Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bad news for Liz Truss fans, all three of them – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

I feel like this article popped up in my recommendations due to visiting PB.

How truffle ruined absolutely everything

If I shut my eyes, I can remember a time when I’d order a plain pasta pomodoro and mac and cheese came just as it was. My chips were sprinkled only with a dash of flaky sea salt. A much simpler time.

A time before truffle.

Then, truffle took over, sending the London food scene into a state of mushroom-induced delirium. Now, seemingly every morsel on every menu is swimming in a thick pungent oil or is scattered with shavings of the crusty, nobbly little creatures. My TikTok For You Page is an explosion of sweaty cheese wheels and twirling forkfuls of truffley pastas. ‘You’ve got to try this new spot in Soho,’ an influencer’s voice proclaims. ‘We had the truffle fries, the truffle pasta and this incredible truffle cocktail with a truffle emulsion.’

https://www.timeout.com/london/food-restaurant-truffle-takeover?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb

Anyone giving an incorrect name for macaroni cheese should be taken out and shot.

Anyone using the phrase "food scene" should also be taken out and shot.

Not that I have anything against the author.
    I would force feed them egg and chips and post the pictures on all the pompous foodie blogs, as befits someone who eats a raincoat.
    Egg and chips might be the most perfect food. That or a cheese and tomato sandwich.
    No, cheese and tomato is just about the worst sandwich filling. The cheese acts as an impermeable membrane that becomes slimy from the tomato, which also makes the bread soggy. Tomato does not belong in a sandwich.
    You’re using the wrong tomato maybe. And possibly the wrong cheese. And bread

They are a delicious combination
    The only thing to go with cheese in a sandwich is pickle. Branston. Pan yan. Artisan chutney from a farmers' market. Any of those. But not tomato.

Between two slices of Mother's Pride.

If I could only eat one thing for all eternity, that would be it.
  • boulay said:

Good job Spain aren’t in the rugby World Cup - the choir singing their national anthem would be buggered as it has no lyrics. Maybe however silence would be better.

They seem to be doing the music as a capella - at least they did for Italy and Argentina
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,386
    FFS
  • Dirty Argies.

Definite red card.

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

If I shut my eyes, I can remember a time when I’d order a plain pasta pomodoro and mac and cheese came just as it was. My chips were sprinkled only with a dash of flaky sea salt. A much simpler time.

A time before truffle.

Then, truffle took over, sending the London food scene into a state of mushroom-induced delirium. Now, seemingly every morsel on every menu is swimming in a thick pungent oil or is scattered with shavings of the crusty, nobbly little creatures. My TikTok For You Page is an explosion of sweaty cheese wheels and twirling forkfuls of truffley pastas. ‘You’ve got to try this new spot in Soho,’ an influencer’s voice proclaims. ‘We had the truffle fries, the truffle pasta and this incredible truffle cocktail with a truffle emulsion.’

https://www.timeout.com/london/food-restaurant-truffle-takeover?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb

Anyone giving an incorrect name for macaroni cheese should be taken out and shot.

I would force feed them egg and chips and post the pictures on all the pompous foodie blogs, as befits someone who eats a raincoat.
    Egg and chips might be the most perfect food. That or a cheese and tomato sandwich.
    No, cheese and tomato is just about the worst sandwich filling. The cheese acts as an impermeable membrane that becomes slimy from the tomato, which also makes the bread soggy. Tomato does not belong in a sandwich.

The only thing to go with cheese in a sandwich is pickle. Branston. Pan yan. Artisan chutney from a farmers' market. Any of those. But not tomato.

Another from my weird croissant/sandwich weirdness is croissant with Brie, fig jam and prosciutto.
  • boulay said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

A time before truffle.

Another from my weird croissant/sandwich weirdness is croissant with Brie, fig jam and prosciutto.
    Beans on Naan, anyone?
  • TresTres Posts: 2,657
    I'm liking this new version of rugby where they take a random player off every 5 minutes.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,024
    At least it’ll also be a red for the argie
  • boulay said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

A time before truffle.

