Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Pension Triple lock abolition looks brave – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:
    William Hague of course being such an expert in how to win general elections he led the Conservatives to their second worst defeat in 150 years in 2001
    If you wish that stat to stay unchanged then maybe listen to him ?
    Hague seems to want the Tories to lose the over 65 vote, that really would see them face a 1997 rout or worse.

Over 65s are the only age group mostly still voting Conservative
    Hypothetically would you rather the current gov accept defeat and spent the last year doing things that are electorally unpopular that would lead to a two term labour administration but would absolutely transform the future prospects of the country or would you rather they only tinkered around the edges for political reasons.

Whilst I don’t want a Labour gov I would take the former. Maybe Sunak and Hunt might be thinking along the Sydney Carton lines for which posterity if not the current electorate would thank them.
  • Kim tells Putin he opposes all forms of imperalism.

I assume the Declaration of War from North Korea on Russia will follow later today?

That would be a real black swan.

He could play the role of the Israelis in the Suez crisis and invade, giving China a pretext to send an occupying force of 'peacekeepers'.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,418
    Carnyx said:

Some days, I wonder how people manage to post on PB.

Do they dictate their posts to their secretaries, who then do all the awkward computer stuff?

Some of us were adapting computers to do what we wanted beforer you were probably out of nappies.

It's insane to confide every thing - banking, tickets, records you need for tax etc - to a single electronic instrument vullerable to theft and breakdown.
    You are one of those slackers who every time they want to use a computer, they build one from components, install a Linux distort etc?

Real Hackers (TM) light a fire, melt some sand, whittle the silicon with a jackknife (home made)....

Seriously - perhaps we can actually imagine the existence of people who don't regard IT as instinctive?

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

Carnyx said:

Do they dictate their posts to their secretaries, who then do all the awkward computer stuff?

Some of us were adapting computers to do what we wanted beforer you were probably out of nappies.

It's insane to confide every thing - banking, tickets, records you need for tax etc - to a single electronic instrument vullerable to theft and breakdown.
    You are one of those slackers who every time they want to use a computer, they build one from components, install a Linux distort etc?

Real Hackers (TM) light a fire, melt some sand, whittle the silicon with a jackknife (home made)....

Seriously - perhaps we can actually imagine the existence of people who don't regard IT as instinctive?

Oh, I do (the latter). Dealing with my late father who would barely use a landline phone, even in his 50s.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,221

Leon said:

An entire square of recently shuttered shops, bars, restaurants in Mende, France. Much of the town centre is the same

Brexit is so bad it’s actually hitting southern France

Is that a tourist town in the off season? I've been to a few places where, after the season closed, they did the Big Rebuild of the centre, ready for next year - but businesses hadn't moved in yet. So they spent a part of the year empty
    No. They’re all shut for good

• CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

The implication that stress makes you commit sexual assault/ rape colleagues is 😱. Very many women do stressful jobs without turning to sexual abuse to relieve their "stress". My niece is a consultant anaesthetist at a major teaching hospital who suffered an appalling amount of stress working during Covid and who managed to do so without sexually assaulting colleagues.

Maybe it is men like the doctor writing this letter - who seemingly cannot cope with this "stress" - who are wrong for this profession. Or, indeed, all the other professions with a problem with men assaulting their female colleagues or clients.

There are letters/emails you write - which you then print off, read, screw up and throw in the bin. If you send them you make a fool of yourself - or worse.

This was one of those letters.

Tldr; Women... Man up! Incredible stuff, someone actually wrote that.
    And the Times thought it right to publish it too.

Buried in the ludicrous 1970's views, there is a point somewhere about expectations of hard work in medical training and the workplace. Clearly people need to go into training and jobs with full understanding of what is required.

At Bath we have an issue with students who need extra time to complete exams, based on declarations of disability. I'd estimate around 40% of our pharmacy students receive extra time (for things such as dyslexia etc).

All well and good, although I think many are playing the system. But I doubt that Boots or the Hospital trust who employs them is going to give them extra time to sort the ward round, or 10 minutes rest every hour. At some point people do need to man/woman up.
    The issue is not coping with hard work. Or stress. Which lots of women are well able to do and in fact do every single day of their lives.

The issue is the idea that sexually assaulting your colleagues is somehow an acceptable way of dealing with that stress and women should learn to put up with what are, bluntly, crimes.

A doctor who does not understand that this behaviour is wrong and criminal has no business being a doctor, frankly.
    The old goat is likely retired.
    Thank goodness.
    Well, if he made consultant in 1986 he would have already been in his mid thirties then, so his departure in 2020, was likely retirement, and assuming he retired at the minimum full pensionable age of 65, he would be a minimum of 68 now.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Leon said:

Leon said:

An entire square of recently shuttered shops, bars, restaurants in Mende, France. Much of the town centre is the same

Is that a tourist town in the off season? I've been to a few places where, after the season closed, they did the Big Rebuild of the centre, ready for next year - but businesses hadn't moved in yet. So they spent a part of the year empty

In much of Europe rural depopulation is a more recent phenomenon than UK, and less able to commute because of geography. A lot of small town Spain and Italy is the same.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,454
    Carnyx said:

It's backed up on the cloud, and purchases backed up on email. Duh!

It's insane to carry stupid bits of paper around with you that have a value and can be easily lost.

