Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Xi Whizz, where did my century go? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited October 2023 in General
imageXi Whizz, where did my century go? – politicalbetting.com

According to the long list of “inevitable” events this is meant to be China`s century, a century when it overtakes the West and becomes the world’s hegemon. However, as we approach the first quarter things appear to be going seriously off the narrative. No longer is China the world’s most populous state, as we look forward its population is about to fall off a demographic cliff. The current 1.4 billion Chinese will decline to about half that by the end of the century on the base case and the pessimistic case sees less than that. And that’s not 700 million sprightly twenty-year-olds but a large grey-haired population which will need the young one to look after them and pay for them. There is no quick fix to the demographics. The impact of the one child policy has reduced the population of childbearing age, one child is now a social norm and the economic pressure on young couples means large families are unaffordable.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    He does look like Winnie the Pooh, doesn't he?

Excellent header @Alanbrooke although I would ask how you see India's demography going especially with the possible issues over major water shortages.
  • Options
    First off-topic!

The secret files that expose a multibillion-pound cover-up at HS2
    As the cost began to spiral, bosses allegedly shredded documents, sacked whistleblowers and used misleading projections to keep the scheme alive and the cash coming. The result was a ‘fraud against the British people’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hs2-billion-pound-coverup-cost-files-investigation-skzv2nxwj
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Certainly India will likely have overtaken China on population by 2050. India also has higher economic growth than China so also may have overtaken China on gdp by then too, even if China stays ahead on gdp per capita
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,306
    The danger arises: what might Xi do now, aware that China may be reaching a peak in its relative power?

A Chinese attempt to seize Taiwan by force by the decade's end is all too possible.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

First off-topic!

As the cost began to spiral, bosses allegedly shredded documents, sacked whistleblowers and used misleading projections to keep the scheme alive and the cash coming. The result was a ‘fraud against the British people’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hs2-billion-pound-coverup-cost-files-investigation-skzv2nxwj

The Times puts out stories that support its long-standing editorial position that HS2 should not go ahead?

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.
  • Options

First off-topic!

Lessons have been learnt.
  • Options
    My thanks to Alanbrooke for his work.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,993
    HYUFD said:

Certainly India will likely have overtaken China on population by 2050. India also has higher economic growth than China so also may have overtaken China on gdp by then too, even if China stays ahead on gdp per capita

I would be happier if India, a country with history of democracy, is the world leader in the future, rather than China, a country without a history of democracy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

First off-topic!

The Times puts out stories that support its long-standing editorial position that HS2 should not go ahead?

Shooting the messenger already?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,302
    Even when Italy is grimy and poor - and Catania is certainly that - it still manages to be, well, ITALY

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593
    edited October 2023
    This is a timely (!) header - albeit an issue that is well known.

I think you may even underestimate the sudden demographic change - the long run births per annum number in China is around 16 million per annum, and is down from a recent peak of 18 million in 2016 to 9.5 million in 2022.

Pro-rata the UK has a third more births per million population.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

According to the UN, India overtook China in population in April 2023.

https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/publication/un-desa-policy-brief-no-153-india-overtakes-china-as-the-worlds-most-populous-country/

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,993
    A few reasons why Sunak may wait until January 2025.
    To hope for a black swan.
    To hope that Storm Rishi causes weather related havoc in Scotland, the North of England and Wales, preventing electors getting to the polling stations (Tories having already voted by post).
    Less political news in the media, due to Christmas.
    Few, if any, small boats in January. Look - 90% fewer boats than six months ago!
    If Trump looks like winning, play on fear that Labour will be scared to stand up to him.

Would he go in early to mid January before post Christmas credit card bills arrive?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    India already has a larger population than China doesn't it? Or there about equal such that we can measure it.

I honestly don't think we will see another hegemonic power like the United States was after 1945 or certainly between 1990-2010. It was a highly advanced economy when most of the world wasn't and crucially most of the other highly advanced economies were US allies under essentially US global leadership. I doubt that will be repeated and if China thinks it can be replicated they may be in for a rude awakening.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Even when Italy is grimy and poor - and Catania is certainly that - it still manages to be, well, ITALY

Same with Peterborough. Massive cathedral. One and a half buried queens (Mary Queen of Scots has since been moved). Waterside bars and restaurants. Yet boarded up shops and no money.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

HYUFD said:

I would be happier if India, a country with history of democracy, is the world leader in the future, rather than China, a country without a history of democracy.
    Increasingly under PM Modi Democracy in India is indeed history.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    I remember when we had books which said things like "Japan as number 1". Then we had the China mania and we seem close to that bubble bursting too. It does remind me of those who looked at charts reflecting exponential growth during Covid which turned out to be wildly pessimistic. Trends on graphs are only correct until the trend changes.

In the next few years a major problem with China is going to be the accumulation of debt in the residential property sector. So much of the country's wealth and, in particular, so much of their secured debt is tied to property. The Everglade crisis is indicative of this but it is very much not alone.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under-occupied_developments_in_China#:~:text=List of cities 1 Dantu - has been,empty" for least a decade. [19] More items
  • Options

A few reasons why Sunak may wait until January 2025.
    To hope for a black swan.
    To hope that Storm Rishi causes weather related havoc in Scotland, the North of England and Wales, preventing electors getting to the polling stations (Tories having already voted by post).
    Less political news in the media, due to Christmas.
    Few, if any, small boats in January. Look - 90% fewer boats than six months ago!
    If Trump looks like winning, play on fear that Labour will be scared to stand up to him.

