Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov – voters want an early election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,676
    Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope

NEW 👀
    Senior Government source tells me Rishi Sunak will announce tomorrow HS2 will be stopping at Birmingham.
    Given MPs have already voted for HS2 to go to Crewe, Tory MPs might have to be whipped to vote to end it at Birmingham. The source says this could be “very bad”.

"Could be" ?

Oh, they mean from their own narrow perspective.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,712
    CatMan said:

Is there the remotest of remote chance that this is one big PR scam and tomorrow Rishi is going to say something like "There are liberal elite doubters who have been badmouthing our rail industry. Well I can tell you now that we will prove them wrong and that HS2 will be built in full!"?

So the whole thing is to get a blaze of publicity for something already announced and underway, hence good news headlines without having to commit any extra spending? Genius.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,363
    CatMan said:

Is there the remotest of remote chance that this is one big PR scam and tomorrow Rishi is going to say something like "There are liberal elite doubters who have been badmouthing our rail industry. Well I can tell you now that we will prove them wrong and that HS2 will be built in full!!!"?

I think this is why Labour are keeping quiet about it. Could be a rabbit out of the hat.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,893
    @BestForBritain

Govt's own Integrated Rail Plan:

"Only when a new line and new platforms at Manchester Piccadilly are built can more services be accommodated. Journey times between Birmingham and Manchester are currently poor. No improvement is possible without additional track capacity."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,010
    People my age will not now see a northern line in our life times thanks to this decision - King of the North.

He's on Newsnight now.
  • Options
    Would love to see some Greater Manchester seat polling after this week.

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,325
    CatMan said:

Is there the remotest of remote chance that this is one big PR scam and tomorrow Rishi is going to say something like "There are liberal elite doubters who have been badmouthing our rail industry. Well I can tell you now that we will prove them wrong and that HS2 will be built in full!!!"?

Nah, he'll spin taking it to Euston as a positive.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

Is there the remotest of remote chance that this is one big PR scam and tomorrow Rishi is going to say something like "There are liberal elite doubters who have been badmouthing our rail industry. Well I can tell you now that we will prove them wrong and that HS2 will be built in full!"?

So the whole thing is to get a blaze of publicity for something already announced and underway, hence good news headlines without having to commit any extra spending? Genius.
    "Those evil meat taxers planned to halt it, but I say, not on my watch"...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,817
    edited October 2023
    Wolverhampton station tram stop, opened on the 17th September at the end of a half-mile extension, along with Pipers Row stop adjacent to the bus station, as seen on Sunday. Pouring heavily with rain at this time! Anyway, I'm now up to date with GB light rail extensions :)

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,245

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

@paulwaugh

Well this is unusual for a PM the night before his conference speech.
    @RishiSunak pressing the flesh in the hotel bar.

McCarthy has given him a vision of his future...

He's finally realised which idiot is in charge and plans to find out whether getting nicely drunk will help him forget
    Isn't he teetotal? I could have that wrong.
    Yes, he is. Which is why he would be planning to find out.

For anyone other than Rishi that doesn't know I can offer my verdict on that question: drinking does help you forget.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,165
    CatMan said:

Rishi stopped the cancellation of HS2!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,836
    From a PR perspective, I'm trying to think if there's any way they could have handled the HS2 thing better. They couldn't really have announced the policy at the beginning, because the media would have spent the whole conference picking the policy apart.

I'd maybe have considered giving to Hunt to break the bad news in his speech, as he's less popular than the plague anyway. Leave him to swing the axe on HS2, then Rishi hands out the consolation sweeties in his speech.

And rather than being a disloyal grab for leadership (which is probably was), Suella being quite aggressive in her speech can be considered quite an heroic attempt to move the news agenda away from HS2 momentarily for Sunak.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,772
    CatMan said:

Not really, because what would be the advantage politically in persistently dodging the question for a week and more, creating the doubt, then trying to win plaudits for doing nothing new and just confirming you are doing what you'd said you'd do?

