Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LEAVE-REMAIN divide becoming less of an issue – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,472
    edited September 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

As an observation I often find the weddings of older people much more enjoyable - even joyous - than trad weddings of 20-somethings. There’s less expectation. Less pressure. They’ve usually spent less money on the big day so it’s less burdensome - or the happy couple already have money so they don’t fret

Also the wedding list can be ignored. They’ve already got nice cutlery

Yes and probably the grandest wedding in modern history? Charles and Diana's and just over a year later they were divorced.

Jordan of course has had lots of very expensive weddings and equally expensive divorces
    Very odd of you to pick out an Arab country. You sure you haven't muddled the Gulf of Aqaba with the Persian Gulf?
    Katie Price not the Middle Eastern nation
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,726
    My editor trashed my inquiry into child sexual abuse. Now I know why

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/02/peter-wilby-editor-child-sexual-abuse
    One morning, a fortnight ago, I checked the BBC headlines to find my old editor, Peter Wilby, peering out. He’d been exposed as a paedophile and convicted of possessing child sexual abuse images. I still feel sick at the discovery.

It would be disturbing enough to discover anyone you knew had done something so terrible – he was convicted of possessing images of children being raped since the 1990s. But Wilby wasn’t anyone. He was a pillar of the media establishment, an editor of the Independent on Sunday and the New Statesman, and a Guardian columnist.

Journalists who had worked with Wilby were appalled at his crimes, while others raged at his “hypocrisy”, but what shocked me was the creeping realisation that he had used his position as an editor and columnist to create what the writer Beatrix Campbell has called a “hostile environment” for victims of abuse.

It dawned on me that he had applied that “hostile environment” to me at the outset of my career when I was a freelance reporter at the Independent on Sunday, and he was its news editor.

In April 1991, I learned of mental and physical abuse at Ty Mawr children’s home in Gwent, south Wales, where some residents had attempted suicide. The claims emerged in the wake of abuse claims at other children’s homes – the “Pindown” scandal in Staffordshire where staff used violent restraint on children, and sexual abuse by social worker Frank Beck at homes in Leicestershire. I thought Wilby would be excited at the prospect of a scoop, but he couldn’t have been less interested. I took it to the daily Independent, which put it on the front page and made a campaign of it...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

As an observation I often find the weddings of older people much more enjoyable - even joyous - than trad weddings of 20-somethings. There’s less expectation. Less pressure. They’ve usually spent less money on the big day so it’s less burdensome - or the happy couple already have money so they don’t fret

Yes and probably the grandest wedding in modern history? Charles and Diana's and just over a year later they were divorced.

Charles and Diana did NOT divorce "after just over a year"!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Not an easy read this for a sunny Saturday afternoon. But an important one. It's not just that this editor had and enjoyed child abuse images. But that he used his position to stop others investigating and reporting on child abuse and wrote favourably about those who indulged in it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/02/peter-wilby-editor-child-sexual-abuse
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,222

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD can't be expected to bother with such mere details. He has no interest whatsoever in Royalty, unless it is Jordanian Royalty.
  • Options
    Home Secretary orders review into police impartiality
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66693802
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,058

Anne Applebaum @anneapplebaum
    It had to happen

NEXTA @nexta_tv

China has declared part of Russia as its territory on new official maps

#China's state-owned Standard Map Service has presented a set of geographic maps for 2023, on which for the first time part of #Russia's territory is indicated as part of China. It is about the Bolshoy Ussuriysky Island on the Amur River.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1696624183470408168

Inevitable.

I've been point this to @Leon and others who have been foolishly suggesting that China won't want to see Putin fail.

China has every desire to see Russia fail. China and Russia aren't friends and allies, they're historic threats and rivals.

Revanchist China has every motivation to claim historic Chinese territory that is currently Russian.

Russia being disarmed and defeated in the West serves Chinese interests and ambitions in the East.
    Yes, Xi had the opportunity to start WWIII by arming the Russians - but he chose instead to keep his distance, and see the world’s largest country severely weakened militarily.

A few skirmishes on the Russia/China border would work wonders for the ability of Putin to keep up in Ukraine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

"dancing with protesters at parades"

Obvs wants them to be given the Catalonian granny treatment, instead, one infers.
  • Options
    Alabama seeks to test execution method on death row ‘guinea pig’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/02/alabama-execution-nitrogen-kenneth-smith
    .. Kenneth Smith is one of two living Americans who can describe what it is like to survive an execution, having endured an aborted lethal injection last November during which he was subjected to excruciating pain tantamount, his lawyers claim, to torture.

