Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rob Ford and Matthew Goodwin have news of UKIP’s private po

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Jones, welcome to the site :)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @Graham_Jones_MP

Another Blackburn Rovers supporter !! ....

Have fun with OGH - A Burnley fan .... I'm sure he'll be even handed with you.
  • Options
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Leicester Square from Old Compton Street appears to be his outer limit.

To be fair he's able to do that blindfolded and on his knees.
    Sometimes it's very hard to avoid making an obvious joke.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

@BBCScotlandNews Danny Alexander has just been on the radio denying that Osborne has said there will be no currency union.

The government's PR operation is utterly laughable. Today's shambolic messaging is a classic of the genre.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2014
    But in response to the "this shows why Labour are nowhere in the south-east" comments -- by the same token, might I suggest the reactions in this thread show why the Conservatives have become a southern phenomenon. The righteous indignation at someone who dares to question their dominance and special treatment, and arrogant claims of how they "subsidise" the lazy scroungers from the other regions -- as someone else said, this is a prime example of why the Tories will once again become a southeast enclave at the next election, probably losing major ground even in the southwest (one of the only other regions where they made any real progress in 2010) since they've also been getting inferior treatment to the southeast despite their equally serious floods.
  • Options

QUOTE "…Like other struggling competitors before him, Farage is quick to allege the use of intimidation: “You’re the little old dear at number 33. The postman delivers the ballot paper. Two minutes later, there’s a knock on the door. It’s the Labour canvasser. ‘Do you want some help with that? Can I take that from you?’ They’ve even got a barcoding system.”

I have been there for three weeks.

- There is no barcode system.

- All the postal votes landed at once. That's 19,000 in total. The most people we have had in one day is just over 150 people.

- There are more people Labour hasn't spoken to than have spoken to.

- The only reported incidents by residents have been between the BNP and UKIP. Outside the Mountain Ash pub and then in Sale on a BNP mass canvass. Given the BNP leaflets are predominenetly anti-UKIP I'd guess there has been tension between the two.

- Given that the last poll I saw UKIP were disliked by 57% of voters it is no surprise that signs saying NO BNP or UKIP on this doorstep have appeared and UKIP's unpopularity is not due to 'lack of awareness' but genuine dislike. A reaction to their popularity. It's hardly surprising that Labour canvassers are finding a strong anti-UKIP vote.

- Canvassing Sale Road. There were a lot of UKIP garden posters up (50:50) from people who had not canvassed UKIP. It transpired that most people were not interested in politics and just said alright yes in an 'I'm not bothered' manner. One was unaware he had one in his garden.

-There has been serious questions of the UKIP candidate's claims in newspaper articles. Wythenshawe man living in leafy Cheshire. Self made but who's company did not survive but did take £100,000 of EU cash. Farage has admitted UKIP have a candidate problems as a Party.

It all takes it's toll and if UKIP do lose, then it is simply this; people themselves chose not to vote for them.

What about stories of UKIP supporting pensioners have "nazi, racist scum" shouted in their faces. Are you going to tell us that is untrue as well?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Leicester Square from Old Compton Street appears to be his outer limit.

To be fair he's able to do that blindfolded and on his knees.
    Only after dark, please, Neil.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014

The government's PR operation is utterly laughable. Today's shambolic messaging is a classic of the genre.

Nah, if you want a real classic of the genre, remember this one:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/HYPOCRITE;+Car+clampdown+Prescott+chauffeured+270yds+at+Labour...-a060411671

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/1999/oct/01/labourconference.labour
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

@BBCScotlandNews Danny Alexander has just been on the radio denying that Osborne has said there will be no currency union.

Oh there's far more where that came from.
    The SNP ‏@theSNP 1h

Alistair Darling, Alistair Carmichael and No camp adviser Jim Gallagher citing currency union gains #Indyref #Yes pic.twitter.com/oTBHvFEhnM

The SNP ‏@theSNP 3h

Alistair Carmichael previously stated it would not be “sensible” to rule out a currency union between iScotland & rUK pic.twitter.com/xYkw4ZqOe9
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Eck pwned!

"Scottish independence: UK parties will block money union"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26163637
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited February 2014
    British suicide bomber named

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26156533#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The road he lived down is surely a joke????!!!
  • Options
    GildasGildas Posts: 92

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

The BBC is fairly clear that tomorrow, and in ensuing days, there will be a concerted attack by all the Unionist parties, stating that a shared £ is not on the cards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26161382#TWEET1042458

This makes sense as it is in the interests of all of them (for different reasons) to secure a No vote.

