Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters remain uneasy about the Mid Beds by-election – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,769
edited September 2023 in General
imagePunters remain uneasy about the Mid Beds by-election – politicalbetting.com

So far none of the major parties has managed to dominate the betting in the October 19th mid Beds by-election and as can be seen the LD. CON and LAB odds are very close to each other.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,919
    First on the Mid Beds 'not had a bet' Scandal
  • Options
    I still think CON will finish top 3 👍
  • Options
    Well.

Putin weighs in on charges against Trump:

“What’s happening with Trump is a persecution of a political rival for political motives.”

“This shows the whole rottenness of the American political system, which cannot claim to teach others about democracy”

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1701549737076302086
  • Options
    Con to hold both Tamworth & Mid Beds.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,370

Well.

“What’s happening with Trump is a persecution of a political rival for political motives.”

“This shows the whole rottenness of the American political system, which cannot claim to teach others about democracy”

Just Putin trying to undermine faith in Western democracy. Ignore and move on is my advice. We have due process and Trump will be found guilty or not guilty by a jury of his equals.

If the Russians come for Putin after his innumerable crimes, it won't end in jail cell.
  • Options
    Bill Kristol
    @BillKristol
    ·
    7h
    Trump won NC by one and a half percent in 2020. Now he's ahead of Biden by 4. Consistent with national polls showing him running a couple of points better against Biden than he did in 2020.

I am alarmed.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1701546580417884227
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Well.

Just Putin trying to undermine faith in Western democracy. Ignore and move on is my advice. We have due process and Trump will be found guilty or not guilty by a jury of his equals.

If the Russians come for Putin after his innumerable crimes, it won't end in jail cell.
    “What’s happening with Trump is a persecution of my best hope of a win in Ukraine for political motives.”
  • Options

Is that the beginning of the swing back?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Well.

I don't think Putin is trying to undermine Western democracy - I think it's much more about him trying to sing the praises of Russian democracy. Every Russian can after all vote for Putin.
  • Options
    Traitorous Scots booing their own national anthem.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,277
    I absolutely hate people booing national anthems . The Scottish football supporters should be ashamed .
  • Options

No.

Mid Beds a Con hold because the Lib Dems split the anti Tory vote.

Tamworth down to a bit of sympathy for Chris Pincher.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I absolutely hate people booing national anthems . The Scottish football supporters should be ashamed .

Hahahaha
  • Options
    Farooq said:

nico679 said:

Hahahaha
    I’d say the same if this was south of the border . Disgusting and disrespectful.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Farooq said:

nico679 said:

Hahahaha
    I’d say the same if this was south of the border . Disgusting and disrespectful.
    Oh don't take it so seriously
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,660
    nico679 said:

Both supporters booed the others anthem.

It does show how Jerusalem must be the England anthem, it is ludicrous having GSTK still as national anthem for England when they play against other home nations or Commonwealth realms the King is head of state of too.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

It does show how Jerusalem must be the England anthem, it is ludicrous having GSTK still as national anthem for England when they play against other home nations or Commonwealth realms the King is head of state of too.

The booing during the minute's silence for Craig Brown was a disgrace.

Lovely lovely man.
  • Options
    So Sky have named their new politics show 'PoliticsHub'.

I fear an epic autocorrect will soon happen with a word that begins with 'Po' and ends in 'hub'.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,398
    edited September 2023
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

No. All the nations with the King as HoS should have GSTK, but sung in their local language, played with local instruments, and to a local style version of the tune
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,437

Tamworth but not Mid Beds. Not after the Dorries fiasco.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,357
    Just watching Notorious from 1946. Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Hitchcock directing - what's not to love.

What is startling is that the film's theme music was very, very close to the much later TV Star Trek theme..... If you should ever watch it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

The booing during the minute's silence for Craig Brown was a disgrace.

Lovely lovely man.
    This is why if you're going to have these tributes (and really, it's probably all a bit overdone) then you should do it with applause. Football is institutionally maudlin.
  • Options

I fear an epic autocorrect will soon happen with a word that begins with 'Po' and ends in 'hub'.

Certainly if current polling is to be believed.

Is "polling" a euphemism for something unspeakable?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Foxy said:

Probably plenty of natural Tories there who wouldn't have voted for Dorries.....I'm sure it was why the Tories held Hillingdon in the by-election. ULEZ my arse. Anti-Boris Tories returning home.
  • Options
    Correct on Craig Brown - one of the real good guys.

