Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My 25/1 tip for our next EU Commissioner

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited February 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My 25/1 tip for our next EU Commissioner

The primary reason I’ve been reluctant to heavily back Andrews Mitchell and Lansley (or any other Tory MP) is that I think David Cameron wants to avoid having an unnecessary by-election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Michael Heaver ‏@Michael_Heaver 21m

UKIP increases vote fivefold in a by-election, Tories and LibDems get hammered but @JohnRentoul frames UKIP as the loser. Really?
  • Options
    Good tip, made even better by the fact that Howard now has the coveted politicalbetting.com endorsement.

Also I think you could make the point about good relations with Cameron even stronger: Cameron owes Howard a huge favour for teeing things up for him, and Cameron is very loyal to his friends.

So the next question is whether Michael Howard wants the job. Maybe he could post in the thread to let us know?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    @isam 18.2 point profit Each Way Double landed by @Raceclear !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@isam 18.2 point profit Each Way Double landed by @Raceclear !

The tried and tested method of their horses winning when Im not on pays off again!
  • Options
    Also on Lansley/Mitchell: I made this point when we discussed them before but neither of them have particularly accomplished careers. Sending a failed politician just gets them dumped in a non-job, so it's not even an effective way to troll the other member states. Like them or not, most of the British commissioners have been quite heavyweight, experienced politicians. (The exception is Ashton, who went from zero to hero.) This is a big, legacy appointment for Cameron, so I doubt he'd blow it on somebody he didn't want in his cabinet, especially if it means risking a by-election.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    You .... yes you .... the spotty boy at the back writing this thread ....

I tipped the old Folkestone grave robber some time before you put you clammy paws all over him !!

Now, take you hands out of your pockets and take one hundred lines :

"JackW" is TOTY and TSE is a pale imitation in comparison
  • Options
    FPT :

@malcolmg wrote :

"I think I can read unlike many on here who claim Carney ruled out a currency union. He merely pointed out the obvious in that both parties need to agree. It is far from certain that the Westminster Yellow Bellies will not agree once reality bites , they are well known for lies and u-turns. So it is perfectly reasonable to have as your plan A , a currency union.
    Unionists seem unable to grasp what Carney really said and continually say he ruled out a currency union, as in arrogant guys like yourself coming out with the drivel above.
    Stick to UKIP."

I never said Carney ruled out a currency union. He's in no position to do so. His position is that should all parties agree then such a union is entirely possible. A perfectly sound position.

What you fail to understand is that one participant has expressly ruled out a currency union. Ergo no currency union is available to an independent Scotland.

Quite what relevance your "Stick to UKIP" final sentence means to me I have no idea ?!?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

UKIP increases vote fivefold in a by-election, Tories and LibDems get hammered but @JohnRentoul frames UKIP as the loser. Really?

I thought UKIP did well. The Tories kept mum. 11% swing from Tory to Labour !!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT

@MJW
    3:32PM
    If support for leaving the EU continues to grow and Salmond wins we could end up with the strange situation of rUK being in and wanting out, and Scotland being out but desperate to get in.
    --------------------
    He,he! that would be the complete confusion. However, the elite and nomenklatura are still desperate to keep Britain in the EU, come what may. On Marr (BBC) this morning, José Manuel Barroso boasted how hard it will be - almost impossible - to renegotiate any alterations to the US series of treaties. Cammo take note!

Only by voting UKIP will we eventually be allowed to decide in a free and fair referendum.
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    On topic. A very plausible candidate although would Howard be enamoured of the 35 Criminal Justice opt outs that the UK is about to opt in to?

Re Rentoul. Absurd. UKIP get a 15% increase in vote share, they treble their actual vote despite the much smaller turnout, they get a small swing to them from Labour when Labour are in the ascendency in one of their heartland seats whilst Libdem and Tory votes have collapsed? I think everybody should avoid whatever Rentoul has been partaking of. Clearly it dulls the logic centre of the brain.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

Essentially this is all about expectations for Ukip, who are in Westminster terms an insurgent party.

Failing to win a Westminster seat remains a big negative on the Ukip balance sheet and no amount of distant second places, as this by-election was, can avert the notion that they are flattering to deceive at this level.

• Options
    Howard would be by quite some margin the oldest Commissioner recently appointed - from a quick scan, the recently retired (age 71) Greek commissioner was 62 when first appointed - the rest are mainly forty and fifty something. Not that that wouldn't make him a good option - and in any case I doubt Mitchell could go forward given pending civil action.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

Incredible the way Rentoul, and I must say OGH, present Wythenshawe as bad for UKIP.. they gained 2900 votes on a reduced turnout and went from 5th to 2nd
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    I think it'll be Mitchell still but 25-1 is still available on Lord Howard so I've put a £2.50 saver on him.
  • Options
    David Cameron would probably like Boris Johnson to accept the post as EU Commissioner. He has plenty of European blood in his background. It avoids a by-election and takes out a rival.

However, Boris is unlikely to accept as he has ambitions as leader of the Conservatives.
  • Options
    JackW said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

Essentially this is all about expectations for Ukip, who are in Westminster terms an insurgent party.

Failing to win a Westminster seat remains a big negative on the Ukip balance sheet and no amount of distant second places, as this by-election was, can avert the notion that they are flattering to deceive at this level.

No matter Jack it's still an absurd statement.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited February 2014
    JackW will remember the days when Labour were the insurgent party, superseding the Liberals.

Jack - do you see UKIP superseding the Conservatives the same way?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Hasn't Cameron promised a referendum, on altered terms if possible, but if not then on current terms of membership?

It is kippers that will prevent this by putting Milliband in Downing street, and not winning a single seat themselves.

I shall be voting to stay in if there were a referendum, and suspect that the Better Off Ins would win.
    MikeK said:

FPT

@MJW
    If support for leaving the EU continues to grow and Salmond wins we could end up with the strange situation of rUK being in and wanting out, and Scotland being out but desperate to get in.
    --------------------
    He,he! that would be the complete confusion. However, the elite and nomenklatura are still desperate to keep Britain in the EU, come what may. On Marr (BBC) this morning, José Manuel Barroso boasted how hard it will be - almost impossible - to renegotiate any alterations to the US series of treaties. Cammo take note!

