Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is the Government’s Israel approach getting it right? – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815

MattW said:

viewcode said:

Meanwhile, I did a Luton fire video with a slightly clickbaitey title / thumb. Entertaining that I’ve now got “it was definitely an EV” comments popping up on the video

Suits me. My channel is on fire at the moment. Happy to take their advertising money…

This is where it starts. The slow, seductive slide into shock jockery and outrage media. You'll start laughing at ICE wankers and complaining about being cancelled. You'll end up as a Northern Alex Jones, mark my words... 😁
    Oh I hope so…
    One issue is that your channel may eventually be imprisoned by your audience - both need to be equally high quality or it sucks. Good Youtube channels are a see-saw between the Youtuber and the community.

If you don't care, that is fine.
    I do not want to be Alex Jones…
    Why? She seems like a lovely Welsh woman, and was great presenting the One Show.

Oh you mean a different Alex Jones... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,145
    O/T

Question Time from 1st May 1986. Just posted on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzSFK-vnv5s
  • Options
    Michael Caine confirms retirement from acting after The Great Escaper
  • Options
    Fishing said:

On topic, I don't think this will be much of an issue in itself in the next general election, unless it escalates drastically, because there's probably at least a year until the election, no direct British interest there, no direct threat to NATO (unlike Russia in control of Ukraine), no vital policy issues for us, precious little difference between Sunak and Starmer and not much evidence that the British public will overcome its general insularity. Of course many Jews and Muslims (though by no means all of each) will care passionately, but they are a small part of the electorate and heavily concentrated geographically.

If things haven't calmed down by then it might fester "in the background", but there will be many such problems, and I can't see it affecting the outcome much either way.

Perhaps the main issue is the risk of a wider conflict and the possible effect on oil supplies from the Middle East. Galloping energy prices are more likely to benefit Labour, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Israel's Kan public broadcaster says it found document left behind by a Hamas fighter, which included a combat protocol to kill as many civilians as possible.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,872
    Fishing said:

On topic, I don't think this will be much of an issue in itself in the next general election, unless it escalates drastically, because there's probably at least a year until the election, no direct British interest there, no direct threat to NATO (unlike Russia in control of Ukraine), no vital policy issues for us, precious little difference between Sunak and Starmer and not much evidence that the British public will overcome its general insularity. Of course many Jews and Muslims (though by no means all of each) will care passionately, but they are a small part of the electorate and heavily concentrated geographically.

If things haven't calmed down by then it might fester "in the background", but there will be many such problems, and I can't see it affecting the outcome much either way.

I'm not so sure.

The Jewish community, I agree, are only significant in a small number of seats - being a community of approx 0.5% of the population. That was assessed in detail around the Corbyn issue - it potentially affected under 5 seats significantly iirc.

The Muslim community is around 6-7% of the population, which is potentially more significant. I can see that having a significant effect in some places.

I think it would turn on the message of the candidate, and possibly a smaller party taking a different view from Labour and Conservative which will be closely aligned imo.

Agree that the should have receded by then, but that may not happen.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,225

Marie Le Conte
    @youngvulgarian
    ·
    19m
    can you guys just fucking stop retweeting graphic pictures and videos of dead bodies, what exactly does it achieve at this point, do we need to see mangled limbs to understand how bad things are, don't these people deserve some dignity in death

Yep. Glad I’m not the only one. Enough.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    pinball13 said:

Crossover in mid-Beds on Betfair - Tories now favourites (just) over Labour. But a big liquidity gap has opened up - 2.24 to bet on the Tories, 2.56 to lay.

Any idea what's driving this? Has there been another poll? I thought Labour were looking nailed on.
    It's swapped back again now - Lab 2.4, Con 2.5. The sums are quite small and one punter can often change the odds single-handedly.

The consensus seems to be that Con and Lab are neck and neck with the LibDems some way behind. The question is whether Labour can succeed in winning over tactical voters who initially sided with the LibDems. Labour is certainly not nailed on, but probably just ahead. Rachel Reeves was campaigning there today, and Ed Davey has been several times - not sure if the Tories are throwing in big guns or just hoping the LibDem effort will split the opposition vote.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989

darkage said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h
    Just did a talk to headteachers. One told me he has 40% of his families using his food bank every week. Another that they'd had five children taken into care just last week.

If the next government don't do something about rising deep poverty they're just pissing around tbh.

The problem is that inflation hits the very poorest the worst. I remember a few years ago there were cans of beans for 18p and loaves of bread for 50p. Now it is 50 p for a can of beans for 50p and a loaf of bread for £1... at least 100% inflation in each case. It just hits the basic cost of living the highest. Meanwhile those with wealth get interest on their savings and dont even notice the price rises.
    Bread is more like 75p though.
    My local artisan baker is now charging almost a fiver for a sourdough. A basic sourdough. Not even a fancy one.

