Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak’s ratings fall after his big week – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,267
    "Gas the Jews" shout crowd on steps of Sydney Opera House:

https://x.com/australianja/status/1711501583295680694
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,227
    Cyclefree said:

Justin Trudeau has all the sex appeal of a pint of milk. A lot of boys - just before puberty - look like their mothers. You can see it in school plays when they play female parts. Then they grow into men. Justin looks like someone who has never grown up

Can't think of any male politician in the UK who is remotely fanciable. Most of them can't even dress well.

Quite admire Rayner for making something of herself from a difficult background. That is worth celebrating. Whether she will be good in office is another matter.

Politics is known as "showbusiness for ugly people". Although I think that's probably unfair. "Showbusiness for average looking people" would be more accurate, but less pithy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    Topley on a hat-trick!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,264
    @Mexicanpete will be on shortly to tell us how the sun shines out of Sunak’s arse and that the Net Zero and HS2 axes were “game changers”.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,184
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

PS @148grss - can I also say a belated Welcome to the forum

I have a sense I disagree with you on 99.56% of issues, but that makes for fun debate. Also you are young, female and an unapologetic communist - three things we seldom see on PB, and we need fresh young opinions. And you also seem highly articulate and confident of your views - even if they are ridiculous

I do hope you stick around. Sincerely. It’s a nice place to hang. Try the chocolate hob-nobs

Agree. Courageous stuff, and worth reading their posts given such a large number of people share those views outside of PB.

Not even the most ridiculous views on here anyway - the push Gaza into the sea crowd are far sillier.
    Alongside Cyclefree, I think @148grss is the most articulate poster on gender politics that we have. FWIW.

I'm not sure either will thank me for the comparison.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    edited October 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

I have a sense I disagree with you on 99.56% of issues, but that makes for fun debate. Also you are young, female and an unapologetic communist - three things we seldom see on PB, and we need fresh young opinions. And you also seem highly articulate and confident of your views - even if they are ridiculous

I do hope you stick around. Sincerely. It’s a nice place to hang. Try the chocolate hob-nobs

@148grss has said in the past they are a gay man.

Or have I got this wrong? Not that I care one way or the other.

How anyone can take communism seriously beats me. A revolting ideology which has brought misery to millions wherever it has been tried. But it takes all sorts.
    ‘is there a man with soul so dead
    Who was not in the twenties, Red?’

Or something like that!

In other matters, Bangladesh have just lost their first wicket; 14-1
    And while I was writing this, their second.
    15-2.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916

Do Labour read PB? "Communities, not houses" is a mantra I've been saying on here for years.

It'd be good if it happens.

I'd prefer "habitats, not houses".
    Maybe "Communities, not houses" was chosen over "habitats, not houses" because Habitat went bankrupt.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

Thanks for recommending The Great Post Office Scandal, by Nick Wallis. It is riveting, and full of life lessons.

No need to tell you what you already know but this must surely be the worst UK scandal of my lifetime.

It is a thoroughly instructive example of how the justice system can fail, and how far reaching the consequences can be when it does.

Yes - the legal failures are some of the very worst aspects of this. As well as the failures of the politicians to control a state owned body. This latter has implications for our politics given the likely approach of a Labour government. It will be worth exploring both these aspects more fully. I intend doing so tho' I don't want to try people's patience on this here too much.
    I just got my copy of the book as well, thanks for the recommendation, which will definitely be source material for a case study of IT project management.

From the first few pages, it’s already a bloody scary story, and the failures are numerous.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023
    Ever interview with Palestinian's s e.g. on Sky News, some bloke who is a manager of theatre group set up by Jews, so in theory not just a hardened Jihadist, quickly descends into no the (the Israelis) are the Nazi's, our people were just defending ourselves, etc etc etc, there is never any indication that perhaps Hamas raping, torturing, etc of innocents was perhaps overstepping the mark.

While Israel government officials are comparing Hamas to ISIS, calling them animals.

Its obviously makes the NI situation look like small beer, one which you can never see a solution to.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,104
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Heathener said:

Someone close to me has had tea with Keir Starmer and said he was great: relaxed, easy to get on with, and funny.

The issue is more that people don't yet see Starmer. If my friend is right then it will come through during the GE campaign.

What's abundantly clear to all of us who actually live in this country Robert @rcs1000 is that the more we see of Sunak, the worse he appears.

A lot if people say the same thing, but isn’t it strange that he never comes across as anything other than really stiff and boring?

Two examples - he is genuinely a football fan; season ticket at Arsenal, plays 5 a side in Camden, so you’d think he would be in a relaxed environment talking about it. Yet…

https://x.com/asfarasdelgados/status/1583374767653994501?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1711082033756164214?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

“Right in the 86th minute”??? Perhaps he neither writes or signs off his own social media, because no real football fan would ever speak like that
    He's terrific on Desert Island Discs. You want to jump into the radio and join in the chat, be his friend. Take a listen:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000pdqz

I hope you enjoy it because it's in your interests to get to know and like Keir. He'll be on your various screens a lot in the next few years. It's distressing when that's the case with a politician you can't stand.

I know this only too well because of Donald Trump and Boris "Boris" Johnson. Cannot abide either of them and that period from July 2019 to January 2021 when they were both simultaneously squatting atop their respective trees was (quite literally) a hell on earth.