Only by voting UKIP will we eventually be allowed to decide in a free and fair referendum.

• Options
    Michael Howard is young for his age and his wife is even more so. Earlier this week, the Mail featured her trying on and attempting to spot which of several frocks was the £1000 one and which came from Matalan for a tenner. IIRC neither she nor Michael were correct in their picks.
    But this bit of fun certainly helps to raise their profile ..... hmmm.
    I've followed you in Mike, with just a oncer at 25/1.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    How did UKIP do in Wythenshawe? Shrug your shoulders, alright I s'pose.

Is that good enough? Certainly good enough to keep making lots of noise, but sooner or later they need an earthquake, and there may be very few opportunities now before the 2015 GE.
  • Options

Michael Howard is young for his age and his wife is even more so. Earlier this week, the Mail featured her trying on and attempting to spot which of several frocks was the £1000 one and which came from Matalan for a tenner. IIRC neither she nor Michael were correct in their picks.
    But this bit of fun certainly helps to raise their profile ..... hmmm.
    I've followed you in Mike, with just a oncer at 25/1.

I'm in for a tenner, if he was younger I would go for more.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    isam said:

By-elections are usually more about the media narrative than the result. UKIP have done very well from a standing start, but they need another OMG moments or two, and doing really well in a strong Labour seat was one possibility. That is not generally perceived to have happened - not a bad UKIP result, but even we anoraks might struggle to remember the details in a month's time. However, not a disaster either. There will be another by-election or two and the Euros to potentially deliver that OMG experience.
  • Options

JackW said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

Political commentators caught in the moment are oft to indulge in hyperbole, unlike my good self ..... , but the essential of the case remains that Ukip require a Westminster success to burnish their credentials for 2015 and in that context this by-election was a miss .... again.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

isam said:

By-elections are usually more about the media narrative than the result. UKIP have done very well from a standing start, but they need another OMG moments or two, and doing really well in a strong Labour seat was one possibility. That is not generally perceived to have happened - not a bad UKIP result, but even we anoraks might struggle to remember the details in a month's time. However, not a disaster either. There will be another by-election or two and the Euros to potentially deliver that OMG experience.
    Mr Nuttall said May was all about the local elections the other day.
  • Options

isam said:

Need a by election in a winnable seat to judge fairly I guess

Just a thought, but aren't the Euros a bit of an odd one in the respect that hardened Euro sceptics might not vote in them as they don't think them serious?

I would have thought Europhile parties should have a built in advantage in Euro elections
  • Options
    edited February 2014

JackW will remember the days when Labour were the insurgent party, superseding the Liberals.

No.

The Conservative party is the great survivor and it's notable that since WW1 the three main parties have remained so at Westminster level despite a variety of insurgents running their colours up the electoral mast.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    isam said:

Just a thought, but aren't the Euros a bit of an odd one in the respect that hardened Euro sceptics might not vote in them as they don't think them serious?

I would have thought Europhile parties should have a built in advantage in Euro elections

Cuts both ways, don't you think? Europhiles who feel current arrangements are more or less OK don't necessarily feel the need to rush out and vote. In general Europhiles are not the real enthusiasts like Ken Clarke (and I guess both Anna Soubry and me), but people who feel it's pretty sensible but don't get excited about it. Eurosceptics feel it's all dreadful and needs to change pronto, so are more motivated, probably. Historically, I think Eurosceptics have tended to poll above average in Euros.

That said, I've been genuinekly surprised how seriously Labour is taking it - the scale of leafleting and canvassing going on dwarfs any Euro election that I've seen, and I've been involved in every one since 1995 (when I was a candidate and had 1 helper for the whole of East Sussex and South Kent).
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

Political commentators caught in the moment are oft to indulge in hyperbole, unlike my good self ..... , but the essential of the case remains that Ukip require a Westminster success to burnish their credentials for 2015 and in that context this by-election was a miss .... again.

That is nonsense

It was an unwinnable seat, Labour were 1/10 or shorter to win right from the off.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    JackW said:

FPT :

@malcolmg wrote :

"I think I can read unlike many on here who claim Carney ruled out a currency union. He merely pointed out the obvious in that both parties need to agree. It is far from certain that the Westminster Yellow Bellies will not agree once reality bites , they are well known for lies and u-turns. So it is perfectly reasonable to have as your plan A , a currency union.
    Unionists seem unable to grasp what Carney really said and continually say he ruled out a currency union, as in arrogant guys like yourself coming out with the drivel above.
    Stick to UKIP."

I never said Carney ruled out a currency union. He's in no position to do so. His position is that should all parties agree then such a union is entirely possible. A perfectly sound position.

What you fail to understand is that one participant has expressly ruled out a currency union. Ergo no currency union is available to an independent Scotland.

Quite what relevance your "Stick to UKIP" final sentence means to me I have no idea ?!?

He said it was unlikely he did not rule it out. We shall see when he is negotiating the transfer of assets.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Hasn't Cameron promised a referendum, on altered terms if possible, but if not then on current terms of membership?

It is kippers that will prevent this by putting Milliband in Downing street, and not winning a single seat themselves.

I shall be voting to stay in if there were a referendum, and suspect that the Better Off Ins would win.

MikeK said:

FPT

@MJW
    --------------------

Whether Cameron has promised a referendum or not is irrelevant really because it is your party's (you are a Libdem aren't you?) abject failure to keep its support that has destined Cameron to defeat. You Libdems should not be modest about your achievements. In so many ways (from tuition fees to boundary changes to delaying addressing the English question to your intransigence over the EU) it is down to the Libdems that the Tories will fail in 2015.

There will be no referendum because there will not be a Tory Government and there won't be a Tory government because of the Libdems.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    IF Michael Howard is to be a credible candidate for Euro Commissioner then I would like to see David Cameron give him a prominent role in the Tory Euro election campaign. It would cause UKIP serious discomfort, firstly because he is a known euro-sceptic and secondly as a former MP in the sort of area where PBers claim UKIP support is strongest.