What will Salmond do then? Say they are lying?
  • Options
    Mr. Pork, aren't those all Scottish chaps? If Yes wins then you'll need to have non-Scots on-side.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Eck pwned!

Danny Alexander has just denied the story apparently - here we go again...
  • Options
    How will the Yes campaign cope with figures as popular with the scottish public as Osborne wee Danny and Ed Balls trying to bluff it out and lay down the law?

*tears of laughter etc.*
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

Oh there's far more where that came from.
    The SNP ‏@theSNP 1h

Alistair Darling, Alistair Carmichael and No camp adviser Jim Gallagher citing currency union gains #Indyref #Yes pic.twitter.com/oTBHvFEhnM

The SNP ‏@theSNP 3h

Alistair Carmichael previously stated it would not be “sensible” to rule out a currency union between iScotland & rUK pic.twitter.com/xYkw4ZqOe9

Mick it's always interesting to have a West Country take on things but have you any views from Scotland ?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Ishmael_X said:

Eck pwned!

The Treasury Perm Sec (or one of them, does it have two now?) has "helping the campaign against independence" (or some such wording) as one of his performance targets for the year. The Treasury is no honest broker when it comes to Scottish Independence (which is itself absolutely scandalous to my mind). I'm not sure the unionist parties have made the right call on this but in any event an independent Scotland would have perfectly acceptable alternatives (including using sterling outside a currency union though I dont think that would be the best outcome).
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Eck pwned!

The views of a Scottish Lib Dem (even if correctly reported) are irrelevant. The only views that matter are those of Osborne and Balls. As one of them is going to be Chancellor.

The Tories don't want to break up Britain, Labour are desperate to keep Scotland and SLAB MPs. They will rule out currency union.

Ball in Eck's court.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    We have just had a power surge here in Crosby, which has taken out some of the street lamps, and my two desktops, one perhaps fatally...
  • Options
    Gildas said:

Ishmael_X said:

Eck pwned!

The views of a Scottish Lib Dem (even if correctly reported) are irrelevant.
    The only thing keeping Cammie in power is the lib dems and little Danny is in the quad.
    Sorry to have to break it to you.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

How will the Yes campaign cope with figures as popular with the scottish public as Osborne wee Danny and Ed Balls trying to bluff it out and lay down the law?

*tears of laughter etc.*

I suspect most of them won't have a clue who they are
  • Options
    isam said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26156533#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Seems the house was cursed.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

*tears of laughter etc.*

I suspect most of them won't have a clue who they are
    I suspect more pandas than scottish tory MPs, a lib dem meltdown in scotland and Balls coming to scotland and 'saving' the scottish labour campaign in 2011 proves the scottish public know perfectly well who they are.

But PB tories and kippers know best when it comes to scottish public opinion. Don't you?

:)
  • Options
    Gildas said:

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

The BBC is fairly clear that tomorrow, and in ensuing days, there will be a concerted attack by all the Unionist parties, stating that a shared £ is not on the cards.

This makes sense as it is in the interests of all of them (for different reasons) to secure a No vote.

Use sterling anyway? Montenegro has been using the Euro for years, despite being 'banned' from doing so.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

isam said:

Seems the house was cursed.
    I knew it would be someone from a study circle in Crawley.. they've got form!
  • Options
    Neil said:

Ishmael_X said:

Eck pwned!

The Treasury Perm Sec (or one of them, does it have two now?) has "helping the campaign against independence" (or some such wording) as one of his performance targets for the year. The Treasury is no honest broker when it comes to Scottish Independence (which is itself absolutely scandalous to my mind). I'm not sure the unionist parties have made the right call on this but in any event an independent Scotland would have perfectly acceptable alternatives (including using sterling outside a currency union though I dont think that would be the best outcome).
    1. Trouble is, the Nats have foolishly nailed their colours to a shared sterling zone. Now that this is apparently unavailable they have to retreat to a Plan B. This is not ideal when selling independence as a no-risk bet. Is it?

2. What the F is plan B anyway? Joining the euro is unfeasible for now. Using sterling outside a union is worse than being inside the union - they will e subject to rUK interest rates with no political or fiscal control at all, no lender of last resort &c.

3. That leaves an independent Scottish currency, as far as I can see. But then they would face penal interest rates as they fought to achieve credibility.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

Pulpstar said:

Odss on winning the Premier League versus deficit.

Chelsea 7/4 (0)
    Arsenal 6/1 (2)
    Man City 6/5 (3)
    Liverpool 10/1 (7)
    Tottenham 200/1 (10)

Everyone has a game in hand on Chelsea. But what strikes me is how a 3 point deficit sees Spurs considered 20 times less likely to win the League than Liverpool. Are they really such no hopers?