We do not want the same for you.
    Cheers.

It’s ok though, I am lucky to have been able to watch & learn from the excruciating behaviour of those who lost the referendum & GE19. A perfect lesson in how not to do it
    Ok. But I genuinely hope you do find a quiet few minutes to listen to it.
    I love Desert Island Discs. Perfect for bathtime! My Dad listened to Sir Keir’s show when it was broadcast and said he came across well.

But I won’t be listening to it. I only really listen to those ft people I like. I barely watch the news or any politics programmes anyway now, so it’s easy to not let him being PM affect me in the way Boris winning seemed to have sent others to the brink of lunacy

We won the referendum, Sir Keir & co tried for three years to stop the result being implemented, then we won again & it felt great - I think the pandemic ruined what could have been a great opportunity, but we are where we are; if the public want to elect the chief Remainer/Brexit blocker as PM next time, then that’s the way it is.

I’d recommend George Michael’s DID, as well as Richard E Grant’s

…& Enoch Powell’s… can’t whack a bit of Wagner
    Adrian Edmondson’s was very good the other week. Remarkably moving even for a heartless cove such as me when he was reflecting on his relationship falling apart with Rik Mayall after his quad bike accident.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,045
    edited October 2023

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

How anyone can take communism seriously beats me. A revolting ideology which has brought misery to millions wherever it has been tried. But it takes all sorts.

Or something like that!
    Heh. The concern for PB Tories is that I'm in my late twenties and becoming increasingly left wing. I've just starting volunteering for a homeless charity and I can feel that process accelerating further.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

Thanks for recommending The Great Post Office Scandal, by Nick Wallis. It is riveting, and full of life lessons.

No need to tell you what you already know but this must surely be the worst UK scandal of my lifetime.

It is a thoroughly instructive example of how the justice system can fail, and how far reaching the consequences can be when it does.

Yes - the legal failures are some of the very worst aspects of this. As well as the failures of the politicians to control a state owned body. This latter has implications for our politics given the likely approach of a Labour government. It will be worth exploring both these aspects more fully. I intend doing so tho' I don't want to try people's patience on this here too much.
    Reminds one of mediaeval courts, finding for the sovereign against all the evidence!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Justin Trudeau has all the sex appeal of a pint of milk. A lot of boys - just before puberty - look like their mothers. You can see it in school plays when they play female parts. Then they grow into men. Justin looks like someone who has never grown up

Can't think of any male politician in the UK who is remotely fanciable. Most of them can't even dress well.

Quite admire Rayner for making something of herself from a difficult background. That is worth celebrating. Whether she will be good in office is another matter.

Politics is known as "showbusiness for ugly people". Although I think that's probably unfair. "Showbusiness for average looking people" would be more accurate, but less pithy.
    Or is it that the odd better than average looking person stands out so much they can more easily make it to the top....
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I have remembered one handsome male politician. Justin Trudeau. And people mention his looks a LOT. Esp when Trump’s wife obviously fancied him

2005-era David Cameron, aged 39 when elected leader, drew some of the same sort of comments.
    Golly.
    Have you any pics that might convince me of the hunkiness of Dave?
    Likewise, I’m not convinced anyone fancied young Dave Cameron. He was just young. His wife was - is - properly beautiful

The young Tony Blair was actually attractive. Indeed even the very young Gordon Brown had a brooding, saturnine allure. Now he’s just jowly
    Brown nearly married a Romania princess iirc.

Beaten to it by Lembit Opik
    Not a lot of people can say that!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,521
    Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Or something like that!
    Heh. The concern for PB Tories is that I'm in my late twenties and becoming increasingly left wing. I've just starting volunteering for a homeless charity and I can feel that process accelerating further.
    How is that left wing? People on the right also do volunteering etc.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Or something like that!
    In my experience it's frequently those who start out on the far left who transition to conservatism as they get older - perhaps it's the way that the right these days trades in easy answers and finding someone to blame, which reminds me of the far left in many ways. Squidgy centrist dad types tend to stay where they are or drift a bit leftwards as they grow tired of nothing ever changing. I guess on top of that you have the fact that so many of the young can't buy property or settle down, which prevents them from finding that pathway into Toryism.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554

Cyclefree said:

Yes, compared to the average person-on-telly, politicians are ugly - but compared to the population at large politicians are probably slightly handsomer than average.
    Politicians are also hindered by the fact that they are so often pictured looking either angry or smug, neither of which makes you look particularly attractive. You rarely see them in good-looking moods which make you look good, like relaxed or amused.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, compared to the average person-on-telly, politicians are ugly - but compared to the population at large politicians are probably slightly handsomer than average.
    Politicians are also hindered by the fact that they are so often pictured looking either angry or smug, neither of which makes you look particularly attractive. You rarely see them in good-looking moods which make you look good, like relaxed or amused.
    Also, far from me to suggest a conspiracy, but the media do seem to have a habit of selecting the worst possible ones (particularly for certain individuals) e.g. Tory party candidate one for London Mayor that got plastered on the front of the newspapers, that was clearly the worst of 10s of snaps they took.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Or something like that!
    I didn't mean that - just my leftyness had lead me to think about volunteering, and now I've started it's hardening my thoughts somewhat.

