Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is the Government’s Israel approach getting it right? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited October 2023 in General
Is the Government’s Israel approach getting it right? – politicalbetting.com

Thinking about the UK's approach to recent events, do you think the UK should be…More supportive towards Israel than it has been: 16%More critical towards Israel than it has been: 22%Is getting the balance about right: 24%Don't know: 39%https://t.co/9JgMSwKN8H pic.twitter.com/k2PI4a6fXv

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    First?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Second like the Tories next GE
  • Options

OT. Starmer and Sunak won't be having an argument over Israel. Much more likely to be Starmer having to deal with dissentient voices within Labour.

Starmer possibly has an opportunity to expel or drive away any remaining anti-Semitics from his party.
  • Options
    Discussed Israel / Hamas with wifey this morning. She’s not especially engaged with either side. Has picked up on Hamas atrocities and suggested that Israel “salt the earth” slaughtering the bastards…
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    edited October 2023
    Meanwhile, I did a Luton fire video with a slightly clickbaitey title / thumb. Entertaining that I’ve now got “it was definitely an EV” comments popping up on the video

Suits me. My channel is on fire at the moment. Happy to take their advertising money…
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Can't think why the Tories seem to be uniting briefly from their ferrets in a sack routine to attack and try and undermine the BBC just months before a GE.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    FPT:

I've moved onto rum & coke with James I and Queen Anne now.

I may as well see in the apocalypse with the Stuarts:

I have to say rum and coke is the most evil drink ever invented.

I am not at all influenced in that by my experience at the end of term party as a 17 year old in 1977.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Second like the Tories next GE

Question is whether the Tories polled are polling that way because they assume their lords and masters are always right, rather than because they have actually thought about the question.

Ditto for the other political parties.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,298
    The Conservatives may regret holding on for the full five years if this conflict ends up having a similar economic impact as the similar war fifty years ago.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

Meanwhile, I did a Luton fire video with a slightly clickbaitey title / thumb. Entertaining that I’ve now got “it was definitely an EV” comments popping up on the video

Suits me. My channel is on fire at the moment. Happy to take their advertising money…

Everything wrong with social media haha

(I've had the same experience)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,831

This is where it starts. The slow, seductive slide into shock jockery and outrage media. You'll start laughing at ICE wankers and complaining about being cancelled. You'll end up as a Northern Alex Jones, mark my words... 😁
  • Options

Discussed Israel / Hamas with wifey this morning. She’s not especially engaged with either side. Has picked up on Hamas atrocities and suggested that Israel “salt the earth” slaughtering the bastards…

Response of those mates who I have spoken to this week about the latest events has just been total world-weariness. In our late 50s/60s and seems this cycle of violence has continued on and off our whole lives.
  • Options
    "But I got a word of warning for all you would-be warriors. When you join my command, you take on debit. A debit you owe me personally. Each and every PBer under my command owes me one hundred Hamas scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y'all will git me one hundred Hamas scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred dead Hamas terrorists. Or you will die tryin'!"
  • Options

Response of those mates who I have spoken to this week about the latest events has just been total world-weariness. In our late 50s/60s and seems this cycle of violence has continued on and off our whole lives.
    My social media is eerily quiet about it.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Excellent. In every cloud etc. etc.

This morning Mrs C asked what was up on PB.

I said they were discussing the Luton fire.

Startled. Even more surprised when I explained that it was caused by someone baling out of a dodgy diesel Roller but that some on PB and even more on the net generally were blaming EVs and going on* about LTNs, Messrs Drakeford and Khan, etc. etc.

(The funny thing is: did anybody on PB jump to the instant conclusion it was terrorism? If they did, I missed it. In comspicuous contrast to Glaswegian scaffies' lorries.)

*not so much on PB, tbf.
  • Options

FPT:

I've moved onto rum & coke with James I and Queen Anne now.

I may as well see in the apocalypse with the Stuarts:

I have to say rum and coke is the most evil drink ever invented.

I am not at all influenced in that by my experience at the end of term party as a 17 year old in 1977.
    It took me far too long to work out that vodka and coke (the cola, not the powder) were much better and you could have cherries and ice-cream and not have a hangover.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,158
    Wouldn't surprise me if Humsa gets a polling boost in the next Scotland poll. Lots of sympathy towards him and his family given the situation with his parents in-law and he's handled the Israel-Gaza conflict pretty well.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    So more Conservatives and Leavers think the UK government should be more supportive of Israel than it has been, while more Labour and Remain voters think the UK government should be more critical of Israel than it has been.

