Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will Sunak’s driving measures be been as a positive? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited October 2023 in General
imageWill Sunak’s driving measures be been as a positive? – politicalbetting.com

I’m looking forward to seeing the polling on Sunak’s driving changes and I won’t come to a firm view until I do. Maybe this will resonate and the PM will get a boost. Maybe it won’t

Read the full story here

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    First!
  • Hopefully Europe first tomorrow!
  • I wouldn't judge anything by discussions on social media.

• It's a rearguard action.

The Conservatives are no longer about winning the next election, they're about saving as many of their MPs' jobs as they can. This kind of policy is all about firming up the base... it's not going to win more than a handful of votes back from Labour.

Why anyone would want to stick around in the Conservative party for the brutal recriminations that will inevitably consume it after the next election, I couldn't tell you.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,082
    edited September 2023
    Rishi might get better press coverage, for instance:-

THE SUN SAYS Well done to the Prime Minister for declaring an end to the war on drivers
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/24211878/well-done-rishi-sunak-end-war-drivers-sun-says/
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631
    edited September 2023

It's a rearguard action.

The Conservatives are no longer about winning the next election, they're about saving as many of their MPs' jobs as they can. This kind of policy is all about firming up the base... it's not going to win more than a handful of votes back from Labour.

Why anyone would want to stick around in the Conservative party for the brutal recriminations that will inevitably consume it after the next election, I couldn't tell you.

There are a lot of “undecided” 2019 Tory voters. I think some of these policies are silly, but they are rational. If the polling can be anywhere near 40/33 or 40/34 going into the election, it’ll be awfully tight.

A Blair 05 result would look rather different on today’s boundaries.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,606
    if I were Sunak I'd avoid motoring related policies. Everything he does ends up as a car crash and he doesn't want that to be literal.
  • Rishi's wife is actually in the UK!
  • The sun and Daily Mail will love it, so yes he must be wrong
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,902

THE SUN SAYS Well done to the Prime Minister for declaring an end to the war on drivers
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/24211878/well-done-rishi-sunak-end-war-drivers-sun-says/

The Sun would be supporting Sunak even if he started a euthanasia plan to cut down on the cost of the triple lock pension .
  • ydoethur said:

if I were Sunak I'd avoid motoring related policies. Everything he does ends up as a car crash and he doesn't want that to be literal.

But he can't risk another U-turn.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

I think I’m right in saying that road casualties now are much lower, when allowing for the population and number of vehicles on the roads, than Once Upon A Time.
    If anyone’s got the figures I’d be interested.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,355

I think I’m right in saying that road casualties now are much lower, when allowing for the population and number of vehicles on the roads, than Once Upon A Time.
    The figures have been going down nearly all the time since cars were first driven.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @EmmaBurnell_

The Tories aren’t really speaking to everyone who drives a car. They’re speaking to people who buy driving gloves.
    edited September 2023
    nico679 said:

The Sun would be supporting Sunak even if he started a euthanasia plan to cut down on the cost of the triple lock pension .
    Come the election, the one to watch will be the Times. I can see them going Labour, partly because the editor wants to, but also to split the Murdoch bet.
    @SamCoatesSky

EXC: Grassroots conservative supporters saying they want to oust Rishi Sunak and "go to war" with the liberal wing of the party

In leaked WhatsApps obtained by Sky News

https://x.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1708164012586737754?s=20
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,194
    Forbes, “By Railing Against 15-Minute Cities Rishi Sunak Aligns U.K. Government With Conspiracy Theory Believers”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2023/09/30/by-railing-against-15-minute-cities-rishi-sunak-aligns-uk-government-with-conspiracy-theory-believers/

Forbes, “By Railing Against 15-Minute Cities Rishi Sunak Aligns U.K. Government With Conspiracy Theory Believers”

@__BP__

Somehow it's now official Government policy to stop my Council making sure I have a GP, dentist and shop too close to my home.
  • Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

nova said:

AlsoLei said:

darkage said:

About 6 months ago I was having arguments with 'professionals' who sought to characterise all opposition to 15 minute neighbourhoods as 'conspiracy theorists' peddeling 'misinformation'. They tried to do the familiar thing where they characterise anyone they disagree with as being abusive with the idea that they should be shut down on the basis of hate speech. In this context it is quite interesting to now see opposition to 15 minute neighbourhoods as forming government policy. Some people just cannot come to terms with democracy.