I don't even really care about HS2, and it seems like another project with terrible planning and ballooning costs, but it defies even political sense to make yourself look indecisive and weak, then gaslight people into blaming the media because you refused to answer questions about it.
  • Options
    "They just think they can treat us differently. They have spent billions tunnelling under south east to keep tory mps happy but can't even meet northern representatives like me."
  • Options
    Last 8 greater manchester tory seats gone I reckon.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Sunak will make a load of promises about new transport links in the north . Why would anyone believe this is beyond me .

The new NPR rail needs the HS2 bits.

How does he not understand this?
  • Options

From a PR perspective, I'm trying to think if there's any way they could have handled the HS2 thing better. They couldn't really have announced the policy at the beginning, because the media would have spent the whole conference picking the policy apart.

I'd maybe have considered giving to Hunt to break the bad news in his speech, as he's less popular than the plague anyway. Leave him to swing the axe on HS2, then Rishi hands out the consolation sweeties in his speech.

And rather than being a disloyal grab for leadership (which is probably was), Suella being quite aggressive in her speech can be considered quite an heroic attempt ...

Not by anyone sane.

• Options

The line for over/under Tory seats should probably be 1.5
  • Options
    CatMan said:

If he does that, and does some tiny bit of money saving like halving the budget for the HS2 Christmas Party, he will be slaughtered.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,325

Burnham incadescent.

And who can blame him.

Crossparty agreement for more than a decade up in flames in space of a week thanks to one man and his ego and bollocks spreadsheets.

We await Starmer confiming his end of that cross-party consensus.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/657539020533145600
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,212

nico679 said:

Sunak will make a load of promises about new transport links in the north . Why would anyone believe this is beyond me .

The new NPR rail needs the HS2 bits.

How does he not understand this?
    He doesn’t care because it will be spun by a compliant media as a great boost for the north and enough low information voters will believe it sadly .
  • Options

And rather than being a disloyal grab for leadership (which is probably was), Suella being quite aggressive in her speech can be considered quite an heroic attempt to move the news agenda away from HS2 momentarily for Sunak.

Announce it all at the autumn statement.

It was only done now because Sunak has been told by the teenage scribblers he employs as SPADs that it is a good idea to do all this in Manchester because...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

And rather than being a disloyal grab for leadership (which is probably was), Suella being quite aggressive in her speech can be considered quite an heroic attempt ...

Not by anyone sane.

Why chop 5 or so words from the end of that sentence?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    nico679 said:

It's a bit depressing that all the people who suggested building it from the north down were proven correct.

I note that Crossrail 2 has been "paused" rather than cancelled. And the £1.7 billion tunnel under Stonehenge is going ahead. And the Silverton tunnel.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,212
    Michelle Donelan drowning on Newsnight . The BBC quite brave in calling out the Tory lies . Shame it’s taken so long but it’s a start .
  • Options

Andrew Adonis
    @Andrew_Adonis
    HS2 going to Euston means it will ultimately go to Manchester too, since all London to Mchester, Glasgow & Liverpool trains will now use HS2 & face chronic bottleneck beyond Bham

So this is in reality a hugely expensive & damaging delay to fund election tax cuts. A disgrace
  • Options

It was only done now because Sunak has been told by the teenage scribblers he employs as SPADs that it is a good idea to do all this in Manchester because...
    No, it was done now because a long-lense photograph caught a policy paper in No. 10 that revealed it was going to happen.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449

DavidL said:

CatMan said:

McCarthy about to become the first House speaker in American history to be ejected from the job.

Edit: And it's happened. 216 to 210.

Not even that close.
    Eight Republicans voted with 208 Democrats for motion to vacate Speaker's office. That's why he lost.

Among the absent were Democrats Nancy Pelosi and Mary Peltola.

Why? Pelosi has accompanied the remains of the late Sen. Diane Feinstein back to California for funeral. And Peltola's husband was killed a few days ago, when the small plane he was piloting crashed in Alaska.
    The Washington Post said today that the Democrat House leadership should keep McCarthy in office by abstaining from the vote. Looks like instead they have thrown their lot in with Matt Gaetz and his loons. I'm sure they will feel pleased with themselves. Not sure how it will look to many in the US though.

