Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LEAVE-REMAIN divide becoming less of an issue – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,765
edited September 2023 in General
The LEAVE-REMAIN divide becoming less of an issue – politicalbetting.com

? NEW POLLING ??? "With no #Brexit ‘glue’, Leave voters are no longer wedded to the Conservative Party. Indeed, our new polling with @RedfieldWilton shows a declining attachment to the Tories", writes @SophieStowers.Find out more: https://t.co/9b0m1pVIdR pic.twitter.com/5nEKExxxEb

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Test
  • Options
    First after the disqualifcation.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2023
    Well, I will not forgive the "Conservatives" for the total balls-up that is Brexit. I just wish Labour had leadership instead of management...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,804

Sean_F said:

This is bonkers: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/01/ex-tory-mp-apologises-for-ancestors-links-to-slavery

Why does she need to apologise for the actions of her ancestors? Ones that she only just found out existed? Is she responsible for them?

The Conservatives were well rid of her.

I’ve discovered that some of my ancestors fought in 17th century Ireland, and I’m quite sure they acted as 17th century soldiers did. I see no reason to apologise.
    Mrs RP has ancestors who fought in the OG IRA. Is she supposed to apologise for what great-great-grandad did a century ago? What does it have to do with her?
    But there’s quite a bit of ancestor worship about (see folk on Antiques Roadshow getting applauded for having skilfully acquired a great great gran who bought something that’s now worth thousands), perhaps this is needed as a counterbalance?
    I don't think it is at the same level to be honest. Unless you're Arthur Charles Valerian Wellesley, 9th Duke of Wellington, we don't get or rely on social cachet for being related to someone centuries old. Within 1-2 generations, maybe, but not that distant. At best you might have an interestory story to tell or trinket you hold.

Whereas the flagellation movement is all about demonstrating in as overwrought a fashion as possible that you are so much better than some 17th century person, one amongst dozens of ancestors possibly, who may or may not have had an impact on you today.
    Pagan2 said:

OT I'm still finding it hard to believe the British are really going to do this.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2023/07/uk-government-very-close-eroding-encryption-worldwide

Sadly they are and its not only the uk pushing this sort of shit law, australia did it, the eu want to do it , the us is pushing Kosa etc.

Signal and whatsapp have already said they will withdraw from the uk market rather than comply
    Yes, governments are insistent and not enough of the public give a crap about it, so they don't suffer as a consequence.
    Sean_F said:

Perhaps the most corrosive dictum in British public life is Keynes's witty repost, 'in the long run we're all dead'. It belongs in a dictionary of dud epigrams, along with the complete works of Oscar Wilde, but instead it has cast a defining shadow over government policy since the 1930s. On the other hand most of the fine old pre-20th century buildings designed to last centuries were raised with money derived from slavery, colonialism and plunder. We've never really paid our own way - we've just been very inventive finding ways to make others do it for us. And now we've run out of ideas.

Well, we did come up with the Industrial Revolution, which is probably the single greatest blessing that the world has enjoyed.
    One not without some downsides admittedly, but to which some people have a bizarre reaction as if the world's population would have been better off without it ever happening.
  • Options

Test

Did you fail or pass?
  • Options
    Light the beacons of Gondor.

Everton have scored in the Premier League.
  • Options

Test

Did you fail or pass?
    Finished early because the exam hall was at risk of collapse.

On topic- it would be interesting to see the split by current views of Brexit. Are the blue to red switchers more Bregretters, or Confident Leavers (Brexit is fine and not in peril)?
  • Options
    Anne Applebaum @anneapplebaum
    It had to happen

NEXTA @nexta_tv

China has declared part of Russia as its territory on new official maps

#China's state-owned Standard Map Service has presented a set of geographic maps for 2023, on which for the first time part of #Russia's territory is indicated as part of China. It is about the Bolshoy Ussuriysky Island on the Amur River.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1696624183470408168
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,125
    edited September 2023

Test

Did you fail or pass?

On topic- it would be interesting to see the split by current views of Brexit. Are the blue to red switchers more Bregretters, or Confident Leavers (Brexit is fine and not in peril)?
    I suspect a bit of both. I am not typical of course as I was not willing to vote for Johnson in 2019 even if Brexit, which I still wholeheartedly support, was at risk.

But many of those I know who are still Brexiteers are of the opinion that Starmer will make no appreciable difference to it and that competance is what is needed now not ideology.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,775

Test

Did you fail or pass?

I suspect that most people (who, bizarrely, don’t read PB) have largely forgotten about it. We are out and it has not proved as transformational as some promised but neither have any of the downsides manifested themselves. The revisals of our GDP earlier this week removed the final remnants of the “economic disaster “ claim but they also showed that we are doing no better than average.
    We want a government that can do better and it doesn’t appear to be this one.
  • Options

It had to happen

NEXTA @nexta_tv

#China's state-owned Standard Map Service has presented a set of geographic maps for 2023, on which for the first time part of #Russia's territory is indicated as part of China. It is about the Bolshoy Ussuriysky Island on the Amur River.

Some people think there's no such thing as Russian or Chinese Imperialism, if you can believe it.
  • Options

Light the beacons of Gondor.

