Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB strong favourites to gain Mid-Beds – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,496

TimS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"A mother-of-three has been left fearing for her children's safety after a violent XL Bully-type dog got into her garden and killed the family's beloved pet cat – in violent scenes caught on CCTV.

Nima Begum, 40, was in her house when she heard a commotion outside and saw a man wrestling with the powerful animal.

He kept shouting 'Your cat is fine', even though his pet's jaws were covered in blood.

Ms Begum rushed outside and found her terrified cat Kiwi cowering in a tree, which she managed to get down with the help of a passer-by. But the tabby died before she could get her to a vet."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12601837/horrifying-moment-XL-Bully-savagely-mauls-familys-cat-death.html

This is driving me nuts. How much longer is the government going to wait? Get a fucking move on. Just order immediate muzzling NOW. The whole country wants it. Only 10% oppose

While they dither the attacks will continue and soon enough we will be faced with an utterly hideous video of a tiny child being eaten alive

Muzzle these fuckers. Give the owners a slapping
    Put it down as another useless intervention by our PM.
    The Tories can go fuck themselves. Everything they do is performative. Nothing ever actually happens. Apart from cancelling HS2

If there is an issue with muzzling these dogs then get on TV and explain the problem. What is it?? In the last three days a man has been killed and a toddler nearly lost a leg

Still not as many deaths as the motor car so espoused by Mr Sunak. His refusal to go to 20mph zones and his ban of LTNs is going to kill many more people.

Not that that is any excuse for the dogs. The argument may be that the existing laws are sufficient in principle - dangerous dogs out of control in public and so on. Though we need a clear statement one way or another, as you say. And if they are sufficient, why do we still have the DDA on the statute book banning some breeds?
    But the thing is, after the next inevitable and horrifying video of someone being mauled to death, the government will suddenly discover that it CAN do something immediately. In response to the public outcry. Meaning their immobility now is pitiful complacency or incompetence or thanks to some disgraceful lobbying by the RSPCA

I hope I’m wrong and this video never arrives
    Quite so, on both points. Though it's not just the RSPCA, I am sure. There is a real threat to more politically influential owners' dogs. Remember Malmesbury's - Or at least I think it was him - suggestion that only the more working class breeds got it in the original DDA. not the equally dangerous but more upper class ones.
    It wasn't me, but that kind of misses the point.

If you ask medics, the really damaging doc attacks they deal with generally come from a small number of breeds. Think plastic surgery to rebuild arms and faces.

There are other breeds that attack, but the bulk of the serious injuries....
    Quite: the ones with large jaws and heavy musculature. Yet nothing seems to be happening - least of all in the way of announcements. Or if so I missed it. Ms Coffey would ne the one to listen to at the Mancunian conference, it being DEFRA's job. But all I can find on a quick check is this about gun control:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-cabinet-minister-boasts-blocked-31096850

Main speech has a different kind of dog in it, that's all ("dogged determination").

https://www.ukpol.co.uk/therese-coffey-2023-speech-to-conservative-party-conference/
    The reason is standard politics.

The reason the Dangerous Dogs act is Evul, Wrung and Stuuupid isn't the act itself. It is the concern that it grants the government carte blanche to ban type of dogs for attacking people.

So everyone with a dog is afraid they will come for Fido.

The result is a very vocal lobby of "don't ban any dogs" types. While they may be a minority, they are very active. See the recent petitions. This is a political red light - vocal, active minorities translate into voters.

It seems that the majority want a ban, but are not especially fired up over it. But a very fired up minority oppose a ban.
    There may well be something in that.

The most dangerous breed in terms of total bites is the Labrador. Of course this is absurd in one sense as there are so many - but by the same token, there must be a lot of Lanrador owners fearful that their Rover gets the needle if something ever goes wrong.

The alternative is to look even harder at the dog's training - which is even more frightening.

Around 1% of the electorate have signed the "XL bully [...] loves children and people in general" petition and

Tam,worth is a particular highlight with just gone 1.5% of all voters signed up.
    See map here: https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=643611

And remind me, what's happening there soon?
    The XL Bully? Do people not think there's a clue in the name?

I am not sure what I think about this. I'm currently living with my in-laws and their poorly-socialized Springer Spaniel, who I could unfortunately easily see biting someone in the wrong circumstances. It's not just the breed that can make a dog dangerous, but how well (or not) it's been trained.

