Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sunak’s epitaph? A terrible Prime Minister but not as bad as Truss or Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• eristdoof said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

. . . and another one bites the dust . . .

AP (via Seattle Times) - Jenna Ellis becomes latest Trump lawyer to plead guilty over efforts to overturn Georgia’s election

ATLANTA (AP) — Attorney and prominent conservative media figure Jenna Ellis pleaded guilty on Tuesday to a felony charge over efforts to overturn Donald Trump’s 2020 election loss in Georgia, tearfully telling the judge she looks back on that time with “deep remorse.”

Ellis, the fourth defendant in the case to enter into a plea deal, was a vocal part of Trump’s reelection campaign in the last presidential cycle and was charged alongside the Republican former president and 17 others with violating the state’s anti-racketeering law.

Ellis pleaded guilty to one felony count of aiding and abetting false statements and writings. She had been facing charges of violating Georgia’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and soliciting the violation of oath by a public officer, both felonies.

She rose to speak after pleading guilty, fighting back tears as she said she would have not have represented Trump after the 2020 election if she knew then what she knows now, claiming that she she relied on lawyers with much more experience than her and failed to verify the things they told her.

“What I did not do but should have done, Your Honor, was to make sure that the facts the other lawyers alleged to be true were in fact true,” the 38-year-old Ellis said.

I suspect everyone they wish to use against Trump will be offered (and accept) a plea bargain.

Leaving the final case to be all the original defendants offering evidence against Trump and Rudy...
    Yet he is still the 2.9 fav for the WH. That price, for me, is one of the wonders of the world. I can sit looking at it for hours.
    What can actually damage Trump electorally though? His supporters treat him as a god, and the independents dont like Biden or the direction of the country.

The only shifts I expect are for swing voters based on the economy and household finances, which could go either way. The rest is noise.
    I'm taking a different view. I think it's not tenable (even in this crazy world) to have as a candidate for US president a guy who is likely going down for election fraud and racketeering, and I think this will dawn on enough people (and in time) such that come November he won't be on the ballot. I realize I'm almost alone on here with this but that's all the better so long as I'm right. And I really am confident about it. Maybe I shouldn't be but I am. We will see. The next year will be fascinating.
    So no specific event? Just a general feeling of had enough?
    Probably a small event, one from a long list of small events that breaks the camel's back (or in this case the elephant's back). It would be impossible to tell.
    I just struggle to see an event (bar serious illness) that his supporters will care about and he cannot use to re-enforce his victim of the evil big lefty liberal state strategy. Trial = unfair. Found guilty - told you so, if it can happen to a billionaire like me, it shows you can't trust them. Scandal = lies, fake media, you have to listen to me, I am on your side.

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

Surprised the usual suspects didn't post this showing Biden's Trump's mental decline.

Trump: I was very honored, there’s a man, Viktor Orbán. He’s the leader of Turkey

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1716539683990114683

Orban does actualy participate in the organisation of Turkic states.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,752
    rcs1000 said:

Has anyone watched Slow Horses?

I watched the first episode last night, and - my God - what an amazing cast squandered.

The opening scene - which you discover later is a training exercise - makes absolutely no sense at all. (And the more you think about it, the more ridiculous it appears.)

People who aren't complete muppets have nice things to say about it. Which means I may stick with it. But boy, was it pants.

It improves somewhat.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    nova said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sunak now rated as a worse PM than May and Brown and while he may be more competent than Johnson he lacks Boris' campaigning skills which won him a landslide victory while Sunak looks to be heading for defeat

You make the assumption that Bozo won the last election.

No he didn't - he was just the least worst option after Corbyn's honeymoon had well and truly finished...

Heck Corbyn only did well in 2017 because May ran one of the worst election campaigns of all time - committing electoral suicide by introducing a death tax to pay for social care.
    No. Theresa May lost the 2017 election when she axed thousands of coppers and then there were two terrorist (see the last thread for a definition) outrages during the election campaign itself.
    Or perhaps there were multiple reasons?

Both the Manchester bombing, and the manifesto/social care u-turn, happened around the same time, so picking one of those as the key is difficult. The downturn in support started at the manifesto, so it's possible the social care problems were the starter.

The fall in Tory support however was small in comparison to the rise in Labour. Labour's rise also started as soon as the campaign started, and was steady throughout - suggesting that Corbyn wasn't simply benefiting from May's problems.

I'm not much of a fan of Corbyn, but for one month he was on his best behaviour, and came across very well during the campaign, while May in contrast turned out to be a bit odd. Corbyn had been portrayed as a bit of a crazed lefty up till that point, but during a campaign where he avoided slip-ups and kept his temper in check for once, he got a second chance to make a first impression.
    It turned rather bizarrely after Corbyns speech at Tranmere Rovers stadium.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/may/21/jeremy-corbyn-music-festival-tranmere-rovers-ground-video?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

After that he just kept going. When he keeps away from Middle East politics, Jezza is a formidable campaigner.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

There are an increasing number of voices raising the alarm over the electoral consequences for the Democrats over Biden's support for Israel.

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/biden-israel-palestine-policy-election/

Biden risks labeling himself as a president who is in favor of colonization, and one who will turn a blind eye to ethnic cleansing and war crimes—and those are tough labels to shake once they take hold in communities of color.

Elections are rarely won on foreign policy.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Has anyone watched Slow Horses?

I watched the first episode last night, and - my God - what an amazing cast squandered.

The opening scene - which you discover later is a training exercise - makes absolutely no sense at all. (And the more you think about it, the more ridiculous it appears.)

People who aren't complete muppets have nice things to say about it. Which means I may stick with it. But boy, was it pants.

It improves somewhat.
    O damned by faint praise!
  • . . . and another one bites the dust . . .

AP (via Seattle Times) - Jenna Ellis becomes latest Trump lawyer to plead guilty over efforts to overturn Georgia’s election

ATLANTA (AP) — Attorney and prominent conservative media figure Jenna Ellis pleaded guilty on Tuesday to a felony charge over efforts to overturn Donald Trump’s 2020 election loss in Georgia, tearfully telling the judge she looks back on that time with “deep remorse.”

Ellis, the fourth defendant in the case to enter into a plea deal, was a vocal part of Trump’s reelection campaign in the last presidential cycle and was charged alongside the Republican former president and 17 others with violating the state’s anti-racketeering law.

Ellis pleaded guilty to one felony count of aiding and abetting false statements and writings. She had been facing charges of violating Georgia’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and soliciting the violation of oath by a public officer, both felonies.

She rose to speak after pleading guilty, fighting back tears as she said she would have not have represented Trump after the 2020 election if she knew then what she knows now, claiming that she she relied on lawyers with much more experience than her and failed to verify the things they told her.

“What I did not do but should have done, Your Honor, was to make sure that the facts the other lawyers alleged to be true were in fact true,” the 38-year-old Ellis said.

