Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My 25/1 tip for our next EU Commissioner

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Does anyone in PB think UKIP will replace the Tories as the second party in the "North" at the GE2015 ?

I do not mean that UKIP will win any seat but could come a creditable second in many. The Tories also will win a few seats but fewer than 2010.

Tories will probably win the same number of seats in the South.
  • Options

Either Cameron will win or they will be in opposition; so why should this be different to your b?

They remaind one party depite Maastricht in government or Lisbon in opposition. Why would a further treaty be more stressful than those?

Infighting yes, but a split? No way.

@foxinsoxuk

You are deluding yourself. The tories have had plenty of opportunity to split over Europe in the last 20 years and have not done so. Anna Soubry, Ken Clark, John Redwood and Dan Hannan all remain in the same party. They have their differences but more in common.

There have been no serious opportunities to split because

a) Unless they went on mass as the SDP did where would Euroscpetics split to? Until UKIP became a credible alternative Eurosceptics had nowhere to go.

b) The Tories have spent the larger part of that 20 years in opposition when they could gloss over their differences and make generic Eurosceptic noises without any real possibility of actually having to do anything.

c) Until the EU issue comes to a head - e.g. A referendum or major treaty when they are in power (unlikely granted) the strength of the Tories wider unity has not really been tested.

Basically their division on the issue has in many ways insulated them from the worst case outcome of such differences. So far that is, but how long they can equivocate over it is another matter.

Either Cameron will win or they will be in opposition; so why should this be different to your b?

If Cameron wins he has to have a referendum and finally the unity of the remaining Tories will be fully tested. If they are back in opposition they can go back to pretending to be Eurosceptics although with considerably less credibility and pretend until the next time that they are a unified party.

They remaind one party depite Maastricht in government or Lisbon in opposition. Why would a further treaty be more stressful than those?

The cumulative stress of such matters.This is a party that has fought over such issues for 40 years. There is only so much punishment that even the most resilient of institutions can withstand. Not only that but at the time of Maastricht there was no real political opposition to them on the issue except internally and for Lisbon they didn't have to do anything except make disapproving noises without any responsibility.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    MikeL said:

Howard would be a great appointment.

But surely his age is going to stop him because of the travelling involved. By its nature the job is presumably going to require him to be in Brussels most of the time plus there may well be a need for a fair amount of additional travel around Europe.

Is he really going to want to do the above from age 73 to 78? Seems very unlikely to me.

If the job was based in Central London then it would be a completely different matter.

A great shame as Howard would be the perfect choice.

But I think the thread is on to something - I would have thought Cameron will be looking for a high ranking Conservative who is not an MP.

Who else can the experts on here identify?

Portillo?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    surbiton said:

Does anyone in PB think UKIP will replace the Tories as the second party in the "North" at the GE2015 ?

I do not mean that UKIP will win any seat but could come a creditable second in many. The Tories also will win a few seats but fewer than 2010.

surbiton said:

What is the UKIP position on the NHS? Academies? The EA (topically)?

UKIP ain't going to replace any party anywhere on anything as long as they are a single (double-) issue protest party.

They need to get themselves a manifesto. And quickly.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    TOPPING said:

That's the last thing they need.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

UKIP ain't going to replace any party anywhere on anything as long as they are a single (double-) issue protest party.

Sometimes not having a manifesto or even policies help. How many people read a manifesto. I was a Councillor once. I hadn't read my own !
  • Options
    Howard for EU commissioner: Is Transylvania inside the EU ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

TOPPING said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

What is Ed's position on the NHS? Or the EA? Never heard about UKIP and grammar schools?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Neil said:

TOPPING said:

UKIP need to get their apostrophe's in place before they start thinking about a manifesto.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @smithersjones

'The only thing at this time that would scupper UKIP currently would be our withdrawal from the EU and with the three establishment parties all opposed to that then there doesn't seem much likelihood.'

If we have a referendum & vote to stay in that's the end of the issue for at least a generation.

If we vote to leave then UKIP will have reached it's objective,apart from that what does UKIP have to offer that the three existing overlapping parties don't already offer?

How long will the one/two donors continue to bankroll UKIP under the above circumstances?

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    john_zims said:

@smithersjones

'The only thing at this time that would scupper UKIP currently would be our withdrawal from the EU and with the three establishment parties all opposed to that then there doesn't seem much likelihood.'

If we have a referendum & vote to stay in that's the end of the issue for at least a generation.

If we vote to leave then UKIP will have reached it's objective,apart from that what does UKIP have to offer that the three existing overlapping parties don't already offer?

How long will the one/two donors continue to bankroll UKIP under the above circumstances?

UKIP break even on membership dues, and small donations. It's a small outfit.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/political-parties-campaigning-and-donations/political-parties-annual-accounts/2012#UKIP

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    I can't see an ex Tory leader being put forward. It always felt uncomfortable that Labour put Kinnock forward. I agree entirely with the early thoughts that a capable MP won't be sacrificed, so I think we'll finish up with someone like Coe (but not actually him).
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,378
    What about Lord Ashcroft for European Commissioner? Now quite well respected on all sides due to his polling prowess. Would have the added bonus of keeping him out of trouble in the year coming up to the election and stop him letting slip inconvenient truths. Would he want it?
  • Options
    Would Michael Portillo's tv work get in the way?

