Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Another Commons by-election in the offing – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RAAC concrete issues close Cardiff's St David's Hall

Reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete (RAAC) is used in the roof of Cardiff's St David's Hall

A concert venue in the heart of Wales' capital has closed with immediate effect so checks can be carried out on concrete.

Cardiff council announced the decision to temporarily shut St David's Hall for at least four weeks.

It follows fears across the UK over buildings that contain Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC).

The council said the decision was made to close the building after discussions with independent structural engineers.

It was confirmed at the venue by the local authority earlier this week.

Those due to perform in the coming weeks include comedian Adrian Edmondson, singer Alfie Boe, 80s rock band Europe and Irish singer Daniel O'Donnell.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,951
    eek said:

The Media / powers that be are starting to see (and plot for) a Labour Government

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Sign of the times.....

The Spectator will be holding a party at the Labour Party conference for the first time in a generation, if I recall correctly....

Leon will be able to report back
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,917

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hereford is in an absolutely shocking state. Like a rural town in Pennsylvania

At least a third of the town centre properties are empty. Streets are deserted in areas. Sense of real deprivation. And this is in bright warm sun

I was here in feb 2022 and it felt bustling - in the cold. What has happened in the intervening year and a half? Covid belatedly impacting? Inflation?

It feels almost random. Ludlow is doing OK. Shrewsbury is thriving and crowded. Hereford is fucked

🤷‍♂️

Maybe everyone's at work?
    No. This is weird, and sad

This is High Town, the premier retail street. Empty empty empty

The guy at Tanners wine merchant (based in thriving Shrewsbury, but which branches all down the Marches) warned me that Hereford is looking bad. He was right

@BartholomewRoberts will be pleased to hear that James Tanner has a theory for the apparent random declines. He says they’re not random - he reckons towns which heavily pedestrianised (Hereford) are now suffering badly cause covid made people lazy and they can’t be bothered to walk into town centres. If they can drive they come

I don’t believe it: I’m sure there is something else at work. There is plenty of parking in Hereford. But that’s the opinion of a retailer/merchant

Looks like a lot of town/city centres I know. Basically, people don't go to the town centre to do regular shopping anymore. If you've got nothing else to bring people in, then you're screwed. Places that are doing well have something else going on. Almost by definition that something else is hard to replicate and will be less ubiquitous than shopping. Hence a lot of areas doing badly, a few areas doing well.
    To do well you need to have at least one of the following imho:

Beautiful historical centre or some other big tourist draw

High population density with a lot of young families to guarantee footfall

A lot of wealthy people, ideally retirees with time on their hands

A lot of students

A concentration of independent shops that have created a sustainable ecosystem of demand.

If you haven't got any of these and can't find a way of getting them, just give up. Convert the area to housing, we need housing. We don't need street furniture and charity shops.
    Lots of reasons why some places are fine and others not. Recently was in N Devon - Barnstaple is fine, shops filled, busy etc. Bideford (8 miles to the west) and Ilfracombe (10 to the north) much less so. It seems likely that businesses will rather go to the successful place, rather than the more run down ones, and its self reinforcing.
    Happily, Ilfracombe did look a bit better than this time last year, so all hope is not lost.
    It's probably just a coincidence that Barnstable has a rail service but Ilfracombe or Bideford don't.
  • Options

I'm sulking that no one spotted my witty Bath puns at 2:52pm, just saying.

I did, but I thought it a bit late to comment as it was water under the bridge by the time I read it.

Anyway, nice of you to shower us with humour.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

At least a third of the town centre properties are empty. Streets are deserted in areas. Sense of real deprivation. And this is in bright warm sun

I was here in feb 2022 and it felt bustling - in the cold. What has happened in the intervening year and a half? Covid belatedly impacting? Inflation?

It feels almost random. Ludlow is doing OK. Shrewsbury is thriving and crowded. Hereford is fucked

🤷‍♂️

The guy at Tanners wine merchant (based in thriving Shrewsbury, but which branches all down the Marches) warned me that Hereford is looking bad. He was right

@BartholomewRoberts will be pleased to hear that James Tanner has a theory for the apparent random declines. He says they’re not random - he reckons towns which heavily pedestrianised (Hereford) are now suffering badly cause covid made people lazy and they can’t be bothered to walk into town centres. If they can drive they come

I don’t believe it: I’m sure there is something else at work. There is plenty of parking in Hereford. But that’s the opinion of a retailer/merchant

My observations of Canterbury and Ashford would not support the “pedestrianisation” theory. Canterbury, pedestrianised for 40 years, is doing better in every conceivable metric over Ashford. It’s tourists and students that tip the balance.
    Yes. Hereford could really use a university
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

🤷‍♂️

Oh. Now you've noticed. Now go to Stoke. Newport. Middlesbrough. Bognor. Southend. Enough of this artisanal Michael Portillo rubbish. Go somewhere crap.
    Stop moaning like a tuppeny brass. I go where my work takes me, and honestly report what I see. You are free to ignore it

As a matter of interest, does your work take you to Middlesbrough or Stoke, ever?
    Been to both! Stoke's train station not bad all :)
    Railway station.