Er. As I understand it, a 15 minute city is one in which there's a GP surgery, a bus stop, a supermarket, and a pub or cafe within about 15 minutes walk - like a traditional British city. And not building American-style super suburbs without any element of commercial or retail mixed in.

So... why would that be subject to conspiracy theories?

Have I missed something obvious here?

ETA: Oh, obviously I have - the BBC are reporting that Dogshit Rishi is going to 'Stop councils implementing "15-minute cities", where essential amenities are always within a 15-minute walk'. WTF?
    The conspiracy is a pretty much Covid grifters looking for a new angle.

Some of the 15 minute City plans involve restrictions on where you can drive. I think Oxford had it that you could drive through the centre of town a couple of hundred times a year, but after that you'd be fined. They wanted people going from one outer zone to another to use ring roads and avoid the centre to cut down congestion.

The conspiracy is that this is a precursor to a "stay in your zone" plan. If we have everything within 15 minutes, they will then stop anyone leaving the zone at all, so the state knows where we are at all times.

It's obviously bollocks, but so many people are down the rabbit hole already, that it's taken a real hold in the post-covid conspiracy theory community.

It's embarrassing that the PM is latching onto it, as it's clearly a dog whistle for conspiracy theorists.
    I think you are describing an LTN, not a 15-minute neighbourhood.

For example, modern housing developments are always LTNs, but very much NOT 15-minute neighbourhoods because the developers never invest in local GPs, dentists, pubs, schools, corner shops...
    IMO that's not true.

Just looking at one of our smallish local developments which has got PP recently:

"... more than £850,000 in developer contributions – including £481,114 for primary school places – will be provided to shore up local services"
    “Countryside Properties will be making contributions towards primary school education, open space, healthcare, libraries and improvements to footpaths.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/110-new-homes-built-sutton-5688170

Interesting from Zadrozny, in a huff:
    Cllr Zadrozny, the leader of the council, said: “I can promise in future that developers won’t get a greased sausage through my planning committee without building a better relationship [with the council].
    Developers are famous for promising that there will be facilities, bit not so good about actually ensuring they exist. In fact, one might go as far as saying that they indulge in the time-honoured technique of "fibbing"
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

We have a chronic housing shortage, developers should be building houses.

Healthcare, education etc should be coming from taxes, not developments.

Insisting on perfection is just an excuse for NIMBYs. Houses should be built one house at a time, or as many houses are needed. If schools are built, then build them as needed and so on.
    Okay, so how many houses would you allow to be built before reluctantly conceding that a surgery should be opened? 499? And that's only the start of construction. Think how long it takes to do that and to staff a GPs.

What part of surgeries should come from healthcare budget/taxes and not from building houses was complicated to understand?

People need somewhere to live. People also need surgeries. A shortage of one should not cause a shortage of another and vice-versa.

The solution is to build both, and not let either stand in the way of the other. If people need a surgery, build a bloody surgery, its not rocket science. But people need houses whether the surgery is there or not, its people that matter and people need all their demands met. Forcing them to live in overcrowded homes doesn't reduce demand on surgeries or anything else.
    @jamesrbuk

Another term for a “15-minute city” is a village: a small collection of housing with essential/desirable amenities (pub, shop, GP) nearby.

Government policy seems to be that villages are woke now.

ydoethur said:

Putting an emergency stop on the fuckwittery of Suella Braverman would be more useful.
  • Scott_xP said:

@__BP__

Somehow it's now official Government policy to stop my Council making sure I have a GP, dentist and shop too close to my home.
    Depends what that means.

If that means that houses can be built where they couldn't before, that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

If population grows then build GP/dentist/whatever afterwards if need be. But standing in the way of development so people have to live in overcrowded slums because nothing else is available isn't "progressive".
  • On topic: QTWAIN.

Sunak isn't doing diddly squat for drivers.

What new roads is he building? What taxes is he addressing?

Simply not being actively hostile doesn't make you positive.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    biggles said:

It's a rearguard action.