A lot of Jan 6 insurrectionists have pled guilty and cried crocodile tears, and then when they got a light sentence, went around saying that they didn't mean it and Trump won blah blah. I wonder whether Powell, Ellis etc. will be doing the rounds of Fox News saying they didn't mean any of this, or is there a way they can be restrained from doing that?
    In this case methinks the guilty are restrained by terms of their plea deals.

Seeing as how they are/will be key witness against Trump.
  • And again from previous thread: Andy_JS asked for an explanation for Trump's supporters. That's a big question, but I can give two quick places to start.

First, there are many historical precedents for Trump; we have had our share of corrupt politicians and demagogues.

Second, there are serious problems in the US that our leftist leaders have been unwillling to confront: To me the most important one is the weakening of the family, and the drop out of so many American men from work. (About 1 in 6 American men aged 25-54 are neither in school nor working, at a time when there are many unfilled jobs.)

Total fertility rates fell sharply during the Obama administration, and have not recovered. Life expectancy -- in spite of many advances in medicine -- began to fall during the last years of the Obama administration, and has not recovered.

A couple of years ago I did a thread on PB loking at one of the reasons Trump is so popular - the collapsing fortunes of the middle class.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/01/09/this-is-not-about-trump-except-of-course-it-is/
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    viewcode said:

Also from previous thread: Is abortion totally banned in any American state?

Not according to the pro-abortion Guttmacher Institute. (Their headlines say banned, but the article text modifies that with "Near-total" for every state where it is "banned".)
    https://www.guttmacher.org/2023/01/six-months-post-roe-24-us-states-have-banned-abortion-or-are-likely-do-so-roundup

According to this, Alabama has a total abortion ban.

https://reproductiverights.org/maps/abortion-laws-by-state/?state=AL
    https://reproductiverights.org/maps/abortion-laws-by-state/
    The SCOTUS has placed USA states in the same position as in the UK: it's a matter for voters and legislators. Voters who disagree with what their state has done know exactly what to do about it. The row is somewhat confected and overdone.

The SCOTUS should of course do the same with guns, where only a perverse reading of the constitution allows the present malign set up.
  • algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

Not according to the pro-abortion Guttmacher Institute. (Their headlines say banned, but the article text modifies that with "Near-total" for every state where it is "banned".)
    https://www.guttmacher.org/2023/01/six-months-post-roe-24-us-states-have-banned-abortion-or-are-likely-do-so-roundup

The SCOTUS has placed USA states in the same position as in the UK: it's a matter for voters and legislators. Voters who disagree with what their state has done know exactly what to do about it. The row is somewhat confected and overdone.

The SCOTUS should of course do the same with guns, where only a perverse reading of the constitution allows the present malign set up.
    Should they do the same with slavery? (Obviously not but I am pointing out the flaw in that thinking)
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Can you remember Jewish Voice for Labour? The group that supported Corbyn, and whose support meant (according to some) that there was no way Corbyn could be anti-Semitic?

They just published this:

"Many details of what transpired on Oct 7 continue to be shrouded in mystery, including how the 1,400 Israelis who died were killed. A growing number of reports indicate the Israeli military was responsible for civilian and military deaths"

https://twitter.com/JVoiceLabour/status/1716486845305942498

Whether abortion is totally banned or almost but not quite totally banned seems beside the point that Trump's presidency was consequential.

1 in 3 women in the UK have an abortion. Imagine a law change here that saw told 1 in 3 women that what they'd done was now criminal.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053

eristdoof said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

I suspect everyone they wish to use against Trump will be offered (and accept) a plea bargain.

Leaving the final case to be all the original defendants offering evidence against Trump and Rudy...
    Yet he is still the 2.9 fav for the WH. That price, for me, is one of the wonders of the world. I can sit looking at it for hours.
    What can actually damage Trump electorally though? His supporters treat him as a god, and the independents dont like Biden or the direction of the country.

The only shifts I expect are for swing voters based on the economy and household finances, which could go either way. The rest is noise.
    I'm taking a different view. I think it's not tenable (even in this crazy world) to have as a candidate for US president a guy who is likely going down for election fraud and racketeering, and I think this will dawn on enough people (and in time) such that come November he won't be on the ballot. I realize I'm almost alone on here with this but that's all the better so long as I'm right. And I really am confident about it. Maybe I shouldn't be but I am. We will see. The next year will be fascinating.
    Probably a small event, one from a long list of small events that breaks the camel's back (or in this case the elephant's back). It would be impossible to tell.
    I just struggle to see an event (bar serious illness) that his supporters will care about and he cannot use to re-enforce his victim of the evil big lefty liberal state strategy. Trial = unfair. Found guilty - told you so, if it can happen to a billionaire like me, it shows you can't trust them. Scandal = lies, fake media, you have to listen to me, I am on your side.

Yeah, but it's not about the Trump fanatics. It's about the 40 million or so normal Republican voters. At some point they will start saying to themselves, "This guy is such a goddam-nincompoop* I just cant bring myself to vote for him".
    If there is a significant drop in the normal republican support then he's not going to win the elcetion**

* because this is how a typical republican swears

** mind you I though this in 2016 and 2020 as well.
  • NYT live blog

> Tom Emmer of Minnesota wins the speakership nomination, making him the third to do so since Kevin McCarthy’s ouster.

> Republicans are now expected to take another closed-door vote to see how many members in the conference will pledge support for Emmer on the House floor.

SSI - in this context, note that Emmer voted in favor of the last deal to fund the federal government . . . the very vote that led to McCarthy's defenestration.
  • eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Yeah, but it's not about the Trump fanatics. It's about the 40 million or so normal Republican voters. At some point they will start saying to themselves, "This guy is such a goddam-nincompoop* I just cant bring myself to vote for him".
    If there is a significant drop in the normal republican support then he's not going to win the elcetion**

* because this is how a typical republican swears

** mind you I though this in 2016 and 2020 as well.
    They are a mix of those who dislike Biden more and those who vote based on the economy and household finances.

Your "normal" Republican is now someone who believes the 2020 election was stolen and supports Trump. They have made their bed.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Maybe an event. Or maybe that thing whereby something absurd (in this case Donald Trump back in the White House) finally starts to look absurd to a critical mass of people and then, kaboom, things change quite quickly. It can appear sudden even though it's been building for a while. I have a couple of mental images: emperor's new clothes, and the cartoon character who runs off a cliff and for a while stays in mid air, legs pumping, defying gravity before he succumbs to reality and falls. That's Trump for me, one of those.
  • Good afternoon

It is just over a week since my GP sent me directly to A & E where I spent an uncomfortable overnighter before seeing the A & E doctor who immediately admitted me with a suspected substantial DVT which was confirmed by an ultrasound scan

The hospital team have been wonderful and caring, and I have my own dedicated nurse if required. I understand I am on a six month treatment plan and may need blood thinners indefinitely.