I think this might be an example where an expansion of access to civil law would bring about improvements. If it was easier for people to sue the owners of dogs for the damage they cause, and the courts would hold people liable for the damage caused by their pets, then I think that would encourage dog owners to better train their dogs, keep them under better control when in public, choose more placid pets and provide remedy when these steps fail.

I don't think it's possible to draw a binary distinction between dog breeds that are safe and dog breeds that are unsafe, and so there will always be cases that can't be dealt with by banning a subset of dogs.
    To avoid accusations of dog racism, why not adopt something like a 3 strikes and you're out policy. Any breed that is involved in 3 attacks leading to serious injury of someone other than the adult owner (and excluding sepsis from bites) is automatically banned. After 2 such attacks, compulsory muzzling outside the home.
    Doesn't that tend towards having every breed of dog banned, eventually?
    Miaow, I couldn't purrsibly comment.
    Imagine if cat-owners were charged for the wildlife destruction their cats are responsible for?
    I have actually been hospitalised by a cat twice in the last few years.

The first one was a Saturday morning, a local cat (we didn't know who owned it) which had been breaking in at night and terrorising our two before usually leaving a shit on the kitchen floor, had got in but couldn't get back out. I grabbed it with the intention of putting it into a basket and taking tot he vets to be snipped, assuming it an un-neutered Tom. It bit me deep in the thumb, at which I threw it on the floor. 24 hours later I was in hospital with a septic arm on IV antibiotics, and the cat had only one eye, the throwing on the floor having injured it beyond repair.

Second was a couple of months ago, and Sunday night and I picked up one of our cats to carry downstairs. I slipped on the steps and fell breaking 4 ribs. I spent 2 nights in hospital.

Cats have it in for me. There is perhaps a karmic element to this after an unfortunate series of events that took place back in 2007.
    There's a whimsical weekly newspaper column in the Guardian for that sort of content if you were willing to flesh it out a bit. Wowsers.
    Deflesh it, surely ...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,257
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"A mother-of-three has been left fearing for her children's safety after a violent XL Bully-type dog got into her garden and killed the family's beloved pet cat – in violent scenes caught on CCTV.

Nima Begum, 40, was in her house when she heard a commotion outside and saw a man wrestling with the powerful animal.

He kept shouting 'Your cat is fine', even though his pet's jaws were covered in blood.

Ms Begum rushed outside and found her terrified cat Kiwi cowering in a tree, which she managed to get down with the help of a passer-by. But the tabby died before she could get her to a vet."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12601837/horrifying-moment-XL-Bully-savagely-mauls-familys-cat-death.html

This is driving me nuts. How much longer is the government going to wait? Get a fucking move on. Just order immediate muzzling NOW. The whole country wants it. Only 10% oppose

While they dither the attacks will continue and soon enough we will be faced with an utterly hideous video of a tiny child being eaten alive

The Tories can go fuck themselves. Everything they do is performative. Nothing ever actually happens. Apart from cancelling HS2

If there is an issue with muzzling these dogs then get on TV and explain the problem. What is it?? In the last three days a man has been killed and a toddler nearly lost a leg

Still not as many deaths as the motor car so espoused by Mr Sunak. His refusal to go to 20mph zones and his ban of LTNs is going to kill many more people.

Not that that is any excuse for the dogs. The argument may be that the existing laws are sufficient in principle - dangerous dogs out of control in public and so on. Though we need a clear statement one way or another, as you say. And if they are sufficient, why do we still have the DDA on the statute book banning some breeds?
    But the thing is, after the next inevitable and horrifying video of someone being mauled to death, the government will suddenly discover that it CAN do something immediately. In response to the public outcry. Meaning their immobility now is pitiful complacency or incompetence or thanks to some disgraceful lobbying by the RSPCA

Quite so, on both points. Though it's not just the RSPCA, I am sure. There is a real threat to more politically influential owners' dogs. Remember Malmesbury's - Or at least I think it was him - suggestion that only the more working class breeds got it in the original DDA. not the equally dangerous but more upper class ones.

If you ask medics, the really damaging doc attacks they deal with generally come from a small number of breeds. Think plastic surgery to rebuild arms and faces.

