Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A selection of the front pages as more horror stories seep out – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,260
    DavidL said:

maxh said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:
    And when (if) those 1.1 million have left and Israel has occupied Gaza City, will it withdraw and let them go back?
    The Palestinians won't believe so, as since 1948 that's not tended to be the case.
    Which is of course one of the reasons why 'Egypt should just take them all' isn't likely to be an easy solution.

It might seem odd to us to be so passionately attached to somewhere like Gaza, but many are.
    There won't be anything much left in Gaza to be attached to. Hamas are not these poor downtrodden innocents imprisoned by the beastly Jew (ssshhhhh don't mention Egypt). The are genocidal terrorist psychopaths.

Like ISIS before them they need to be eradicated. That means killing most of them. Because they aren't going to just give up or reform - like Jake and Ellwood they are on a Mission from God. They have no interest in the innocents in Gaza other than using them as human shields. And as for Egypt and the rest - they have no interest in the civilians either. They are political pawns left to suffer *by them* for regional points scoring.,

This has to end. The status quo can't be sustained, there is no viable status quo ante to wind the clock back to. We need a long-term solution for the diaspora issue and with respect to Egypt and Jordan and Syria their mission of leaving people in multi-generational refugee camps as Someone Else's Problem is also over.

Israel has demonstrated in recent years that it wants diplomatic solutions. Reaching out to make all kinds of previously unlikely alliances. But if diplomacy doesn't work, it will impose a settlement militarily. And as wounded as it is, and as armed as it is, woe betide any of the powers around it who think they still get to disrupt this.
    Genuine, not loaded question.
    Why is your and others’ entirely appropriate horror at the actions of Hamas not matched by a horror of indiscriminate bombing and killing of civilians in Gaza?
    I can think of a few reasons, and am trying to understand whether my moral equivalence between a civilian Palestinian death and a civilian Israeli one is mistaken.
    How do you justify this to yourself? (Again, this sounds loaded, it isn’t).
    I think the short answer is that evil bastards who behead babies in their cribs deserve everything that is coming to them.
    Still murderers of civilian's on both sides should get same treatment David. There have been issues from both sides in past years which have led to this horrific mess. We are seeing plenty of pictures of children in tatters and dead babies from Gaza now as well. None of it makes it right.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,153

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

maxh said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:
    And when (if) those 1.1 million have left and Israel has occupied Gaza City, will it withdraw and let them go back?
    The Palestinians won't believe so, as since 1948 that's not tended to be the case.
    Which is of course one of the reasons why 'Egypt should just take them all' isn't likely to be an easy solution.

It might seem odd to us to be so passionately attached to somewhere like Gaza, but many are.
    There won't be anything much left in Gaza to be attached to. Hamas are not these poor downtrodden innocents imprisoned by the beastly Jew (ssshhhhh don't mention Egypt). The are genocidal terrorist psychopaths.

Like ISIS before them they need to be eradicated. That means killing most of them. Because they aren't going to just give up or reform - like Jake and Ellwood they are on a Mission from God. They have no interest in the innocents in Gaza other than using them as human shields. And as for Egypt and the rest - they have no interest in the civilians either. They are political pawns left to suffer *by them* for regional points scoring.,

This has to end. The status quo can't be sustained, there is no viable status quo ante to wind the clock back to. We need a long-term solution for the diaspora issue and with respect to Egypt and Jordan and Syria their mission of leaving people in multi-generational refugee camps as Someone Else's Problem is also over.

Israel has demonstrated in recent years that it wants diplomatic solutions. Reaching out to make all kinds of previously unlikely alliances. But if diplomacy doesn't work, it will impose a settlement militarily. And as wounded as it is, and as armed as it is, woe betide any of the powers around it who think they still get to disrupt this.
    Why is your and others’ entirely appropriate horror at the actions of Hamas not matched by a horror of indiscriminate bombing and killing of civilians in Gaza?
    I can think of a few reasons, and am trying to understand whether my moral equivalence between a civilian Palestinian death and a civilian Israeli one is mistaken.
    Let me ask you two questions. Again not loaded.

1. Do you think Israel should defend itself against Hamas so as to prevent what happened on Saturday from happening again?

2. If so, how?
    It's noticeable that the only answer to maxh's question so far has been that "evil bastards who behead babies in their cribs deserve everything that is coming to them", which is absolutely nonsensical, given that the question was about civilians in Gaza.

Would it be any easier to answer another question - are you horrified by the casualties among civilians in Gaza?

Well Hamas' former deputy did say that the kidnaps and other atrocities were done by civilians who followed Hamas into Israel, so maybe they are not so innocent after all.
    The whole civilian population of Gaza went into Israel and committed atrocities?

Aren't people in the least embarrassed to say such utterly stupid things?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

maxh said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I think the short answer is that evil bastards who behead babies in their cribs deserve everything that is coming to them.
    Indeed. But that doesn't apply to the vast majority of people who are now dying in Gaza. So Max's question still stands.
    The moment Israel decides that any level of collateral damage is unacceptable is the moment Israel ceases to exist because Hamas already trap civilians on all of their terrorist outposts to ensure there is always collateral damage to civilians and civilian infrastructure.
    In case you missed it my argument is not that there will be no collatoral damage. It has been with some on here (Bart especially) who claim that that Israel should drive the whole of Gaza into the sea and that there are no limits to acceptable civilian deaths as long as Hamas are destroyed.

As others have pointed out Bart is encouraging genocide as the answer to Israel's problems without realising that it is exactly that cycle of violence which has perpetuated this war for the last 75 years.
    You really are the voice of reason on this issue, Richard. I'm too busy with work to post much at the moment, but I agree wholeheartedly with every post of yours that I've seen on these terrible events.
    I'd go along with that - but I have to acknowledge that I cannot (and I suspect nether can Richard) come up with any particularly good solutions. And in any event, at this point Israel will do what it will do.
    With the US trying to excercise a modicum of restraint and trying to ensure it does not spill over into a wider conflict.

Which must be the main worry now. The West Bank and the North of Israel/Hezbollah also getting involved and Israel having war on 3 fronts.
    No doubt it will be the usual US ham fisted gung ho attempt.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,280
    It is now not possible to avoid seeing explicit pictures of harrowing violence and murder.

I just checked the Britain Elects Twix feed to check the latest polling, on it was a picture of a murdered infant.