Nine months later Smith has been singled out for another undesirable distinction. If the state of Alabama has its way, he will become the test dummy for an execution method that has never before been used in judicial killings and which veterinarians consider unacceptable as a form of euthanasia for animals – death by nitrogen gas...

.. Like many death penalty states, Oklahoma was looking for an alternative to lethal injection, having struggled to procure the necessary drugs as a result of an international boycott by pharmaceutical companies. By contrast, nitrogen is easily obtained as it is naturally abundant, making up 78% of the volume of air.

A team of academics from East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma, was commissioned to look into the option of nitrogen hypoxia, the Marshall Project has reported. It was led by Michael Copeland, a criminal justice professor.

Copeland’s previous experience was as a prosecutor on the western Pacific Ocean islands of Palau, one of the smallest countries in the world. He also worked in the anti-fraud unit of the Oklahoma insurance department.

Copeland had no medical training, and no doctors were involved in advancing the idea of nitrogen as an execution method. His 14-page report was presented to Oklahoma lawmakers, and the method was adopted as part of the state’s death penalty protocol; it went on to be emulated by Alabama..

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,477
    edited September 2023

Dura_Ace said:

Chechen weddings appear to be the only ones that are not a fucking bore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svYWcOP__k

Never been to an Indian one? :lol:
    I'm the only PBer who has ever seen an Indian wedding.

The actual marriage part, that is. That man and woman over there walking round one way and then the other, and some sort of Hindu vicar, while 2 or 300 other people ignore them completely, chat among themselves, make deals, plan holidays, or just walk back and forth to the running buffet.

ETA damn! missed a 13/2 winner at Beverley typing that. Priorities!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Just over 10 years then
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD can't be expected to bother with such mere details. He has no interest whatsoever in Royalty, unless it is Jordanian Royalty.
    Well you clearly have no interest in Katie Price
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,262
    If this heat in Germany is coming your way, get some cold drinks on ice; it is seriously hot here.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Not an easy read this for a sunny Saturday afternoon. But an important one. It's not just that this editor had and enjoyed child abuse images. But that he used his position to stop others investigating and reporting on child abuse and wrote favourably about those who indulged in it.

We discussed this briefly at the time of the BBC story. I’m pleased that the Guardian is reporting further on it, rather than quietly looking away.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

"dancing with protesters at parades"

Obvs wants them to be given the Catalonian granny treatment, instead, one infers.
    Well the Spanish Civil Guard correctly knows its authority ultimately comes from the government in Madrid.

The police are responsible for enforcing the laws supported by and legislated for by the elected UK government of the day
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,214
    HYUFD said:

I suspect what she means is the right sort of impartiality. Supporters of right-wing reactionary Home Secretaries welcome, anyone else can take a hike!
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Chechen weddings appear to be the only ones that are not a fucking bore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svYWcOP__k

Never been to an Indian one? :lol:
    We're all waiting for the invitation to yours!
    I'm not an Indian citizen :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I can't imagine why you would assume that PBers would recognise 'Jordan' as meaning some influencer or celeb rather than the ME state.
  • Options
    Hang on - there's a country named after Katie Price. When did that happen?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

We discussed this briefly at the time of the BBC story. I’m pleased that the Guardian is reporting further on it, rather than quietly looking away.
    It makes me wonder how many people now are doing something similar.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,947

HYUFD said:

I suspect what she means is the right sort of impartiality. Supporters of right-wing reactionary Home Secretaries welcome, anyone else can take a hike!
    Yes the idea that the police are rammed to the hilt with woke coppers is a bit of a surprise.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,957

HYUFD said:

If she manages through this to turn the police left wing she really will have achieved something.
  • Options
    The Belgian ugly house meme on TwitterX is quite something.
    https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1697979434907709543
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

If she manages through this to turn the police left wing she really will have achieved something.
    The British police now are quite leftwing and liberal in some respects. Certainly in terms of pushing for more spending on their wages, supporting Pride Parades, taking the knee, arresting bloggers for 'hatred posts' while arrests for robbery and theft decline etc
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Katie Who???
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I can't imagine why you would assume that PBers would recognise 'Jordan' as meaning some influencer or celeb rather than the ME state.
    As human beings can get married unlike countries
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 130
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

OT I'm still finding it hard to believe the British are really going to do this.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2023/07/uk-government-very-close-eroding-encryption-worldwide

Sadly they are and its not only the uk pushing this sort of shit law, australia did it, the eu want to do it , the us is pushing Kosa etc.