Quite: the ones with large jaws and heavy musculature. Yet nothing seems to be happening - least of all in the way of announcements. Or if so I missed it. Ms Coffey would ne the one to listen to at the Mancunian conference, it being DEFRA's job. But all I can find on a quick check is this about gun control:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-cabinet-minister-boasts-blocked-31096850

Main speech has a different kind of dog in it, that's all ("dogged determination").

https://www.ukpol.co.uk/therese-coffey-2023-speech-to-conservative-party-conference/

The reason the Dangerous Dogs act is Evul, Wrung and Stuuupid isn't the act itself. It is the concern that it grants the government carte blanche to ban type of dogs for attacking people.

The result is a very vocal lobby of "don't ban any dogs" types. While they may be a minority, they are very active. See the recent petitions. This is a political red light - vocal, active minorities translate into voters.

It seems that the majority want a ban, but are not especially fired up over it. But a very fired up minority oppose a ban.

The most dangerous breed in terms of total bites is the Labrador. Of course this is absurd in one sense as there are so many - but by the same token, there must be a lot of Lanrador owners fearful that their Rover gets the needle if something ever goes wrong.

The alternative is to look even harder at the dog's training - which is even more frightening.

Around 1% of the electorate have signed the "XL bully [...] loves children and people in general" petition and

Tam,worth is a particular highlight with just gone 1.5% of all voters signed up.

I am not sure what I think about this. I'm currently living with my in-laws and their poorly-socialized Springer Spaniel, who I could unfortunately easily see biting someone in the wrong circumstances. It's not just the breed that can make a dog dangerous, but how well (or not) it's been trained.

I think this might be an example where an expansion of access to civil law would bring about improvements. If it was easier for people to sue the owners of dogs for the damage they cause, and the courts would hold people liable for the damage caused by their pets, then I think that would encourage dog owners to better train their dogs, keep them under better control when in public, choose more placid pets and provide remedy when these steps fail.

I don't think it's possible to draw a binary distinction between dog breeds that are safe and dog breeds that are unsafe, and so there will always be cases that can't be dealt with by banning a subset of dogs.
    The nerf gun we have in the office has an unstable trigger. If you drop it, it can go off. And hit you in the ankle with a foam dart.

A Violet Club nuclear weapon could, if dropped, yield 25kt.

This is why nerf guns are unregulated. And nuclear weapons are.
    It's pretty easy to draw a distinction between a nerf fun and a nuclear weapon. Is it so easy to draw distinctions between different dog breeds?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_Kingdom#2020–present

Looks a slam dunk for the XL Bully.
    I was under the impression that Rottweilers and Bull Terriers were already banned by the DDA, but they're still responsible for recent attacks.

I guess I'm wondering whether simply banking this single breed is going to be all that effective, as opposed to a more general change in the law that would make it clear that owners were responsible for the actions of their dogs.
    It sounds a bit like the problem with synthetic drugs, where for a long time it was about repeatedly banning a specific one just leads to a change in chemical compounds used and rinse and repeat...normally towards ever more unpredictable outcomes.
    That is part of the issue with finding a longterm solution, as they just breed new permutations of mutt. Which, of course, is precisely why Bully XLs\ don't violate the DDA.
    Banning and muzzling them would be a a good start, however. It would certainly save lives (and dozens of smaller pets)

Once that is done we can maybe work on a more permanent solution

The government has promised this before the end of the year but such is my contempt and mistrust for then I wouldn’t be surprised if they find some reason not to bother

Which is all another way of saying: the Tories really need to fuck off. If someone like me has lost all hope in them and regards them with sour despair, often tinged with disgust, then they are screwed beyond measure and they might as well accept it
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

To avoid accusations of dog racism, why not adopt something like a 3 strikes and you're out policy. Any breed that is involved in 3 attacks leading to serious injury of someone other than the adult owner (and excluding sepsis from bites) is automatically banned. After 2 such attacks, compulsory muzzling outside the home.
    Imagine if cat-owners were charged for the wildlife destruction their cats are responsible for?
    Not a cat owner but is it not just all the circle of life?

Wildlife lives and wildlife dies.
    But wholesale extermination of species is not on, and that's what cats come close to doing.
    There is definitely an issue particularly in dense urban areas. Very few dogs around here, it's cat country. Notably fewer little birds than there are up the road on Blackheath hill which is more dog country.