He is often thought of as the one who paved the way for Camerons type of Conservative
  • Options
    @johnzims

Really? And if the EU demands we adopt the Euro 5 years after the referendum? Or demands to take over tax policy? There is no finite end to the EU debate. As I said it is not an abstract like the voting system debate.

Thats what I said but that said UKIP are developing their policy portfolio. As for policies not offered there happens to be an opening for a small state, low tax, devolved government/ localist party as it goes.

Donors tend to bankroll parties whilst they have an interest in doing so. If UKIP are offering low taxes for business say for example that is one reason continue to sponsor them.

Basically UKIP will behave like any other party.......
  • Options
    isam said:

He is often thought of as the one who paved the way for Camerons type of Conservative

Portillo will neither seek nor be sought for the job of EU Commissioner..

• Options
    isam said:

Mr Portillo has said Britain would be better off out of the EU.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/398188/Leave-the-disastrous-EU-urges-Tory-heavyweight-Michael-Portillo
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Now that is an interesting candidate!
    MJW said:

What about Lord Ashcroft for European Commissioner? Now quite well respected on all sides due to his polling prowess. Would have the added bonus of keeping him out of trouble in the year coming up to the election and stop him letting slip inconvenient truths. Would he want it?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

Portillo will neither seek nor be sought for the job of EU Commissioner..

Portillo will take the appointment under protest !
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    AveryLP said:

Neil said:

TOPPING said:

UKIP need to get their apostrophe's in place before they start thinking about a manifesto.

Their apostrophe's what?

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    How about John Major as our EU Commissioner?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Merely on the basis of who I think might fit I'd suggest David Davis.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    JackW said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

Michael Heaver ‏@Michael_Heaver 21m

UKIP increases vote fivefold in a by-election, Tories and LibDems get hammered but @JohnRentoul frames UKIP as the loser. Really?

I thought UKIP did well. The Tories kept mum. 11% swing from Tory to Labour !!
    Essentially this is all about expectations for Ukip, who are in Westminster terms an insurgent party.

Failing to win a Westminster seat remains a big negative on the Ukip balance sheet and no amount of distant second places, as this by-election was, can avert the notion that they are flattering to deceive at this level.

The telly media's reaction to Bloom vs their non-reaction to Hancock, Yeo and Mercer shows why the last thing Ukip needs is an early solitary MP with bleep going through their bins at four in the morning.

Ukip getting cemented in as the main challenger in most seats with c. 20%+ everywhere is better imo and once that is cemented in then "events" e.g. if the EU is as massively flawed as all the sensible people say it is then without a massive credit bubble to hide it those flaws will become increasingly obvious.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889
    rcs1000 said:

On a totally different note, I am loving Six Frigates, which is a wonderful history of the founding of the US Navy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Frigates-Epic-History-Founding/dp/039333032X

This one, please? How far have you got with it? Might try it ...
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

AveryLP said:

Neil said:

TOPPING said:

Their apostrophe's what?

Its' my joke.

Stop being possessive.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

I like that idea. Does he get on with the Cameroons?

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Cyclefree said:

I thought he was quite close to Cameron but maybe he's less in favour now after his remarks about the energy companies and IDS. But he is a political heavyweight (which would flatter the EU bureaucrats and politicians, essential if anything is to be done) and knows all about European negotiations so that should count in his favour, assuming he wants it.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited February 2014

Cyclefree said:

It would be one appointment backed by all parties, I would think.
  • Options
    Would love to hear the story Audrey alluded to below.
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    MrJones said:

The telly media's reaction to Bloom vs their non-reaction to Hancock, Yeo and Mercer shows why the last thing Ukip needs is an early solitary MP with bleep going through their bins at four in the morning.

Ukip getting cemented in as the main challenger in most seats with c. 20%+ everywhere is better imo and once that is cemented in then "events" e.g. if the EU is as massively flawed as all the sensible people say it is then without a massive credit bubble to hide it those flaws will become increasingly obvious.

Nonsense. A political party without MPs is like sex without orgasm.

Frustrating and ultimately pointless.

• Options
    Another very good choice, perhaps not eurosceptical enough for some, but a real headbanger would not work well with the other commissioners.
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I thought he was quite close to Cameron but maybe he's less in favour now after his remarks about the energy companies and IDS. But he is a political heavyweight (which would flatter the EU bureaucrats and politicians, essential if anything is to be done) and knows all about European negotiations so that should count in his favour, assuming he wants it.

• Options
    What price is Adebayor for this gig?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,394
    edited February 2014
    Monty said:

MrJones said:

You mean you never heard of tantric sex? :)
  • Options
    Monty said:

MrJones said:

Frustrating and ultimately pointless

So exactly the same as MPs then?
  • Options
    If you create multiple scenarios based on different sets of premises then you get different possibilities for EU commissioner.

For example if one scenario is you assume Cameron is a 100% Europhile who thinks he's going to lose and doesn't care at all about the short-term consequences for the Cons and just wants the most Europhile to get it (who isn't too old) then I can't see it being anyone but Clegg.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Howard for EU commissioner: Is Transylvania inside the EU ?

You mean you never heard of that bit of Romania that used to be part of Austria-Hungary?
  • Options
    How much longer am I going to have to wait for a blue lead in a poll - the exciting tortuous tension is almost as much as my waiting for Spurs to let me down in the last game of the season when it appears 4th is in the bag.... or of course Man Utd then winning the Champions League if by some miracle we do get 4th....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Before we can guess the answer, we need to know the question. What will Cameron want to do with the nomination?