My guess is that most people wish to avoid this stuff. Why are we being pushed it?
  • Options

Leon said:

Taz said:

Irish politics has not distinguished itself over this conflict.
    The most virulent pro-Hamas western voices are so often Irish. It’s quite noticeable. A fair few Scot Nats and Welsh nutters too, so it’s a Celtic thing

But the Irish lead the way
    Because we ruled Ireland and also ruled Palestine.

That simple, I think.
    Still ruling Scotland and badly.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,288
    I've seen a lot of shit these last 18 months.

But the sheer stupidity of RU actions in Avdiivka, Pisky area is astounding.

I've never seen such lack of disregard for soldiers. Running straight line human waves. Bodies stacked ontop of each other in fields, armor running over the deceased to get through.

The RU losses have to be extremely high. As in the thousands already and only from 3-4 days of fighting. And it's not just mobiks, it's vdv, dpr, & contract units. Just being thrown to slaughter in hopes Ukrainian positions run out of ammunition.

https://twitter.com/IhateTrenches/status/1712764030249513333
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

The most virulent pro-Hamas western voices are so often Irish. It’s quite noticeable. A fair few Scot Nats and Welsh nutters too, so it’s a Celtic thing

There was a particular awful comment from a Scottish Green MSP.
    Maggie Chapman is an excrescence.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Sinn Fein and their supporters see themselves as "oppressed" like the Palestinians. Also, the old belief that the Jews killed Christ.
    In a strange way I have to admire the way Irish republicans who are at heart anti american manage to keep the US on board. They rarely get called out,
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,371
    edited October 2023
    British artillery guns supplied to Ukraine are falling silent on the battlefield because of a lack of ammunition for them, front line troops have told The Telegraph.

Ukrainian soldiers trained by Nato on L119 howitzers have been reduced to firing them less than once a day because of a “catastrophic” shortage of shells.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/13/british-howitzers-ukraine-shells-shortage-soldiers-nato/

I watched a video with a journalist who had been to the front line a few weeks ago and apparently there are issues with supplies from the West, but there are also serious issues with internal politics of Ukrainian military about who gets what, when.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,573
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

maxh said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Still murderers of civilian's on both sides should get same treatment David. There have been issues from both sides in past years which have led to this horrific mess. We are seeing plenty of pictures of children in tatters and dead babies from Gaza now as well. None of it makes it right.
    Murderers I agree. But there is a moral difference between cutting a child's throat and, for example, firing at a school being used by gunmen even when it has civilians or even children in it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I've never seen such lack of disregard for soldiers. Running straight line human waves. Bodies stacked ontop of each other in fields, armor running over the deceased to get through.

The RU losses have to be extremely high. As in the thousands already and only from 3-4 days of fighting. And it's not just mobiks, it's vdv, dpr, & contract units. Just being thrown to slaughter in hopes Ukrainian positions run out of ammunition.

Some good news !
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,471
    Nigelb said:

A great example of the sort of tolerance of antisemitism among those who would never stand for racism against other minorities....

A few years ago, as part of a campaign to raise aware of rising antisemitism in Europe, a Jewish guy walked around Paris wearing the kippah with a hidden camera, not saying anything, just walking around different neighbourhoods and recording the reactions.

He was abused, spat on, threatened, etc etc etc.

Interviewed by Adrian Chiles on BBC, Chiles took him to task saying but weren't you asking for it, particularly going into certain neighbourhoods and doubted his claims that he did nothing more than walk around i.e. insinuating that he was provoking such reactions.

The guy released all 10hrs of footage, unedited.

Chiles was at it again yesterday on the radio stating in the form of a question had the American's told Israel they could just "do their worst" to the Palestinians.

This kind of stuff would never be tolerated against other minorities.

Chiles is not a great example of anything except the answer to "what is a numpty ?"
    He’s a keen supporter of West Brom. People may not know. He keeps quiet about it.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 863
    Cyclefree said:

maxh said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Let me ask you two questions. Again not loaded.

1. Do you think Israel should defend itself against Hamas so as to prevent what happened on Saturday from happening again?

2. If so, how?
    1. 100% yes. It would be utterly intolerable for them to do anything else.

2. At the moment I can’t see a better option than an occupation. My caveat, for what it is worth, is that the IDF should be prepared to accept military casualties on their own side rather than perpetrate civilian casualties needlessly. I recognise this is a very difficult ask, which is part of why what Hamas does (using civilian shields) is so reprehensible. I think it is incumbent on the more powerful side to be more restrained, esp given they effectively have a blank cheque from USA.

Bigger picture, though, is that my issue with your position is the question you’re not asking: do you think that, by accident of birth, a baby or child in Gaza should be more expendable than one in Israel?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,890
    Taz said:

Or in other matters:

Well, OK, sure. But the 150,000 people who have arrived from Hong Kong and the £5bn in aid for Ukraine are two reasonably significant data points to the contrary. So, you know, it's complicated.

UK is "disengaging from the world" says Irish PM @LeoVaradkar #Taoiseach #EPC #Brexit #ECHR

https://x.com/alexmassie/status/1710297727601393917?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

I think Haley is value for the GOP nomination. It still requires a LOT to change before the primary season, but she feels the most credible challenger if Trump falters. DeSantis is a busted flush IMHO.

Pence more likely, Haley is the GOP Jeremy Hunt
    Pence is 810 on bf to win election (230 for nominee).
    Nikki Haley is 25 on bf to win election. My money is on her (and Michelle). Both outsiders but value in my opinion.
    Pence is more likely to win Iowa with evangelicals than Haley, indeed Christie is a better bet in NH, she might have a shot in SC but the Florida is DeSantis' turf
    The most recent Iowa poll has Haley on 11% and Pence on 1%. That's a fairly extreme case, but other polls have also put her a reasonably clear third.

Either would need to get a lot of movement to win the thing or create a near-miss shock. But if trying to do it, I'd rather be in Haley's position of having about 10% than Pence's position of being nowhere (and it's not like he's an up-and-coming sort trying to get his voice heard - he's very much a known quantity).