Meanwhile here in Scotland the SNP leadership has gone into fullscale denial. Some are even suggesting the President of the European Commission doesn't know what he is talking about when he says an independent Scotland will not be an EU member, will have to apply to join and in his opinion will be very difficult, if not impossible. Apparently later when contacted by Andrew Neil before the Politics Show he said he was giving an express warning to the YES camp in Scotland that no special treatment or status would be given to a part of a member state which leaves and becomes a state in its own right as it would not be a member state.
  • Options
    Now Scots know: an independent Scotland won’t be Salmond’s ‘same-but-slightly-different’ vision

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/02/now-scots-know-an-independent-scotland-wont-be-salmonds-same-but-slightly-different-vision/
  • Options

isam said:

Cuts both ways, don't you think? Europhiles who feel current arrangements are more or less OK don't necessarily feel the need to rush out and vote. In general Europhiles are not the real enthusiasts like Ken Clarke (and I guess both Anna Soubry and me), but people who feel it's pretty sensible but don't get excited about it. Eurosceptics feel it's all dreadful and needs to change pronto, so are more motivated, probably. Historically, I think Eurosceptics have tended to poll above average in Euros.

That said, I've been genuinekly surprised how seriously Labour is taking it - the scale of leafleting and canvassing going on dwarfs any Euro election that I've seen, and I've been involved in every one since 1995 (when I was a candidate and had 1 helper for the whole of East Sussex and South Kent).
    Maybe.. just seems paradoxical to me to vote in an Election that gives legitimacy to an institution you want rid of!

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818

Now Scots know: an independent Scotland won’t be Salmond’s ‘same-but-slightly-different’ vision

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/02/now-scots-know-an-independent-scotland-wont-be-salmonds-same-but-slightly-different-vision/

Toom Tabard on usual form
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    JackW said:

No.

The Conservative party is the great survivor and it's notable that since WW1 the three main parties have remained so at Westminster level despite a variety of insurgents running their colours up the electoral mast.

Oh Jack nobody believes that Rule Britannia nonsense anymore. The old Westminster is on its last legs. It will be lucky to hang on to the support of a collective majority of the eligible voting population at the next election and with the Libdems an irrelevance and the Tories and Labour collectively polling less than 40% of the eligible voting population its not going to last many more Parliaments. 2015 could see their collective support fall even lower

The Tories have been in a dysfunctional mess for over 20 years. If they cannot sort themselves out they have to be favourite to follow the Libdems into the political hinterlands and who knows what would happen in the vacuum that such a demise would create?
  • Options
    isam said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

That is nonsense

It was an unwinnable seat, Labour were 1/10 or shorter to win right from the off.
    I never indicated it was a winnable seat for Ukip. Very clearly it wasn't.

However another by-election has passed by and despite adding very considerably to their vote the strategic result was a very distant second and certainly no OMG moment.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Toom Tabard on usual form
    So the phoney war is over.
    It's big boys' rules from now on.
    Blubbing and bleating about beastly bullies won't cut it any more.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    The Independent ‏@Independent

Nick Clegg: ‘We have just 100 days to stop Ukip becoming a major force’ http://ind.pn/1eMmGx7
    Maybe calamity Clegg is a trifle confused over which party it is he's making absolutely certain isn't a major force straight after the lib dem's worst by-election result since 1945 and now this.
    Ian Geldard ‏@igeldard

Major £1 million Lib Dem donor at the centre of bribes probe wined and dined by Nick Clegg http://dailym.ai/1f3Nw2z pic.twitter.com/eF5XirAAkd
  • Options

JackW said:

No.

Oh Jack nobody believes that Rule Britannia nonsense anymore. The old Westminster is on its last legs. It will be lucky to hang on to the support of a collective majority of the eligible voting population at the next election and with the Libdems an irrelevance and the Tories and Labour collectively polling less than 40% of the eligible voting population its not going to last many more Parliaments. 2015 could see their collective support fall even lower

The Tories have been in a dysfunctional mess for over 20 years. If they cannot sort themselves out they have to be favourite to follow the Libdems into the political hinterlands and who knows what would happen in the vacuum that such a demise would create?
    Fanciful wishful thinking on your part .... was that the sound of the mould of British politics being broken I've just heard ?

Er .... No, yet again it's the sound of the voters slamming the FPTP door in the face of yet another Westminster wannabe.

• Options
    Nick Clegg: ‘We have just 100 days to stop UKIP becoming a major force’

More infantile hysteria from the leader of the pointless party......
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

On Clegg: he must be worried that his beloved Brussels might be attacked by the mean, nasty UKIP types.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that for all the polling UKIP is still lagging (in real terms, such as councillors and so forth) a long way behind the major parties. It does need some sort of breakthrough.
  • Options
    Er .... No, yet again it's the sound of the voters slamming the FPTP door in the face of yet another Westminster wannabe.

Did I touch a nerve? We'll see how hard the voter slams the door next year (I don't think ambitious Tory wannabees will be queing up for Thanet South, for example).

That said unless the divided dysfunctional Tories get their act together convincingly (nobody believes they won't fracture into several pieces if they ever do have an EU referendum) then they are going to become the 'Broken Tories'.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Actually it's Clegg's ostrich faction of spinners latest wheeze. Trying to get the kippers as high a profile as possible and get the focus on them for the EU elections thus keeping the pressure on in the tory lib dem marginals where a healthy kipper vote will most benefit them and hurt the tories.

Basically if you can't change your own vote (and the lib dems flatlining at 10% since late 2010 speaks for itself) try to change someone elses.

In this case the soft tory kipper waverers who are hardly likely to be swayed to vote lib dem by Cammie's coalition partner Clegg lecturing them on the EU but they might just get annoyed enough to protest against Cammie.

There's no other reason for Clegg to keep focusing on Farage and UKIP. All it does is highlight just how much of an irrelevance the lib dems are after results like Wythenshawe.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Actually it's Clegg's ostrich faction of spinners latest wheeze. Trying to get the kippers as high a profile as possible and get the focus on them for the EU elections thus keeping the pressure on in the tory lib dem marginals where a healthy kipper vote will most benefit them and hurt the tories.

Basically if you can't change your own vote (and the lib dems flatlining at 10% since late 2010 speaks for itself) try to change someone elses.

In this case the soft tory kipper waverers who are hardly ever likely to be swayed to vote lib dem by Cammie's coalition partner Clegg lecturing them on the EU but they might just get annoyed enough to protest against Cammie.

