Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This doesn’t look good for the SNP at the general election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

US Jobs surge

"Employers added 336,000 jobs in September, almost double what had been predicted, confirming the overall strength of an economy that is facing challenges." NY Times

This is not good news for the Democrats.

So long as the job market is strong, it means the Fed will keep interest rates high. And that means that a lot of people may be employed, but they're still struggling with rising mortgage payments as their ARMs reset.
    There's something wrong with a system whereby a strong jobs market is considered bad news.
    Middle class families will be struggling with rising interest rates. Yes, they'll still be able to eat, but they'll be feeling poorer than they were.
    I can't see how rising unemployment would be good for the Dems, so they're pretty much screwed whatever happens?
    Will Voters Send In the Clowns?

As a recent analysis in The Economist pointed out, given the historical relationship between economic fundamentals and sentiment, you would have expected Americans to be feeling pretty good about the economy right now. Instead, they’re feeling very gloomy — or at least telling pollsters that they feel gloomy. The Economist, not mincing words, says that “Americans’ opinions about the state of the economy have diverged from reality.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/05/opinion/will-voters-send-in-the-clowns.html
    Perhaps voters have noticed the collapse in American life expectancy? The ravages of drug addiction ? The homeless encamped in their great cities? The rise in crime and the flood of illegal
    migrants?

Yet they’re meant to be happy just cause GDP per cap is ostensibly rising and there’s full employment. “Diverging from reality”. Pff
    The collapse in life expectancy happened under Trump and was in no small part because of Covid.

Maybe they should take their vaccines and not ingest other drugs instead.
    There are many reasons why life quality for millions of Americans is in decline. None of them is anything to do with Trump

Indeed Trump is the one politician of any hue who has an idea to solve the drugs problem. Wade into Mexico and treat the cartels like a mortal and military enemy. That might actually work. I can’t think of anything else at this late extreme stage
    I remember something about a wall....

Biden approves new section of border wall as Mexico crossings rise....

In 2020, Mr Biden promised he would not build another foot of wall if elected.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67015137
    Trump is a bad dangerous bastard. But, awkwardly, he does have good ideas and he thinks outside the box

I know PB hates hearing this but I can see why Americans vote for him

Yes yes I’m a fascist etc
    All bad dangerous bastards have the odd good idea. Hitler famously invented the goose step having realised that one large leg movement was more efficient than two smaller steps. Mussolini invented Tiramisu, Pol Pot invented the pot and an JK Rowling invented anti-trans sentiment.
    And General Boulanger invented the baguette.
    Apparently, the biscuit is really named after Giuseppe Garibaldi.
    There's always the Empire, aka Belgian, aka German biscuit.
    Who can forget king Leopold’s venture into the fruit juice for lunchbox market when he invented Um-bongo.
    Never heard of it. *checks* Good grief, the "original Congo-coction" ...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

Wings has some interesting analysis suggesting that Lab's victory in Rutherglen isn't as good as it looks:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-surge/#more-139909

Really, Wings has a pro-independence spin? Fascinating and surprising. /s
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    IM ALREADY IN LITTLE VENICE
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,079
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

US Jobs surge

"Employers added 336,000 jobs in September, almost double what had been predicted, confirming the overall strength of an economy that is facing challenges." NY Times

So long as the job market is strong, it means the Fed will keep interest rates high. And that means that a lot of people may be employed, but they're still struggling with rising mortgage payments as their ARMs reset.
    There's something wrong with a system whereby a strong jobs market is considered bad news.
    Middle class families will be struggling with rising interest rates. Yes, they'll still be able to eat, but they'll be feeling poorer than they were.
    I can't see how rising unemployment would be good for the Dems, so they're pretty much screwed whatever happens?

As a recent analysis in The Economist pointed out, given the historical relationship between economic fundamentals and sentiment, you would have expected Americans to be feeling pretty good about the economy right now. Instead, they’re feeling very gloomy — or at least telling pollsters that they feel gloomy. The Economist, not mincing words, says that “Americans’ opinions about the state of the economy have diverged from reality.”

Perhaps voters have noticed the collapse in American life expectancy? The ravages of drug addiction ? The homeless encamped in their great cities? The rise in crime and the flood of illegal
    migrants?

Yet they’re meant to be happy just cause GDP per cap is ostensibly rising and there’s full employment. “Diverging from reality”. Pff
    The collapse in life expectancy happened under Trump and was in no small part because of Covid.