1. Appoint a very effective commissioner. Obviously would be nice but in that case, to general surprise, he might renominate Ashton if she's willing. Howard would fit this well too if he wants it. It's naive to think this is the only purpose, though.

2. Get rid of a dangerous rival. But there's only one that really stands out - Boris. He might be tempted, but probably has his eye on the main prize, which this would pretty well rule out. He'd also not like the job - Boris is many things, but a man for detailed backstage discussions with the slow-moving Commission he isn't.

3. Display Euroscepticism. Appointing David Davis would work up to a point, and do a bit of point 2 as well.

4. Cheer up an unhappy colleague. That could be Mitchell. i may be wrong, but my strong impression is that, regardless of plebgate, Cameron really doesn't like him, or feel he needs to do anything for him. By contrast he does like Lansley...but it would mean a by-election.

5. Have a quiet life. It's not obvious that Cameron needs a high-profile appointment, especially if it's a senior Tory - too easily seen as jobs for the boys, and returns the news to UKIP's favourite subject. This points to a non-MP (no by-election) and perhaps some senior non-party figure, such as a leading businessman.

Like all these open-ended markets where actually it could be any of dozens of people, I think only the bookmakers and the insiders win.

• Options
    Monty said:

MrJones said:

I have so many gags I want to make right now, but as acting Editor of PB, I have to be above making smutty gags.

Anything major happen in the world of politics today?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Before we can guess the answer, we need to know the question. What will Cameron want to do with the nomination?

1. Appoint a very effective commissioner. Obviously would be nice but in that case, to general surprise, he might renominate Ashton if she's willing. Howard would fit this well too if he wants it. It's naive to think this is the only purpose, though.

2. Get rid of a dangerous rival. But there's only one that really stands out - Boris. He might be tempted, but probably has his eye on the main prize, which this would pretty well rule out. He'd also not like the job - Boris is many things, but a man for detailed backstage discussions with the slow-moving Commission he isn't.

3. Display Euroscepticism. Appointing David Davis would work up to a point, and do a bit of point 2 as well.

4. Cheer up an unhappy colleague. That could be Mitchell. i may be wrong, but my strong impression is that, regardless of plebgate, Cameron really doesn't like him, or feel he needs to do anything for him. By contrast he does like Lansley...but it would mean a by-election.

5. Have a quiet life. It's not obvious that Cameron needs a high-profile appointment, especially if it's a senior Tory - too easily seen as jobs for the boys, and returns the news to UKIP's favourite subject. This points to a non-MP (no by-election) and perhaps some senior non-party figure, such as a leading businessman.

Like all these open-ended markets where actually it could be any of dozens of people, I think only the bookmakers and the insiders win.

We need David Davis in the UK, as he seems to be the only person actually standing up for civil liberties against the Big Brother state.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Why on Earth would appointing the guy who signed Maastrict be a sensible choice unless he was deliberately trying to wind up the eurosceptics?
  • Options

isam said:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/398188/Leave-the-disastrous-EU-urges-Tory-heavyweight-Michael-Portillo
    Yes, and I believe it's actually against the laws of the EU to be a Commissioner and not support european integration. Absurdly illiberal, but that's the EU for you.
  • Options
    FPT

My guess at the political impact of floods.

Short-term depends on whether the government gets net blame for not showing any noticeable sign of competence or the EA gets it for their environment / flood defense priorities since the EU flood directives. If the blame is evenly balanced and/or if the weather is blamed then it is likely to even out.

However a side-effect of that, given the telly media spin, is a big push by the global warming cult. Thing about that is it provides a perfect opportunity for sensible people to take the momentum generated by the telly media and flip it into demand for improved flood and sea defenses. This will work well cos the cultists won't want improved flood and sea defenses because they're a cult and want the Western world to be punished for the sin of pollution.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

the French will be happy with a Frenchwoman

That's a bit like saying Cameron and Osborne would be happy for it to be a Brit if Gordon Brown got the job. The socialists detest her.
  • Options

How much longer am I going to have to wait for a blue lead in a poll - the exciting tortuous tension is almost as much as my waiting for Spurs to let me down in the last game of the season when it appears 4th is in the bag.... or of course Man Utd then winning the Champions League if by some miracle we do get 4th....

Don't worry by then Arsenal will have slipped out of the top 4. They'll win the Champions League and keep you out.

• Options

Don't worry by then Arsenal will have slipped out of the top 4. They'll win the Champions League and keep you out.

That's what Chelsea did, and childish as it is I have to admit that was almost the most enjoyable thing about winning it.
  • Options
    Monty said:

MrJones said:

I'm not saying without MPs permanently. I'm saying having 1 or 2 MPs early is more likely to be damaging than not especially if you think there's a good chance of getting a bunch in one go in a bit.
  • Options

That's what Chelsea did, and childish as it is I have to admit that was almost the most enjoyable thing about winning it.
    Really. You surprise me.
  • Options

Really. You surprise me.
    I know and I apologise.

If it's any consolation I have a penance to suffer, both my son-in-laws are Spurs fans, and now so are my four grandsons. They turn up here with their Tottenham kits on and I won't let them in!