It's an obsolete system that won't exist in ten years, probably less.
  • Trade Unions are the enemy within, cf NUM and Libya.

The Tories should ban these unions.

Two unions have refused to back a motion to condemn Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, with one warning imperialism exists on “both sides of the conflict”.

The Fire Brigades Union (FBU) voted against the proposals at the Trades Union Congress conference, insisting space for workers to discuss the issue has been “shut down” while criticising Britain’s involvement in the war.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union abstained on the motion, titled “Solidarity with Ukraine”, but refused to comment further.

Speaking at the conference in Liverpool, Jamie Newell, an FBU representative, said the invasion by Moscow was a “crime”, and his union condemned it.

But he spoke out against the motion because he claimed it was “one of UK military intervention”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/12/unions-refuse-motion-condemning-russia-invasion-ukraine/
  • Covid inquiry livestream on now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtuqDAiiWs

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Trainline smartphone app works a treat, I’m sure there are others. No confusion, always splits the ticket if it’s cheaper, no stupid bits of paper to stuff in your pocket and lose.

I haven’t bought a paper ticket for yonks. What exactly is the point of them?

Access to Work requires proof of travel.
    Do screenshots not count?
    Yes, of course they do.
    And you have to have a printer, and maintain it, to do that.
    No, you don't. You just email them. For crying out loud.
    I bet you don't know how to use the three seashells.

Trade Unions are the enemy within, cf NUM and Libya.

Two unions have refused to back a motion to condemn Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, with one warning imperialism exists on “both sides of the conflict”.

The Fire Brigades Union (FBU) voted against the proposals at the Trades Union Congress conference, insisting space for workers to discuss the issue has been “shut down” while criticising Britain’s involvement in the war.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union abstained on the motion, titled “Solidarity with Ukraine”, but refused to comment further.

Speaking at the conference in Liverpool, Jamie Newell, an FBU representative, said the invasion by Moscow was a “crime”, and his union condemned it.

But he spoke out against the motion because he claimed it was “one of UK military intervention”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/12/unions-refuse-motion-condemning-russia-invasion-ukraine/

The UltraHardLeft, around the world, has always supported Russian imperialism. That is, since the revolution, they have supported the right of Russia to rule everything the Tsars touched. See the war with Poland after WWI.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Heathener said:

Good morning.

Well, the country can't really afford pensions, let alone the pension triple lock. It's not sustainable.

Mike's right though: it would be brave, or foolhardy, to take on the Express and Mail over this.

Bollox, we have worst pensions in the developed world by a mile, it is a pittance. I paid in for 50 years to get this pittance. If they don't want to pay it then don't take money for it off people.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

In much of Europe rural depopulation is a more recent phenomenon than UK, and less able to commute because of geography. A lot of small town Spain and Italy is the same.
    This isn’t depopulation. This is covid and inflation. The local guide told me

Most of these places shut recently. You can still see the signs of departure

• DPBDPB Posts: 3

The UltraHardLeft, around the world, has always supported Russian imperialism. That is, since the revolution, they have supported the right of Russia to rule everything the Tsars touched. See the war with Poland after WWI.
    Get a clue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-leftism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_communism

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Trainline smartphone app works a treat, I’m sure there are others. No confusion, always splits the ticket if it’s cheaper, no stupid bits of paper to stuff in your pocket and lose.

I haven’t bought a paper ticket for yonks. What exactly is the point of them?

Access to Work requires proof of travel.
    Do screenshots not count?
    Yes, of course they do.
    And you have to have a printer, and maintain it, to do that.
    No, you don't. You just email them. For crying out loud.
    I bet you don't know how to use the three seashells.
    One up, one down and one to polish? How I was taught proper ot use the ration of medicated Izal paper that came in the compo rations when I were a cadet.
    DPB said:

Get a clue:

A plane crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border. Which side do you bury the survivors?
  • HYUFD said:

Taz said:
    William Hague of course being such an expert in how to win general elections he led the Conservatives to their second worst defeat in 150 years in 2001
    Hardly a massive blemish on Hague's career. I'm not sure the Tories led by Jesus Christ himself would have made much of a dent in Tony Blair's majority, at least not until the scales fell from the voters' eyes with Iraq.
    Considering Jesus Christ was a sandle wearing antiestablishment rebel who overthrew money tables, said that it was easier for a donkey to get through the eye of a needle than the rich to get into heaven, overturned cultural mores, hung out with the poor and prostitutes and had a "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" attitude, Jesus Christ would be more likely to belong to the Greens than the Tories.
    Camel !
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sure, the final straw, but it is the loss of young people from small towns that makes them unfixable. Same the world over.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,997
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sure, the final straw, but it is the loss of young people from small towns that makes them unfixable. Same the world over.
    Young people have moved to big cities and large towns for work for time immemorial.

However small towns and villages are attractive for retirees and some families too who want peace and quiet

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

The implication that stress makes you commit sexual assault/ rape colleagues is 😱. Very many women do stressful jobs without turning to sexual abuse to relieve their "stress". My niece is a consultant anaesthetist at a major teaching hospital who suffered an appalling amount of stress working during Covid and who managed to do so without sexually assaulting colleagues.

Maybe it is men like the doctor writing this letter - who seemingly cannot cope with this "stress" - who are wrong for this profession. Or, indeed, all the other professions with a problem with men assaulting their female colleagues or clients.