In the same vein - I know a few doctors and all hold draconian views on legalising drugs. Think it should cracked down on further, even though they are all on the left.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,977

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Or something like that!
    In my experience it's frequently those who start out on the far left who transition to conservatism as they get older - perhaps it's the way that the right these days trades in easy answers and finding someone to blame, which reminds me of the far left in many ways. Squidgy centrist dad types tend to stay where they are or drift a bit leftwards as they grow tired of nothing ever changing. I guess on top of that you have the fact that so many of the young can't buy property or settle down, which prevents them from finding that pathway into Toryism.
    A notable feature of Lib Dem polling is that they are at around 9-12% in every age group. No trend across the age groups. It’s a life sentence.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,899

As an example, when they built my 'village' (actually a town now), there was no public transport aside from a bus. The developers built a short section of dual carriageway onto the A428, which HA later grudgigly extended to meet the existing dual carriageway near Cambridge.

For public transport, we still rely on busses, and are at the whim of Stagecoach (who have withdrawn many of the services, and cut the routes through the village), and Whippet, who are good but small. We have no railway, no tram,; not even a good cycle route to Cambridge.

Any new town should have excellent transport links. Nearby, the new Northstowe should have the misguided bus link into Cambridge (along an old railway line, natch). Waterbeach New Town is going to be served by moving the existing station a short distance north. All these are paid for by the council, not developers.

We cannot - and must not - so new towns on the cheap.

Absolutely any new towns should have excellent transport links, I said there should be new motorways.

But that should not be the "developers" responsibility.

If you want community infrastructure, then it is the responsibility of the entire community, the entire country, to pay for that - not just pile the burden on those who get a new house all alone while those who live in secure housing that was built years ago abscond from any responsibilities.
    It's fine for the council to say: a 'community centre building will be provided before the 900th home was occupied, or a sports pavilion before the 500th - when there are 1,200 homes occupied and they have not been built.

The council should be able to make the developer stop all building works on houses - and sales of completed houses - until it meets its obligations.

S106 simply doesn't work very well, even on large developments.
    I'd suggest it does work quite well - it's a mechanism we have that raises a lot of money from planning gain and spends it on infrastructure / services.

I would far prefer for the existing community to fund infrastructure as a matter of fairness, however people already there have a vote, and people who have not yet moved in do not. I'd say that that would make an existing anti-newbuild situation poisoned by NIMBYism even worse.

The developer not meeting their conditions is an issue of Council enforcement and capacity, which has been pithed over a decade by Cameron and successors as part of their policy of starving local government of adequate funding.

Councils do have the ability to stop developments in their tracks, as part of planning enforcement. It is called a Stop Notice :smile: , and is served at the same time as an Enforcement Notice under Section 183 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

Usually they would use the threat of one as a "persuader" to make the developer behave.
  • Options
    Just on the video of Hamas shooting the dog that someone commented on a while back.

That video has now got 8.5m views and is going through the roof. It is getting a multiple of what the other Israel-related videos are getting.

If Biden does not get a handle on this whole situation, this is going to be a major problem. I see Ilhan Omar is being as delightful as ever condemning Israel's actions as a war crime and yet had sweet FA to say about Hamas.

Starmer may be in a better position because of his actions against Corbyn but, as the Mail et al have been showing, Labour still has some who are quite happy to focus on what Israel is doing and ignore Hamas.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Cyclefree said:

I know two women, both Labour voters, who think Boris is fanciable - "that relentless bouncy self-conifdence coupled with charm" as one puts it. My reaction is ????. Like lots of men I've given up working out what turns most women (or indeed other men) on. Fortunately, tastes seem to differ so there's someone for most of us.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Some people meet me and think that I’m
    rightwing!! I’ve stayed pretty much the same in my politics for 30 years. I think the state should be much more involved in public services and much less involved in people’s personal lifestyle choices. I’m not woke - I’m more of a left-liberal libertarian if there is such a thing - so that’s why some wokies think I’m rightwing. I don’t see why overtaxing the hard work of ordinary families is in any way leftwing. I’m sceptical (but not reactionary) towards bandwagons and fashionable causes.

I guess I’m a sort of weirdo Old Labour Libertarian Liberal, a rare beast these days.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Cyclefree said:

I know two women, both Labour voters, who think Boris is fanciable - "that relentless bouncy self-conifdence coupled with charm" as one puts it. My reaction is ????. Like lots of men I've given up working out what turns most women (or indeed other men) on. Fortunately, tastes seem to differ so there's someone for most of us.
    Boris clearly must have "something" given the endless number of women he has had relationships with....what that "something" is, who the hell knows.
  • Options

Just on the video of Hamas shooting the dog that someone commented on a while back.

That video has now got 8.5m views and is going through the roof. It is getting a multiple of what the other Israel-related videos are getting.

If Biden does not get a handle on this whole situation, this is going to be a major problem. I see Ilhan Omar is being as delightful as ever condemning Israel's actions as a war crime and yet had sweet FA to say about Hamas.

Starmer may be in a better position because of his actions against Corbyn but, as the Mail et al have been showing, Labour still has some who are quite happy to focus on what Israel is doing and ignore Hamas.

