof of his ghost marginal poll yet? The Hodges poll, it's out there, somewhere.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    edited February 2014
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10501327

Rugby scrums should be banned in schools to protect children involved in a sport which is "not safe enough" for them, an expert has warned.

(Given the expert also called for high tackles to be banned, I'm a little skeptical about the quality of their advice).
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

Matthew Goodwin ‏@GoodwinMJ 1h

The % of Brits who think environment in top 3 issues has jumped to 23% (+14) in one month. But Greens are still on 2% http://bit.ly/1gA1qK3

Good news. As me said just this morning, the biggest impact the floods might have on politics is to push the environment / climate change up the agenda a bit, which is an all-round V Good Thing.
    According to the Met Office, there is no connection between the two.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/02/over-flooding-the-met-office-has-hung-its-boss-out-to-dry/
    They didn't say that. They just said it wasn't possible to establish a connection. That's not the same thing. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    If the climate is changing were there floods in the UK last winter or the winter before that?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Rugby scrums should be banned in schools to protect children involved in a sport which is "not safe enough" for them, an expert has warned.

(Given the expert also called for high tackles to be banned, I'm a little skeptical about the quality of their advice).

Rugby without a scrum is about as sensible and fun as having an orgy on your own or without any women.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2014
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

'Peter Bell is 63. He used to run a corporate communications consultancy but gave it up in order to concentrate on what he sees as his new job, albeit one which is unpaid, critiquing articles which, in his view, are hostile to Scottish independence. His usual routine is to rise at six in the morning, sit down in the living room of his home in Perth, at his Acer 17-inch laptop, experience “low-level despair” while browsing the morning news and then put in a good 12 to 16 hours’ commenting shift. '

Keeps them off the streets.
    What a saddo.

Note his initials are PB :-)

I was going to say this could be Porkie, but then who ever heard of a cybernat who lives in Scotland ?
    Me
    Come off it malc, you wear a cravat and live in Dorking.
    LOL, you been looking in your crystal ball Alan.

I am very concerned given I go to Spain on 19th September. Going by Westminster threats I will not be allowed given I will be an international leper by that time with no country, no passport and no money.
    So proud to be Scottish, that you're scuttling away to another country.

You'll miss out on the 'No' celebrations.
    So now unionists want to also ban us from having holidays
    Unionist? I'd be quite happy to cede Scotland Independence.

For starters, there will be no more Scottish Labour MP's at Westminster. Plus financial services moving south of the border, and naval ship building projects being awarded to yards in Portsmouth and the South Coast.

Your problem will be changing 'Eck-Groats' into Euros at a rate that actually pays for anything worthwhile in Benidorm.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Rugby without a scrum is about as sensible and fun as having an orgy on your own or without any women.

To each their own, TSE ;-)

• Options

corporeal said:

Yebbut isn't a scrum the same thing as an all-male 15-some?

:)
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

Whilst wittering on about the Severn Barrage, would I be right in concluding that the Outer Barrage that would generate the most power might also protect places upstream (e.g. the Somerset Levels) from both tidal and much river flooding, at the cost of temporary power generation loss?

You mean working in the same way as the Thames Barrier and closing at low tide to create a massive 'empty pool' to aid drainage down the rivers? Other than the (presumably reasonably significant) energy loss I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Article in the S/Times about a scheme to lay a giant cable from Iceland so they could provide cheap geothermal energy - surely not even the greens could have a problem with that one (apart from the energy being cheap aspect) ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Right on comrades !!

Peter A Smith ‏@PeterAdamSmith 15m
    Edward Snowden has been elected rector of Glasgow University. The ex-NSA whistleblower wins the vote. More on @STVNews at 6pm. #gurector
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

'Peter Bell is 63. He used to run a corporate communications consultancy but gave it up in order to concentrate on what he sees as his new job, albeit one which is unpaid, critiquing articles which, in his view, are hostile to Scottish independence. His usual routine is to rise at six in the morning, sit down in the living room of his home in Perth, at his Acer 17-inch laptop, experience “low-level despair” while browsing the morning news and then put in a good 12 to 16 hours’ commenting shift. '

What a saddo.

I was going to say this could be Porkie, but then who ever heard of a cybernat who lives in Scotland ?
    Me

I am very concerned given I go to Spain on 19th September. Going by Westminster threats I will not be allowed given I will be an international leper by that time with no country, no passport and no money.
    If you're going anywhere other than Catalonia I'd be more worried about Spanish immigration and customs if yes win.....
  • Options

No 8-some. Those girls in the backs don't take part.