So Sunak and Braverman probably getting the tone right for their own voters, if anything a bit understated in support of Israel for them. Starmer however needs to remember to support the Palestinians case too as well as Israel's right to defend itself to keep his voters on side, albeit after Corbyn he will still be careful to reassure Jewish voters anti Semitism in Labour is over
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Use
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,292
    My new printer is malfunctioning
  • Options
    MY GOD I HATE PRINTERS. JUST. FUCKING. WORK
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    Leon said:

Picnic?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    A few things to consider:

The government may say things in private that it doesn't in public (such is international relations)
    Criticising Israel whilst generally supporting it's right to self defence can be tricky to articulate clearly*
    Starmer with be loath to distance himself from Israel for fear of association with the lunatics/islamists

*particularly after such awful events
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    edited October 2023
    I've been reluctant to comment on events in Israel/Gaza. But I have been very impressed by Antony Blinken, who happens to be Jewish himself. His efforts to use diplomacy to good ends throughout the region have been admirable, even if his words in the end fall on deaf ears. He's impressed me previously as well.
    Pity he's not a politician - I reckon he'd have made a good President.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    The Conservatives won't be upset at being on the same page as 40% of voters, and 58% of their own supporters.

There's potentially more of a problem for Labour, given many of their supporters care passionately about Palestine.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Remind us- how long have you had it?
  • Options

The Conservatives may regret holding on for the full five years if this conflict ends up having a similar economic impact as the similar war fifty years ago.

dunno. They would have something to blame?
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Wouldn't surprise me if Humsa gets a polling boost in the next Scotland poll. Lots of sympathy towards him and his family given the situation with his parents in-law and he's handled the Israel-Gaza conflict pretty well.

Only 25% of Scots think the UK government should be more critical of Israel, little different to the UK figure and less than even the current SNP poll rating. Whereas 33% of Londoners think the government should be more critical of Israel, the highest figure in any GB region

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2023/10/13/be487/1
  • Options

Leon said:

Remind us- how long have you had it?
    About 3 weeks. This is a record, I think
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Only 25% of Scots think the UK government should be more critical of Israel, little different to the UK figure and less than even the current SNP poll rating. Whereas 33% of Londoners think the government should be more critical of Israel, the highest figure in any GB region

That's a greater figure than any other geographical division, other than London.
  • Options
    I might now actually abandon the entire concept of printing. Fuck em
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

I've been reluctant to comment on events in Israel/Gaza. But I have been very impressed by Antony Blinken, who happens to be Jewish himself. His efforts to use diplomacy to good ends throughout the region have been admirable, even if his words in he end fall on deaf ears. He's impressed me previously as well.

Maybe the non-Biden option is hiding in plain sight.

Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Van Buren and Buchanan were all Secretary of State before becoming President.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Conservatives won't be upset at being on the same page as 40% of voters, and 58% of their own supporters.

There's potentially more of a problem for Labour, given many of their supporters care passionately about Palestine.

How true is that?

Obviously it's very big among the Corbynite membership but more generally?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

That's a greater figure than any other geographical division, other than London.
    It is just 3% more than the UK figure, London is a whopping 11% more wanting criticism of Israel than the UK figure.

So it is London where support for Hamas and anti Israel, pro Palestine feeling is strongest by far. Scotland little different to the rest of the UK in views of Israel and Palestine
  • Options
    viewcode said:

This is where it starts. The slow, seductive slide into shock jockery and outrage media. You'll start laughing at ICE wankers and complaining about being cancelled. You'll end up as a Northern Alex Jones, mark my words... 😁
    Oh I hope so…
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Sean_F said:

How true is that?

39% of Labour voters want the government to be more critical of Israel but just 22% of UK voters overall want the government to be more critical of Israel.

It is Starmer therefore with the biggest problem, trying to balance Labour voters who want a more critical approach to Israel and swing voters who rejected Corbyn in 2019 who think the government has got the balance right
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It is just 3% more than the UK figure, London is a whopping 11% more wanting criticism of Israel than the UK figure.