Told you! The dog video has caused more problems for Hamas than all the other stuff put together.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

Reminds one of mediaeval courts, finding for the sovereign against all the evidence!
    The Post Office exhibited a routine presumption of guilt amongst its subpostmasters. I have come across the same kind of thing amonst officials of HMRC, and of course the Police. It is lethal when combined with incompetence. You then have to hope the justice system saves the day.

It failed dismally in the Post Office case. In fact it became part of the problem.

By the way, Fulitsu get out relatively lightly. They were merely guilty of selling shoddy kit at exorbitant prices.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Cyclefree said:

Pfft “relentless bouncy self-conifdence coupled with charm" never helped win Elections
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The charms of Boris to some women are indeed a mystery. The charms of Angela to Boris (and indeed other men) are rather easier to recognise.
  • Options
    What time is Sir Keir’s speech today?
  • Options

The Mail was the only paper to try and make UK political capital out of the conflict.

I'm told Mail readers don't buy the paper for its politics. Not sure if that makes it ok.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,716
    Ghedebrav said:

glw said:

Good morning, everyone.

Rayner's vastly overrated. The 'scum' comments were wretched.

She hasn't actually done anything yet to be rated on.

Going to be fun to watch those who reckon governing is easy get confronted by the reality: it's mostly about 51:49 decisions. And the 49 who lose out know how to use social media.

One one level, they will be lucky. They won't face the combination of implementing Brexit, Covid, Ukraine and the consequent cost of living crisis all in one Parliament.

On another, they'll be unlucky: trying to make 51:49 decisions as part of a rainbow coalition.

A couple of years of that, then you can rate Rayner.
    Many of the things said about Rayner were said about Prescott. He didn't exactly shine when if office.
    I get the Prescott comparisons, but I think they’re quite different characters.
    Yes. If you place, in the imagination, Prescott and Rayner in sitcom settings, Prescott would be a comic butt of jokes, only funny by accident and a bit dim, Rayner would be funny and a doer and an attracter of attention.

Rayner is both one of the people collecting an infant in the working class playground who never stops talking in a group, and shares a little something with celeb culture. Prescott doesn't do either.
  • Options

The Telegraph Ukraine - the Latest podcast was good on this yesterday.

Their argument is that this is lack of resolution / clarity on the part of Western Countries, part of a progressive retreat similar to the various failures to deal with Chechnya, Georgia etc which gave Putin "permission" to invade Ukraine, then failed to adequately face up to Putin's war - encouraging him to think that if he just waits it out he will win.

Interesting speculation that an attack on Israel supported via Iran who are supported by Russia could lead anti-Ukraine Republicans in the USA to change their side.

Deep link:
    https://youtu.be/YU_vkVaKBCY?list=PLJnf_DDTfIVCYlsANGtNkzMeM9Fdmqzxr&t=1653
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    edited October 2023
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

I just got my copy of the book as well, thanks for the recommendation, which will definitely be source material for a case study of IT project management.

From the first few pages, it’s already a bloody scary story, and the failures are numerous.
    The one aspect which is not being covered by the public inquiry is the failures of the politicians.

This really ought to be. It is no use them saying that they are going to run this, that and the other and then fail to do precisely that and then run away when bad stuff happens on their watch. Implications for the NHS for instance.

So I will write a header on that when I get my head round that.

Though you can of course follow my thoughts on my work website and here - cyclefree.co.uk.

Am doing a work webinar on the investigative side of this in December.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    A lot of disquiet about the reaction to the weekends events at the world's best universities....and Oxford...

In nearly 50 years of @Harvard affiliation, I have never been as disillusioned and alienated as I am today.
    https://x.com/LHSummers/status/1711421307227607255?s=20

I am a @RadInstitute '17 fellow and could not agree more
    https://x.com/mmbronstein/status/1711668179716465107?s=20
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited October 2023

Cyclefree said:

Boris clearly must have "something" given the endless number of women he has had relationships with....what that "something" is, who the hell knows.
    Yes.

Always amazed me how people, whose side/cause had lost to Boris, advertised their anger through the medium of snide comments about his weight/hair/clothes/general unattractiveness, when the evidence is there, in the form of countless wives, girlfriends and offspring that it might just be sour grapes at their side losing rather than Boris being a minger

To give Sir Keir some credit, he was a very good looking chap in his twenties - I remember seeing a video of him calling for the Royal Family to be got rid of where he looked like a leading man
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

The Post Office exhibited a routine presumption of guilt amongst its subpostmasters. I have come across the same kind of thing amonst officials of HMRC, and of course the Police. It is lethal when combined with incompetence. You then have to hope the justice system saves the day.

It failed dismally in the Post Office case. In fact it became part of the problem.

By the way, Fulitsu get out relatively lightly. They were merely guilty of selling shoddy kit at exorbitant prices.
    Two of their staff are being investigated for perjury.

Fujitsu should be booted to the far side of the universe.
  • Options
    Metro Bank faces a "limited future" if it continues with its strategy of focusing on High Street branches, the co-founder of the bank has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67062861
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

My brother-in-law (who I think you have met) was at school with him. He was widely regarded as 'a bit dim'.