Everton have scored in the Premier League.

Extinguish those beacons. As you were...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,383
    edited September 2023
    DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

I suspect that most people (who, bizarrely, don’t read PB) have largely forgotten about it. We are out and it has not proved as transformational as some promised but neither have any of the downsides manifested themselves. The revisals of our GDP earlier this week removed the final remnants of the “economic disaster “ claim but they also showed that we are doing no better than average.
    Rejoin still polls strongly. Brexit will remain an albatross around the neck of the Tories for at least a generation.

Leavers may be shifting away from the Tories, but Remainers are not shifting to them.

• Options
    Leon said:

ON topic

I went to a very sweet wedding, yesterday. Some old friends who’ve been unmarried partners 35 years and have two fine, well-adjusted grown up kids. And now grandkids. They suddenly decided to solemnise the whole shebang, just because.

It was a perfect mix of ages: babies to babushkas. 80 people on the Twickenham riverside. The sun shone. Lots of bubbles flowed. Everyone seemed happy. Many old friends were gathered

I realise this is apropos of nothing but for me it was a reminder that in an apparently dark world a billion simple but beautiful things happen daily.

I will now switch off my “Radio 4 vicar” mode

Many congratulations to them :-)

"When you do something beautiful and nobody noticed, do not be sad. For the sun, every morning is a beautiful spectacle and yet most of the audience still sleeps." - John Lennon
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,323
    As an observation I often find the weddings of older people much more enjoyable - even joyous - than trad weddings of 20-somethings. There’s less expectation. Less pressure. They’ve usually spent less money on the big day so it’s less burdensome - or the happy couple already have money so they don’t fret

Also the wedding list can be ignored. They’ve already got nice cutlery
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,226
    kle4 said:

It had to happen

NEXTA @nexta_tv

Some people think there's no such thing as Russian or Chinese Imperialism, if you can believe it.
    It’s not imperialism to conquer people, erase their culture, engage in wholesale ethnic cleansing.

It’s only imperialism if you did it a hundred years ago.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,320
    The question for the future is whether Remainers will remain just as sticky in opposing the Tories?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,549
    edited September 2023
    Sheffield United now ahead in the Premier League's epic Battle Of The Rubbish.
  • Options

It had to happen

NEXTA @nexta_tv

Inevitable.

I've been point this to @Leon and others who have been foolishly suggesting that China won't want to see Putin fail.

China has every desire to see Russia fail. China and Russia aren't friends and allies, they're historic threats and rivals.

Revanchist China has every motivation to claim historic Chinese territory that is currently Russian.

Russia being disarmed and defeated in the West serves Chinese interests and ambitions in the East.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It had to happen

NEXTA @nexta_tv

It’s not imperialism to conquer people, erase their culture, engage in wholesale ethnic cleansing.

And if you’re white European (or maybe Japanese)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,540
    DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

Er .... the UK is not "out". Not by a long shot, if you are in impexp. HMG still hasn't sorted out customs. Partly, reportedly, for fear of the effect on inflation.

And the impact on the "united" bit of the UK remains to be seen, notably but not only in NI.
  • Options
    Another thing I learned (or was reminded of) yesterday. Twickenham riverside is very pretty and Eel Pie Island is enchanting (on a sunny late summer evening)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

Rejoin still polls strongly. Brexit will remain an albatross around the neck of the Tories for at least a generation.

Leavers may be shifting away from the Tories, but Remainers are not shifting to them.

Only in prompted polls.

Rejoin isn't polling in unprompted polls, nor are any proxies for it (unlike pre-2016).
  • Options
    Everton's Pickford scores just before half time.

Shame for @dixiedean he scored in the wrong net.
  • Options
    Leon said:

As an observation I often find the weddings of older people much more enjoyable - even joyous - than trad weddings of 20-somethings. There’s less expectation. Less pressure. They’ve usually spent less money on the big day so it’s less burdensome - or the happy couple already have money so they don’t fret

Got married three years ago and enjoyed it a lot more than first time round.

Nobody bought us a thing. We didn't need it. No trimmings, so plenty of dosh left to spend on bubbly.

Yes, it was all very happy making.

Sigh.
  • Options
    China is astonishingly good at alienating its neighbours.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,555
    edited September 2023
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

Er .... the UK is not "out". Not by a long shot, if you are in impexp. HMG still hasn't sorted out customs. Partly, reportedly, for fear of the effect on inflation.

And the impact on the "united" bit of the UK remains to be seen, notably but not only in NI.
    Folk once passionately attached to leaving the EU and the idea of being a Brexiteer now seem to think it something of little note from which we should all move on.

They could at least try and be subtle about their ‘journey’.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

The UK is out, 100% out.

As a sovereign and independent country it is entirely up to us whether or how we choose to "sort out" customs.

We could choose to waive customs checks from here until eternity, and we'd remain out, that's the point of sovereignty we get to choose what our priorities are rather than having another institution determine what our priorities and checks are.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

My wife and I were saying at breakfast that this RAAC scandal typifies the UK's approach to economic development and that it was the same in the 60s and 70s so nothing has changed. Everything is built or made to solve today's problems and fuck the future. Those buildings were made with substandard concrete because the governments of the day didn't want to spend the money on proper concrete and now it's going to cost us 10x as much as today to solve this and replace all of the RAAC in buildings.