There's no other reason for Clegg to keep focusing on Farage and UKIP. All it does is highlight just how much of an irrelevance the lib dems are after results like Wythenshawe.<//b>
    Whilst your analysis is perfectly plausible there is a much more pressing reason for Clegg to keep attacking UKIP and that is to try and counter the impression that UKIP have supplanted the Libdems as the UK's/ England's third party. Should UKIP become recognised as the UK's third party (and there were signs of it in some parts of the media at Wythenshawe) then the Libdems job of survival becomes even harder.
  • Options

Did I touch a nerve? We'll see how hard the voter slams the door next year (I don't think ambitious Tory wannabees will be queing up for Thanet South, for example).

That said unless the divided dysfunctional Tories get their act together convincingly (nobody believes they won't fracture into several pieces if they ever do have an EU referendum) then they are going to become the 'Broken Tories'.

As far as politics and political betting is concerned I am nerveless.

FPTP is a mighty harsh mistress. Ask any Lib/LibDem who have over the past 60 years seen by-election triumphs (not second places) turn to dust at the national level at the subsequent general election.

Since the Torrington by-election in 1957 it has taken the Liberals 53 years to enter national government with a plethora of false dawns and "return to your constituencies and prepare for government" moments.

One general election Thanet South moment for Ukip, should it come, simply isn't going to cut it.

• Options
    Mick_Pork quotes: Major £1 million Lib Dem donor at the centre of bribes probe wined and dined by Nick Clegg

Or to put it another way, Nick Clegg wines and dines an innocent business man who helped Rolls Royce win export orders in India.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    This is a much better bet than Lansley or Mitchell. The only question marks are age and desire.

As I mentioned the other day a politician of a similar mould is Michael Forsyth who has the advantage of being a more sprightly 60 this year. He has very strong business credentials and cabinet experience, albeit not at the heights of Howard. There may also be a love bomb aspect to the Scots as well although Forsyth was distinctly marmite when the MP for Stirling.

Despite his business interests Forsyth has been active in the Lords. Obviously not nearly as close to Cameron as Howard but ticks most of the other boxes.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Mick_Pork said:

In this case the soft tory kipper waverers who are hardly ever likely to be swayed to vote lib dem by Cammie's coalition partner Clegg lecturing them on the EU but they might just get annoyed enough to protest against Cammie.

There's no other reason for Clegg to keep focusing on Farage and UKIP. All it does is highlight just how much of an irrelevance the lib dems are after results like Wythenshawe.<//b>
    Whilst your analysis is perfectly plausible there is a much more pressing reason for Clegg to keep attacking UKIP and that is to try and counter the impression that UKIP have supplanted the Libdems as the UK's/ England's third party. Should UKIP become recognised as the UK's third party (and there were signs of it in some parts of the media at Wythenshawe) then the Libdems job of survival becomes even harder.
    There is this strange 'kipper fascination about the LibDems being desperate to remain "the third party".

You are over-thinking things.

There are 55 or so Liberal Democrat MPs.

All they care about is keeping their jobs.

"Third party" means nothing to someone who faces being kicked out by their local electorate as the left wing of their 2010 voters returns to the Labour Party.

They don't care about stopping UKIP.

They care about finding a message (any message) that will resonate with just enough voters to allow them to keep their seats.

An "anti-UKIP" message might be just what is needed for the LibDems to hold on to seats like Kingston, Cambridge and Twickenham.

This is what Clegg and the 55 other desperate Liberal Democrat MPs are thinking, and which is why the Libs will (a) be bigging UKIP up; (b) will pose themselves as the "only people fighting UKIP" and (c) will support UKIP participating in the debates
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is a much better bet than Lansley or Mitchell. The only question marks are age and desire.

As I mentioned the other day a politician of a similar mould is Michael Forsyth who has the advantage of being a more sprightly 60 this year. He has very strong business credentials and cabinet experience, albeit not at the heights of Howard. There may also be a love bomb aspect to the Scots as well although Forsyth was distinctly marmite when the MP for Stirling.

Despite his business interests Forsyth has been active in the Lords. Obviously not nearly as close to Cameron as Howard but ticks most of the other boxes.

If we want a Scot to shake things up in Europe I'd go for Teddy Taylor myself! I'm sure he'd be well up for it!
  • Options

Mick_Pork quotes: Major £1 million Lib Dem donor at the centre of bribes probe wined and dined by Nick Clegg

Or to put it another way, Nick Clegg wines and dines an innocent business man who helped Rolls Royce win export orders in India.

To be fair to the poor Indian - no-one could reasonably have expected the LibDems to be any position of power...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Afternoon all :)

The death of the Labour-Conservative duopoly has been widely anticipated over the past 40 years and it hasn't happened. The SDP threatened momentarily while the Tories walked to the edge of the abyss with IDS but in 2010 the two main parties still won over 550 seats between them on 65% of the vote.

The LDs, UKIP, Greens and others may threaten periodically and succeed in by-elections but it will take either a significant schism in either Labour or Conservative parties (unlikely but not inconceivable) or the emergence of a mass political movement able to effectively fight by-election style campaigns in 400 seats simultaneously (also unlikely but not inconceivable).
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

On Clegg: he must be worried that his beloved Brussels might be attacked by the mean, nasty UKIP types.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that for all the polling UKIP is still lagging (in real terms, such as councillors and so forth) a long way behind the major parties. It does need some sort of breakthrough.

Out of 15 Great Britain by-elections since the 2010 election, the LibDems have polled higher than 20% on only three occasions, and have lost eight deposits.
  • Options

DavidL said:

If we want a Scot to shake things up in Europe I'd go for Teddy Taylor myself! I'm sure he'd be well up for it!

He must be ancient. Still, a big Marley fan, so respect.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Whilst your analysis is perfectly plausible there is a much more pressing reason for Clegg to keep attacking UKIP and that is to try and counter the impression that UKIP have supplanted the Libdems as the UK's/ England's third party.