(I'm a cat owner but don't blame me, it was the rest of the family's choice).
    Quite. We keep an eye on the diversity of small bird life in our garden andf it has crashed since the neighbours got two cats. Things like killing the male of the resident bullfinch pair, and generally frightening the rest away.
    Yes. Owning cats is irredeemably selfish. You’re basically destroying all of British wildlife coz you like a furry animal around. Get a grip
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Been pondering again whom I should vote for around here. It's been a two horse race for a long, long time apart from in the early 2000s when it was a 1 horse race.
    I'd previously come to the conclusion that it had to be SNP because my priority was to throw the useless sack of shit Duguid and the Tories in general out.

I still can't imagine that anyone else is the main challenger but last night's result was so bad for the SNP I'm wondering.

Last election: Con 50% SNP 40% LD 5% Lab 4%

Thoughts?

Have a look at my earlier post with the [edit!] Prof Curtice discussion and the Blair Foundation report links.
    Sorry, I can't find it, mind highlighting it to me?
    Sure:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23838676.scottish-independence-support-leads-support-union-report-finds/?ref=ebbn

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23837694.john-curtice-uncertain-labour-sealed-deal-electorate/

and while at it

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23838799.rutherglen-result-tells-us-general-election/
    It cannot be Carnyx , the Scotch experts on here say it is finished.
    Hello, Malky! Almost dry here here but not for much longer.

PS The point of those two main postings is - it's not from pro-indy sources.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,179
    a
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Been pondering again whom I should vote for around here. It's been a two horse race for a long, long time apart from in the early 2000s when it was a 1 horse race.
    I'd previously come to the conclusion that it had to be SNP because my priority was to throw the useless sack of shit Duguid and the Tories in general out.

I still can't imagine that anyone else is the main challenger but last night's result was so bad for the SNP I'm wondering.

Thoughts?

Have a look at my earlier post with the [edit!] Prof Curtice discussion and the Blair Foundation report links.
    Sure:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23838676.scottish-independence-support-leads-support-union-report-finds/?ref=ebbn

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23837694.john-curtice-uncertain-labour-sealed-deal-electorate/

and while at it

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23838799.rutherglen-result-tells-us-general-election/
    Is that blended Scotch experts or single malt Scotch experts?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,627
    "Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

To brighten up everyone's Friday afternoon, here's some good news - Elizabeth Line passenger numbers keep growing. Last Thursday it carried 738,000 passengers - the highest yet in a single day. Yesterday may have been busier still - numbers awaited. Build it and they will come!
    4:17 PM · Oct 6, 2023"

https://twitter.com/Modern_Railways/status/1710313441448136955
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,326
    Poland and Hungary refuse to sign declaration at end of EU immigration summit.

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/polen-und-ungarn-blockieren-migrationserklaerung-der-eu-100.html
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

To brighten up everyone's Friday afternoon, here's some good news - Elizabeth Line passenger numbers keep growing. Last Thursday it carried 738,000 passengers - the highest yet in a single day. Yesterday may have been busier still - numbers awaited. Build it and they will come!

Would be interesting to see the hotspots for which bit is growing fastest and at what times.

Paddington to City is one journey that has massively changed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,753
    Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

So cancelling HS2 was probably a mistake then? Who knew?
  • Options

a

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Thoughts?

Sure:

and while at it

Is that blended Scotch experts or single malt Scotch experts?
    This stuff:

'Fond of la belle France?'

'Well I can't say I've ever been there--except to catch this ship.'

'Funny thing, neither have I. Never been out of England except once, when I went to Ostend to cover a chess congress. Ever play chess?'

'No.'

'Nor do I. God, that was a cold story.' The steward placed on the table a syphon and a bottle of whisky which carried the label 'Edouard VIII: Very old Genuine Scotch Whisky: André Bloc et Cie, Saigon,' and the coloured picture of a Regency buck, gazing sceptically at the consumer through a quizzing glass.

'Alphonse,' said Corker, 'I'm surprised at you.'

'No like?'

'Bloody well no like.'

'Whisky-soda,' the man explained, patiently, almost tenderly, as though in the nursery. 'Nice.'

Corker filled his glass, tasted, grimaced, and then resumed the interrupted enquiry.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,675
    TimS said:

nico679 said:

I expect no 10 is close to full on panic mode after no signs of any post conference bounce . Indeed beneath the headline voter intention on YouGov opinions about Sunak amongst those who said it made a difference , 21 now worse , 10 better .