Similarly, most polls have Haley a distant second in New Hampshire. Christie will clearly get some votes there as it is reasonably close to his turf, but his campaign is so aggressively anti-Trump that there is a pretty hard ceiling on that as GOP voters quite obviously like Trump.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,890
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

That simple, I think.
    Still ruling Scotland and badly.
    Oh you don't need any help to do that......
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Sinn Fein and their supporters see themselves as "oppressed" like the Palestinians. Also, the old belief that the Jews killed Christ.
    In a strange way I have to admire the way Irish republicans who are at heart anti american manage to keep the US on board. They rarely get called out,
    Why are Irish Republican's anti-American? Genuine question.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

I had to Google that, I’m no dunce either. That’s a great word and most apt.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Eabhal said:

MaxPB said:

Allegedly an Israeli diplomat has just been stabbed in Beijing. There's a fairly graphic video of the fight, but no idea when it was filmed, or if it shows what is claimed...

The day of jihad has started.
    All unconfirmed at the moment.

I hope Sunak has CTSFO/special forces hovering near the Jewish community in London though.
    It’s an absolute fucking disgrace that in 2023 citizens of this country should have to pull their children out of school, be in fear and need armed protection from another set of citizens of this country.

I’m sure I will get abuse but I cannot not say that if you live in a country, hate what it stands for, hate it’s freedoms, hate fellow citizens to the point of violence because of their heritage or religion and want to turn it into a completely different country alien to centuries of enlightenment then please please fuck off and live in a country where the laws, customs and attitudes exist that you wish for.

Where you been the last 20 years, it is a shithole and has been for ages. They have kow towed to any halfwit that whined about what they wanted and their rights etc etc whilst praising themselves for all the lovely integration and multiculturism and pandering to nutters.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,228
    Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

I had to Google "Maggie Chapman". I am sometimes very naive.
  • Options

Leon said:

Taz said:

That simple, I think.
    'We'?
    He means England
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,848
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Allegedly an Israeli diplomat has just been stabbed in Beijing. There's a fairly graphic video of the fight, but no idea when it was filmed, or if it shows what is claimed...

A member of staff at the Israeli embassy in Beijing was assaulted on Friday, the Israel foreign ministry said in a statement. The person was in stable condition and is being treated in hospital, Reuters reports the statement said.
    Guardian.
    The video is weird. The assailant seems to be western and quite old. Not the usual
    I'd hesitate to ascribe anything to Hamas's pitiful "global day of jihad" without firm evidence.
    Probably doesn’t feel that “pitiful” to the family of the dead French teacher

I didn't call the attack pitiful.

But it's hardly the first such attack in France, and trying to big up the propaganda of a vile terrorist organisation which has little reach outside of its region seems foolish to me.
    You what?! There are enormous demos all over the world. From Paris to Baghdad
  • Options

It is now not possible to avoid seeing explicit pictures of harrowing violence and murder.

I just checked the Britain Elects Twix feed to check the latest polling, on it was a picture of a murdered infant.

My guess is that most people wish to avoid this stuff. Why are we being pushed it?

They are trying to aclimatise you to the next 2 or 3 weeks of it getting much worse.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Crazy , huge lines of tanks and armoured vehicles trundling down the roads getting splattered one after the other, how stupid and bizarre.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

I think Haley is value for the GOP nomination. It still requires a LOT to change before the primary season, but she feels the most credible challenger if Trump falters. DeSantis is a busted flush IMHO.

Nikki Haley is 25 on bf to win election. My money is on her (and Michelle). Both outsiders but value in my opinion.
    Pence is more likely to win Iowa with evangelicals than Haley, indeed Christie is a better bet in NH, she might have a shot in SC but the Florida is DeSantis' turf
    The most recent Iowa poll has Haley on 11% and Pence on 1%. That's a fairly extreme case, but other polls have also put her a reasonably clear third.

Either would need to get a lot of movement to win the thing or create a near-miss shock. But if trying to do it, I'd rather be in Haley's position of having about 10% than Pence's position of being nowhere (and it's not like he's an up-and-coming sort trying to get his voice heard - he's very much a known quantity).

Similarly, most polls have Haley a distant second in New Hampshire. Christie will clearly get some votes there as it is reasonably close to his turf, but his campaign is so aggressively anti-Trump that there is a pretty hard ceiling on that as GOP voters quite obviously like Trump.
    Where the evangelical vote goes tends to win Iowa GOP caucuses where there is no incumbent GOP President eg in 2000 W Bush won, in 2008 Huckabee won, in 2012 Santorum won, in 2016 Cruz won. All except Bush won it late by grassroots campaigning and a hardline message on social issues.

Pence is the most hardline against abortion in the race and has plenty of time to get that across still in Iowa
  • Options
    Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

In masonic first degree ritual, there's a reference to "superfluous knobs and excrescences", which sums her up even better.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Why are Irish Republican's anti-American? Genuine question.
    They tend to side with the Hamas\PLO\Iran \Russia side of life. They quite often criticise US policy across the world and any US "interference" in Ireland. It's more of a purist position on nobody's going to tell Ireland what to do and every so often they like to make a point about it.

The States has a funny relationship with Ireland - mostly due to voting on the East Coast. Politicians want to sap up Irish votes a a bit of green tub thumping helps. Whether this will continue remains to be seen. Irish votes have been seeping across to the GOP in recent years and third generation Irish Americans are now increasingly just American, Likewise the whole fight the brits schtick had to close shop after 9/11,
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

That simple, I think.
    'We'?
    He means England
    Seemed an odd turn of phrase to me. The issue was the alleged support of Irish people for the Hamas terrorist group, who are currently in a conflict with the state of Israel. I couldn't see where 'we' came into it.
  • Options
    Powerful

"How are you allowing this? They want us dead!"

Jewish students confront the University of Washington after student organizations held a pro-Hamas rally on campus. #HamasIsISIS

https://x.com/hananyanaftali/status/1712724898202730756?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Powerful

Jewish students confront the University of Washington after student organizations held a pro-Hamas rally on campus. #HamasIsISIS

https://x.com/hananyanaftali/status/1712724898202730756?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Strange how these US universities normally go to the nth degree to close down any potential offense caused by anybody....siding with nutters about Halloween party clothing that could be offensive, suspending Professors who tried to explain that the Mandarin filler word for ummm sounds rather like an highly offensive slur in English and you will hear this when you visit China.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,957
    Leon said:

Let’s not all jump to conclusions just because some Arab-looking madman with a knife is killing teachers while shouting Allahu Akbar on the official Hamas “day of Jihad”

Could easily be a dispute over lunch money

They are not shouting Allahu Akbar

They are actually shouting “Alan’s Snackbar”

This was a semi-mythical shop, next to Glasgow railway station, selling the best bacon butties *possible*. At least in this universe.