What do you make of Sherwood, he seems an unreconstructed coach with old school values, but his results can't be argued with and getting the best out of Adebayor is genius.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @magnusllewellin: Salmond told by Yes colleagues: prepare to dump the pound http://t.co/y67rhAc5Gm #indyref
  • Options
    the response by Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s Deputy First Minister, was that Scotland would default on part of its UK debt if Westminster declined to share the pound. There was no indication in Ms Sturgeon’s comments that she understood that Scotland would immediately see a huge rise in its borrowing costs.

This was but one example of a presumption by independence campaigners that the rest of the world as well as the rest of the UK owes them support. If an independent Scotland seeks entry to a sterling area, to the European single market, to Nato and to other arrangements, it will necessarily have to abide by the rules. shoulder the risks and bear the costs
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/leaders/article4007313.ece
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

On a totally different note, I am loving Six Frigates, which is a wonderful history of the founding of the US Navy

It looks interesting, and gets good reviews on Amazon.

I notice the hardback has 560 pages, but the paperback has 592 pages. Is this usual?

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited February 2014

Really. You surprise me.
    I know and I apologise.

If it's any consolation I have a penance to suffer, both my son-in-laws are Spurs fans, and now so are my four grandsons. They turn up here with their Tottenham kits on and I won't let them in!

What do you make of Sherwood, he seems an unreconstructed coach with old school values, but his results can't be argued with and getting the best out of Adebayor is genius.
    Tim lives up the road from me and is a nice guy I gather. Barndoor was an easy decision and luckily he's in the mood to break sweat - whether he can keep that up for the rest of the season makes you even more nervous than normal as a Spurs fan....

Looking at March we play Arse, Chelsea, Saints and Lpool and if Tim can get say 8 points out of those then an easier run in for the last 6 games (on paper) could get him the job! Well until it all goes wrong in September 2014... and we bring in another sap probably after us selling Vertonghen to Man U.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

The graph has been updated this afternoon........Mind the gap!
  • Options
    That Unionist rag.....The Wall StreetJournal:

That suggests the actual freedom an independent Scotland might enjoy would be limited to hard choices. Until Mr. Salmond starts spelling some of those out, it is he who is vulnerable to the charge of bluster.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303945704579387021859027340?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303945704579387021859027340.html
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Scott_P said:

the response by Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s Deputy First Minister, was that Scotland would default on part of its UK debt if Westminster declined to share the pound. There was no indication in Ms Sturgeon’s comments that she understood that Scotland would immediately see a huge rise in its borrowing costs.

This was but one example of a presumption by independence campaigners that the rest of the world as well as the rest of the UK owes them support. If an independent Scotland seeks entry to a sterling area, to the European single market, to Nato and to other arrangements, it will necessarily have to abide by the rules. shoulder the risks and bear the costs

Delusional from Sturgeon. Here's a funny thing: Scottish independence creates English independence too (well rUK really but hey England will be 90% plus) and guess what they'll have an English electorate to answer too.

So Scotland reneges on its debt: hmm boycott of all Scottish exports, border controls at Carlisle and Berwick, restriction of citizenship for Scots, no armed forces division (hang on to those ships and tanks), veto Scottish EU entry etc etc? It should all go down well enough with an English electorate feeling short changed by Ms Sturgeon refusing to pay her share of the debt. And that ignores the international bond markets possibly just possibly deciding a small new country with a huge neighbour it's pissed off maybe won't get Swiss borrowing rates.

Scotland is a viable state, just not in the way the SNP are portraying it.
  • Options
    The frigate battles were quite interesting, but the US frigates were heavier armed and crewed relative to the Royal Navy. The simulation game "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" works particulary well for these single ship actions: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_Ships_and_Iron_Men

NPXMP may have experience of the computer version, mine was the cardboard version.

Tim_B said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

I notice the hardback has 560 pages, but the paperback has 592 pages. Is this usual?

• Options

Really. You surprise me.
    I know and I apologise.

Tim lives up the road from me and is a nice guy I gather. Barndoor was an easy decision and luckily he's in the mood to break sweat - whether he can keep that up for the rest of the season makes you even more nervous than normal as a Spurs fan....

Looking at March we play Arse, Chelsea, Saints and Lpool and if Tim can get say 8 points out of those then an easier run in for the last 6 games (on paper) could get him the job! Well until it all goes wrong in September 2014... and we bring in another sap probably after us selling Vertonghen to Man U.
    I get the impression that club owners prefer a trendy young coach such as the hapless AVB to someone like Sherwood.

The best coaches over the years are man managers not tacticians, Hoddle was brilliant on the trainîng field but hopeless in the dressing room, similarly Don Howe was the best coach of his era but hopeless with people.

What makes me laugh is that for all that modern tactics bollocks, all they have really done is gone back to the old 2-3-5 I started out playing in 1960, with all that send the full backs wide, then the centre backs so the central midfielder comes deep to receive the ball. No different to my early days with half backs and inside forwards.
  • Options
    The Salmond/Sturgeon tantrum on this issue is quite worrying. It is not the sort of threat to make if Scotland wants a good neighbour. They sound a bit rattled to me. Its not going to plan.
    welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

Delusional from Sturgeon. Here's a funny thing: Scottish independence creates English independence too (well rUK really but hey England will be 90% plus) and guess what they'll have an English electorate to answer too.