There are letters/emails you write - which you then print off, read, screw up and throw in the bin. If you send them you make a fool of yourself - or worse.

Buried in the ludicrous 1970's views, there is a point somewhere about expectations of hard work in medical training and the workplace. Clearly people need to go into training and jobs with full understanding of what is required.

At Bath we have an issue with students who need extra time to complete exams, based on declarations of disability. I'd estimate around 40% of our pharmacy students receive extra time (for things such as dyslexia etc).

All well and good, although I think many are playing the system. But I doubt that Boots or the Hospital trust who employs them is going to give them extra time to sort the ward round, or 10 minutes rest every hour. At some point people do need to man/woman up.
    Yeah there is probably some truth in that, based on accounts from friends and relatives of some of the young people they work with, where a certain amount of mental toughness seems to be lacking. I've not really experienced it myself though.
    Since the 80's/90's people are a bunch of wimpy losers, unfit to do a days work, think they are entitled to everything for nothing/without effort. These losers need their horoscopes read and realise that the world owes them nothing , get working and stop whinging and whining.

On a happier note...

S'vastopol is burning down, burning down
    S'vastopol is burning down, burning down
    Oh dear Putin

Fire confirmed...

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#t:adv;d:today;@33.5,44.6,13.0z
    excellent
    edited September 2023
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:
    Hague seems to want the Tories to lose the over 65 vote, that really would see them face a 1997 rout or worse.

Hypothetically would you rather the current gov accept defeat and spent the last year doing things that are electorally unpopular that would lead to a two term labour administration but would absolutely transform the future prospects of the country or would you rather they only tinkered around the edges for political reasons.

Whilst I don’t want a Labour gov I would take the former. Maybe Sunak and Hunt might be thinking along the Sydney Carton lines for which posterity if not the current electorate would thank them.
    I would rather we did not betray our core vote and those reliant on the state pension.

If Sunak and Hunt are stupid enough to try this they would deserve the electoral oblivion they would get, though they would most likely be removed soon enough by backbenchers panicked at losing the pensioner vote and their seats
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,741

MattW said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

I see the "Don't Close Ticket Offices" petition has passed 100k signatures.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/636542

I’d be interested to know how many of the signatories actually use ticket offices as opposed to just like the idea of them.

Our local ticket office was closed. It was the re opened after a backlash against it then closed again a few months later as hardly anyone used it.
    The numbers are that ticket offices do about 170 million tickets per year. The Govt have been leading with "12% of tickets", but I think it is more like 17% of businesses.

But for many disabled people it is the difference as to whether they can use the rail system or not.

Some types of ticket and other services are not available via the machines, some people cannot use the machines, and it is not uncommon to be stranded for hours at railway stations. The ticket office has to be the help point.

That is perhaps why disabled peoples' organisations were not even consulted when the proposal was first cooked up in the corridors of power.

See the commentary coming eg from Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson on this. She had to move house to be near a useable railway station.

And that's ignoring the basic legal duties to which the railway service is subject around providing equality of access, and often ignores.

At my local London Mainline Station (around 300k passengers per year) I suspect many disabled people stopped bothering years ago, as to change from Platform 1 to Platform 2 requires a half-hour train journey out and then back to either Nottingham or Chesterfield to use the lifts there to replace the crossing facility that was removed from our station in 1994 and not replaced.

The Govt will get their nuts roasted on this one.
    Tickets can be purchased on your phone though, through the app. It’s actually easier, quicker and more accessible than a physical office.
    Thank you for pouring gasoline over your head. Im not sure that smoking a cigar while doing so was an optimal move, though.

#EndCash
    Most of the Seoul underground machines to recharged your travel pass only accept cash.

For now.
    Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

Good of the Times to publish it. I'm sure they don't agree with it, and by putting it out there they are exposing this bloke to well-deserved public ridicule.

Smart.
    He’s also misspelt “insensitive” in his sign off, maybe the Times just couldn’t read his writing.
    "Insensitivist" (which is what it looked like at first glance) is now a word.
    Intensivist.

Intensive care specialist, I assume.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

The attitude dies hard, on both right and left, that somehow, the nations of Eastern Europe are not "real" nations, and that Russia has a historic role as their gendarme.
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Hypothetically would you rather the current gov accept defeat and spent the last year doing things that are electorally unpopular that would lead to a two term labour administration but would absolutely transform the future prospects of the country or would you rather they only tinkered around the edges for political reasons...

Might even help transform the future prospects of the Tories.

Clinging on to the pensioner vote might mitigate their loss, but it won't win the election, and is literally a dead end strategy.

a
    Sean_F said:

The attitude dies hard, on both right and left, that somehow, the nations of Eastern Europe are not "real" nations, and that Russia has a historic role as their gendarme.
    "gendarme", eh?