Dunno but I took a couple of quid on Betfair on Arsenal as they were getting thrashed at Anfield. Markets always seem to overreact like that.

Arsenal will find a way to win it. City and Chelsea are better sides when at their best, but they seem to struggle sometimes to put poorer opposition away. Arsenal are pretty ruthless on that front. Lots of last minute goals. Anyone who has seen a bit of Spurs this season might hesitate to say they'll even finish in the top 6 - that will depend on Man Utd sustaining their current crappiness. Spurs getting close to wining the PL is totally and utterly out of the question.
    They can't be that bad with 47 points from 25 games. Do you put it all down to luck? Arsenal don't win trophies anymore. It's all about getting into the top 4 and continually qualifying for the Champions League. Silverware isn't a necessary part of the business model.
  • Options

Gildas said:

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

Use sterling anyway? Montenegro has been using the Euro for years, despite being 'banned' from doing so.

You still haven't grasped what a currency is.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Mick_Pork said:

But PB tories and kippers know best when it comes to scottish public opinion. Don't you?

Well, the PB tories knew you weren't getting a currency union, so I guess that must make them smarter than Wee Eck?

• Options
    Iain McRobbie ‏@iainmcr2 17m

@blairmcdougall @meljomur we either share currency and share debt or none of those they go hand in hand and you know it

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited February 2014
    On a lighter note. The Lib Dems infamous by election machine is stuttering...
    http://www.libdemvoice.org/aldcs-byelection-report-6-february-2014-38205.html

"four principal by-elections last Thursday. The Liberal Democrats received disappointing results in the two by-elections they stood candidates in."
    "... Liberal Democrat candidate John Candler came fourth with 15.2% of the vote. ..
    ....Sue Ross for the Liberal Democrats came fifth of eight with 6%."

"On a brighter note we congratulate Liberal Democrat Richard Shrimpton who gained a seat from the Independents on Rawcliffe Parish Council in an unopposed election."
  • Options
    @Gildas

It's made out to be a big deal but I'm not so sure taking the currency union ball home is going to seal the deal for the unionists. Particularly if Osborne is seen to be the one to do it. I bet some people will be tempted to vote 'yes' just to see the snide grin wiped off his face.
  • Options
    I can understand why the unionists are ruling out a currency union but could they legally do that? You might think the Scots voting to leave the Union would mean they forfeited their right to control over the UK currency. But is that strictly true. Would they be entitled to negotiate which bits of the UK they wanted to keep? If assest are divided up does that include something like the Bank of England too?
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Well, the PB tories knew you weren't getting a currency union
    I certainly haven't forgotten that gullible PB tories always believe posturing without thinking it through. That's how Cammie keeps getting humiliated by his own backbenchers after all his Cast Iron Pledges and promises turn to dust.

• Options
    So this new country Scotland is going to default on its debts - and borrow money in the markets how?

*chortle*

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Having read that story on the BBC site about the treasury advice on a possible currency union I am at a loss to know what the fuss is about. The treasury don't seem to be saying anything that isn't common sense and, what is more, hasn't been demonstrated as true by the events in the Euro over recent years. For Alexander, Balls and Osborne to say that they accept the advice of HM Treasury seems no more than could be expected on such a technical and not political bit of advice.

Perhaps, on reflection, that is the problem. Someone has spoken truth unto power and the people who want the power don't like the truth.

*tears of laughter* unspoofable, etc.*

I don't know what the phrases mean but they seem obligatory in any post discussing the issue of Sottish Independence on this site.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

@blairmcdougall @meljomur we either share currency and share debt or none of those they go hand in hand and you know it

I'm not sure this kind of nationalist bleating is exactly showing the best side of Scotland the brave.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/02/george-osborne-gives-alex-salmond-a-lesson-in-power-politics/
  • Options
    Phew! both desktops still alive...
  • Options

I can understand why the unionists are ruling out a currency union but could they legally do that?

They cant legally bind the next Parliament but given they are likely, between them, to control the next Parliament they can say what they will do. You cant force a country (either rUK or Scotland) into a currency union against its will. You can try to persuade them its in their interests but when they have contracted out the decision to people who have a vested interest in opposing independence they may not get the right answer.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Gildas

It's made out to be a big deal but I'm not so sure taking the currency union ball home is going to seal the deal for the unionists. Particularly if Osborne is seen to be the one to do it. I bet some people will be tempted to vote 'yes' just to see the snide grin wiped off his face.