We do this in all walks of life too, the UK has got no economic resilience because we never want to spend the 10% extra at the right moments or we cut costs to point where everything behind the curtain is a shit fest.

Today everything is being cut to the bone and our economic resilience is basically zero because the government has decided to prioritise old age spending to buy votes. Back then the same generation who is benefiting from today's largesse decided to cut investment knowing that long term consequences for future generations would be dire.

The baby boomer generation is quite possibly the single most selfish to ever have existed, I hope the next Labour government has got the cojones to tax the fuck out of them, tax the fuck out of inheritance and properly tax high fixed incomes and rent seeking at a significantly higher rate than income. I have very little faith.

Interesting question.

Is the problem with the boomer generation that they're uniquely selfish, or just that they're uniquely numerous which allows them to enact the selfishness that most people would do, given the chance?

Especially now that their parents, the ones who actually experienced wartime deprivation, have passed on and aren't there as a living reality check.

The practical effect is the same, natch, but the political problem and solution is slightly different.

As for government policy after the next election, it doesn't matter what the manifestoes say. Overall, we're going to be paying more for less.
    Uniquely selfish in my experience. My uncles are basically all clueless but because they existed in an era when property was cheap they got to retire between 55 and 60 with defined benefit pensions that they closed off for future generations as "unaffordable" but ask them whether their pension is affordable and they both get genuinely offended and defensive that they signed in good faith blah, blah yet it's not affordable for anyone else to have them.

If the Tories want to win in the future they will need to become the party of revolution against the old selfish ****s just as so many other right wing parties are finding in Europe. The next big political divide is already forming, the selfish old vs the working age young.
    I think that is simplistic.

For a variety of reasons, growth roughly halved in most Western countries, compared to the rates of 1950-2000.
    No, I think it's part of the same discussion. The selfishness is that they know the growth rate had gone down but are unwilling to share the pain of that reduction so have been taking a greater and greater proportion of economic gains for themselves. Spending on investment for future generations, economic resilience and everything outside of old age related areas has been sacrificed as they funnel national growth and productivity gains to themselves. When growth was 4% per year them taking 2% of it wasn't an issue, now that it's 2% per year them taking 2% for themselves is a huge proplblem.
    The sanctity of contract undermines our entire economic system. If the government rips them up unilaterally we are behaving no better than Putin did over Yukos.

A brave politician would make the argument - say for retired civil servants - that they should take a 10% cut and the money go into the pot for future civil servants.

But they need to do the legwork
    I actually think this is one of the reasons the UK will opt for an IMF sponsored restructuring within the next 7-10 years. It will allow the government to restructure those liabilities with cover from the IMF and hand public sector DB pensioners a 30-40% haircut depending on their benefit amount.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,291

Always has been, ever since it was finally unified.
  • Options
    I'm sinking into the Abyss.

Correction, I am sinking my second pint of Wishbone Brewery Abyss. A very nice pint. And 37075 is about to lift us out of Keighley for the third time today.

Happy days.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nobody bought us a thing. We didn't need it. No trimmings, so plenty of dosh left to spend on bubbly.

Sigh.
    Reminded of two student friends who got married while studying. Registry office, reception at home in their two up two down terrace house, wedding meal a big slap-up saucepan of dhal curry and another of rice and BYOB. Still very much together 40+ yrs later. Not every young person has a big do ...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,762

Test

Did you fail or pass?

I suspect a bit of both. I am not typical of course as I was not willing to vote for Johnson in 2019 even if Brexit, which I still wholeheartedly support, was at risk.

But many of those I know who are still Brexiteers are of the opinion that Starmer will make no appreciable difference to it and that competance is what is needed now not ideology.
    And for that Starmer should hang his head in shame.

We have left, we are not going back, but Starmer's silence and inertia in terms of single market membership, FOM and membership of EU bodies we belonged to prior to our joining the Common Market is disgraceful.

What is particularly wicked is, like Johnson before him, Starmer doesn't believe in Brexit, but supports it out of personal political expediency. At least Rishi is a true believer, which I don't agree with, but I appreciate his honesty.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

The GDP story appears nowhere on the Guardian’s digital front page. There are 50 stories. Doesn’t make the cut

Nor does it appear on the specific UK front page

Dig even deeper and it doesn’t even appear on the UK Business page

Quite remarkable. This is a story that upends much of the post-Brexit, Britain-is-bust, sick-man-of-Europe narrative of the last three years. Nowhere to be seen

They did a few terse paragraphs yesterday afternoon then buried it. I get that it makes them uncomfortable - I get that the GDP revision doesn’t suddenly make everything rosy, nor does it mean Britain is thriving like it’s 1999 (if only) - but still. This looks a bit like denial
  • Options

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

The UK is out, 100% out.

As a sovereign and independent country it is entirely up to us whether or how we choose to "sort out" customs.