So Scotland reneges on its debt: hmm boycott of all Scottish exports, border controls at Carlisle and Berwick, restriction of citizenship for Scots, no armed forces division (hang on to those ships and tanks), veto Scottish EU entry etc etc? It should all go down well enough with an English electorate feeling short changed by Ms Sturgeon refusing to pay her share of the debt. And that ignores the international bond markets possibly just possibly deciding a small new country with a huge neighbour it's pissed off maybe won't get Swiss borrowing rates.

• Options
    edited February 2014

The frigate battles were quite interesting, but the US frigates were heavier armed and crewed relative to the Royal Navy. The simulation game "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" works particulary well for these single ship actions: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_Ships_and_Iron_Men

NPXMP may have experience of the computer version, mine was the cardboard version.

Me too! I still prefer cardboard to be honest. I've been playing the SF game Eclipse, which is good and replayable, but has some silly ship models which clutter up the board. Lo and behold, they've brought out another expansion, which is 95% simply a new set of slightly less silly ship models, and almost no change to the game. A deluded friend rushed out and bought it. 45 euros for a big, largely empty box...
    http://www.lautapelit.fi/Eclipse_Ship_Pack_One

• Options
    welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

Oh and not only that we could probably sue them as well (as we are Iceland)

• Options

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

The graph has been updated this afternoon........Mind the gap!

It's a pity it's not up to date... the guy who does it has added in the YouGov poll but not ComRes and Opinium. I would have done it (assuming data tables are available) but have been out most of the day. It won't make much difference but might have made a difference to the UKIP downtick.

• Options
    I must put on record how grateful I am to the SNP. They are providing endless amusement.

That it comes as a complete surprise to them that a currency union requires the consent of both parties, or that joining the EU would require Scotland to, how can I put this, join the EU, is brilliant.

More please!
  • Options
    Major fleet battles with ships of the line were rather unweildly, perhaps best played with teams, but my games didnt run to that. The suggestion in your book to play without the rules on boarding is a good one. Too often this spoiled the game.

Me too! I still prefer cardboard to be honest. I've been playing the SF game Eclipse, which is good and replayable, but has some silly ship models which clutter up the board. Lo and behold, they've brought out another expansion, which is 95% simply a new set of slightly less silly ship models, and almost no change to the game. A deluded friend rushed out and bought it. 45 euros for a big, largely empty box...
    http://www.lautapelit.fi/Eclipse_Ship_Pack_One

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889
    Tim_B said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Thanks for the heads up. Bit odd the extra pages, but maybe it's an excerpt from the author's next book. Will see if Amazon lets one look inside ...

While on the subject of USN heavy frigates (almost the Panzerschiffe such as Graf Spee of their day, perhaps) , I recently bought this - maybe for real enthusiasts but I did enjoy the multiauthor approach and the wider context to the Shannon vs Chesapeake, right down to the surviving timbers in a mill ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broke-Shannon-War-1812-Voelcker/dp/1848321791/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392591518&sr=8-1&keywords=broke+shannon
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

Oh and not only that we could probably sue them as well (as we are Iceland)

Very strange from Sturgeon. What an independent Scotland will need - at least in the first years - is for investors not to "look down" - like the cartoon character who runs off the cliff. Now that's certainly possible, as long as you give them no reason to do so. Defaulting on Scotland's obligations would be one.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

the response by Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s Deputy First Minister, was that Scotland would default on part of its UK debt if Westminster declined to share the pound.

An independent Scotland wouldn't exist unit the UK parliament passed an act creating it. I'd expect that act to contain an explicit debt/asset split.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Tim_B said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Thanks for the heads up. Bit odd the extra pages, but maybe it's an excerpt from the author's next book. Will see if Amazon lets one look inside ...

While on the subject of USN heavy frigates (almost the Panzerschiffe such as Graf Spee of their day, perhaps) , I recently bought this - maybe for real enthusiasts but I did enjoy the multiauthor approach and the wider context to the Shannon vs Chesapeake, right down to the surviving timbers in a mill ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broke-Shannon-War-1812-Voelcker/dp/1848321791/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392591518&sr=8-1&keywords=broke+shannon
    I assumed that the page size difference was the reason.

Amazon.com seems to have more info than amazon.co.uk. Your userid and pasword work on both sites.
  • Options
    First, the line that it’s Scotland’s pound too. This is straightforwardly wrong in law.,,,,,,'. The currency is not Scotland’s (and it’s not England’s either). It is the currency of the United Kingdom. If Scotland votes Yes to independence it will have voted to leave the United Kingdom: that’s exactly what “independence” means — independence from the United Kingdom. If Scotland leaves the UK it leaves the UK’s public institutions, which would become the institutions of the rest of the UK.

http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/the-snps-currency-nightmare/
  • Options

I must put on record how grateful I am to the SNP. They are providing endless amusement.

That it comes as a complete surprise to them that a currency union requires the consent of both parties, or that joining the EU would require Scotland to, how can I put this, join the EU, is brilliant.

More please!

I'm enjoying the unionist parties pretending a currency union is unworkable and EU officials pretending Scottish membership would be such a problem it would be impossible to arrange.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

the response by Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s Deputy First Minister, was that Scotland would default on part of its UK debt if Westminster declined to share the pound.
    An independent Scotland wouldn't exist unit the UK parliament passed an act creating it. I'd expect that act to contain an explicit debt/asset split.

How does this all work?

I know that Scottish banks print their own currency - I have several RBS 5 pound notes of legal tender that have Jack Nicklaus' picture on, rather than HMQ.