2% of the scottish public rated it as the important consideration while it was 8th in the list of issues for indendence. Having the toxic Osbrowne fronting the posturing will be making SLAB shiver in fear. There's already a breakaway scottish labour No group that won't go near the tories and this will just pile on the pressure.
  • Options

Gildas said:

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

There are serious problems with using a foreign currency with no fixed arrangements for mutual fiscal oversight. Montenegro is unable to print euros, has no lender of last resort, no say over interest rates and forex rates, and is now anyway knuckling under and agreeing to eurozone rules:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegro_and_the_euro

It's a solution of sorts but my bet is that it would be a humiliating solution for Salmond.
  • Options
    Gildas said:

It's a solution of sorts but my bet is that it would be a humiliating solution for Salmond.

I agree it doesnt seem the best solution. A "scottish pound" pegged at parity to sterling would seem to be a better approach if a currency union is ruled out. I mean they already have separate notes so who would even notice?
  • Options
    Looks like my broadband is dying though...
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Neil

'A "scottish pound" pegged at parity to sterling would seem to be a better approach if a currency union is ruled out'

That seemed to work out for Ireland prior to the Punt.
  • Options
    Gildas said:

Gildas said:

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

There are serious problems with using a foreign currency with no fixed arrangements for mutual fiscal oversight. Montenegro is unable to print euros, has no lender of last resort, no say over interest rates and forex rates, and is now anyway knuckling under and agreeing to eurozone rules:

It would be utterly humiliating for Salmond. He'd have turned Scotland into John Bull's back yard.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

rUK could afford to shoulder Scotland's debts if Scotland reneges (though it would invoke enormous enmity between the two nations and lead to serious bitterness: hardly inducive to creating the "friendly neighbours" Salmond promises). You could then expect rUK to make counterclaims on Scottish oil assets (developed by UK firms etc).

All very very unplesant, not the velvet divorce the Nats are trying to sell.

Plus Scotland would then have a bitch of a time trying to raise money on the international markets: Scotland, the new country that defaulted on its debts before it even started. Good luck with that.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

chortle

who the f is Blair Mcdougall ? You've made that up like Hamish Mcporridge,
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Neil

'A "scottish pound" pegged at parity to sterling would seem to be a better approach if a currency union is ruled out'

That seemed to work out for Ireland prior to the Punt.

No, that was the Punt (for the first 50 years of its existence), prior to that the Free State just used sterling, after that the Punt left a sterling peg and joined the EMS (effectively a DM peg).
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Mick_Pork said:

Neil said:

@Gildas

2% of the scottish public rated it as the important consideration while it was 8th in the list of issues for indendence. Having the toxic Osbrowne fronting the posturing will be making SLAB shiver in fear. There's already a breakaway scottish labour No group that won't go near the tories and this will just pile on the pressure.
    I'm not sure "unionism" isn't a bit of a myth. The sane Englishman in the street thinks it makes no odds whatever to him what happens to Scotland, and a hell of a lot of difference to Scotland, and vaguely hopes the outcome is whatever's best for Scotland. Refusing a currency union needn't be evidence of a cunning plan rather than a disinclination to get involved in an arrangement which will cost rUK a great deal of time and effort and yield no benefit whatsoever. If Eck's vision thing doesn't extend to having his own currency when even Iceland (pop. 340,000 - half of Glasgow) cam manage it what is his problem?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Gildas said:

though it would invoke enormous enmity between the two nations and lead to serious bitterness: hardly inducive to creating the "friendly neighbours" Salmond promises

Have you been drinking very heavily? What planet are you living on when you actually believe a tory as toxic as Osborne is in scotland will be able to posture on denying use of the pound without that being seen by the scottish public as creating emnity and serious bitterness?

ROFL

I've already seen some bystander interviews on the scottish news positing Osborne's stance and they were not good for the No campaign. Quite the reverse.

You must be a very dainty and posh chap to be so delightfully naive.

*chortle*

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

Mick_Pork said:

chortle

Er, no, he hasn't- Mr McDougall is the well-known front man for the No campaign, Tories, LD and Labour all united together. I think he was a Labour spad but anyway if you google you will find plenty of portraits of this gentleman. He could of course make himself even better known if he and his colleagues actually came to public meetings when invited.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Odss on winning the Premier League versus deficit.

Chelsea 7/4 (0)
    Arsenal 6/1 (2)
    Man City 6/5 (3)
    Liverpool 10/1 (7)
    Tottenham 200/1 (10)

Everyone has a game in hand on Chelsea. But what strikes me is how a 3 point deficit sees Spurs considered 20 times less likely to win the League than Liverpool. Are they really such no hopers?

