Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Biden ad featuring just a Trump speech – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,403
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

It's time to withdraw not just 1ps and 2ps from circulation, but credit/debit cards too.

We all use our phone for everything. They are fundamentally more secure (you need a PIN/fingerprint/face scan) to pay for anything. And we carry them with anyway.

Let's start a campaign to get phones accepted anywhere a credit/debit card is. Cash machines. Shops. Public transport. Parking machines*. Etc.

The environmental savings would be enormous. No more little bits of plastic. And we'd no longer need to carry a wallet in addition to our phones for the once in a blue moon occasion when we need our Halifax Cash Card.

* I would, however, ban those stupid parking apps, each of which appears to have been written by an incompetent nine year old.

Someone else opined recently that they objected to ID cards, until they realised their phone has all the relevant data now anyway
    For the umpteenth time, the primary threat with ID cards isn't the card itself, its the database.

A bunch of segregated and firewalled databases are far better, and far safer, than a unified database that links everything.

Just look at what's happening with the NI database leak. Then scale that up.

That is why ID cards are a dystopian threat and must be opposed vehemently.
    An ID card that acts as a statement of who you are and your right to work would solve a lot of problems - for a lot of people. I've seen a lot of reports of people not getting jobs because they don't have a passport so it's too much hassle to confirm they right to work and the company moves on to the next candidate.

It was the attaching of the ID card to 5000 different datasets and databases that was and is a problem.
    Yes, if there was a guarantee both that you do not have to carry the card while out, and that the card could not be linked to any other database then that would solve a lot of worries.

But we all know the agenda of the Civil Service.
    Yep: no meeting after 330pm.

But what does that to do with ID cards?
    If they only have works meetings before 3.30 their alcohol problem must be even worse than I thought.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446

Foxy said:

Westminster Voting Intention (Corbyn as Labour Leader):

LAB: 36% (-10)
    CON: 35% (+7)
    LDM: 15% (+4)
    RFM: 6% (=)
    GRN: 5% (=)
    SNP: 3% (=)

Via @Moreincommon_, Aug 2023.
    Changes w/ Regular VI.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1692502327880556941?t=X8bfvMQ-SAuYGxTEqjxoMg&s=19

@Bigjohnowls fans please explain.

Baxtered I still get to Labour on 300 seats with that - just.

So Corbyn would still be PM. He'd need LDs/SNP/SDLP though.
    Although the Cons are only 30 seats behind on 270 seats and with an election campaign and targeting could possibly flip that (particularly since a mid-term poll).

I reckon if it was Corbyn v. Sunak the latter would still come ahead on seats on the day.
    But the comparison should be Corbyn versus Truss.
    Well, we can make any comparison we like but I don't think that's what that poll was intended to measure.

If Starmer got ejected tomorrow for Corbyn then I think that's what would happen. Probably a very weak Con minority.
    I think Sunak has a much higher probability of being replaced by some nutter before the election than Starmer does. I agree though, Sunak vs Corbyn would probably mean Sunak stays PM. Luckily not going to happen.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,139
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

It's time to withdraw not just 1ps and 2ps from circulation, but credit/debit cards too.

We all use our phone for everything. They are fundamentally more secure (you need a PIN/fingerprint/face scan) to pay for anything. And we carry them with anyway.

Let's start a campaign to get phones accepted anywhere a credit/debit card is. Cash machines. Shops. Public transport. Parking machines*. Etc.

The environmental savings would be enormous. No more little bits of plastic. And we'd no longer need to carry a wallet in addition to our phones for the once in a blue moon occasion when we need our Halifax Cash Card.

* I would, however, ban those stupid parking apps, each of which appears to have been written by an incompetent nine year old.

Someone else opined recently that they objected to ID cards, until they realised their phone has all the relevant data now anyway
    For the umpteenth time, the primary threat with ID cards isn't the card itself, its the database.

A bunch of segregated and firewalled databases are far better, and far safer, than a unified database that links everything.

Just look at what's happening with the NI database leak. Then scale that up.

That is why ID cards are a dystopian threat and must be opposed vehemently.
    An ID card that acts as a statement of who you are and your right to work would solve a lot of problems - for a lot of people. I've seen a lot of reports of people not getting jobs because they don't have a passport so it's too much hassle to confirm they right to work and the company moves on to the next candidate.