Meanwhile can a split opposition and a Mid-Beds win save Mr Sunak from the looming threat of a Gullis challenge to his leadership? Could he remove Mr Sunak and the Con MPs then reward us with a Gullis v Truss leadership campaign while poor Johnson watches from the sidelines. Always remember my Con-supporting friends that things really could be worse than a mere 20% defecit in the polls.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Probably plenty of natural Tories there who wouldn't have voted for Dorries.....
    Probably one of the reasons why the swing in Uxbridge was so meh. At least some voters must have thought "thank God the disreputable scarecrow has gone".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,660

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

No. All the nations with the King as HoS should have GSTK, but sung in their local language, played with local instruments, and to a local style version of the tune
    No, GSTK should just be the UK anthem and royal anthem when the King is in attendance. It should be an anthem of unity not pitting one of his realms against others
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,081

Was it that verse about Marshall Wade and the rebellious Scots?
  • Options

Just watching Notorious from 1946. Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Hitchcock directing - what's not to love.

What is startling is that the film's theme music was very, very close to the much later TV Star Trek theme..... If you should ever watch it.

Yeah, it really is quite reminiscent. Just checked it out and you're spot on.
  • Options

I'm not sure I'd be into that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

No, GSTK should just be the UK anthem and royal anthem when the King is in attendance. It should be an anthem of unity not pitting one of his realms against others
    It may distress you to know that I entirely agree
  • Options
    Lay the LDs is my strategy here.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,165
    edited September 2023

HR at my work uses a performance management/development tool called "Performance Hub", which some of my colleagues refer to as PHub. :anguished:
  • Options

The Scots have always been firm when it counts. A bit windy, sure.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

I do actually agree. I was being silly

I would like to hear the Welsh and Scottish versions though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

"God Save The King"? What about the rest of us plebs?
  • Options

PollingHub?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,485

It's a pretty niche fetish.
  • Options

No.

Tories pinch an unexpected victory to bed down in government?
  • Options
    England score!!
  • Options
    Straight off the plane from Berlin I can immediately tell I’m back in shit hole Tory Britain - ‘Making your life worse in a thousand ways since 2010’.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,472
    edited September 2023
    Should this be a crime?

“Paedophiles using open source AI to create child sexual abuse content, says watchdog”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/12/paedophiles-using-open-source-ai-to-create-child-sexual-abuse-content-says-watchdog?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Clearly if they are taking real images of real people and manipulating them, that should be illegal. Predatory and invasive

But what if they are creating images ex nihilo? Of children that “do not exist”? Which are just pixels conjured by Dalle-3 or whatever?

I can see arguments both ways. On the bad side, this is material which may deprave and corrupt, on the other side, it seems insane to prosecute people for digital imaginings, and it is arguable that this might slake the perverse thirst of men who would otherwise commit real crimes against real people
  • Options
    2-0 to the England!!
  • Options
    Have Apple actually cut some of their prices for the new iPhones?
  • Options
    Dreadful defending by Scotland .
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,121
    edited September 2023

Yes, certainly for UK users of the Pro Max.
  • Options

Straight off the plane from Berlin I can immediately tell I’m back in shit hole Tory Britain - ‘Making your life worse in a thousand ways since 2010’.

So a tap in a building owned and operated by a private company (or may be a local council) springs a leak.

Management take swift action to make sure there is no danger of someone slipping on the wet floor and injuring themselves until they can get a plumber out to fix the leak.

I’m failing to see what the problem is? And why the government deserves any blame (or credit) for it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,437
    rcs1000 said:

The whips might like it.
  • Options

These Trump supporting women certainly would be into that.

• Options

No.

There is no sympathy whatsoever for Chris Pincher in Tamworth. He was a useless constituency MP and was infamous for bullying to cover up not only his own but also his friends' sexual misbehaviour, one such friend being the headmaster of a local school.

The reaction to hearing he was resigning was 'finally, the twat.'
  • Options
    "BP boss resigns amid review of 'personal relationships'"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66790609
  • Options
    edited September 2023

I can reliably inform you that remote provincial France, which did not Brexit, is looking considerably more fucked than the equivalent place in provincial England, which did
  • Options

They must think their clientele are hard up.
  • Options

Gosh, BP really know how to pick 'em, don't they?

At least this one has only been accused of lying, not perjury.
  • Options

We are.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,596
    nico679 said:

Eh? Why not complain about the Lichtenstein national anthem being played? Borat has obviously got in here too.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,274

Don’t worry. His pension is safe, as are his share options. Also the golden goodbye. Also the golden hello at his next job. Which will pay more money than he was on at BP.

Failure. A bitch isn’t it?

#NU10K
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,456
    rcs1000 said:

Unless it was Korean. In which case it's a juche fetish.
  • Options
    These type of attacks do not work when the Tories have been in power for 13 years.

Today Labour claimed to be the party of homeownership yet tomorrow they plan to vote down laws that would unlock 100k homes. Sir Keir is seeking to end the dream of homeownership for thousands of families by playing politics. Labour are the party of the blockers not the builders

https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1701671034720510103
  • Options

These type of attacks do not work when the Tories have been in power for 13 years.