The Tories are desperate to move the needle but at the moment even if some of the policy announcements were popular, voters just aren’t interested in changing their voter intention .

Have they stopped listening or don’t believe anything that Sunak proposes will see the light of day ?

Probably. See also:

NEW POLL: Labour lead by 19 points:

Lab: 45% (nc)
    Con: 26% (-1)
    Lib Dem: 11% (+1)
    Reform: 6% (nc)
    Green: 6% (nc)
    SNP: 3% (nc)
    Others: 3%

https://x.com/techneUK/status/1710218436167520527

Once you break someone's trust (and between them, Johnson, Truss and Sunak have pretty comprehensively done that), it's very hard to win it back. Repeating the old incantations more forcefully isn't going to do it.
    Conference bounce going well.

Looks like cancelling HS2, smoking, A levels, and bully XL dogs is not hitting the sweet spot.
    I think the conference bounce will happen with a bit more of a lag, as the meaning of the announcements this week properly sets in. The downward bounce that is.
    Well exactly.

YouGov:
    "Rishi Sunak has also cancelled the part of
    the HS2 rail link between Birmingham and
    Manchester, meaning the new high speed
    track will only go between London and
    Birmingham. The money saved will instead
    be spent on a range of local transport
    upgrades, including new train stations and
    rail upgrades, road upgrades, and mass
    transit systems.
    Do you think this was the right or wrong
    decision?"
    Right 37%, Wrong 40%

Wait until they find out that most of those projects had already been announced long ago, so that very little genuinely new is going to go ahead, as opposed to projects which people had already been led to believe would happen over the next decade or two.

Imagine the polling response if after "transit systems" the polling question had more accurately added: ".... most of which had already been announced and were being planned for."

• Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Not cancelled- not all of it - not yet. But pouring that lot from HS2 trains at OOC into the EL ... (as already remarked on PB, I regrtet I forget whom by).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Not a cat owner but is it not just all the circle of life?

Wildlife lives and wildlife dies.
    But wholesale extermination of species is not on, and that's what cats come close to doing.
    There is definitely an issue particularly in dense urban areas. Very few dogs around here, it's cat country. Notably fewer little birds than there are up the road on Blackheath hill which is more dog country.

(I'm a cat owner but don't blame me, it was the rest of the family's choice).
    Quite. We keep an eye on the diversity of small bird life in our garden andf it has crashed since the neighbours got two cats. Things like killing the male of the resident bullfinch pair, and generally frightening the rest away.
    We luckily have the perfect answer to that. We have a cat that doesn't take birds. She will happily sit in a garden filled with birds and not bat an eyelid. But having her there means she chases away all the neighbours cats.

I am definitely not a cat person and would not choose to have one. The current cat was a stray my kids adopted whilst I was working away about 15 years ago. When she goes I will not get another. Not only because I don't particularly like them but because the chances of finding another that doesn't attack birds is practically zero.

Our biggest problem with regard to songbirds is magpies which move through every couple of years and devestate the local populations until we drive them off.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

But Rishi had a spreadsheet.

And if Nick Robinson is to be believed, Rishi hated the project all along.

https://x.com/BBCr4today/status/1709811875687419937

Whodathnkit?
  • Options

Totally O/T, but very little decent tv about at the moment....Lupin Season 3 has dropped on Netflix. Always found it quite a fun show, and French isn't too hard if you speak it (the main character speaks quite slowly for a native French speaker).

I've been quite enjoying The Hidden World of Hospitality by Tom Kerridge on BBC Iplayer. It is quite rare to get a program which actually addresses how you run a business and the challenges you face. It's not the deepest analysis but you get a picture from a wide range of different businesses and some interesting models of what is working.

But I agree, its a thin field at the moment.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,312
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

What they're not telling you is how usage has changed on the Central Line and DLR.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,790
    FYI An extract from the today's LD email to get supporters to Mid Beds:

"Ed Davey was knocking on doors in Barton-le-Clay this week, and he told me just how soft the Tory vote felt. Right across Mid Beds, thousands of former Tory voters, who will never back Labour, are ours for the taking - if we can get onto their doorstep in the coming days.

The data is clearer than ever – we can win in Mid Beds. But with the vote as soft as it is, we need hundreds more of you in the constituency this weekend.