Coupled with some other health issues, and my dear wife catching a really bad dose of covid, notwithstanding our 7th vaccination on the 2nd October these events have had a sobering effect on myself and my family

I simply have lost interest in the day to day arguments in politics and to be honest see no way back for the conservatives who have self destructed and in my opinion handed Sunak the short straw which he has obviously struggled with

I wish Starmer and labour well but they have a extraordinary task, indeed even an impossible task, facing them but the demand for change is overwhelming

I have popped in and out of the forum and enjoyed the vast topics discussed, including how to cook rice, and the more somber Israel war and will continue to do so but maybe not contribute as much as I used to

PB must be cherished by everyone using it as it is an exceptional discussion forum, even though some get over overexcited, and it is a great credit to those responsible for it

I did want to provide an update as I am still here, and fighting against the grim reaper

And as an aside my son and his colleagues feature in a rescue by Llandudno RNLI on Thursday on BBC2 saving lives at sea documentary

My best wishes to all

Keep fighting my friend. We're all here for you.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Fantastic century by Bangladesh's Mahmudullah.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/66858469
  • NYT live blog - Tom Emmer defeated Mike Johnson, 117 votes to 97, according to members in the room.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,634
    Foxy said:

nova said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sunak now rated as a worse PM than May and Brown and while he may be more competent than Johnson he lacks Boris' campaigning skills which won him a landslide victory while Sunak looks to be heading for defeat

No he didn't - he was just the least worst option after Corbyn's honeymoon had well and truly finished...

Heck Corbyn only did well in 2017 because May ran one of the worst election campaigns of all time - committing electoral suicide by introducing a death tax to pay for social care.
    No. Theresa May lost the 2017 election when she axed thousands of coppers and then there were two terrorist (see the last thread for a definition) outrages during the election campaign itself.

Both the Manchester bombing, and the manifesto/social care u-turn, happened around the same time, so picking one of those as the key is difficult. The downturn in support started at the manifesto, so it's possible the social care problems were the starter.

The fall in Tory support however was small in comparison to the rise in Labour. Labour's rise also started as soon as the campaign started, and was steady throughout - suggesting that Corbyn wasn't simply benefiting from May's problems.

I'm not much of a fan of Corbyn, but for one month he was on his best behaviour, and came across very well during the campaign, while May in contrast turned out to be a bit odd. Corbyn had been portrayed as a bit of a crazed lefty up till that point, but during a campaign where he avoided slip-ups and kept his temper in check for once, he got a second chance to make a first impression.
    It turned rather bizarrely after Corbyns speech at Tranmere Rovers stadium.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/may/21/jeremy-corbyn-music-festival-tranmere-rovers-ground-video?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

After that he just kept going. When he keeps away from Middle East politics, Jezza is a formidable campaigner.
    I was at that. Though deliberately went to the bar then. But he wasn't formidable in 2019. The Tory campaign was just so inept in 2017 it couldn't pick up on his faults, and when Corbyn's popularity reverted back to merely 'normally unpopular' instead of 'really disliked even by his own voters', lots of Labour or Remain people came home and compensated for some of the gains the Tories made from leavers. As to why it was inept, remember the Tories failed to cost their own manifesto - which completely destroyed one of their best attack lines (and one that worked in 2019) in terms of Labour spending plans being a fantastical wish list. They cocked up social care obviously. They also were very bad at drawing out why he had issues on foreign policy and national security, and seeing him as a scruffy idiot rather than someone with bad ideas. Critics from outside the Tory Party have always made a stronger case because aren't just going "Boo! Crazy socialist!" But rather engaging with why views should be disqualifying. And on Brexit, of course, well both teams had abstract plans which allowed you to believe what you want. That all came unstuck - and proved to be, rather like Sunak now, impatient and sniffy - when pressure was actually put on him. But in 2017 the Tories were so inept they basically gave him a free ride to show his fluffier "Oh I just want nice things" side.

rcs1000 - You can probably find an interesting example of the other extreme on abortion if you search on Obama + "born alive" bill.

https://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/24/politics/fact-checking-gingrich-infanticide-charge/index.html for those of you who don't want the MAGA version.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520

NYT live blog - Tom Emmer defeated Mike Johnson, 117 votes to 97, according to members in the room.

That doesn’t sound definitive enough to get the magic number.

Odds have to be the madness continues?
  • NYT live blog - Tom Emmer defeated Mike Johnson, 117 votes to 97, according to members in the room.

That doesn’t sound definitive enough to get the magic number.

Odds have to be the madness continues?
    NYT live blog - Emmer’s total was slightly less than Jim Jordan’s nomination but slightly more than Steve Scalise’s. Emmer’s win certainly does not suggest that support for him is overwhelming.
    edited October 2023
    algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

Voters largely support abortion being legal. Republicans have tried their usual bag of dirty tricks to prevent voters having a say. For example, Ohio allows constitutional amendments on a vote, so Republicans have proposed a 60% supermajority being required in future, explicitly to stop a pro-abortion amendment. More examples at https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/some-republican-officials-are-trying-to-keep-abortion-off-of-state-ballots-heres-how
  • nova said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Lynton Crosby ran a shockingly bad campaign but managed to blame it on Nick Timothy's social care plans, so maybe he is a good spin doctor after all. I bang on about this a lot but it is another example of party managers not noticing there has been a change of leader. The presidential campaign was suited to David Cameron. Now, Sunak is presented as an ersatz Boris. Same for Labour with Brown/Blair.

So we had Theresa May being uneasy with large crowds, her Cabinet hidden away, parroting "strong and stable" which was immediately undermined by the u-turn on social care, denying that thousands fewer police made it easier for terrorists.

And Jeremy Corbyn was on top form, as you say, with a popular programme, much of which was pinched by Boris for 2019.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    England no longer bottom of the group thanks to Bangladesh. Yayyyyyy...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    It’s like a De Chirico painting meets some Vespers by Arvo Part

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    Off topic, back home to the Yorkshire drizzle after an excellent few days in Brighton.

First time we've been there, and I don't think it will be the last.

As an aside, since when has rocking up for a hotel breakfast in your pajamas been acceptable?
  • Can you remember Jewish Voice for Labour? The group that supported Corbyn, and whose support meant (according to some) that there was no way Corbyn could be anti-Semitic?

"Many details of what transpired on Oct 7 continue to be shrouded in mystery, including how the 1,400 Israelis who died were killed. A growing number of reports indicate the Israeli military was responsible for civilian and military deaths"

Friendly fire? It's a possibility.
  • AP (via Seattle Times) - Trump compares himself to Mandela and rails against Biden after filing for New Hampshire primary

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Former President Donald Trump compared himself to anti-apartheid activist Nelson Mandela on Monday as he cast himself as the victim of federal and state prosecutors he alleges are targeting him and his businesses for political reasons.