After a 25 year stint in the front row, I can confirm that scrums can occasionally be scary. When the eights are evenly matched its generally OK. Its when one side is really on top that things can get a bit hairy.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @malcolmg

Judging by your post today, you are suggesting that the rUK government should continue to pay pensions for Scots post independence?

Just wanted to check I hadn't misunderstood you before I pointed out want a naïve suggestion that is ;-)
  • Options
    taffys said:

After a 25 year stint in the front row, I can confirm that scrums can occasionally be scary. When the eights are evenly matched its generally OK. Its when one side is really on top that things can get a bit hairy.

On top? Hairy? Ooo-er, missus!!

(BTW I stand erected, er, corrected - sorry! - re. the number of participants!)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Right on comrades !!

Edward Snowden has been elected rector of Glasgow University. The ex-NSA whistleblower wins the vote. More on @STVNews at 6pm. #gurector

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin, 1755.
  • Options
    Off topic, is it too early for Budget tax reduction bingo?

Now that property prices are above 250 grand on average, a stamp duty cut or threshold move has got to be an early favourite.

House!
  • Options
    taffys said:

There's nothing more masculine than putting your arm between other men's legs.

• Options
    Lennon said:

You mean working in the same way as the Thames Barrier and closing at low tide to create a massive 'empty pool' to aid drainage down the rivers? Other than the (presumably reasonably significant) energy loss I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work.
    That was my thinking. As the Severn is tidal as far as Gloucester, it would surely also help the Severn well above that as well. A double win!

And all it would cost are a few billion and some unproductive birds! ;-)
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,353

Sean_F said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the lefty academic vote is found far more in Sheffield Central, rather than Sheffield Hallam (and I'm sure there'll be a huge swing to Labour in Sheffield Central). Hallam, I think, is similar to Cheadle or Tatton, in socio-economic terms.

It depends on your definition of lefty academic vote.

Sheffield has two large universities, the most senior staff tend to live in Sheffield Hallam, the more junior academic staff tend to split between the two seats.

Also, I saw downthread, mentions of the anti-Iraq vote going to the Lib Dems in Sheffield Hallam, sorry but it doesn't exist here.

1) The Lib Dems took the seat long before Iraq.

2) In 2005, the first election after the Iraq war, the Labour share of the vote went up by 0.2%, and in 2010, it went down by 1.7% - So at most, the Anti-Iraq war constitutes less around 1.5%
    Sorry, my mention of Iraq was more in relation to the Lib Dems decapitation attempts in 2005. The point being, that if a decapitation strategy is to work (or even come close) I think it needs to get huge media coverage and buzz to counteract an incumbent MP's natural advantage, organisation and those on their side motivated by it. You need a lot of people to deliberately vote against an MP or party who might not pay that much attention or vote by habit. In a national election largely dominated by the fall-out from Iraq, trying to rid the commons of Oliver Letwin was never going to be a particularly potent message.

Inverse Clegg-mania on the other hand seems much more likely to have a degree of cut-through if you can cast him as a representative of everything wrong with the political class and government. Won't win the seat, but could be much less counterproductive than the Lib Dem's efforts in 2005.

• Options
    There's nothing more masculine than putting your arm between other men's legs.

I've often thought they ought to introduce scrummaging at those californian 'discover your inner maleness' camps....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited February 2014
    @Corporeal seriously disappointed in you NMRing the politicalbetting.com diplomacy game 2 turns in a row.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@malcolmg

Judging by your post today, you are suggesting that the rUK government should continue to pay pensions for Scots post independence?

Just wanted to check I hadn't misunderstood you before I pointed out want a naïve suggestion that is ;-)

Malcolm's in for a surprise.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    MJW said:

Sean_F said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the lefty academic vote is found far more in Sheffield Central, rather than Sheffield Hallam (and I'm sure there'll be a huge swing to Labour in Sheffield Central). Hallam, I think, is similar to Cheadle or Tatton, in socio-economic terms.

It depends on your definition of lefty academic vote.

Sheffield has two large universities, the most senior staff tend to live in Sheffield Hallam, the more junior academic staff tend to split between the two seats.

Also, I saw downthread, mentions of the anti-Iraq vote going to the Lib Dems in Sheffield Hallam, sorry but it doesn't exist here.

1) The Lib Dems took the seat long before Iraq.