Signal and whatsapp have already said they will withdraw from the uk market rather than comply
    Yes, governments are insistent and not enough of the public give a crap about it, so they don't suffer as a consequence.
    Not enough of the pubilc give a crap about it because the people against it have been crap at communicating the stakes. From the stories you'd just think that it's an abstract techy issue, but actually, there are major risks for every parent and grandparent in the country that should be easy to vicerally bring home to the ordinary voter.

Think about it, you're sending a picture of your own child to your own mother. Maybe they did something amusing, or maybe they've got a nasty rash that you want advice about. But you're going to have to take a moment to think if some AI, completely without the context, is going to flag you as a possible child abuser, and then some bottom feeding contractor like Serco or G4S will rubber stamp that and send you into a world of hurt.

The government position is that the magic of AI means that you have nothing to worry about.

But will the tech companies optimise it for accurately detecting and not accusing innocents? No, it will be optimised to pass the buck as hard as possible, because the tech companies don't want to be in the business of taking the blame when some pedophile isn't caught.

Quite likely outcomes are that social workers will be sent round to interview lots of innocent parents, who they are primed to suspect are pedophiles, and that there will be an uptick in children being removed parents unneccesarily.

Yet none of this has been brought up in the media either by tech companies or by privacy activists.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
  • Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Obviously been saving it up - this seems to be ther only obvious example, and it,s from 2019. Met letting the side down again. (TBF they get a lot of protests, so not a fair statistic!).

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/police-boss-blasts-unacceptable-behaviour-of-officers-filmed-skateboarding-and-dancing-at-extinction-rebellion-protests-in-london-a4121381.html
  • Options
    Age distribution ... educational level ... moral training ...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

How much of the media has been captured by those who support puberty blockers for children and other forms of abuse. How many of them ensure that sex based rights activists are singled out for abuse by their friends and protect those people who support the continued abuse of children.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

You said "Jordan of course has had lots of very expensive weddings and equally expensive divorces" which is ambiguous. And I was doing you the favour of assuminhg you were a serious commentator rather than someone interested in the sidebar of the Mail Online.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Obviously been saving it up - this seems to be ther only obvious example, and it,s from 2019. Met letting the side down again. (TBF they get a lot of protests, so not a fair statistic!).

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/police-boss-blasts-unacceptable-behaviour-of-officers-filmed-skateboarding-and-dancing-at-extinction-rebellion-protests-in-london-a4121381.html
    Skateboarding? Are they fecking 12?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I can see youre not actually in a CoE parish
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Little surprise amongst the clergy, with a few notable exceptions like staunch Tory Father Marcus Walker of St Bartholomew's in London.

'More than three quarters of Church of England clergy are Remainers, poll data show.

Some 75.4 per cent of respondents backed Remain during the 2016 referendum, while only 18.8 per cent voted Leave, appearing to put them at odds with their congregations.

Previous data suggest between 55 and 66 per cent of Anglican worshippers supported Brexit.

The Times poll of almost 1,200 active Church of England clergy also found the majority of priests back Labour.

The survey also discovered that 36 per cent of the Church lean Left, with the Conservatives lagging in fourth place on 13 per cent, behind the Liberal Democrats (on 17%) and “don’t know”. 6% of Vicars back the Greens and 1% RefUK
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/02/church-of-england-clergy-remainers-brexit-anglican/
  • Options

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Skateboarding? Are they fecking 12?
    Some of those PCs are a lot closer to 12 than you (I assume) or I am. But even allowing for them being bored out of their mind ...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There is certainly an issue with the police being close to lobby groups. This is incompatible with policing without fear or favour and is similar to the problem the police had with Freemasonry in the past and, in Northern Ireland, with the RUC. It is also a problem if the police is seen as too close to government - see the comments by others on Orgreave and Hillsborough.

Whether that is what Braverman means I have my doubts. But that the police do not often appear to understand what a conflict of interest - or the appearance of one - is, is a real problem and needs addressing sensibly.

• Options
    This is quite an interesting anti-drone system.
    Could be fitted on all sorts of APCs.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1697964089442439286
    The Australian EOS sells 110 of its new Slinger anti-drone systems to Ukraine

With a range of 1.5 km, it can fire up to 200 30mm rounds per minute. Systems will be mounted on M113 to counter Russian drone attacks and reconnaissance UAVs.
  • Options
    Some of us have spent years pointing out this Cameron/Osborne gerrymandering by having new constituencies drawn up on miscounted populations.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

You said "Jordan of course has had lots of very expensive weddings and equally expensive divorces" which is ambiguous. And I was doing you the favour of assuminhg you were a serious commentator rather than someone interested in the sidebar of the Mail Online.
    Jordan is probably one of the most famous celebs in the UK, regardless of your intellectual snobbery about her she has made a well rewarded career for herself
  • Options
    ajb said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

OT I'm still finding it hard to believe the British are really going to do this.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2023/07/uk-government-very-close-eroding-encryption-worldwide

Sadly they are and its not only the uk pushing this sort of shit law, australia did it, the eu want to do it , the us is pushing Kosa etc.