Would he go in early to mid January before post Christmas credit card bills arrive?

Another good reason is that it would win some money for me.

Good header @Alanbrooke
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Increasingly under PM Modi Democracy in India is indeed history.
    Is it? He hasn't banned opposition parties, every Indian has a vote.

India is still more of a democracy than most of Asia
  • Options

The danger arises: what might Xi do now, aware that China may be reaching a peak in its relative power?

A Chinese attempt to seize Taiwan by force by the decade's end is all too possible.

Indeed but Taiwan won't give in without a fight either
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Heat pump anecdata.

I've been playing for about 18 months with a portable heat pump running off solar to cool the hosue in the summer, and reduce gas consumption in winter by heating it a little when we have sun (chilled air exhaust through a mini window to the conservatory with the door open).

This morning it's given me a raise of 5C in the kitchen-diner purely off solar power.

So it may be time to drill a hole in the wall and plumb it in permanently.
  • Options

Leon said:

Same with Peterborough. Massive cathedral. One and a half buried queens (Mary Queen of Scots has since been moved). Waterside bars and restaurants. Yet boarded up shops and no money.
    Catania may be banjaxed but it absolutely SEETHES with energy in the centre

It is perhaps the most “authentically Italian” city I have ever seen. Even more than Naples. Basically zero tourists

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    I too have been accused of anti-semitism on here.
    Absolute drivel.

Meanwhile I have a friend who went on yesterday’s march and who suggested I may have a blind spot towards “Israel’s genocide”.

Almost everyone has gone mad.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

First off-topic!

I think that's fair comment.

The Times SUNDAY SCOOP !!! is not the most reliable news source available.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451
    ydoethur said:

First off-topic!

That being said, the story that massive effort was devoted to covering up the serial fuckups is merely…. Expected. Probably more effort than was devoted to getting the project back on track.

• Options
    MattW said:

Off-topic:

Heat pump anecdata.

I've been playing for about 18 months with a portable heat pump running off solar to cool the hosue in the summer, and reduce gas consumption in winter by heating it a little when we have sun (chilled air exhaust through a mini window to the conservatory with the door open).

This morning it's given me a raise of 5C in the kitchen-diner purely off solar power.

So it may be time to drill a hole in the wall and plumb it in permanently.

A/C that runs in reverse when required (AKA air sourced heating) is very good.

I’m installing it in a loft conversion at the moment. Complete with solar to contribute.

You simply dial for a temperature and it heats or cools as required.

Unlike air source water heating it is relatively easy to fit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,698
    edited October 2023
    I visited China in 2005, and in hindsight that looks roughly like the high point of the country from the point of view of freedom and attempting to become more like a Western country. Most people had access to things like the internet and mobile phones at that time, but it was before technology was being used to perform surveillance on the population.
  • Options
    On topic, it is WAY too soon to write China off. Yes it has major demographic problems, but so does much of the world. And the AI revolution may render such questions irrelevant. We won’t need a trillion workers. The problem will be too many idle hands

And on the upside China has a high average IQ, a hard-working and resourceful populace, notably low crime rates, limited racial issues (they out everyone troublesome in camps) and roughly zero guilt about its past - unlike the Woke crippled west. Tables show Chinese universities fast catching up with the west, maybe they will overtake. And their determination to plan and complete infrastructure is formidable - better than the west

It may be that planned autocratic “state capitalist” economies do better in the ultra-hi-tech world of the 21st century than liberal democracies. We just don’t know
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

ydoethur said:

First off-topic!

That being said, the story that massive effort was devoted to covering up the serial fuckups is merely…. Expected. Probably more effort than was devoted to getting the project back on track.

To be fair, I was taught that if you make a mistake, in a business or project, it will require ten equal steps to get you back on track!
  • Options
    I see Sophy Ridge is picking up @Heathener point that the baseline election should not be 2019:

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/1715450649603699060?t=8RyY84TIUX1HLR-Atfz5Ig&s=19
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

I think thats the biggest unkown in the current situation

China knows its at is peak for the next decade or so. What does it do ?

Despite accusations of warmongering as it builds up its army, China hasnt really done much shooting, bar with India in the Himalayas. Its hard to know if thats about to change as with more strength and power attitudes change.

Xi is another septuagenarian and maybe like Vlad he's link of his legacy
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Leon said:

On topic, it is WAY too soon to write China off. Yes it has major demographic problems, but so does much of the world. And the AI revolution may render such questions irrelevant. We won’t need a trillion workers. The problem will be too many idle hands

And on the upside China has a high average IQ, a hard-working and resourceful populace, notably low crime rates, limited racial issues (they out everyone troublesome in camps) and roughly zero guilt about its past - unlike the Woke crippled west. Tables show Chinese universities fast catching up with the west, maybe they will overtake. And their determination to plan and complete infrastructure is formidable - better than the west

It may be that planned autocratic “state capitalist” economies do better in the ultra-hi-tech world of the 21st century than liberal democracies. We just don’t know

✔️ AI
    ✔️ Woke
    ✔️ IQ
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

✔️ AI
    ✔️ Woke
    ✔️ IQ
    So we’re all playing Leon word bingo now?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't think anyone is writing them off, I certainly am not. But the visions of China growing to the extent it had the same sort of dominance that the US had post war are illusionary. China will remain a very large, very important country with a substantial population and a lot of international influence, probably more than it has right now. The reason that I focused on property is that there is a serious risk that a significant part of its middle class will struggle with the costs of investments in property bought which are illiquid and all too often liabilities rather than assets. Its hard to imagine that that will increase the stability of the country.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    Just missing a photo of some unsuspecting local woman.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It is perhaps the most “authentically Italian” city I have ever seen. Even more than Naples. Basically zero tourists

Are you overestimating its poverty ?