I should report you to the Rail Forums moderators for use of inappropriate language.
    I always say 'train station' due to my wife mocking my pronunciation of railway :cry: :

Apparently my southern accent makes it 'rarlway'
    You can always console yourself with a larte while waiting for your train.
    ...awaiting one's train.
  • Options

Reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete (RAAC) is used in the roof of Cardiff's St David's Hall

A concert venue in the heart of Wales' capital has closed with immediate effect so checks can be carried out on concrete.

Cardiff council announced the decision to temporarily shut St David's Hall for at least four weeks.

It follows fears across the UK over buildings that contain Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC).

The council said the decision was made to close the building after discussions with independent structural engineers.

Those due to perform in the coming weeks include comedian Adrian Edmondson, singer Alfie Boe, 80s rock band Europe and Irish singer Daniel O'Donnell.

Be a shame if such a paragon of late brutalism had to come down. Every cloud...
  • Options

Those structural engineers are loving this.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/07/woking-plans-to-cut-funds-for-care-arts-sports-and-toilets-to-plug-deficit

How can any such cuts ever recover £1.2bn?

How can one community be expected to endure 30 years of zero leisure services to pay for the crackpot decisions of a group of Tory councillors?

Central Government will have to step in. While they're at it set some firm rules about what councils are and are not allowed to do financially. And place get-rich-quick speculation on the 'Not' list.

It is not just conservative councils as the Guardian explains in that article

We have been living beyond our means for a very long time:-

Birmingham city council, the largest local authority in the UK, became the latest to issue such a notice this week, blaming a £760m bill for equal pay claims, problems installing a new IT system and £1bn in government cuts over the past decade.

Senior Tories have attempted to capitalise on the Labour-run authority’s meltdown, with the party chair, Greg Hands, suggesting it showed Keir Starmer’s party could not be trusted with the national finances.

However, councils from across the political divide are increasingly sounding the alarm over their finances, after years of cuts to central government funding, soaring inflation, and rising demand amid the cost of living crisis.

Others to issue section 114 notices in the past couple of years include Conservative-run Northamptonshire and Thurrock, alongside Labour-run Slough and Nottingham. At least 26 English local authorities are thought to be at risk of issuing a section 114 notice within the next two years.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,542

Acts so impressive, that any one of them could have brought the house down.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,472
    edited September 2023

Those structural engineers are loving this.
    They may well be, but this has some very serious consequences across the whole of the UK

A hospital in North Wales has identified RAAC after 2 schools closed yesterday

RAAC concrete found at North Wales hospital

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/section-north-wales-hospital-closed-27662669#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options
    Anecdote time:

We went to Manchester yesterday. Early afternoon, outside tables thronged with people eating and drinking and enjoying the weather.

So why weren't all these bloody slackers at work?

But House of Fraser was deserted.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,147

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/07/woking-plans-to-cut-funds-for-care-arts-sports-and-toilets-to-plug-deficit

How can one community be expected to endure 30 years of zero leisure services to pay for the crackpot decisions of a group of Tory councillors?

Central Government will have to step in. While they're at it set some firm rules about what councils are and are not allowed to do financially. And place get-rich-quick speculation on the 'Not' list.

Birmingham city council, the largest local authority in the UK, became the latest to issue such a notice this week, blaming a £760m bill for equal pay claims, problems installing a new IT system and £1bn in government cuts over the past decade.

Senior Tories have attempted to capitalise on the Labour-run authority’s meltdown, with the party chair, Greg Hands, suggesting it showed Keir Starmer’s party could not be trusted with the national finances.

However, councils from across the political divide are increasingly sounding the alarm over their finances, after years of cuts to central government funding, soaring inflation, and rising demand amid the cost of living crisis.

Others to issue section 114 notices in the past couple of years include Conservative-run Northamptonshire and Thurrock, alongside Labour-run Slough and Nottingham. At least 26 English local authorities are thought to be at risk of issuing a section 114 notice within the next two years.
    It's way more than 26 councils - the 26 number comes from those complaining - many others are just keeping quiet and praying something changes...
  • Options

I accept that it's all parties. The culture: not really enough funding, cutting financial red-tape, all coupled with a deluded belief that councils are clever enough to out-speculate speculators, has been at fault.

One thing most on here seem to agree on is that the UK has been living beyond its finances for many years. So, are we going to have ever crappier public services and a race toward third-world standards, or are we going to face facts and recognise that good public services cost money, and yes that means more taxes?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,534
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Doing the thread bottom up I've just come across a post extoling at considerable length the merits of driving as a mode of transport. Playing a little game with myself I tried to guess who it was from before getting to the top of it where the name appears. I guessed Bartholomew Roberts. Spot on!