We could choose to waive customs checks from here until eternity, and we'd remain out, that's the point of sovereignty we get to choose what our priorities are rather than having another institution determine what our priorities and checks are.
    r
    "We don't really need to worry about all those things we Brexiters were going on and on about for decades" isn't entirely a convincing argument.

Especially when sovereignty over a large chunk of the former UK has been signed away in part.
  • Options

Losing bits of eastern Russia to China is the cost of doing business for Putin, I'm sure he will already have known that when he asked for their assistance on Ukraine. That he signed up for such a deal is why Russians need to depose him. The new Chinese map should be leafleted over every single Russian city. The west needs to start winning the propaganda war, that's the only way Putin will be deposed.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

The UK is out, 100% out.

r
    "We don't really need to worry about all those things we Brexiters were going on and on about for decades" isn't entirely a convincing argument.

Especially when sovereignty over a large chunk of the former UK has been signed away in part.
    Except customs checks on EU imports weren't something Brexiteers were going on and on about for decades.

I couldn't care less if those checks are waived indefinitely. So long as the UK can implement its own laws domestically, I have no objections whatsoever to recognising EU imports as an equivalence while not being bound to EU laws.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

This is bonkers: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/01/ex-tory-mp-apologises-for-ancestors-links-to-slavery

Why does she need to apologise for the actions of her ancestors? Ones that she only just found out existed? Is she responsible for them?

I’ve discovered that some of my ancestors fought in 17th century Ireland, and I’m quite sure they acted as 17th century soldiers did. I see no reason to apologise.
    Mrs RP has ancestors who fought in the OG IRA. Is she supposed to apologise for what great-great-grandad did a century ago? What does it have to do with her?
    But there’s quite a bit of ancestor worship about (see folk on Antiques Roadshow getting applauded for having skilfully acquired a great great gran who bought something that’s now worth thousands), perhaps this is needed as a counterbalance?
    I don't think it is at the same level to be honest. Unless you're Arthur Charles Valerian Wellesley, 9th Duke of Wellington, we don't get or rely on social cachet for being related to someone centuries old. Within 1-2 generations, maybe, but not that distant. At best you might have an interestory story to tell or trinket you hold.

Whereas the flagellation movement is all about demonstrating in as overwrought a fashion as possible that you are so much better than some 17th century person, one amongst dozens of ancestors possibly, who may or may not have had an impact on you today.
    Pagan2 said:

OT I'm still finding it hard to believe the British are really going to do this.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2023/07/uk-government-very-close-eroding-encryption-worldwide

Sadly they are and its not only the uk pushing this sort of shit law, australia did it, the eu want to do it , the us is pushing Kosa etc.

Signal and whatsapp have already said they will withdraw from the uk market rather than comply
    Yes, governments are insistent and not enough of the public give a crap about it, so they don't suffer as a consequence.
    Sean_F said:

Perhaps the most corrosive dictum in British public life is Keynes's witty repost, 'in the long run we're all dead'. It belongs in a dictionary of dud epigrams, along with the complete works of Oscar Wilde, but instead it has cast a defining shadow over government policy since the 1930s. On the other hand most of the fine old pre-20th century buildings designed to last centuries were raised with money derived from slavery, colonialism and plunder. We've never really paid our own way - we've just been very inventive finding ways to make others do it for us. And now we've run out of ideas.

Well, we did come up with the Industrial Revolution, which is probably the single greatest blessing that the world has enjoyed.
    One not without some downsides admittedly, but to which some people have a bizarre reaction as if the world's population would have been better off without it ever happening.
    Without the Industrial Revolution, we’d still have 90% of the world’s population living in absolute poverty, slavery and conquest would be normative, and such wealth as there was would be in the hands of a tiny circle of kings, lords, princes, rajas, and mandarins.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,235

Test

Did you fail or pass?

And for that Starmer should hang his head in shame.

We have left, we are not going back, but Starmer's silence and inertia in terms of single market membership, FOM and membership of EU bodies we belonged to prior to our joining the Common Market is disgraceful.

What is particularly wicked is, like Johnson before him, Starmer doesn't believe in Brexit, but supports it out of personal political expediency. At least Rishi is a true believer, which I don't agree with, but I appreciate his honesty.
    There is the belief even if it’s misguided that once in power Labour would move closer to the EU .
  • Options

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

Folk once passionately attached to leaving the EU and the idea of being a Brexiteer now seem to think it something of little note from which we should all move on.

It is not of little note, but it is a part of history now and moving on from history is appropriate. Time to look forward, not back, its done already.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

The Moving Hand Hath Writ, and Having Writ, Moves On.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

My wife and I were saying at breakfast that this RAAC scandal typifies the UK's approach to economic development and that it was the same in the 60s and 70s so nothing has changed. Everything is built or made to solve today's problems and fuck the future. Those buildings were made with substandard concrete because the governments of the day didn't want to spend the money on proper concrete and now it's going to cost us 10x as much as today to solve this and replace all of the RAAC in buildings.

We do this in all walks of life too, the UK has got no economic resilience because we never want to spend the 10% extra at the right moments or we cut costs to point where everything behind the curtain is a shit fest.