Catania is the first economic and industrial hub of Sicily. The city is famous for its mainly petrochemical industry, and the extraction of sulphur. In the year 2000, according to Census, Catania was the 14th richest city in Italy, with a GDP of US$6.6 billion (€6.304 billion), which was 0.54% of the Italian GDP, a GDP per capita of US$21,000 (€20,100) and an average GDP per employee of US$69,000 (€66,100).[75]

Today, Catania, despite several problems, has one of the most dynamic economies in the whole of Southern Italy. It still has a strong industrial and agricultural sector, and a fast-growing tourist industry, with many international visitors coming to visit the city's main sights and the nearby Etna volcano. It contains the headquarters or important offices of companies such as STMicroelectronics, and also several chemical and pharmaceutical businesses. There have been several new business developments to further boost Catania's economy, including the construction of Etnapolis,[76] a big shopping mall designed by Massimiliano Fuksas, the same architect who designed the FieraMilano industrial fair in Milan, or the Etna Valley,[77] where several high-tech offices are located.

Tourism is a fast-growing industry in Catania. Lately, the administration and private companies have made several investments in the hospitality industry in order to make tourism a competitive sector in the Metropolitan City. Etnaland, a large amusement and water park located in Belpasso, is in the metropolitan area of Catania, 12 kilometers (7 miles) from the city center. It is the largest of its kind in Southern Italy and attracts thousands of tourists, not only from Sicily, but also from the rest of Italy. According to Tripadvisor (2018) it is the third-largest water park in Europe.[78]

The seaport of Catania is linked to the road-rail distribution hub of Bologna. In September 2020 Mercitalia Logistics opened the first full railway route to link the city to Northern Italy. It replaced an older mixed maritime-railway line.[79]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catania

Wandering round the city centre rarely gives a full sense of a place.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

✔️ AI
    ✔️ Woke
    ✔️ IQ
    A missed opportunity there

///ai.woke.iq

Tsk
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I see Sophy Ridge is picking up @Heathener point that the baseline election should not be 2019:

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/1715450649603699060?t=8RyY84TIUX1HLR-Atfz5Ig&s=19

Sophy Ridge is very good - one of the best - but I don’t know why she feels the need to develop psephological theories.

Interviews should stick to interviewing politicians not creating their own political hypotheses.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293

Leon said:

Leon said:

Catania is the first economic and industrial hub of Sicily. The city is famous for its mainly petrochemical industry, and the extraction of sulphur. In the year 2000, according to Census, Catania was the 14th richest city in Italy, with a GDP of US$6.6 billion (€6.304 billion), which was 0.54% of the Italian GDP, a GDP per capita of US$21,000 (€20,100) and an average GDP per employee of US$69,000 (€66,100).[75]

Today, Catania, despite several problems, has one of the most dynamic economies in the whole of Southern Italy. It still has a strong industrial and agricultural sector, and a fast-growing tourist industry, with many international visitors coming to visit the city's main sights and the nearby Etna volcano. It contains the headquarters or important offices of companies such as STMicroelectronics, and also several chemical and pharmaceutical businesses. There have been several new business developments to further boost Catania's economy, including the construction of Etnapolis,[76] a big shopping mall designed by Massimiliano Fuksas, the same architect who designed the FieraMilano industrial fair in Milan, or the Etna Valley,[77] where several high-tech offices are located.

Tourism is a fast-growing industry in Catania. Lately, the administration and private companies have made several investments in the hospitality industry in order to make tourism a competitive sector in the Metropolitan City. Etnaland, a large amusement and water park located in Belpasso, is in the metropolitan area of Catania, 12 kilometers (7 miles) from the city center. It is the largest of its kind in Southern Italy and attracts thousands of tourists, not only from Sicily, but also from the rest of Italy. According to Tripadvisor (2018) it is the third-largest water park in Europe.[78]

The seaport of Catania is linked to the road-rail distribution hub of Bologna. In September 2020 Mercitalia Logistics opened the first full railway route to link the city to Northern Italy. It replaced an older mixed maritime-railway line.[79]

Do we yet know what our site twat is doing in Catania in the first place?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

I don't think anyone is writing them off, I certainly am not. But the visions of China growing to the extent it had the same sort of dominance that the US had post war are illusionary. China will remain a very large, very important country with a substantial population and a lot of international influence, probably more than it has right now. The reason that I focused on property is that there is a serious risk that a significant part of its middle class will struggle with the costs of investments in property bought which are illiquid and all too often liabilities rather than assets. Its hard to imagine that that will increase the stability of the country.
    America went through multiple busts on its rise to hegemony. Not least the biggest bust of all: the Great Depression

But it still surpassed every other nation

FWIW I don’t think China - nor India, nor the EU, nor anywhere - will ever again match the dominance of the USA 1945-2000

It will be a true multipolar world, more like the mid 19th century, with Britain superior but not dominant, and other powers rising or already able to challenge - France, Germany, the USA, Russia
  • Options
    Leon said:

One of China's problems that Alanbrooke cites is that, under Xi's more autocratic rule, anyone who does not toe the narrow state line is crushed. This is perhaps a benefit in the short-term: it increases internal cohesion, for example.