Today Labour claimed to be the party of homeownership yet tomorrow they plan to vote down laws that would unlock 100k homes. Sir Keir is seeking to end the dream of homeownership for thousands of families by playing politics. Labour are the party of the blockers not the builders

https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1701671034720510103

No attack works after 13 years in power, with inflation high and an economy teetering upon recession

We should just be thankful Labour are led by Starmer, not Corbyn. As things stand if Corbyn was Labour leader, he’d have a real shot at winning in 2024
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,274

We are.
    @TSE was reduced to selling three houses he keeps part of his shoe collection in.

Have you no soul? No compassion?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,582
    I think the Tories will hold both. Tamworth is miles out of sight for Labour. And they will pay for their naivety in failing to make an arrangement with the Libs in Beds.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

We are.
    @TSE was reduced to selling three houses he keeps part of his shoe collection in.

Did you hear about the obsessive footwear thief?

He ran out of space for his booty.
  • Options

We are.

Cost of living crisis hit home last week, needed a new microwave, we bought a Panasonic one in 2015 and it cost £129.99.

Equivalent version today was £299.99
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,062
    Leon said:

Should this be a crime?

“Paedophiles using open source AI to create child sexual abuse content, says watchdog”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/12/paedophiles-using-open-source-ai-to-create-child-sexual-abuse-content-says-watchdog?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Clearly if they are taking real images of real people and manipulating them, that should be illegal. Predatory and invasive

But what if they are creating images ex nihilo? Of children that “do not exist”? Which are just pixels conjured by Dalle-3 or whatever?

I can see arguments both ways. On the bad side, this is material which may deprave and corrupt, on the other side, it seems insane to prosecute people for digital imaginings, and it is arguable that this might slake the perverse thirst of men who would otherwise commit real crimes against real people

Did the 'Tony The Tiger' case pass you by?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-wrongly-probed-tiger-porn-4521506

On the substantive point - it's only a matter of time until someone trains an 'AI' model/robot to 'be' a child that wants to be abused. Like a horrific version of the cow which wants to be eaten in Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. Then where are we at?
  • Options

We are.

Cost of living crisis hit home last week, needed a new microwave, we bought a Panasonic one in 2015 and it cost £129.99.

If it only lasted eight years I would have tried a different brand this time.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,062

We are.

One of my friends has a 'shoe room'. About the size of my sitting room. She has quite the collection.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

I am ambivalent about GSTH as the National Anthem - partly because of Billy Connolley's brulliant Archers Theme tune suggestion and partly because I love Jerusalem so am very biased in favour of it being the National Anthem.

However one thing I hope we can all agree on (don't laugh so hard please) is that the arrangment of GSTK used in recent years at the end of Last Night of the Proms is a turgid abomination that has no place outside of a requiem mass. If there ever was any life in the tune it is sucked competely dry by that version.
  • Options
    I agree with those predicting two Tory holds, for the reasons given.

It will be nice if I am totally wrong.
  • Options
    I reckon Festus starts ahead of your average byelection candidate

He must be very well known locally. He's already won the PCC election there and he's Britains first black PCC, which got him national coverage

I've just watched an interview he did with Beth Rigby a while back and he seems honest, intelligent and rightly motivated

I'd vote for him
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We are.

If it only lasted eight years I would have tried a different brand this time.
    Some idiot smashed the door against the wall.

Otherwise it wouldn't need replacing.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,386

No.

I'm all green on the mid-Beds market (unless the Indie wins), but the Tories should be favourites. Labour would probably take it if the Lib Dems hadn't gone for it as well, but as TSE implies the LibDem effort looks likely to mess up the tactical vote without actually breaking through. As things stand I'm guessing something like Con 35 Lab 30 LD 20, others 15. Another poll might change things, but probably not enough.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,032

Lots of themes get 'borrowed'. John Williams does this all the time, although mostly it is 'variations on a theme of' rather than outright stealing.

Eg King's Row (Korngold) -> Star Wars.
  • Options

I reckon Festus starts ahead of your average byelection candidate

He must be very well known locally. He's already won the PCC election there and he's Britains first black PCC, which got him national coverage

I've just watched an interview he did with Beth Rigby a while back and he seems honest, intelligent and rightly motivated

I'd vote for him

Being a well known PCC must be like being a sane civil servant at the DfE.