Cheese and fig jam. Oh, yes. We were introduced to this combo in Corsica some years back and have eulogised it ever since.
  • Tres said:

I'm liking this new version of rugby where they take a random player off every 5 minutes.

Take two off from each team and you've got the right number on the field.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,917

Leon said:

Leon said:

An interesting perspective as the ludicrous hype around UAPs and Washington starts to subside…

https://washingtonspectator.org/ufo-tales-falling-apart-after-hearings/

As I said all along.

The hype around UAPs might well be ludicrous and unfounded (tho then you have to explain why it is happening at all) but that’s a mad article from the “Washington Spectator” which sounds as loopy as any flying saucer spotter

Sample paragraph:

“Such Deep State victim claims, no matter how improbable, serve two related goals: a) they help advance far-right, paranoid, anti-government conspiracy beliefs that can potentially be harnessed by aspiring GOP authoritarians and b) fuel the notion among UFO acolytes that if the whistleblowers are in such danger, then their alien tales must be true.”

So, er, the whole UAP flap is being conjured up by secret Nazis in the Republican Party so incoming “authoritarians” can blah blah blah WTAF

Ignore

Why is it happening at all? Same as always, follow the money. There is cash to be made telling yarns.
    Obama? Christopher Mellon? Senator Marco
    Rubio? Lots of other senators? Various ex CIA, Navy, NASA bigwigs? Pilots? Astronauts?

They’re all in it for the money?

There is no evidence of anything. What is it that Obama said? What has Rubio actually seen?

Nothing. Nada. Zip. It’s all bullshit stories. Some may be misidentified things for sure, just as people think they see ghosts.

I think there is a similarity to the the Carl Beech/Tom Watson affair. Warsons parliamentary status helped give credence to Beech’s lies. We see similar in the US with UAPs.
    You’re not even trying to grasp what is going on. And how strange it is. This is not about the actual evidence “for UFOs” - what we have seen is crap. It’s the bizarrerie very high up in the American Establishment on all sides. And you haven’t begun to explain it. Nor has that nutter on the “Washington spectator” - he’s as mad as anyone

“A far right conspiracy to empower authoritarian republicans” - give me a break. This whole flap was kicked off by the New York Times. Those well known trumpites

If you’re relying on gibberish like this you should rethink your approach

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,669
    TimS said:

SandraMc said:

Re TimS: Guess where I am? ... In my back garden.

Looking good. I have some in my back garden too and they’re about 3 weeks ahead of the vineyard but a couple of Pinot bunches are starting to shrivel because I don’t spray the same toxic chemicals (organic, mind) as I do on the real thing.

What variety? Looks like a disease-resistant hybrid, possibly a North American variety like Concord?
    I’ve got grapes on mine this year, for the first time. When I get home they should be quite big.
  • At least it’ll also be a red for the argie

You reckon?
  • At least it’ll also be a red for the argie

World Rugby do their best to screw England.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,999
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

A time before truffle.

That's fine. Not making the bread soggy.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,669
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

Liz Truss = Margaret Thatcher

Who catalogues screenshots of someone’s posts? It’s kind of creepy.
    I have a Copydexed scrapbook of all your posts.
    Ii have a large pin board with many photographs all tied together with red thread, complete with notations saying "Aliens?", "Gobekli Tepe????" and "Micropenis????" in green highlighter. It all makes sense.
    As games of call my bluff go, that isn’t a particularly challenging trio
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,175

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

A time before truffle.

This is correct. But the tomato, the cheese and most of all the bread have to be right, as does any additional chutney etc. Sandwiches can be a food of the gods.