2) In 2005, the first election after the Iraq war, the Labour share of the vote went up by 0.2%, and in 2010, it went down by 1.7% - So at most, the Anti-Iraq war constitutes less around 1.5%
    Sorry, my mention of Iraq was more in relation to the Lib Dems decapitation attempts in 2005. The point being, that if a decapitation strategy is to work (or even come close) I think it needs to get huge media coverage and buzz to counteract an incumbent MP's natural advantage, organisation and those on their side motivated by it. You need a lot of people to deliberately vote against an MP or party who might not pay that much attention or vote by habit. In a national election largely dominated by the fall-out from Iraq, trying to rid the commons of Oliver Letwin was never going to be a particularly potent message.

Inverse Clegg-mania on the other hand seems much more likely to have a degree of cut-through if you can cast him as a representative of everything wrong with the political class and government. Won't win the seat, but could be much less counterproductive than the Lib Dem's efforts in 2005.

I don't have the impression that many voters dislike Clegg at a visceral level (in the way that many disliked Portillo in 1997).

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Corporeal seriously disappointed in you NMRing the politicalbetting.com diplomacy game 2 turns in a row.

NMR? Did someone actually mention NMR on PB, other than me? :)
  • Options
    Hugh - I'm always interested in hearing your view from the left. Can I ask what part of the country you're from?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Charles said:

@malcolmg

For all contributions PRE independence yes. Anything less would be theft on a grand scale. Given the huge amounts I have paid in I fully expect them to honour their legal commitments.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Right on comrades !!

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin, 1755.
    Indeed. There's nothing "comrades" about it. The commies strongly believed in sacrificing individual rights for the greater good. Snowden's belief in constitutional liberalism is the opposite pole to such autocratic systems.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

For all contributions PRE independence yes. Anything less would be theft on a grand scale. Given the huge amounts I have paid in I fully expect them to honour their legal commitments.
    From an rUK point of view, it seems like a fair deal if Scotland doesn't honour it's obligations towards sharing the debt.

What will you be able to do about it? Hope that Salmond holds good on his promise to pay you. Feel lucky?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

For starters, there will be no more Scottish Labour MP's at Westminster. Plus financial services moving south of the border, and naval ship building projects being awarded to yards in Portsmouth and the South Coast.

Your problem will be changing 'Eck-Groats' into Euros at a rate that actually pays for anything worthwhile in Benidorm.

LOL , Benidorm is for the hoi polloi. Just you keep dreaming about that handful of jobs going south versus the thousands of jobs heading north. You forget you will not have our money to fund all those public service jobs.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @malcolmg

'For all contributions PRE independence yes. Anything less would be theft on a grand scale. Given the huge amounts I have paid in I fully expect them to honour their legal commitments'

You better hope that Salmond honour's his debt to RUK.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

Shame you didn't pay them into a dedicated fund then.

Pension liabilities willbe part of the discussion on sharing of net assets, but to expect the UK government to take an uncapped longevity risk is just silly. Can you imagine the future debates in the rUK if they need to cut government spending: whose pension shall we cut? People who can vote for us or people who live in a different country?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

LOL , Benidorm is for the hoi polloi. Just you keep dreaming about that handful of jobs going south versus the thousands of jobs heading north. You forget you will not have our money to fund all those public service jobs.
    I seriously worry for your mental state following a resounding no vote. The dissonance you are about to undergo could be truly life altering for you and some of the other true believers.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Charles said:

to expect the UK government to take an uncapped longevity risk is just silly. Can you imagine the future debates in the rUK if they need to cut government spending: whose pension shall we cut? People who can vote for us or people who live in a different country?

But the Scottish Government isnt suggesting that. They issued a paper last year with the reasonable proposal that they take on the payment of pensions for people living in Scotland.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pension liabilities willbe part of the discussion on sharing of net assets, but to expect the UK government to take an uncapped longevity risk is just silly. Can you imagine the future debates in the rUK if they need to cut government spending: whose pension shall we cut? People who can vote for us or people who live in a different country?

Shush! I was hoping that, following Gordon Brown's comments today, we'd be able to sell them a share of the 'national insurance fund' he was going on about.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

I wonder how many sensible Scots are now wondering about the security of their pension, following Browns intervention earlier?

Salmond could be gambling with your retirement savings Malcolm.
  • Options
    The best argument for Scots independence is that as 83% vote for socialist parties, they are simply so detached from the thinking of the rest of the UK that to force them on us is perverse.