Odds are there are some around, but you would be hard pressed to name one.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,802

My goodness. Are they his daughters?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    AI software that translates words you speak, and ALSO changes your lip shape to make it look like you’re speaking Foreign

It is NOT live yet, but it can only be a few months before they do this in real time? Then that is not just Babel Fish, but actually far ahead of Babel Fish. Feckin ell

https://x.com/0xgaut/status/1701624127755337901?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,976
    Leon said:

Should this be a crime?

it is already a crime you can be prosecuted for example for a video showing sex with tony the tiger of frosties fame....hardly a real person. People have been
  • Options
    See Macquire is on and is being openly mocked

He should not be anywhere near playing for England or indeed Manchester United
  • Options
    When you go abroad, you will be able to hold your phonecamera up to people talking foreign languages, and the phone will show you a video of them talking credibly and authentically in English, as they talk

There really is no need to learn foreign languages, ever again, unless you like pointless academic tasks
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Should this be a crime?

On the substantive point - it's only a matter of time until someone trains an 'AI' model/robot to 'be' a child that wants to be abused. Like a horrific version of the cow which wants to be eaten in Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. Then where are we at?
    There are countless dizzying applications of AI which will transform the world - in good bad and totally effing scary ways
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Leon said:

When you go abroad, you will be able to hold your phonecamera up to people talking foreign languages, and the phone will show you a video of them talking credibly and authentically in English, as they talk

There really is no need to learn foreign languages, ever again, unless you like pointless academic tasks

Well, if you can make a living knapping flints there must be some niche for people who can speak rubbish however antiquated.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Should this be a crime?

There are countless dizzying applications of AI which will transform the world - in good bad and totally effing scary ways
    Only dizzying to you because you drank the coolaid and believe its ai when it really isnt
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,746
    Cookie said:

The lady in red looks ready to clock him one. Only sane one there.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Should this be a crime?

Only dizzying to you because you drank the coolaid and believe its ai when it really isnt
    You don’t have to believe it is actually AGI to understand that it is certain to change the world
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,751
    Leon said:

AI software that translates words you speak, and ALSO changes your lip shape to make it look like you’re speaking Foreign

It is NOT live yet, but it can only be a few months before they do this in real time? Then that is not just Babel Fish, but actually far ahead of Babel Fish. Feckin ell

Yes it's amazing. And I heard they are not far off releasing a contraption whereby you have one and your friend has one and you punch some numbers into it and then you can speak to your friend even though they are in another town and can't actually hear you without the contraption.

It's bonkers. The end of people speaking to each other in the same room.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Should this be a crime?

You don’t have to believe it is actually AGI to understand that it is certain to change the world
    It is clever but its not intelligent or sentient
  • Options

See Macquire is on and is being openly mocked

He should not be anywhere near playing for England or indeed Manchester United

Ha, he just scored an own goal! 2-1!
  • Options
    What did I say about Maguire
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Should this be a crime?

'Probed'? :open_mouth:

That sounds like an eye for an eye style of punishment.

The URL is even more disturbing: 'dad wrongly probed tiger - porn'
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Yes it's amazing. And I heard they are not far off releasing a contraption whereby you have one and your friend has one and you punch some numbers into it and then you can speak to your friend even though they are in another town and can't actually hear you without the contraption.

isn’t that just a phone? What am I missing?

EDIT: Ah, well done
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Should this be a crime?

It is clever but its not intelligent or sentient
    That’s not the argument here

The point is: HolyFuck, the world is on the edge of an epochal tech revolution, at least comparable to the Industrial Revolution, some would say more like the advent of fire or agriculture
  • Options

Dunno, but you were criticising come guy called Macquire ealier :wink:
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,166
    ohnotnow said:

We are.

One of my friends has a 'shoe room'. About the size of my sitting room. She has quite the collection.
    Oh! I’d always assumed @TSE was male!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,386
    Strange BT experience - they persuaded by to switch to EE (as they're phasing out their own mobile service, as far as I can make out), so they sent me a new router (works fine) and a new SIM card. I can now get and receive WhatsApp messages, but not phone calls on the mobile, or even normal texts - which means that none of the two-factor security things depending on getting a code to my phone work. Should I just wait patiently for a couple of days, or throw myself on the mercy of the BT helpline (which took 45 minutes to answer when I last used it)?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

The one in the centre might be his mother....
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Dunno, but you were criticising come guy called Macquire ealier :wink:
    Indeed my Scottish connection upset my spelling !!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,751
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

isn’t that just a phone? What am I missing?

EDIT: Ah, well done
    I think there will be amazing advances in everything including AI. I don't happen to think that people will be as transfixed by, for example, watching Titanic with all AI characters because imo a key ingredient in film and all the arts is the human input even if they're pretending to be someone else but there's no doubt that AI will transform our lives.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,960

Should I just wait patiently for a couple of days, or throw myself on the mercy of the BT helpline (which took 45 minutes to answer when I last used it)?

There is I think another completely separate EE helpline, which may be no better...
  • Options
    Kane! 3-1!
  • Options

Kane! 3-1!

All the glory should go to Bellingham though.
This discussion has been closed.