(JT, that is, not b-i-l, who is anything but dim.)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603

What time is Sir Keir’s speech today?

2pm I believe. BBC covering it.
  • Options
    Rory Stewart gets some women going.

My wife seems to like him.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Confirming what we all expected. Euro 2028 will be held in England, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Going to be fun to work out which nation(s) get the "automatic" qualification status. Home Nations round-robin tournament?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,267
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Or something like that!
    I didn't mean that - just my leftyness had lead me to think about volunteering, and now I've started it's hardening my thoughts somewhat.

In the same vein - I know a few doctors and all hold draconian views on legalising drugs. Think it should cracked down on further, even though they are all on the left.
    Some professions seem to keep a wide range of political views: barristers appear to remain split left and right throughout their careers. Or perhaps equal numbers move in each direction.
  • Options

The fear is this will increase as Israel inevitably wins. It is already destroying mosques which are used as arms dumps by Hamas, but how will blowing up mosques play across the Muslim world? If Israel lays siege to Gaza, how long before starving Palestinian babies are uploaded to social media?

Israel must win, but it must win quickly and cleanly.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Women are a remarkably charitable bunch, thankfully.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    148grss said:

Are we able to avoid the somewhat misogynist evaluation of women in politics based on their looks? I understand this forum is lots of dirty old men, and I'm more than happy to leave you to your private pervy reveries as much as you like. But it is quite unbecoming to post pictures of politicians when they were younger, and describe current politicians in the way you find them attractive or not...

We live in modern Britain, not Plato's Republic.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    carnforth said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Or something like that!

Some professions seem to keep a wide range of political views: barristers appear to remain split left and right throughout their careers. Or perhaps equal numbers move in each direction.
    Weren't most of the New Labour top tier quite radically left wing at that approximate age?

Just think what you have to look forward to in your 40s ! :wink:

@Eabhal - the new David Blunkett / Jack Straw / Charles Clarke.
  • Options

The fear is this will increase as Israel inevitably wins. It is already destroying mosques which are used as arms dumps by Hamas, but how will blowing up mosques play across the Muslim world? If Israel lays siege to Gaza, how long before starving Palestinian babies are uploaded to social media?

Israel must win, but it must win quickly and cleanly.
    Apparently, Israel thinks it has two weeks before the US urges restraint.

Personally, I think it has some more time than that. Certainly those I speak to, apart from those who are pro-Palestinian by nature and always have been, have been unilaterally saying Hamas must be crushed and, in many cases, using words that would get me banned by the moderators. Sympathy for the Palestinians is close to zero.

I think your point is why Israel targeted the telecoms infrastructure in Gaza so relentlessly. It disrupts communication between Hamas but it also stops many images coming out even if there are options if you tried (I would be interested to know what Egypt is doing with its telco infrastructure that can be reached rom Gaza). Sure Hamas may be able to smuggle some videos out but it's from Hamas so will get discounted in the West if not the Middle East.

Would agree with you btw on the win.
  • Options

Confirming what we all expected. Euro 2028 will be held in England, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Going to be fun to work out which nation(s) get the "automatic" qualification status. Home Nations round-robin tournament?

Why not just keep two slots in reserve for those teams that fail to qualify via the normal route? Should more than two fail, the two teams with the best qualification record get the slots.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

For most men, politics is showbusiness for ugly people.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Why is it that supporters of the Palestinian cause leave no stone unturned in their determination to repel people?
  • Options
    https://www.ft.com/content/70d1b7bf-6ef9-47e0-a749-80dd9d924420

This piece by Andy Haldane on the disastrous short term thinking on HS2 is very good. A properly connected UK could be an economic powerhouse, instead our penny-pinching attitude to infrastructure will consign us to life in the second or third tier of nations. It really makes my blood boil - this and Brexit - just stupid policies that make us poorer.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

Sounds like they all participate in qualification with two places held back in the event that some don't make it. If three of more fail to qualify, then the two with the best record qualify.
  • Options
    Since this is all so serious, can we have a lighter thread too?

Has ANYONE on PB, EVER, managed to cook a decent poached egg in an air fryer? How?

Youtube is full of Soccer Mom's demanding how easy it is, and how perfect they are if you do thisandthisandthisandthisandthisandthisandthisandthisandthis.

My current view is that a small pan of water is twice as easy, three time as quick, and works.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,090

If Biden does not get a handle on this whole situation, this is going to be a major problem.

What do you want him to do?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2023
    On the lighter topic of good-looking politicians, the best-looking I've ever seen as these two. Liviing in Greece some of the time, my wife has a bit of a thing about Stefanos Kasselakis, the new Macron-style head of Syriza, a bit similar to my thing about disgraced beauty Eva Kaili.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskBalkans/comments/16r8ft4/the_second_largest_party_in_greece_has_a_new/

https://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/Afera-korupcyjna-w-PE-Eva-Kaili-moze-jechac-na-sesje-plenarna-do-Strasburga-8558108.html
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

Two of their staff are being investigated for perjury.