England wouldn't choose to embark on a union with Scotland today any more than Hong Kong would want to try to achieve a union with North Korea.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    edited February 2014

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

I wonder how many sensible Scots are now wondering about the security of their pension, following Browns intervention earlier?

Mr Charles, what about people who retire to Spain? They can't (eventually) vote in the UK. So you want to deprive them of their pension? [EDIT} Sorry, of course you don't, but is it justifiable?

And indeed that deprivation is already happening, is it not? For some reason émigré pensioners are deprived of the inflation component of their pensions (I forget the details, but someone will know).

• Options
    Pound-lovers, there's a short piece on our sterling currency here that might be of some slight interest:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26169070
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    Bless. The PB tories, right wingers and scottish tory surgers are still shrieking away pointlessly. What is this, Day 4 or 5 of their shrieking marathon?

Yet they still can't understand why they are about as likely to persuade the scottish public as Osborne or Cammie are.

Why are there more pandas than scottish tory MPs again?

LOL

• Options
    edited February 2014
    BBC Parliament is showing a Scottish parliamentary committee on the EU membership post independence, for those interested.

I should add it is a recording from 23rd Jan.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Bless. The PB tories, right wingers and scottish tory surgers are still shrieking away pointlessly. What is this, Day 4 or 5 of their shrieking marathon?

Yet they still can't understand why they are about as likely to persuade the scottish public as Osborne or Cammie are.

LOL

First it was the PB whiners, now its the PB shriekers. Lovely jubbly.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

From an rUK point of view, it seems like a fair deal if Scotland doesn't honour it's obligations towards sharing the debt.

What will you be able to do about it? Hope that Salmond holds good on his promise to pay you. Feel lucky?
    Given we will have dual nationality it will be no issue, and if it is I will buy a house in England and collect my pension in any case whilst doubling up by renting it to a unionist loser on benefits, making Westminster pay me twice.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) Help! I'm frustrated because I can't remember something, and I can't remember enough to Google it properly.

Today I went to watch "The Monuments Men" starring Matt Damon and others (which was very good and enjoyable, incidentally) but before the film there was a trailer for another interesting-looking film about a relationship between a mother (with some sort of illness) and a man who has escaped from prison.

But I can't remember what it's called! I think it involves "Work" or "Worker" or "Job" somewhere in the title, but I can't find it by googling! *frustrated*
  • Options
    Mr. G, has much been said about dual nationality post-independence?
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

Charles I have a substantial dedicated fund thank you very much. The Westminster loot will just be pocket money.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    JohnLoony said:

(OT) Help! I'm frustrated because I can't remember something, and I can't remember enough to Google it properly.

Today I went to watch "The Monuments Men" starring Matt Damon and others (which was very good and enjoyable, incidentally) but before the film there was a trailer for another interesting-looking film about a relationship between a mother (with some sort of illness) and a man who has escaped from prison.

But I can't remember what it's called! I think it involves "Work" or "Worker" or "Job" somewhere in the title, but I can't find it by googling! *frustrated*

This one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day_(film)
  • Options
    saddened said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

I seriously worry for your mental state following a resounding no vote. The dissonance you are about to undergo could be truly life altering for you and some of the other true believers.
    Don't you worry about me, I will be fine.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

If you're going anywhere other than Catalonia I'd be more worried about Spanish immigration and customs if yes win.....
    Oh God. My worry is you actually believe what you write.

• Options

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

You stupid dullard , everybody in Scotland knows Brown is a lying fruitcake. Nobody listens to the idiot.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    RobD said:
    Labor Day is a very fine film. Not to everyone's taste, but I thought it was very well judged. Excellent performances all round too. Thought it was worthy of some awards nods, but seems to have just slipped on by....
  • Options
    saddened said:

There will be no discernible change - the chippiness-meter will still be off the scale....
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Mick_Pork said:

LOL

Why have you told that "joke" more times than there are tory MPs in the House of Commons?

• Options
    Neil said:

Charles said:

to expect the UK government to take an uncapped longevity risk is just silly. Can you imagine the future debates in the rUK if they need to cut government spending: whose pension shall we cut? People who can vote for us or people who live in a different country?

But the Scottish Government isnt suggesting that. They issued a paper last year with the reasonable proposal that they take on the payment of pensions for people living in Scotland.
    Neil, why do you expect these frothers to talk sense. They are only scared that their troughs will stop being filled. They would rather steal all our contributions and take it for themselves.
    Though the fact that they would act illegally and steal people's money would not be new.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    If the Conservatives referendum lock is a real thing, it should kick in this summer.