Returning to New Hampshire to register for its presidential primary, Trump held a rally where he railed against President Joe Biden’s response to the Hamas attack on Israel and vowed to build an Iron Dome-style missile defense shield over the U.S.

But he focused much of his dark and at times profane speech on the criminal and civil cases against him, at one point suggesting he would go to prison like the former South African president who spent 27 years in prison for opposing South Africa’s apartheid system and was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize.

“I don’t mind being Nelson Mandela because I’m doing it for a reason,” Trump told am amped-up crowd of supporters at a sports complex in Derry, New Hampshire. ”We’ve got to save our country from these fascists, these lunatics that we’re dealing with. They’re horrible people and they’re destroying our country.”

SSI - DJT having a senior moment, seeing as how fascists are part of HIS base, for example Charlottesville 2017.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited October 2023

Appalling survey. We haven't had a PM this well connected with the lives of people in ages. Doesn't know how contactless payment works. Doesn't know how a pen works. Travels everywhere by helicopter and private plane. Your average normal bloke.

I actually think being well connected with the common people and understanding them is overrated in politicians. I don't have an issue with PMs travelling by helicopter or private plane either, or not being normal - politicians rarely are. None of those things mean you would definitely be good at formulating and fostering good policy, and then putting it into effect, make good decisions and pick good people for a role.

But if you do lack them, since they do have importance for a lot of people, you need to be able to compensate with other strengths, very clear ones. Sunak didn't start out with great figures but he wasn't rated awful across the board, and he had a chance to cement a positive view by getting things done and making some popular choices. It's that he has squandered.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

Good afternoon

It is just over a week since my GP sent me directly to A & E where I spent an uncomfortable overnighter before seeing the A & E doctor who immediately admitted me with a suspected substantial DVT which was confirmed by an ultrasound scan

The hospital team have been wonderful and caring, and I have my own dedicated nurse if required. I understand I am on a six month treatment plan and may need blood thinners indefinitely.

Coupled with some other health issues, and my dear wife catching a really bad dose of covid, notwithstanding our 7th vaccination on the 2nd October these events have had a sobering effect on myself and my family

I simply have lost interest in the day to day arguments in politics and to be honest see no way back for the conservatives who have self destructed and in my opinion handed Sunak the short straw which he has obviously struggled with

I wish Starmer and labour well but they have a extraordinary task, indeed even an impossible task, facing them but the demand for change is overwhelming

I have popped in and out of the forum and enjoyed the vast topics discussed, including how to cook rice, and the more somber Israel war and will continue to do so but maybe not contribute as much as I used to

PB must be cherished by everyone using it as it is an exceptional discussion forum, even though some get over overexcited, and it is a great credit to those responsible for it

I did want to provide an update as I am still here, and fighting against the grim reaper

And as an aside my son and his colleagues feature in a rescue by Llandudno RNLI on Thursday on BBC2 saving lives at sea documentary

My best wishes to all

Don't lose heart, there's plenty of life in the old dog yet, and lots of wonderful reasons to carry on.

Excellent NHS care notwithstanding, I always think Doctors don't really explain things well - I depend on Dr Berg to unravel things for me. Don't know if this will be interesting or pertinent, but here is his video on DVT: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEJQ127Q-TU&pp=ygUcZGVlcCB2ZWluIHRocm9tYm9zaXMgZHIgYmVyZw==
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Off topic, back home to the Yorkshire drizzle after an excellent few days in Brighton.

First time we've been there, and I don't think it will be the last.

As an aside, since when has rocking up for a hotel breakfast in your pajamas been acceptable?

Never!

There are an increasing number of voices raising the alarm over the electoral consequences for the Democrats over Biden's support for Israel.

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/biden-israel-palestine-policy-election/

Biden risks labeling himself as a president who is in favor of colonization, and one who will turn a blind eye to ethnic cleansing and war crimes—and those are tough labels to shake once they take hold in communities of color.

Elections are rarely won on foreign policy.
    True, but it is also an area of general strength for him over Trump, who likes to praise dictators, so it's not of no note if he drops a bit in that area.
  • NYT live blog

> In previous rounds of voting, the question of “Will you support the nominee on the floor?” was done by secret ballot. Today, the question is being voted on with a roll call voice vote so everyone in the room will know who is opposing Tom Emmer. We are told that vote is finished, and now holdouts are being asked what it will take to earn their support.

SSI - interesting (mis)use of the word "earn".

> Mike Garcia of California tells reporters that 20 members voted against Emmer and that five voted present in the roll. Now holdouts are discussing what they want and any grievances with Emmer.
    Not been many places so instantly appealing and magical as Ortygia. There are almost no cars. It’s basically an ancient Cambridge turned into an island in the Med, endless limestone alleys and piazzas and churches and empty little squares where three people play lilting guitar on the steps of a Greek temple just for themselves

Obligatory drink photo

NYT live blog - Tom Emmer defeated Mike Johnson, 117 votes to 97, according to members in the room.

Didn't work out for Scalise with that level, but maybe they're sick and tired of it by now.

It's not like their policy objectives and Trump fawning will change.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

Get well soon G

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

Should they do the same with slavery? (Obviously not but I am pointing out the flaw in that thinking)
    No strong views on that, and no idea if slavery is specifically outlawed by the USA constitution. In the UK it is a matter for voters and legislators, as is the legalisation of torturing children for fun (currently, happily illegal).

Abortion both in principle and in detail is a profoundly contested matter among serious people; slavery isn't. As in the UK it should be a matter for voters and legislators.
    algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

They are very creative when they want to be.

I cannot help but wonder if they would somehow justify a nationwide abortion ban (or heavy restriction) if one were passed, even as they tossed out a nationwide abortion policy before.
    @Big_G_NorthWales

Courage, my friend. Courage
  • Can you remember Jewish Voice for Labour? The group that supported Corbyn, and whose support meant (according to some) that there was no way Corbyn could be anti-Semitic?

Pull the other one; it is a grotesque tweet by people who are keen to blame Israel for everything, and excuse the Palestinians of everything.

And even if lots of deaths were due to 'friendly fire', they're still the fault of the attackers, aren't they?

It's a really shit argument to make.
    Did you not read the linked report?

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

Voters largely support abortion being legal. Republicans have tried their usual bag of dirty tricks to prevent voters having a say. For example, Ohio allows constitutional amendments on a vote, so Republicans have proposed a 60% supermajority being required in future, explicitly to stop a pro-abortion amendment. More examples at https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/some-republican-officials-are-trying-to-keep-abortion-off-of-state-ballots-heres-how
    Such tactics are as indefensible as SCOTUS removing the issue from voters altogether.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

Don't lose heart, there's plenty of life in the old dog yet, and lots of wonderful reasons to carry on.