Fujitsu should be booted to the far side of the universe.
    I see adverts for them on the TV occasionally, usually in the background. I wouldn't touch them if I were in any sort of purchasing position, and they should at least be suspended from quoting for Government contracts.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Their argument is that this is lack of resolution / clarity on the part of Western Countries, part of a progressive retreat similar to the various failures to deal with Chechnya, Georgia etc which gave Putin "permission" to invade Ukraine, then failed to adequately face up to Putin's war - encouraging him to think that if he just waits it out he will win.

Interesting speculation that an attack on Israel supported via Iran who are supported by Russia could lead anti-Ukraine Republicans in the USA to change their side.

Deep link:
    Thanks for that, will take a look. One thing people forget re the Republicans is that, while they have their anti-Ukraine and indeed anti-Jewish nuts, they generally fall into line if DJT tells them what to do. Hence Matt Gaetz suddenly becoming all cooperative and saying he will back whichever Speaker candidate the GOP comes up with.

It is a different issue for the Democrats. They have a large base of activists, mainly university graduates, who are akin to what Militant was here - determined to take over the party and willing to be challenge the leadership. The problem this time is that - to put it bluntly - a lot of Democrat funding comes from those who are Jewish and / or have close links to Israel. It is the first time those donors have had to face directly, and in such circumstances, the actions of the growing left.

This is why I think the Israel situation will be a more major issue for them than the GOP. If Biden continues his support for Israel - and he has to given the $6 billion f*ck up - this is going to spill out into the party quickly.
  • Options
    Korea to cancel satellite launch contract with Russia
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=360823
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

If Biden does not get a handle on this whole situation, this is going to be a major problem.

Make it clear to the Squad that backing Hamas is unacceptable. Kick Ilhan Omar out for starters.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Accept the blame for the situation, of course.
    MAGA logic.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    tlg86 said:

Sounds like they all participate in qualification with two places held back in the event that some don't make it. If three of more fail to qualify, then the two with the best record qualify.
    Sigh...think how exciting it would be to have such a home nations tournament with something on the line. Rather than loads of games where England play the bus drivers from San Marino, waiters from Malta, etc.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,497

@Mexicanpete will be on shortly to tell us how the sun shines out of Sunak’s arse and that the Net Zero and HS2 axes were “game changers”.

Funny old world.

They quite possibly were "game changers" but not necessarily positives for the little guy.

Two of my four contributions in the last 24 hours have been responding to your old nonsense. If you desist in calling for me like you would a benevolent socialist genie in a bottle I will keep out of your way.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603

This piece by Andy Haldane on the disastrous short term thinking on HS2 is very good. A properly connected UK could be an economic powerhouse, instead our penny-pinching attitude to infrastructure will consign us to life in the second or third tier of nations. It really makes my blood boil - this and Brexit - just stupid policies that make us poorer.

There's a piece in this week's speccie on HS2. Very anti. Whole thing is a waste of money as all it does is shave a few minutes off the time businessmen will take to get to London and they don't care as they can use wifi on the train.

No mention of capacity whatsoever.
  • Options

MattW said:

Deep link:
    Thanks for that, will take a look. One thing people forget re the Republicans is that, while they have their anti-Ukraine and indeed anti-Jewish nuts, they generally fall into line if DJT tells them what to do. Hence Matt Gaetz suddenly becoming all cooperative and saying he will back whichever Speaker candidate the GOP comes up with.

It is a different issue for the Democrats. They have a large base of activists, mainly university graduates, who are akin to what Militant was here - determined to take over the party and willing to be challenge the leadership. The problem this time is that - to put it bluntly - a lot of Democrat funding comes from those who are Jewish and / or have close links to Israel. It is the first time those donors have had to face directly, and in such circumstances, the actions of the growing left.

This is why I think the Israel situation will be a more major issue for them than the GOP. If Biden continues his support for Israel - and he has to given the $6 billion f*ck up - this is going to spill out into the party quickly.
    With regard to the GOP, is a Mike Pence bounce possible? Many Evangelicals feel close to Israel because of the Old Testament prophecies (as well as the chap with long hair and a beard) and Pence is their man in Washington.
  • Options

Funny old world.

They quite possibly were "game changers" but not necessarily positives for the little guy.

Two of my four contributions in the last 24 hours have been responding to your old nonsense. If you desist in calling for me like you would a benevolent socialist genie in a bottle I will keep out of your way.
    I’m responding to your nonsense. Are you saying I’m not allowed to? But that’s rather odd given how often you post it - presumably you want a reaction?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Has ANYONE on PB, EVER, managed to cook a decent poached egg in an air fryer? How?

Youtube is full of Soccer Mom's demanding how easy it is, and how perfect they are if you do thisandthisandthisandthisandthisandthisandthisandthisandthis.

My current view is that a small pan of water is twice as easy, three time as quick, and works.

As you imply, why would you? I use silicone egg holders and boiling water - takes a few minutes to perfect poached eggs.

https://amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Poachers-Poaching-Hanging-Brilliant/dp/B0BXBPVJT8/ref=asc_df_B0BXBPVJT8?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80814287069476&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413759602544&psc=1
  • Options
    edited October 2023

MattW said:

Deep link:

Yes. In short, Ukraine is more of an issue with the GOP, and Israel more of an issue for the Dems.

Thankfully, there’s still an overall majority for aid to both countries - but Gaetz is right on his fundamental point that the Federal budget is totally out of control.