Today everything is being cut to the bone and our economic resilience is basically zero because the government has decided to prioritise old age spending to buy votes. Back then the same generation who is benefiting from today's largesse decided to cut investment knowing that long term consequences for future generations would be dire.

The baby boomer generation is quite possibly the single most selfish to ever have existed, I hope the next Labour government has got the cojones to tax the fuck out of them, tax the fuck out of inheritance and properly tax high fixed incomes and rent seeking at a significantly higher rate than income. I have very little faith.

Interesting question.

Is the problem with the boomer generation that they're uniquely selfish, or just that they're uniquely numerous which allows them to enact the selfishness that most people would do, given the chance?

Especially now that their parents, the ones who actually experienced wartime deprivation, have passed on and aren't there as a living reality check.

The practical effect is the same, natch, but the political problem and solution is slightly different.

As for government policy after the next election, it doesn't matter what the manifestoes say. Overall, we're going to be paying more for less.
    Uniquely selfish in my experience. My uncles are basically all clueless but because they existed in an era when property was cheap they got to retire between 55 and 60 with defined benefit pensions that they closed off for future generations as "unaffordable" but ask them whether their pension is affordable and they both get genuinely offended and defensive that they signed in good faith blah, blah yet it's not affordable for anyone else to have them.

If the Tories want to win in the future they will need to become the party of revolution against the old selfish ****s just as so many other right wing parties are finding in Europe. The next big political divide is already forming, the selfish old vs the working age young.

For a variety of reasons, growth roughly halved in most Western countries, compared to the rates of 1950-2000.
    No, I think it's part of the same discussion. The selfishness is that they know the growth rate had gone down but are unwilling to share the pain of that reduction so have been taking a greater and greater proportion of economic gains for themselves. Spending on investment for future generations, economic resilience and everything outside of old age related areas has been sacrificed as they funnel national growth and productivity gains to themselves. When growth was 4% per year them taking 2% of it wasn't an issue, now that it's 2% per year them taking 2% for themselves is a huge proplblem.
    The sanctity of contract undermines our entire economic system. If the government rips them up unilaterally we are behaving no better than Putin did over Yukos.

A brave politician would make the argument - say for retired civil servants - that they should take a 10% cut and the money go into the pot for future civil servants.

I actually think this is one of the reasons the UK will opt for an IMF sponsored restructuring within the next 7-10 years. It will allow the government to restructure those liabilities with cover from the IMF and hand public sector DB pensioners a 30-40% haircut depending on their benefit amount.
    It would be unconscionable to weaken the UK economy deliberately to the point where it needs the IMF. To the extent of being high treason.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,773
    Why would the EU willingly accept us anyway ?

Even if we did rejoin it would hardly be on the same terms we had before.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

Nope it was something of massive note and something I am absolutely delighted over even this long after the vote. But it does not impact on how I will vote in the next election unless a party decides it will try to take us back in again. As far as that goes it is done and votes will be decided on other matters.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

I will never forgive or forget the Tories for Brexit and they will never get my vote. That feeling is shared by most Remainers .
    Then you limit your own democratic options by allowing your views on a single issue to define them for the rest of your life. Nobody else suffers.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

The UK is out, 100% out.

r

Except customs checks on EU imports weren't something Brexiteers were going on and on about for decades.

I couldn't care less if those checks are waived indefinitely. So long as the UK can implement its own laws domestically, I have no objections whatsoever to recognising EU imports as an equivalence while not being bound to EU laws.
    "We want to be different from the Europeans" *means* customs checks, at the most fundamental level. To stop all those nasty foreign jars of stuff measured in kg, for instance.

Pretending you don't want them is just not a reasonable argument.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

REJOIN = West Ham
    STAY OUT = Luton
  • Options
    Taz said:

Why would the EU willingly accept us anyway ?

Even if we did rejoin it would hardly be on the same terms we had before.

Even the FT is admitting that Rejoin is unlikely to happen, ever - and even if it does it will be generations away

There are too many enormous obstacles. They’d want us in the euro and Schengen (so we’re locked in forever); the EU itself is busy Federalising (making it even less appealing); any EU country could veto; no one wants to go through all that bitterness again

It’s done

• Options
    edited September 2023
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.
    I’ve got a general rule of thumb that the bigger the wedding and the more money spent - for a normal young person’s wedding - the more likely they are to divorce, and sooner rather than later

It’s quite an effective predictor: tho not flawless

Some (most?) of the happiest weddings I’ve been to have been the least grand - 30 people in a pub, etc

Yup, I've noticed this too. One of my cousins had a £150k bash at a swanky Mayfair venue, she's now divorced. My wife and I had ~30 people at a church in Basel and ~50 people at a reception in the UK and we're still going strong, I think we spent about £13k in total and everyone had a wonderful evening. There's a performative element to weddings, of course, but I've noticed that the bigger the performance the less secure the relationship. It's classic overcompensation.