Signal and whatsapp have already said they will withdraw from the uk market rather than comply
    Yes, governments are insistent and not enough of the public give a crap about it, so they don't suffer as a consequence.
    Not enough of the pubilc give a crap about it because the people against it have been crap at communicating the stakes. From the stories you'd just think that it's an abstract techy issue, but actually, there are major risks for every parent and grandparent in the country that should be easy to vicerally bring home to the ordinary voter.

Think about it, you're sending a picture of your own child to your own mother. Maybe they did something amusing, or maybe they've got a nasty rash that you want advice about. But you're going to have to take a moment to think if some AI, completely without the context, is going to flag you as a possible child abuser, and then some bottom feeding contractor like Serco or G4S will rubber stamp that and send you into a world of hurt.

The government position is that the magic of AI means that you have nothing to worry about.

But will the tech companies optimise it for accurately detecting and not accusing innocents? No, it will be optimised to pass the buck as hard as possible, because the tech companies don't want to be in the business of taking the blame when some pedophile isn't caught.

Quite likely outcomes are that social workers will be sent round to interview lots of innocent parents, who they are primed to suspect are pedophiles, and that there will be an uptick in children being removed parents unneccesarily.

Yet none of this has been brought up in the media either by tech companies or by privacy activists.
    You're perhaps missing an obvious issue - sending photos to doctors/nurses. Given the nature of remote consultations/preliminary triage/advice in a hurry. Nappy rash, for instance. I would hope that that would be obvious - but ...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Jordan is probably one of the most famous celebs in the UK, regardless of your intellectual snobbery about her she has made a well rewarded career for herself
    Not intellectual. Just not interested.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.
    But it very much reinforces your argument about the need for good whistleblowing systems which properly investigate concerns, while avoiding ruining the careers or lives of either whistleblowers or innocents who come under some kind of suspicion.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,401
    edited September 2023
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I can see youre not actually in a CoE parish
    Which bit?

Most clergy are of working age, most CofE congratulations trend old.

Hence a political and Brexit gap.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,964
    edited September 2023
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

The British police now are quite leftwing and liberal in some respects. Certainly in terms of pushing for more spending on their wages, supporting Pride Parades, taking the knee, arresting bloggers for 'hatred posts' while arrests for robbery and theft decline etc
    Yes, there are lots of really left-wing and liberal misogynistic and racist police officers, especially in the Met.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

How much of the media has been captured by those who support puberty blockers for children and other forms of abuse. How many of them ensure that sex based rights activists are singled out for abuse by their friends and protect those people who support the continued abuse of children.
    I suspect you have added two and two together and arrived at any number other than 4. What has one pervert editor got to do with this unicorn notion of " the media has been captured by those who support puberty blockers for children"? For what it's worth I disapprove of child gender reassignment and pedophilic editors of newspapers, but I don't understand your extrapolation and conclusion.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Would you say the killing of Sarah Everard was a left-wing or a right-wing act?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,947
    edited September 2023
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Jordan of course has had lots of very expensive weddings and equally expensive divorces
    Very odd of you to pick out an Arab country. You sure you haven't muddled the Gulf of Aqaba with the Persian Gulf?
    As confusions go that really made me really laugh. I must admit I assumed you were talking about Jordanian weddings, then when you clarified it made much more sense and on reading back either interpretation is valid. Does it say something about the reader as to how they interpret it?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,761
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

It had to happen

NEXTA @nexta_tv

#China's state-owned Standard Map Service has presented a set of geographic maps for 2023, on which for the first time part of #Russia's territory is indicated as part of China. It is about the Bolshoy Ussuriysky Island on the Amur River.

Some people think there's no such thing as Russian or Chinese Imperialism, if you can believe it.
    It’s not imperialism to conquer people, erase their culture, engage in wholesale ethnic cleansing.

It’s only imperialism if you did it a hundred years ago.
    And if you’re white European (or maybe Japanese)
    You get plenty of apologists for Japanese Imperialism. The innocent Japanese were on a mission of love, joy and anti-colonial brotherhood. As they raped their way across the neighbourhood.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Got married three years ago and enjoyed it a lot more than first time round.

Nobody bought us a thing. We didn't need it. No trimmings, so plenty of dosh left to spend on bubbly.

Yes, it was all very happy making.