In all fairness, we all have our hobbyhorses and stylistic quirks. I reckon you can tell most posters by their 'voice'.

Anyway, his point wasn't wrong. For families - certainly families with young children - driving is generally the easiest and cheapest way of getting about.
    Doesn't necessarily make for a good quality of place, but that isn't the point he was making.

I remember the first time driving *wasn't* the easiest mode for my family. It was the Greater Manchester Marathon, and the roads around my way had been shut. My kids were roughly 8, 6 and 3. They were old enough that at least the oldest two were perfectly capable of walking the mile or so to the nearest town centre - and indeed in was much more pleasant, and actually no slower than the usual drive, to do so. There was no need to repeatedly shepherd them over side roads where cars might be. I had to pop back later, and used my bike, and again, it was uncommonly pleasant. I briefly wondered about the practicality of a permanent solution. It wouldn't have been any good for going anywhere further afield, of course (apart from anywhere on the tram line). But my quality of life was increased for that day, under those special circumstances.

The trick is to get that quality of life without killing the ability of people to get around. Which, sadly, is almost impossible to do. Doesn't mean there aren't some wins to be had, however.
    Oh indeed. And it's a funny one. I'm often struck by the absurdity of cars yet I like having and driving one.

Re people's 'voice', yes, I somewhat tragically am able to pinpoint every single regular poster from just a couple of sentences.
  • Options
    eek said:

It's way more than 26 councils - the 26 number comes from those complaining - many others are just keeping quiet and praying something changes...
    I am sure you are right but that is the Guardian's take on it
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,542

Nigel Foremain was making hay over Labour's economic chaos in Birmingham l, although as Foxy pointed out, the equal pay issue that required the section 114 notice was a legacy issue from the Con/ LD years

To be honest (and I know the above paragraph is an anti Tory dig) some of the most vulnerable children in our society will be the individual to suffer most in this crisis. So party politics is best left out of this.
  • Options

I accept that it's all parties. The culture: not really enough funding, cutting financial red-tape, all coupled with a deluded belief that councils are clever enough to out-speculate speculators, has been at fault.

One thing most on here seem to agree on is that the UK has been living beyond its finances for many years. So, are we going to have ever crappier public services and a race toward third-world standards, or are we going to face facts and recognise that good public services cost money, and yes that means more taxes?
    I agree, and the scale of the problem is simply not being admitted by politicians as the decisions needed will not be popular at all

The triple lock has to go (and I do benefit from it) and some form of wealth tax is needed

The football transfers have just cost in excess of £2.5 billion, so how about a 50% tax on all transfer fees for a starter
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,098
    The problem with pedestrianisation is we have reached the end of a vicious cycle of car dependency that is very hard to break. Examples:

Walking into town is often deeply unpleasant, crossing busy roads and 70s dual carriageways.

Shopping areas are low density due to the number of car parks, so it takes ages to walk between shops.

The bus to the town centre gets caught up in loads of car traffic.

A one or two mile walk is now unachievable for large parts of the population given our exceptionally high obesity rates. Which, in turn, are partly a result of car dependency.

Simply pedestrianising your high street isn't enough. It needs to be part of a package of interventions, including park and ride, 15 minute buses and 24/7 bus lanes, bus gates, safe arterial walking and cycling routes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,295
    (Sorry to be a pedant, but Germany had 244,132 asylum applications last year. It is on track to see asylum applications rise 77% this year, if current trends continue.)
  • Options

Nigel Foremain was making hay over Labour's economic chaos in Birmingham l, although as Foxy pointed out, the equal pay issue that required the section 114 notice was a legacy issue from the Con/ LD years

To be honest (and I know the above paragraph is an anti Tory dig) some of the most vulnerable children in our society will be the individual to suffer most in this crisis. So party politics is best left out of this.
    It would be refreshing if the politicians could grow up and come together but unfortunately I just do not see it
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,463

Anecdote time:

We went to Manchester yesterday. Early afternoon, outside tables thronged with people eating and drinking and enjoying the weather.

So why weren't all these bloody slackers at work?

But House of Fraser was deserted.

All working from home !!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

The Media / powers that be are starting to see (and plot for) a Labour Government

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Sign of the times.....

The Spectator will be holding a party at the Labour Party conference for the first time in a generation, if I recall correctly....

I've put up with a lot from Starmer since he decided to win the next election instead of having principles but there's a limit and this is it. Off to get my membership card and some scissors.
    Hold fire and see which Labourites attend. In fact we could have a sweepstake..