After it’s closure (rent rise by landlord), fanatical sandwich eaters around the world have entered a psychotic state.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Powerful

Jo Malone, of the expensive perfume fame, issued a statement earlier.

Had to, especially after her son was behind this

https://nypost.com/2023/10/12/jo-malones-son-is-organizer-for-harvard-palestinian-group-behind-anti-israel-letter/

Hopefully students like this, who are usually so keen to cancel those with wrongthink, will suffer consequences for their stupidity.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338
    Leon said:

Let’s not all jump to conclusions just because some Arab-looking madman with a knife is killing teachers while shouting Allahu Akbar on the official Hamas “day of Jihad”

Could easily be a dispute over lunch money

Incidentally, the teacher from Batley is still in hiding.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 863
    MattW said:

Sean_F said:

maxh said:

maxh said:

1,500 Palestinians dead.
    1,200 Israelis dead.
    1.1 million Palestinians forcibly displaced if Israel’s warning is heeded.
    400,000 already displaced.
    6000 bombs dropped on Gaza.
    What is it about the current situation that makes a civilian Israeli life worth more than a civilian Palestinian one to justify such numbers?

Civilian lives are equal. Always have been, always will be.

The problem for Gaza's civilians is that they elected psychopaths as their government and continue to support them and continue to educate their children in the just cause that is genocide against the Jew.

Hamas have done things over the last week that are incomprehensible. And will be crushed as a result. Some of the innocent civilians will be as appalled as the rest of civilisation is - we need to get them out of harms way. Others celebrate.

So what do we do? Say "Free Palestine" where Palestine is a terror state run by elected genocidal psychopaths. Free it to do what? I want to save Palestine. We saved Germany and the free world by bombing it into submission and the nazi leaders into their graves. The same is coming for Gaza. Which is why the innocent civilians should head south.

Here then is the challenge for Egypt and the Arab world. A significant number of people are going to flee to the border, whether voluntarily now or running for their lives shortly. You say "Free Palestine". But are you going to continue to imprison them and leave them to die at the hands of Hamas?

Because that is the truth. The people who want to slaughter the citizens of Gaza are not the IDF. It is Hamas. And I am told to provide succour to psychopaths? No.
    Thanks for a thoughtful answer even though it is clear from your posts that you feel passionately about this.

The problem for Gaza's civilians is that they elected psychopaths In 2007 or so, yes. And I can see that the nation/state of Gaza bears responsibility for this. I find it hard to ascribe responsibility for this situation to the current population of Gaza, especially given the median age and proportion of the country too young to have voted in 2007.

continue to educate their children in the just cause that is genocide against the Jew. Whereas this statement indicates much more current responsibility for the extremism of Hamas amongst the population as a whole. I haven’t heard this claim before and can’t immediately verify it. Do you have a reliable source?

You say "Free Palestine" Sadly, it has been a good few years since I have been idealistic enough to sign up to pithy slogans. My view is basically that civilians are rarely to blame for the actions of their governments, and this is more true for Palestinians in Gaza than it is for Israelis because of the relative recency of elections. I can see the intractable problem Israel currently faces and don’t see another

DavidL said:

maxh said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

There's another angle to this as well: Hamas's actions last weekend were straight out of ISIS's playbook. I'm not Jewish, but there's no way I'd feel safe living under Hamas control in the West Bank, or any territory they controlled, as I'm not Muslim. In fact, you're in trouble if you're a Shia Muslim (AIUI Hezbollah is mainly Sunni).

But if you're Christian, or gay, or female - then I'd much rather live in Israel than under any of these sh*ts.
    Thanks both for the replies. I’m with Foxy on this - Hamas themselves deserve whatever revenge Israel can mete out.

The tricky question for me is the impact on civilians. I’m sympathetic to the comparisons with Germany in WW2 - a regime needed annihilating and there was no way to avoid civilian deaths. Turning that to Gaza I can quite imagine that Hamas are happy to use hospitals, schools etc as civilian shields.

Yet many on here seem to go further, identifying all Gazans with Hamas and holding them responsible.

If the line is ‘Israel needs to do this and there is no way to do so without killling innocents’, I can understand that, though am deeply uneasy. If the line is ‘Gazans are getting what is coming to them for electing Hamas back in 2007 or so’ I think that is blind, indiscriminate hatred that is morally equivalent to violent antisemitism
    That, too, is a very thoughtful response.
    Picking this paragraph for comment on such material in education curricula:

continue to educate their children in the just cause that is genocide against the Jew. Whereas this statement indicates much more current responsibility for the extremism of Hamas amongst the population as a whole. I haven’t heard this claim before and can’t immediately verify it. Do you have a reliable source?

Education systems including material demonising the Jew, defining the Jew as like various animals, the elimination of Israel aka "The Zionist Entity", and so on, have been parts of education curricula in some places in the Middle East for generations. There have been occasional reports in Western media going back to - to my memory - the 1980s; one of the reasons I have taken an interest in these is because I lived in BD7 for several years whilst at University back then.

One challenge is that such teaching can be based on elements of orthodox Islam, but so can more tolerant narratives.

Occasionally we have had scandals in this country when such material turns up in Mosques, Madrasas (using the term to indicate Islam-based outside school education classes - Muslim 'Sunday Schools') or Schools.

Here's a Guardian report on the content of a BBC Panorama from 2010, for example. Note the reference to the Saudi Arabian curriculum:
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/nov/22/bbc-panorama-islamic-schools-antisemitism

One route where this type of approach gained a foothold in the UK was Imams funded by countries such as Saudi Arabia being appointed to new and small UK Mosques established in the 1970s.
    Just spotted this - thanks for the response.
    If as widespread as you say (and I am not doubting that) its a huge problem for Islam as a religion.
    Bringing it back to the current context, I would nevertheless find it difficult to hold Gazans uniquely responsible for this content if it is a widespread issue in Islamic faith schools. It is very hard for us humans to constantly fight against our cultural biases and prejudices (NOT justifying the teaching of antisemitism in any way btw)
    i.e. in the context of trying to understand whether Gazan civilians are in any way a more legitimate part of this conflict than Israeli ones, I don't think this gets us much further.
    Nevertheless, I've learnt something (deeply troubling) so, thanks.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Crazy , huge lines of tanks and armoured vehicles trundling down the roads getting splattered one after the other, how stupid and bizarre.
    Reminiscent of 1914 - the German commanders were desperate to keep to their timetable. At the Belgian forts, the bodies piled up so high, that they obstructed fields of fire. So the Belgians would sally, at night, to topple the piles of the dead.