It was the attaching of the ID card to 5000 different datasets and databases that was and is a problem.
    Yes, if there was a guarantee both that you do not have to carry the card while out, and that the card could not be linked to any other database then that would solve a lot of worries.

But we all know the agenda of the Civil Service.
    Yep: no meeting after 330pm.

But what does that to do with ID cards?
    If they only have works meetings before 3.30 their alcohol problem must be even worse than I thought.
    Flexitime - lots of parents rely on it, so don't start a meeting at 3.30 if possible.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,139

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a left-field idea to solve the parking app problem: have the government create a single national parking app. They could make it illegal for anyone outside the system to issue fines.
    I had a brilliant idea for an app a few years ago:

It would turn anyone with the app into a parking warden, and you would get a percentage of the fines you generated.

Illegal parking would largely be eliminated overnight. Councils would save a fortune as they wouldn't need enforcement staff.

But my wife threatened to leave me if I implemented it.

:disappointed:
    I support your wife's message.

My goodness that sounds horrific, like the worst attitudes of Covid lockdowns, people set against each other.

The scary thing is it would take off too. People love to curtain twitch and have a go at others.
    I disagree, it'd be great for sorting out pavement parking, and who could complain except the drivers who make life a misery?

People ring up and complain already anyway, so this is just doing for that what the apps for reporting blocked drans etc do already.
    I would.

I never park illegally, so that's not my problem. No objections to that.

I object to an attitude where people should be reporting on each other for everything.

Without wanting to Godwin, getting people to report their families and neighbours is straight out of the Nazi playbook.
    Phoning the police about neds vandalising the wall = good.

Phoning the police about middle aged males vandalising the pavement and putting mothers and families at risk = bad?

Doesn't compute.
    Sorry but when did I say I'd do that?

I wouldn't phone the Police for any petty crime. People taking drugs, or anything similar.

I have called the Police before, but only because of violence. If there is a threat of violence then I think it's reasonable to call to prevent that, not to report every petty thing.
    1. Insurance company rules, remember.
    2. Actual vandalism of one's garden and garden wall, or the neighbours' garden etc, by intruders sure qualifies.
    If there's actual vandalism then yes sure, people can report that. If they want to, but that's not what we were talking about.

This isn't a driving issue, I would not support an app that could be used to report every petty thing to the police. Even if it excluded driving things, and was only other petty things, I'd still deplore that.

Such petty curtain twitching and Police State behaviour is not to be welcomed in a free society.
    I've only once done anything like this. I reported someone for discussing postal vote results on an online forum (not here!) before the count (after I had said on the online forum that they were breaking the law and should remove their comments and they kept on going).

O wise council of PB, did I make the right choice?
    Shitty stuff is better out earlier than later. Above all before someone is actually elected on possibly dodgy grounds.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,632
    AlistairM said:

AlistairM said:

Could be a critical moment for the Ukraine offensive. Get past this and there may well not be much stopping Ukraine reaching the Sea of Azov.

Staromlynivka ‼️

It seems that the battle for Staromlynivka has started. This is a very key point for the Russians and the Ukrainians. Please refer to previous tweets for more context.
    The Russians have understood it and they are calling on Shoigu to send reserves that he does not have... They cast the battle as decisive on the southern front.

It is possible that some Ukrainian units have completely bypassed Zavitne Bazhannya. ZB is very vulnerable because surrounded by the Mokri river north and east with the main road leading to Staromlynivka. Ukrainian artillery is reported already in the suburbs.

https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1692569512602693779?s=20

Couple of stories today that appear linked.

1. US intelligence thinks Ukraine will fail to reach Melitopol in this counteroffensive.
    https://kyivindependent.com/washington-post-us-intelligence-thinks-ukraine-will-fail-to-reach-counteroffensives-key-goal/

2. US confirms it will approve F-16 transfer when Ukrainian pilot training is complete.
    https://kyivindependent.com/white-house-t/

Would seem that the US has concluded that if they want Ukraine to push Russia further back they will actually have to make the transfer of F-16 jets happen.
    Should have happened many months ago. Quite how they expected Ukraine to conduct a NATO-style offensive without air support, I have no idea.
    I believe there's an appropriate Churchill quote for the situation.