By continually highlighting and focusing on the kippers and Farage so publicly??
    I'll grant you that Clegg is more than a bit clueless when it comes to strategy but even he knows perfectly well from his time as the third party that the most effective way to maginalise and blunt the effectiveness of a smaller party is to completely ignore them. The reason Clegg got his temporary surge during the 2010 campaign was precisely because he was on stage in the debate with the other two party leaders and could no longer be ignored. Now Clegg is even making noises about the 2015 debate with Farage and that certainly isn't to please his coalition partner Cammie.

The kippers are where they are right now because they can no longer be ignored by the tories.

Should UKIP become recognised as the UK's third party (and there were signs of it in some parts of the media at Wythenshawe) then the Libdems job of survival becomes even harder.

True but I can't see how Clegg is doing anything other than trying to help the kipper vote in lib dem tory marginals by trying to make the EU elections all about Farage and UKIP.

There is absolutely going to be kipper voting that hurts the tories in marginals. That's a natural consequence of being in complete opposition to the Cameroons. Nor can UKIP be apologetic for it since those aren't anyone's votes by some absurd divine right. If you get them they are yours for just as long as they keep voting for you. There will also be kipper voting which hurts labour and even the lib dems in certain places. Nowhere near as much perhaps but that is also unavoidable and something I'm sure Farage will not lose any more sleep over than when it hurts Cammie.
  • Options

DavidL said:

He must be ancient. Still, a big Marley fan, so respect.
    Still in his 70s which surprised me. I hadn't realised he was only 27 when he was first elected. Also it turns out he's one of two survivors from the first ever Question Time!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    I wanted to comment on the floods from the perspective of having had some very peripheral involvement. The rise of the river a week or so back caught many people unawares. Within hours, the situation (which until then had seen flooding limited to traditional towpaths and fields) suddenly seemed to be on a much larger scale.

I would say that for 18-24 hours the response of authorities was disorganised, piecemeal and often shambolic based on a lack of understanding of what had happened, was happening and was going to happen.

The Thames reclaimed areas of its flood plain (well documented) that it had not reached for many years. However, standing by the fast-flowing river in Kingston last Monday, it seemed to this observer that the flow east of Hampton was being managed which made me wonder whether in trying to manage the flow of water moving toward and through London from Kingston, the EA had been forced to allow the river to overtop to keep the flow under control to the west. There was also, I believe, some overtopping of reservoirs.

I've no evidence for this assertion but the lack of serious flooding around Kingston and points downstream suggests to me that water was held upstream and allowed to overtop in order to manage the downstream flow.
  • Options
    I am not too worried if there is not a Conservative govt or a referendum next parliament. I would vote to stay in, and as that is the status quo am not bothered if there is no referendum.

In terms of other politics I would not be too unhappy with a Miliband govt, particularly if it was a minority one needing LD support.

Voters are free to choose. Those that are unhappy with the nessecary compromises of government will not stay with Labour long.

MikeK said:

FPT

@MJW
    --------------------

Whether Cameron has promised a referendum or not is irrelevant really because it is your party's (you are a Libdem aren't you?) abject failure to keep its support that has destined Cameron to defeat. You Libdems should not be modest about your achievements. In so many ways (from tuition fees to boundary changes to delaying addressing the English question to your intransigence over the EU) it is down to the Libdems that the Tories will fail in 2015.

There will be no referendum because there will not be a Tory Government and there won't be a Tory government because of the Libdems.

• Options
    JackW said:

No.

The Conservative Party is not just made up of MP's as you well know, it is made of members across the UK. Somebody better informed than me can tell you how many members have been lost under Cameron.

Things like Europe, HS2 through the Tory shires, the sheer contempt with which Cameron treats the rank and file, they all contribute to the possible collapse of the Tory party.

If as expected they lose in 2015 then I expect them to split for ever, Cameron and his mob going one way and Davies, Redwood etc heading towards the UKIP stance.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

The death of the Labour-Conservative duopoly has been widely anticipated over the past 40 years and it hasn't happened. The SDP threatened momentarily while the Tories walked to the edge of the abyss with IDS but in 2010 the two main parties still won over 550 seats between them on 65% of the vote.

Paul Nuttall left the Conservatives for UKIP after the parliamentary conservative party got rid of IDS.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/02/paul-nuttall-interview-i-dont-want-to-lead-ukip/
  • Options
    JackW said:

FPTP is a mighty harsh mistress. Ask any Lib/LibDem who have over the past 60 years seen by-election triumphs (not second places) turn to dust at the national level at the subsequent general election.

Since the Torrington by-election in 1957 it has taken the Liberals 53 years to enter national government with a plethora of false dawns and "return to your constituencies and prepare for government" moments.

One general election Thanet South moment for Ukip, should it come, simply isn't going to cut it.

Jack there is a simple reason why UKIP will prosper when previous insurgency party's haven't. It's called the EU and unless one of the main party's suddenly becomes secessionist then UKIP's future is secured. Similarly whilst the UK is a member of the EU then the likelihood is that the Tories will continue to decline simply because it seems impossible for them to resolve their internal divisions on that issue and all the related considerations.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Is there a market on the next EU Commission President, when Angus McBarroso retires in October?

An interesting bet is Lagarde of the IMF. Merkel apparently wants her, the French will be happy with a Frenchwoman, and she happens to be a close friend of Geo Osborne and an ally of Cameron. Also, as a woman, she'd be good for the EU brand.

The UK should nominate John Nettles, he'd get Ms Merkel's vote.

• Options

You do realise this innocent businessman was dropped last year from Nick Clegg’s list of new Lib Dem peers because of concerns about his tax status, don't you?

Care to try some ostrich spin on this too?
    Lescromps ‏@Lescromps 23 Apr 2012

RT @psbook Clegg determined to keep £2.4m donation generated through fraud http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/04/michael-brown-nick-clegg-fraud-donation/
    Bit of a pattern developing, isn't it?

Much like Rennard and Hancock.
  • Options
    Conservatives are not splitters by nature. They may moan a lot but far from splitting they have a tendency to absorb splinter groups from other parties: National Liberals and National Labour (30-40's) Coupon Liberals (1922), and Liberals opposed to Irish Home rule in the 19th Century. They are a broad church. I think it more likely that they absorb UKIP or the Orange bookers after the next election than to split themselves.

JackW said:

No.

The Conservative Party is not just made up of MP's as you well know, it is made of members across the UK. Somebody better informed than me can tell you how many members have been lost under Cameron.