I’m claiming Wes.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Labour needs to get close, at least

Meanwhile the dog is happy to make his first visit to the country of his mother's birth (bridge for scale)

Rather a lot of 'big yellow taxis'. Is there a mental health crisis?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Eabhal said:

The problem with pedestrianisation is we have reached the end of a vicious cycle of car dependency that is very hard to break. Examples:

Walking into town is often deeply unpleasant, crossing busy roads and 70s dual carriageways.

Shopping areas are low density due to the number of car parks, so it takes ages to walk between shops.

A one or two mile walk is now unachievable for large parts of the population given our exceptionally high obesity rates. Which, in turn, are partly a result of car dependency.

Simply pedestrianising your high street isn't enough. It needs to be part of a package of interventions, including park and ride, 15 minute buses and 24/7 bus lanes, bus gates, safe arterial walking and cycling routes.

There are 10 homes in our cul de sac, 6 with retirees, (one this year) and 4 families, 2 with young children

There are 18 cars, indeed 19 until my wife gave up her car last year due to a serious shoulder issue.

And this is not unique, my daughters cul de sac has a similar ratio of homes and cars as does my sons family

You are entitled to your view, and of course it is from your perception, but it is not going to happen where we live here in North Wales
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

🤷‍♂️

My observations of Canterbury and Ashford would not support the “pedestrianisation” theory. Canterbury, pedestrianised for 40 years, is doing better in every conceivable metric over Ashford. It’s tourists and students that tip the balance.
    We have been in Ashford all week and it is an excellent base but the town itself is nothing to write home about. Canterbury was buzzing even although I am not sure the students are all back yet. They have 4 universities in a modest town and our tour guide confirmed education is the biggest employer in town. He was superb by the way, breaking into Chaucer at appropriate points. Huge numbers of cafes and restaurants which seemed to be thriving.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839

Eabhal said:

There are 10 homes in our cul de sac, 6 with retirees, (one this year) and 4 families, 2 with young children

There are 18 cars, indeed 19 until my wife gave up her car last year due to a serious shoulder issue.

And this is not unique, my daughters cul de sac has a similar ratio of homes and cars as does my sons family

You are entitled to your view, and of course it is from your perception, but it is not going to happen where we live here in North Wales
    cul de sac --> dead end
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end
    My wife and I keep taking our pills hoping we can defer that as long as possible

We have lived in our present home for 47 years, raising our three children, and it is very much the family home
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end
    My wife and I keep taking our pills hoping we can defer that as long as possible

We have lived in our present home for 47 years, raising our three children, and it is very much the family home
    Not a comment on you and yours; lang may yer lum reek.

Just me subverting the words you used. Cul de sac sounds so nice and middle class, but dead end sounds like a sink estate. I'm picturing you in a council house with a rusting Hillman Avenger in your front garden.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

I'm just not sure why anything Eabhal suggests would have an impact on ability to park in a cul de sac. Cul de sacs are basically the last place anyone is interested in touching in terms of traffic changes - they aren't through roads and are basically used exclusively by the residents and those servicing them through deliveries etc.

Maybe you have a point, but it's rather unclear to me at least what it actually is.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,163

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

It's not always a good thing to stay in a house when one (or both of you) are past 70. Especially if the bedrooms and bathroom/toilet are upstairs!
    When we retired we moved to a bungalow and now I'm very glad we did!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Meanwhile the dog is happy to make his first visit to the country of his mother's birth (bridge for scale)

I'm starting to think that your exceedingly well travelled dog is in fact @Leon.

And that he has someone recounting @Leon's adventures (not all of which are true, obviously).

It would explain @Leon's breathless excitement, sexually incontinent talk, hatred of cats (cleverly masquerading as a worry about pets & climate change), determination to make himself the centre of attention & love of eating.

I'm right, aren't I?

PS Mods: doxing someone as a dog is OK, isn't it?
    If this conversation goes into collars and leashes, I'm out
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

Just me subverting the words you used. Cul de sac sounds so nice and middle class, but dead end sounds like a sink estate. I'm picturing you in a council house with a rusting Hillman Avenger in your front garden.
    The odd thing about cul de sac is that the French don't say it. To them it just means 'the bottom of a bag' (or worse).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,627
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

I'm starting to think that your exceedingly well travelled dog is in fact @Leon.

And that he has someone recounting @Leon's adventures (not all of which are true, obviously).

It would explain @Leon's breathless excitement, sexually incontinent talk, hatred of cats (cleverly masquerading as a worry about pets & climate change), determination to make himself the centre of attention & love of eating.

I'm right, aren't I?

I"ve just been to drop off my accounts for my first year's full trading as a tutor.