Dunno but I took a couple of quid on Betfair on Arsenal as they were getting thrashed at Anfield. Markets always seem to overreact like that.

Arsenal will find a way to win it. City and Chelsea are better sides when at their best, but they seem to struggle sometimes to put poorer opposition away. Arsenal are pretty ruthless on that front. Lots of last minute goals. Anyone who has seen a bit of Spurs this season might hesitate to say they'll even finish in the top 6 - that will depend on Man Utd sustaining their current crappiness. Spurs getting close to wining the PL is totally and utterly out of the question.
    They can't be that bad with 47 points from 25 games. Do you put it all down to luck? Arsenal don't win trophies anymore. It's all about getting into the top 4 and continually qualifying for the Champions League. Silverware isn't a necessary part of the business model.
    No chance Arsenal will win it, the annual bottle fest has begun, third is the best they can hope for. City will win itt with a game to spare
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

chortle

Er, no, he hasn't- Mr McDougall is the well-known front man for the No campaign, Tories, LD and Labour all united together. I think he was a Labour spad but anyway if you google you will find plenty of portraits of this gentleman. He could of course make himself even better known if he and his colleagues actually came to public meetings when invited.

Carnyx I remember when Scots understood a leg pull.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Neil

Thanks for the clarification,I thought it was only called the Punt after it left the sterling peg,prior to that it was the Irish pound.
  • Options
    The SNP seem to have got themselves in a position where their lender of last resort will have to be Wonga....
  • Options
    Neil said:

I can understand why the unionists are ruling out a currency union but could they legally do that?

They cant legally bind the next Parliament but given they are likely, between them, to control the next Parliament they can say what they will do. You cant force a country (either rUK or Scotland) into a currency union against its will. You can try to persuade them its in their interests but when they have contracted out the decision to people who have a vested interest in opposing independence they may not get the right answer.
    I'm not referring to binding the next parliament. The truth is we already have a currency union. The argument used by the Nats is 'it's our currency aswell.' We see it as them leaving the UK. They see it as suing for divorce. If your wife chooses to divorce you I don't believe you get to keep the joint bank account because it was her decision to initiate the separation. Are we to be considered the successor state.

The other interesting, laughable and rather disquieting aspect about this referendum is the question. It doesn't even mention leaving the UK! Should Scotland be an independent country? It could be interpreted as an appeal to a state of mind rather than a practical set of circumstances.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    Ishmael_X said:

Mick_Pork said:

Neil said:

@Gildas

I'm not sure "unionism" isn't a bit of a myth. The sane Englishman in the street thinks it makes no odds whatever to him what happens to Scotland, and a hell of a lot of difference to Scotland, and vaguely hopes the outcome is whatever's best for Scotland. Refusing a currency union needn't be evidence of a cunning plan rather than a disinclination to get involved in an arrangement which will cost rUK a great deal of time and effort and yield no benefit whatsoever. If Eck's vision thing doesn't extend to having his own currency when even Iceland (pop. 340,000 - half of Glasgow) cam manage it what is his problem?

Mr A. Darling used to say that a currency union was the most sensible thing - but that was just before he got his current job as convener of the No campaign. And there ARE benefits to EWNI in the currency union - balance of payments, important trade partner, etc. The question to my mind is, rather, why London is so terrified of being under the same fiscal controls as Scotland as proposed by Mr Carney.

• Options
    Neil said:

Gildas said:

I agree it doesnt seem the best solution. A "scottish pound" pegged at parity to sterling would seem to be a better approach if a currency union is ruled out. I mean they already have separate notes so who would even notice?
    Why pegged to Sterling, though? If I were a Scot I'd be voting for independence, not some pseudo independence where London's mismanagement of its economy affected the value of my currency.

Tears of laughter, unspoofable, Cammie, Osbrowne and other such like incantations necessary for a Scots Independence related post.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

- Given that the last poll I saw UKIP were disliked by 57% of voters

What poll is this?

• Options

Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

chortle

What makes you think Carnyx is Scottish? She's a devotee of the mad Somerset cleric.
  • Options

Tears of laughter, unspoofable, Cammie, Osbrowne and other such like incantations necessary for a Scots Independence related post.

Total ignorance of scottish public opinion by PB tories is usually the hallmark.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

The last few days really show the ludicrous extent the Establishment pampers the South East, at the expense of everyone else. Apparently "money is no object" as soon as they have to face a bit of hardship and their luxurious middle-class lifestyles are slightly interrupted for a few days, but any other region faces devastating hardship and they're told to suck it up because the main priority is bringing down the deficit to satisfy "the markets".