Excellent NHS care notwithstanding, I always think Doctors don't really explain things well - I depend on Dr Berg to unravel things for me. Don't know if this will be interesting or pertinent, but here is his video on DVT: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEJQ127Q-TU&pp=ygUcZGVlcCB2ZWluIHRocm9tYm9zaXMgZHIgYmVyZw==
    Dr Berg is a chiropractor not a medical doctor
    The Remain campaign was useless

They should have gone straight for the visceral emotional appeal

A sequence of soaring, sublime shots of places like Ortygia, and Venice and Barcelona and the Dolomites and the Matterhorn, and the Hebrides - and magnificent cathedrals like Durham and Milan and Seville and Chartres and York - and cosy English pubs and delightful Parisian bistros and beer halls in Bavaria and tavernas under the plane tree in the Zagoriou mountains - with a sonorous voice over saying THIS, THIS IS YOUR HOME, EUROPE IS YOUR HOME, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AND CIVILISED PLACE ON EARTH - why wouid you leave such a home?? Stay and defend it! Celebrate it! You are the luckiest person in the world: a EUROPEAN

That would have won by a canter
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

No strong views on that, and no idea if slavery is specifically outlawed by the USA constitution. In the UK it is a matter for voters and legislators, as is the legalisation of torturing children for fun (currently, happily illegal).

Abortion both in principle and in detail is a profoundly contested matter among serious people; slavery isn't. As in the UK it should be a matter for voters and legislators.
    13th Amendment
  • Britons ditch working from home to cut heating bills
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/britons-ditch-working-from-home-to-cut-heating-bills-523l0rplk (£££)

I used to go into the office on particularly hot days to enjoy the company's air conditioning.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

A sequence of soaring, sublime shots of places like Ortygia, and Venice and Barcelona and the Dolomites and the Matterhorn, and the Hebrides - and magnificent cathedrals like Durham and Milan and Seville and Chartres and York - and cosy English pubs and delightful Parisian bistros and beer halls in Bavaria and tavernas under the plane tree in the Zagoriou mountains - with a sonorous voice over saying THIS, THIS IS YOUR HOME, EUROPE IS YOUR HOME, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AND CIVILISED PLACE ON EARTH - why wouid you leave such a home?? Stay and defend it! Celebrate it! You are the luckiest person in the world: a EUROPEAN

The remain campaign was: They're right: Europe is terrible but Britain is too wee, too poor, too stupid. Nothing positive about the EU.
  • With respect to the current Rabid Flying Squirrel Circus under the Big Top in DC, courtesy of today's GOP (Grifters On Parade), reckon that it is gonna go at least a few more performances.

Why?

> history - took 20-something votes back in 1920s and record 133 in 1857, under somewhat similar circumstances (in late 1850s they resorted to electing Speaker by plurality rather than majority vote to break the logjam).

> Democrats in US House, Senate AND White House in no hurry for House GOP to get their crap crap together; any legislating they'd do is likely suboptimal, and Biden & Senate can go ahead setting the agenda and the pace, for example the Senate can continue confirming more federal judges appointed by Biden.

> As semi-sentient GOPers are aware, the US public is mostly blaming THEM for the fine mess they've gotten themselves into, seeming with zero regard for any national interest that can't be expressed on a MAGA-maniac T-shirt.

> Getting down to small change, note that the Virginia legislature is up for grabs this off-year election; and it is just possible, that the current GOP federal shit-show will NOT benefit state Republican candidates in the Old Dominion come November.

> Speaking of Republicans, plenty current House members have strong incentives to NOT facilitate a speedy resolution to their partisan crisis; for example Matt Gaetz (R-Oooooozing) who is positioning himself to kick Ron DeSantis (R-Busted Flush) out of the Governor's Mansion in Tallahassee in 2026.
  • US Speaker election:

Emmer was 26 votes short of the magic number (217) on a roll call vote in the Republican caucus. It's not over.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    edited October 2023
    Sunak is not a terrible PM.

He's done well on foreign affairs. He's fiscally responsible and not promising a pre election giveaway. What disastrous things has he done that will hamstring his successors?

Is it the normalisation of Brexit?
  • NYT live blog - Who is Tom Emmer, the latest Republican nominee for speaker?

Mr. Emmer, 62, has served since January as the party’s whip, responsible for counting and securing the votes to pass the speaker’s agenda. He was the highest-ranking Republican in the race, and has been endorsed by the ousted Speaker Kevin McCarthy. . . .

A mainstream conservative who voted to certify President Biden’s 2020 victory and supported a stopgap spending bill last month to avert a shutdown, Mr. Emmer has pitched himself as a unity candidate. Several hard-right conservatives, including a handful who voted to oust Mr. McCarthy, have signaled their support for the Minnesota Republican.

But he could still face trouble securing a majority of votes on the House floor, where just a small clutch of defectors could doom his election. Republicans emerging from the closed-door meeting on Tuesday said that an internal roll call vote showed that as many as 25 lawmakers said they would not support Mr. Emmer.

Representative Rick Allen of Texas told CNN that he could not support Mr. Emmer because of his vote in 2022 in support of a bill codifying federal protections for same-sex couples.

And some hard-right Trump supporters outside Congress have sought to block Mr. Emmer from winning the speaker’s gavel, claiming he has been insufficiently supportive of former President Donald J. Trump . . . .
  • With respect to the current Rabid Flying Squirrel Circus under the Big Top in DC, courtesy of today's GOP (Grifters On Parade), reckon that it is gonna go at least a few more performances.

Why?

> history - took 20-something votes back in 1920s and record 133 in 1857, under somewhat similar circumstances (in late 1850s they resorted to electing Speaker by plurality rather than majority vote to break the logjam).

> Democrats in US House, Senate AND White House in no hurry for House GOP to get their crap crap together; any legislating they'd do is likely suboptimal, and Biden & Senate can go ahead setting the agenda and the pace, for example the Senate can continue confirming more federal judges appointed by Biden.

> As semi-sentient GOPers are aware, the US public is mostly blaming THEM for the fine mess they've gotten themselves into, seeming with zero regard for any national interest that can't be expressed on a MAGA-maniac T-shirt.

> Getting down to small change, note that the Virginia legislature is up for grabs this off-year election; and it is just possible, that the current GOP federal shit-show will NOT benefit state Republican candidates in the Old Dominion come November.

> Speaking of Republicans, plenty current House members have strong incentives to NOT facilitate a speedy resolution to their partisan crisis; for example Matt Gaetz (R-Oooooozing) who is positioning himself to kick Ron DeSantis (R-Busted Flush) out of the Governor's Mansion in Tallahassee in 2026.

I saw today that although Republicans are getting more blame than Democrats for the House situation, very few voters are really aware of what's happening. I'm presuming Virginia voters would be rather more aware than most?
    edited October 2023

NYT live blog - Who is Tom Emmer, the latest Republican nominee for speaker?