I agree: I think they should have had a couple of tactical abstentions to allow McCarthy to stay in post.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

It's a bit depressing that all the people who suggested building it from the north down were proven correct.

I note that Crossrail 2 has been "paused" rather than cancelled. And the £1.7 billion tunnel under Stonehenge is going ahead. And the Silverton tunnel.
    North down was the only possibility it would ever be built.

Starmer has an opportunity to reset British politics. Westminster is a crumbling, decrepit fire hazard.

Move Parliament and all Civil Servants out of London. Build a new city, DC/Canberra style in the North as a new capital and leave London for businesses. Sell all London property which will help fund a relocation.

Let the Civil Servants adapt to life outside London. See how quickly attitudes on investment change.
  • Options

The reason for this chaos apparently was revelation in a document carried into Downing Street and seen by the media

Hence is was leaked otherwise it would no doubt have been in the autumn statement

We struggle to get direct trains to London here in North Wales and that would be more important to be fair
  • Options
    Jennifer Williams
    @JenWilliams_FT
    ·
    31m
    Stick me on repeat, I know how annoying I am, but imagine if decisions were made by people who actually did those journeys
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Michelle Donelan drowning on Newsnight . The BBC quite brave in calling out the Tory lies . Shame it’s taken so long but it’s a start .

She’d not really registered with me till know, but fck me, the Tory party has a production line of these numpties.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

Starmer has an opportunity to reset British politics. Westminster is a crumbling, decrepit fire hazard.

Move Parliament and all Civil Servants out of London. Build a new city, DC/Canberra style in the North as a new capital and leave London for businesses. Sell all London property which will help fund a relocation.

Let the Civil Servants adapt to life outside London. See how quickly attitudes on investment change.
    Excellent idea that the London based political elite would be horrified even to consider
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Not by anyone sane.

Why chop 5 or so words from the end of that sentence?
    Now you know how HS2 feels.
    :lol:
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,053

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

Starmer has the opportunity do many things. He will however be paralysed by the controversial choice between still or fizzy water.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

CatMan said:

McCarthy about to become the first House speaker in American history to be ejected from the job.

Not even that close.
    Eight Republicans voted with 208 Democrats for motion to vacate Speaker's office. That's why he lost.

Why? Pelosi has accompanied the remains of the late Sen. Diane Feinstein back to California for funeral. And Peltola's husband was killed a few days ago, when the small plane he was piloting crashed in Alaska.
    The Washington Post said today that the Democrat House leadership should keep McCarthy in office by abstaining from the vote. Looks like instead they have thrown their lot in with Matt Gaetz and his loons. I'm sure they will feel pleased with themselves. Not sure how it will look to many in the US though.

I agree: I think they should have had a couple of tactical abstentions to allow McCarthy to stay in post.
    Why? He pretended that the loser of the 2020 election won. Fuck him.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,757

The reason for this chaos apparently was revelation in a document carried into Downing Street and seen by the media

Hence is was leaked otherwise it would no doubt have been in the autumn statement

We struggle to get direct trains to London here in North Wales and that would be more important to be fair
    HS2, by taking trains off the WCML, would free up more paths for, for example, trains from London to North Wales.
    But if you're still using the WCML north of Birmingham, that can't happen.

I can't say this often enough: HS2 is not about speed, it is about capacity on the rest of the network.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,624
    Just heard the news about McCarthy, (since I was in a cinema watching The Exorcist).

Was there any warning that this might happen?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,772
    edited October 2023
    Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

CatMan said:

Not even that close.

Why? He pretended that the loser of the 2020 election won. Fuck him.
    So do most Republicans in and out of the House. Whoever replaces him almost certainly will do the same - it isn't the crazy wing bringing him down, they're mostly crazy, Gaetz is just noisier and even more focused on promoting himself.

What I don't get on a personal level is what McCarthy really got out of the deal he cut to become Speaker in the first place, since it sure as shit didn't buy him their co-operation.
  • Options

I'd struggle to see where they'd get 1 in the current climate. They won't win Altrincham and Sale West.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HS2, by taking trains off the WCML, would free up more paths for, for example, trains from London to North Wales.