As it's still a slow Political betting day, I shall point out that according to the Guardian University Guide 2024, out today, Roehampton has the second best classics department in the country, beating Cambridge, St Andrew's and Durham. Make of this what you will. But Caveat emptor.
    Roehampton does not teach Classics sfaict from their web site.
    https://www.roehampton.ac.uk/
    A glance at one or two sites suggests it has recently closed. Maybe this tells you how well researched the Guardian league tables are? if it has closed, Cambridge can breath freely again. indeed, caveat emptor.
  • Scandalous decision by the TMO, they make VAR look good.

Bit early for infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it infamy and the rest of England?

Bit early for infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it infamy and the rest of England?
    I see your Scot Nat inferiority complex is showing again.

Flying through the air out of control and connecting at neck and head height is surely more reckless than connecting when both players on the ground in an inevitable collision?
    So bored of watching this shit England team trundle around the ground doing nothing

Year after year
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,497

Scandalous decision by the TMO, they make VAR look good.

At least England have had plenty of practice playing with 14.
  • A British parliamentary researcher has been arrested on suspicion of spying for China in what is alleged to be one of the most damaging breaches of security involving a hostile state at Westminster.

The male suspect, who is in his late twenties, is understood to be linked to a number of senior Tory MPs, including several who are privy to classified or highly sensitive information.

They include Tom Tugendhat, the security minister, and Alicia Kearns, the chairman of the Commons foreign affairs committee.

A senior Whitehall source claimed: “This is a major escalation by China. We have never seen anything like this before.”

Counterterrorism police swooped on the researcher and another man in his thirties on suspicion of espionage-related offences in March.

The researcher is a Briton who held a parliamentary pass and has worked with MPs on international policy, including relations with Beijing, for several years.

He previously spent time living and working in China, where security officials fear he may have been recruited as a sleeper agent and sent back to Britain with the intention of infiltrating political networks critical of the Beijing regime.

The researcher was arrested in Edinburgh and his London flat is thought to have been searched by police. The second suspect was arrested in Oxfordshire.

Scotland Yard said in a statement last night: “Officers from the Metropolitan Police arrested two men on March 13 on suspicion of offences under section one of the Official Secrets Act 1911.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-national-arrested-suspicion-china-spy-parliamentary-researcher-xrtbrw86m

I wonder if we are pretty corruptible, actually.

Plenty of people who have access to such information (security processes being as much process as actually effective) aren't paid particularly much and might have frustrated careers or poor relations with their seniors.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,122
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

A time before truffle.

This is correct. But the tomato, the cheese and most of all the bread have to be right, as does any additional chutney etc. Sandwiches can be a food of the gods.

As it's still a slow Political betting day, I shall point out that according to the Guardian University Guide 2024, out today, Roehampton has the second best classics department in the country, beating Cambridge, St Andrew's and Durham. Make of this what you will. But Caveat emptor.
    A glance at one or two sites suggests it has recently closed. Maybe this tells you how well researched the Guardian league tables are? if it has closed, Cambridge can breath freely again. indeed, caveat emptor.
    Pity. I was using the Guardian’s feature in a story I’m writing. Someone wants to go to a Uni where there might be royalty.

For an organisation trying to screw us over they sure gave us a decent World Cup draw
  • algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

A time before truffle.

So the only way you are better than the University of Cambridge is by lying.

'Twas ever thus.
  • Greatest drop goal since 2003.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,175

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

A time before truffle.

Pity. I was using the Guardian’s feature in a story I’m writing. Someone wants to go to a Uni where there might be royalty.
    Yes, a pity. It was a pleasing thought that Aeschylus was read and taught at a university I had never heard of, and that they did it better than Cambridge. But nothing really should qualify as a university in the western world (the clue is in the name) which does not teach each and every one of the foundations of western culture, science and thought.
    Leon said:

For an organisation trying to screw us over they sure gave us a decent World Cup draw
    They didn’t really do it arbitrarily - based on rankings so if you are shit when they do the draw it’s your fault. But maybe our reputation for reds has played against us - it’s often the case that a team in sports gets a reputation and so refs see malice where none exists.
    I fear England have the unfortunate combination of mediocre players and a fucking useless coaching team

Generally, teams with this complexion do not fare well
  • Greatest drop goal since 2003.