With the not-so-occasional "passage à tabac" to keep the wogs Near Abroad in line.....
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

Yeah there is probably some truth in that, based on accounts from friends and relatives of some of the young people they work with, where a certain amount of mental toughness seems to be lacking. I've not really experienced it myself though.
    Since the 80's/90's people are a bunch of wimpy losers, unfit to do a days work, think they are entitled to everything for nothing/without effort. These losers need their horoscopes read and realise that the world owes them nothing , get working and stop whinging and whining.
    Since you'll be retired soon, malc, better hope you're wrong.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,022
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Whenever I’ve visited France, I’ve been puzzled about what people in these small towns do.
    In England, very few people are truly rural. Most people who live in the countryside have – at least if they can drive – access to a moderately wide range of job opportunities within an hour or so. Anywhere in rural Cheshire for example is within an hour of Liverpool and Manchester, as well as smaller employment centres like Warrington, Runcorn, Chester, Crewe… - and you can repeat this for pretty much any county in the country. (Perhaps exceptions for parts of Devon and Cornwall, West Cumberland, North Northumberland, coastal Lincolnshire, one or two other places – but these are very much the minority, and tourism fills some of the gaps there, albeit there are problems with economies based around tourism). But so much of France seems so far from everywhere. What do people in the modern economy do? There’s only so much land to be farmed and farmers to serve wine and cheese to before you run out of ways to make a living.
  • HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

I would rather we did not betray our core vote and those reliant on the state pension.

If Sunak and Hunt are stupid enough to try this they would deserve the electoral oblivion they would get, though they would most likely be removed soon enough by backbenchers panicked at losing the pensioner vote and their seats
    Even if the consequence of that would be the ruination of the country?

I don't think it would, the Triple Lock is coming up now because the government is at the "scrambling for pennies down the back of the sofa to pretend to fund a tax giveaway" stage of fiscal desperation, but there will come a point where the problem is not just an op-ed problem, but a real one.

But is the new Conservative logo really a raised middle finger to anyone who doesn't vote for them?
  • Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Tubbs, yeah, I forget the stats but while some hate ZHCs others find them very useful.

A straight up ban is daft.

My sister (mum of 3) has a ZHC that works well for her

DPB said:

Get a clue:

A plane crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border. Which side do you bury the survivors?
    Historically speaking, burial alive would be a China thing.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    Seems like it was a very successful attack by Ukraine. They only recently sent in special forces to take out the radar in Sevastopol. This is now the result.

2+2 🤔 Hope it's true 🤞🏻🍀

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1701902263860465708?s=20
  • HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

The triple lock is not sustainable

Even if it is adjusted to 7.8% next year, pensioners like myself will receive 17.9% more on the 8th April 2024 than on the 3rd April 2023

You always talk about core vote, but do you ever think of the right thing to do for the benefit of the country, and in any respect may conservative mps are facing electoral oblivion anyway
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

Mental toughness is one thing.

Learning to cope with senior colleagues assaulting you should not be a requirement of any job.

FFS! Does this still need saying? In 2023?
    No, exactly. It's quite incredible the attitudes that exist still in some quarters.
    "Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Might be quicker to list those quarters where this does not happen.
    Education?

Any reports about it happening in educational environments seem to be from decades ago.

Why is it so prevalent in the Police etc, but not with teachers?

Could it be perhaps that safeguarding training and responsibilities are considered more seriously in one than the other?

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Even if the consequence of that would be the ruination of the country?

I don't think it would, the Triple Lock is coming up now because the government is at the "scrambling for pennies down the back of the sofa to pretend to fund a tax giveaway" stage of fiscal desperation, but there will come a point where the problem is not just an op-ed problem, but a real one.

But is the new Conservative logo really a raised middle finger to anyone who doesn't vote for them?
    I think that is where I essentially part company with @HYUFD's brand of politics. Essentially, in office, you tax the people who don't vote for you, in order to provide benefits to those who do vote for you.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    Don't think this ship will be going anywhere soon except the scrapyard.

Another photo of the damaged Russian Project 775 large landing ship, BDK-43 “Minsk” which was targeted during night attack on Sevastopol.

https://x.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1701910856076824999?s=20
    Did Korean barbecue this evening.

It was ace.
    Beef, garlic and fermented tofu paste, wrapped in pickled perilla leaves... yum.

Plus soju - the most efficient way to get drunk in existence.
    Nigelb said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Hypothetically would you rather the current gov accept defeat and spent the last year doing things that are electorally unpopular that would lead to a two term labour administration but would absolutely transform the future prospects of the country or would you rather they only tinkered around the edges for political reasons...

Clinging on to the pensioner vote might mitigate their loss, but it won't win the election, and is literally a dead end strategy.

Yes, the party needs to be a true party of ambition and aspiration which means providing a platform for anyone and everyone to succeed to the point where they don’t need to look after the pensioner vote because the pensioner vote was already helped to their comfortable positions by the party in the first place and they recognise the benefits of helping future generations the same way they were helped.

The Tories need to become THE party of the young - support completely entrepreneurship, education, skills, ability to buy homes. Effectively be a version of my father who said to me “do not expect any inheritance, I’m going to pay for a great education, life experiences and support to get you started in life but then you have to do it for yourself”. I know too many people who weren’t pushed who are still sitting stewing waiting for inheritances.

Tories, be like Dad.
  • MattW said:

Icarus said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

I see the "Don't Close Ticket Offices" petition has passed 100k signatures.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/636542

I’d be interested to know how many of the signatories actually use ticket offices as opposed to just like the idea of them.

Our local ticket office was closed. It was the re opened after a backlash against it then closed again a few months later as hardly anyone used it.
    The only time I would ever NOT use a ticket office, and use a machine instead, is when there is a large queue already at the ticket office.
    It works well in London, but only because the ticketing system is simple enough that even a computer can process it.