Things like Europe, HS2 through the Tory shires, the sheer contempt with which Cameron treats the rank and file, they all contribute to the possible collapse of the Tory party.

If as expected they lose in 2015 then I expect them to split for ever, Cameron and his mob going one way and Davies, Redwood etc heading towards the UKIP stance.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Mick_Pork said:

There is this strange 'kipper fascination about the LibDems being desperate to remain "the third party".

"Third party" means nothing to someone who faces being kicked out by their local electorate as the left wing of their 2010 voters returns to the Labour Party.

They care about finding a message (any message) that will resonate with just enough voters to allow them to keep their seats.

An "anti-UKIP" message might be just what is needed for the LibDems to hold on to seats like Kingston, Cambridge and Twickenham.

This is what Clegg and the 55 other desperate Liberal Democrat MPs are thinking, and which is why the Libs will (a) be bigging UKIP up; (b) will pose themselves as the "only people fighting UKIP" and (c) will support UKIP participating in the debates
    Oops another nerve tweaked.

There is nothing strange about UKIP wanting to take on the mantle of the 3rd Party and as a result become the primary alternative to the two major parties. Similarly there is nothing strange about Clegg trying to do everything he can to retain it. He has councillors out there who are not in constituencies where they have the MP. Are you suggesting he is sacrificing them in order to save MPs, some of which (those up against Labour/SNP) are probably doomed already?

Frankly I'd be a pretty disappointed Libdem councillor if I thought my leader was hanging me out to dry. Yes Clegg will try and protect his MP's but he should also protect his councillors and the party's status. All three are interconnected.

• Options

I am not too worried if there is not a Conservative govt or a referendum next parliament. I would vote to stay in, and as that is the status quo am not bothered if there is no referendum.

In terms of other politics I would not be too unhappy with a Miliband govt, particularly if it was a minority one needing LD support.

Voters are free to choose. Those that are unhappy with the nessecary compromises of government will not stay with Labour long.

MikeK said:

FPT

@MJW
    --------------------

And there we have it........
  • Options

JackW said:

Jack there is a simple reason why UKIP will prosper when previous insurgency party's haven't. It's called the EU and unless one of the main party's suddenly becomes secessionist then UKIP's future is secured. Similarly whilst the UK is a member of the EU then the likelihood is that the Tories will continue to decline simply because it seems impossible for them to resolve their internal divisions on that issue and all the related considerations.

I've heard it all before .... ad infinitum since the EEC Referendum in 1975 !!

Present seat result : Ukip - 0 .. Other Parties 650

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited February 2014

Conservatives are not splitters by nature. They may moan a lot but far from splitting they have a tendency to absorb splinter groups from other parties: National Liberals and National Labour (30-40's) Coupon Liberals (1922), and Liberals opposed to Irish Home rule in the 19th Century. They are a broad church. I think it more likely that they absorb UKIP or the Orange bookers after the next election than to split themselves.

JackW said:

No.

I think that's fair. Under a Labour government, or worse a Lib-Lab one, the Tories will be able to pose as Eurosceptics properly again and reabsorb some UKIP voters. Of course that takes them back to 2005/6

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @stoge

Is your idea not easily tested ? Go and have a look at the sluice gates at Molesey Weir, if they are not all wide open then water is being held back above Kingston.
  • Options

JackW said:

No.

Mick_Pork said:

Should UKIP become recognised as the UK's third party (and there were signs of it in some parts of the media at Wythenshawe) then the Libdems job of survival becomes even harder.

Its a risky strategy as was demonstrated in Eastleigh. They got away with it there but that doesn't mean they will elsewhere. Its not just the Tories who are losing votes to UKIP especially in the sort of seats we are talking about. In anycase its not going to be helped if the Libdems effectively accept they are now 4th and no longer the primary repository for the 'not the major parties' vote.
  • Options

JackW said:

No.

By saying they will absorb UKIP or the Orange bookers you have pretty much proved my point. If they absorb the Orange bookers then the right won't have it and will defect to UKIP or some new incarnation, and vice versa.

What you have just done is confirm they will split in two.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    JackW said:

JackW said:

I've heard it all before .... ad infinitum since the EEC Referendum in 1975 !!

Present seat result : Ukip - 0 .. Other Parties 650

1975? Those were the days when the Tories could still realistically aspire to form a majority government. How nostalgic...

• Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. :-(

MikeK said:

FPT

@MJW
    --------------------

And there we have it........
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Mick_Pork said:

There is nothing strange about UKIP wanting to take on the mantle of the 3rd Party and as a result become the primary alternative to the two major parties. Similarly there is nothing strange about Clegg trying to do everything he can to retain it. He has councillors out there who are not in constituencies where they have the MP. Are you suggesting he is sacrificing them in order to save MPs, some of which (those up against Labour/SNP) are probably doomed already?

Frankly I'd be a pretty disappointed Libdem councillor if I thought my leader was hanging me out to dry. Yes Clegg will try and protect his MP's but he should also protect his councillors and the party's status. All three are interconnected.

Did you read my response?

Your reply would suggest not.

And as I am clearly not a liberal democrat, your "nerve tweaked" comment was pretty bizarre.

• Options
    That is the precise opposite of what I wrote. Absorption is the opposite of splitting. I think it more likely that the Tories will absorb UKIP than the Orange bookers.

JackW said:

No.

By saying they will absorb UKIP or the Orange bookers you have pretty much proved my point. If they absorb the Orange bookers then the right won't have it and will defect to UKIP or some new incarnation, and vice versa.

• Options
    Freggles said:

JackW said:

No.

I think that's fair. Under a Labour government, or worse a Lib-Lab one, the Tories will be able to pose as Eurosceptics properly again and reabsorb some UKIP voters. Of course that takes them back to 2005/6

the Tories will be able to pose as Eurosceptics properly again and reabsorb some UKIP voters.

Will they? People's memories are not that short and they are not that naive. It would take some pretty strong symbolism to reverse the mess they have made of their EU position in this government and you can be pretty sure that Labour will try and exploit the enormous divisions that remain in the Tory party over Europe if it will keep voters from voting Tory.
  • Options

That is the precise opposite of what I wrote. Absorption is the opposite of splitting. I think it more likely that the Tories will absorb UKIP than the Orange bookers.