The struggle is real.
    I'll be voting Keir.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 124
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I might now actually abandon the entire concept of printing. Fuck em

Today I went into work. Printed some stuff. Brought it home.

Haven't owned a printer for at least 15 years.
    A serviced work printer is one of life's small luxuries.
    Definitely.

As I'm without access to one at the moment, but still don't want to buy a printer, I've been using either the the library or CHF docmail. The library is 25p a sheet, and (like small print shops) you can't rely on confidentiality as they don't have enough IT nouse to keep anything secure. But it is immediate. CHF docmail is reasonably confidential and cheap (they work on an industrial scale and don't advertise the fact that you can get a single copy of a doc printed) but the latency is 5 days. Although, if you are mailing the doc to someone, you can just get CHF to mail it for you directly, as that's what their actual business is.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

pinball13 said:

Crossover in mid-Beds on Betfair - Tories now favourites (just) over Labour. But a big liquidity gap has opened up - 2.24 to bet on the Tories, 2.56 to lay.

Any idea what's driving this? Has there been another poll? I thought Labour were looking nailed on.
    It's swapped back again now - Lab 2.4, Con 2.5. The sums are quite small and one punter can often change the odds single-handedly.

The consensus seems to be that Con and Lab are neck and neck with the LibDems some way behind. The question is whether Labour can succeed in winning over tactical voters who initially sided with the LibDems. Labour is certainly not nailed on, but probably just ahead. Rachel Reeves was campaigning there today, and Ed Davey has been several times - not sure if the Tories are throwing in big guns or just hoping the LibDem effort will split the opposition vote.
    What is the point of Davey campaigning there? The Liberals cannot win. The two opposition parties deserve to lose for the hubristic way they have mismanaged this race.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

darkage said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h
    Just did a talk to headteachers. One told me he has 40% of his families using his food bank every week. Another that they'd had five children taken into care just last week.

If the next government don't do something about rising deep poverty they're just pissing around tbh.

The problem is that inflation hits the very poorest the worst. I remember a few years ago there were cans of beans for 18p and loaves of bread for 50p. Now it is 50 p for a can of beans for 50p and a loaf of bread for £1... at least 100% inflation in each case. It just hits the basic cost of living the highest. Meanwhile those with wealth get interest on their savings and dont even notice the price rises.
    My local artisan baker is now charging almost a fiver for a sourdough. A basic sourdough. Not even a fancy one.

The struggle is real.
    I'll be voting Keir.
    Drink beer and vote Keir.

Eat Korma and vote Stormer.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,049
    ohnotnow said:

darkage said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h

The struggle is real.
    I'll be voting Keir.
    At that price, your baker will have more dough than you.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    An alternative view.

https://twitter.com/DalrympleWill/status/1712930368134013164

"William Dalrymple
    @DalrympleWill
    The most impressive politician in the United Kingdom in the last week of horror and crisis in the Middle East has been, without exception, @HumzaYousaf.
    While @RishiSunak, @Keir_Starmer and especially the shameful @SuellaBraverman have all been grandstanding for political self-interest, and almost competing to egg on the Israeli right to commit genocidal havoc in Gaza, @HumzaYousaf, whose own mother-in-law is bravely, despairingly, running a clinic in Gaza, and personally having to decide how to save her patients ordered to evacuate the North of the city before Israel flattens it, Humza has been busy comforting and reassuring the Scottish Jewish community, as well as the Scottish Palestinian Muslims and Christians, and assuring them them all that they will be safe and welcome and protected in Scotland.
    I am not a Scottish nationalist, and never voted SNP. But I can't think of a time I've been prouder to be Scottish. Thank you Humza and hats off and your bravery, poise, calm, compassion and humanity."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,233

I've been reluctant to comment on events in Israel/Gaza. But I have been very impressed by Antony Blinken, who happens to be Jewish himself. His efforts to use diplomacy to good ends throughout the region have been admirable, even if his words in he end fall on deaf ears. He's impressed me previously as well.
    Pity he's not a politician - I reckon he'd have made a good President.

Maybe the non-Biden option is hiding in plain sight.

Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Van Buren and Buchanan were all Secretary of State before becoming President.
    And Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State before losing to Donald Trump.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Leon said:

MY GOD I HATE PRINTERS. JUST. FUCKING. WORK

They are the Devil's playthings.

Just take it to a local print shop. It is way cheaper per page than buying ink cartridges. And you outsource dealing with printers to some poor schmuck.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,233
    New thread, innit
  • Options
    Difficult to understand how someone could be a believer in Scottish independence one day, and a supporter of the union the next.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,712

pinball13 said:

Or it could be that the Tories are hoping that Labour will split the opposition vote.

Labour seem to be doing quite well in national opinion polls - and also in local polls commissioned by the Labour Party. But the only thing they have going for them is that they are not the Tories. I have not noticed any enthusiasm for Labour policies.

I still think the Lib Dems will do well in this three-horse race.
This discussion has been closed.