That doesn't map on the national network, and I'm not sure it could.
    Booked a ticket from Market Harborough to Nottingham (to watch Leicestershire in Cricket final) Saturday 09.32 Standard Class £23.90; 1st Class £16.20
    That all, however, assumes that the computer is a) Available, b) Working , c) Useable and D) Can supply the correct ticket. If it can't, it's useless to that customer.

Tanni Grey-Thompson
    @Tanni_GT Sep 9
    This is what I see at a TVM. I can’t tell when to put my card details in

https://twitter.com/Tanni_GT/status/1700467673539244408

(TVM: Ticket Vending Machine)

That’s what the flashing green light by the card slot is for. You can just see it in the far left of the picture

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

Learning to cope with senior colleagues assaulting you should not be a requirement of any job.

No, exactly. It's quite incredible the attitudes that exist still in some quarters.
    "Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

Any reports about it happening in educational environments seem to be from decades ago.

Could it be perhaps that safeguarding training and responsibilities are considered more seriously in one than the other?
    Bullying and sexual harassment are particularly prevalent in hierarchical organisations, particularly those where promotion relies on patronage and contacts.

It is no surprise that we are seeing these accusations in medicine in a highly competitive area like surgery, rather than cinderella areas like psychiatry or General Practice.

Is abolishing the pensions triple lock brave, or is it desperate?

The Truss Calamity showed how close Britain was to exhausting the patience of its creditors. If you feel a desperate need to close the gap between income and expenditure it makes sense to target the largest items of expenditure. That's pensions and the NHS.

I'm a desperate situation not increasing pensions quite as fast as the triple lock is probably the easier of the available options. Options that are becoming ever more limited by fiscal reality.

This fiscal reality is not going to be changed by the election of a Labour government. Such a government will have to either grasp the nettle of raising taxes, or it will find itself forced into the same desperate choices.

They can find billions for all sorts of crap , especially to fund their pals so there is no excuse to beggar pensioners given it is teh worst pension in the developed world , about a quarter to a third of comparable countries and even lower than Mexico. The clowns should be ashamed.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

I'm quite certain that the sexual exploitation of children is still a thing in some schools, based upon conversations with people younger than myself.
  • Spoof interview with Nadine Dorries:
    https://twitter.com/wsebag/status/1701860766968602816
    malcolmg said:

Is abolishing the pensions triple lock brave, or is it desperate?

The Truss Calamity showed how close Britain was to exhausting the patience of its creditors. If you feel a desperate need to close the gap between income and expenditure it makes sense to target the largest items of expenditure. That's pensions and the NHS.

I'm a desperate situation not increasing pensions quite as fast as the triple lock is probably the easier of the available options. Options that are becoming ever more limited by fiscal reality.

This fiscal reality is not going to be changed by the election of a Labour government. Such a government will have to either grasp the nettle of raising taxes, or it will find itself forced into the same desperate choices.

They can find billions for all sorts of crap , especially to fund their pals so there is no excuse to beggar pensioners given it is teh worst pension in the developed world , about a quarter to a third of comparable countries and even lower than Mexico. The clowns should be ashamed.
    Affordability is one issue with the triple lock, but with pensions it does mean less need for other benefits for the elderly.

• Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

All well and good, although I think many are playing the system. But I doubt that Boots or the Hospital trust who employs them is
    going to give them extra time to sort the ward round, or 10 minutes rest every hour. At some point people do need to man/woman up.
    The Times was right to publish. Why do you think they shouldn’t have?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

I will let @ydoethur comment on education.

But look at the list above. I forgot to include the City. The majority of employees are male - though increasingly less so in medicine and law. Even there the women coming into the profession will still be at the lower echelons.

Perhaps - wild guess this - the sex of the employees has something to do with the sort of behaviour that is considered somehow normal.
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

I'm quite certain that the sexual exploitation of children is still a thing in some schools, based upon conversations with people younger than myself.
    That is where hierarchy and patronage enter the building.
  • Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Even if it is adjusted to 7.8% next year, pensioners like myself will receive 17.9% more on the 8th April 2024 than on the 3rd April 2023

You always talk about core vote, but do you ever think of the right thing to do for the benefit of the country, and in any respect may conservative mps are facing electoral oblivion anyway
    Back in July you were implying that ditching the triple lock was "anti elderly":

As I said yesterday Sunak is committed to including the triple lock in the conservative manifesto and now Starmer has done the same

I also posted a 2021 yougov survey that showed majority support for the triple lock across all ages including the young.

It is a warning to all those who seem anti elderly that it is not a majority view

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1674406530802765826?t=bDR9hfISQSOc_T9o4PZNIg&s=19
    I accept it was not a majority view but it is apparent as explained by myself 17.9% rise in 12 months is not sustainable
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited September 2023
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

Bullying and sexual harassment are particularly prevalent in hierarchical organisations, particularly those where promotion relies on patronage and contacts.

It is no surprise that we are seeing these accusations in medicine in a highly competitive area like surgery, rather than cinderella areas like psychiatry or General Practice.
    Indeed though pupil teacher relationships presumably are quite hierarchical too, but modern teachers don't seem to abuse their pupils whereas it was happening more decades ago, perhaps something related to that is not just the awareness of safeguarding etc but also how discipline is handled nowadays?