So it is London where support for Hamas and anti Israel, pro Palestine feeling is strongest by far, Scotland little different to the rest of the UK in views of Israel and Palestine
    Not like you to dismiss three whole percentage points as trivial. Are you feeling all right? Maybe going down with covid or brucella?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,646
    Leon said:

It's the curse of HP.
    You should have been kinder to your old one.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It's also irrelevant. I don't think you can accuse him of not showing solidarity to the Jewish community and you'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel for him or his wife.
    https://twitter.com/ScotGovFM/status/1712836194436870589

First Minister
    @ScotGovFM
    First Minister
    @HumzaYousaf
    attended a service of prayer and solidarity last night with Scotland’s Jewish community.

Expressing sorrow for those who lost loved ones, he said
    @scotgov
    stands in solidarity with all communities in Scotland suffering the loss of innocent life.
    Indeed. Not sure if that was the same memorial service as the one mentioned in the link Bartholomew Roberts posted earlier, or a different one, but the burden is the same.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Leon said:

It's like parking fines, speeding fines et al....Dealing with a printer is just one of those life challenges that seem to impact on us all

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Crossover in mid-Beds on Betfair - Tories now favourites (just) over Labour. But a big liquidity gap has opened up - 2.24 to bet on the Tories, 2.56 to lay.
  • Options
    The Epoch Times is now the 4th-most subscribed to newspaper in America. Its revenue grew 685% in two years to $122 mill.

The paper is run by Falun Gong, a Chinese religious sect, and claims Jan. 6 and climate change are hoaxes.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1712830734510051616
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It's the curse of HP.
    You should have been kinder to your old one.
    Aucune preservatif?
  • Options
    As for the polling, a lot depends on what happens next.

At one extreme, there's a relatively precise surgical removal of Hamas. Though even that will lead to a lot of collateral damage, and a grim future for Gazan Palastinians.

At the other, there's wipe the place off the map.

The choices Israel decides to make matter for how they will be viewed afterwards.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,582
    edited October 2023
    FPT:
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12626877/Bus-lane-trap-catches-cars-large-hole-war-motorists.html

Specially for @Eabhal, @JosiasJessop and @MattW.

"Outraged motorists are blaming a local council after driving their cars into a trap guarding a bus lane which they say is writing off their cars.

Locals say up to five motorists a week are caught out by the pit in the carriageway, which they claim has been filled with weeds.

The trap is located at the junction of Station Road and Harrison Way in St Ives, Cambridgeshire, and is designed to prevent private cars from scooting through the bus lane."

Edit: the only disadvantage of this excellent idea is that the chaps with backless gloves end up blocking the bus lane. At least to begin with. You'd think they would cotton on sooner or later, with all those weeds growing in the middle of the road.

It should be a trapdoor perhaps?

I'll forward this on to my local councillor. Genius.
    Very difficult to counter this logical assessment:

"Cllr Kevin Reynolds from Cambridgeshire County Council has admitted he has little sympathy for the drivers who get stuck.

He said: 'If people driving along that road cannot see a big hole in the ground in front of them then I would argue they wouldn't be able to see a small child.

'I would question whether they should be behind the wheel at all.'"
    It's the St Ives, Cambs end of the Cambridge Guided Busway. The Daily Mail is just cranking up the outrage bus as per any day with D in it.

The Daily Mail has cropped out from it's photos the two huge "No Entry" signs, the "Danger ! Car trap" signs, and does not mention the two "No Through Road" signs set at the previous junction.

(Edit: Forget to mention the ginormous repeated "GUIDED BUSES ONLY" decals painted in the lane, which are so prominent near the lights that the Mail couldn't crop them.)

The main complainant says they have lived in St Ives for 15 years, and the road feature to physically stop twits (I'm being polite) driving their motor vehicles onto the guided busway has been in place since at least 2014 (and is on Streetview). Part of that is to save them from themselves.

There have been problems in the past with dozy drivers taking their cars up the guided busway and blocking it, and placing themselves and others at risk.

I'm inclined to suggest that the driver's license be revoked, or they submit themselves to an eyesight test at their optician. And probably be charged with Driving WIthout Due Care, which it is in spades, as they might not see a crowd of pedestrians next time.