Do they print independently, under licence from the BOE, or what?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    Neil said:

More please!

I'm enjoying the unionist parties pretending a currency union is unworkable and EU officials pretending Scottish membership would be such a problem it would be impossible to arrange.
    The difference is that the unionist parties and the EU officials are in a position to say No.

However, I gather that in Gaelic there's no word for No. That might explain why our SNP friends are having such difficulty understanding the concept.
  • Options
    That does sound an interesting work on the wider issues. The amazon review is robustly on the side of the RN!

I expect that you have read NAM Rodgers excellent work on the Navy : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Ocean-History-Britain-1649-1815-ebook/dp/B002RI9XVK/ref=la_B000APIJRQ_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392592057&sr=1-1

I hope the third volume is as good!

This one is good as well, not least as one of my ancestors features briefly: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Admirals-Andrew-Lambert-ebook/dp/B004MW5FY8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392592560&sr=1-1&keywords=admirals
    Carnyx said:

Tim_B said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    I must put on record how grateful I am to the obsequious Cameroons. They are providing endless amusement.

That it comes as a complete surprise to them that Osborne isn't popular or trusted in scotland, or that Cammie's Cast Iron EU Referendum Pledges would , how can I put this, require tories as gullible as they are to believe a word of them, is brilliant.

More please!

LOL

:)
  • Options

Neil said:

More please!

The difference is that the unionist parties and the EU officials are in a position to say No.

However, I gather that in Gaelic there's no word for No. That might explain why our SNP friends are having such difficulty understanding the concept.
    The unionist parties and EU officials are saying whatever ridiculous thing they think will help defeat the independence referendum.

The Irish language has many very expressive ways of saying no, I'd be surprised if all of them were lost when it crossed over to western Scotland.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:

How does this all work?

I know that Scottish banks print their own currency - I have several RBS 5 pound notes of legal tender that have Jack Nicklaus' picture on, rather than HMQ.

Do they print independently, under licence from the BOE, or what?

Bank notes, or promissory notes to give them their correct name, were originally issued by private banks. This included the Bank of England which didn't become 'state-owned' until the twentieth century.

From the mid 19th century onwards Parliament started to restrict the right of individual banks to issue bank notes due to shortage of gold reserves. In England and Wales (and British Crown Dependencies) the exclusive right to issue bank notes was granted to the Bank of England.

Banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland were not covered by this legislation and, still today, seven banks (3 in Scotland and 4 in NI) continue to issue their own notes.

Interestingly, BoE Sterling bank notes are not legal tender in Scotland: they are accepted purely on a custom and practice 'de facto' basis.

If you accept that the UK is the guarantor of last resort of UK retail banks and that bank note issue is a retail banking operation, then the UK Government through the BoE guarantees the issue of Scottish and NI bank notes. This obviously applies in practice but I wouldn't want to be a lawyer charged with the task of establishing a legal basis in a court of law!

• Options
    Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland. In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.
    http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't have a dog in this fight, except that my wife is a Scot.

If Scotland wishes to leave the UK, why would they want to, (or more to the point why would the UK let them, other than for a transitionary period), continue to use the UK sterling currency?

It's just a simple question, I don't mind either way as it doesn't affect me, but it seems to be generating much sturm und drang.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Yes, and I believe it's actually against the laws of the EU to be a Commissioner and not support european integration. Absurdly illiberal, but that's the EU for you.
    Even as the integrated son of a Spanish refugee father and Scottish mother!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Neil said:

The unionist parties and EU officials are saying whatever ridiculous thing they think will help defeat the independence referendum.

No, that's not right. In both cases they are actually stating the completely obvious - that it takes two to tango (ot twenty-eight in the case of the EU) - even if they are perhaps over-egging it a bit.

A full currency union is a complete non-starter, for all the reasons Osborne, Carney and others have laid out. That doesn't mean that there wouldn't be some amicable arrangement, but it would be something vague and non-binding, such as a commitment for the UK to bear Scotland in mind when setting policy.

The need to join the EU is a rather trickier problem for Salmond. It would obviously need a new treaty, and Spain in particular would be a problem in that respect. I think the most likely outcome is some sort of Euro-fudge, making Scotland some kind of associate member while they figure out what to do next.

But all that isn't what amuses me - it's the fact that the SNP seem to think they can impose whatever they like on the rest of the world.
  • Options

Really. You surprise me.
    I know and I apologise.

As an Arsenal fan it pains me to say it, but I actually likè Sherwood. Down to earth old school, football man, the lack of pretentiousness after AVB is refreshing.

Thát said, we haven t given you a spanking at the lane or far too long, so lets hope it' happens in a month or so!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland. In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.
    http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

Thanks - you have managed to convey much information without telling me much - just like an old IBM user manual :-)

Did you work out what my profile picture is yet?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Neil said:

More please!

Who gives a F what some cloney Irish green thinks about British politix. The important thing is is that, with some goading and provocation, I extracted from uniondivvie the Greatest Bet in PB History this afternoon.

Consequent on my gloating and blatant prodding, cybernat uniondivvie agreed to a £100 AT EVENS, with me, that Scotland would vote No.

This meant that I am bound to make a profit, whatever the result, as I can now wager the requisite sum on Yes at the bookies (current best odds 4/1 against Yes) and unfailingly win money, even if uniondivvie wins his bet at evens.