When teachers thought it was acceptable to handle ill discipline with a cane, then is it any wonder other inappropriate touching might happen?

Whereas when training needs to be on de-escalation as touching is never acceptable, then that attitude helps with other areas too.

American Police on the other extreme who get far more firearms than de-escalation training, is it any wonder they're trigger happy?

How attitudes work in one area, spills into others too.
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

I will let @ydoethur comment on education.

But look at the list above. I forgot to include the City. The majority of employees are male - though increasingly less so in medicine and law. Even there the women coming into the profession will still be at the lower echelons.

Perhaps - wild guess this - the sex of the employees has something to do with the sort of behaviour that is considered somehow normal.
    Interestingly, in the Surgeons survey it was a quarter of males as well as 2/3 of females who reported sexual harassment. Some of this may well have been homosexual harassment by men of course, but even so a significant fraction.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

All well and good, although I think many are playing the system. But I doubt that Boots or the Hospital trust who employs them is
    going to give them extra time to sort the ward round, or 10 minutes rest every hour. At some point people do need to man/woman up.
    They have a right to publish what they want. I wonder what they want to achieve by publishing this letter though? I runs so counter to current legal, and cultural standards that they cannot have thought "yes, this guy has it right". I mean the BBC puts disclaimers when it shows TV form the 1970's - perhaps the Times could do the same here?

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

@ydoethur to the red courtesy phone. @ydoethur to the red courtesy phone.
  • Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Back in July you were implying that ditching the triple lock was "anti elderly":

As I said yesterday Sunak is committed to including the triple lock in the conservative manifesto and now Starmer has done the same

I also posted a 2021 yougov survey that showed majority support for the triple lock across all ages including the young.

It is a warning to all those who seem anti elderly that it is not a majority view

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1674406530802765826?t=bDR9hfISQSOc_T9o4PZNIg&s=19
    I accept it was not a majority view but it is apparent as explained by myself 17.9% rise in 12 months is not sustainable
    But it's not really 12 months, is it? It's a carefully chosen pair of dates to include two annual increases.

And that increase would have happened on pretty much the same way under the Thatcher inflation-only lock.

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

They have a right to publish what they want. I wonder what they want to achieve by publishing this letter though? I runs so counter to current legal, and cultural standards that they cannot have thought "yes, this guy has it right". I mean the BBC puts disclaimers when it shows TV form the 1970's - perhaps the Times could do the same here?
    It illustrates the reality of the situation - that people (in this case not long retired) will even attempt to excuse such behaviour.

Condemned from his own mouth.

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

It is worth hearing bad arguments, to distinguish them from the good.

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

Indeed though pupil teacher relationships presumably are quite hierarchical too, but modern teachers don't seem to abuse their pupils whereas it was happening more decades ago, perhaps something related to that is not just the awareness of safeguarding etc but also how discipline is handled nowadays?

When teachers thought it was acceptable to handle ill discipline with a cane, then is it any wonder other inappropriate touching might happen?

Whereas when training needs to be on de-escalation as touching is never acceptable, then that attitude helps with other areas too.

American Police on the other extreme who get far more firearms than de-escalation training, is it any wonder they're trigger happy?

I'm afraid we'll be hearing about "historic" scandals in schools, in 25 years time.
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

Yes, imagine a letter from a senior police officer - "All the suspects were guilty, in my day, even if we had to tune up a few of them to get them to confess. And there is nothing wrong with a few pounds in an envelope from grateful shop keepers, either."
    edited September 2023
    boulay said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Yes, the party needs to be a true party of ambition and aspiration which means providing a platform for anyone and everyone to succeed to the point where they don’t need to look after the pensioner vote because the pensioner vote was already helped to their comfortable positions by the party in the first place and they recognise the benefits of helping future generations the same way they were helped.

The Tories need to become THE party of the young - support completely entrepreneurship, education, skills, ability to buy homes. Effectively be a version of my father who said to me “do not expect any inheritance, I’m going to pay for a great education, life experiences and support to get you started in life but then you have to do it for yourself”. I know too many people who weren’t pushed who are still sitting stewing waiting for inheritances.

Tories, be like Dad.
    The support for the Tories amongst the young will never be a majority, the young almost always vote Labour.

The Tory core vote is pensioners and the swing voters the middle aged and always will be.

Even if you get top school grades does not guarantee you will get a high paid job or you will be able to afford a house in London and the SE even if you do without assistance. Support for inheritance is a key Tory principle.

73% of Tory voters want to keep the triple lock, even 53% of 18 to 24s want to keep the triple lock

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy/articles-reports/2021/08/18/britons-wouldnt-ditch-pensions-triple-lock-rule

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

Yes, imagine a letter from a senior police officer - "All the suspects were guilty, in my day, even if we had to tune up a few of them to get them to confess. And there is nothing wrong with a few pounds in an envelope from grateful shop keepers, either."
    Come now, you'll trigger Anabob with stuff like that.

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

Caning is still allowed in Singapore schools for boys and they top the PISA rankings and have few discipline problems.

There are arguments for it
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380

Spoof interview with Nadine Dorries:
    https://twitter.com/wsebag/status/1701860766968602816

The Truss one is quite fun, too.
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

Caning is still allowed in Singapore schools for boys and they top the PISA rankings and have few discipline problems.