Mr. Emmer, 62, has served since January as the party’s whip, responsible for counting and securing the votes to pass the speaker’s agenda. He was the highest-ranking Republican in the race, and has been endorsed by the ousted Speaker Kevin McCarthy. . . .

A mainstream conservative who voted to certify President Biden’s 2020 victory and supported a stopgap spending bill last month to avert a shutdown, Mr. Emmer has pitched himself as a unity candidate. Several hard-right conservatives, including a handful who voted to oust Mr. McCarthy, have signaled their support for the Minnesota Republican.

But he could still face trouble securing a majority of votes on the House floor, where just a small clutch of defectors could doom his election. Republicans emerging from the closed-door meeting on Tuesday said that an internal roll call vote showed that as many as 25 lawmakers said they would not support Mr. Emmer.

Representative Rick Allen of Texas told CNN that he could not support Mr. Emmer because of his vote in 2022 in support of a bill codifying federal protections for same-sex couples.

And some hard-right Trump supporters outside Congress have sought to block Mr. Emmer from winning the speaker’s gavel, claiming he has been insufficiently supportive of former President Donald J. Trump . . . .

He has puckered up and kissed the nether ring, though.

Thank you, Mr. President.

If my colleagues elect me Speaker of the House, I look forward to continuing our strong working relationship.

https://twitter.com/GOPMajorityWhip/status/1716536001819017487
  • Sunak is not a terrible PM.

Can I have some of what you're smoking? :lol:

Why?

I saw today that although Republicans are getting more blame than Democrats for the House situation, very few voters are really aware of what's happening. I'm presuming Virginia voters would be rather more aware than most?
    Would argue with "very few" think that's fond GOPer hope.

As for Virginia voters, they are quasi-unique nationally (along with NJ) in having a BIG statewide election, in VA for state legislature. In environment where both Rs and Ds have been working overtime to federalize state elections.

PLUS fact that (as you allude) northern VA is cheek-by-jowl with Our Nation's Capital including MANY voters directly or strongly-indirectly impacted by federal government AND any shutdown(s) thereof.
  • NYT live blog - Troy Nehls of Texas, who has been pushing Trump for speaker, tells reporters he voted “present” in the roll-call vote when it became clear that Tom Emmer had well short of 217 votes.

“We are, again, back to where we started,” Nehls said. “This is where we’re at. We threw our all-stars out.”
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited October 2023

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

Ah. Just as well you spotted that. For BigG's benefit, it's in the '...more' bit on the Youtube page, more specifically this bit when you scroll down:

'Disclaimer:
    Dr. Eric Berg received his Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1988. His use of “doctor” or “Dr.” in relation to himself solely refers to that degree. Dr. Berg is a licensed chiropractor in Virginia, California, and Louisiana, but he no longer practices chiropractic in any state and does not see patients so he can focus on educating people as a full time activity, yet he maintains an active license. This video is for general informational purposes only. It should not be used to self-diagnose and it is not a substitute for a medical exam, cure, treatment, diagnosis, and prescription or recommendation. It does not create a doctor-patient relationship between Dr. Berg and you. You should not make any change in your health regimen or diet before first consulting a physician and obtaining a medical exam, diagnosis, and recommendation. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.'

Leon said:

The remain campaign was: They're right: Europe is terrible but Britain is too wee, too poor, too stupid. Nothing positive about the EU.
    It was a dreadful campaign. So negative and dismal

It should have been self confident and even exuberant, as I say

But they were hamstrung by the fact they’d spent 40 years conveniently blaming everything bad on the EU without ever actually offering us a choice on it via a referendum on Lisbon or Maastricht etc

They presumably felt they couldn’t suddenly turn around and say Yeah actually the EU is great

Twats. The europhiles destroyed themselves with four decades of corrosive hypocrisy

He's done well on foreign affairs. He's fiscally responsible and not promising a pre election giveaway. What disastrous things has he done that will hamstring his successors?

More the random policy changes, particularly on "levelling up", poor quality cabinet and general ineptitude.

The voters see all this and don't want it to go on.

I remember the days when party members were not expected to be completely loyal to and in praise of people who are not even yet technically the presidential nominee (though that is only a matter of time).
    Carnyx said:

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

Ah. Just as well you spotted that. For BigG's benefit, it's in the '...more' bit on the Youtube page, more specifically this bit when you scroll down:

'Disclaimer:
    Dr. Eric Berg received his Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1988. His use of “doctor” or “Dr.” in relation to himself solely refers to that degree. Dr. Berg is a licensed chiropractor in Virginia, California, and Louisiana, but he no longer practices chiropractic in any state and does not see patients so he can focus on educating people as a full time activity, yet he maintains an active license. This video is for general informational purposes only. It should not be used to self-diagnose and it is not a substitute for a medical exam, cure, treatment, diagnosis, and prescription or recommendation. It does not create a doctor-patient relationship between Dr. Berg and you. You should not make any change in your health regimen or diet before first consulting a physician and obtaining a medical exam, diagnosis, and recommendation. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.'
    You could earn money by betting that any YT doctor is a quack :D particularly any YT doctor recommended by anyone with right-wing views as they tend to select the anti-vaxxers and alternative "medicine" brigade.

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

13th Amendment
    Which excludes slavery as a form of penal servitude. Hence the chain gangs etc.
  • Carnyx said:

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

'Disclaimer:

Thank you for that, but I have full confidence in the team of doctors and specialists nurses who came to my aid and are providing on going care and advice

Ironically my son in law, who flew a lot on business, had a dvt 2 years ago and was under the same dedicated nurse

And thank you to everyone who has been so kind in their concern
  • Foxy said:

More the random policy changes, particularly on "levelling up", poor quality cabinet and general ineptitude.

Section 21 a typical example. Manages to piss off both sides of the debate with broken promises and u-turns. For what?
    kle4 said:

I remember the days when party members were not expected to be completely loyal to and in praise of people who are not even yet technically the presidential nominee (though that is only a matter of time).
    Or indeed with a handful of pending criminal indictments.
    Foxy said:

Quite. It's not a great time for him to come in and try to fix things, but he's not done a great job at doing that in any case, so voters have no incentive to view him generously. He's not delivered, even if he could might claim he could have been worse.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    Foxy said:

Perhaps if enough of us fibbed to the opinion pollsters to give the Tories an imaginary bounce, Rishi Rich will call a snap election and we'll be rid of the buggers by Christmas.

Why?

Would argue with "very few" think that's fond GOPer hope.

As for Virginia voters, they are quasi-unique nationally (along with NJ) in having a BIG statewide election, in VA for state legislature. In environment where both Rs and Ds have been working overtime to federalize state elections.