Thank you to everyone who has been to help so far – but we need a big increase in volunteer numbers on Saturday and Sunday to make sure Emma is in pole position to win on the 19th."
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

I keep trying to work out how long it'll take to pay of the £20 billion cost of building the Elizabeth Line with these types of passenger numbers, and at the moment I'm getting around 12 years, but may have made a mistake with the calculations.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,675
    edited October 2023

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

The nerf gun we have in the office has an unstable trigger. If you drop it, it can go off. And hit you in the ankle with a foam dart.

A Violet Club nuclear weapon could, if dropped, yield 25kt.

This is why nerf guns are unregulated. And nuclear weapons are.
    It's pretty easy to draw a distinction between a nerf fun and a nuclear weapon. Is it so easy to draw distinctions between different dog breeds?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_Kingdom#2020–present

Looks a slam dunk for the XL Bully.
    Indeed.

Dog breeds are fantastically differentiated, an XL Bully looks very different from a Newfoundland or for that matter a Chihuahua. And you can very easily recognise the dangerous breeds.

On the other hand people look much the same. So on the basis that a male child molester looks very much like any other male, then following the same logic as advocates of measures against dogs in general follow, you should end up calling for all male adults to be banned from parks in the interests of child safety.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

What they're not telling you is how usage has changed on the Central Line and DLR.
    Sure, but the number is astounding. Scotrail had 63m rail journeys in the last 12 month period, equivalent to 1.2m a week or an average of 173k a day. So the entire Scotrail network was carrying 23% of a single tube line. Jeez.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Sure, but the number is astounding. Scotrail had 63m rail journeys in the last 12 month period, equivalent to 1.2m a week or an average of 173k a day. So the entire Scotrail network was carrying 23% of a single tube line. Jeez.
    I don't think that is that surprising: let's not forget that (a) the population of London is a lot more than that of Scotland, and (b) London is by far the most public transport heavy part of the UK.

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,286
    DavidL said:

Totally O/T, but very little decent tv about at the moment....Lupin Season 3 has dropped on Netflix. Always found it quite a fun show, and French isn't too hard if you speak it (the main character speaks quite slowly for a native French speaker).

I've been quite enjoying The Hidden World of Hospitality by Tom Kerridge on BBC Iplayer. It is quite rare to get a program which actually addresses how you run a business and the challenges you face. It's not the deepest analysis but you get a picture from a wide range of different businesses and some interesting models of what is working.

It’s a brutal industry. So many people have this idea about buying a pub or a restaurant because they think they can just do what they like about a particular pub and a restaurant and it will obviously work, because it works for them. They don’t get the immense levels of personal work involved and the multiple layers to the business in relation to staffing, stock, marketing etc.

I remember when my old man retired he thought it would be fun to buy a couple of restaurants and pubs because he thought it would be great to be able to go there with his mates, and even occasionally their wives, and have a place that was made for “them”. He had people running them and didn’t get involved in the day to day micro-organising as that “wasn’t why he bought them”.

Hundreds of grand of burning money later he sold them having had a pointless jolly but there are loads of people who do it when they put all their live savings into it because it’s a “dream” which is even worse. I admire anyone who makes a success of a hospitality business, in fact anyone who works in one. You get the odd genius, you might get lucky but the failures are more common than the successes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Rather longer journeys, in many cases!
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Aussies manage to have a ban on XL Bullies and it works fine. Aussies aren’t regularly mauled to death by them

So it can be done. Do it

I predict - again - that the government will come under irresistible pressure to speed up on this when we encounter the next truly horrible video; probably involving a child

The Aussies banned the episode of Peppa Pig where she befriends a spider.
  • Options

Can someone please explain to me:

A private psychiatrist charges £360 per hour. Let's say they see 4 people per day. That's £1440.

Or £7200 per week.
    Maybe £345,000 per year.

Now I know there are various costs they will need to pay. Rental space, a (shared?) secretary, insurance. But even so, that seems like an awful lot of money. I wonder what the costs would be in similar countries.

We're talking doctors, so the base rate must be what the NHS pays, which is either side of £100k a year for a full timer at consultant level. Multiply by three to cover the other costs and taxes... That's not untypical for that sort of business, is it?

I mean, it's expensive, but doctors are expensive. Probably the most expensive professionals most of us come into contact with on a regular basis. And psychiatry is one of those things that needs a lot of hours.
    From £7,200 a week to £345,000 a year implies only four weeks off. Bank holidays alone would probably add another fortnight. I'd guess around £300,000 with ten weeks off.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Would be interesting to see the hotspots for which bit is growing fastest and at what times.