JackW said:

No.

And if they do that what will the dripping wet left of centre Tories do, suddenly become raving BOO's? Sorry but you have inadvertently supported what I said, that the Tories will become two parties.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I wanted to comment on the floods from the perspective of having had some very peripheral involvement. The rise of the river a week or so back caught many people unawares. Within hours, the situation (which until then had seen flooding limited to traditional towpaths and fields) suddenly seemed to be on a much larger scale.

I would say that for 18-24 hours the response of authorities was disorganised, piecemeal and often shambolic based on a lack of understanding of what had happened, was happening and was going to happen.

The Thames reclaimed areas of its flood plain (well documented) that it had not reached for many years. However, standing by the fast-flowing river in Kingston last Monday, it seemed to this observer that the flow east of Hampton was being managed which made me wonder whether in trying to manage the flow of water moving toward and through London from Kingston, the EA had been forced to allow the river to overtop to keep the flow under control to the west. There was also, I believe, some overtopping of reservoirs.

I've no evidence for this assertion but the lack of serious flooding around Kingston and points downstream suggests to me that water was held upstream and allowed to overtop in order to manage the downstream flow.

This appears to be the way the EA do things these days - and I make no comment on whether they are right or wrong in that. As I mentioned in reply to NPOAFMP (Nick Palmer Once and Future MP) a couple of nights ago, in 2000 during serious flooding in the Trent Valley the EA allowed large areas of the Trent between Nottingham and Newark to flood in order to protect Nottingham suburbs, many of which are built on traditional flood plain. One can't blame the EA for this since they were not the ones giving permission for building on the flood plains. They just have to make a decision about how best to limit the damage in a frankly impossible situation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Mick_Pork said:

Did you read my response?

Your reply would suggest not.

And as I am clearly not a liberal democrat, your "nerve tweaked" comment was pretty bizarre.

I read it and your view is that Clegg and the Parliamentary LD Party are so mercenary they only care about their own hides and the rest of the party can go hang. I suggested there were wider Party considerations but you disregarded that completely. Furthermore, given your response there is nothing to suggest you do not have Libdem sympathies. Although I will note in future that you take exception to such an assertion.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @smithersjones2013

'Jack there is a simple reason why UKIP will prosper when previous insurgency party's haven't. It's called the EU and unless one of the main party's suddenly becomes secessionist then UKIP's future is secured.'

But if we do get an EU referendum it will result in the demise of UKIP,hence,their trying to kick it into the long grass.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Mick_Pork said:

Hardly. Unlike his Dad Robert is no Lib Dem fan and has often expressed sympathy for UKIP whilst disagreeing with some aspects of their policy. He has also been very supportive of some of their policy proposals.

I take his analysis seriously - whilst not always agreeing with it of course.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    JackW said:

I've heard it all before .... ad infinitum since the EEC Referendum in 1975 !! ...

Um , Mr Flaming Picky would like to point out that "ad infinitum" means to infinity, but you are talking about events in the past and therefore the number of such events must be finite. You can't have an infinite number of events in a finite time, at least not the sort events we are talking about here (expressions of an idea) and not in a single universe.
  • Options
    You are deluding yourself. The tories have had plenty of opportunity to split over Europe in the last 20 years and have not done so. Anna Soubry, Ken Clark, John Redwood and Dan Hannan all remain in the same party. They have their differences but more in common.

JackW said:

No.

And if they do that what will the dripping wet left of centre Tories do, suddenly become raving BOO's? Sorry but you have inadvertently supported what I said, that the Tories will become two parties.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Mick_Pork said:

Hardly. Unlike his Dad Robert is no Lib Dem fan and has often expressed sympathy for UKIP whilst disagreeing with some aspects of their policy. He has also been very supportive of some of their policy proposals.

I take his analysis seriously - whilst not always agreeing with it of course.
    Fair enough I will bow to your superior knowledge.

@RCS1000 accept my apologies but you are I think too dismissive of the wider considerations that arty leaders have.

• Options

You are deluding yourself. The tories have had plenty of opportunity to split over Europe in the last 20 years and have not done so. Anna Soubry, Ken Clark, John Redwood and Dan Hannan all remain in the same party. They have their differences but more in common.

JackW said:

No.

Why would I be deluding myself? I couldn't care less whether they split or not, I've never voted Tory and never will.

But the facts are if after 13 years in the wilderness they get hammered after one term then there will be repercussions.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@smithersjones2013

'Jack there is a simple reason why UKIP will prosper when previous insurgency party's haven't. It's called the EU and unless one of the main party's suddenly becomes secessionist then UKIP's future is secured.'

But if we do get an EU referendum it will result in the demise of UKIP,hence,their trying to kick it into the long grass.

Er no. It is clear that UKIP are positioning themselves to be far more than just an anti-EU party. They intend to stake a claim to the right wing of British politics on a permanent basis.

Now personally I disagree with this fundamentally, not least because I suspect that once the EU issue is resolved they will become a far more reactionary party even than they are now and the Libertarian element like me will abandon them.

But whatever my personal views I have to accept that I appear to be in the minority and that UKIP intends to remain as a reactionary force within British politics for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    What an interesting thread suggestion. I've always thought Michael Howard was unfairly treated by Anne Widdecombe, with an unpleasant whiff of Catholic anti-Semitism about it. Be that as it may, Howard has distinguished himself by being fiercely loyal. Whereas John Major can't resist bitterness breaking out every so often (and I have a story about him which I found quite revealing) Howard has shown himself to be every bit the true gentleman.

I'm not sure Cameron will go for him but it would be a superb appointment.

73 isn't particularly old these days. Time's Man of the Year is 77 and I don't think anyone is exactly suggesting right now that he isn't up to the job.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    john_zims said:

@smithersjones2013

The only thing at this time that would scupper UKIP currently would be our withdrawal from the EU and with the three establishment parties all opposed to that then there doesn't seem much likelihood.

This is not something abstract like a voting system, The EU is a part of our lives and as UKIP argue not a positive part. That will not go away by just having a referendum. If we have a referendum and I still do not believe that there is a chance of there being one and it is lost (i.e. we remain within the EU) that is only valid until the next time the EU substantively impacts our lives negatively. In such circumstances, losing the referendum would be a setback for UKIP but not the end of the world.