No wonder the Scots are thinking about going independent. Hell, sometimes I find myself hoping wistfully about northern England breaking away, so that we're not trampled over by the will of middle-class darlings from the Home Counties.

London should declare independence. We're not appreciated by those that we subsidise and we could use our resources far more effectively to address the very real needs that London has.

You can keep the pound. I expect a separate London currency could just about survive.
    Be a bit more difficult when you did not have the rest of the country to pay for your bloated infrastructure. London £2700 a year per head on public spending on infrastructure, North East England £5 per head. Tell me who is subsidised.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ishmael_X said:

Mick_Pork said:

Neil said:

@Gildas

Mr A. Darling used to say that a currency union was the most sensible thing - but that was just before he got his current job as convener of the No campaign. And there ARE benefits to EWNI in the currency union - balance of payments, important trade partner, etc. The question to my mind is, rather, why London is so terrified of being under the same fiscal controls as Scotland as proposed by Mr Carney.

perhaps you should also look at that the other way why do nats want Currency Union when it involves the cession of key economic decisions. If they want independence then they should have an independent currency. Why won't they let go of the apron strings ?
  • Options

Neil said:

Gildas said:

Why pegged to Sterling, though? If I were a Scot I'd be voting for independence, not some pseudo independence where London's mismanagement of its economy affected the value of my currency.

Spot on Mr L. Independence means your own currency. The ability to set your own interest rates, float the currency on markets according to your own needs, issue your own govt debt without permission. Salmond is simply being dishonest.
  • Options
    Gildas said:

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

BBC the propaganda organ of Westminster. Float that Westminster will be tough and say NO , reality they will all carp it and use weasely words , given we all know they will be desperate to have a currency union once it is YES. Unionists are in a total panic.
  • Options
    As the PB tories pontificate amusingly on Independence the water just keeps rising.
    Prime Economics ‏@primeeconomics 58m

PM Cameron clarifies, when he says “money is no object” he doesn't now mean that “money is no object”.Hope that helps http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fb65b5a4-93e9-11e3-bf0c-00144feab7de.html?siteedition=intl#axzz2t152XKPs
    No surprise they want to talk about anything other than the crisis dominating the news.
    The Telegraph ‏@Telegraph 12m

Army chief calls #floods an "unparalleled natural crisis" - latest updates: http://fw.to/MOIrQHD
  • Options

QUOTE "…Like other struggling competitors before him, Farage is quick to allege the use of intimidation: “You’re the little old dear at number 33. The postman delivers the ballot paper. Two minutes later, there’s a knock on the door. It’s the Labour canvasser. ‘Do you want some help with that? Can I take that from you?’ They’ve even got a barcoding system.”

I have been there for three weeks.

- There is no barcode system.

- All the postal votes landed at once. That's 19,000 in total. The most people we have had in one day is just over 150 people.

- There are more people Labour hasn't spoken to than have spoken to.

- The only reported incidents by residents have been between the BNP and UKIP. Outside the Mountain Ash pub and then in Sale on a BNP mass canvass. Given the BNP leaflets are predominenetly anti-UKIP I'd guess there has been tension between the two.

- Given that the last poll I saw UKIP were disliked by 57% of voters it is no surprise that signs saying NO BNP or UKIP on this doorstep have appeared and UKIP's unpopularity is not due to 'lack of awareness' but genuine dislike. A reaction to their popularity. It's hardly surprising that Labour canvassers are finding a strong anti-UKIP vote.

- Canvassing Sale Road. There were a lot of UKIP garden posters up (50:50) from people who had not canvassed UKIP. It transpired that most people were not interested in politics and just said alright yes in an 'I'm not bothered' manner. One was unaware he had one in his garden.

-There has been serious questions of the UKIP candidate's claims in newspaper articles. Wythenshawe man living in leafy Cheshire. Self made but who's company did not survive but did take £100,000 of EU cash. Farage has admitted UKIP have a candidate problems as a Party.

It all takes it's toll and if UKIP do lose, then it is simply this; people themselves chose not to vote for them.

Ah a Labour MP. So it must be the truth then........
  • Options

Gildas said:

Gildas said:

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

It would be utterly humiliating for Salmond. He'd have turned Scotland into John Bull's back yard.