I can't say this often enough: HS2 is not about speed, it is about capacity on the rest of the network.
    But it IS about speed, because the specification of it, built (apparently) for bullet trains going at 300 miles per hour, as well as the new route to incorporate high speed, is why it's rinsing the country and (presumably) starving the rest of the rail network of infrastructure investment.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,562
    edited October 2023

I doubt most of the redwall Gter Manchester seats are bothered either way by HS2, they want inflation down further and better bus routes and local train stations not a quicker journey to London which they rarely go to anyway
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I understand that but that is not the problem

When I was in business I went direct to London by rail many times, but now it is change at Chester or Crewe with the odd direct train

The same trains are running to and from Crewe
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    nico679 said:

Let me introduce you to "Trickle Down Economics"...
  • Options

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

York would be an ideal government capital if there was a move
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I doubt most of the redwall Gter Manchester seats are bothered either way by HS2, they want inflation down further and better bus routes and local train stations not a quicker journey to London which they rarely go to anyway
    My point is it is two fingers to people from Manchester by Sunak. Doesn't matter whether it is HS2 or whatever. It is London elite telling the north that they are happy to spend billions on a high speed line out of london but manchester can go and do one.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I think it's more easily explained using the inverse - HS rail to Inverness would reduce travel times, but add little to capacity as there are few commuter towns north of Perth.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Not any more it isn't.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Cookie said:

I think it's more easily explained using the inverse - HS rail to Inverness would reduce travel times, but add little to capacity as there are few commuter towns north of Perth.
    It would be interesting to construct a high speed rail line from Perth to Inverness
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    HYUFD said:

They know a kick in the teeth when they see one.
    They can spot when a government had pledged £96bn for rail in the North and Midlands - which, divvied up, works out at about £6bn for Greater Manchester - and are now getting palmed off with bus routes. Which are welcome, but amount to rather less than £6bn.

And I CANNOT SAY THIS OFTEN ENOUGH: IT IS NOT ABOUT SPEED. What GM would have got out of it is relief on the local rail network, massive investment in Manchester (and Wigan), and jobs, and growth.
    Better rail stations are no good if you an't actually fit the paths to them. Golborne Station, for example, was on the cards - but needed the Golborne Link (confusingly, Golborne Station would be on the WCML, not the Golborne Link - but paths serving the station were dependent on high speed trains using the Golborne Link instead).

I will, if you want, offer you five pound Sterling at evens that the Conservative Party will win no seats in Greater Manchester next election (barring some unexpected reversal tomorrow and a revelation that this was all a ruse and they'll commit to it after all). Charity bet if you like.

You know me, HYUFD. I'm not one to ring the anti-Tory bell willy-nilly. But I also know Greater Manchester. This will go down very very badly.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

They can spot when a government had pledged £96bn for rail in the North and Midlands - which, divvied up, works out at about £6bn for Greater Manchester - and are now getting palmed off with bus routes. Which are welcome, but amount to rather less than £6bn.

And I CANNOT SAY THIS OFTEN ENOUGH: IT IS NOT ABOUT SPEED. What GM would have got out of it is relief on the local rail network, massive investment in Manchester (and Wigan), and jobs, and growth.
    Better rail stations are no good if you an't actually fit the paths to them. Golborne Station, for example, was on the cards - but needed the Golborne Link (confusingly, Golborne Station would be on the WCML, not the Golborne Link - but paths serving the station were dependent on high speed trains using the Golborne Link instead).
    This. 100x this.

Sunak is not over the details. He has spent a couple of late nights crunching a few overall numbers and decided he knows the answer.