Now we get two of them.

Greatest drop goal since 2003.

Now we get two of them.
    I’m hoping we get the winning points from a drop goal attempt that gets tipped over the cross bar off a deflection from an Argentinian hand.
  • Is George Ford the secret love child of Jannie de Beer?
  • What's the record for most drop goals in a World Cup game?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,282

Now we get two of them.
    Three.
  • Anyhoo, it's coming home.

Jannie de Beer against England in 1999.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,872
    edited September 2023
    twistedfirestopper3 asked: "I've got to be honest, I got everything I know about Mexican politics front Narcos. Was it/is it as corrupt as portrayed? I think I remember a town mayor's head ending up on the side of the road a few years ago?"

Have to admit I had to look up "Narcos", but, yes, corruption is a serious problem in Mexico. And murders:
    'Mexico’s National Statistics Institute said there were 32,223 killings in 2022, 9.7% less than in 2021. The country’s homicide rate per 100,000 inhabitants dropped from about 28 in 2021 to 25 in 2022.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, who has struggled persistently with high homicide rates since he took office in December 2018, said the decline represented the results of his “hugs not bullets” policy of avoiding open confrontation with drug cartels, while funding training and scholarship programs for youths.'
    source: https://apnews.com/article/mexico-homicides-rate-violence-d0a9a83c3124b1f3ce0e8af6c9b8aa9f

(To be fair, both are probably worse in parts of Central America.)

FWIW, the cartels appear to be trying to avoid direct confrontations with the US. When some Americans looking for cheap plastic surgery were murdered by low-level cartel men, the higher-ups apologized and left the five (I think) tied up, by the side of a public road.

Ford could be on for that. It's very good tactics by England
    At last England showing that they are a quality side - with a genius coach
    dixiedean said:

Now we get two of them.
    Three.
    It’s a real Ford Fiesta down in Marseille tonight.
    Leon said:

At last England showing that they are a quality side - with a genius coach

It’s like having a baby - you don’t know what you will get but there will be highs and lows and then it will still look like Steve Borthwick.

Does needy self-reinforcement followed by paranoia then blustering triumphalism suggest an inferiority or superiority complex? At least it keeps us guessing.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,122

twistedfirestopper3 asked: "I've got to be honest, I got everything I know about Mexican politics front Narcos. Was it/is it as corrupt as portrayed? I think I remember a town mayor's head ending up on the side of the road a few years ago?"

Have to admit I had to look up "Narcos", but, yes, corruption is a serious problem in Mexico. And murders:
    'Mexico’s National Statistics Institute said there were 32,223 killings in 2022, 9.7% less than in 2021. The country’s homicide rate per 100,000 inhabitants dropped from about 28 in 2021 to 25 in 2022.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, who has struggled persistently with high homicide rates since he took office in December 2018, said the decline represented the results of his “hugs not bullets” policy of avoiding open confrontation with drug cartels, while funding training and scholarship programs for youths.'
    source: https://apnews.com/article/mexico-homicides-rate-violence-d0a9a83c3124b1f3ce0e8af6c9b8aa9f

(To be fair, both are probably worse in parts of Central America.)

FWIW, the cartels appear to be trying to avoid direct confrontations with the US. When some Americans looking for cheap plastic surgery were murdered by low-level cartel men, the higher-ups apologized and left the five (I think) tied up, by the side of a public road.

Read American Dirt by Janine Cummins. If that’s half true ……….
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 682
    edited September 2023

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

Rugby so far...
    Ireland and Italy as predicted.
    Australia Georgia much closer - as predicted.
    Now for Argentina England. My prediction Arg 21 Eng 15

You’re not Welsh by any chance are you? Think this could ba a very cagey affair.
    I am - but I am also an objective rugby supporter. It will be cagey and I stand with my prediction
    I remember your objective posts about the 2022 soccerball world cup.