If it hadn’t been for the 420s, layered concrete with no reinforcing and duff toilets, the Belgians might have held forever.

As it was, they stuffed the German timetable.

• Options

Leon said:

Powerful

Strange how these US universities normally go to the nth degree to close down any potential offense caused by anybody....siding with nutters about Halloween party clothing that could be offensive, suspending Professors who tried to explain that the Mandarin filler word for ummm sounds rather like an highly offensive slur in English and you will hear this when you visit China.
    It is bizarre.
    This is the correct liberal academic response.

Harvard’s response to this sickening student response to Hamas’s terrorism is inexcusably weak. Israel’s treatment of Palestinians has been abominable, but blaming Israel for the atrocities by Hamas is evil. Harvard must step up and stop equivocating.
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1711843501028057549
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

In masonic first degree ritual, there's a reference to "superfluous knobs and excrescences", which sums her up even better.
    After a quick bit of googling, I now know that Freemasonry actually has indepth knowledge of how to build using stone and the proper tools and knowledge thereof. Given the name I should have worked this out by myself (I know, duh!), but I'm quite impressed. As secret societies go it seems remarkably applicable to real-world problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

• Options
    maxh said:

MattW said:

Sean_F said:

maxh said:

maxh said:

1,500 Palestinians dead.
    1,200 Israelis dead.
    1.1 million Palestinians forcibly displaced if Israel’s warning is heeded.
    400,000 already displaced.
    6000 bombs dropped on Gaza.
    What is it about the current situation that makes a civilian Israeli life worth more than a civilian Palestinian one to justify such numbers?

Civilian lives are equal. Always have been, always will be.

The problem for Gaza's civilians is that they elected psychopaths as their government and continue to support them and continue to educate their children in the just cause that is genocide against the Jew.

Hamas have done things over the last week that are incomprehensible. And will be crushed as a result. Some of the innocent civilians will be as appalled as the rest of civilisation is - we need to get them out of harms way. Others celebrate.

So what do we do? Say "Free Palestine" where Palestine is a terror state run by elected genocidal psychopaths. Free it to do what? I want to save Palestine. We saved Germany and the free world by bombing it into submission and the nazi leaders into their graves. The same is coming for Gaza. Which is why the innocent civilians should head south.

Here then is the challenge for Egypt and the Arab world. A significant number of people are going to flee to the border, whether voluntarily now or running for their lives shortly. You say "Free Palestine". But are you going to continue to imprison them and leave them to die at the hands of Hamas?

Because that is the truth. The people who want to slaughter the citizens of Gaza are not the IDF. It is Hamas. And I am told to provide succour to psychopaths? No.
    Thanks for a thoughtful answer even though it is clear from your posts that you feel passionately about this.

The problem for Gaza's civilians is that they elected psychopaths In 2007 or so, yes. And I can see that the nation/state of Gaza bears responsibility for this. I find it hard to ascribe responsibility for this situation to the current population of Gaza, especially given the median age and proportion of the country too young to have voted in 2007.

You say "Free Palestine" Sadly, it has been a good few years since I have been idealistic enough to sign up to pithy slogans. My view is basically that civilians are rarely to blame for the actions of their governments, and this is more true for Palestinians in Gaza than it is for Israelis because of the relative recency of elections. I can see the intractable problem Israel currently faces and don’t see another

DavidL said:

maxh said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

There's another angle to this as well: Hamas's actions last weekend were straight out of ISIS's playbook. I'm not Jewish, but there's no way I'd feel safe living under Hamas control in the West Bank, or any territory they controlled, as I'm not Muslim. In fact, you're in trouble if you're a Shia Muslim (AIUI Hezbollah is mainly Sunni).

But if you're Christian, or gay, or female - then I'd much rather live in Israel than under any of these sh*ts.
    Thanks both for the replies. I’m with Foxy on this - Hamas themselves deserve whatever revenge Israel can mete out.

The tricky question for me is the impact on civilians. I’m sympathetic to the comparisons with Germany in WW2 - a regime needed annihilating and there was no way to avoid civilian deaths. Turning that to Gaza I can quite imagine that Hamas are happy to use hospitals, schools etc as civilian shields.

Yet many on here seem to go further, identifying all Gazans with Hamas and holding them responsible.

If the line is ‘Israel needs to do this and there is no way to do so without killling innocents’, I can understand that, though am deeply uneasy. If the line is ‘Gazans are getting what is coming to them for electing Hamas back in 2007 or so’ I think that is blind, indiscriminate hatred that is morally equivalent to violent antisemitism
    That, too, is a very thoughtful response.
    Picking this paragraph for comment on such material in education curricula:

Education systems including material demonising the Jew, defining the Jew as like various animals, the elimination of Israel aka "The Zionist Entity", and so on, have been parts of education curricula in some places in the Middle East for generations. There have been occasional reports in Western media going back to - to my memory - the 1980s; one of the reasons I have taken an interest in these is because I lived in BD7 for several years whilst at University back then.

One challenge is that such teaching can be based on elements of orthodox Islam, but so can more tolerant narratives.

Occasionally we have had scandals in this country when such material turns up in Mosques, Madrasas (using the term to indicate Islam-based outside school education classes - Muslim 'Sunday Schools') or Schools.

Here's a Guardian report on the content of a BBC Panorama from 2010, for example. Note the reference to the Saudi Arabian curriculum:
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/nov/22/bbc-panorama-islamic-schools-antisemitism

One route where this type of approach gained a foothold in the UK was Imams funded by countries such as Saudi Arabia being appointed to new and small UK Mosques established in the 1970s.
    Just spotted this - thanks for the response.
    If as widespread as you say (and I am not doubting that) its a huge problem for Islam as a religion.
    Bringing it back to the current context, I would nevertheless find it difficult to hold Gazans uniquely responsible for this content if it is a widespread issue in Islamic faith schools. It is very hard for us humans to constantly fight against our cultural biases and prejudices (NOT justifying the teaching of antisemitism in any way btw)
    i.e. in the context of trying to understand whether Gazan civilians are in any way a more legitimate part of this conflict than Israeli ones, I don't think this gets us much further.
    Nevertheless, I've learnt something (deeply troubling) so, thanks.
    The anger with which MEMRI was greeted is interesting.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Have to say that last night's thread was an absolute classic: HYUFD extolling the relative merits of the Nuremburg Rallies and then Leon proclaiming him a 'genius' before denouncing booze and porn.