Sigh.
    I’ve got a general rule of thumb that the bigger the wedding and the more money spent - for a normal young person’s wedding - the more likely they are to divorce, and sooner rather than later

It’s quite an effective predictor: tho not flawless

Some (most?) of the happiest weddings I’ve been to have been the least grand - 30 people in a pub, etc

Yep there does seem to be a negative correlation, between the amount of effort spent on the wedding and the amount of effort spent on the marriage.

We had 50 people at the local golf club.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Little surprise amongst the clergy, with a few notable exceptions like staunch Tory Father Marcus Walker of St Bartholomew's in London.

'More than three quarters of Church of England clergy are Remainers, poll data show.

Some 75.4 per cent of respondents backed Remain during the 2016 referendum, while only 18.8 per cent voted Leave, appearing to put them at odds with their congregations.

Previous data suggest between 55 and 66 per cent of Anglican worshippers supported Brexit.

The Times poll of almost 1,200 active Church of England clergy also found the majority of priests back Labour.

The survey also discovered that 36 per cent of the Church lean Left, with the Conservatives lagging in fourth place on 13 per cent, behind the Liberal Democrats (on 17%) and “don’t know”. 6% of Vicars back the Greens and 1% RefUK
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/02/church-of-england-clergy-remainers-brexit-anglican/
    The CoE clergy have usually been at odds with their congregations . This year Welby decided to jump on the slavery bandwagon and promise to pay £100million he hasnt got to people he knows nothing about, while parishes are crumbling around him.

But it keeps his mates happy.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect you have added two and two together and arrived at any number other than 4. What has one pervert editor got to do with this unicorn notion of " the media has been captured by those who support puberty blockers for children"? For what it's worth I disapprove of child gender reassignment and pedophilic editors of newspapers, but I don't understand your extrapolation and conclusion.
    I think the answer would be, not very much of the media.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

As confusions go that really made me really laugh. I must admit I assumed you were talking about Jordanian weddings, then when you clarified it made much more sense and on reading back either interpretation is valid. Does it say something about the reader as to how they interpret it?
    Also how the RF is lumped in with celebs (other, assorted).
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,415
    I've been on about it for ages, here and elsewhere. I'd like Labour to instruct the Boundary Commission to use the census as the basis for population estimates, rather than a survey of who is currently registered.
  • Options
    This is a good thing.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

There is certainly an issue with the police being close to lobby groups. This is incompatible with policing without fear or favour and is similar to the problem the police had with Freemasonry in the past and, in Northern Ireland, with the RUC. It is also a problem if the police is seen as too close to government - see the comments by others on Orgreave and Hillsborough.

Whether that is what Braverman means I have my doubts. But that the police do not often appear to understand what a conflict of interest - or the appearance of one - is, is a real problem and needs addressing sensibly.

Surely that notion is further blurred by the idea of politically partisan Police Commissioners. I have a particular beef with the police and Freemasonry, but colour me cynical, I suspect Mrs Braverman is more concerned with dissent over her more crackpot ideas.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.
    But it very much reinforces your argument about the need for good whistleblowing systems which properly investigate concerns, while avoiding ruining the careers or lives of either whistleblowers or innocents who come under some kind of suspicion.
    I met yesterday one of the vice-chairs of the APPG on Whistleblowing (https://www.appgwhistleblowing.co.uk/), gave them my card and offered them my expertise. So I will see what, if anything, comes of that. I'd really like to help but the cynic in me wonders how much MPs really want to listen.

If you do not have trusted independent investigators, your policies may as well be written on sand.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Surely that notion is further blurred by the idea of politically partisan Police Commissioners. I have a particular beef with the police and Freemasonry, but colour me cynical, I suspect Mrs Braverman is more concerned with dissent over her more crackpot ideas.
    I am cynical too. But between politicians and the police, I am starting to run out of available cynicism, frankly.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 130
    Carnyx said:

ajb said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

You're perhaps missing an obvious issue - sending photos to doctors/nurses. Given the nature of remote consultations/preliminary triage/advice in a hurry. Nappy rash, for instance. I would hope that that would be obvious - but ...
    I thought most doctors were pretty insistent that you don't do that anyway; making you go in if they need to see a sensitive area.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.
    I met yesterday one of the vice-chairs of the APPG on Whistleblowing (https://www.appgwhistleblowing.co.uk/), gave them my card and offered them my expertise. So I will see what, if anything, comes of that. I'd really like to help but the cynic in me wonders how much MPs really want to listen.