Also interesting news out of the US overnight, that Bobby Kennedy is going to run as an independent. Easy to see him taking votes from both main parties.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,624

Dura_Ace said:

Make it clear to the Squad that backing Hamas is unacceptable. Kick Ilhan Omar out for starters.
    That's not within his power though. US political parties are structured completely differently to British ones.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

MattW said:

Deep link:

The podcast has been running daily since the war started more or less, and I listen to perhaps 2/3 of them. That plus Perun are perhaps the two most important bits I follow.

I find it to be a thoughtful island in the Telegraph - the old principle of the importance of specialists in the 21C, and personal brands meaning more than corporate brands.

I particularly like the mix of people, and almost daily interviews with people outside the team - from the Ukraine frontline to US Senators, and the unwillingness to jump to immediate conclusions.
  • Options

There's a piece in this week's speccie on HS2. Very anti. Whole thing is a waste of money as all it does is shave a few minutes off the time businessmen will take to get to London and they don't care as they can use wifi on the train.

The Spectator is the in-house journal of people who want our country to fail (even if they don't realise it).
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Or something like that!

The big problem with Draconian views on drug legalisation is that those who hold them fail to take much account of how that project, now running for decades, is getting on. It is very Daily Mail to think that going further, 'cracking down', appointing drugs czars and all that can work when it doesn't work now and hasn't for years.
  • Options

And this has been the issue for me all along. All it was ever sold to the public was on journey times, never on the real reason for doing it - freeing capacity on existing lines. Clearly its not worth spending over 100 billion pounds to save a few minutes on a passenger trip, but it ought to be to improve capacity. We do struggle with building stuff in this country. if its not the cost its the environmentals jumping up and down. How long has Stonehenge been waiting for an upgrade to the A303? All my life, certainly from when I worked in the Bell at Winterbourne Stoke in the 1990's. And who can forget the Newbury bypass?
  • Options

The Spectator is the in-house journal of people who want our country to fail (even if they don't realise it).
    Surely that's been die hard remainers over the last seven years? Every negative economic story latched onto with glee...
  • Options
    edited October 2023

And this has been the issue for me all along. All it was ever sold to the public was on journey times, never on the real reason for doing it - freeing capacity on existing lines. Clearly its not worth spending over 100 billion pounds to save a few minutes on a passenger trip, but it ought to be to improve capacity. We do struggle with building stuff in this country. if its not the cost its the environmentals jumping up and down. How long has Stonehenge been waiting for an upgrade to the A303? All my life, certainly from when I worked in the Bell at Winterbourne Stoke in the 1990's. And who can forget the Newbury bypass?
    Also, it was sold as this is HS2, a new railway line, not as part of an integrated infrastructure plan for the upgrade of road, rail, air for the next 25 years which will benefit everybody.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,503
    Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Barry Gardiner?
    Absolutely not.
    He's my idea of what an attractive older man looks like. In shape but not to a silly self-conscious degree. Dresses understated neat no frills. Beard always in hand, like a piece of fine topiary. Twinkly eyes. But anyway, let's not wallow in it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,497

Funny old world.

I’m responding to your nonsense. Are you saying I’m not allowed to? But that’s rather odd given how often you post it - presumably you want a reaction?
    Your last two posts aimed at me have been unsolicited as I haven't posted any "I believe the Tories will win a 20 seat majority, because I remember 1992" old nonsense. To be honest after Rutherglen I am in NoC territory, for the moment at least.

It's up to you what you do and what you want to post. But what about, don't call me , I'll call you first.

That's now three out of five posts answering you in the last 24 hours.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,624
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Deep link:

The podcast has been running daily since the war started more or less, and I listen to perhaps 2/3 of them. That plus Perun are perhaps the two most important bits I follow.

I find it to be a thoughtful island in the Telegraph - the old principle of the importance of specialists in the 21C, and personal brands meaning more than corporate brands.

I particularly like the mix of people, and almost daily interviews with people outside the team - from the Ukraine frontline to US Senators, and the unwillingness to jump to immediate conclusions.
    I eventually decided it was better than the BBC's effort, which certainly wasn't what I expected.
  • Options

MattW said:

Deep link:

I wonder how they will cope if DJT ends up in Fulton County Jail for a couple of decades?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,140

MattW said:

As you imply, why would you? I use silicone egg holders and boiling water - takes a few minutes to perfect poached eggs.

https://amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Poachers-Poaching-Hanging-Brilliant/dp/B0BXBPVJT8/ref=asc_df_B0BXBPVJT8?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80814287069476&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413759602544&psc=1
    Mrs C uses a frying pan of onions, fennel, capers, and hot smoked salmon as the (admittedly rather lumpy) working fluid, to be served with pasta. Even simpler.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,312
    Sean_F said:

carnforth said:

Why is it that supporters of the Palestinian cause leave no stone unturned in their determination to repel people?
    Yanis Varoufakis is doing his bit: “The criminals here are not Hamas…the criminals are Europeans” for remaining silent “as long as it’s Palestinians who die and not the occupiers”.

https://x.com/redstreamnet/status/1711025426867380254
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Deep link:

I wonder how they will cope if DJT ends up in Fulton County Jail for a couple of decades?
    It will be the Lost Messiah complex.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