It's frustrating. RTÉ had a report from an Irish documentary maker yesterday evening who has spent a number of months near the frontline in Ukraine since the invasion in February last year. He talked about one casualty stabilisation station where they'd had two deaths during a night and ten amputations.

Improvements in battlefield medicine do save a lot of lives, but they can't do much to prevent serious injuries. I expect that a lot of those who survive with amputation on the Ukrainian side are simply dying on the Russian side. I do feel that the war might have been shortened if there isn't been so much reluctance to supply critical weapons at every stage.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,756
    I hesitate to post this (confirmation bias plus my feeling that one should fight when things get hard, not run away) but if the Telegraph is now posting stuff like this, things are not good.

https://12ft.io/proxy?&q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/17/under-50-time-jump-ship-leave-britain
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784

AlistairM said:

Could be a critical moment for the Ukraine offensive. Get past this and there may well not be much stopping Ukraine reaching the Sea of Azov.

Staromlynivka ‼️

It seems that the battle for Staromlynivka has started. This is a very key point for the Russians and the Ukrainians. Please refer to previous tweets for more context.
    The Russians have understood it and they are calling on Shoigu to send reserves that he does not have... They cast the battle as decisive on the southern front.

It is possible that some Ukrainian units have completely bypassed Zavitne Bazhannya. ZB is very vulnerable because surrounded by the Mokri river north and east with the main road leading to Staromlynivka. Ukrainian artillery is reported already in the suburbs.

https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1692569512602693779?s=20

Couple of stories today that appear linked.

1. US intelligence thinks Ukraine will fail to reach Melitopol in this counteroffensive.
    https://kyivindependent.com/washington-post-us-intelligence-thinks-ukraine-will-fail-to-reach-counteroffensives-key-goal/

2. US confirms it will approve F-16 transfer when Ukrainian pilot training is complete.
    https://kyivindependent.com/white-house-t/

Would seem that the US has concluded that if they want Ukraine to push Russia further back they will actually have to make the transfer of F-16 jets happen.
    It's entirely possible - indeed probable - that Ukraine will fail to cut the Russian forces in half and reach the coast.

But that doesn't mean the stories are in any way connected. The F16 decision has been a long time coming, and would have happened whether Ukraine was being knocked back on all fronts towards Kiev, or was already besieging Melitopol.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    PJH said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Let's move driving licenses to our phones too. It's ridiculous that Brits need to carry a small plastic card. (And do you still need the piece of paper?)
    I'm the opposite to you.

I hate using my phone for everything and try and ignore it/switch it off when I can.

Still use wallet for everything I can.
    Indeed. I'd much rather carry a thin light plastic card than a large heavy phone, If I'm out, I don't usually want anyone to call me, and everything else can wait.
    Wait: people still use phones for "calls"?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,887
    Tres said:

TimS said:

You don't still need the bit of paper, they abolished that effing madness years ago. But agree that Driving Licences should be on Apple Wallet. Makes total sense.

So it will be mandatory to have an iPhone to drive? Good news for Apple.
    Driving licences should be able to be held on Apple Wallet (and any equivalent on other OSs). The technology exists now. Plus passports, including days spent in Schengen so I don’t have to queue up and get stamped. We have our health records on an app now, which is helpful. Birth certificate, marriage certificate, will, donor card, etc etc. All perfectly feasible right now.
    what if you don't want Apple/Samsung/Google to have access to your financial info?
    As it happens I’m working with a business at the moment that manages decentralised data in such a way that the various entities using or accessing it are restricted in what they can see, including the operating systems.

But to be honest I don’t worry what Apple or Meta or Amazon know about me. I worry more about criminals accessing my data, and that to me must be the priority in IT security.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I hesitate to post this (confirmation bias plus my feeling that one should fight when things get hard, not run away) but if the Telegraph is now posting stuff like this, things are not good.

https://12ft.io/proxy?&q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/17/under-50-time-jump-ship-leave-britain

Question is- who is the article really aimed at? Can't really be under 50s, the number of young Telegraph readers must be in count-on-fingers territory.

And if the aim is to make the blood of actual Telegraph readers boil- to what end? They supported and enacted the policies that got us here. Unless the aim is to point towards "Truss would have saved us", which is insane. (Sorry, true believers.)
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a left-field idea to solve the parking app problem: have the government create a single national parking app. They could make it illegal for anyone outside the system to issue fines.