You predicted Wales would win the group and England wouldn't get out of the group.
    To be fair - I never make objective football predictions - i dont know tte sport well enough. They were purely subjective and partisan. I am much more accurate with my rugby...albeit a bit partisan

Does needy self-reinforcement followed by paranoia then blustering triumphalism suggest an inferiority or superiority complex? At least it keeps us guessing.
    You don't do humour do you.
  • Leon said:

So bored of watching this shit England team trundle around the ground doing nothing

Year after year

Rugby = boring sport :lol:

I don't think there is much question who is the "superior" and the "inferior" in the Scotland v England psychodynamc. After all, you keep telling us HOW THE EVIL ENGLISH CONQUERED YOU AND COLONISE YOU AND "TOOK OOR OIL!" AND FORCE YOU TO LISTEN TO THE ARCHERS EVERY DAY FOR SIXTEEN HOURS

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,502
    A British parliamentary researcher has been arrested on suspicion of spying for China in what is alleged to be one of the most damaging breaches of security involving a hostile state at Westminster.

The male suspect, who is in his late twenties, is understood to be linked to a number of senior Tory MPs, including several who are privy to classified or highly sensitive information.

They include Tom Tugendhat, the security minister, and Alicia Kearns, the chairman of the Commons foreign affairs committee.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-national-arrested-suspicion-china-spy-parliamentary-researcher-xrtbrw86m

@aliciakearns
    I am aware of the Sunday Times report. I will not be commenting.

While I recognise the public interest, we all have a duty to ensure any work of the Authorities is not jeopardised.
    The English red card card was reckless - with lots of blood. The Argentinian card was clumsy with no real damage done. Looks right.

What's the record for most drop goals in a World Cup game?

It it clever in the circs. However we are still a man down and I fear the Argies will make this tell. We are gonna lose

My pre-match prediction was 19-16 to the Argies; I stand by that, as an approximation
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,968
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

An interesting perspective as the ludicrous hype around UAPs and Washington starts to subside…

As I said all along.

The hype around UAPs might well be ludicrous and unfounded (tho then you have to explain why it is happening at all) but that’s a mad article from the “Washington Spectator” which sounds as loopy as any flying saucer spotter

Sample paragraph:

“Such Deep State victim claims, no matter how improbable, serve two related goals: a) they help advance far-right, paranoid, anti-government conspiracy beliefs that can potentially be harnessed by aspiring GOP authoritarians and b) fuel the notion among UFO acolytes that if the whistleblowers are in such danger, then their alien tales must be true.”

So, er, the whole UAP flap is being conjured up by secret Nazis in the Republican Party so incoming “authoritarians” can blah blah blah WTAF

Ignore

Why is it happening at all? Same as always, follow the money. There is cash to be made telling yarns.
    Rubio? Lots of other senators? Various ex CIA, Navy, NASA bigwigs? Pilots? Astronauts?

There is no evidence of anything. What is it that Obama said? What has Rubio actually seen?

Nothing. Nada. Zip. It’s all bullshit stories. Some may be misidentified things for sure, just as people think they see ghosts.

I think there is a similarity to the the Carl Beech/Tom Watson affair. Warsons parliamentary status helped give credence to Beech’s lies. We see similar in the US with UAPs.
    You’re not even trying to grasp what is going on. And how strange it is. This is not about the actual evidence “for UFOs” - what we have seen is crap. It’s the bizarrerie very high up in the American Establishment on all sides. And you haven’t begun to explain it. Nor has that nutter on the “Washington spectator” - he’s as mad as anyone

“A far right conspiracy to empower authoritarian republicans” - give me a break. This whole flap was kicked off by the New York Times. Those well known trumpites

Nothing strange is going on, that’s the point. Some people telling tales, others believing them and a whole lot of people who (a) want to believe and/or (b) are just conspiracist nuts anyway.
    Leon said:

It it clever in the circs. However we are still a man down and I fear the Argies will make this tell. We are gonna lose

My pre-match prediction was 19-16 to the Argies; I stand by that, as an approximation
    you say 19-16. I say 20-15. FiGHT!!!