My accountant's dog was certainly determined to make herself the centre of attention. She nearly knocked me over with the enthusiasm of her welcome.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

It's not always a good thing to stay in a house when one (or both of you) are past 70. Especially if the bedrooms and bathroom/toilet are upstairs!
    We have not considered moving not least because the family are close by and it is home to them

Indeed it is possible one of them will buy it from our estate

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,978
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

With appropriate connections for walking, wheeling and cycling cul-de-sacs don't need to be dead ends !
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,460
    DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

🤷‍♂️

We have been in Ashford all week and it is an excellent base but the town itself is nothing to write home about. Canterbury was buzzing even although I am not sure the students are all back yet. They have 4 universities in a modest town and our tour guide confirmed education is the biggest employer in town. He was superb by the way, breaking into Chaucer at appropriate points. Huge numbers of cafes and restaurants which seemed to be thriving.
    A modest TOWN????!!!??? The locals will have you run out of it if you refer to Canterbury as anything less than a City. Henry VIII’s goons may well have permanently stunted its growth by destroying its main tourist (“pilgrimage”) attraction in September 1538 but damned if you’re taking away our City status. We’re not Rochester.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

I have done the opposite. Moved to a hill and a house with stairs and garden on lots of different levels precisely in order to have to do lots of exercise good for the heart just to get around the place!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

I'm right, aren't I?

It's when somebody doxxes Karma and reveals she's a bitch that we'll need to worry.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

I'm right, aren't I?

Are we resuscitating the career of Liz Truss?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

I'm right, aren't I?

Are resuscitating the career of Liz Truss.
    Lettuce hope not.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

I'm right, aren't I?

Honi soit qui mal y pense.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

I'm just not sure why anything Eabhal suggests would have an impact on ability to park in a cul de sac. Cul de sacs are basically the last place anyone is interested in touching in terms of traffic changes - they aren't through roads and are basically used exclusively by the residents and those servicing them through deliveries etc.

Maybe you have a point, but it's rather unclear to me at least what it actually is.
    The point is the car is used for most every manner of things including going into town and the school runs

There is no indication the convenience of the car is going to change
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

I know and we do have a comfortable life style

We are very fortunate
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

We have not considered moving not least because the family are close by and it is home to them

I sincerely hope neither of you will find yourselves in the position I am. There is no way, for example, I could face even a short set of stairs.
  • Options

My girlfriend left me because she was fed up of my pen related puns.

Bye Rose.

Are you trying to be a fountain of wit?
  • Options

Bye Rose.

The pen is mightier than the sword.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

I sincerely hope neither of you will find yourselves in the position I am. There is no way, for example, I could face even a short set of stairs.
    I understand that and can only send you my heart-felt best wishes

If either of us could not go upstairs we would alter our ground floor accordingly
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

The point is the car is used for most every manner of things including going into town and the school runs

There is no indication the convenience of the car is going to change
    Isn't Eabhal's suggestion that the balance of that changes if you introduce measures to make cycling, walking and going by bus more attractive and, bluntly, car use less so? That seems uncontroversial and not necessarily a bad thing.

I'd also note that car ownership and car use are not the same thing. Most people who use a car also use other modes of transport (bikes, buses, good old-fashioned legs) for certain purposes. It's perfectly conceivable that your cul de sac could continue to have just as many cars as it does now, but with fewer car journeys being made.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Sign of the times.....

I've put up with a lot from Starmer since he decided to win the next election instead of having principles but there's a limit and this is it. Off to get my membership card and some scissors.

I’m claiming Wes.
    Cheating - that's a cert.

Tell you who won't be there though - the great Ed Miliband. Ageing beautifully in every way. They say you get the face you deserve at 50 and boy is that the case here. Still in the Shad Cab. The Keeper of the Flame.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,137
    eek said:

Definitely - the ones who have really hit the headlines like Thurrock are clearly just epically mismanaged, but many more are scraping past needing to issue a notice.

The government clearly knows this, hence why it has used various different means over the last five years or so to get around the referendum limit on council tax rises (temporary extention, counting a levy for adult social care separately etc), but there's no popularity in more money for local councils (even though they have cut an awful lot over the last decade, more than many other areas), so they just keep applying temporary solutions.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

🤷‍♂️

A modest TOWN????!!!??? The locals will have you run out of it if you refer to Canterbury as anything less than a City. Henry VIII’s goons may well have permanently stunted its growth by destroying its main tourist (“pilgrimage”) attraction in September 1538 but damned if you’re taking away our City status. We’re not Rochester.
    Yes, Brexit 1 had a major negative impact on Canterbury as we heard. IT’s population fell to 3k which is not much of a city. Even now it seems a very pleasant place, compact and comfortable. I really liked it.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

🤷‍♂️

I love that they lost their city status due to bureaucratic oversight. It's so British.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

With appropriate connections for walking, wheeling and cycling cul-de-sacs don't need to be dead ends !
    Isn't it culls de sac?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

We're ahead of the game. Moved to a bungalow in our 50s. Future proofed.

No upstairs is no loss.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Bye Rose.