There are many reasons why life quality for millions of Americans is in decline. None of them is anything to do with Trump

Indeed Trump is the one politician of any hue who has an idea to solve the drugs problem. Wade into Mexico and treat the cartels like a mortal and military enemy. That might actually work. I can’t think of anything else at this late extreme stage

Trump is a bad dangerous bastard. But, awkwardly, he does have good ideas and he thinks outside the box

All bad dangerous bastards have the odd good idea. Hitler famously invented the goose step having realised that one large leg movement was more efficient than two smaller steps. Mussolini invented Tiramisu, Pol Pot invented the pot and an JK Rowling invented anti-trans sentiment.
    Who can forget king Leopold’s venture into the fruit juice for lunchbox market when he invented Um-bongo.
    Yes, it’s up there with Kia Ora for racial sensitivity in advertising aimed at children.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

I’m in the cab. This could happen

The Times is ready to pull all its headlines.

This could be the biggest national news since Dennis Healey's return from Heathrow after seeing the IMF in 1976.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

To brighten up everyone's Friday afternoon, here's some good news - Elizabeth Line passenger numbers keep growing. Last Thursday it carried 738,000 passengers - the highest yet in a single day. Yesterday may have been busier still - numbers awaited. Build it and they will come!
    4:17 PM · Oct 6, 2023"

https://twitter.com/Modern_Railways/status/1710313441448136955

Would be interesting to see the hotspots for which bit is growing fastest and at what times.

Paddington to City is one journey that has massively changed.
    Heathrow to my flat is:

90 (uncomfortable) minutes by taxi
    55 (expensive) minutes by Heathrow Express plus Taxi
    38 (cheap and efficient) minutes by the Elizabeth Line

It helps, of course, that I'm three minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road tube station.

That said, the Elizabeth line has put me right off British Airways. Simply, because the Elizabeth Line goes to Terminals 2/3, I'd much rather travel by Virgin, American or United, than trek out to Terminal 5.
    Terminal 5 has been served by the Elizabeth Line since last May.
    Photo taken June 2022.
    While that's technically true, if I go to TCR station, I have six trains an hour to Terminal 2/3, but only two to Terminal 5.

I am happy to go to the station without planning if I want to get to Terminals 2/3, but I have to plan if I want to go to 5. That's a pretty major difference.
    Unless they hold the planes for you, surely there must be some planning involved?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

US Jobs surge

migrants?

Yes, it’s up there with Kia Ora for racial sensitivity in advertising aimed at children.
    Checks that too ... good grief, Wiki:

'The brand-name is taken from kia ora, a Māori language greeting which has entered New Zealand English. [...] In 1982, Kia-Ora launched a colourful, animated advertising campaign, directed by Oscar Grillo of Klacto Animations, which used the jingle "We all adore a Kia-Ora", and featured a child in a straw hat, a dog called Fedora who served the drink, and several crows which pursued the boy for a drink, with the boy responding with "it's too orangey for crows". Later promotions included Caramba's song "Fido"; the jingle was referred to in the Spaced episode "Gone". The advertisements attracted criticism in later years, because of their use of Jim Crow laws style racial stereotypes in their depiction of the characters.'
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    GET OUT OF THE WAY OLD WOMAN

(Maida Vale)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Just landed LHR. London looking splendid. So incredibly green. There surely isn’t a great city like it - for greenery

Seoul has some rather nice bits.

It also has lots of grim industrial bits.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

US Jobs surge

migrants?

And our former Chancellor with his eponymous Osborne.
  • Options
    LORDS!!!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

To brighten up everyone's Friday afternoon, here's some good news - Elizabeth Line passenger numbers keep growing. Last Thursday it carried 738,000 passengers - the highest yet in a single day. Yesterday may have been busier still - numbers awaited. Build it and they will come!

Would be interesting to see the hotspots for which bit is growing fastest and at what times.

Heathrow to my flat is:

It helps, of course, that I'm three minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road tube station.

That said, the Elizabeth line has put me right off British Airways. Simply, because the Elizabeth Line goes to Terminals 2/3, I'd much rather travel by Virgin, American or United, than trek out to Terminal 5.
    Photo taken June 2022.
    While that's technically true, if I go to TCR station, I have six trains an hour to Terminal 2/3, but only two to Terminal 5.

I am happy to go to the station without planning if I want to get to Terminals 2/3, but I have to plan if I want to go to 5. That's a pretty major difference.
    Unless they hold the planes for you, surely there must be some planning involved?
    If I'm flying Virgin to LA, I simply leave the flat two and a half before my flight. I'll get there an hour and forty-five before, and all is good.

I can't do that with BA. I now actively avoid flying out of Terminal 5. (It's *slightly* better coming back. But then you have the choice about whether to change to the Elizabeth line at Terminals 2/3 - which minimizes walking - or Paddington - which minimizes time. Neither is as convenient as being at Terminals 2/3 from the off.)
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,221

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

US Jobs surge

Yep. I recall from trading days how strong employment numbers - 'US payrolls' on a Friday - were terrible for Markets. What a crazy system, I used to think, *do* think. What's it called this strange construction? I asked all and sundry around me. They all told me the same thing and in the exact same words. "Capitalism mate. Great innit". I'd nod and grin, like the spineless collaborator I am.
    As capital's quisling, can you say why?