Oh? What was so great about the rallies? The catering? The visual design?
    @HYUFD absolutely did not praise the Nuremberg rallies per se. It was an argument about the benefits and virtues of religious faith. Actually quite a sensitive and philosophical debate for post lagershed PB

Someone praised humanism and @HYUFD rightly scoffed at it saying it lacked the mystique, theatre and majesty of great religion, and that even the Nuremberg rallies or tawdry modern Anglicanism were more compelling than the dreary rituals of humanism

So Herr Head of the Chief Office of Construction Speer gets five stars on PB, then. Not so much, the happy clappy wing of the C of E.

But it might have escaped notice that humanism, and quite a few religions, reject ritual as leading to error.

(And thanks for the reply - I was wondering.)
    Yes and the whole point was without religious ritual the ritual of ultra nationalism becomes more attractive as an alternative
    The sort most prevalent today in the right wing of the Tory Party, which also utterly refuses to abandon the theocratic elements of the UK state and demands high church ritual for the inauguration of the Head of State? Ok, if you say so.
    Actually not so true anymore, especially given the Bishops frequent votes against government policy on asylum etc. Though I myself strongly back the established church and Parish system.

However yes if you don't have mystique and high ceremonial religion people will seek other outlets for their passions.

And of course the most extreme religion today is non established ultra evangelical Christianity and non established militant Islam, the established C of E is hardly going around fermenting terrorism is it!
    Fomenting.
  • Options

Leon said:

Powerful

Perhaps if Hamas had used the wrong pronouns or culturally misappropriated some Israeli culture they’d be moved to act.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,639
    President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia on Friday criticized a possible Israeli ground operation in Gaza using heavy military equipment as “semi-professional.”

NY Times blog

Well, he would know all about that.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

After a quick bit of googling, I now know that Freemasonry actually has indepth knowledge of how to build using stone and the proper tools and knowledge thereof. Given the name I should have worked this out by myself (I know, duh!), but I'm quite impressed. As secret societies go it seems remarkably applicable to real-world problems.

Probably because it creates most of them.
  • Options

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia on Friday criticized a possible Israeli ground operation in Gaza using heavy military equipment as “semi-professional.”

NY Times blog

Speaking of which, Russia has found yet another way to dispose of its prison population.

https://nitter.net/IhateTrenches/status/1712764030249513333#m

Human wave attacks. In 2023. Lord above... :open_mouth:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338
    This video from 2010 of an exchange between David Horowitz and a student at the University of California is quite chilling. Watch to the end.

https://x.com/kevin__mcmahon/status/1711833732036862198
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

She was one of the members of the Holyrood committee that ruled out flying the Israeli flag at the Scottish Parliament. Given the SNP enthusiasm for flags that was quite a message for Scotland's Jewish community.
  • Options
    Guardian on Yousaf and his conference plans…

“which include changing the required mandate to open negotiations with Westminster from winning “the most” to “the majority” of seats at the general election, “

Am I reading that right or is Yousaf getting his English wrong? I wonder if the word he is really looking for is “plurality”
  • Options
    Leon said:

“which include changing the required mandate to open negotiations with Westminster from winning “the most” to “the majority” of seats at the general election, “

Am I reading that right or is Yousaf getting his English wrong? I wonder if the word he is really looking for is “plurality”

"Most" includes a plurality; "the majority" would exclude it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Have to say that last night's thread was an absolute classic: HYUFD extolling the relative merits of the Nuremburg Rallies and then Leon proclaiming him a 'genius' before denouncing booze and porn.

@HYUFD absolutely did not praise the Nuremberg rallies per se. It was an argument about the benefits and virtues of religious faith. Actually quite a sensitive and philosophical debate for post lagershed PB

Someone praised humanism and @HYUFD rightly scoffed at it saying it lacked the mystique, theatre and majesty of great religion, and that even the Nuremberg rallies or tawdry modern Anglicanism were more compelling than the dreary rituals of humanism

So Herr Head of the Chief Office of Construction Speer gets five stars on PB, then. Not so much, the happy clappy wing of the C of E.

But it might have escaped notice that humanism, and quite a few religions, reject ritual as leading to error.

Yes and the whole point was without religious ritual the ritual of ultra nationalism becomes more attractive as an alternative
    The sort most prevalent today in the right wing of the Tory Party, which also utterly refuses to abandon the theocratic elements of the UK state and demands high church ritual for the inauguration of the Head of State? Ok, if you say so.
    Actually not so true anymore, especially given the Bishops frequent votes against government policy on asylum etc. Though I myself strongly back the established church and Parish system.

However yes if you don't have mystique and high ceremonial religion people will seek other outlets for their passions.

And of course the most extreme religion today is non established ultra evangelical Christianity and non established militant Islam, the established C of E is hardly going around fermenting terrorism is it!
    Fomenting.
    Some communion wine is pretty rough (never ever offer to help the vicar finish off an overfull chalice if you can avoid it), but calling it terrorism is going a bit far.
  • Options
    Apparently the killer in France was already "known to the police".
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67101089
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Powerful

Perhaps if Hamas had used the wrong pronouns or culturally misappropriated some Israeli culture they’d be moved to act.
    IIRC Hamas isn’t a gay friendly organisation.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Probably because it creates most of them.
    Confirmed by Homer Simpson.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=stone+cutters+song&mid=C69D75161E679E092593C69D75161E679E092593&FORM=VIRE
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039

viewcode said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

She was one of the members of the Holyrood committee that ruled out flying the Israeli flag at the Scottish Parliament. Given the SNP enthusiasm for flags that was quite a message for Scotland's Jewish community.
    Many in the Orthodox community outside of Scotland have a strong affinity with the place too - in no small part for the whisky (Scotch is often drunk socially on Shabbat) - it's a popular place to visit. There's a Jewish tartan as well: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/jewish-tartan
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s quite confusing. Which is in itself not a great look
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Powerful

Presumably, they'd tell members of Queers for Palestine:

"Come to Gaza. You'll never leave."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Fomenting.
    Some communion wine is pretty rough (never ever offer to help the vicar finish off an overfull chalice if you can avoid it), but calling it terrorism is going a bit far.
    I’m trying to remember the name of an English aristo who became a Catholic priest (stayed, deliberately at the bottom of the career ladder), who used the finest wines as communion wine.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Powerful