There are a lot of “undecided” 2019 Tory voters. I think some of these policies are silly, but they are rational. If the polling can be anywhere near 40/33 or 40/34 going into the election, it’ll be awfully tight.

Sure, it’s like Michael Howard in 2005. He knew he wasn’t going to win, but he wanted to firm up the Conservative vote.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited September 2023
    nico679 said:

By Sunak flying the winter fuel payment curtailment kite, you have a point. Euthanised by hypothermia?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,561
    It’s the cones hotline redux. Doesn’t bode well for the Tories.
  • Scott_xP said:

We really do need to all vote Conservative at the next election to replace this bunch of Conservatives doing the bidding of the Labour party for personal financial gain.....
    Scott_xP said:

So, these are just some random party members? I don’t see the importance.
  • I am coming to the conclusion that twenty is indeed plenty. Thirty or more u-turns and political gaffes from the government each month is just getting very silly, even their own supporters are against them.

Scott_xP said:

@__BP__

Depends what that means.

If that means that houses can be built where they couldn't before, that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

If population grows then build GP/dentist/whatever afterwards if need be. But standing in the way of development so people have to live in overcrowded slums because nothing else is available isn't "progressive".
    I’m pretty sure Sunak doesn’t mean he’ll build more houses. What he means is stopping local councils from introducing traffic plans.
  • Scott_xP said:

I think the importance is that this is probably representative of the people who will elect the next Tory leader.
    Pretty much confirms the Tories are going to be an absolute shambles after the election and that Starmer gets a second term by default.
  • Scott_xP said:

@__BP__

Depends what that means.

I’m pretty sure Sunak doesn’t mean he’ll build more houses. What he means is stopping local councils from introducing traffic plans.
    He probably just means he doesn't want to talk about his failure on the economy, hospitals, immigration and law & order, amongst others. At least if he concentrates on local matters he can blame the councils, many of which are Labour.
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The Angry Bear seems to have sabotaged Vote 2012 for the last hour or two
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    @AlsoLei: there's a reply to your question on the previous thread

Scott_xP said:

I think the importance is that this is probably representative of the people who will elect the next Tory leader.
    Pretty much confirms the Tories are going to be an absolute shambles after the election and that Starmer gets a second term by default.
    After the party picked Johnson and then Truss, did we need more confirmation? I’ve just finished LK’s State of Chaos if anyone needs a 3-hour PPB on behalf of anyone other than the Tories.
  • Sean_F said:

biggles said:

It's a rearguard action.

Sure, it’s like Michael Howard in 2005. He knew he wasn’t going to win, but he wanted to firm up the Conservative vote.
    Indeed, but it looks like we'll still all have to suffer @Scott_xP's #FBPE Twitter feed on it regardless for the next 14 months.
  • IanB2 said:

It’s the cones hotline redux. Doesn’t bode well for the Tories.

His strategy is rational given the strategic position the Tories find themselves in.

30% of the vote and 180 seats is better than <20% of the vote and no seats.

To get from the <20% to the 30% he's going to say, loudly, some stuff that really boils your piss.
    @cazjwheeler

BREAKING: Jeremy Hunt has been caught in a secret recording during a private meeting with Tory activists suggesting that Sunak will call a general election once inflation has fallen below three per cent - giving the strongest hint yet that a poll will be held next autumn.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Scott_xP said:

@cazjwheeler

BREAKING: Jeremy Hunt has been caught in a secret recording during a private meeting with Tory activists suggesting that Sunak will call a general election once inflation has fallen below three per cent - giving the strongest hint yet that a poll will be held next autumn.

So we’ve still got a year of this shite from Sunak. And it won’t make a blind bit of difference
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Scott_xP said:

@SamCoatesSky

EXC: Grassroots conservative supporters saying they want to oust Rishi Sunak and "go to war" with the liberal wing of the party

This is starting to feel like the disintegration of the Labour Party in the early 1980s. It was 15 years before they were in power again.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,598
    Scott_xP said:

@cazjwheeler

Will they have resolved the strikes by then ?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,603
    edited September 2023
    Scott_xP said:

@cazjwheeler

Could be a psyop to encourage the unions to back low pay rises. :)
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    God only knows what the 30 mph speed limit was about over the Ouse today. Yes it was a roadwork section but those are normally 50 on the motorways
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Plenty of figures around, OKC. The one that sticks in my mind is the 8,000 or so fatalities in 1966 which is the year I took my test.