You forgot to add that you were talking Bull manure Monica
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

chortle

What makes you think Carnyx is Scottish? She's a devotee of the mad Somerset cleric.
    I quite happily converse with the PB Nats as you know MdC, I even miss the madness called James Kelly. It always reminds me of that cut off your nose to spite your face attitude that celts have and southern softies don't. Some of the UKs best moments have come from that mildly insane strain.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Gildas said:

Mick_Pork said:

Annette ‏@brandane01 2m

BBC the propaganda organ of Westminster. Float that Westminster will be tough and say NO , reality they will all carp it and use weasely words , given we all know they will be desperate to have a currency union once it is YES. Unionists are in a total panic.
    I remember some years ago Osborne musing about playing the Scotland card. I think he's just played it. Devastatingly.
  • Options
    I see Ladbrokes have cut the odds on a currency union to 1/3. Shortened but they obviously know Osborne et all do not have the gonads to make a stand. Will be a laugh to hear squeaky backtracking tomorrow, what weasely words will he use to get round being feart to say NO.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Total ignorance of Scottish public opinion by PB tories is usually the hallmark.
    Surely, Mr. Pork, you are not suggesting I am a Tory supporter. If so I suggest you look at my record of posts on this site as regards Cameron. Or could it be that you regard anyone who questions your views as a PB Tory?

Tears of laughter, unspoofable, Cammie, Osbrowne, etc., oh and I forgot last time, Chorttles

P.S. What do you think is wrong with my suggestion that an independent country should have its own currency?
  • Options
    Oh dear I also see that bot Barclays and RBS have said they will have no issues with a YES vote. Another canard bites the dust.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

chortle

I quite happily converse with the PB Nats as you know MdC, I even miss the madness called James Kelly. It always reminds me of that cut off your nose to spite your face attitude that celts have and southern softies don't. Some of the UKs best moments have come from that mildly insane strain.
    James Kelly's great merit was that he was the only genuine left winger on PB.

That explains why he wanted nothing to do with the Labour party.

Still you are right about the self-destructive genes that came with his nationality.

Another poster I would welcome back.
  • Options

Salmond is simply being dishonest.

Do you seriously think it's a good idea for the No campaign to force the scottish public to choose between Osborne and Salmond to see which one they think is being dishonest?

Good luck with that.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Do you seriously think it's a good idea for the No campaign to force the scottish public to choose between Osborne and Salmond to see which one they think is being dishonest?

Good luck with that.

If that were the choice, but it isn't. The Scots are choosing which country they want to live in for the next couple of centuries not which transient twat they like least.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

chortle

Kelly had a sweetness and sincerity quite lacking from the rancid Nat remnants on PB.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Good luck with that.

And there you have it in a nutshell: Scottishness trumps the truth.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

chortle

Kelly had a sweetness and sincerity quite lacking from the rancid Nat remnants on PB.

If mental gymnastics were an Olympic Sport James would be a cert for Scotland's first gold medal.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    malcolmg said:

I see Ladbrokes have cut the odds on a currency union to 1/3. Shortened but they obviously know Osborne et all do not have the gonads to make a stand. Will be a laugh to hear squeaky backtracking tomorrow, what weasely words will he use to get round being feart to say NO.

The bet as shown on wings over scotland is not about currency union it is whether you will be using sterling as your currency. Currency union would fulfil the criteria as would using the pound under a dollarisation style stopgap measure

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

Good luck with that.

But it's not scottishmess, the Nats aren't Scotland.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

Good luck with that.

If that were the choice, but it isn't.

Osborne seems pretty intent on making it the choice in case you didn't notice. You think he can pretend he's someone else? No. That won't work at all.

The Scots are choosing which country they want to live in for the next couple of centuries not which transient twat they like least.

I can well understand why a No supporter would like to believe that, what with a copious overabundance of twats on the No side to choose from, but I'm afraid that's just not how it works. Trust is at the heart of this just as much as it is for any other referendum or a GE. The toxic Clegg was used mercilessly by the tories and No to AV so we'll have none of this absurd nonsense about trust not mattering now. All the more unfortunate now that Clegg is on your side for No, but that's just one of life's vastly amusing ironies, isn't it?

• Options

Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

chortle

Most of them still do....its the Cybernats who have had the humourectomy.....

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Oh dear I also see that bot Barclays and RBS have said they will have no issues with a YES vote. Another canard bites the dust.

malcolmg said:

Well as I understand it the head of RBS said they "could adapt" (whatever that actually means). However given the UK taxpayer is the effectively controlling factor as Vince Cable speculated

Mr Cable previously told a committee of MPs that, under independence RBS - bailed out by UK taxpayers to the tune of £46bn in 2008 - would want to be based where it was "protected against the risk of collapse".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26152171
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Good luck with that.

If the Nats are already playing 'more Scottish than thou' they are clearly on the run.....
  • Options

Why pegged to Sterling, though?