I think the biggest controversy at my wedding was that I cut the guest list a lot. We each had ~25 people to invite which meant most of my extended family didn't make it.
    Absolutely right. And of course an enormously expensive wedding puts financial and emotional stress on the relationship, in itself

Kids: don’t book Westminster Abbey. Have forty friends and fam down the boozer, with a nice beer garden - and enjoy the honeymoon
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,222
    MaxPB said:

Losing bits of eastern Russia to China is the cost of doing business for Putin, I'm sure he will already have known that when he asked for their assistance on Ukraine. That he signed up for such a deal is why Russians need to depose him. The new Chinese map should be leafleted over every single Russian city. The west needs to start winning the propaganda war, that's the only way Putin will be deposed.
    Not all parts of the RF have equivalent emotional heft. The median point of Russian opinion on the mainland doesn't really give a fuck about half a island in the middle of nowhere in Siberia but it does care about Odessa and other parts of Novorussia.

In other Russian news, the SMO has come home to the A-Level syllabus. Some students (none of mine) have been marked down for translating 'Mалорусский' as 'Ukrainian' when the correct translation is 'Little Russian'. It's particularly relevant when discussing the character Nakhodka in Maxim Gorky's 'Mother'. There is now a Bakhmut scale fight going on over whether the woke version ('Ukrainian') should supplant the accurate one ('Little Russian').
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting question.

It would be unconscionable to weaken the UK economy deliberately to the point where it needs the IMF. To the extent of being high treason.
    We're not far away from it today. Those off balance sheet liabilities (public sector pensions) that people raised the alarm about in the 00s and 10s are now coming due. They are simply unaffordable and our capacity to borrow is extremely limited, especially in this high interest rate environment. The government will never default or restructure external debt but internal liabilities (pensions and some other classes of spending) will absolutely need a huge haircut and the IMF will insist on it in return for emergency liquidity when the time comes.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,320
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.
    I’ve got a general rule of thumb that the bigger the wedding and the more money spent - for a normal young person’s wedding - the more likely they are to divorce, and sooner rather than later

Some (most?) of the happiest weddings I’ve been to have been the least grand - 30 people in a pub, etc

Yup, I've noticed this too. One of my cousins had a £150k bash at a swanky Mayfair venue, she's now divorced. My wife and I had ~30 people at a church in Basel and ~50 people at a reception in the UK and we're still going strong, I think we spent about £13k in total and everyone had a wonderful evening. There's a performative element to weddings, of course, but I've noticed that the bigger the performance the less secure the relationship. It's classic overcompensation.

I think the biggest controversy at my wedding was that I cut the guest list a lot. We each had ~25 people to invite which meant most of my extended family didn't make it.
    How in holy hell do you spend £150 k on a wedding?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,423

...and absorbing them :(
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,955
    On the precise topic, Brexit is a negative for the Conservatives, when it was a positive for them in 2019. The coalition has moved against them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

I thought you preferred the ones where you got to snort coke and shag one of the bridesmaids?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

The biggest controversy at mine was that the best man had stabbed a Cypriot cop the night before. Fucking LOL.

I hate weddings. Your whole day is fucked and you often don't even get home in time for MotD.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

Absolutely right. And of course an enormously expensive wedding puts financial and emotional stress on the relationship, in itself

Kids: don’t book Westminster Abbey. Have forty friends and fam down the boozer, with a nice beer garden - and enjoy the honeymoon
    The best advice I got from my sister who had a medium expense wedding (~£40k which is considered pretty small by Indian standards) was to have a small wedding and if people get upset at not being invited it's their problem not mine. She worried a lot about that stuff and ended up with a 450 person guest list which she still regrets.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

The UK is out, 100% out.

r

"We want to be different from the Europeans" *means* customs checks, at the most fundamental level. To stop all those nasty foreign jars of stuff measured in kg, for instance.

No, it doesn't.

I can drive a Right Hand Drive vehicle that is different to Europeans Left Hand Drive vehicles, even if others import and drive Left Hand Drive vehicles.

Or I can choose to buy goods measured in kg even if others choose to buy goods measured in lb.

No reason that can't apply to other goods and services too.

We can have our own domestic standards that we apply, and if people aren't happy with that and import foreign standards, then there's nothing wrong with that at all.

"One size fits all" is one of the worst things about the EU. When the EEC began it was about recognising standards as equivalents, not unifying them, a return to that is to be welcomed.

More choice. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

It is not of little note, but it is a part of history now and moving on from history is appropriate. Time to look forward, not back, its done already.
    A thing not going well and its proponents wanting everyone to move on is definitely causation rather than correlation.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

I thought you preferred the ones where you got to snort coke and shag one of the bridesmaids?
    Oh, I’ve enjoyed those - but then, I’m not paying

My own wedding cost maybe £300

Two guests + two witnesses. Then oysters at Sheekeys

And the 3 year marriage was blissfully happy and we only got divorced coz she wants kids and I’ve had mine. We were still very happy

• Options
    FF43 said:

On the precise topic, Brexit is a negative for the Conservatives, when it was a positive for them in 2019. The coalition has moved against them.

It's like having a baby that you hate and decide to leave in a cardboard box outside an Aldi,
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

Be Indian, I think the most lavish wedding I've been to was about half a million. It was quite incredible but, I mean, it's just one day.