It's now down to about 1,500 per annum.

These facts are not necessarily connected.
    Thanks Mr P. Lot more cars (etc) now than in 1966, too. So the ‘war on the motorist’ has in fact meant that people who would once upon a time have been dead are now alive!
    A point about GP surgeries; GP’s don’t like working alone, generally speaking. They prefer group practices which, when substantial new developments are built, means existing practices and practice premises need extending.
    That also includes extending existing car parking facilities.
  • ajbajb Posts: 141
    I think it's not just the base. There are a few categories where it's helpful for the tories, but the one where they gain by this is tradesmen ("White Van Man"), - your stereotypical Brexit voter in 2019, who may now be wavering.

Various parking and calming measures are directly painful for these guys, as they are either a time suck which directly reduces the amount of time on paid work (20mph, toodling round an LCN , a ballache (getting clients to give you parking permits) or a direct cost. Council's haven't been great at making exceptions for them, even though they provide essential services(you're not going to put off having your roof fixed to reduce traffic).
    Latest Opinium.

Tories cut lead by 5 points ! The country has lost its mind.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    JohnLoony said:

The Angry Bear seems to have sabotaged Vote 2012 for the last hour or two

@JohnLoony , welcome back: long time no see. :)

Just one question: what the fuck are you talking about?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited September 2023
    Pulpstar said:

God only knows what the 30 mph speed limit was about over the Ouse today. Yes it was a roadwork section but those are normally 50 on the motorways

Been 30mph there for ages.

They are repairing the concrete deck on the inside lanes - might be a risk of something bad happening if someone crashed at the wrong point.

I don't know quite what has gone wrong but you have to suspect that a new bridge will be required at some point soon.

• ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

@cazjwheeler

BREAKING: Jeremy Hunt has been caught in a secret recording during a private meeting with Tory activists suggesting that Sunak will call a general election once inflation has fallen below three per cent

Fucking hell.

He's planning to abandon elections altogether?
    More chance Watford getting promotion this season than inflation going below 3%
  • nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

🚨Latest Opinium @ObserverUK poll:
    Labour lead down by 5 points to 10%.
    • Labour: 39% (-2)
    • Conservative: 29% (+3)
    • Liberal Democrat: 12% (+1)
    • SNP: 3% (nc)
    • Plaid Cymru: 1% (nc)
    • Green: 7% (nc)
    • Reform UK: 7% (-1)
    • Other: 2% (nc)

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1708195018249261545
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

Who on here was betting on a sub 10% lead before Xmas?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,064
    nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Latest Opinium
    @ObserverUK
    poll:
    • Plaid Cymru: 1% 1545?

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1708195018249261545?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
  • nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

29%! The fightback starts here!!!
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,953

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

Oh!
    edited September 2023
    viewcode said:

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

Who on here was betting on a sub 10% lead before Xmas?
    I did say a few weeks back that I’d expect to see a single digit lead . So blowing my own trumpet ! But thought in all honesty that had passed after recent polls . I suppose Opinium would always be the most likely given their methodology.

• boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Or, controversially, there are people who have the vote who see things differently from you. I know! They must be thick or racist or something. The sooner we stop people voting who have different priorities or views the better.

Your post is why the Tories or the right win, because you don’t get that there are large parts of the electorate who want things that you don’t so you attack them as losing their minds instead of questioning whether their opinions should actually be factored in. Same mistake with Brexit. But a winning strategy to demonise the opposition voters.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,758

Like the whole campaign hasn’t been planned and choreographed with the gutter press editorial teams.
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Or, controversially, there are people who have the vote who see things differently from you. I know! They must be thick or racist or something. The sooner we stop people voting who have different priorities or views the better.