"Last year Britain opted out of 130 or so EU justice and home affairs measures, including the European arrest warrant. The finesse, if it can be called such, was that Britain would then opt back into about 30 of the measures … the date being pencilled in for a Commons vote is at the very end of the session on the eve of the Commons rising for the summer recess on July 22"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benedictbrogan/100260182/the-next-tory-plot-to-embarrass-david-cameron-on-europe-is-already-taking-shape/
  • Options

Mr. G, has much been said about dual nationality post-independence?

MD Scottish government has said anyone can choose Scottish or rumpUK nationality and UK has dual nationality with any UN approved country so unless they up the threats I would presume we will be able to choose either or dual.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Charles said:

Which is a very sensible proposal. But not MalcolmG's position - which is that the rUK government should con
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

Her hatred of Scotland makes her post absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Charles said:

Which is a very sensible proposal. But not MalcolmG's position - which is that the rUK government should continue to pay his pension.
  • Options
    Mr. G, cheers for the answer.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

I see your sense of humour is as well developed as some of our nationalist friends....

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Charles said:

Neil said:

Charles said:

Which is a very sensible proposal. But not MalcolmG's position - which is that the rUK government should con
    Charles, if you have paid contributions to the UK for over 35 years you will get your state pension from the rump UK after independence, DWP are happy to write to you stating that.

When you start paying your NI to Scotland then you will get your pension from Scotland. If I gave a pension company money for 40 years and then moved to England , they could not welch on paying my pension.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

And f*ck the birds.

Have you seen The Birds....?

If you look out the window and see a bird on a telegraph wire or on a tree - start to worry would be my advice...!

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    RobD said:

JohnLoony said:

This one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day_(film)
    That's it! N.Q.!
  • Options

Pound-lovers, there's a short piece on our sterling currency here that might be of some slight interest:

I can't let a mention of the world's best currency pass without a mention of Great Britian's highest village, which is named after coin debasement.

It's a shame it's in Staffordshire, but it's near enough the Derbyshire border to be at least partially civilised. However it's also let down by being near Cheshire, a county whose only positive attribute is Jodrell Bank:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash,_Staffordshire
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Neil said:

Charles said:

Charles, if you have paid contributions to the UK for over 35 years you will get your state pension from the rump UK after independence, DWP are happy to write to you stating that.

When you start paying your NI to Scotland then you will get your pension from Scotland. If I gave a pension company money for 40 years and then moved to England , they could not welch on paying my pension.
    malcom, you might want to check out the Scottish government's position on this issue.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

Charles I have a substantial dedicated fund thank you very much. The Westminster loot will just be pocket money.
    Excellent! Regulated from London?

• Options
    edited February 2014

I can't let a mention of the world's best currency pass without a mention of Great Britian's highest village, which is named after coin debasement.

It's a shame it's in Staffordshire, but it's near enough the Derbyshire border to be at least partially civilised. However it's also let down by being near Cheshire, a county whose only positive attribute is Jodrell Bank:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash,_Staffordshire
    It only makes number 5 on the real test though MD, but does have one near in 3rd
    http://www.garydickson.co.uk/pubs.html
  • Options
    edited February 2014

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

Who knows it is all in a final salary pension scheme with guaranteed payouts. There are a few hundred K of AVC's which may or may not be in London but they are paid in cash so no issue.

I will accept Sterling as well if not devalued too much.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

Another fine demonstration of your sense of humour!

Before you embarrass yourself further on pensions, you may wish to read this:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0043/00434502.pdf
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

Another fine demonstration of your sense of humour!

Before you embarrass yourself further on pensions, you may wish to read this:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0043/00434502.pdf
    Carlotta, it is all fun and never embarrassing but I will most certainly read it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

Who knows it is all in a final salary pension scheme with guaranteed payouts. There are a few hundred K of AVC's which may or may not be in London but they are paid in cash so no issue.

How naive.

• Options
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

First it was the PB whiners, now its the PB shriekers. Lovely jubbly.
    I've not used that one myself Rob but what an excellent idea. Thanks for that. I shall of course be sure to give you credit even after day 12 of the PB shriekers marathon on here.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

Jolly good. You may wish to read p75 onwards of the link I posted....to my inaccurate eye it rather looks like protection of DB schemes is rather predicated on there bring a currency union.....