You mean, how exciting it is for the teachers?
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

There is no argument for caning whatsoever
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

You mean, how exciting it is for the teachers?
    Well, it is fun.

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

There is no argument for caning whatsoever
    No. There are arguments for caning. There are arguments for everything.

It is the settled position of modern Western European followers of the Enlightenment philosophical and social trends that the arguments *for* caning are bad.

The reason I make the distinction is that the social progress we have made is not a divine gift, automatically bestowed. It was created with hard work and hard argument. It needs defending and maintaining.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

And so our old friends 'correlation' and 'causation' once again arrive to remind that they are not, in fact, one and the same.

Never mind that a prosperous city state does not make for a great international comparator, it is worth pointing out that nearly all of their peers at the top of the PISA lists (including China - which is actually top, not Singapore), have banned corporal punishment in schools.

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

It's ragebait that will drive traffic.
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

Best not post a pic of the utterly delicious Ethiopian meal I had the other evening at a cash-only restaurant :smiley:
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,899
    edited September 2023
    Ticket office staff are great if you're looking for the next available train with space for two touring bikes.

If they are to go, the apps and machines need to be much more transparent around pricing and options (suggesting cheaper alternatives, for example).
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No, it’s not that

The population of Lozere has halved in size since its peak, from 140,000 in 1880, to 70,000 in the 1960s. But it has stabilised since then, and is still about 70,000 - young Parisians and other Europeans seeking the rural life/mountain adventures equal those leaving. Moreover, this is Mende, the city of the departement. It is actually growing, noticeably

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mende,_Lozère

So what you can see in those photos is Covid and inflation at work, and of course Brexit

IRONY KLAXON

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

Not in a civilised society.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,596
    Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

Best not post a pic of the utterly delicious Ethiopian meal I had the other evening at a cash-only restaurant :smiley:
    That;s a cuisine I am keen to try, Dixiedean, IIRC, of this parish went to an Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurant in the toon this year and raved about it.
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Tories, be like Dad.
    The support for the Tories amongst the young will never be a majority, the young almost always vote Labour.

The Tory core vote is pensioners and the swing voters the middle aged and always will be.

Even if you get top school grades does not guarantee you will get a high paid job or you will be able to afford a house in London and the SE even if you do without assistance. Support for inheritance is a key Tory principle.

73% of Tory voters want to keep the triple lock, even 53% of 18 to 24s want to keep the triple lock

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy/articles-reports/2021/08/18/britons-wouldnt-ditch-pensions-triple-lock-rule
    Some day the Tories need to change - if they keep saying they are the party of pensioners then they will never get the vote of the young. If they become the party of the young and give everyone every chance for a better life by providing a platform then they will eventually become the party of the young, and maybe, just maybe, also the party of the pensioners as they will also have benefited from the platform when they were young and now they are comfortable they want their children and grandchildren to benefit from the same platform.

Otherwise the country will stagnate and I want the UK to prosper even if it means a bit of pain for the Tories for a decade.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

And so our old friends 'correlation' and 'causation' once again arrive to remind that they are not, in fact, one and the same.

Never mind that a prosperous city state does not make for a great international comparator, it is worth pointing out that nearly all of their peers at the top of the PISA lists (including China - which is actually top, not Singapore), have banned corporal punishment in schools.
    China does not submit fully national numbers.

Singapore is also rather a special case.

Estonia and Finland have pretty humane school systems...

And if you want a pleasant surprise... keep looking at the full numbers...
    https://www.datapandas.org/ranking/pisa-scores-by-country

Jean Boht, best remembered as the Matriarch in the TV series "Bread" is now with nana and the angles.

RIP

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/bread-star-jean-boht-dies-aged-91/ar-AA1gEuCu?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=ed68de3c06ca435092ec474203159549&ei=10
    I’m in a much-vaunted new lunch gaff in beautiful Pont de Montvert

They have managed to fuck up a salad

Seriously. What the fuck has happened to French food??
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

There is never an argument for beating children.
    Taz said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

That;s a cuisine I am keen to try, Dixiedean, IIRC, of this parish went to an Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurant in the toon this year and raved about it.
    They eat weird fermented flat bread which tastes like a quickly decaying sea sponge, with the texture to match

Some like it. Many do not
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,354
    Eabhal said:

Ticket office staff are great if you're looking for the next available train with space for two touring bikes.

If they are to go, the apps and machines need to be much more transparent around pricing and options (suggesting cheaper alternatives, for example).

Not everyone wants to arrange everything in their life on an app.
    I shall have beer for lunch. The beer is good
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

They eat weird fermented flat bread which tastes like a quickly decaying sea sponge, with the texture to match

Some like it. Many do not
    Thanks Leon

Just done a quick google and found this.

I must try it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injera
    Leon said:

How have they fucked up the salad ?
  • Henry Riley
    @HenryRiley1
    ·
    44m
    EXCL

Michael Gove's local council could go bankrupt within 2 years

Surrey Heath Council criticised for spending of £113 million sites which now have a valuation of £33 million – a loss in value of £79 million, or 71%.

https://twitter.com/HenryRiley1/status/1701915636538970406
    Taz said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

The ubiquitous injera, which is like a giant floppy sour pikelet that functions as both plate and utensil, can be a bit of an acquired taste (like a lot of things which have a bit of fermentation about them tbf). But it's not hard to acquire.