Whilst most puns make me feel numb mathematical puns make me feel number.
  • Options
    I'm always fascinated by other people's limits on using their car. I have a neighbour who will, no lie, drive 150 metres to the shop to buy a pack of fags. I think that's absurd. He's not got any mobility problems.
    Then again, in another place, I would get told off by a green friend for regularly driving ~1.5km to get my weekly shopping when there was a perfectly good cycle path. She thought I ought to make several smaller trips and save the fuel. I think she had a point but I didn't think so at the time.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

Yes my parents could so do with a bungalow now. Very hard to leave a house you've lived in for 50 years though. I've just moved after 17 years and that was a wrench.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Bye Rose.

Whilst most puns make me feel numb mathematical puns make me feel number.
    That's always a bad sin.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Sign of the times.....

I’m claiming Wes.
    They say you get the face you deserve at 50
    That sounds like an old wive's tale to mollify people under 50 without the face they would like. But I hold out hope, wait for my update in 13 years.
  • Options
    How would Red Wall voters vote in a referendum regarding whether the United Kingdom should or should not commit to achieving net zero by 2050? (3 September)

Should commit 64%
    Should NOT commit 22%

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1699814786341752994
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

No upstairs is no loss.
    Upstairs is quite nice at this moment. Cooler than downstairs, with all the windows open behind the curtains and a refreshing breeze coming through.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

No upstairs is no loss.
    Very wise. Although my mother, in her nineties, hated living a bungalow. Made one lazy, she said.
    And she died after falling downstairs in the care home in which she lived, because she wouldn't use the lift.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

cul de sac --> dead end

Yes my parents could so do with a bungalow now. Very hard to leave a house you've lived in for 50 years though. I've just moved after 17 years and that was a wrench.
    The week my father died I had been making arrangements to convert one of the downstairs rooms into a bedroom because my sister and I were getting more and more worried he would fall down the stairs.

As it happens, I think those last few weeks he had been sleeping on the settee anyway (without telling us) as he'd come to the same conclusion himself.
  • Options
    On topic, compare and contrast with the SNP's groper Patrick Grady.

The SNP have fewer morals than the Tories, let that sink in.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I think Labour need to do more than get close, really, as a miss is as good as a mile with this sort of thing. If the Tories hold it, they can chalk it up as a win - no doubt the Labour bod on the election night special will say "we did jolly well to get within 2,000 votes..." but the headline is "Tory win".

Not saying they can't lose Tamworth and win a General Election, just that in terms of how the result of a by-election will be perceived by the media and public only two results are possible - Labour Win or Tory Win.

18 months or two years ago, that wouldn't have been the case - people wouldn't really have been expecting a Labour gain in this seat. But consistently good polling and Selby sets the expectations bar higher. It's like if the Lib Dems had failed to take Tiverton or Somerton having grabbed harder seats in Chesham and Shropshire. It might be a bit unfair, but close but no cigar when expectations are high is likely to be written up as a fail.
  • Options

How would Red Wall voters vote in a referendum regarding whether the United Kingdom should or should not commit to achieving net zero by 2050? (3 September)

Should commit 64%
    Should NOT commit 22%

And even those Conservative figures; blimey.

Why don't Conservative Thought Leaders (stop sniggering) see this?
  • Options

On topic, compare and contrast with the SNP's groper Patrick Grady.

The SNP have fewer morals than the Tories, let that sink in.

The Nasty Party and the Natsier Party?
  • Options

Should commit 64%
    Should NOT commit 22%

Buggers have got lots of leaders. They're struggling a bit to get the other 50%.
  • Options

Should commit 64%
    Should NOT commit 22%

Isn't their argument that the CONCEPT of Net Zero appeals to people but the practical measures needed to achieve it aren't?

There are quite a lot of things in life where people want the destination but don't want the journey. That's human nature for you.
  • Options

Should commit 64%
    Should NOT commit 22%

It's not unheard of in Tory circles, though not always well received. See this piece from a council leader in ConHome after the locals

Poll after poll shows a vanishingly small fraction of voters want us to abandon the Conservative government’s world-leading climate goals. This doesn’t mean we should ignore those with concerns about the journey to Net Zero. We must take the public with us at every stage. But it does mean that as well as being the wrong thing to do, there is absolutely no chance of building an electoral coalition, locally or nationally, based on reneging our commitment to Net Zero. Net Zero is not a poison dart, and ditching it is not a silver bullet

https://conservativehome.com/2023/07/10/richard-clewer-net-zero-wasnt-to-blame-for-our-local-election-losses/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Sign of the times.....

I’m claiming Wes.
    That sounds like an old wive's tale to mollify people under 50 without the face they would like. But I hold out hope, wait for my update in 13 years.
    Gosh you're not much older than my son. Yet you show me no deference at all. Something wrong there methinks.
  • Options

Should commit 64%
    Should NOT commit 22%

Isn't their argument that the CONCEPT of Net Zero appeals to people but the practical measures needed to achieve it aren't?