I would be interested in a local view if anyone is on PB tonight.

Streetview, 2014
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3217158,-0.068605,3a,51.7y,121.81h,88.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVOgHsXVNv1kvxRo_JS3vzQ!2e0!5s20140901T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

• Options
    edited October 2023

I've been reluctant to comment on events in Israel/Gaza. But I have been very impressed by Antony Blinken, who happens to be Jewish himself. His efforts to use diplomacy to good ends throughout the region have been admirable, even if his words in the end fall on deaf ears. He's impressed me previously as well.

I read somewhere a few weeks ago on some US comment place or other that he was actually been lined up as a future POTUS runner by Dems.

Pity I can't recall where.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,689

Crossover in mid-Beds on Betfair - Tories now favourites (just) over Labour. But a big liquidity gap has opened up - 2.24 to bet on the Tories, 2.56 to lay.

If the result is something like Con 29%, Lab 28%, LD 27% I wonder whether any lessons will be learnt by the two opposition parties wrt future by-elections.
  • Options
    MattW said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12626877/Bus-lane-trap-catches-cars-large-hole-war-motorists.html

"Outraged motorists are blaming a local council after driving their cars into a trap guarding a bus lane which they say is writing off their cars.

Locals say up to five motorists a week are caught out by the pit in the carriageway, which they claim has been filled with weeds.

The trap is located at the junction of Station Road and Harrison Way in St Ives, Cambridgeshire, and is designed to prevent private cars from scooting through the bus lane."

Edit: the only disadvantage of this excellent idea is that the chaps with backless gloves end up blocking the bus lane. At least to begin with. You'd think they would cotton on sooner or later, with all those weeds growing in the middle of the road.

"Cllr Kevin Reynolds from Cambridgeshire County Council has admitted he has little sympathy for the drivers who get stuck.

He said: 'If people driving along that road cannot see a big hole in the ground in front of them then I would argue they wouldn't be able to see a small child.

It's the St Ives, Cambs end of the Cambridge Guided Busway. The Daily Mail is just cranking up he outrage bus as per any day with D in it.

The Daily Mail has cropped out from it's photos the two huge "No Entry" signs, the "Danger ! Car trap" signs, and does not mention the two "No Through Road" signs set at the previous junction.

(Edit: Forget to mention the ginormous "GUIDED BUSES ONLY" decals painted in the lane.)

The main complainant says they have lived in St Ives for 15 years, and the road feature to physically stop twits (I'm being polite) driving their motor vehicles onto the guided busway has been in place since at least 2014 (and is on Streetview). Part of that is to save them from themselves.

There have been problems in the past with dozy drivers taking their cars up the guided busway and blocking it.

I'm inclined to suggest that the driver's license be revoked, or they submit themselves to an eyesight test at their optician. And probably be charged with Driving WIthout Due Care, which it is in spades, and they might not see 10 or 20 pedestrians next time.

Streetview, 2014
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3217158,-0.068605,3a,51.7y,121.81h,88.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVOgHsXVNv1kvxRo_JS3vzQ!2e0!5s20140901T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

For sure, those weeds look like an XL porcupine on steroids, never mind a hedgehog! You'd think any sane driver would pause ...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If the result is something like Con 29%, Lab 28%, LD 27% I wonder whether any lessons will be learnt by the two opposition parties wrt future by-elections.
    Tories finishing 3rd
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450

Interesting observation. If something happened to Joe...He certainly seems more impressive than Kamala, and would be in striking contrast to Trump.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Oh I hope so…
    One issue is that your channel may eventually be imprisoned by your audience - both need to be equally high quality or it sucks. Good Youtube channels are a see-saw between the Youtuber and the community.

If you don't care, that is fine.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Leon said:

It's like parking fines, speeding fines et al....Dealing with a printer is just one of those life challenges that seem to impact on us all

Errr, I don't think printer trouble is a consequence of breaking the law.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

tyson said:

Leon said:

You don't know WHAT he's printing :smile:
  • Options
    Leon said:

Today I went into work. Printed some stuff. Brought it home.