• Options
    I think HS2 will eventually be built from B'ham to Manchester. It's just a question of when.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

As a matter of interest if the line to Manchester went ahead when would the high speed trains actually be running on it ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

It would be a pretty odd choice. It's a smallish city, less than 200,000 people. How many MPs, civil servants, and associated support people would need to arrive? There are three thousand people who work in and supporting parliament alone. You're probably talking about tens of thousands of extra homes and offices needed. York would be swamped. Do you ever think anything through?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I'd struggle to see where they'd get 1 in the current climate. They won't win Altrincham and Sale West.
    I thought that was the one they might actually hold of the eight. But I believe it is your patch.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

I will, if you want, off you five pound Sterling at evens that the Conservative Party will win no seats in Greater Manchester next election (barring some unexpected reversal tomorrow and a revelation that this was all a ruse and they'll commit to it after all). Charity bet if you like.

You know me, HYUFD. I'm not one to ring the anti-Tory bell willy-nilly. But I also know Greater Manchester. This will go down very very badly.
    More voters in the redwall, especially older Tory voters, will use the bus than the train and will welcome better bus routes.

If they lose these seats it won't have anything to do with HS2, they were going to lose them anyway
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,925
    Cookie said:

Bolton West with a bit of swing back - Bolton has the most Uxbridgy GM seats.

The hope of holding Cheadle or Hazel Grove if LD and Lab split the vote.

But out of their 8 nominal defences they don't look near to being favourites anywhere.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

My point is it is two fingers to people from Manchester by Sunak. Doesn't matter whether it is HS2 or whatever. It is London elite telling the north that they are happy to spend billions on a high speed line out of london but manchester can go and do one.
    The Tories have a seat in Birmingham, the Tories have 0 seats in Manchester
  • Options

This story that the chaos was caused by that picture is bollx.

Straight after it came out they could have said 'yeh, we are doing another review, look at the costs etc, we will get back to people in a couple of months'

End of.

The speculation has been fed by Sunak's team for a purpose only known to them.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think HS2 will eventually be built from B'ham to Manchester. It's just a question of when.

I expect Sunak will invest heavily in east-west rail links plus other infrastructure and at some later date when and if our economy has recovered then it may well be reviewed

However, this is a moment for Starmer to decide if he will commit to it and how to pay for it

After tomorrow the spotlight shifts onto Starmer and their conference
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

If they do invest in bus services/trams instead, I would bet you that they don't attain critical mass and the services are withdrawn after 5 years.

Public transport needs to be every 10 minutes, available across the whole urban area, tap tap cap, and with as few changes as possible, if any.

That means a large initial investment and comprehensive network implemented by an arms length local government owned company, not the piecemeal private approach we see too often.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

I will, if you want, offer you five pound Sterling at evens that the Conservative Party will win no seats in Greater Manchester next election (barring some unexpected reversal tomorrow and a revelation that this was all a ruse and they'll commit to it after all). Charity bet if you like.

I'm confused. You haven't mentioned what the benefits to London are?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

It would be a pretty odd choice. It's a smallish city, less than 200,000 people. How many MPs, civil servants, and associated support people would need to arrive? There are three thousand people who work in and supporting parliament alone. You're probably talking about tens of thousands of extra homes and offices needed. York would be swamped. Do you ever think anything through?
    Canberra's population is not that much bigger than Yorks and it is capital of Australia
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Yep.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's the suburbs that are important. The red wall.

People aren't stupid - they can see their public transport network failing to provide local services, clogged up by inter-city trains.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

If they do invest in bus services/trams instead, I would bet you that they don't attain critical mass and the services are withdrawn after 5 years.

Public transport needs to be every 10 minutes, available across the whole urban area, tap tap cap, and with as few changes as possible, if any.

That means a large initial investment and comprehensive implemented by an arms length local government owned company, not the piecemeal private approach we see too often.
    They will be underfunded for five years. Then further underfunded for another 10. Then privatised with a huge taxpayer bung. Then subsidised for 5 years to pay shareholders dividends.