Is it just the reduction in bargaining power/natural rate of employment stuff or is there any more to it?
    Stronger labour markets = higher interest rates = lower equity prices.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    Anglo-Futurism with the help of AI: "Hengist and Horsa guard the entrance to the Thames Estuary megaport"

https://x.com/arisroussinos/status/1710223225068695823
  • Options

Leon said:

This could be the biggest national news since Dennis Healey's return from Heathrow after seeing the IMF in 1976.
    Phineas Leon, around London in 80 minutes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Heathrow to my flat is:

Photo taken June 2022.

If I'm flying Virgin to LA, I simply leave the flat two and a half before my flight. I'll get there an hour and forty-five before, and all is good.

I can't do that with BA. I now actively avoid flying out of Terminal 5. (It's *slightly* better coming back. But then you have the choice about whether to change to the Elizabeth line at Terminals 2/3 - which minimizes walking - or Paddington - which minimizes time. Neither is as convenient as being at Terminals 2/3 from the off.)
    But T5 has no annoying long tunnels to trundle down underground
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Leon said:

LORDS!!!

I just saw you. Gave you the fi ... waved.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

US Jobs surge

migrants?

Checks that too ... good grief, Wiki:

'The brand-name is taken from kia ora, a Māori language greeting which has entered New Zealand English. [...] In 1982, Kia-Ora launched a colourful, animated advertising campaign, directed by Oscar Grillo of Klacto Animations, which used the jingle "We all adore a Kia-Ora", and featured a child in a straw hat, a dog called Fedora who served the drink, and several crows which pursued the boy for a drink, with the boy responding with "it's too orangey for crows". Later promotions included Caramba's song "Fido"; the jingle was referred to in the Spaced episode "Gone". The advertisements attracted criticism in later years, because of their use of Jim Crow laws style racial stereotypes in their depiction of the characters.'
    There was something retrospectively wrong about the ad that was worryingly ripping off the film “the song of the south”.
  • Options

Anglo-Futurism with the help of AI: "Hengist and Horsa guard the entrance to the Thames Estuary megaport"

AI my sharny arse. That ship is about to get stuck. Look how shallow that central channel i s going to be, given the angle of repose of the mud banks.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Just landed LHR. London looking splendid. So incredibly green. There surely isn’t a great city like it - for greenery

Seoul has some rather nice bits.

It also has lots of grim industrial bits.
    And half the country's population.
  • Options
    PRIMROSE HILL. SO CLOSE…
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

Bartholomew Roberts.

Ignoring your Sturgeon 2011 faux pas (as pointed out by Theuniondivvie), there is unlikely to be much worry in Scotland at Holyrood 2026 that the Tories are going to be the largest party, so there will be a comparison made with Labour run Wales, which will not flatter Labour, especially as they have been in power there since 1999.

In spite of comments by some to the contrary, the SNP do want independence , and the blocking of a referendum by a Labour Westminster government will progressively irritate the electorate.

Those who suggest that independence will fade away are liable to be presented with the Lord George Robertson award for political naivety (devolution will kill the SNP stone dead or some such nonsense was his foolish claim)

No, it will progressively irritate Nationalist elements of the electorate. However as last night's results show they are smaller than they were in 2015.

Indeed on the swing last night it is not impossible Sarwar could replace Yousaf as FM by the end of 2026
    Would the Tories vote for Sarwar, if abstaining meant Yousaf stayed FM?
  • Options
  • Options
    Leon said:

PRIMROSE HILL. SO CLOSE…

The final episode of “Race across the world” has never been so riveting. Who will win, Leon, SeanT, LadyG. Join us after the break to find out who wins a lifetime supply of fentanyl.
  • Options
    EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

That’s incredible. That’s from literal touchdown to keying the door of my home. So it includes taxiing, parking, waiting to disembark an economy cabin, walk to passport, passport, luggage collection, walk to Heathrow express, train to Paddington, cab from Paddington to Camden

84 minutes!

A NEW INTER-GALACTIC RECORD
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Does he realise it's still yesterday?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585

OT. Not sure if this has been covered earlier but this Government is once again proving what a bunch of utter shits they are.

So we all know that they are selling off the land that they bought for the Northern section of HS2. What I wasn't aware of until now was that they have to offer it back to the former owners first.

So far so good. That seems a reasonable and fair thing to do.