Haven't owned a printer for at least 15 years.
  • Options

They already have Covid and Ukraine. How many more excuses do they need?
  • Options

The Tories will win, because of the hubris of the two opposition parties. Idiocy.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Chance would be a fine thing, Andy.
  • Options

They already have Covid and Ukraine. How many more excuses do they need?
    Loads.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

It's the St Ives, Cambs end of the Cambridge Guided Busway. The Daily Mail is just cranking up he outrage bus as per any day with D in it.

(Edit: Forget to mention the ginormous "GUIDED BUSES ONLY" decals painted in the lane.)

There have been problems in the past with dozy drivers taking their cars up the guided busway and blocking it.

I'm inclined to suggest that the driver's license be revoked, or they submit themselves to an eyesight test at their optician. And probably be charged with Driving WIthout Due Care, which it is in spades, and they might not see 10 or 20 pedestrians next time.

Streetview, 2014

For sure, those weeds look like an XL porcupine on steroids, never mind a hedgehog! You'd think any sane driver would pause ...
    There's also traffic lights. The busway wasn't there when I lived in St Ives, but surely they only go green when they detect a busway bus?
  • Options

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h
    Just did a talk to headteachers. One told me he has 40% of his families using his food bank every week. Another that they'd had five children taken into care just last week.

If the next government don't do something about rising deep poverty they're just pissing around tbh.

Sterilising the poor?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    edited October 2023

As for the polling, a lot depends on what happens next.

At one extreme, there's a relatively precise surgical removal of Hamas. Though even that will lead to a lot of collateral damage, and a grim future for Gazan Palastinians.

At the other, there's wipe the place off the map.

The choices Israel decides to make matter for how they will be viewed afterwards.

The vast majority of mainstream media reporting is from Israel rather than Gaza because of the obvious difficulties of reporting from Gaza, and because of the recency of the Hamas atrocities. It won't stay like that for long, and increasingly the dead babies on camera will be Palestinian.

I don't think Israel is too bothered what the world thinks about what is going on, at least not yet.

Already though opinion in the same poll as the header shows that even a plurality of Tories think that Israel doesn't try to avoid harming civilians.

• Options

Leon said:

A serviced work printer is one of life's small luxuries.
  • Options
    GF2GF2 Posts: 11

Sean_F said:

How true is that?

I gather a couple of Labour councillors on Oxford City resigned the party whip over Starmer's positioning on Israel/Hamas today. But I don't know whether they're outliers or the tip of a bigger iceberg.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    MattW said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

It's the St Ives, Cambs end of the Cambridge Guided Busway. The Daily Mail is just cranking up the outrage bus as per any day with D in it.

(Edit: Forget to mention the ginormous repeated "GUIDED BUSES ONLY" decals painted in the lane, which are so prominent near the lights that the Mail couldn't crop them.)

There have been problems in the past with dozy drivers taking their cars up the guided busway and blocking it, and placing themselves and others at risk.

I'm inclined to suggest that the driver's license be revoked, or they submit themselves to an eyesight test at their optician. And probably be charged with Driving WIthout Due Care, which it is in spades, as they might not see a crowd of pedestrians next time.

Streetview, 2014

Yes, anybody falling into the busway car traps shouldn't be on the road as they're either paying far too little attention or else think signs like "buses only" shouldn't apply to them. I am also sceptical of that "up to five motorists a week" figure...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Streetview, 2014

There's also traffic lights. The busway wasn't there when I lived in St Ives, but surely they only go green when they detect a busway bus?
    On traffic lights, you can get some that turn red when they detect a car approaching at more than the speed limit, incentivising drivers to approach more slowly.

A really clever way to enforce 20mph. @theDrake
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h
    Just did a talk to headteachers. One told me he has 40% of his families using his food bank every week. Another that they'd had five children taken into care just last week.

If the next government don't do something about rising deep poverty they're just pissing around tbh.

The problem is that inflation hits the very poorest the worst. I remember a few years ago there were cans of beans for 18p and loaves of bread for 50p. Now it is 50 p for a can of beans for 50p and a loaf of bread for £1... at least 100% inflation in each case. It just hits the basic cost of living the highest. Meanwhile those with wealth get interest on their savings and dont even notice the price rises.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Streetview, 2014

On traffic lights, you can get some that turn red when they detect a car approaching at more than the speed limit, incentivising drivers to approach more slowly.