There are quite a lot of things in life where people want the destination but don't want the journey. That's human nature for you.
    In part that is true, and that polling question is what I would call pretty fluffy as it comes down to 'would you like to do good thing x'? But I would suggest it still shows that convincing people that the party is against net zero specifics because of practicalities, and not just against net zero in reactionary fashion, will not be easy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Sign of the times.....

I’m claiming Wes.
    Gosh you're not much older than my son. Yet you show me no deference at all. Something wrong there methinks.
    I blame my parents for raising me wrong.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,738

Should commit 64%
    Should NOT commit 22%

It seems to me that the relevant element here is the date - 2050 - which means that the responder need make no difficult, demanding, complicated or expensive step either right now or indeed in the next few years as a result of their opinion.

The reality is that no-one has a clue what 2050 will be like or what its needs will be. However on current trajectories - and there is no sign they will change - there is not the tiniest chance of the globe achieving net zero by then, unless there were a gigantic global scale capture from the atmosphere involving a scale up of monumental proportions.
  • Options
    Captain Sir Tom Moore’s daughter has received more than £150,000 from the charity set up in her father’s name, the latest accounts reveal.

The Captain Tom Foundation, which has stopped taking donations amid controversy over its links to Hannah Ingram-Moore and her family companies, has continued paying her thousands despite the scandal.

Since the foundation started in May 2020 it has paid just over £152,000 to Mrs Ingram-Moore and companies she controls along with her husband Colin, who is also a trustee of the charity.

Over the same period the charity has given out only £370,000 to charity.

The payments include almost £25,000 in office costs to Maytrix Group Limited in the last financial year, a company owned by the couple. The rent payments have continued while the charity is under investigation by the regulator.

The charity blamed the regulator’s inquiry for a drop in the donations that they have received, which fell from just over £1 million in the year to May 2021 to almost £400,000 in the 18 months from June 2021 to November 2022.

The trustees said that the intervention of the Charity Commission, which opened a regulatory inquiry in March 2022 and then a statutory inquiry in June 2022, has had a “massive adverse impact”.

The money comes on top of the thousands that Mrs Ingram-Moore was paid via the family company in relation to appearances at an awards ceremony bearing the charity name.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/07/captain-sir-tom-moore-daughter-received-more-than-150000/
  • Options

Bye Rose.

You won't find a better Parker.
  • Options
    Ugh.

Manchester United deny Antony ‘cover-up’ after ex-girlfriend makes club doctor allegation

Cavallin's lawyer claims United tried to conceal the alleged incident by calling a doctor to treat her so that she would not attend hospital

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/07/man-utd-deny-antony-cover-up-ex-girlfriend-club-doctor/
  • Options

Bye Rose.

Just when you thought she'd found Mr Write
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,098

Eabhal said:

Sounds like you live in an LTN, so are largely protected from through traffic. I'm envious!

I'm from rural Scotland so understand your position. Here, cars will always be king and the current tax system on motoring massively depresses economic activity. But we represent only a small proportion of the population (around 20%).

None of the measures I've suggested would significantly reduce the number of households with access to a car outwith major cities. It would probably only have a marginal impact on total miles driven too.

What they would do is reduce congestion and parking space in our towns and cities , opening them up for commercial activity and a more attractive public realm. People would be healthier and safer, and poorer people who can't afford to run a car would see their accessibility to services increase.
  • Options
    Chester City supporters taunted rival Hereford United fans with a sick Lucy Letby chant at a match between the clubs, it has emerged.

City have condemned the actions of those accused of singing, ‘Lucy Letby, she’s one of your own’, during their 2-1 National League North defeat at the Deva Stadium on Tuesday night and said they were reviewing CCTV footage to identify the culprits.

Letby, who was born in Hereford, was convicted last month of murdering seven babies and attempting to kill six other infants while working as a neonatal nurse at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/07/chester-fc-fans-sick-lucy-letby-chant-hereford-match/
  • Options

Captain Sir Tom Moore’s daughter has received more than £150,000 from the charity set up in her father’s name, the latest accounts reveal.

The Captain Tom Foundation, which has stopped taking donations amid controversy over its links to Hannah Ingram-Moore and her family companies, has continued paying her thousands despite the scandal.

Since the foundation started in May 2020 it has paid just over £152,000 to Mrs Ingram-Moore and companies she controls along with her husband Colin, who is also a trustee of the charity.

The payments include almost £25,000 in office costs to Maytrix Group Limited in the last financial year, a company owned by the couple. The rent payments have continued while the charity is under investigation by the regulator.

The charity blamed the regulator’s inquiry for a drop in the donations that they have received, which fell from just over £1 million in the year to May 2021 to almost £400,000 in the 18 months from June 2021 to November 2022.

The trustees said that the intervention of the Charity Commission, which opened a regulatory inquiry in March 2022 and then a statutory inquiry in June 2022, has had a “massive adverse impact”.