Because most of Scotland's trade will be with the sterling zone. Over time I wouldnt be surprised to see Scotland follow Ireland in decoupling from sterling and hitching up to the DM / euro but that's probably for the future.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    Thanks to Graham Jones for looking in with a detailed report from the front.

This has familiar discussion but an unusual conclusion:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/pollingobservatory/100259331/conservative-pundits-hope-2015-will-be-like-1992-but-the-polls-suggests-that-it-could-be-more-like-1997/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Good luck with that.

If that were the choice, but it isn't.

The Scots are choosing which country they want to live in for the next couple of centuries not which transient twat they like least.

Trust is at the heart of this
    Automatic membership of the EU

Automatic membership of NATO

No free tuition for EWNI students

Guaranteed Sterling zone

How's that 'trust' thing working out for you?

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

Good luck with that.

You certainly have the "nut" right on your part.
    A feeble straw man even by PB's standards.

Scottish public opinion matters and anyone who thinks otherwise has either their head up their own arse or Osbornes in an attempt to deny the obvious.

• Options

Thanks to Graham Jones for looking in with a detailed report from the front.
    This has familiar discussion but an unusual conclusion:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/pollingobservatory/100259331/conservative-pundits-hope-2015-will-be-like-1992-but-the-polls-suggests-that-it-could-be-more-like-1997/

A couple of questions have been raised, be nice if he answered them
  • Options
    Neil said:

Why pegged to Sterling, though?

Because most of Scotland's trade will be with the sterling zone. Over time I wouldnt be surprised to see Scotland follow Ireland in decoupling from sterling and hitching up to the DM / euro but that's probably for the future.
    Ireland's biggest trading partner is the UK, but you don't use Sterling. There's no reason for Indyscot to use Sterling bar Salmond's fear of scaring the voters.
  • Options
    Should doubles luge be shown on telly before the watershed? It seems very .. intimate.
  • Options
    Sky: man electrocuted after attempting to move a tree which had brought down power lines near Chippenham...
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke

And the major reason for ruling out a currency union right now would appear to be to try to scare the voters.
  • Options
    From Wiki:
    Mr Jones partner is Kimberley Whitehead. He was previously married to Paula née Courtney and has one son. He also has a daughter with Miss Whitehead.[7]

He is a lifelong supporter of Blackburn Rovers....
    Auntie-Hortence OGH will no doubt enter into some chrisgoo-like debates very soon....
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Alanbrooke

And the major reason for ruling out a currency union right now would appear to be to try to scare the voters.

Or the desire to provide clarity?

Both the Nats & Scottish voters keep saying they 'want greater clarity'.

Now they've got it.

And once again, a Salmond promise, not within his gift, proves worthless.

Meanwhile the 'we won't pay our share of the debt' is raising an even bigger laugh ('but you'll still go on administering our pensions & we can borrow on the bond market, can't we?') than the EU 'legal advice'......

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Neil said:

@Alanbrooke

What rational reason is there for a joint currency ? Salmond has moved from rubbishing Sterling to suddenly wanting it post Euro crisis because that was even scarier, Salmond can either issue his own currency or join the Euro since you tell me that's where Scotland is headed.

In the meantime what's the benefit for EWNI in a union ? We're top scapegoat every time there's an economic problem in Scotland, there's no thanks for when things go well, there's the need to manage somebody else's problem if oil goes silly and we'll always end up suboptimising our own best interests because we've got a back seat driver.

For scotland it's even worse, they have to ask permission to issue their own debt, they can't set interest rates for themselves, they're exposed to every idiot UK CoE ( and we've had crap ones continuously since 1997 ) and if oil goes silly they have their hands tied behind their backs.

So if the consequences scare Scots it sodding well should,
  • Options

Neil said:

@Alanbrooke

What rational reason is there for a joint currency ? Salmond has moved from rubbishing Sterling to suddenly wanting it post Euro crisis because that was even scarier, Salmond can either issue his own currency or join the Euro since you tell me that's where Scotland is headed.

In the meantime what's the benefit for EWNI in a union ? We're top scapegoat every time there's an economic problem in Scotland, there's no thanks for when things go well, there's the need to manage somebody else's problem if oil goes silly and we'll always end up suboptimising our own best interests because we've got a back seat driver.

For scotland it's even worse, they have to ask permission to issue their own debt, they can't set interest rates for themselves, they're exposed to every idiot UK CoE ( and we've had crap ones continuously from 1997 to 2010) and if oil goes silly they have their hands tied behind their backs.

So if the consequences scare Scots it sodding well should,
    [Edited]

• Options

What rational reason is there for a joint currency ?

Trade.
This discussion has been closed.