But if you want to buy back the property you were forced to sell to the Government you have to now pay more than you got for selling it to them. Many of the homes were subject to compulsory purchase as far back as 2015 and the former owners must now pay the current market value if they want them back. Many of course cannot afford that.

Ignoring all the other stuff about them salting the earth, this is a fucking atrocious thing to do. I was and still am in favour of cancelling HS2 (the whole lot) but this sort of behaviour just makes you realise what utter scumbags this lot are.

It is appalling.

The nasty party are back.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Heathrow to my flat is:

Photo taken June 2022.

Nor does T3.

T2, I will admit, is about an hour's walk.

(T5 also has the disadvantage that you usually have to take the little train to the main terminal from B and C gates.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

That’s incredible. That’s from literal touchdown to keying the door of my home. So it includes taxiing, parking, waiting to disembark an economy cabin, walk to passport, passport, luggage collection, walk to Heathrow express, train to Paddington, cab from Paddington to Camden

84 minutes!

How many minutes though until you are on the internet looking for the next travel adventure? :smiley:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228

HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

Bartholomew Roberts.

Ignoring your Sturgeon 2011 faux pas (as pointed out by Theuniondivvie), there is unlikely to be much worry in Scotland at Holyrood 2026 that the Tories are going to be the largest party, so there will be a comparison made with Labour run Wales, which will not flatter Labour, especially as they have been in power there since 1999.

In spite of comments by some to the contrary, the SNP do want independence , and the blocking of a referendum by a Labour Westminster government will progressively irritate the electorate.

Those who suggest that independence will fade away are liable to be presented with the Lord George Robertson award for political naivety (devolution will kill the SNP stone dead or some such nonsense was his foolish claim)

No, it will progressively irritate Nationalist elements of the electorate. However as last night's results show they are smaller than they were in 2015.

Indeed on the swing last night it is not impossible Sarwar could replace Yousaf as FM by the end of 2026
    Would the Tories vote for Sarwar, if abstaining meant Yousaf stayed FM?
    Possibly, though on the by election swing last night Labour would win most seats anyway so LD support and Tory abstention would be enough to make Sarwar FM
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228

Wings has some interesting analysis suggesting that Lab's victory in Rutherglen isn't as good as it looks:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-surge/#more-139909

Yes but in their previous thread they still called on Yousaf to resign

https://wingsoverscotland.com/getting-left-behind/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,993

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

How many minutes though until you are on the internet looking for the next travel adventure? :smiley:
    He has certainly confirmed for me that the Maldives doesn't need to be on my to do list. It seems to encapsulate everything I dislike.
  • Options
    Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmmm: I don't think that is that amazing; I've regularly made it onto a Heathrow Express/Elizabeth Line train in less than 30 minutes from touchdown. (Admittedly, it does depend on the timing of the trains.)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,411

Hengist Pod and his wife, Senna.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Errr.. https://x.com/fcdwhittaker/status/1710329106800284102?s=46&t=2iv1prQ4P8HyMrM-UX0Dig

BREAKING: The DfE has admitted an error in its school funding allocations for 2024-25 that would have inflated the core schools budget by…£370 MILLION

I mean..
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286
    🎶Rutherglen no more🎶
    🎶Hamilton no more🎶

• Options

Errr.. https://x.com/fcdwhittaker/status/1710329106800284102?s=46&t=2iv1prQ4P8HyMrM-UX0Dig

BREAKING: The DfE has admitted an error in its school funding allocations for 2024-25 that would have inflated the core schools budget by…£370 MILLION

I mean..

would've, could've, should,ve...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmmm: I don't think that is that amazing; I've regularly made it onto a Heathrow Express/Elizabeth Line train in less than 30 minutes from touchdown. (Admittedly, it does depend on the timing of the trains.)
    From touchdown and in an economy class cabin?

I mean the moment the tyres hit the tarmac and I’m
    at the back of the plane and I landed at T5 - so I also had to do the little train, and you have to add the extra 12 minutes on Heathrow express (from T5)

I accept we are entering technicalities here, which may be of slightly less interest to non travel specialists

• Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

He has certainly confirmed for me that the Maldives doesn't need to be on my to do list. It seems to encapsulate everything I dislike.
    Hmm

If someone ever offers you a free holiday in the Maldives: TAKE IT

They are sublime if you want sheer luxury (and world class scuba and snorkelling). Unquestionably the best and biggest cluster of super luxurious resorts in the world

However if you want life and couture and authenticity - or you are averse to dropping £10k of your own cash on a mere week abroad - avoid like the plague
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

From touchdown and in an economy class cabin?