Yet it does not stop groups like "Queers for Palestine" in their unwavering support.
  • Options
    SBU confirms damage to a Russian "Buyan" missile carrier warship this morning in Sevastopol Bay, says it also attacked "Pavel Derzhavin" naval patrol ship two days ago, and attempted to attack "Alrosa" submarine using Sea Baby experimental naval drones:

"After the first detonation, Russian minesweepers and divers were unable to discover our know-how. Yesterday, the submarine "Alrosa" got lucky, managed to escape our developments so far. The carrier of cruise missiles "Buyan" could not repeat the "feat" of "Alrosa", therefore it was struck today during the Sevastopol raid by the experimental weapon "Sea Babies". The Security Service of Ukraine warns Muscovites that there is no need to go through Ukrainian waters if you want to preserve at least some remnants of your fleet," notes one of the organizers of the special operation.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1712763116868481073
  • Options
    Leon said:

I think that the one thing we can be certain of is that there will be fewer SNP MPs after the election than before it, possibly a lot fewer. The SNP will also receive a much reduced share of the vote. How this is a mandate for anything when the current 44 clearly isn't is something of a mystery to me and, I suspect, most Scots.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Powerful

Yet it does not stop groups like "Queers for Palestine" in their unwavering support.
    When I was at uni, in the 90s, there was a brutal gay bashing incident.

Both the university and the GaySoc worked to cover it up. Because the victim and perpetrators came from the same ethnic group….
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Where the evangelical vote goes tends to win Iowa GOP caucuses where there is no incumbent GOP President eg in 2000 W Bush won, in 2008 Huckabee won, in 2012 Santorum won, in 2016 Cruz won. All except Bush won it late by grassroots campaigning and a hardline message on social issues.

Pence is the most hardline against abortion in the race and has plenty of time to get that across still in Iowa
    Pence has had at least ten years to "get that across" in Iowa, first as Governor of another Midwest state, then as VP, and since on the campaign trail.

Pence isn't on some kind of "getting to know you" tour - pretty much everyone who might even conceivably get involved in the Iowa caucuses knows exactly who he is, what he's about, and what they think of him.

The people you mentioned weren't nobodies by any means but you'd have needed to be a very politically engaged Iowan to have a fixed view on the Governor of Texas (Bush), Governor of Arkansas (Huckabee), Senator for Pennsylvania (Santorum) or Senator for Texas (Cruz).

That's the fundamental problem with Pence's campaign, and the reason it's doomed even if Trump steps under a golf cart tomorrow. There's just very little scope to get any momentum when you're such a universally well known quantity.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Powerful

The mind bending illogicality of some of these people's hard-line positions is quite something to behold.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,857

Leon said:

Taz said:

That simple, I think.
    'We'?
    The British. We are British.
  • Options
    Incredible. GCHQ advertises jobs with remarkably weak qualifications required. Just a 2:2

However, white men are not allowed to apply. Flat no. How can that be legal?

https://x.com/westminsterpup/status/1712796851299119554?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Is a simple majority a type of majority......
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,317
    Leon said:

According to press reports, what he actually means is "29 or more"
  • Options
    Leon said:

Incredible. GCHQ advertises jobs with remarkably weak qualifications required. Just a 2:2

https://x.com/westminsterpup/status/1712796851299119554?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Only getting a 2:2 these days at university, you gotta be either really thick or did absolutely no work...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

I think that the one thing we can be certain of is that there will be fewer SNP MPs after the election than before it, possibly a lot fewer. The SNP will also receive a much reduced share of the vote. How this is a mandate for anything when the current 44 clearly isn't is something of a mystery to me and, I suspect, most Scots.
    Indeed and of course there is now a chance on the latest Scottish polls Sarwar could replace Yousaf as FM after the next Holyrood elections anyway, truly killing off indyref2 talk for a generation
  • Options

NY Times blog

Indeed. His contribution to the destruction of Aleppo and Grozny, along with much of their civilian populations, no doubt gives him considerable insight.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Obviously we wouldn't but look at how antisemitism is being tolerated all over the west because no one wants to confront their homegrown militant Muslim population. Props to Macron for calling them out, I wish our PM had even 10% of the backbone to also call out these thugs threatening British Jews with violence and put and end to their campaigns.

The unique element of antisemitism is that it is a racism that exists among the left and the right, across all different demographics and ethnicities. It allows it to tolerated in a way that real (and perceived) racism against for instance black individuals is now hyper-policed / called out by wider society.
    It is a unique and insidiously complex type of racism. I've recommended on here before, but David Baddiel's book Jews Don't Count is a really good primer on it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Pence has had at least ten years to "get that across" in Iowa, first as Governor of another Midwest state, then as VP, and since on the campaign trail.

Pence isn't on some kind of "getting to know you" tour - pretty much everyone who might even conceivably get involved in the Iowa caucuses knows exactly who he is, what he's about, and what they think of him.

The people you mentioned weren't nobodies by any means but you'd have needed to be a very politically engaged Iowan to have a fixed view on the Governor of Texas (Bush), Governor of Arkansas (Huckabee), Senator for Pennsylvania (Santorum) or Senator for Texas (Cruz).

That's the fundamental problem with Pence's campaign, and the reason it's doomed even if Trump steps under a golf cart tomorrow. There's just very little scope to get any momentum when you're such a universally well known quantity.
    There is on a hardline anti abortion ticket which is a pivotal issue for Iowa evangelicals
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031
    Leon said:

That's surely illegal.
  • Options
    Leon said:

That's not what it says.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,743
    Leon said:

A joke surely?

"Women from any ethnic background" - that just means "women" doesn't it?
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Only getting a 2:2 these days at university, you gotta be either really thick or did absolutely no work...
    It has to be a 2:2 in Maths or Comp Science though or subject with a significant Maths component
  • Options
    Leon said:

I think they're getting around it by opening up 'expressions of interest' to them only in advance, but full applications to all on the due date.

Pretty clear it'd be a waste of time for a white man to apply though.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

That's not what it says.
    It says so right at the bottom, that it is confined to the above listed groups only.
  • Options
    Leon said:

False.

https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/jobs/maths-and-cryptography-roles-registration-of-interest.html

White men can apply. They are excluded from two events, one virtual, that provide information on the role and tips for the process.

"A registration of interest does not constitute a job application, nor will such registration have any bearing upon the recruitment process itself."