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

I see your sense of humour is as well developed as some of our nationalist friends....

If it was a joke, then I apologise. I am relieved - but it's often hard to separate satire from tragedy on here.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

If it was a joke, then I apologise. I am relieved - but it's often hard to separate satire from tragedy on here.

That's what is known as pulling a 'Seth O Logue' on PB. ;)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

I've not used that one myself Rob but what an excellent idea. Thanks for that. I shall of course be sure to give you credit even after day 12 of the PB shriekers marathon on here.

Will PM you the address where to send the cheque ;-)
  • Options
    Pensions are just promises, they've long since spent the National Insurance money that was meant to be saved for pensions. I don't think all the pensions in the UK or an independent Scotland are going to be fulfilled.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

What a saddo.

Me

And all too often to separate inanity and insanity.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

Jolly good. You may wish to read p75 onwards of the link I posted....to my inaccurate eye it rather looks like protection of DB schemes is rather predicated on there bring a currency union.....

Mine is a private sector pension so no issue. Interesting document though.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Wiki opinion poll graph updated a couple of days ago - see link.

Lab dead flat, Con has increased by a very, very, very tiny bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

Will PM you the address where to send the cheque ;-)
    The sheer entertainment value of watching so many right-wingers and PB tories spout Gordon Brown's spin as if it were the last word in absolute truth is surely worth far more than any mere financial compensation?

I shall be reminding our PB shrieker chums of their devotion to the word of Brown many times henceforth. Many, many, many times. :)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

So who will protect private sector DB schemes in an independent Scotland?

• Options
  • Options
    Demichelis is playing for City tonight, a walking yellow card at 2.75
  • Options
    Mr. Pork, if you're going to make sweeping generalisations then you'll also be making silly remarks yourself.

This chap (often called a 'PB Tory' or genuinely mistaken for a Conservative) has never liked Gordon Brown nor leapt upon his pensions comments. I am unlikely to trust the word of Brown when it comes to pensions and ruining them, though I admit he has expertise when it comes to the latter.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    Neither is greed.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

I assume a new Scottish pension agency similar to the UK one. Given mine is guaranteed by one of the biggest corporations in the world and the pension scheme is fully funded it will be of no concern.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

The same people who protect them in the UK today - private sector employers.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

That's why I suggested you read p75 onwards - as with much else there are many SNP promises that are not within their gift - and there are particular problems (both sides of the border) with schemes which have beneficiaries in both countries in the event of a split. Once again, the SNP is making assertions of what the EU will do on the basis of probably nothing.....if your employer is solely in Scotland the only worry is who will regulate and who will step in in the event of trouble.....

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited February 2014
    malcolmg said:

I will buy a house in England and collect my pension in any case whilst doubling up by renting it to a unionist loser on benefits, making Westminster pay me twice.

Ooh, unlucky. Ed Miliband is going to make that illegal.

British fUK homes for British fUK people...
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,353
    edited February 2014
    @SeanF

It's right to say that he's not loathed as he was in 2011, but it's more curdled into pitying contempt. The problem for Clegg is that some of his most vehement supporters now dislike him the most, and when he tries to win them back he annoys those who may have warmed to him.

IMO it was less that Portillo was viscerally hated, more that he was the ultimate smug representative of the Tory sense of entitlement that turned their last years in power into a bit of a farce.

Clegg is now perhaps the ultimate representative of an altogether different sense of entitlement - the professional politician and technocrat in power for power's sake that people loathe, but because they think the same about all the party leaderships to lesser degrees it lacks quite the potency of the mid-90s.

• Options

has never liked Gordon Brown nor leapt upon his pensions comments. I am unlikely to trust the word of Brown when it comes to pensions and ruining them, though I admit he has expertise when it comes to the latter.

Then I'm somewhat unlikely to remind you of your trust in Brown. The most amusing scottish tory surgers and right wingers on the other hand...

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

@malcolmg

That's why I suggested you read p75 onwards - as with much else there are many SNP promises that are not within their gift - and there are particular problems (both sides of the border) with schemes which have beneficiaries in both countries in the event of a split. Once again, the SNP is making assertions of what the EU will do on the basis of probably nothing.....if your employer is solely in Scotland the only worry is who will regulate and who will step in in the event of trouble.....

Yes , if that was the case I would be concerned but fortunately it is not and as per previous post to Watcher should hopefully be as safe as it can be. As I say I am very fortunate but will be more of an exception than the rule.
This discussion has been closed.