Your post is why the Tories or the right win, because you don’t get that there are large parts of the electorate who want things that you don’t so you attack them as losing their minds instead of questioning whether their opinions should actually be factored in. Same mistake with Brexit. But a winning strategy to demonise the opposition voters.
    I’m allowed to have an opinion ! I think the country has lost its mind and clearly there’s a pandemic of idiocy. No I’m not calling them racist. I’ll just settle for thick .
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Almost striking distance
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,758

On topic: QTWAIN.

Sunak isn't doing diddly squat for drivers.

What new roads is he building? What taxes is he addressing?

Simply not being actively hostile doesn't make you positive.

Absolutely it’s just performance art for the Pavlovian right.

Nothing will actually be done to improve our roads.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,022
    I have a soft spot for Romania. Do any other pbers of a certain age remember when they were good - very much the 6th team of Europe? ISTR they beat Wales in Cardiff in the 80s. Admittedly it was because that loathsome murderer Nicolae Ceaucescu liked rugby, and as a communist country, rugby was essentially professional there (if you were good at rugby you would be employed by the army where your role was largely to play rugby). But still, I lament their fall from the ranks of the nearly-rans. Also their 2003 RWC kit was my favoirite ever and I wish I had one.
    Purely based on this sentiment, I have backed them to lose by less than 58.5.
    (I am sufficiently confident of a Scotland victory that I feel I can do this without feeling any sort of ancestral disloyalty.)
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

Surprised to see that still gives a Labour a 62 seat majority under Electoral Calculus.
  • nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

29%! The fightback starts here!!!
    CON new GE favourites?

Lots of LAB getting nervous now 😈
    algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Latest Opinium
    @ObserverUK
    poll:

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1708195018249261545?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
    Opinium's methodology is dodgy. Apply swingback and it's not a snapshot. Still the trend is with the Tories although they have had wall to wall coverage over the last fortnight.

Pressure off Sunak?

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

Surprised to see that still gives a Labour a 62 seat majority under Electoral Calculus.
    I think sub 40 might cause some concerns for Labour . If Labour want to self-soothe the We Think poll conducted 28/29 has them 20 points clear .
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

CatMan said:

Serbs are building up troops along the Kosovo border.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/29/kosovo-serbian-troops-buildup-us-uk

Just give the Serb majority areas back to Serbia. It's not rocket science.
    And India give its Muslim majority areas to Pakistan? I think that might just lead to a lot more science about rockets...
    Isn’t this what the “realists” are arguing for with respect to Ukraine? Just give up all the bits that they (the realists) say should be Russian.

Fact on the ground…
    Y axis starts at zero :)

FPT: Does anyone have the numbers for people killed in Palestine vs Ukraine by occupiers? Suspect the difference will be starker than areas occupied.

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Latest Opinium
    @ObserverUK
    poll:

Opinium's methodology is dodgy. Apply swingback and it's not a snapshot. Still the trend is with the Tories although they have had wall to wall coverage over the last fortnight.

Pressure off Sunak?
    The Braverman Bounce !

Next time no 10 will send her out to say the boats will be torpedoed and they’ll live stream refugees drowning whilst the stain on humanity does cartwheels overcome with the excitement!

That might even get them even closer to Labour !
    I can see we are now at the point in the cycle where Tory obituaries get written. Spoiler: they will be back.

We wrote off Labour in ‘92. We wrote off the Tories in ‘01 (lots of take-offs of the “strange death of Liberal England”). We wrote off the Tories ever actually winning another majority in ‘10. We wrote off Labour in ‘15 and again in ‘19.

It never happens. The death of the Liberals was a unique moment in time, in and around the growth of Labour.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,741
    nico679 said:

Well it does make fiscal sense...
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Putting an emergency stop on the fuckwittery of Suella Braverman would be more useful.
    Rwanda ambassador: Suella Braverman ‘absolutely wrong’ on immigration
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/30/rwanda-ambassador-suella-braverman-absolutely-wrong-on-immigration

If Tory SpAds are reading, can I offer up my London Underground passenger policy?

All the decent sorts, we know who we are, get a pistol with a single round. If we use it reasonably, then we get issues with another round.
    Lovely bit of metaphor mixing by the commentator there - the Scotland player going "like a bull out of a gun".
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

Oh!
    Note reform on 7% too
    nico679 said:

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Latest Opinium
    @ObserverUK
    poll:

Pressure off Sunak?
    The Braverman Bounce !