It would turn anyone with the app into a parking warden, and you would get a percentage of the fines you generated.

Illegal parking would largely be eliminated overnight. Councils would save a fortune as they wouldn't need enforcement staff.

My goodness that sounds horrific, like the worst attitudes of Covid lockdowns, people set against each other.

The scary thing is it would take off too. People love to curtain twitch and have a go at others.
    I disagree, it'd be great for sorting out pavement parking, and who could complain except the drivers who make life a misery?

People ring up and complain already anyway, so this is just doing for that what the apps for reporting blocked drans etc do already.
    I would.

I object to an attitude where people should be reporting on each other for everything.

Without wanting to Godwin, getting people to report their families and neighbours is straight out of the Nazi playbook.

Phoning the police about middle aged males vandalising the pavement and putting mothers and families at risk = bad?

Doesn't compute.

I wouldn't phone the Police for any petty crime. People taking drugs, or anything similar.

I have called the Police before, but only because of violence. If there is a threat of violence then I think it's reasonable to call to prevent that, not to report every petty thing.
    2. Actual vandalism of one's garden and garden wall, or the neighbours' garden etc, by intruders sure qualifies.
    If there's actual vandalism then yes sure, people can report that. If they want to, but that's not what we were talking about.

This isn't a driving issue, I would not support an app that could be used to report every petty thing to the police. Even if it excluded driving things, and was only other petty things, I'd still deplore that.

Such petty curtain twitching and Police State behaviour is not to be welcomed in a free society.
    I've only once done anything like this. I reported someone for discussing postal vote results on an online forum (not here!) before the count (after I had said on the online forum that they were breaking the law and should remove their comments and they kept on going).

Was it Laura Kuenssberg?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/11/bbc-denies-political-editors-postal-vote-comments-broke-law
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,717

Foxy said:

Westminster Voting Intention (Corbyn as Labour Leader):

LAB: 36% (-10)
    CON: 35% (+7)
    LDM: 15% (+4)
    RFM: 6% (=)
    GRN: 5% (=)
    SNP: 3% (=)

Via @Moreincommon_, Aug 2023.
    Changes w/ Regular VI.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1692502327880556941?t=X8bfvMQ-SAuYGxTEqjxoMg&s=19

@Bigjohnowls fans please explain.

So the Tories would still lose...
    No, actually the polling effectively shows that the Conservatives would be 2% ahead now with Corbyn as leader. That's because the headline VI published by More in Common shows a Labour lead of only 15%. The headline VI figure incorporates the results of a forced choice question. The comparable base which the Corbyn polling is being measured against doesn't include a forced choice question and shows a Labour lead of 18%.

The headline More in Common VI with Sunak and Starmer as leaders is:
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    LD 11%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 6%
    SNP 3%

Apply the net change found if Corbyn were to replace Starmer and you would get
    Lab 34% (-10)
    Con 36% (+7)
    LD 15% (+4)
    Ref 6%
    Grn 6%
    SNP 3%

Incidentally, More in Common also asked about the impact if Johnson not Sunak were Conservative leader and found that the Labour lead under Starmer would fall by 6%. The gloss really has worn off Sunak.

The link to the More in Common August 2023 research and the data tables with the Corbyn and Johnson figures is here:
    https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/research/voting-intention-august-2023/
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,957

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I would.

Doesn't compute.

Was it a tory?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,717
    This thread has suffered the same fate as Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281

rcs1000 said:

Question for PB: should people like Letby not be afforded anonymity for life?

And indeed, why are the names of criminals publicly available, what good does it serve?

Just must be seen to be delivered, and to be fair.

Imagine if people could be prosecuted and imprisoned, with no public record or information as to who was imprisoned and why?
    And in the cases where the person wasn't even found guilty, they were still named and shamed. Do you support that? And what about cases where it's been overturned, their life is still ruined and people know who they are.

I would be perfectly content not knowing the identity of this woman.
    There is a much better case for keeping defendants names anonymous until conviction.

It is particularly egregious for some people accused - and then acquitted of sexual crimes - and where the victim gets anonymity but the accused does not. If you are found not guilty, it seems harsh that your name was dragged through the mud.