I mean the moment the tyres hit the tarmac and I’m
    at the back of the plane and I landed at T5 - so I also had to do the little train, and you have to add the extra 12 minutes on Heathrow express (from T5)

I accept we are entering technicalities here, which may be of slightly less interest to non travel specialists

I grant you, I will have been at the pointy end of the plane which will have saved at least ten minutes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Coincidentally, there are 80 days until Christmas. Luckily, our supermarkets already have the matter well in hand.
  • Options
    Have we done this??

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    40m
    Chris Grayling becomes the 50th MP elected as a Tory to stand down for the next election.
  • Options

I mean..

Rishi slashes schools budget by £370 million?
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,384
    edited October 2023
    I reckon that Slalom Sir Keir Starmer's political views are very close to those of our legend of Alpine love, Nick Palmer

Nick's a lovely and reasonable chap, but he supported Jezza through thin and thinner
  • Options

Have we done this??

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    40m
    Chris Grayling becomes the 50th MP elected as a Tory to stand down for the next election.

The 50th ? Does he get some sort of prize for that - or is that reserved for the 100th?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Heathrow to my flat is:

Photo taken June 2022.

Two Elizabeth Line trains an hour, but don't forget you also have four HEx trains an hour from T2/3. So SIX trains an hour T2/3 > T5.

T2/3 to T5 (or T4) is free travel.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

They are sublime if you want sheer luxury (and world class scuba and snorkelling). Unquestionably the best and biggest cluster of super luxurious resorts in the world

However if you want life and couture and authenticity - or you are averse to dropping £10k of your own cash on a mere week abroad - avoid like the plague
    Oddly, it's one of the few foreign holidays I didn't really enjoy. It was boring.

Maybe it was because it followed a week in Sri Lanka, which I enjoyed very much.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,642

Have we done this??

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    40m

That will be a huge loss to the country.
    Not.
  • Options
    What took him so long???

Dale Vince
    @DaleVince
    ·
    4h
    Fairly big news breaking right now is an announcement from me.

I’ll no longer be funding Just Stop Oil as I feel that more protest and disruption will just feed the new Tory culture war narrative; it can’t actually stop oil.
  • Options

Have we done this??

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    40m

Not.
    I am inconsolable to be honest.

Truly, we are in the end of days.

• Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

Oddly, it's one of the few foreign holidays I didn't really enjoy. It was boring.

Maybe it was because it followed a week in Sri Lanka, which I enjoyed very much.
    Yes they are really boring. There’s nothing to do and you’re usually stuck on the one island, paying £1k a night or more

But quite a few really rich people want exactly that. Two weeks of total privacy and luxury with choices taken away. You are forced to relax

If you’re a multi millionaire businessman with a usually-hectic life I can totally see the appeal

The sommelier on the 2nd hotel - Constance Halaveli - claims they have “the best wine cellar in the Indian Ocean”. We had a tour. He says the guests absolutely exploit it

Eg He told us he has a regular Swiss mogul client who comes twice a year and before he arrives he emails a list of the wines he wants for the whole holiday. Petrus one night, Grange Hermitage the next. The sommelier reckons this Swiss guy spends $1000 a day on wine alone
  • Options
    edited October 2023

I mean..

Rishi slashes schools budget by £370 million?
    Sounds a bit too close to £350m to be a coincidence.

• Options
    Rutherglen was a mighty result for Lab but the SNP are still ahead of where they were as recently as 2010. I suspect they will comfortably be in double figures but that the chances of the Lib Dems overtaking them and regaining that sweet PMQ publicity have gone up almost as much as Lab's chances of an overall majority.

Looks good for Lab in Tamworth - though far from in the bag. Mid Beds is rather more tricky.
  • Options

Have we done this??

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    40m

Not.
    He was still an MP?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,958
    My quickest door to door involving a flight was just over 2 hours.

From the firm’s office in Antwerp, 15 mins to Antwerp airport 25 minutes before the flight (yes really, this was back in 2009), flight to LCY around 45 mins, out of LCY in about 25 mins, then 20 minutes on DLR and Jubilee to the office in Canary Wharf.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

To me the Maldives symbolises everything wrong with long haul tourism.

1) the capital is one of the most crowded islands in the world with a quarter of a million people in a little over 3 Square miles. Raw sewage goes straight into the ocean, and water is in short supply. The Tourist resorts are incredibly spacious on the out lying islands.

2) the government is an Islamic fundamentalist one, under Sharia law with alcohol only allowed to tourists staying in resorts on the outlying islands. Local culture is anathema with food and drink imported.

3) the country may well sink below the waves due to global warming, yet the economy is completely dependent on international air travel that is a major contribution to the islands destruction.

The tourists live in an artificial bubble, deliberately kept away from the grim consequences of their holiday in paradise.