That's not within his power though. US political parties are structured completely differently to British ones.
    I'm sure he can speak to Jeffries and recommend she can be kicked out of the House Caucus.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Sean_F said:

carnforth said:

Yanis Varoufakis is doing his bit: “The criminals here are not Hamas…the criminals are Europeans” for remaining silent “as long as it’s Palestinians who die and not the occupiers”.

https://x.com/redstreamnet/status/1711025426867380254
    I never understand why he gets such a big platform and gushing coverage. He failed in government, he is still failing at politics, and his ideas are bonkers e.g. his new book basically says the whole world should move to a model like Valve (the game company he worked for for a couple of years), where there is no management at all, you vote on each others duties and pay....he didn't think there might be "gaming" of such a system and or that it will just end up as a popularity contest where nobody wants to vote for hard decisions....and of course he doesn't believe in any borders.

Big Dom solutions sound better thought out than that stuff.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    TimS said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Or something like that!
    A notable feature of Lib Dem polling is that they are at around 9-12% in every age group. No trend across the age groups. It’s a life sentence.
    Out of interest, what percentage of the population have beard and sandals?
  • Options

MattW said:

Deep link:

With regard to the GOP, is a Mike Pence bounce possible? Many Evangelicals feel close to Israel because of the Old Testament prophecies (as well as the chap with long hair and a beard) and Pence is their man in Washington.
    I don't think so, I think Haley has probably got the best chance of being the non-Trump candidate followed by Scott. Pence is going to be also seen as too un-electable by many - the Trump supporters will not vote for him and many of the non-DJT ones (obviously not the evangelicals) will fear he will crush their chances in the House / Senate because of his views on abortion.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

To be fair, the capacity argument is presumably the one most impacted by Covid. Not in any way predictable before they started to build it of course.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Mrs C uses a frying pan of onions, fennel, capers, and hot smoked salmon as the (admittedly rather lumpy) working fluid, to be served with pasta. Even simpler.
    Sounds glorious but I only want a basic poached egg on my toast for brekkie!
  • Options

MattW said:

Are they for poaching in shallow water in a frying pan, as per the picture?

I have a couple of these kits of "air fryer" accessories, which come with 27 things in a small box, of which about 19 are useful.

I had a mini mould for 7 "egg bites", which are so nice that none have yet reached the freezer, and a larger mould which seems to be actual egg size - will give it a try.

The other new discovery is a mister for cooking oil, which is a brilliant device.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Told you! The dog video has caused more problems for Hamas than all the other stuff put together.
    Tbf it is easier to watch the shooting of a mutt than a human.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Are they for poaching in shallow water in a frying pan, as per the picture?

I have a couple of these kits of "air fryer" accessories, which come with 27 things in a small box, of which about 19 are useful.

I had a mini mould for 7 "egg bites", which are so nice that none have yet reached the freezer, and a larger mould which seems to be actual egg size - will give it a try.

The other new discovery is a mister for cooking oil, which is a brilliant device.
    Yes - I use about an inch of water, with the eggs in the moulds (not need to float).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Why would anyone watch any of these videos? It's a mystery to me. People are sick in the head.
  • Options

The poor old Spectator is a victim of the collapse and contradictions of centre right/right ideology. No-one is able to articulate a programme for the next decade combining Edmund Burke, Adam Smith, low tax, low spend, manageable debt, high growth, free trade and protectionism, deregulation, free thought, home owning, equal opportunity, personal responsibility, the small platoons, faith, family and flag.

Matt Goodwin looks as if he is having a try at centre right issues, for example: (speech to Reform)

https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1711504600153366791?s=20

but it all collapses on a moment's reflection.
  • Options
    biggles said:

To be fair, the capacity argument is presumably the one most impacted by Covid. Not in any way predictable before they started to build it of course.
    A huge amount of the capacity is for freight. If they’d sold it as getting 10,000 container lorries a day off the roads, it might have been more popular.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

Deep link:

It will be the Lost Messiah complex.
    OTOH, I half think it could be a mental health institution, listening to a compilation of his more crazy moments.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Also, most social media will try and hide / down weight the really gruesome stuff. You actively have to be searching it out and then clicking through to say yes I really want to watch somebody who has been murdered or tortured, in general you don't just stumble across it.

The same won't apply to a dog being shot.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Sounds glorious but I only want a basic poached egg on my toast for brekkie!
    That? We use what my mum did - a sort of miniature bain marie.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/72622/induction-safe-20cm-egg-poaching-frying-pan

I prsefer the ones sans non-stick for a longer life. A knob of butter does the trick.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Why would anyone watch any of these videos? It's a mystery to me. People are sick in the head.
    Quite.
  • Options
    biggles said:

TimS said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Or something like that!
    Out of interest, what percentage of the population have beard and sandals?
    Me!
  • Options
    edited October 2023

MattW said:

MattW said:

Deep link:

I eventually decided it was better than the BBC's effort, which certainly wasn't what I expected.
    It was a shock - as is normal for podcasts - to watch the video version from New York and seeing
    what they all actually look like.

Back to the problems of judging by appearance :smile: , the best ever example being Susan Boyle.
    https://youtu.be/RxPZh4AnWyk?t=40
This discussion has been closed.