A really clever way to enforce 20mph. @theDrake
    THE

D

R

A

K

E
  • Options

Lewis Goodall
    @lewis_goodall
    ·
    3h
    Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu: "I want to stress this is just the beginning, our enemies have only just started to pay the price."
  • Options
    Leon said:

Have you tried turning it off and then on again? 😁

Mine has a habit of going into deep sleep mode, which actually seems like more of a coma. Really hard to get it going again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

How true is that?

39% of Labour voters want the government to be more critical of Israel but just 22% of UK voters overall want the government to be more critical of Israel.

It is Starmer therefore with the biggest problem, trying to balance Labour voters who want a more critical approach to Israel and swing voters who rejected Corbyn in 2019 who think the government has got the balance right
    That doesn't tell you about the intensity of the support though.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h

The problem is that inflation hits the very poorest the worst. I remember a few years ago there were cans of beans for 18p and loaves of bread for 50p. Now it is 50 p for a can of beans for 50p and a loaf of bread for £1... at least 100% inflation in each case. It just hits the basic cost of living the highest. Meanwhile those with wealth get interest on their savings and dont even notice the price rises.
    ONS should do a 'basic cost of living' inflation figure as well as all this RPI and CPI malarkey.

Food. Energy.

Not sure what else. Rent? Mobile phone bills? What are the very basic costs of surviving?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

A serviced work printer is one of life's small luxuries.
    Like faux fur lined toilet seats.
  • Options

Leon said:

Have you tried turning it off and then on again? 😁

Mine has a habit of going into deep sleep mode, which actually seems like more of a coma. Really hard to get it going again.
    A common problem for men of a certain age.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h

Bread is more like 75p though.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    darkage said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h

It depends on how you fiddle the numbers, whether you include fuel as a staple, whether you present as percentage of disposable income etc. There has been very high inflation on some luxury goods too.

You're right about savings however. My pet theory about inflation is the stratospheric savings rates richer people had during COVID (no spending on fuel, holidays, restaurants) have been an important reason why demand has been so relentless.

This has turbocharged inequality - the furlough-class have no such savings to burn.
  • Options

darkage said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h

ONS should do a 'basic cost of living' inflation figure as well as all this RPI and CPI malarkey.

Food. Energy.

Not sure what else. Rent? Mobile phone bills? What are the very basic costs of surviving?
    Potatoes, rent, energy, council tax?
  • Options
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

Oh I hope so…
    One issue is that your channel may eventually be imprisoned by your audience - both need to be equally high quality or it sucks. Good Youtube channels are a see-saw between the Youtuber and the community.

I do not want to be Alex Jones…
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2023
    Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h

It depends on how you fiddle the numbers, whether you include fuel as a staple, whether you present as percentage of disposable income etc. There has been very high inflation on some luxury goods too.

You're right about savings however. My pet theory about inflation is the stratospheric savings rates richer people had during COVID (no spending on fuel, holidays, restaurants) have been an important reason why demand has been so relentless.

This has turbocharged inequality - the furlough-class have no such savings to burn.
    I don't think its a pet theory, I think it is absolutely the reality. The better off are overwhelmingly in jobs that allow for flexibility so many are continuing WFH at least several days a week, thus getting all the benefits of not having to pay to commute etc.

Where as at the bottom of the end, those people don't have these opportunities. It into work every day, as it was throughout COVID.
  • Options
    pm215 said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Streetview, 2014

Yes, anybody falling into the busway car traps shouldn't be on the road as they're either paying far too little attention or else think signs like "buses only" shouldn't apply to them. I am also sceptical of that "up to five motorists a week" figure...
    Probably 5 drivers in one particular week in 2014.

The Mail are specialists at not quite lying.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

tyson said:

Leon said:

You don't know WHAT he's printing :smile:
    At a guess, a picture of a meal.
  • Options

darkage said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    10h

Bread is more like 75p though.
    Not the stuff Mrs U buys....
  • Options
    edited October 2023

MattW said:

viewcode said:

Oh I hope so…

I do not want to be Alex Jones…
    Actually Alex Jones is being called as a witness in one of the Trump related trials.