But a high price is paid in lost creative thought, so China is less likely to tap into the rewards of future technology. The slightly more open system that existed before Xi, while still a dictatorship, would have been better able to harness the talents of creatives and innovators. And it was also able to handle the transition from one leader to another.

Xi Jingping is 70. Perhaps he will still be China's dictator in 2040, at the age of 87. But then what? After around thirty years of one-man rule somehow a succession will have to be handled. It is not a recipe for long-term stability.
  • Options

I think thats the biggest unkown in the current situation

China knows its at is peak for the next decade or so. What does it do ?

Despite accusations of warmongering as it builds up its army, China hasnt really done much shooting, bar with India in the Himalayas. Its hard to know if thats about to change as with more strength and power attitudes change.

Xi is another septuagenarian and maybe like Vlad he's link of his legacy
    Well they invaded Vietnam but they don't really like to talk about that:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m responding to remarks made by others last night that Catania is a sketchy, crime-ridden dump. And it certainly IS the Mafia capital of Italy, and it is surrounded by pretty bleak suburbs albeit with a beautiful baroque core

I’ve just had great frutti di mare in the famous 2000 year old fish market. Fantastico!

Apparently the weather is weirdly warm and sunny even by Sicilian standards. It’s 29C and cloudless in late October. It should be more like 22C
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I visited China in 2005, and in hindsight that looks roughly like the high point of the country from the point of view of freedom and attempting to become more like a Western country. Most people had access to things like the internet and mobile phones at that time, but it was before technology was being used to perform surveillance on the population.

I was there 1990, the year after Tianamen Square.

If China was ever going to be a free society 1989 was the year.

While I take @Alanbrookes header about the demographic problems of China, these are even more true of the other developed countries of the region. Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore are all in the same boat, while the less developed countries of SE Asia are somewhat better off.

Worth noting that the fertility rate of UK and Europe is somewhat better, it is due to significantly higher fertility in migrant communities.

The demographic challenge is a worldwide one, and even the places with historically very high fertility rates are dropping estimates of peak population. Nigeria was forecast to reach 918 million people by 2100, but now only 564 by UN estimates.

The solution to the greying world population is redistribution by immigration, but also lengthening working lives through better health and lifelong learning.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

The problem we face in the UK is that we have structural problems that will take decades to fix. Take, for example, productivity, encouraging a high tech economy, etc. That requires education. However, root and branch reform for education is going to take at least a decade and maybe 20 years or more before it filters through from 5 year olds entering the system now, to 21-22 year olds graduating with the right skills and qualifications. Yes, there are smaller fixes, you basically have to start from scratch. But no politician is going to sign off on changes that will only be felt in 10 or 20 years time, because they won't be in power then.

Similarly with infrastructure. Forget HS2, a Japanese style Maglev (which the UK built the first working one, by the way, at Birmingham airport) will connect Edinburgh with London in an hour and a half, give or take. The north south divide, gone in an instant. People commuting from Manchester to Birmingham in minutes. You could nip down to London from Manchester for a spot of lunch, and still be back at your desk before your boss notices you're gone. Cost of billions, but also a delivery time of 25 years or more. Plus needing the power to override every Nimby objection from Lands End to John o Groats. So if you're a politician, why greenlight it now? You'll never see anything but bad headlines for doing so.

I know my second example is a bit more off the wall there, but my point is that politicians think and legislate for no more than 5 years down the line. With the result that we have schools falling apart with crap RAAC, thick kids, and crumbling, patchwork infrastructure.

Contrast that with Saudi, for example. And their mad Neom project. It's utterly bonkers, but they have the ability to say "let's do this" and if it takes ten years or 25, so what - they'll be in power forever. But my point is they are not constrained by short term, 5 year election cycle thinking.

Liberal democracy has many, many advantages. But planning further than 5 years in the future is not one of them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

America went through multiple busts on its rise to hegemony. Not least the biggest bust of all: the Great Depression

But it still surpassed every other nation

FWIW I don’t think China - nor India, nor the EU, nor anywhere - will ever again match the dominance of the USA 1945-2000

It will be a true multipolar world, more like the mid 19th century, with Britain superior but not dominant, and other powers rising or already able to challenge - France, Germany, the USA, Russia
    I wouldn't disagree wth that. So far China has used state control to avoid the booms and busts of the early US. But I think that they have run out of road for that. They are well overdue a major recession and a write off of huge volumes of zombie investment and development. It will probably do them good in the long run.
  • Options

Leon said:

One of China's problems that Alanbrooke cites is that, under Xi's more autocratic rule, anyone who does not toe the narrow state line is crushed. This is perhaps a benefit in the short-term: it increases internal cohesion, for example.

But a high price is paid in lost creative thought, so China is less likely to tap into the rewards of future technology. The slightly more open system that existed before Xi, while still a dictatorship, would have been better able to harness the talents of creatives and innovators. And it was also able to handle the transition from one leader to another.

Xi Jingping is 70. Perhaps he will still be China's dictator in 2040, at the age of 87. But then what? After around thirty years of one-man rule somehow a succession will have to be handled. It is not a recipe for long-term stability.
    And where is this paragon of stability, amongst the major powers?