If you do not have trusted independent investigators, your policies may as well be written on sand.
    The independence of the process from other aspects of management seems absolutely key, once you think about it (which you get me doing).
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

TBH I don't really know what Police Commissioners are supposed to do or whether they are any good.

Khan, for instance, was AWOL over Dick until it suited him to jump on the bandwagon. Far too late. Having previously expressed confidence in her when anyone with a brain should have seen she was not up to the job.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,457
    edited September 2023

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?
    Finished early because the exam hall was at risk of collapse.

On topic- it would be interesting to see the split by current views of Brexit. Are the blue to red switchers more Bregretters, or Confident Leavers (Brexit is fine and not in peril)?
    I suspect that most people (who, bizarrely, don’t read PB) have largely forgotten about it. We are out and it has not proved as transformational as some promised but neither have any of the downsides manifested themselves. The revisals of our GDP earlier this week removed the final remnants of the “economic disaster “ claim but they also showed that we are doing no better than average.
    We want a government that can do better and it doesn’t appear to be this one.
    Rejoin still polls strongly. Brexit will remain an albatross around the neck of the Tories for at least a generation.

Leavers may be shifting away from the Tories, but Remainers are not shifting to them.

REJOIN = West Ham
    STAY OUT = Luton
    Sorry Sunil but as a 3rd generation West Ham fan I am afraid West Ham is definitely Leave.

Indeed our song refelcts it perfectly. We will almost reach our dreams but never quite get there yet we still hope.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,490

I've been on about it for ages, here and elsewhere. I'd like Labour to instruct the Boundary Commission to use the census as the basis for population estimates, rather than a survey of who is currently registered.
    I’m surprised that they didn’t use the census to begin with . That seems a much better measure .
  • Options
    I
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.

The independence of the process from other aspects of management seems absolutely key, once you think about it (which you get me doing).
    Independence from management and from any disciplinary / HR process. It is an obvious point but one which is not really appreciated. And you can see much of the commentary on Letby missing the point as well, a point I made to the MP yesterday.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,231
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Awesome, you mugged them off a treat there 😂😂😂😂

Their response smacks of desperation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

• Options
    ajb said:

Carnyx said:

ajb said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

I thought most doctors were pretty insistent that you don't do that anyway; making you go in if they need to see a sensitive area.
    Ah, didn't know that - thanks.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.

Independence from management and from any disciplinary / HR process. It is an obvious point but one which is not really appreciated. And you can see much of the commentary on Letby missing the point as well, a point I made to the MP yesterday.
    I remember, quite a few years back, when I’d just started as a school governor, the Head reading out a letter of complaint, written to the chair of governors about the Head, which the chair had just handed straight over…
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,457
    edited September 2023
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

The British police are not the ones making laws. But once those laws are in place they are supposed to follow them. If you have an issue with Pride Parades or arresting bloggers then take it up with the politicians who make the laws and set the priorities.

I am no fan at all of the police but if I am going to criticise them (for incompetance, bigotry, corruption and a whole host of other things) I don't want that criticism to be diluted by spurious and politically motivated complaints.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

I

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.

I remember, quite a few years back, when I’d just started as a school governor, the Head reading out a letter of complaint, written to the chair of governors about the Head, which the chair had just handed straight over…
    😱 ...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,426

HYUFD said:

The CoE clergy have usually been at odds with their congregations . This year Welby decided to jump on the slavery bandwagon and promise to pay £100million he hasnt got to people he knows nothing about, while parishes are crumbling around him.

It’s always been a bit of a mystery to me, why Anglican clergy have, for the best part of a century, been so at odds with their congregations.
  • Options
    WWF1 is back!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

I

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.

😱 ...
    Indeed.

Written procedures seem terminally boring to most folk (me included). But stuff like that makes you appreciate the worth of creating them and taking them seriously.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

It’s always been a bit of a mystery to me, why Anglican clergy have, for the best part of a century, been so at odds with their congregations.
    Because they are part of the State. Literally. The Head of State is the Head of the Church. As the State becomes more and more remote from the people, the Church moves with it.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    kle4 said:

I would guess that there are more people living in poverty today than before the Industrial Revolution.

Well, that might be because there are a heck of a lot more people to begin with.

And given what people tend to consider poverty now, versus the absolute subsistence level of large proportions of human society throughout history, I would be very skeptical that the day to day experience is worse, outside the absolute worst places in the world today.

And it's not as though people who poo poo the Industrial Revolution want to live in a world where we don't have the modern comforts that have come out of it, so even if they lament the cost it has had, they're not really against that it happened to enable our present lifestyles.

As for the couple discussing alternatives to capitalism, I'm sure there is - I just hope they don't go for an option which has proven it never works in practice only in theory.
    Absolute poverty means $2.65 a day. I simply don’t know how anyone could survive on that.