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

As I said all along.

Sample paragraph:

Ignore

Nothing strange is going on, that’s the point. Some people telling tales, others believing them and a whole lot of people who (a) want to believe and/or (b) are just conspiracist nuts anyway.
    Some reading:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/ufos-or-not-something-is-up/

For once, I agree with the conclusion of that raddled, alcoholic ex-PBer @SeanT in this article. These are the only explanations that cover all the bases

t"here are five main possible explanations, in descending order of probability.

1. The US establishment – Pentagon to press – is engaged in a complex cross-party conspiracy of psyops to unnerve and mystify America’s adversaries, especially the Chinese. Perhaps they want to convince them America possesses advanced alien technology, and America has been reverse engineering it for decades.

2. The US establishment has some incredible new military tech – something truly astonishing, like anti-gravity aircraft – and they’ve had it for ages, and they want to hide it from everyone: Americans as much as the Chinese.

3. The US establishment has gone collectively mad, or is suffering some mass hallucination, stemming from a few credulous individuals (a process known in psychology as ‘contagion’).

4. The US military/elite sincerely believes we are being visited by non human intelligence – but they’re wrong.

5. The US military/elite sincerely believes we are being visited by non human intelligence – and they are right. "
  • Leon said:

I think we will hold on by a small majority. Not like Rishi.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,719
    Evening all :)

It seems admirers of Liz Truss are heavily over-represented on PB and no doubt one or two brave individuals have played the "she wasn't all that bad" card.

In my usual tradition of running 24-36 hours behind the curve of the PB debate, a late nomination for "nice bits of England worth a look" - the Derwent Valley in Derbyshire. We visited Mrs Stodge's aunt near Belper today - that's a town which has improved.

We risked East Midlands Railways - good, punctual service, helpful staff but ruined by the complete failure to anticipate customer demand and provide suitable trains. Five coach trains on a hot September day - woefully inadequate. Not providing sufficient carriages and seats for demand compromises punctuality as it takes longer for people to get on and off the smaller number of open doors.

Fortunately, there's some proper sport around this weekend - day two of the Irish Champions Weekend at The Curragh tomorrow along with the Vermeille and the Arc Trials at Longchamp.

Leon said:

If we manage to win this, with a man down, then it will be a significant victory. and England can take some real encouragement. But it ain't gonna happen, I fear
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    edited September 2023
    I like @Leon and he has not been horrible to me.

And as I pointed out yesterday, he is in fact @IanB2's exceedingly well travelled dog.

Being horrible to a charming dog is a bit unkind. IMO.

PS sorry about the screenshot but don't know how to link to previous comments.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    Just noticed this photo of Liz Truss being told HMQ had died.

https://twitter.com/parsonsmedia/status/1700269094732521692/photo/1

Liz Truss's achievement was to prevent Boris Johnson leading the mourning.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

If we manage to win this, with a man down, then it will be a significant victory. and England can take some real encouragement. But it ain't gonna happen, I fear
    It can’t be 19-16 at least.
    England are benefiting from a highly erratic Argie team
    England winning this game will give them unwarranted hubris when they meet a real team
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It will.
    But I don't see France, Ireland, SA or NZ cacking themselves at this.
    edited September 2023
    Leon said:

England are benefiting from a highly erratic Argie team

Yes.
    They have been astonishingly poor.
    You don't need 15 men to beat a side who can't string three passes together.
  • Scott_xP said:

England winning this game will give them unwarranted hubris when they meet a real team

Nonsense, if England win this then this will the greatest English victory in France since Azincourt.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,595
    edited September 2023
    Scott_xP said:

I doubt you have ever played rugby and suggest from your comment that you know fuck all about it.
    Scott_xP said:

I think Argentina are a real team. Or is this match an AI thing? Argentina are just behind Scotland in the world rankings and likely to go further in the World Cup. So nice to see underdog England.