I don't agree with it but it is not stopping anyone from applying or being selected.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

That's not what it says.
    It says so right at the bottom, that it is confined to the above listed groups only.
    It says registrations of interest, not applications.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It has to be a 2:2 in Maths or Comp Science though or subject with a significant Maths component
    Still...Grade inflation at universities have been as bad as in A-Levels. A first used to be this exclusive thing, now its over a third of students.

There is this weird quid pro quo, you pay £10k a year, if you do the course, hand in the work, don't be an arse, we all know you need a 2:1 for most grad schemes and that is what you will get.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Powerful

When I was at uni, in the 90s, there was a brutal gay bashing incident.

Both the university and the GaySoc worked to cover it up. Because the victim and perpetrators came from the same ethnic group….
    Hopefully that would not happen now. That was not all that long ago either.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

That's not what it says.
    Good point, although it still isn't fair to exclude one section of society based on their race and gender from registering an interest.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

That's not what it says.
    Good point, although it still isn't fair to exclude one section of society based on their race and gender from registering an interest.
    It's the wrong way to do it.

You headhunt talent from groups who fear applying (not for them) or haven't thought about it and coach them through the process.

You don't do this shit.
  • Options

Leon said:

If you click through to the actual advert, that simply isn't what is happening. The invitation is to register an interest in a forthcoming vacancy but:

"A registration of interest does not constitute a job application, nor will such registration have any bearing upon the recruitment process itself.

Any individuals who register their interest and who decide subsequently to apply for Maths and Cryptography Roles opportunities will need to complete an application form once the window for applications has opened.

Once the window has opened, we will welcome applications from all candidates, regardless of their ethnic background, gender, disability and/or any other characteristic(s). All applications will be assessed solely on merit."

I do wish you'd just once perform even the most basic due diligence to check what you're sharing is actually true.
    Indeed. But illustrates, to a point often brought up here, how anyone can fall prey to misinformation, especially misinformation that confirms your prejudices that you can then spread further.

Once live, I would imagine that like nearly all civil service application rounds, the written stage will be anonymised and remove information on ethnicity etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Possibly taking people with 2:2s is not exactly hiring the best and the brightest. Given the work undertaken, cryptography, I would have hoped / thought, that a 1st would be required. That is still only filtering for the top 1/3 of graduates.
  • Options
    To get a proper perspective on the conflict, this American sitcom reduced it to a threesome

Watch this episode, it is a belter

https://curb-your-enthusiasm.fandom.com/wiki/Palestinian_Chicken

Leon said:

If you click through to the actual advert, that simply isn't what is happening. The invitation is to register an interest in a forthcoming vacancy but:

"A registration of interest does not constitute a job application, nor will such registration have any bearing upon the recruitment process itself.

Any individuals who register their interest and who decide subsequently to apply for Maths and Cryptography Roles opportunities will need to complete an application form once the window for applications has opened.

Once the window has opened, we will welcome applications from all candidates, regardless of their ethnic background, gender, disability and/or any other characteristic(s). All applications will be assessed solely on merit."

I do wish you'd just once perform even the most basic due diligence to check what you're sharing is actually true.
    Are you able to apply, at a later date, if you have not registered an interest ?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,973
    Taz said:

Rabbi Goldberg takes a principled stance against the moral cowardice of the FA and resigns from their faith council

https://x.com/skynews/status/1712765385936703519?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

A good move by the FA. An Israeli flag would get booed whatever the circumstances. Their history in the Middle East is a cruel one. With the new government an apartheid one as well.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

That's surely illegal.
    Hopefully you aren't suggesting our security services would *ever* do anything illegal!

In this case though, it's not.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

That's not what it says.
    Just self-identify as black and apply for it. Problem solved.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Powerful

"Come to Gaza, your parents will get you back in a box, in pieces"
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Roger said:

Taz said:

Rabbi Goldberg takes a principled stance against the moral cowardice of the FA and resigns from their faith council

https://x.com/skynews/status/1712765385936703519?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

A good move by the FA. An Israeli flag would get booed whatever the circumstances. Their history in the Middle East is a cruel one. With the new government an apartheid one as well.
    But of course, Lord Mann, thought of this. He suggested an alternative, to do it yesterday, but they said no. That would have allowed the virtue signalling and move on, as has in lots of other places, and I doubt any more would have been said about it.

Its is as so often, a certain class of people a) overly worried about offence caused to only certain groups and b) follow the money in this case...they don't want to piss of the money bag Saudis, Qatars, etc who are invested in English football.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,317
    Meanwhile...

@RubyJLL
    🚨cutting whatsapp messages from cabinet secretary simon case and former downing street head of comms lee cain

"i was always told that dom was the secret PM...the real person in charge is carrie"

"we look like a terrible, tragic joke"

"i cannot cope with this"

https://x.com/RubyJLL/status/1712769777238778062?s=20
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,599
    edited October 2023

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

That's not what it says.

You headhunt talent from groups who fear applying (not for them) or haven't thought about it and coach them through the process.

You don't do this shit.
    You'd hope, given GCHQ's activities, that they'd just pop something up on relevant persons' computers with the job offer, having monitored skills and gathered demographic data already :wink:
  • Options

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

That's not what it says.

You don't do this shit.
    I don't think it's as bad as you clearly do (at all, actually).

But I do agree that it would be considerably more productive to actively recruit more in the way you describe. I imagine hands are tied for working with the right recruitment agencies, no doubt because of inane procurement processes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

That's not what it says.
    How on earth do you come to that conclusion?

If an organisation, whether in the public or private sector, realises it isn't getting many applications from a particular group of people, that is obviously a concern as there is a whole group of potentially very capable individuals who aren't applying.

So the organisation might want to do some things such as holding events to encourage more applications from under-represented groups, and it makes no sense to open that out more widely.
  • Options
    Taz said:

To get a proper perspective on the conflict, this American sitcom reduced it to a threesome

Leon said:

Are you able to apply, at a later date, if you have not registered an interest ?
    I have not been trained in cryptography but if I have cracked the meaning of this phrase "nor will such registration have any bearing upon the recruitment process itself" correctly, then yes you can.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

The Palestinian Chicken episode is brilliant.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

That's not what it says.

You don't do this shit.
    You'd hope, given GCHQ's activities, that they'd just pop something up on relevant persons' computers with the job offer, having monitored skills and gathered demographic data already :wink:
    So old fashioned, nowadays they can just insert the thought directly into your sub conscious via the Gates microchips from the vaccines.
This discussion has been closed.