Has anyone on pb ever ensured such easy money?

I suggest a new pb law: always bet against someone emotionally over-invested in the outcome.

Much as I for one missed you Sean, being a smug smartarse is not a good trait.

Enjoy your winnings but don't gloat, a bad winner is worse than a sore loser
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Interestingly, Gordon Brown set in motion (2000) the chain of events that flooded the Somerset levels.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/pfyptfu

What a busy chap he was..
  • Options

A full currency union is a complete non-starter, for all the reasons Osborne, Carney and others have laid out.

Of course it's not a non-starter. In fact the ridiculousness of the Lib Dems, whose official policy is eventual currency union with the eurozone, stating that currency union between Scotland and the rUK would be unworkable is probably the funniest position of all. We all know why the unionists are saying these things. Let's not pretend they are any different to the nationalists.
  • Options
    @SeanT

I'm afraid that's nothing compared to the 8/1 Mark Senior gave to me for Caroline Lucas to retain her seat when Labour were available at better than evens.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

isam said:

Unlike most of the gullible PB tories on here he doesn't seem to trust Cammie's every word.
    Michael Portillo: Cameron's EU referendum is an 'insincere ploy'

Imagine the hilarity if most of Cammie's own backbench MPs didn't trust the incompetent fop's feeble posturing?
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics Jan 30

David Cameron left bruised and humiliated after being forced to raise the white flag to Tory immigration rebels: http://bit.ly/1loqGaO

You have to wonder why anyone would be gullible enough to believe the inept posturing from Cammie's chumocracy.
    Conservatives could hold Lisbon Treaty referendum after ratification

A Conservative government could hold a referendum on the European Union's Lisbon Treaty even if it has already been ratified, William Hague has said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/3097376/Conservatives-could-hold-Lisbon-Treaty-referendum-after-ratification.html
    So why on earth would anyone doubt the honesty of Cammie's posturing? It's quite the puzzle.

*chuckles*
  • Options
    Neil said:

Of course it's not a non-starter. In fact the ridiculousness of the Lib Dems, whose official policy is eventual currency union with the eurozone, stating that currency union between Scotland and the rUK would be unworkable is probably the funniest position of all. We all know why the unionists are saying these things. Let's not pretend they are any different to the nationalists.

Of course it's a non-starter. Why on earth would any UK government, of any political persuasion, act as a lender of last resort to a foreign country? It's a position of potential loss with no compensatory profit.

As for the LibDems, well, I'm not their spokesman! But I think they want political union as well, don't they? (Admittedly they might be trying to keep quiet about this at the moment). Of course you can have a workable currency union if you have political union. That's what we've got at the moment in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, except that my wife is a Scot.

If Scotland wishes to leave the UK, why would they want to, (or more to the point why would the UK let them, other than for a transitionary period), continue to use the UK sterling currency?

It's just a simple question, I don't mind either way as it doesn't affect me, but it seems to be generating much sturm und drang.

I don't really care either, but my guess is that the SNP wishes the separation to appear unproblematic and painless, and having a new currency doesn't sound like that, even if they might later wish to move on to it. Conversely, the unionists want it to sound messy and painful, and anyway probably don't really want an independent country in orbit around the same currency.

Major fleet battles with ships of the line were rather unweildly, perhaps best played with teams, but my games didnt run to that. The suggestion in your book to play without the rules on boarding is a good one. Too often this spoiled the game.

Flattering and unnerving to encounter someone who knows my book better than I do! Does SeanT have this problem? Do people ask him for details of the torture on page 47 and he can't remember a damn thing about it?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

john_zims said:

@smithersjones2013

'Jack there is a simple reason why UKIP will prosper when previous insurgency party's haven't. It's called the EU and unless one of the main party's suddenly becomes secessionist then UKIP's future is secured.'

But if we do get an EU referendum it will result in the demise of UKIP,hence,their trying to kick it into the long grass.

Er no. It is clear that UKIP are positioning themselves to be far more than just an anti-EU party. They intend to stake a claim to the right wing of British politics on a permanent basis.

Now personally I disagree with this fundamentally, not least because I suspect that once the EU issue is resolved they will become a far more reactionary party even than they are now and the Libertarian element like me will abandon them.

But whatever my personal views I have to accept that I appear to be in the minority and that UKIP intends to remain as a reactionary force within British politics for the foreseeable future.
    I think you take your support where you can find it. UKIP have found quite a big chunk of the electorate who are to the right of the Conservatives, on social issues, while pretty centrist, on economic issues.
  • Options
    Why should rUK want to enter a currency union with Scotland?

They assert this (as if the SNP are the arbiters of what’s in the rUK’s interests!) because of the large volume of trade between Scotland and the rUK. Keeping the same currency minimises transaction costs and is good for business. Well, yes, all true. Except that only 10% of rUK business is with Scotland, whereas 40% of it is with the eurozone and 20% of it is with the US. On the SNP’s own analysis, then, it would make four times as much sense for the rUK to adopt the euro and twice as much sense to seek a currency union with the USA than to seek a currency union with Scotland. Thus, when the true scale of rUK trade is understood, SNP insistence that a currency union is in the rUK’s best interests rings hollow.

http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/the-snps-currency-nightmare/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    MikeL said:

Howard would be a great appointment.