*Then* withdrawn.
  • Options
    I won't shed any tears if this government suffers a major defeat at the next election because of the total mess they've made of high speed rail. Trying to "save money" at every juncture isn't the way to do it. You either do it properly or don't do it at all.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I expect Sunak will invest heavily in east-west rail links plus other infrastructure and at some later date when and if our economy has recovered then it may well be reviewed

However, this is a moment for Starmer to decide if he will commit to it and how to pay for it

After tomorrow the spotlight shifts onto Starmer and their conference
    Thank God.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,344
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

Canberra's population is not that much bigger than Yorks and it is capital of Australia
    Have you been to York recently? In the summer it's rammed with tourists. It's a nice city but not really up to hosting parliament. Leeds would be a better choice.

Or put it on a brownfield site near the NEC. Good connections south (shame about the rail to the north, mind).
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,583

Andy_JS said:

Yep.
    Probably but it's a real shame that it will take even longer to deliver and cost more. Still at least Sunak will be able to promise to cut inheritance tax, and keep the triple lock, or some other nonproductive use of the money "saved".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

Australia's parliament is less than half the size and Canberra was built specially to be a capital. It's not an ancient city with crowded lanes and a literal city wall. You'd be trying to build huge quantities of office and housing space in a city that's a world heritage site in all but name. It's a crazy idea.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Do you mean Northfield?? LOL. That is so gone at the next GE.
  • Options

This story that the chaos was caused by that picture is bollx.

Straight after it came out they could have said 'yeh, we are doing another review, look at the costs etc, we will get back to people in a couple of months'

End of.

The speculation has been fed by Sunak's team for a purpose only known to them.
    They want to use the money 'saved' to fund tax cuts in the Autumn statement, would be my guess.
  • Options

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

This. 100x this.

Sunak is not over the details. He has spent a couple of late nights crunching a few overall numbers and decided he knows the answer.

He's seen the sixth tab in Excel marked 'Dashboard'. I always have that feeling when I listen to him.
  • Options
    Just watched Partygate on C4.

Worth a watch 'lest we forget'.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I won't shed any tears if this government suffers a major defeat at the next election because of the total mess they've made of high speed rail. Trying to "save money" at every juncture isn't the way to do it. You either do it properly or don't do it at all.

Or they could try managing it properly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

I will, if you want, off you five pound Sterling at evens that the Conservative Party will win no seats in Greater Manchester next election (barring some unexpected reversal tomorrow and a revelation that this was all a ruse and they'll commit to it after all). Charity bet if you like.

More voters in the redwall, especially older Tory voters, will use the bus than the train and will welcome better bus routes.

If they lose these seats it won't have anything to do with HS2, they were going to lose them anyway
    Yes, I grant you, voters like buses. But they also like investment coming to their region.

From the 2013 Strategic Case for HS2:

"There has been much debate about the scale of the potential economic benefits of HS2 and their distribution between north and south. With advice from an independent panel of experts, HS2 Ltd commissioned KPMG to consider the potential impacts of HS2 on the economy at a city and city region level. The results of the analysis suggest that HS2 could increase economic output by £15bn per year. Even with more cautious assumptions the annual benefit could be £8bn. In addition the analysis shows that, while all regions benefit, the city regions in the Midlands and the North do particularly well.
    ...additional commercial development brought forward as a result of HS2 in areas immediately surrounding HS2 stations could support up to 100,000 jobs. The Core Cities Group – representing eight of the largest city economies outside London – puts that figure at 400,000.
    ...HS2 could provide a boost to the Birmingham city region equivalent to between 2.1% and 4.2% of its GDP. For the Manchester city region the figure is 0.8%-1.7%, for the Leeds city region 1.6% and for Greater London 0.5%. "

Even if you never go to London, HS2 would be transformational for Greater Manchester.

And I can't see us getting £6bn to spend on buses in recompense.