I think the best advice I've been given and give to people who want wedding advice is simple - if you make the best day of your life your wedding day then everything from then on is downhill.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,972
    edited September 2023

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

A thing not going well and its proponents wanting everyone to move on is definitely causation rather than correlation.
    Its past tense now though.

Its not "going" anywhere at all as its already finished, its gone well, but having gone well, its still time to move on.

Putting this with the wedding conversation, our wedding day wife was probably my third-best and most important day of my life (behind subsequent birth of each child) but having done that I'm not exactly looking to do it again. Its done now. We're happily married, there's no reason for us to keep redoing our wedding every day to maintain that.

Having done that once is enough. Brexit is done, having done it, no reason to redo it, or revisit it. Its all good, lets move on to next steps.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It had to happen

NEXTA @nexta_tv

And if you did, it makes anything you do now Imperialism by default.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sigh.
    Reminded of two student friends who got married while studying. Registry office, reception at home in their two up two down terrace house, wedding meal a big slap-up saucepan of dhal curry and another of rice and BYOB. Still very much together 40+ yrs later. Not every young person has a big do ...
    Not very different from my wedding and marriage so far. Spent less than £500 in total. Everyone had a great time.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Without the Industrial Revolution, we’d still have 90% of the world’s population living in absolute poverty, slavery and conquest would be normative, and such wealth as there was would be in the hands of a tiny circle of kings, lords, princes, rajas, and mandarins.
    Ah, but it meant burning more coal and led to increases in the population you see, so it was horrible.

If I was 20 years younger I could be the next Greta Thunberg.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,423
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

It's seen as a status symbol. Over-indulgent parents, spoilt children, a desire to impress the neighbours. One benefit of the rich is that thru their boastful stupidity they spread the wealth around poor waitresses, cooks and dressmakers. Although other methods are available.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

FF43 said:

It's like having a baby that you hate and decide to leave in a cardboard box outside an Aldi,
    Brexit baby metaphor alert!
  • Options
    When are we going to ban these HIDEOUS dogs?

The Tories have been captured by the RSPCA and refuse to do it. Fuck the Tories. This is an open goal for Starmer. Just say you will ban these monstrous things. Polls show a ban is broadly popular. Do it

• Options
    Leon said:

The Tories have been captured by the RSPCA and refuse to do it. Fuck the Tories. This is an open goal for Starmer. Just say you will ban these monstrous things. Polls show a ban is broadly popular. Do it

A Spaniel killed a swan in our local park this week. Chased it into the water and killed it. Plod is investigating.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

"That thing we did that you don't like? Stop complaining about it, it's too late now."

Perhaps not the best political slogan ever.

(And I doubt that London Conservatives have that attitude towards, say, ULEZ expansion.)
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,628

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

The UK is out, 100% out.

r

No, it doesn't.

I can drive a Right Hand Drive vehicle that is different to Europeans Left Hand Drive vehicles, even if others import and drive Left Hand Drive vehicles.

Or I can choose to buy goods measured in kg even if others choose to buy goods measured in lb.

We can have our own domestic standards that we apply, and if people aren't happy with that and import foreign standards, then there's nothing wrong with that at all.

"One size fits all" is one of the worst things about the EU. When the EEC began it was about recognising standards as equivalents, not unifying them, a return to that is to be welcomed.

The problem is that we are European. Leaving the EU was like Rhode Island leaving the US. That is the only reason why we haven't, as we are required to do by international treaty, put up customs posts. "Sovereignty" is, and always has been, a myth. As soon as we are reunited with the rest of our country the better.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,972
    edited September 2023
    DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

The UK is out, 100% out.

r

No, it doesn't.

The problem is that we are European. Leaving the EU was like Rhode Island leaving the US. That is the only reason why we haven't, as we are required to do by international treaty, put up customs posts. "Sovereignty" is, and always has been, a myth. As soon as we are reunited with the rest of our country the better.
    That's not a problem, because its not true.

We are European as in the continent, we are no more European as in EU than Canadians are "Americans".

The UK isn't Rhode Island, the UK is Canada.

As a sovereign country its our choice whether we put up customs posts or not, we are not obliged to do so. Many countries choose not to.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

Oh, I’ve enjoyed those - but then, I’m not paying

My own wedding cost maybe £300

Two guests + two witnesses. Then oysters at Sheekeys

And the 3 year marriage was blissfully happy and we only got divorced coz she wants kids and I’ve had mine. We were still very happy

Not too different from ours. After 21 years together we decided it would be prudent to be each other's next of kin. So we got married. Us, the registrar, and two witnesses who happened to be walking past the registry office.

Then a meal for two in a private dining room.

Over the next couple of days we told our parents.

That was 10 years ago.
  • Options
    Leon said:

They're not even an attractive breed.

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

"That thing we did that you don't like? Stop complaining about it, it's too late now."

(And I doubt that London Conservatives have that attitude towards, say, ULEZ expansion.)
    On smaller things it is actually a pretty effective tactic. The new people coming in often don't have time or energy to focus on it, especially as they want to do something big and sexy to get their place in the history books.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

Be Indian, I think the most lavish wedding I've been to was about half a million. It was quite incredible but, I mean, it's just one day.