PLUS fact that (as you allude) northern VA is cheek-by-jowl with Our Nation's Capital including MANY voters directly or strongly-indirectly impacted by federal government AND any shutdown(s) thereof.
    Yougov had it that only 17% are following the House mess: https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2023/Pres/Maps/Oct23.html. That's only 1 in 6
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

But they were hamstrung by the fact they’d spent 40 years conveniently blaming everything bad on the EU without ever actually offering us a choice on it via a referendum on Lisbon or Maastricht etc

They presumably felt they couldn’t suddenly turn around and say Yeah actually the EU is great

Twats. The europhiles destroyed themselves with four decades of corrosive hypocrisy
    The British people who love the EU the most would be appalled by the suggestion that Europeans are more civilised than the rest of the world.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    Best wishes to @Big_G_NorthWales.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Foxy said:

Who are these wise voters you speak of? Normally voters don't have a clue, but these three areas that you mention are sort of long standing wet blanket disappointments. Interesting.
    Leon said:

Britain is sliding down into slum-hood, but that is what was voted for. Hells bells @Leon you voted for it.

It is up to you to ensure that Britain's decline into a footnote is a success and I have every confidence in you and all Leavers that you will accomplish your goal.

Well done :+1:

Kind regards

An EU citizen
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Simpler than that. Cameron and Osborne were true believers in negative campaigning. It had got them to Downing Street and beat off the SNP. They, and their Fleet Street cheerleaders, did not notice their campaigning had converted a clear lead over Labour into a hung parliament, and a clear lead over Yes to a narrow win over Scottish independence.

Can you remember Jewish Voice for Labour? The group that supported Corbyn, and whose support meant (according to some) that there was no way Corbyn could be anti-Semitic?

Pull the other one; it is a grotesque tweet by people who are keen to blame Israel for everything, and excuse the Palestinians of everything.

And even if lots of deaths were due to 'friendly fire', they're still the fault of the attackers, aren't they?

I skimmed it, and it's... interesting - but I fear not in the way you thibk.

Firstly, I have zero doubt there would have been some friendly fire incidents. It would have been impossible not for there not to have been in such a chaotic situation. Is that person who has got that gun a civilian who is protecting himself, or a Gazan dressed as an Israeli? Or just bad luck whilst shooting.

Secondly, note the subheading. " A growing number of reports indicate the Israeli military was responsible for civilian and military deaths." They do not say 'all', or 'fully'; but neither do they say 'some'. They have left that deliberately vague.

Thirdly, it is by an 'anonymous contributor', with the editor adding: "The author of this article requested that their name not be published, fearing for their personal safety due to the intensification of fascist persecutions against critical voices in Israel." Note the word 'fascist', which I fear sets the tone and intentions of the piece clear.

Fourthly, it produces relatively little 'evidence' for the claim; let alone the emphasis they put on it.

In short: it's a piece written to try to make people think that Israel caused the deaths of Israelis, and therefore those lovely cuddly people of Hamas are shorn of some of the blame. It's a typical piece of agitprop.

If I wrote a piece: "A growing number of reports indicate Hamas was responsible for civilian deaths in Gaza," how would you react?

Leon said:

Leon said:

The British people who love the EU the most would be appalled by the suggestion that Europeans are more civilised than the rest of the world.
    Now that IS an interesting one.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/17/the-eurocentric-fallacy-the-myths-that-underpin-european-identity
  • Surprised the usual suspects didn't post this showing Biden's Trump's mental decline.

Trump: I was very honored, there’s a man, Viktor Orbán. He’s the leader of Turkey

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1716539683990114683

Orban does actualy participate in the organisation of Turkic states.

Hungary only participates as an Observer State.

Just like India is an Observer State of the Arab league.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

Rather like Dr Hook, who is not a medically qualified practitioner.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Maybe an event. Or maybe that thing whereby something absurd (in this case Donald Trump back in the White House) finally starts to look absurd to a critical mass of people and then, kaboom, things change quite quickly. It can appear sudden even though it's been building for a while. I have a couple of mental images: emperor's new clothes, and the cartoon character who runs off a cliff and for a while stays in mid air, legs pumping, defying gravity before he succumbs to reality and falls. That's Trump for me, one of those.
    There are lots of examples of unstable equilibriums, where things move quite quickly. If (a) a non-Trump figure were to emerge as the clear challenger, at the same time as (b) serious doubts being thrown onto Mr Trump's electability in the General, then yes, I could see someone else becoming the Republican nominee.

Right now, however, neither of those has happened.
  • Taz said:

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

Ditto Dr Pepper.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐚 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐫 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐁𝐨𝐥𝐭𝐨𝐧

Dear All,

I have Just resigned from the Labour Party.

This is what I said to them:

I don't want to be in a party where the leader of the party, Keir Starmer is a Zionist who hates Muslims and openly supports Israeli genocide against Palestinians. He allowed a Shadow Minister to attend and speak at a pro Israel rally but all MPs, Elected Members and ordinary members were banned from attending pro Palastinian rallies.
    As a Muslim I will never again vote Labour and I will do my very best to encourage other Muslims not to vote Labour or Conservative either.

I have been a lifelong Labour supporter and a Trade unionist and a former Branch Secretary. The time has now come where Muslim voters up and down the country need to find alternative solutions to just blindly voting Labour just because it was the thing to do. I hope and pray that all those gutless Muslim MPs up and down the country who chose not to resign lose their seats in the upcoming General Election.

I would also like a pro rata refund of my membership fee please.

Thank you for the opportunity to make my feelings clear on the very important matter of the freedom of Palestine. Its quite clear to me that Mr Starmer and Mr Sunak are two sides of the same coin when it comes to murdering Palestinians in the guise of Israel having the right to defend itself yet Palestinians have not had any rights for the past 75 years.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    edited October 2023

Firstly, I have zero doubt there would have been some friendly fire incidents. It would have been impossible not for there not to have been in such a chaotic situation. Is that person who has got that gun a civilian who is protecting himself, or a Gazan dressed as an Israeli? Or just bad luck whilst shooting.

Secondly, note the subheading. " A growing number of reports indicate the Israeli military was responsible for civilian and military deaths." They do not say 'all', or 'fully'; but neither do they say 'some'. They have left that deliberately vague.

Thirdly, it is by an 'anonymous contributor', with the editor adding: "The author of this article requested that their name not be published, fearing for their personal safety due to the intensification of fascist persecutions against critical voices in Israel." Note the word 'fascist', which I fear sets the tone and intentions of the piece clear.

Fourthly, it produces relatively little 'evidence' for the claim; let alone the emphasis they put on it.

In short: it's a piece written to try to make people think that Israel caused the deaths of Israelis, and therefore those lovely cuddly people of Hamas are shorn of some of the blame. It's a typical piece of agitprop.