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    France? Bon jour Mme Le Pen
    Russia? Lol
    Germany? Heading for permanent decline

Despite everything thrown at it, including the plague and the world’s longest lockdown, China still looks remarkably stable, to me
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    Russia? Lol

Despite everything thrown at it, including the plague and the world’s longest lockdown, China still looks remarkably stable, to me
    We are all perhaps looking at the wrong unit of population. Nations are, after all, a rather quaint throwback to times when our species didn’t create its own species-threatening externalities.

The human species’ best times are behind it. A combination of rapid climate change, collapsing demographics and (yes) AI mean this century may end up belonging to the jellyfish and/or the robots.

Or not, but it’s a risk.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

If not by 2030, when, may be his question. Emperor Xi only has so many years in him as well. Sure, you can dictator on for much longer, but peak dictator years?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    Russia? Lol

Generally speaking democracies have an agreed process for deciding who is in charge and how that changes. There have been a remarkably high number of peaceful transitions of power among the G7.

China cannot say the same.

Before Xi it looked like they had hit upon a method for doing so, even while remaining a dictatorship, which was impressive, and would have been a firmer basis for Chinese global dominance than the singular rule of Xi.

Sure, in the short-term it has some benefits, but it incurs a higher cost later on.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

While I take @Alanbrookes header about the demographic problems of China, these are even more true of the other developed countries of the region. Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore are all in the same boat, while the less developed countries of SE Asia are somewhat better off.

Worth noting that the fertility rate of UK and Europe is somewhat better, it is due to significantly higher fertility in migrant communities.

The demographic challenge is a worldwide one, and even the places with historically very high fertility rates are dropping estimates of peak population. Nigeria was forecast to reach 918 million people by 2100, but now only 564 by UN estimates.

The solution to the greying world population is redistribution by immigration, but also lengthening working lives through better health and lifelong learning.
    Again you completely ignore the overwhelming impact of AI. It is hurtling towards us

This is not personal, everyone on PB ignores it, when futurecasting

Yuval gets it

“We have just encountered an alien intelligence, here on Earth,” Yuval Noah Harari says of AI in a guest essay. “We don’t know much about it, except that it might destroy our civilisation” econ.st/3QpeE4w 👇

https://x.com/theeconomist/status/1715789427660759500?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    Russia? Lol

Generally speaking democracies have an agreed process for deciding who is in charge and how that changes. There have been a remarkably high number of peaceful transitions of power among the G7.

China cannot say the same.

Before Xi it looked like they had hit upon a method for doing so, even while remaining a dictatorship, which was impressive, and would have been a firmer basis for Chinese global dominance than the singular rule of Xi.

Sure, in the short-term it has some benefits, but it incurs a higher cost later on.
    He's reintroduced successor crises. A problem for another day though, as far as he will be concerned.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you not think that your solution carries risks of generating political instability? Human populations are not fungible commodities.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    Russia? Lol

We shouldnt write China off but I think it will find the easy days are behind it.

One of the things that fascinates me is how the Belt and Road will end up. A friend of mine who had spent a lot of time in Africa predicted the Chinese would get taken to the cleaners when the African decided they didnt want to play ball any more.

• Options
    Oh dear.

It seems that Rishi’s phone - the one he claimed he’d changed and therefore could not possibly supply WhatsApp messages from to aid the Covid enquiry - is still operational.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    Russia? Lol

We shouldnt write China off but I think it will find the easy days are behind it.

One of the things that fascinates me is how the Belt and Road will end up. A friend of mine who had spent a lot of time in Africa predicted the Chinese would get taken to the cleaners when the African decided they didnt want to play ball any more.

Belt and road railway construction on the plateau near Lake Paravani yesterday, with plenty of visible Chinese financing:

They’re getting the old iron belt up pretty quickly. Fewer marginal blue-wall constituencies or ancient woodlands on the lesser Caucasus steppe though.

Tbilisi is hosting a new Silk Road forum on Rustaveli Avenue this weekend too.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    Russia? Lol

This is already happening.
    The Belt and Road is looking like a v expensive white elephant.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    Russia? Lol

Surely the key is how long they expect Africa to be grateful for, since nations are not known for remaining so long term.

It's the "What have you done for me lately?" school of international affairs.

"Thanks for all the investment, now bugger off" would be used by any nation that feels strong enough to do so.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Again you completely ignore the overwhelming impact of AI. It is hurtling towards us

Yuval gets it

“We have just encountered an alien intelligence, here on Earth,” Yuval Noah Harari says of AI in a guest essay. “We don’t know much about it, except that it might destroy our civilisation” econ.st/3QpeE4w 👇

https://x.com/theeconomist/status/1715789427660759500?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg
    How is AI going to solve the demographic problem?

AI is not going to be wiping bums an putting old people to bed nor washing and dressing them in the morning.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    Russia? Lol

Belt and road railway construction on the plateau near Lake Paravani yesterday, with plenty of visible Chinese financing:

They’re getting the old iron belt up pretty quickly. Fewer marginal blue-wall constituencies or ancient woodlands on the lesser Caucasus steppe though.

Tbilisi is hosting a new Silk Road forum on Rustaveli Avenue this weekend too.
    like all financing , will they get their money back ?
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

AI is not going to be wiping bums an putting old people to bed nor washing and dressing them in the morning.
    Is it not? Seems like something those developing it would want AI to do.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

✔️ AI
    ✔️ Woke
    ✔️ IQ
    No trans aliens, though. So no House! for you
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you not think that your solution carries risks of generating political instability? Human populations are not fungible commodities.
    Well we have seen massive population movements with cultural change in the past, though in the last 500 years that was mostly people moving from Europe to the rest of the world. That tide has changed to reverse.