Heathrow to my flat is:

90 (uncomfortable) minutes by taxi
    55 (expensive) minutes by Heathrow Express plus Taxi
    38 (cheap and efficient) minutes by the Elizabeth Line

It helps, of course, that I'm three minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road tube station.

That said, the Elizabeth line has put me right off British Airways. Simply, because the Elizabeth Line goes to Terminals 2/3, I'd much rather travel by Virgin, American or United, than trek out to Terminal 5.
  • Options

Leon said:

The Aussies manage to have a ban on XL Bullies and it works fine. Aussies aren’t regularly mauled to death by them

So it can be done. Do it

I predict - again - that the government will come under irresistible pressure to speed up on this when we encounter the next truly horrible video; probably involving a child

The Aussies banned the episode of Peppa Pig where she befriends a spider.
    Have you met an Aussie spider? They are all violent bogons. And probably drunk - I swear the one that ran towards me was holding at least four stubbies.
  • Options
    boulay said:

DavidL said:

It’s a brutal industry. So many people have this idea about buying a pub or a restaurant because they think they can just do what they like about a particular pub and a restaurant and it will obviously work, because it works for them. They don’t get the immense levels of personal work involved and the multiple layers to the business in relation to staffing, stock, marketing etc.

I remember when my old man retired he thought it would be fun to buy a couple of restaurants and pubs because he thought it would be great to be able to go there with his mates, and even occasionally their wives, and have a place that was made for “them”. He had people running them and didn’t get involved in the day to day micro-organising as that “wasn’t why he bought them”.

Hundreds of grand of burning money later he sold them having had a pointless jolly but there are loads of people who do it when they put all their live savings into it because it’s a “dream” which is even worse. I admire anyone who makes a success of a hospitality business, in fact anyone who works in one. You get the odd genius, you might get lucky but the failures are more common than the successes.
    Its the old joke...how do you become a millionaire in the restaurant business....start with 2 and open one.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options

US Jobs surge

"Employers added 336,000 jobs in September, almost double what had been predicted, confirming the overall strength of an economy that is facing challenges." NY Times

This is not good news for the Democrats.

So long as the job market is strong, it means the Fed will keep interest rates high. And that means that a lot of people may be employed, but they're still struggling with rising mortgage payments as their ARMs reset.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,878
    This thread has been abandoned and sold off to housing developers
  • Options
    London looking beautiful in the sun as we land. The Thames a ribbon of silver..
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,376
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Thoughts?

Sure:

and while at it

Hello, Malky! Almost dry here here but not for much longer.

PS The point of those two main postings is - it's not from pro-indy sources.
    Chucking it down on west coast Carnyx
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Heathrow to my flat is:

It helps, of course, that I'm three minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road tube station.

That said, the Elizabeth line has put me right off British Airways. Simply, because the Elizabeth Line goes to Terminals 2/3, I'd much rather travel by Virgin, American or United, than trek out to Terminal 5.
    Not any more. There's a half-hourly Shenfield-T5 service now.

Which goes to the heart of something trains do that cars and buses don't. There's glamour in those destination boards, the sense that one could just stay on the train, not bother getting off at Stratford and find oneself anywhere in the world.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Modern Railways
    @Modern_Railways

Heathrow to my flat is:

Isn't it just a 5 minute extra journey on the Liz Line from T2/3 to T5?
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 850
    As I have said the betting this week seems to be going in a different direction to what appears to be happening on the ground. The experienced Lib Dem canvassers are returning to base seemingly quite optimistic, a trifle unusual given we are still two weeks out. I would say the Lib Dems are the value bet. I am just waiting to see whether the odds lengthen further. to make it worth while.

One would expect that the Labour Party might produce another of their commissioned polls this weekend, if not then it will probably indicate what I have gleaned is accurate.

Interesting that the Labour candidate at Tamworth, just like the one at Mid Beds, is claiming to be currently local except that she lived in Moseley, what South East Birmingham , and like the Labour candidates at Mid Beds she has suddenly moved into an apartment, in Tamworth. The Conservatives have run with this. Why Labour get into these situations is baffling , they look silly and panicky. It is so unnecessary.
This discussion has been closed.