The money comes on top of the thousands that Mrs Ingram-Moore was paid via the family company in relation to appearances at an awards ceremony bearing the charity name.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/07/captain-sir-tom-moore-daughter-received-more-than-150000/

'companies he/she controls' always feels like a red flag to me in these situations. Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I get suspicious when people who aren't mass business moguls are getting paid through companies or companies they control are getting monies, as if to conceal how much they are getting.

And frankly even for business moguls the way many corporate structures are set up to be as convoluted as possible, which cannot possibly be a benefit to the controllers in terms of governance, feels like it should be unlawful as well.
  • Options

Ugh.

Manchester United deny Antony ‘cover-up’ after ex-girlfriend makes club doctor allegation

Cavallin's lawyer claims United tried to conceal the alleged incident by calling a doctor to treat her so that she would not attend hospital

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/07/man-utd-deny-antony-cover-up-ex-girlfriend-club-doctor/

Are Uniteds wide forwards taking the search to be the next Ryan Giggs a bit too literally perhaps?
  • Options

Chester City supporters taunted rival Hereford United fans with a sick Lucy Letby chant at a match between the clubs, it has emerged.

City have condemned the actions of those accused of singing, ‘Lucy Letby, she’s one of your own’, during their 2-1 National League North defeat at the Deva Stadium on Tuesday night and said they were reviewing CCTV footage to identify the culprits.

Letby, who was born in Hereford, was convicted last month of murdering seven babies and attempting to kill six other infants while working as a neonatal nurse at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/07/chester-fc-fans-sick-lucy-letby-chant-hereford-match/

What good does looking at CCTV images do? Is a bad-taste chant somehow illegal? If not, why do they want to identify the "culprits"?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

'companies he/she controls' always feels like a red flag to me in these situations. Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I get suspicious when people who aren't mass business moguls are getting paid through companies or companies they control are getting monies, as if to conceal how much they are getting.

And frankly even for business moguls the way many corporate structures are set up to be as convoluted as possible, which cannot possibly be a benefit to the controllers in terms of governance, feels like it should be unlawful as well.
    A "charity" is one of those words which now, as often as not, seems to mean "opportunity to scam".
  • Options
    Farooq said:

What good does looking at CCTV images do? Is a bad-taste chant somehow illegal? If not, why do they want to identify the "culprits"?
    I would assume that a football club can still ban people from their property for life if they want, even if their actions are not illegal.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

A "charity" is one of those words which now, as often as not, seems to mean "opportunity to scam".
    There should be some minimum level of training and accreditation before you can start or lead a charity.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

I will agree right up to the moment I become a CEO of a major charity and pay myself 150k per year.

(Yes, people can be well paid in the sector, but come on, staff costs and overheads are sometimes ridiculous)

Then you get onto how some have truly toxic cultures and cover up horrendous things, which they expect to be excused because they ostensibly do good things.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Sounds like you live in an LTN, so are largely protected from through traffic. I'm envious!

I'm from rural Scotland so understand your position. Here, cars will always be king and the current tax system on motoring massively depresses economic activity. But we represent only a small proportion of the population (around 20%).

None of the measures I've suggested would significantly reduce the number of households with access to a car outwith major cities. It would probably only have a marginal impact on total miles driven too.

What they would do is reduce congestion and parking space in our towns and cities , opening them up for commercial activity and a more attractive public realm. People would be healthier and safer, and poorer people who can't afford to run a car would see their accessibility to services increase.
    I absolutely do not live in a LTN and they are few and far between in our area

The point is not the cul de sac, but that most every person and their dog, cul de sac or not depend, on the use of their cars for convenience and there is no indication that either the LA or the public are going to change their ways anytime soon
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Just because it’s not illegal doesn’t mean that the club can’t ban those who think this was witty from their ground if they are so minded.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Sadly so.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

There should be some minimum level of training and accreditation before you can start or lead a charity.
    They should apply the fit and proper person test they use for Premier League owners. Faultless.
  • Options

Should commit 64%
    Should NOT commit 22%

Although I bet if we had such a referendum (and please god no) the NOT campaign, powered by Nigel Farage and Nick Ferrari, the two of them taking turns to drive the bus, would pull off a 52/48 victory.

"No point cos it's all China"

"Let's cut the green crap and fix our potholes instead"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

I would assume that a football club can still ban people from their property for life if they want, even if their actions are not illegal.
    I'd be curious to see how such a policy butts up against GDPR regulations.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,850
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Sadly so.
    I think it has been that way for a long time. Not only does the charitable thing give you free money, but you're also in line for great honours.

(Some charities are what the say they are)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,220
    RSS Conference Harrogate 2023 ended today at 17:57. After a three-minute invite to RSS Conference Brighton 2-5 Sept 2024 proceedings ended at 18:00. Am now a bit sad.
This discussion has been closed.