Not my cup of tea, but I don't expect any of this to appear in your paid puffery in The Spectator. Freebies only go to"Travel Journalists" willing to write advertising copy and pretend it is journalism.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

1) the capital is one of the most crowded islands in the world with a quarter of a million people in a little over 3 Square miles. Raw sewage goes straight into the ocean, and water is in short supply. The Tourist resorts are incredibly spacious on the out lying islands.

2) the government is an Islamic fundamentalist one, under Sharia law with alcohol only allowed to tourists staying in resorts on the outlying islands. Local culture is anathema with food and drink imported.

3) the country may well sink below the waves due to global warming, yet the economy is completely dependent on international air travel that is a major contribution to the islands destruction.

The tourists live in an artificial bubble, deliberately kept away from the grim consequences of their holiday in paradise.

Not my cup of tea, but I don't expect any of this to appear in your paid puffery in The Spectator. Freebies only go to"Travel Journalists" willing to write advertising copy and pretend it is journalism.
    That’s all well and good but I write for the Knappers Gazette and we’re trying to diversify their economy into granitic vibrators. You should be applauding me not seething with envy
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094
    edited October 2023
    TimS said:

My quickest door to door involving a flight was just over 2 hours.

From the firm’s office in Antwerp, 15 mins to Antwerp airport 25 minutes before the flight (yes really, this was back in 2009), flight to LCY around 45 mins, out of LCY in about 25 mins, then 20 minutes on DLR and Jubilee to the office in Canary Wharf.

Used to do that in 2019.

Durham tees airport at 6:00 for the 6:30 flight, land Schiphol 8:30, walk out of airport and 300 more yards, into clients office at 8:45 (7:45 uk time).

Got to be a running joke on week 3 that the person who lived abroad was the first one in..
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

That’s all well and good but I write for the Knappers Gazette and we’re trying to diversify their economy into granitic vibrators. You should be applauding me not seething with envy
    No not envious at all.

When I travel, I am interested in local culture, food, customs, and even politics. I like to spread the money to local people, so that they too can benefit, rather than just be house elves or in a human zoo.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Leon said:

Also well done British Airways. An empty economy cabin. Cheerful staff. Perfect WiFi all the way. Plenty of good wine. Nice food. Landed exactly on time

Impressive. Far better than Qatar the other way

What did you think of the new uniforms?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Also well done British Airways. An empty economy cabin. Cheerful staff. Perfect WiFi all the way. Plenty of good wine. Nice food. Landed exactly on time

I’ve wondered occasionally whether, if you could only afford to fly first/club one way and economy the other which way round is best?

If you take the more comfortable option on the way there, you start the holiday more relaxed, your holiday has started earlier in a way. You come back economy and it’s more grim but then your holiday is over and it’s a stark reminder that the holiday is over and normality will resume.

If you do it the other way round you have a more uncomfortable journey there but it doesn’t matter because you get to your destination and luxuriate so the journey didn’t matter and the return in first/club softens the blow of the end of your holiday and just extends that feeling of relaxation to the last moment.
    You take the overnight flight in the higher class

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

Oddly enough - I've been watching an increasing % of people on Australian cookery shows who have fled from the Maldives.

I'm now looking forward to both a Guardian article bemoaning them being 'victims of global warming' and a Flint Knappers Gazette article bemoaning them being 'victims of their own success'.

All the while the poor f**ks drowning in a rising sea created by a heady froth of religious intolerance and CO2.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Have we done this??

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    40m

Not.
    He was still an MP?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-67034851?

BBC article mentions prostrate cancer.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

No not envious at all.

When I travel, I am interested in local culture, food, customs, and even politics. I like to spread the money to local people, so that they too can benefit, rather than just be house elves or in a human zoo.
    You do realise I have been to all seven continents and maybe 120 countries? And just occasionally I write about things other than exceptional wine cellars? Like, say, customs, culture, food, and even politics?

My inspiration is this Spectator writer

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-i-learnt-on-my-grown-up-gap-year/

But I think you get a masturbatory kick from your delusions of moral superiority, so you do you
  • Options
    Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Over 80 minutes ?
    The members of the Reform Club demand half your fortune.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Have we done this??

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    40m

Not.
    He was still an MP?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-67034851?

BBC article mentions prostrate cancer.
    Sorry to hear that, but I genuinely thought he'd already stepped down.
  • Options

OT. Not sure if this has been covered earlier but this Government is once again proving what a bunch of utter shits they are.

So we all know that they are selling off the land that they bought for the Northern section of HS2. What I wasn't aware of until now was that they have to offer it back to the former owners first.

But if you want to buy back the property you were forced to sell to the Government you have to now pay more than you got for selling it to them. Many of the homes were subject to compulsory purchase as far back as 2015 and the former owners must now pay the current market value if they want them back. Many of course cannot afford that.