I'll offer an alternative bet if you like: the swing against the Conservative Party in Greater Manchester will exceed UNS. This takes 'would have lost anyway' out of the equation. My hypothesis is that voters in Greater Manchester will give the Tories more of a kicking than most. If you really want, we can strip the five Manchester seats out of the equation if you think them not red wall enough.
  • Options
    It seems the first trains would run Manchester to Euston in 2041 under the original plan

Allowing for delays it would have been 20 years or more before the service ran
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

I'm not sure that preplanned government cities are a great idea: they tend to be soulless places, with little real industry.
  • Options

I stopped watching as it was making me too angry.
  • Options

It seems the first trains would run Manchester to Euston in 2041 under the original plan

Lest we forget:
    Long-term decisions for a brighter future
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,925
    Pro_Rata said:

Cookie said:

But out of their 8 nominal defences they don't look near to being favourites anywhere.
    It's really, really, really easy to envisage the Tories being wiped out totally in their 22 Metro defences between the Dee and Don.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,583
    Andy_JS said:

Exactly. Put aside the rights and wrongs, and even the costs. Our inability in the UK to decide to do something, even something useless, and then deliver it, is exasperating.

We can't build a high speed railway.
    We can't build a new airport runway at one of the busiest airports in the world.
    We can't build new motorways.
    We can't build power stations without roping in other countries.
    We can't build working warships.
    We can't even manage to build ordinary hospitals at a reasonable pace.

How the hell the industrial revolution took place here and now we can't do diddly-squat is beyond me.
  • Options

Yes Mrs P was seething at the end of it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Personally, I think Sunak made a simple mistake. When he heard HS2 was about "trains", he thought it was "trans". Speeding up trans via HS2, was something that worried him greatly, as it gets you perilously close to self ID.

Hence his decision to oppose trans in the Red Wall, where they are socially conservative; but remain more supportive of trans in the South, where the socially liberal LibDems are the opposition.

Makes about as much sense as MY pet theory.

Which is, HMG is reimagining the concept of The North, so that it now commences at Lutton.

Personally am hoping that Sunak gets "sucked in" (so to speak) by the Trans-British Pneumatic Tube.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Lest we forget:
    He's spending the saved money on light bulbs?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Cookie said:

It's really, really, really easy to envisage the Tories being wiped out totally in their 22 Metro defences between the Dee and Don.
    I'm still hoping your sentence can be stopped after 'totally'.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Lest we forget:
    I am interested in just how Sunak explains this tomorrow

Apparently it is a longer speech than normal according to Rigby of 40 minutes or so commencing about 11.30am

It will then be no longer speculation but it will create a lot of debate
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No seats in the City of Manchester, but, what, nine in Greater Manchester? Many won on the premise of Levelling Up. "Sorry Greater Manchester, we spent all our money on transport schemes in the south so can't afford to give you the £6bn we promised. But we'll repair some potholes and give you a new bus".
    Not likely to go down well.

Surely, surely you can see how badly this is going down?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,958
    edited October 2023

Yes- these things take time. Political wrangling has already delayed the project. And thanks to the Prime Minister, it will take even longer and cost even more. (The reasons it needs to happen, including getting better capacity through Manchester for East-West links, aren't going away.)

And if Rishi is to be believed, the problem isn't about not being able to afford it, it's about his wanting to spend the money on other things.

I hope this isn't going to turn into another example of chucking a nice bit of furniture on the bonfire to get some temporary joy. But given that that has been the ongoing policy of the government for years, I'm not optimistic.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,609
    edited October 2023

Sensible decision for your peace of mind
  • Options

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

Westminster is a fire hazard and you see it as a problem.

Other may see it as an opportunity.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

I'm not sure that preplanned government cities are a great idea: they tend to be soulless places, with little real industry.
    Then find a pre-existing city which is well-connected, could do with some investment and has a lot of brownfield land. Stoke, say.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835
    edited October 2023
    Rishi Sunak will vow to end 30 years of the status quo in politics as he tries to position himself as the change candidate for the next general election.

In his first speech to the Conservative Party conference as leader, Mr Sunak will seek to paint Sir Keir Starmer, the Labour leader, as the continuity choice for voters.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/10/03/rishi-sunak-tory-conference-speech-change-candidate/

https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

Then find a pre-existing city which is well-connected, could do with some investment and has a lot of brownfield land. Stoke, say.
    This is just one of those 'never gonna happen' ideas. The closest thing to it would be that someone creates an English Parliament which is based elsewhere, so some Government departments' staff move with it.
This discussion has been closed.