Perhaps you can be Pi-di-Po?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Nigel Farage to bank with Lloyds after Coutts account closure

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/10/13/nigel-farage-bank-lloyds-coutts-account-closure/

They are going to have to send another email offering counselling to the staff.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    The Telegraph has obtained what it understands to be further footage shared with world leaders by Israel as it seeks to highlight the most horrific details of last weekend’s slaughter.

In one video, Hamas terrorists film themselves attempting to behead an Israeli man who appears to still be alive as he lies in a pool of his own blood.

Evidence of rape and the mutilation of dead bodies with eye gouging also appears in the video clips.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/13/israel-powerful-ground-offensive-elite-troops-gaza-hamas/

I am sure the tw@tterati will be going only one, isolated incident...
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    MattW said:

pm215 said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Streetview, 2014

Probably 5 drivers in one particular week in 2014.

The Mail are specialists at not quite lying.
    I wonder if the Mail will be reporting the incident yesterday morning when a driver got out of his car and assaulted a school run mum cycling her 8 and 9 year olds to school near the school, apparently because all the parked cars made a safe overtake impossible so she was cycling in primary position preventing him pushing through.

I got physically assaulted today whilst cycling to school with my 2 young children. The man assaulted me after telling my 2 children to go to school as his mom was going to get beat up. My kids are 8and 9 and this was on the same road as the primary school.
    https://road.cc/content/news/school-run-bike-mum-assaulted-driver-front-children-304475
  • Options
    Good grief. Nats taking it well

“Lisa Cameron, the SNP MP who defected to the Conservative party on Thursday, said she and her family have been forced to go into hiding in Scotland after she was threatened with being “bricked” in the street.

Cameron, her husband and their two daughters have moved to a secret location in the Scottish countryside after the MP was emailed threats of violence, including “I hope someone throws a brick at you in the street”, “I hope you burn” and “Think your mental health is bad now – wail til you see what abuse and nastiness yer [sic] going to have to put up with”.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/13/lisa-cameron-snp-mp-who-defected-to-tories-forced-into-hiding
  • Options

Any idea what's driving this? Has there been another poll? I thought Labour were looking nailed on.
  • Options
    Fuck Scottish Nationalism. Its vile
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,847
    It makes you want to weep .

Dreadful scenes after the IDF hit a convoy of cars heading south after heeding the warning to evacuate . Scenes from hospitals in northern Gaza just bring the chaos and misery home .

How are they going to move patients ?

On the same twitter feed NBC reporting on documents of some Hamas plans to inflict even more horror and to add to the feelgood factor a 95 year old Israeli man telling people to kill their Arab neighbours.

We truly are lucky to live where we do . Life is so often a lottery of where you are born .

Seeing the horror of what’s happening does put things into perspective.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The second word is superfluous.
  • Options
    Interesting... Is he interviewing a future FO Sec in about ten years time?

Lewis Goodall
    @lewis_goodall
    ·
    43m
    Alicia Kearns without doubt one of the most impressive MPs in this parliament.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1712952304952074698
  • Options
    nico679 said:

It makes you want to weep .

Dreadful scenes after the IDF hit a convoy of cars heading south after heeding the warning to evacuate . Scenes from hospitals in northern Gaza just bring the chaos and misery home .

How are they going to move patients ?

On the same twitter feed NBC reporting on documents of some Hamas plans to inflict even more horror and to add to the feelgood factor a 95 year old Israeli man telling people to kill their Arab neighbours.

We truly are lucky to live where we do . Life is so often a lottery of where you are born .

Seeing the horror of what’s happening does put things into perspective.

Indeed. Couple of times today when I have felt like screaming down the phone trying to deal with NHS bureaucrats over an outpatients appointment that never seems to happen I found myself saying 'at least I dont have to live in Gaza'.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Are we still dealing with your printer?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited October 2023
    On topic, I don't think this will be much of an issue in itself in the next general election, unless it escalates drastically, because there's probably at least a year until the election, no direct British interest there, no direct threat to NATO (unlike Russia in control of Ukraine), no vital policy issues for us, precious little difference between Sunak and Starmer and not much evidence that the British public will overcome its general insularity. Of course many Jews and Muslims (though by no means all of each) will care passionately, but they are a small part of the electorate and heavily concentrated geographically.

If things haven't calmed down by then it might fester "in the background", but there will be many such problems, and I can't see it affecting the outcome much either way.
This discussion has been closed.