Ignoring all the other stuff about them salting the earth, this is a fucking atrocious thing to do. I was and still am in favour of cancelling HS2 (the whole lot) but this sort of behaviour just makes you realise what utter scumbags this lot are.

But if they get to buy back at the original price (which I think included a premium for disruption) then you are just handing an immediate windfall to well off people
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Nice

But the new safety video is painfully Woke. Its actually embarrassing

I’d say 70-80% of the many people in it are black. And definitely black. There’s maybe one or two Asian/Muslim people

I like to see a diverse Britain represented on screen. That’s a good thing. But what BA are presenting is not diverse at all. It’s like it’s trying to say “Britain is 80% black” NOT “diverse”

It’s so weird it’s cringe. God knows what foreigners make of it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Heathrow to my flat is:

Photo taken June 2022.

Nor does T3.

T2, I will admit, is about an hour's walk.

(T5 also has the disadvantage that you usually have to take the little train to the main terminal from B and C gates.)
    Never take the little train.

You walk instead through the sneaky tunnel
  • Options

Leon said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1820243/British-airways-uniforms-gender-cheap
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,468
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

And they have a huge heroin problem.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

What, all of the Speccie's writers ?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

Hard to think why anyone would want to escape there as either a refugee or into the despair of addiction isn't it?
  • Options
    OK let’s do a PB poll

I’m genuinely curious. How many PBers would turn down a free £10k holiday in the Maldives for all the reasons @Foxy says? Sharia law, hypocrisy, climate change, etc?

I am happy to accept that @foxy might actually do that - consumed with pompous Puritan moral self congratulation as he is, he also seems sincere

Wouid anyone else say No? Please be honest!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

No not envious at all.

You do realise I have been to all seven continents and maybe 120 countries? And just occasionally I write about things other than exceptional wine cellars? Like, say, customs, culture, food, and even politics?

My inspiration is this Spectator writer

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-i-learnt-on-my-grown-up-gap-year/

But I think you get a masturbatory kick from your delusions of moral superiority, so you do you
    I will happily apologise if your Spectator piece exposes the environmental degradation, political despotism and Sharia law of the Maldives.

Go on, I dare you.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    Leon said:

OK let’s do a PB poll

I’m genuinely curious. How many PBers would turn down a free £10k holiday in the Maldives for all the reasons @Foxy says? Sharia law, hypocrisy, climate change, etc?

I am happy to accept that @foxy might actually do that - consumed with pompous Puritan moral self congratulation as he is, he also seems sincere

I would turn it down. As reviews go "Sharia law, hypocrisy, climate change" isn't really selling to me.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

He’s actually right. They do have a heroin problem in the Maldives. It’s because they don’t allow booze. See Iran for something very similar on vastly greater scale

However most of the locals - in my experience - absolutely love the hotels. Before tourism arrived the Maldives was a fly blown malarial archipelago ignored by the British (we owned it)

Now the men have a route out of poverty and a gateway to global jobs. And the women have a way out of that veiled sharia law

And of course it all brings lots of money which DOES go to the locals. I’ve been to the main island of Mahe - and stayed there. And talked to the
    Maldivians. I doubt if 5% of them want to return to the old impoverished life. All they can offer is tourism
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

US Jobs surge

migrants?

Well it was just for you and your dawg
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

He’s actually right. They do have a heroin problem in the Maldives. It’s because they don’t allow booze. See Iran for something very similar on vastly greater scale

However most of the locals absolutely love the hotels. Before tourism arrived the Maldives was a fly blown malarial archipelago ignored by the British (we owned it)

Now the men have a route out of poverty and a gateway to global jobs. And the women have a way out of that veiled sharia
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

OK let’s do a PB poll

I would turn it down. As reviews go "Sharia law, hypocrisy, climate change" isn't really selling to me.
    Honestly? If someone said “here have a free ten grand holiday in Soneva Fushi” - you’d turn it down on moral grounds?