Next time no 10 will send her out to say the boats will be torpedoed and they’ll live stream refugees drowning whilst the stain on humanity does cartwheels overcome with the excitement!

That might even get them even closer to Labour !
    The media analysis hasn't been as critical as it should have been.

Remember Peter Griffiths won the Smethwick by election in 1964 on the most outrageous slogan. Braverman's prospectus was barely a notch down from Griffith's campaign. It will work, but the question is, "to what extent?".
  • nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

In 2005, Labour got a majority of 66 (and a 150 seat lead over the Conservatives) on a three point
    lead.

Magic consequence of FPTP- in a mysterious way, it does factor in the "United right/Divided left" effect.

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited September 2023
    ajb said:

I think it's not just the base. There are a few categories where it's helpful for the tories, but the one where they gain by this is tradesmen ("White Van Man"), - your stereotypical Brexit voter in 2019, who may now be wavering.

Various parking and calming measures are directly painful for these guys, as they are either a time suck which directly reduces the amount of time on paid work (20mph, toodling round an LCN , a ballache (getting clients to give you parking permits) or a direct cost. Council's haven't been great at making exceptions for them, even though they provide essential services(you're not going to put off having your roof fixed to reduce traffic).

I don't think exceptions should be made for white van man. Let him put his prices up slightly if necessary, and adjust his business model a little for the more civilised society we are building.

We already know that added journey time is not very much.

One of the issues with current attempts at LTNs is that Councils make them massively over complicated. and end up with questions around criminal damage and being tricked into an infinite boondoggle. Keeping it simple and overwhelmingly physical restrictions rather than hi-tech is far superior imo.

We have been retrofitting LTNs (ie modal filtering) for well over half a century, and they work fine. We have the robust data that road collisisons plummet as dangerous rat-runners are sent back out of residential areas. We also know that they generally receive local support once installed.

If minor tweaks are needed, then we can do minor tweaks, which is how the ETRO process is designed.

In Chiswick it is becoming funny - the various anti-improvement campaigners are still digging their holes for Australia, despite all their claims turning out to be BS.

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Latest Opinium
    @ObserverUK
    poll:

Pressure off Sunak?
    See it like 12 months out from the 2010 GE. Here and there, were polls for Labour that were slightly encouraging, amidst the mass of bad polling. Slowly, the lead narrowed.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    What a match! Amazing ending, officiating was definitely a bit dodgy for the offside, was a goal for sure, the reds were deserved though.
    edited September 2023
    MaxPB said:

What a match! Amazing ending, officiating was definitely a bit dodgy for the offside, was a goal for sure, the reds were deserved though.

Were they bollocks. The first was not a red to any neutral eye. The second included one non-yellow card, but was just about forgivable because that happens and the second yellow was fair.

And I don’t like Liverpool and their fans.
    House GOP stunner: Spending patch passes with mostly Dem votes
    https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/09/30/congress/stopgap-passes-00119280
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Rwanda ambassador: Suella Braverman ‘absolutely wrong’
    If he'd left it there, would anyone have disputed it?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,007
    edited September 2023
    Good evening

I note another poll has indicated a possible conservative revival but frankly I am not convinced but time will tell

However, I would like to pose a question to those who own, lease or are thinking of buying an EV if they aware sales are falling and in view of the shocking increase in insurance premiums, as per this Guardian piece, it must worry many that an EV is becoming a rich man's vehicle or a fleet vehicle, as few could afford these costs, especially with the cost of living crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/sep/30/the-quotes-were-5000-or-more-electric-vehicle-owners-face-soaring-insurance-costs
    UK government keeping files on education critics’ social media activity
    An Observer investigation finds DfE tried to cancel conference with ‘unsuitable’ speakers – and experts who criticised state education policy had online posts monitored
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/30/revealed-uk-government-keeping-files-on-education-critics-social-media-activity
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    biggles said:

MaxPB said:

Were they bollocks. The first was not a red to any neutral eye. The second included one non-yellow card, but was just about forgivable because that happens and the second yellow was fair.