The rest of the cuisine is delish - the typical spice combos (most characteristic being berbere) are great, perhaps unusually spicy for sub-saharan africa (to MASSIVELY generalise) but not blow-your-head-off stuff by any means.

Very inclusive food, as the common and popular 'fasting' dishes are free of all animal products, making them great for vegans. And eating is a lovely communal experienced, enhanced by the injera acting as a giant shared plate. I've never done the coffee ceremony but I understand that is quite pleasant too.

Give it a go - there are quite a lot more around these days; Eritrean cuisine btw is almost the same as Ethiopian, as I understand it, so you'd get the same experience at an Eritrean gaff.
    Cicero said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

On Ghedebrav's point, I'm just trying to assimilate the argument from correlation that HYUFD offers is. Surely the corollary is that if the Isle of Wight becomes independent of North Island and starts flogging the bairns, it will also become top in Maths.
    Taz said:

Leon said:

How have they fucked up the salad ?
    Like so much French food, over-ambition meeting lack of basic talent and taste

It’s meant to be an inventive new salad, i think, mixing bread with melon and goat’s cheese and ham and tomatoes and a harder cheese… and lettuce, and onions…. And a spreadable cheese and sliced carrot (unpeeled) and another different cheese (with the rind on) and sunflower seeds… and on top of that they told me to pour this weird sweet mustard vinaigrette.. all served in a bowl which makes it hard to eat

it is actually disgusting, so many flavours colliding. It’s like a failed vegan puked on the table

This is consistently the worst food I have had on a Gazette assignment since God knows when. Ukrainian food was arguably better than this. At least they don’t boast about it
    Cicero said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

Yes, China's submission is oddly handwaved and v much not nationally representative (if the UK only presented London and the home counties, or only grammar schools, it would be higher up the rankings).
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In today's Times -

"Some quarters"

Parliament
    The police
    The fire service
    The army
    The navy
    The RAF
    The law
    Medicine

Education?

There is never an argument for beating children.
    Sure there is.

It's just not a very good one.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680

Penddu2 said:

I am getting my rugby predictions in early for this weekends games-
    - Thurs - France v Uruguay
    - Fri - New Zealand v Namibia
    - Sun - South Africa v Romania
    These three games will be walkovers for Fra, NZ & SA - with potential for record scores.

- Sat - Samoa v Chile
    - Sat - Ireland v Tonga
    - Sat - Wal v Portugal
    - Sun - England v Japan
    These four games will be comfortable wins for Sam, Ire, Wal & Jap, but with 20-40 point margins 'only'

The only real competive game this weekend is Australia v Fiji....and that will be an absolute cracker. More on this game to follow.

Are you trolling? I think Eng v Japan may be a tough game, but 30 to 40 point win?
    I have just spotted my typo... That should have been England (Welsh Twitter would explode if Japan...)

Penddu2 said:

I am getting my rugby predictions in early for this weekends games-
    - Thurs - France v Uruguay
    - Fri - New Zealand v Namibia
    - Sun - South Africa v Romania
    These three games will be walkovers for Fra, NZ & SA - with potential for record scores.

- Sat - Samoa v Chile
    - Sat - Ireland v Tonga
    - Sat - Wal v Portugal
    - Sun - England v Japan
    These four games will be comfortable wins for Sam, Ire, Wal & Jap, but with 20-40 point margins 'only'

The only real competive game this weekend is Australia v Fiji....and that will be an absolute cracker. More on this game to follow.

Betfair has Japan at 14.5. I assume you have filled your boots...
    Typo...albeit an amusing one...
    edited September 2023
    Theory: France is a nation famous for its cooking. So they all grow up thinking they have a talent for it

Which is utter nonsense and results in awful food. It’s like Italians imagining they can all sing opera

Just testing that theory out….

I am open to others
  • Henry Riley
    @HenryRiley1
    ·
    44m
    EXCL

Surrey Heath Council criticised for spending of £113 million sites which now have a valuation of £33 million – a loss in value of £79 million, or 71%.

No doubt voters in Woking, next door to Surrey Heath, look at this and wish their former Conservative administration had been that prudent and only left them £79 million underwater. What is it now in Woking? Couple of billion at last count, I think.

Henry Riley
    @HenryRiley1
    ·
    44m
    EXCL

No doubt voters in Woking, next door to Surrey Heath, look at this and wish their former Conservative administration had been that prudent and only left them £79 million underwater. What is it now in Woking? Couple of billion at last count, I think.
    Woking Council sure picked the winners, didn't they?
  • Leon said:

Theory: France is a nation famous for its cooking. So they all grow up thinking they have a talent for it

Which is utter nonsense and results in awful food. It’s like Italians imagining they can all sing opera

Just testing that theory out….

I am open to others

French cuisine was always at its best at the bottom of the scale, where you could rely on a perfectly good three-course meal for a fiver in any small town before 8pm. The higher up the scale the more preposterous it gets, reaching its apotheosis with all that Escoffier crap for bored aristocrats.

Just testing a theory...

• This is a declaration of war.

I have retreated to a classically basic French cafe for consumables that even the French can’t fuck up

This discussion has been closed.