But surely his age is going to stop him because of the travelling involved. By its nature the job is presumably going to require him to be in Brussels most of the time plus there may well be a need for a fair amount of additional travel around Europe.

Is he really going to want to do the above from age 73 to 78? Seems very unlikely to me.

If the job was based in Central London then it would be a completely different matter.

A great shame as Howard would be the perfect choice.

But I think the thread is on to something - I would have thought Cameron will be looking for a high ranking Conservative who is not an MP.

Who else can the experts on here identify?

I think Howard is the most competent leader the Conservatives have had, since 1990, by some margin. But, would he want the job?

• Options
    edited February 2014

SeanT said:

Neil said:

More please!

Who gives a F what some cloney Irish green thinks about British politix. The important thing is is that, with some goading and provocation, I extracted from uniondivvie the Greatest Bet in PB History this afternoon.

Consequent on my gloating and blatant prodding, cybernat uniondivvie agreed to a £100 AT EVENS, with me, that Scotland would vote No.

This meant that I am bound to make a profit, whatever the result, as I can now wager the requisite sum on Yes at the bookies (current best odds 4/1 against Yes) and unfailingly win money, even if uniondivvie wins his bet at evens.

I suggest a new pb law: always bet against someone emotionally over-invested in the outcome.

Much as I for one missed you Sean, being a smug smartarse is not a good trait.
    He's won nothing and was "smart" and gullible enough to believe Cammie's posturing on the EU. FYI the bet was made because TUD quite rightly feared a bet welcher. Someone who would welch on a bit. Someone so pathetic that the would dream up any revolting excuse to welch on a bet. The fact that bet welching was a massive factor is why TUD made that bet. Are you beginning to understand the bet welching is important yet?

That's bet welching in case you missed it.

Very 'bright' of of SeanT to keep bet welching the spotlight. Let's hope he continues.

:)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

john_zims said:

@smithersjones2013

'Jack there is a simple reason why UKIP will prosper when previous insurgency party's haven't. It's called the EU and unless one of the main party's suddenly becomes secessionist then UKIP's future is secured.'

But if we do get an EU referendum it will result in the demise of UKIP,hence,their trying to kick it into the long grass.

Er no. It is clear that UKIP are positioning themselves to be far more than just an anti-EU party. They intend to stake a claim to the right wing of British politics on a permanent basis.

Now personally I disagree with this fundamentally, not least because I suspect that once the EU issue is resolved they will become a far more reactionary party even than they are now and the Libertarian element like me will abandon them.

But whatever my personal views I have to accept that I appear to be in the minority and that UKIP intends to remain as a reactionary force within British politics for the foreseeable future.
    I think you take your support where you can find it. UKIP have found quite a big chunk of the electorate who are to the right of the Conservatives, on social issues, while pretty centrist, on economic issues.
    Miliband bottled the blue Labour thing that Cruddas and Glasman were working on, and that's when I joined ukip...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Neil said:

More please!

Hey, if that was the only way I was going to get the the Cornwall Capon to bet, so be it.
    I lose a 100 v. you losing your ridiculous construct of a nation and paying me a 100 for extra seasoning, it's a bargain.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Sean_F said:

I think Howard is the most competent leader the Conservatives have had, since 1990, by some margin. But, would he want the job?

He made the most almighty hash of his response to the Hutton Inquiry, jumping the gun and assuming Lord Hutton would criticise the government heavily. Admittedly that was an easy mistake to make in one sense - no sane observer could possibly have expected Hutton's conclusions, given the evidence which the inquiry had already published - but it was still a massive unforced mistake, since there was nothing to be lost by waiting for the final report. And a particularly odd mistake for a lawyer to make. I'd love to ask him why he made it.
  • Options
    Why on earth would any UK government, of any political persuasion, act as a lender of last resort to a foreign country? It's a position of potential loss with no compensatory profit.

Ireland bailout: UK to lend £7bn

• George Osborne confirms British contribution

• Criticism from eurosceptic MPs and rightwing thinktank

• Ireland rules out changes to 12.5% corporation tax

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/nov/22/ireland-bailout-uk-lends-seven-billion
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Neil said:

More please!

Are you a fan of Anthony Bourdain?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Neil said:

More please!

Hey, if that was the only way I was going to get the the Cornwall Capon to bet, so be it.
    I lose a 100 v. you losing your ridiculous construct of a nation and paying me a 100 for extra seasoning, it's a bargain.

The posh lad does seem more than a touch hysterical over scottish issues these days for some peculiar reason. If only he could replicate the meekness of Gildas?

*chortle*

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I bought a copy about a year back. I suspect I have read it more recently than yourself!

It brought back some long forgotton memories. Sadly I have got rid of most of my games (apart from Advanced Squad Leader and that hasn't been out of the box for a while).

Wargaming is a useful bit of training for politics (though my political machinations are in the medical field mostly) The planning ahead, logistics, strategy and tactics as well as coping with an unpredictable opponent who is either very foolish or implementing a cunning plan of their own, the constant need to manage the unpredictable. All these are useful life skills.

I think Anna Soubry has a real grognard as an opponent.

While Mr Salmond seems to want his opponent to play without trying to win. He looks rather out of supply at present, without a contingency plan.

Flattering and unnerving to encounter someone who knows my book better than I do! Does SeanT have this problem? Do people ask him for details of the torture on page 47 and he can't remember a damn thing about it?

This discussion has been closed.