Can we adapt? Yes, of course, but it does require some effort to integrate migrants. In the end we are going to have to do so, or wind down to an inverted demographic pyramid weighing ever harder on our youngsters.

That's before effective policy on climate change, and economic development of poor communities. Without that there will be major push factors as well as pull.

• Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

Easy. Skynet will exterminate us, solving both demographic and climate problems in one fell swoop.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

Actually, one of the areas that is being looked at, in depth, is robotics to assist elderly people. The current “AI” models can help there.

Imagine a dog like robot, for instance, which trots along, faithfully, behind its owner. Built in location beacon for family. If the owner becomes tired, they can sit on it. Carries water. If the owner falls down or us taken ill summons emergency services. Carries shopping as well. Built in phone as well.

That is in the near future. There are already experiments in robots to lift patients in and out of beds… once you have seen a robot picking raspberries, you can easily imagine a robot helping people dress, wash etc.

• Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

In 20-40 years, this guy's great great grandson will either be wiping bums, or will have taken over so many other manual labour jobs, that all that will be left for unskilled workers is wiping bums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e1_QhJ1EhQ
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

Easy. Skynet will exterminate us, solving both
    demographic and climate problems in one fell
    swoop.
    Turns out Skynet is a reason to fear SKS:

Worth noting that the UK's Skynet (yes, really) military satellite communications system was launched under a Labour government... (Harold Wilson's, to be specific).

https://x.com/chriso_wiki/status/1716072715591819507?s=46
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

India already has a larger population than China doesn't it? Or there about equal such that we can measure it.

I honestly don't think we will see another hegemonic power like the United States was after 1945 or certainly between 1990-2010. It was a highly advanced economy when most of the world wasn't and crucially most of the other highly advanced economies were US allies under essentially US global leadership. I doubt that will be repeated and if China thinks it can be replicated they may be in for a rude awakening.

There is some evidence that China's population is overstated, possibly by a tenth or more. The reasons include such things as bureaucrats having an incentive to overstate births in their area, to get more central government funds and the central government wanting the prestige of being (till recently) the world's most populous country.

I don't entirely buy it, but it would reconcile with the theory that China's GDP is overstated by a similar amount or more, based on secondary statistics like electricity consumption.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/china-low-fertility-rate-population-decline-by-yi-fuxian-2023-02
    https://time.com/4791867/china-population-crisis-india/
    https://www.voanews.com/a/satellites-shed-light-on-dictators-lies-about-economic-growth/6813119.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lhmd-_ATWc

• Options
    Leon said:

You miss once again the fact that all the things you consider to be the Wests "weaknesses" are actually its strengths.

Yes the West critically examines its past, that's not a bad thing, quite the contrary there is centuries of evidence that reflection and self-analysis are the keys to success and doing better in the future.

Yes China puts its troublesome minorities and anyone who questions its agenda in camps. That's a weakness, not a strength, questioning like reflection is again a key to successful development as it allows course correction and better development.

Yes they're doing well on infrastructure to be fair, that is an actual strength.

Overall though the West is doing better that China in two out of three, which in the words of the late philosopher Loaf, Meat "ain't bad".

You might want to read up before your next travels on concepts like critical reflection and then critically reflect yourself upon why the democratic West has outshone its more autocratic rivals for centuries. You might want to consider how despite the USSR having an early lead in the Space Race it was America at the height of the Civil Rights Movement that was able to put man on the moon.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,842

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

Actually, one of the areas that is being looked at, in depth, is robotics to assist elderly people. The current “AI” models can help there.

Imagine a dog like robot, for instance, which trots along, faithfully, behind its owner. Built in location beacon for family. If the owner becomes tired, they can sit on it. Carries water. If the owner falls down or us taken ill summons emergency services. Carries shopping as well. Built in phone as well.

That is in the near future. There are already experiments in robots to lift patients in and out of beds… once you have seen a robot picking raspberries, you can easily imagine a robot helping people dress, wash etc.

Unless things have changed, I think that's a dead-end. Japan was seriously into nursing robotics a decade or two ago, but it ran out. It's not a case of "It's not possible", it's more a case of "It's expensive, there's a steep leaning curve, and migrants are cheaper"

Happy to be contradicted if wrong

https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/01/09/1065135/japan-automating-eldercare-robots
  • Options
    Fishing said:

There is some evidence that China's population is overstated, possibly by a tenth or more. The reasons include such things as bureaucrats having an incentive to overstate births in their area, to get more central government funds and the central government wanting the prestige of being (till recently) the world's most populous country.

I don't entirely buy it, but it would reconcile with the theory that China's GDP is overstated by a similar amount or more, based on secondary statistics like electricity consumption.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/china-low-fertility-rate-population-decline-by-yi-fuxian-2023-02
    https://time.com/4791867/china-population-crisis-india/
    https://www.voanews.com/a/satellites-shed-light-on-dictators-lies-about-economic-growth/6813119.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lhmd-_ATWc

In the USSR, births were overstated, because births equaled workforce and conscripts for the army.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

Unless things have changed, I think that's a dead-end. Japan was seriously into nursing robotics a decade or two ago, but it ran out. It's not a case of "It's not possible", it's more a case of "It's expensive, there's a steep leaning curve, and migrants are cheaper"

https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/01/09/1065135/japan-automating-eldercare-robots
    From a technological point of view, twenty years ago, you would have had to program in the robot's every move. It's about as sophisticated as a forklift truck. Now, the reason Boston Dynamics robots move fluidly and like us, is motion capture based on our movements, machine learning, plus trial and error, run millions and millions of times on simulations that are now possible because of exponentially greater computing power.