Plus this...

Oh dear. PGMOL statement: "PGMOL acknowledge a significant human error occurred during the first half of Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool. The goal by Luiz Diaz was disallowed for offside by the on-field team of match officials. This was a clear and obvious factual error...1/2
    https://x.com/philmcnulty/status/1708199597888139556?t=RCGNTdlsXo7rMJd1-wHpnA&s=08

Everyone could see it was inside except VAR. They didn't even bother drawing lines. How is it possible to make that kind of mistake?

Good evening

I note another poll has indicated a possible conservative revival but frankly I am not convinced but time will tell

However, I would like to pose a question to those who own, lease or are thinking of buying an EV if they aware sales are falling and in view of the shocking increase in insurance premiums, as per this Guardian piece, it must worry many that an EV is becoming a rich man's vehicle or a fleet vehicle, as few could afford these costs, especially with the cost of living crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/sep/30/the-quotes-were-5000-or-more-electric-vehicle-owners-face-soaring-insurance-costs

Speaking as someone who resolutely refuses to use vehicle finance, and is distrustful of second hand batteries, I wasn’t expecting to buy a second hand until 2035 or so anyway, when they are all there is in the newish second hand market.

We are still a long way from their pricing being affordable.
    AlistairM said:

biggles said:

MaxPB said:

Plus this...

Oh dear. PGMOL statement: "PGMOL acknowledge a significant human error occurred during the first half of Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool. The goal by Luiz Diaz was disallowed for offside by the on-field team of match officials. This was a clear and obvious factual error...1/2
    https://x.com/philmcnulty/status/1708199597888139556?t=RCGNTdlsXo7rMJd1-wHpnA&s=08

Everyone could see it was inside except VAR. They didn't even bother drawing lines. How is it possible to make that kind of mistake?
    Utterly inexcusable. Gary Neville was right to say that for VAR, offside decisions should always be correct. Anything else is inexcusable.
    biggles said:

MaxPB said:

The first was absolutely a red, he had his foot off the ground and studs up. That's violent conduct and a straight red every single time.

Liverpool will be title contenders this season if they can sort out the discipline. Even Salah at the end getting a pointless booking for arguing just shows that Klopp is losing control of them, or worse, sending them out to be thugs on the pitch.
  • biggles said:

Good evening

Speaking as someone who resolutely refuses to use vehicle finance, and is distrustful of second hand batteries, I wasn’t expecting to buy a second hand until 2035 or so anyway, when they are all there is in the newish second hand market.

We are still a long way from their pricing being affordable.
    I would just comment that at my age (nearly 80) I do not expect to own an ev in my lifetime
    biggles said:

AlistairM said:

biggles said:

MaxPB said:

Plus this...

Utterly inexcusable. Gary Neville was right to say that for VAR, offside decisions should always be correct. Anything else is inexcusable.
    Pathetic . Yet more excuses from these officials . Liverpool were robbed and Spurs keep riding their luck .
    AlistairM said:

biggles said:

MaxPB said:

Plus this...

The lines and offside decisions should be automated like goal line technology. We have good enough AI and camera systems to do it, but in the end these decision happen all the time to every team, every season.
  • Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

Latest Opinium.

Deets:

Oh!
    Note reform on 7% too
    Who?? :lol:
    biggles said:

AlistairM said:

biggles said:

MaxPB said:

Plus this...

Every single other sport seems to make tech-assisted decision making work. Football resists it for years, then when it does introduce it, acts like it invented it, then makes an utter bollocks of it.
    It's surely the worst-executed sport in the world.
    Romania could be down to 12 men here.
    Nigelb said:

UK government keeping files on education critics’ social media activity
    An Observer investigation finds DfE tried to cancel conference with ‘unsuitable’ speakers – and experts who criticised state education policy had online posts monitored
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/30/revealed-uk-government-keeping-files-on-education-critics-social-media-activity

The Soviet Union is alive and well in Brexit Britain.
  • Scott_xP said:

@SamCoatesSky

Indeed it is the Dorries, Cruddas, Patel tribute act for Johnson and frankly they should join RefUK which is their real home

The equivalent of the Corbynites in labour
This discussion has been closed.