I think the best advice I've been given and give to people who want wedding advice is simple - if you make the best day of your life your wedding day then everything from then on is downhill.
    We got married in Cyprus as part of a holiday. We said people could come if they wanted and a few did

Cost little really on top of the holiday. It was fabulous.

The most lavish wedding I went to was a Hindu wedding in a place called Hockley in Birmingham. Not a place I’d rush back to. But the wedding was fabulous. A large bottle of whiskey on every table. Fantastic food. Just a great vibe.
  • Options
    I would guess that there are more people living in poverty today than before the Industrial Revolution.

And for a Brucie Bonus, we've fecked the planet.

As an aside, a couple sitting across the aisle discussing whether there are any alternatives to capitalism.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

They're not even an attractive breed.

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

On smaller things it is actually a pretty effective tactic. The new people coming in often don't have time or energy to focus on it, especially as they want to do something big and sexy to get their place in the history books.
    Fair point. However, the catch for Brexit backers and Conservatives is that You-Know-What is a fairly big issue that, unless the EU crumbles like a life-expired school roof, isn't going to go away.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

I would guess that there are more people living in poverty today than before the Industrial Revolution.

Well, that might be because there are a heck of a lot more people to begin with.

And given what people tend to consider poverty now, versus the absolute subsistence level of large proportions of human society throughout history, I would be very skeptical that the day to day experience is worse, outside the absolute worst places in the world today.

And it's not as though people who poo poo the Industrial Revolution want to live in a world where we don't have the modern comforts that have come out of it, so even if they lament the cost it has had, they're not really against that it happened to enable our present lifestyles.

As for the couple discussing alternatives to capitalism, I'm sure there is - I just hope they don't go for an option which has proven it never works in practice only in theory.
  • Options
    Chechen weddings appear to be the only ones that are not a fucking bore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svYWcOP__k
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,697

They've not quite yet reached Russian achievement in that score.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,595
    As the polling shows the Conservatives still clearly lead with Leavers and Labour are even further ahead with Remainers than 2019, so the Brexit divide remains.

However Starmer has clearly won back many redwall Leave voters now Brexit is done and Corbyn and Boris have gone.Some Remainers who voted Tory in 2019 to keep out Corbyn are now willing to vote Starmer Labour or LD, while Sunak was still a Leaver of course
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Never been to an Indian one? :lol:
  • Options
    As a further insight, the woman discussing capitalism had cracking baps.

And I'm stopping after the third pint.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

We're all waiting for the invitation to yours!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

Indian billionaire Mukesh Ambani spent a cool $15 million on his daughter's bash in 2018 (some estimates say $100 million!):

https://www.timesnownews.com/business-economy/companies/article/rs-100-crore-bill-for-a-marriage-yes-it-is-possible-if-you-are-ambanis/329754

• Options

Dura_Ace said:

We're all waiting for the invitation to yours!
    Married to the railways :sunglasses:
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Leon said:

Try defining a dog breed, and then look at the Dangerous Dogs Act of yore.

Alternative is what?

PS And I know, I know. I live in sheep country. I've had to rescue a sheep that ran straight through a barbed wire fence when being worried down in Dorset, too, and that was an ordinary mutt or labrador or something.
  • Options
    NEW WSJ poll showing Trump in commanding shape -- and tied with Biden in general:

Trump 59
    DeSantis 13
    Haley 8
    Ramaswamy 5
    Christie 3
    Pence 2
    Scott 2

78% of Rs: Trump efforts to overturn election "legitimate"

Trump 46
    Biden 46 (in general)

https://x.com/joshkraushaar/status/1697970219568763277
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes and probably the grandest wedding in modern history? Charles and Diana's and just over a year later they were divorced.

Jordan of course has had lots of very expensive weddings and equally expensive divorces
  • Options

NEW WSJ poll showing Trump in commanding shape -- and tied with Biden in general:

Trump 59
    DeSantis 13
    Haley 8
    Ramaswamy 5
    Christie 3
    Pence 2
    Scott 2

78% of Rs: Trump efforts to overturn election "legitimate"

Trump 46
    Biden 46 (in general)

https://x.com/joshkraushaar/status/1697970219568763277

Only 0.9% less than the 46.9% he scored in 2020!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,697
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sigh.

My wife was, at the time, an Oxford college SCR member, so got the use of both chapel and dining hall, and access to the college wine at cost.
    Which was nice.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Yes and probably the grandest wedding in modern history? Charles and Diana's and just over a year later they were divorced.

Jordan of course has had lots of very expensive weddings and equally expensive divorces
    Very odd of you to pick out an Arab country. You sure you haven't muddled the Gulf of Aqaba with the Persian Gulf?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Test

Did you fail or pass?

39% still for Brexit is at least 10% more than the Tories current voteshare.

So the problem for the Tories is now more that some Leavers are voting Starmer Labour or RefUK, under FPTP 39% could even get them a majority again. Only if support for Brexit falls to 25-30% or less would the Tories even consider abandoning support for it and maybe not even then
This discussion has been closed.