From a cost point of view, how many bits of tech can you think of that were costly and hard to manufacture twenty to forty years ago that have become ubiquitous and infinitely more powerful and useful today? DIgital cameras cost a fortune and were crap compared to film 20 years ago, solar panels were expensive and inefficent, now they're some of the cheapest power out there, mobile phones could only be afforded by Gordon Gekko types in the 90s and were the size of a brick, etc.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Imagine how much worse global warming would be if China had not had its one child policy for 35 years...
  • Options

Imagine how much worse global warming would be if China had not had its one child policy for 35 years...

It’s been quantified I think. A lot worse.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,842
    kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

From a technological point of view, twenty years ago, you would have had to program in the robot's every move. It's about as sophisticated as a forklift truck. Now, the reason Boston Dynamics robots move fluidly and like us, is motion capture based on our movements, machine learning, plus trial and error, run millions and millions of times on simulations that are now possible because of exponentially greater computing power.

From a cost point of view, how many bits of tech can you think of that were costly and hard to manufacture twenty to forty years ago that have become ubiquitous and infinitely more powerful and useful today? DIgital cameras cost a fortune and were crap compared to film 20 years ago, solar panels were expensive and inefficent, now they're some of the cheapest power out there, mobile phones could only be afforded by Gordon Gekko types in the 90s and were the size of a brick, etc.
    Not being incredibly dim, I do know that. But my point is we're not there yet. I am sympathetic to the argument we are in the Trough of Disillusionment in the hype cycle, and it may be that in 10-20 years we may have nursing robots in the same way as we now have deployed battlefield drones and lasers.

But we aren't there yet, and it's not a next-five-years thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-M98KLgaUU
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    I did used to think that China would take a long term perspective on the renegade province. They are going to get it eventually so if it takes 100 years then it's #whatevs

Lately, I've been considering that it may be Xi's legacy project. Old man in a hurry and all that. Every reform and development that they make with the armed forces seems to focused on enabling that goal. Shandong carrier, Nanchang destroyers, etc.
  • Options
    TimS said:

It’s been quantified I think. A lot worse.
    China says an extra 250 - 300m Chinese without the one child policy. So an extra 3 gigatonnes or so per annum of extra carbon production, if no mitigation.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

Not being incredibly dim, I do know that. But my point is we're not there yet. I am sympathetic to the argument we are in the Trough of Disillusionment in the hype cycle, and it may be that in 10-20 years we may have nursing robots in the same way as we now have deployed battlefield drones and lasers.

I said downthread that the robots will be doing the job in 20-40 years. You were talking about "a decade or so ago" so I thought we were clear on timelines.

On the other hand, if we do get to AGI within the next decade and it doesn't kill us all (or, more likely, ignore us, the way you or I might ignore an ant) AGI itself will be able to design better and more efficient robots within that timeframe. That is of course, a huge, speculative if. But if the singularity does hold true, and it's benign for human civilisation, the next decade or so could be revolutionary. Assuming of course, we don't all wipe each other out first.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

I did used to think that China would take a long term perspective on the renegade province. They are going to get it eventually so if it takes 100 years then it's #whatevs

Lately, I've been considering that it may be Xi's legacy project. Old man in a hurry and all that. Every reform and development that they make with the armed forces seems to focused on enabling that goal. Shandong carrier, Nanchang destroyers, etc.

Alternatively, they could take all those strategic resources up to the Urals without much of a fight...

Russia would be left with the ballet and some Easter eggs.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551
    Foxy said:

This is pretty misleading really. Three or four points.

That the election of 2019 is the baseline for the 2024 one is just a fact. It just was the last GE. Full stop.

The suggestion that it shouldn't be is predicated on the idea that the election was in some way abnormal. It wasn't. All election are particular and unique to their circumstances. There isn't a normal to be had. Some are boring, some not. Them's the breaks.

If looking for weirdness, 2017 in many ways beats 2019 as the election where the detail of the outcome bore uniquely little relation to expectations at the start.

Go back further to 2015, 2010 etc. All that is pre: Referendum, Brexit, Trump, Covid, Ukraine, Hamas/Gaza. Numerically it is recent, but in fact it is so past it is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

2019 is the baseline. Swing looks like it's going to be humungous. But remember 2017.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

A lot of that “failed” effort created a whole raft of stuff concerning actuators, gait analysis/structure. The problem was, as said above, generalising actions.

What the rather limited true capabilities of “AI” offers is generalised solutions to such problems. Hence a robot that can pick raspberries by sight, better than a human.

You won’t get generalist robots for quite a while. But a robot that can do the dishes, vacuum etc? That’s coming.
  • Options

viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

A lot of that “failed” effort created a whole raft of stuff concerning actuators, gait analysis/structure. The problem was, as said above, generalising actions.

What the rather limited true capabilities of “AI” offers is generalised solutions to such problems. Hence a robot that can pick raspberries by sight, better than a human.

You won’t get generalist robots for quite a while. But a robot that can do the dishes, vacuum etc? That’s coming.
    Machines that can wash dishes have existed for decades.