• Options
    The Telegraph economics coverage continues to improve. Is AEP on holiday?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10642228/Germany-must-accept-higher-inflation-says-OECD.html
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

john_zims said:

@smithersjones2013

Er no. It is clear that UKIP are positioning themselves to be far more than just an anti-EU party. They intend to stake a claim to the right wing of British politics on a permanent basis.

Now personally I disagree with this fundamentally, not least because I suspect that once the EU issue is resolved they will become a far more reactionary party even than they are now and the Libertarian element like me will abandon them.

But whatever my personal views I have to accept that I appear to be in the minority and that UKIP intends to remain as a reactionary force within British politics for the foreseeable future.
    On what evidence do you make your claim that the majority of UKIP members are reactionary, or that the party will be a reactionary body in British politics in the future, Richard?
  • Options
    @Richard

Thank you for your words below.

For the record, I think UKIP's white paper on taxation should be read by all aspiring economics commentators. It is about 100x more credible than anything put out by the libs. I shall remain silent on my views on the sovereign wealth fund...
  • Options
    On a totally different note, I am loving Six Frigates, which is a wonderful history of the founding of the US Navy
  • Options
    MikeK said:

john_zims said:

@smithersjones2013

On what evidence do you make your claim that the majority of UKIP members are reactionary, or that the party will be a reactionary body in British politics in the future, Richard?
    Because that is the 'gap in the market' and the growth of support for UKIP has coincided with their adopting more reactionary positions. They are not getting support from former Labour voters by being libertarian or anti-statist.

It is a valid political course to take if they want to be successful, at least in the short term, but it is not one that I am at all comfortable with.
  • Options
    UKIP have yet to lay out their policies. I expect them to be more than the flat tax and paint liveries of 2010, but by defining their policies they will antagonise some as well as please others. Libertarianism and opposition to Burkas or gay weddings makes for strange bedfellows.
    MikeK said:

john_zims said:

@smithersjones2013

• Options
    edited February 2014
    @foxinsoxuk

There have been no serious opportunities to split because

a) Unless they went on mass as the SDP did where would Euroscpetics split to? Until UKIP became a credible alternative Eurosceptics had nowhere to go.

b) The Tories have spent the larger part of that 20 years in opposition when they could gloss over their differences and make generic Eurosceptic noises without any real possibility of actually having to do anything.

c) Until the EU issue comes to a head - e.g. A referendum or major treaty when they are in power (unlikely granted) the strength of the Tories wider unity has not really been tested.

Basically their division on the issue has in many ways insulated them from the worst case outcome of such differences. So far that is, but how long they can equivocate over it is another matter.

• Options

JackW said:

I've heard it all before .... ad infinitum since the EEC Referendum in 1975 !! ...

Um , Mr Flaming Picky would like to point out that "ad infinitum" means to infinity, but you are talking about events in the past and therefore the number of such events must be finite. You can't have an infinite number of events in a finite time, at least not the sort events we are talking about here (expressions of an idea) and not in a single universe.
    So what about the "bouncing ping pong ball" paradox? (Applied Maths I think)
    At each bounce it loses a particular percentage of its momentum.
    The ball will, theoretically, do an infinite number of bounces, since it is not losing 100% of its momentum on any bounce. But it will have stopped bouncing after a finite time.

I think Mr Llama meant "ad nauseam".
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited February 2014
    Howard would be a great appointment.

But surely his age is going to stop him because of the travelling involved. By its nature the job is presumably going to require him to be in Brussels most of the time plus there may well be a need for a fair amount of additional travel around Europe.

Is he really going to want to do the above from age 73 to 78? Seems very unlikely to me.

If the job was based in Central London then it would be a completely different matter.

A great shame as Howard would be the perfect choice.

But I think the thread is on to something - I would have thought Cameron will be looking for a high ranking Conservative who is not an MP.

Who else can the experts on here identify?
  • Options
    Either Cameron will win or they will be in opposition; so why should this be different to your b?

They remaind one party depite Maastricht in government or Lisbon in opposition. Why would a further treaty be more stressful than those?

Infighting yes, but a split? No way.

@foxinsoxuk

There have been no serious opportunities to split because

a) Unless they went on mass as the SDP did where would Euroscpetics split to? Until UKIP became a credible alternative Eurosceptics had nowhere to go.

b) The Tories have spent the larger part of that 20 years in opposition when they could gloss over their differences and make generic Eurosceptic noises without any real possibility of actually having to do anything.

c) Until the EU issue comes to a head - e.g. A referendum or major treaty when they are in power (unlikely granted) the strength of the Tories wider unity has not really been tested.

Basically their division on the issue has in many ways insulated them from the worst case outcome of such differences. So far that is, but how long they can equivocate over it is another matter.

• Options
    MikeL said:

Howard would be a great appointment.

But surely his age is going to stop him because of the travelling involved. By its nature the job is presumably going to require him to be in Brussels most of the time plus there may well be a need for a fair amount of additional travel around Europe.

Is he really going to want to do the above from age 73 to 78? Seems very unlikely to me.

If the job was based in Central London then it would be a completely different matter.

A great shame as Howard would be the perfect choice.

But I think the thread is on to something - I would have thought Cameron will be looking for a high ranking Conservative who is not an MP.

Who else can the experts on here identify?

Anne Widdecombe?
  • Options

MikeK said:

john_zims said:

@smithersjones2013

Because that is the 'gap in the market' and the growth of support for UKIP has coincided with their adopting more reactionary positions. They are not getting support from former Labour voters by being libertarian or anti-statist.

It is a valid political course to take if they want to be successful, at least in the short term, but it is not one that I am at all comfortable with.
    Richard I think you are jumping the gun a bit because were the EU issue 'resolved' (i.e. my interpretation of that is we had withdrawn ~ not anytime soon then) and granted UKIP are evolving their policy portfolio then the ramifications across the UK political landscape would be so enormous that its hard to envisage how the parties including UKIP would align themselves afterwards.

However, that said if they do become the party you think I may be following you out of the door.

This discussion has been closed.