I am surrounded by living saints
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Jesus Christ vanilla is annoying
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Alkso, they have to pay CGT on the original sale price. Which of course goes to HMG.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

However most of the locals - in my experience - absolutely love the hotels. Before tourism arrived the Maldives was a fly blown malarial archipelago ignored by the British (we owned it)

Now the men have a route out of poverty and a gateway to global jobs. And the women have a way out of that veiled sharia law

And of course it all brings lots of money which DOES go to the locals. I’ve been to the main island of Mahe - and stayed there. And talked to the
    Maldivians. I doubt if 5% of them want to return to the old impoverished life. All they can offer is tourism
    if you want to do well in certain echelons of life, there are 14 words that govern your every utterance: “No Black person ever went broke telling white people what they want to hear.”
  • Options
    Leon said:

OK let’s do a PB poll

I'd agree with Foxy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nice

I’d say 70-80% of the many people in it are black. And definitely black. There’s maybe one or two Asian/Muslim people

I like to see a diverse Britain represented on screen. That’s a good thing. But what BA are presenting is not diverse at all. It’s like it’s trying to say “Britain is 80% black” NOT “diverse”

Who cares if they are white, black, yellow, green, or turquoise with pink spots like the gecko I once saw?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,269
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Heathrow to my flat is:

Photo taken June 2022.

sounds like a nice problem to have tbh
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Coincidentally, there are 80 days until Christmas. Luckily, our supermarkets already have the matter well in hand.
    Had the Lakeland catalogue this morning, also IIRC the John Muir Trust one.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nice

Who cares if they are white, black, yellow, green, or turquoise with pink spots like the gecko I once saw?
    Because it is completely unrepresentative of Britain to the extent it is truly WEIRD

I mean, they are obviously trying to say “look Britain is a vibrant multicultural multiracial country!” and I totally APPROVE of that - and they are obviously aware of race hence the video - but the video is so slanted to one minority demographic it actually gives a different impression

Would you say a video that is majority black is remotely and racially representative of Britain?
  • Options
    So far everyone on PB would turn down a free £10k holiday in the Maldives

Excuse me but

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nice

Because it is completely unrepresentative of Britain to the extent it is truly WEIRD

I mean, they are obviously trying to say “look Britain is a vibrant multicultural multiracial country!” and I totally APPROVE of that - and they are obviously aware of race hence the video - but the video is so slanted to one minority demographic it actually gives a different impression

Would you say a video that is majority black is remotely and racially representative of Britain?
    Who cares?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nice

Could be, depnds where it was filmed. I have a friend whose dad was on the first Windrush voyage (yes, I found and got the ship's manifest for him). He grew up in a pretty Black area.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nice

Who cares?
    That too ...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    If you think the phrase “women’s boundaries matter” is a bigoted dog-whistle you may be suffering from misogyny. Symptoms include failure to respect boundaries and a belief that women asserting their boundaries is motivated by hatred rather than privacy, dignity, and consent.

https://x.com/michaelpforan/status/1710329991680966677
  • Options
    Leon said:

So far everyone on PB would turn down a free £10k holiday in the Maldives

Excuse me but

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Now, if it was Aldabra, that would be quite different for me.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Heathrow to my flat is:

Photo taken June 2022.

I can tell you how to cope with a breakdown on the Birmingham New Street to Euston line by going via Coventry. Or how to cope with delays to Bournemouth from Waterloo by going via the Tube to Victoria then the Soton train via Horsham. Or how to cheer one's spirits when stuck in Basingstoke by popping out to the nice little chip van outside.

You know

If that would help.

:(
  • Options
    Pintz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

EIGHTY FOUR MINUTES

84 minutes!

Hmm

No not envious at all.

You should get out more in the city you live in. Then Tooting and most of the rest of London wouldn't be such a foreign country to you.

I wonder how many of the 32 boroughs you've ever spent more than three consecutive hours in.

You praise London for being a "world city", and then you say you want to control immigration because otherwise you fear Britain will be dominated by Africans. You can't have it both ways. Immigration is what makes a world city.

You're Alf Garnett, basically. You can't handle too many black people on an airline video. I bet you're still seething about Coca-Cola's "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" film. Every decade has its Alfs.

What does the man know about "culture" who refers to wine he gets served at a Rothschild do as "£500 wine"?

The Sex Pistols had a good line when they sang about "a cheap holiday in other people's misery" - or in your case, a paid holiday.
    I live in Camden Town. It probably doesn’t get more multiracial - anywhere in the world
  • Options
    So there is not one PB-er willing to admit that Yeah, they would accept a free £10,000 holiday in the Maldives, you would all refuse because of the whole sharia law/heroin/sewage/house-elves issue, and demand a short yurting weekend in Staffordshire instead?

I mean, guys, this is pitiful. Not a single spine amongst you
  • Options
    Leon said:

So there is not one PB-er willing to admit that Yeah, they would accept a free £10,000 holiday in the Maldives, you would all refuse because of the whole sharia law/heroin/sewage/house-elves issue, and demand a short yurting weekend in Staffordshire instead?

I mean, guys, this is pitiful. Not a single spine amongst you

Nah. I'd rather have a week in Wick. Great place.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Wednesday morning pre-school meeting we were told we finally had the budget for reasonable staffing.
    We were happy. Posts were advertised.
    Now we know better.
    Joy.
This discussion has been closed.