BTW is it arrogant England if they beat the team above them in the rankings or some other sort of inane chippy issue?
  • Scott_xP said:

A British parliamentary researcher has been arrested on suspicion of spying for China in what is alleged to be one of the most damaging breaches of security involving a hostile state at Westminster.

@aliciakearns
    I am aware of the Sunday Times report. I will not be commenting.

While I recognise the public interest, we all have a duty to ensure any work of the Authorities is not jeopardised.

TSE posted a fuller version earlier. Arrests in March so what's new?
    IF England win this, their price will collapse as WC winners

Remember: 16/1 at the beginning of the game
  • I am more confident on an ENG win now 👍
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,369
    Leon said:

Leon said:

As I said all along.

Sample paragraph:

Ignore

The US military spent a lot of money investigating psychic phenomena. Would they have done this if the paranormal is all a load of bunkum?
    Argentina are losing this game more than England are winning it
  • Scott_xP said:

Their heads have gone completely.
    edited September 2023
    21 pts to 3 = lol to the naysayers .. especially with England down to 14 men..
    Scott_xP said:

Utter rubbish. England's defence has been incredible tonight with a man down. Argentina have so far no more ideas. England have taken all points on offer and crucially not coughed up penalties themselves. Odd for a team with a red card but out penalty count must be tiny.
  • Scott_xP said:

Deary me. A team is only as good as the opposition let them be.

Scott_xP said:

Utter rubbish. England's defence has been incredible tonight with a man down. Argentina have so far no more ideas. England have taken all points on offer and crucially not coughed up penalties themselves. Odd for a team with a red card but out penalty count must be tiny.
    I am as critical as it is possible to be, of this England team, from coach to full back

But yes, this is highly impressive - in the circs. BUT, we have not won yet
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,400

Scott_xP said:

• Barnesian said:

Scott_xP said:

More succinctly put than me .
    Ford is having an immense game
    TAKE THE POINTS
  • As an ex-prop, I must applaud the England front row for absolutely understanding what they need to do in the circs, and doing it to the letter. They are mullering the Argentinian in t the set, and they're playing brilliantly in the loose. Exhilarating to watch.
  • 21 pts to 3 = lol to the naysayers .. especially with England down to 14 men..

Certainly validates folk like you who were bigging up England beforehand. Well done, you must have made a killing on the betting.
    Barnesian said:

England still have 15 men on the field. One of them is wearing yellow
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I am as critical as it is possible to be, of this England team, from coach to full back

But yes, this is highly impressive - in the circs. BUT, we have not won yet
    Starting to feel quite chipper about it now though...
  • Scott_xP said:

And?

Have you considered the lower ranked England haven't allowed Argentina to play well.

#PluckyUnderdogs
    Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Brilliant. Scot by name Scot by nature.
  • I haven't seen Argentina collapse this quickly since the Battle of Wireless Ridge.
  • Credit where credit is due. ENG have done well tonight. Still not sure we will get beyond QF though.
    Leon said:

IF England win this, their price will collapse as WC winners

Remember: 16/1 at the beginning of the game

It will.
    But it still doesn't make 16's value for me.

Credit where credit is due. ENG have done well tonight. Still not sure we will get beyond QF though.

Should make the semi - the draw is very kind
    edited September 2023
    Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Sometimes it better to.be silent. I suggest you follow this advice.
    And the ref comes to the rescue again...
  • Has a top - eight? - nation ever beaten another top eight nation playing a man down for over 70 minutes? I think England have this now, and it'll be an incredible win all things considered.
    I love Steve Borthwick.

• Scott_xP said:

By giving the correct decision.
  • Foxy said:

kle4 said:

A time before truffle.

Something we can agree on!
    Scott_xP said:

Are you actually TRYING to be a caricature of a churlish, chippy Scotsman? This is embarrassing

Just turn off the telly!
This discussion has been closed.