But, that was the lot of 89% of the world’s people, in 1820, compared to 8% today.

In absolute terms, that’s 890 m people then, compared to 650m today.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

The British police are not the ones making laws. But once those laws are in place they are supposed to follow them. If you have an issue with Pride Parades or arresting bloggers then take it up with the politicians who make the laws and set the priorities.

I am no fan at all of the police but if II am going to criticise them (for incompetance, bigotry, corruption and a whole host of other things) I don't want that criticism to be diluted by spurious and politically motivated complaints.
    The issue is that too often the police do not appear to understand the laws they are meant to be enforcing and on occasion make up offences which do not exist. When that leads them to arrest people, then people ask why that has happened and whether that may have been influenced by lobby groups or by poor training or just plain incompetence. But either way the police should not be seen as being close to any political or other group because it can appear to - and on occasion may in fact - question their impartiality when it comes to policing matters involving such groups.

And it can lead to corruption - as with the Freemasons - or nakedly political policing, as in NI. Or cover ups - as with Hillsborough etc.,.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I would guess that there are more people living in poverty today than before the Industrial Revolution.

Well, that might be because there are a heck of a lot more people to begin with.

And given what people tend to consider poverty now, versus the absolute subsistence level of large proportions of human society throughout history, I would be very skeptical that the day to day experience is worse, outside the absolute worst places in the world today.

And it's not as though people who poo poo the Industrial Revolution want to live in a world where we don't have the modern comforts that have come out of it, so even if they lament the cost it has had, they're not really against that it happened to enable our present lifestyles.

As for the couple discussing alternatives to capitalism, I'm sure there is - I just hope they don't go for an option which has proven it never works in practice only in theory.
    Absolute poverty means $2.65 a day. I simply don’t know how anyone could survive on that.

But, that was the lot of 89% of the world’s people, in 1820, compared to 8% today…

A lot didn’t survive.
    Look at infant and child mortality rates, for instance.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1041714/united-kingdom-all-time-child-mortality-rate/

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Rather enjoying the rants by @MaxPB on the previous thread about the consequences of the policies the party he has supported. Broadly agree that the Tories are currently doing damn all for the young (or anyone else really). But the reason they've been in power for so long - and repeatedly - is because people like him voted for them.

Anyway I am sure he will be delighted if Labour brings in a wealth tax on expensive London property and higher taxes for those on 6-figure incomes from the City.

Never mind all that.

A beach. A 13-year old dog. Sunshine.

Simple pleasures.

Meh. Came back from a month gallivanting around the world to find I’d accidentally switched my freezer off.

Not what I’d planned for this afternoon
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

I

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.

😱 ...
    Indeed.

Written procedures seem terminally boring to most folk (me included). But stuff like that makes you appreciate the worth of creating them and taking them seriously.
    It makes me wonder about the total lack of common-since and judgment that apparently intelligent people often display. God Almighty: it should not need a written process to make a sentient being realise that what you described was bloody stupid.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

I am no fan at all of the police but if II am going to criticise them (for incompetance, bigotry, corruption and a whole host of other things) I don't want that criticism to be diluted by spurious and politically motivated complaints.
    The issue is that too often the police do not appear to understand the laws they are meant to be enforcing and on occasion make up offences which do not exist. When that leads them to arrest people, then people ask why that has happened and whether that may have been influenced by lobby groups or by poor training or just plain incompetence. But either way the police should not be seen as being close to any political or other group because it can appear to - and on occasion may in fact - question their impartiality when it comes to policing matters involving such groups.

And it can lead to corruption - as with the Freemasons - or nakedly political policing, as in NI. Or cover ups - as with Hillsborough etc.,.
    There’s a difficulty, in cases where certain groups, with the backing of the a considerable minority of the population, are trying to destroy the government, as in Northern Ireland, or the industrial disputes of the 1970’s and 1980’s. Simply enforcing the law becomes an issue of political partisanship.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

I

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.

😱 ...
    Indeed.

It makes me wonder about the total lack of common-since and judgment that apparently intelligent people often display. God Almighty: it should not need a written process to make a sentient being realise that what you described was bloody stupid.
    It shouldn’t - but it wasn’t so much stupidity, but rather that the then governing body was under the control of the head.
    With some persistence on the part of some of us, that changed.

If you don’t have procedure to back you up, such things often come down to force of will as much as argument. Which is possibly where things also go wrong in fully professional contexts, as well as organisations of volunteers like governing bodies.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,995
    What's OGH on about?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Rather enjoying the rants by @MaxPB on the previous thread about the consequences of the policies the party he has supported. Broadly agree that the Tories are currently doing damn all for the young (or anyone else really). But the reason they've been in power for so long - and repeatedly - is because people like him voted for them.