If I wrote a piece: "A growing number of reports indicate Hamas was responsible for civilian deaths in Gaza," how would you react?
    You have and they are, not just with the hospital incident but also in starting this ludicrous, cruel and unwinnable war.

Well, they have.
    Who has what?
    Something needs to be done about the fear and abandonment that many British Jews are feeling right now. As a start we at least have the October Declaration, a statement signed by 37,000 people in support of British Jews. When I saw it yesterday I'll admit I was a little bit reluctant to get involved when I saw who the signatories were and who organised it. It does lean very heavily to the right. But it's a statement that the vast majority of people in this country ought to be able to agree with. So I thought stuff it. We need to get the ball rolling.

You can add your name here:

https://britishfriendsofisrael.org/

Taz said:

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

Ditto Dr Pepper.
    So misunderstood
  • rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

There are lots of examples of unstable equilibriums, where things move quite quickly. If (a) a non-Trump figure were to emerge as the clear challenger, at the same time as (b) serious doubts being thrown onto Mr Trump's electability in the General, then yes, I could see someone else becoming the Republican nominee.

I would suggest that Trumps tactics make (a) stable. As soon as anyone gets above 10% he calls them a rino and their popularity plateaus or dips encouraging those on 5% to keep carrying on.

Well, they have.
    Who has what?
    Changed in edit.

Leon said:

Britain is sliding down into slum-hood, but that is what was voted for. Hells bells @Leon you voted for it.

It is up to you to ensure that Britain's decline into a footnote is a success and I have every confidence in you and all Leavers that you will accomplish your goal.

Kind regards

An EU citizen
    The whole of Europe is in decline and sliding into slum hood. Sicily shows it

My Remain campaign would have been a clarion call to true Europeans to save our beautiful continent and our beautiful civilisation, from Edinburgh to Athens, from Lisbon to Lviv, from the barbarian hordes that surround it on all sides, and threaten to overwhelm it as we speak

it might have alienated idiots like you, but you’d still have voted for it anyway, so who gives a fuck
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Though Dave and Jez were hardly Europhiles.

Cameron's message boiled down to "Europe is a bit rubbish, which is why I had to save you from the worst of it."

Given that he spent time doing PR for Carlton TV, you would have thought that he understood the difficulty of selling a mediocre product
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

Sorry to hear that Big G.

Hope you and the wife make a full recovery.

Get well and come back on PB when you feel well enough.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,661

Something needs to be done about the fear and abandonment that many British Jews are feeling right now. As a start we at least have the October Declaration, a statement signed by 37,000 people in support of British Jews. When I saw it yesterday I'll admit I was a little bit reluctant to get involved when I saw who the signatories were and who organised it. It does lean very heavily to the right. But it's a statement that the vast majority of people in this country ought to be able to agree with. So I thought stuff it. We need to get the ball rolling.

You can add your name here:

https://britishfriendsofisrael.org/

Thanks. If anyone requires encouragement here is an extract from an article in The Atlantic, a long-established, liberal and very respected US journal. One of their journalists had the misfortune to attend the IDF briefing.

"The videos show pure, predatory sadism; no effort to spare those who pose no threat; and an eagerness to kill nearly matched by eagerness to disfigure the bodies of the victims. In several clips, the Hamas killers fire shots into the heads of people who are already dead. They count corpses, taking their time, and then shoot them again. Some of the clips I had not previously seen simply show the victims in a state of terror as they wait to be murdered, or covered with bits of their friends and loved ones as they are loaded into trucks and brought to Gaza as hostages. There was no footage of rape, although there was footage of young women huddling in fear and then being executed in a leisurely manner."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/10/why-israeli-officials-screened-footage-hamas-attack/675735/

𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐚 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐫 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐁𝐨𝐥𝐭𝐨𝐧

Dear All,

I have Just resigned from the Labour Party.

This is what I said to them:

I don't want to be in a party where the leader of the party, Keir Starmer is a Zionist who hates Muslims and openly supports Israeli genocide against Palestinians. He allowed a Shadow Minister to attend and speak at a pro Israel rally but all MPs, Elected Members and ordinary members were banned from attending pro Palastinian rallies.
    As a Muslim I will never again vote Labour and I will do my very best to encourage other Muslims not to vote Labour or Conservative either.

I have been a lifelong Labour supporter and a Trade unionist and a former Branch Secretary. The time has now come where Muslim voters up and down the country need to find alternative solutions to just blindly voting Labour just because it was the thing to do. I hope and pray that all those gutless Muslim MPs up and down the country who chose not to resign lose their seats in the upcoming General Election.

I would also like a pro rata refund of my membership fee please.

Thank you for the opportunity to make my feelings clear on the very important matter of the freedom of Palestine. Its quite clear to me that Mr Starmer and Mr Sunak are two sides of the same coin when it comes to murdering Palestinians in the guise of Israel having the right to defend itself yet Palestinians have not had any rights for the past 75 years.

There must be a reasonable amount of seats where the Muslim vote could be critical for labour if there is a drift away from them due to their pro Israeli stance. 20 or 30.
    edited October 2023

Good afternoon

My best wishes to all

Sorry to hear that Big G.

Hope you and the wife make a full recovery.

Get well and come back on PB when you feel well enough.
    I echo that. Get well soon Big G and our warmest wishes to your wife too.

Kick the grim reapers butt.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Kind regards

An EU citizen

My Remain campaign would have been a clarion call to true Europeans to save our beautiful continent and our beautiful civilisation, from Edinburgh to Athens, from Lisbon to Lviv, from the barbarian hordes that surround it on all sides, and threaten to overwhelm it as we speak

it might have alienated idiots like you, but you’d still have voted for it anyway, so who gives a fuck
    You've found a bar, then ?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

I would suggest that Trumps tactics make (a) stable. As soon as anyone gets above 10% he calls them a rino and their popularity plateaus or dips encouraging those on 5% to keep carrying on.
    While he does do that, he is not all powerful. Other people have agency, and it is far from impossible that Ms Haley - for example - manages to separate herself from the pack.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

Leon said:

Leon said:

They might be appalled to hear it said out loud, but it captures their sentiments exactly.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,661

Leon said:

Leon said:

Simpler than that. Cameron and Osborne were true believers in negative campaigning. It had got them to Downing Street and beat off the SNP. They, and their Fleet Street cheerleaders, did not notice their campaigning had converted a clear lead over Labour into a hung parliament, and a clear lead over Yes to a narrow win over Scottish independence.
    Good point. The fact is Salmond should never have got the Yes vote up to 45%. Referendums are terrible ideas, and generally just provide the voters with an opportunity to express dissatisfaction with their lots and give the establishment a boot. The actual issue at stake is all too often lost in all the fevered expostulating. Demagogues just love referendums.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Kind regards

An EU citizen

You've found a bar, then ?
    Also a bloody excellent Ragu
This discussion has been closed.