I'm more interested in when a machine can pack away clean dishes and that's far more of a unique challenge.
  • Options

viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

I'm more interested in when a machine can pack away clean dishes and that's far more of a unique challenge.
    That’s what I am talking about - simple household tasks like that are now within reach, technically.
  • Options

viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

These machines are called husbands or male partners and yes they find it a challenge but have no more choice over it than a robot.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,061
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Wandering round the city centre rarely gives
    a full sense of a place.
    Charming

• Options

viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yuval gets it

That’s what I am talking about - simple household tasks like that are now within reach, technically.
    I'm sceptical. Especially since knowing where to pack away dishes is completely different to the much more technically easy loading a dishwasher which they still can't do.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,061

Leon said:

Leon said:

America? Lol
    Britain? Er
    Russia? Lol

One of the things that fascinates me is how the Belt and Road will end up. A friend of mine who had spent a lot of time in Africa predicted the Chinese would get taken to the cleaners when the African decided they
    didnt want to play ball any more.

Kenya is already getting grumpy

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

That the election of 2019 is the baseline for the 2024 one is just a fact. It just was the last GE. Full stop.

The suggestion that it shouldn't be is predicated on the idea that the election was in some way abnormal. It wasn't. All election are particular and unique to their circumstances. There isn't a normal to be had. Some are boring, some not. Them's the breaks.

If looking for weirdness, 2017 in many ways beats 2019 as the election where the detail of the outcome bore uniquely little relation to expectations at the start.

Go back further to 2015, 2010 etc. All that is pre: Referendum, Brexit, Trump, Covid, Ukraine, Hamas/Gaza. Numerically it is recent, but in fact it is so past it is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

2019 is the baseline. Swing looks like it's going to be humungous. But remember 2017.
    Alternative way of framing the question...

When people talk about 2019 as the baseline, it tends to be followed up by "and Starmer needs an absurd number of gains to get even a small majority." Maybe it's better to think of that follow up as being potentially borked.

Partly because of Scotland, partly because of Corbyn, partly because of the madness of 2016-now.

And no, Starmer < Blair, but Sunak << Major.

Yes, big Conservative win to big Labour win is a crazy number of seats changing hands. But perhaps these are still crazy times.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,652
    Leon said:

On topic, it is WAY too soon to write China off. Yes it has major demographic problems, but so does much of the world. And the AI revolution may render such questions irrelevant. We won’t need a trillion workers. The problem will be too many idle hands…

Who knows ?
    But you’re right in thinking that extrapolation of current trends - including demographics - is quite likely to be a very poor means of forecasting beyond the next decade.

And demographics isn’t everything in forecasting, apparently.
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/biz/2023/10/602_361506.html
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Alternative way of framing the question...

When people talk about 2019 as the baseline, it tends to be followed up by "and Starmer needs an absurd number of gains to get even a small majority." Maybe it's better to think of that follow up as being potentially borked.

Partly because of Scotland, partly because of Corbyn, partly because of the madness of 2016-now.

And no, Starmer less than Blair, but Sunak (less than)x2 Major.

Yes, big Conservative win to big Labour win is a crazy number of seats changing hands. But perhaps these are still crazy times.
    The fact is there's no such thing as a "safe seat". At every election count every candidate in every seat starts with zero votes, and then its up to the electorate to decide.

Sometimes (like in 2001) the electorate decides to vote the same way as it did last time, which results in the same seats going the same way approximately.
    Sometimes (like in 1997, 2010) a portion of the electorate decides decides to vote differently, which can result in considerable changes.
    Sometimes (like in Scotland 2015, Canada 1993) an even more considerable portion decides to vote differently, which can result in overwhelming changes.

The baseline is 2019, but that means nothing much, since the evidence so far is that the electorate could vote very, very differently.

And I agree that while Starmer is less than Blair, Sunak is even more less than Major, so it more than balances out in Starmer's favour.

(not using and replaced your less than symbols, since they bugger the sites formatting).
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Wandering round the city centre rarely gives
    a full sense of a place.
    Charming

That’d make a change
  • Options

Leon said:

You miss once again the fact that all the things you consider to be the Wests "weaknesses" are actually its strengths.

Yes the West critically examines its past, that's not a bad thing, quite the contrary there is centuries of evidence that reflection and self-analysis are the keys to success and doing better in the future.

Yes China puts its troublesome minorities and anyone who questions its agenda in camps. That's a weakness, not a strength, questioning like reflection is again a key to successful development as it allows course correction and better development.

Yes they're doing well on infrastructure to be fair, that is an actual strength.

Overall though the West is doing better that China in two out of three, which in the words of the late philosopher Loaf, Meat "ain't bad".

You might want to read up before your next travels on concepts like critical reflection and then critically reflect yourself upon why the democratic West has outshone its more autocratic rivals for centuries. You might want to consider how despite the USSR having an early lead in the Space Race it was America at the height of the Civil Rights Movement that was able to put man on the moon.
    The Sage of Warrington Speaks
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The Sage of Warrington Speaks
    And he's right.

1960s Leon would have been bemoaning the Civil Rights movement and saying how much better autocratic USSR is, since it wasn't tearing itself apart with Civil Rights.

You constantly belittle and bemoan everything that makes the West great, but its our strength not our weakness.
  • Options
    edit
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Ooh. Decaying Fascist Architecture

“The House of the Mutilated” - the place for war amputees

Opposite the filthiest opera house in Europe

I can surely dig out an overarching metaphor here? The decline of Europe in a single piazza? The triumph of litter and decay over both Conceptual Fascism and Romantic Aristocracy? Nice ice creams?
This discussion has been closed.