Anyway I am sure he will be delighted if Labour brings in a wealth tax on expensive London property and higher taxes for those on 6-figure incomes from the City.

Never mind all that.

Simple pleasures.

Meh. Came back from a month gallivanting around the world to find I’d accidentally switched my freezer off.

Oh bugger! We did that once, with a fridge-freezer. No matter how much cleaning you do, and no matter how good the enzyme cleaners, it’s toast. Admit this early, throw it away and claim on your insurance.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,761
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

I

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Impossible to know.

😱 ...
    Indeed.

It shouldn’t - but it wasn’t so much stupidity, but rather that the then governing body was under the control of the head.
    With some persistence on the part of some of us, that changed.

If you don’t have procedure to back you up, such things often come down to force of will as much as argument. Which is possibly where things also go wrong in fully professional contexts, as well as organisations of volunteers like governing bodies.

The number of times I have wondered about how some people walk and breathe on their own...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,032
    edited September 2023
    Does anyone seriously think Braverman’s review is anything but an attempt to maintain the culture war and keep her own dorky face in the right wing rags?

If so, I have a Nigerian I want you to meet.
  • Options
    Anyway, it’s past midnight here, and I’m jet lagged.
    Good afternoon / goodnight all.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,885

Does anyone seriously think Braverman’s review is anything but an attempt to maintain the culture war and keep her own dorky face in the right wing rags?

If so, I have a Nigerian I want you time meet.

I'd probably agree with that if I was a lefty.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Never mind all that.

Simple pleasures.

Oh bugger! We did that once, with a fridge-freezer. No matter how much cleaning you do, and no matter how good the enzyme cleaners, it’s toast. Admit this early, throw it away and claim on your insurance.
    It’s built in…
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

I understand that. But the police did not pass the online hate laws and I do expect them to be seen as part of the community - hence the reaosn I have no problem with them being involved in Pride Parades. These were the specific instances cited by HYUFD

I have no disagreement with you over the bias and corruption nor the need for massive reform. But there are things which it is not within their scope tp deal with and where the blame needs to be laid at the feet of the politicians passing idiotic laws.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,940

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Because they are part of the State. Literally. The Head of State is the Head of the Church. As the State becomes more and more remote from the people, the Church moves with it.
    They have traditionally needed to distinguish themselves from the congregation to persevere the idea that the clergy were specially selected. I think it was around the 13th century/the Avignon popes when it was decided that priests should be celibate, for example.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,885
    Misleading title, because if you read the article it isn't talking about voters, it's talking about population, which is not the same thing.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,866

Leon said:

kle4 said:

It had to happen

NEXTA @nexta_tv

Some people think there's no such thing as Russian or Chinese Imperialism, if you can believe it.
    It’s not imperialism to conquer people, erase their culture, engage in wholesale ethnic cleansing.

It’s only imperialism if you did it a hundred years ago.
    And if you’re white European (or maybe Japanese)
    You get plenty of apologists for Japanese Imperialism. The innocent Japanese were on a mission of love, joy and anti-colonial brotherhood. As they raped their way across the neighbourhood.
    If you haven't yet read it, I would highly recommend Ian Toll's trilogy on the Pacific War.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,995

If so, I have a Nigerian I want you time meet.

Not sure about any culture war, but she's clearly heavily motivated by self-aggrandisement.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,032
    edited September 2023
    I see Clare Coutinho, the “close friend” of Rishi Sunak who has rocketed into Cabinet, is another Brexit loon.

God save us from these utter muppets.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Never mind all that.

Simple pleasures.

It’s built in…
    Assuming it was full of meat, and now smells like mine did, call your insurance company tonight and buy a load of air fresheners.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,519
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Never mind all that.

Simple pleasures.

It’s built in…
    Assuming it was full of meat, and now smells like mine did, call your insurance company tonight and buy a load of air fresheners.
    Surely you turn it back on and get it all frozen again before emptying it?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,016
    carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Never mind all that.

Simple pleasures.

It’s built in…
    Surely you turn it back on and get it all frozen again before emptying it?
    A colleague of mine tells a story of the worst ever freezer. One of his former colleagues used to do research on meconium (babies first poo). Had hundreds of samples, nicely frozen down until an awful weekend where the freezer had become un plugged, and not discovered for a significant amount of time. All the samples defrosted, and the stench became appalling.
    People still tried to repurpose it…
This discussion has been closed.