The LibDems proposed this in their 2010 manifesto, and the coalition *almost* did it, but there was a massive outcry and it got shelved.
    Part of the benefit of not having anonymity is that when someone is brave enough to confront an abuser, or get the evidence etc, then that can encourage other victims to step forward.

This has happened for many cases. See Weinstein as a prime example, he was getting away with his abuse for decades, then it came out and once some brave women stepped forward others felt empowered to do the same.

Same happened with Rolf Harris too.

Sometimes it goes too far and people pile in on innocent people, but that's why we have a public judicial system too, so that if people are innocent they can be seen to be acquitted. But if they are guilty, then them being seen to be convicted serves justice and can allow other victims satisfaction or the ability to come forward too.

There's no easy answers here, but public justice has worked better than secret justice ever has, which is inevitably abused.
    People can come forward if a conviction, even if an accused is not named until the end of the trial
  • Options
    On the reporting a petty crime conversation, just had a real life example.

Just took my children to the nearby kids park with swings and a slide. While they were playing there a gang of about 12 teenagers (I'd estimate about 14-15 years old) and arrived and sat at the park next to the kids playground.

The teens were not remotely discrete and sat in a circle with a big, bright fluorescent green bong and before long a fairly obvious smell started drifting over.

Now a crime is definitely being committed there, should that be some I report to the Police? In my eyes absolutely not, to do so would be creepy and not just because kids are involved.

Curtain twitching on every petty thing is an ugly trait, encouraged in dictatorships not free societies.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,200

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

A friend interviewed at a startup doing something horribly like this about 5 years ago. They'd started out with the intention of doing something like FixMyStreet, but had pivoted to a more general 'gamified snitching' app which sounded horribly Stasi-esque.

I don't think they ever cracked the "who's going to pay for it?" question, but taking commission from parking fines is a genius idea, so I'm very glad they never thought of it...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,632

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

A new improved political compass, in the binary letter-combo style of Myers Briggs. Covering the 6 principal faultlines in British politics and ideology (or at least on PB):

Like Myers-Briggs, a forced preference - you have to fall on one side or other rather than claiming to be in the centre or that it depends.

1. Economics, which instead of left vs right I would define as socialised vs market. The extremes on each side being freewheeling market fundamentalism and communism, but in Britain more a case of believing in more or less state intervention in the economy:

S = socialised
    M = market

2. Social and identity politics: traditionalist/authoritarian vs liberal. Are you woke or anti-woke? Should we topple statues of slavers? Do we need a lavatory tsar and so on.

W = woke
    A = anti-woke

3. Green politics: are you an eco-warrior who wants us all on our bikes, stopping drilling in the North Sea and installing heat pumps, or are you a petrolhead who upholds everyone's right to keep 3 gas guzzlers in the cul-de-sac, thinks LTNs are the spawn of the devil, and wonders if the climate crisis stuff isn't just a tad overwrought.

E = eco-warrior
    P = petrolhead

4. Nimby vs Yimby. Should we concrete over the green belt and build build build because the country needs infrastructure, or protect what remains of our green and pleasant land?

N = nimby
    Y = yimby

5. Russia and Ukraine: are you a hawk or a dove? Do you despair of keyboard toy soldiers bloodthirstily escalating until the last Ukrainian / global thermonuclear war, and understand Russia's historical concerns on NATO expansion and the rights of Russian speakers in Donbas? Or do you see Putin as a fascist thug who must be defeated to avoid greater problems down the line?

D = dove
    H = hawk

6. Brexit or remain. In or out?

B = Brexit
    R = remain [rejoin]

As of today I am MWEYHR, although a couple of those are marginal (S/M and N/Y).

I don't accept the first choice, as it's a false dichotomy.
    The answer (obviously) lies somewhere between the two, but what's important isn't where, by how well the economy is arranged irrespective of the precise mix between state and market.

The biggest problem with the political management of the UK economy is that we've been unnecessarily obsessed with S vs M, and utterly ignored the consequences of the damage we've done as we've shifted back and forth between the two.

That's one of my core political beliefs.
    "That's one of my core political beliefs" = S&M
    No, that neither is a particularly important measure.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,177

On the reporting a petty crime conversation, just had a real life example.

Just took my children to the nearby kids park with swings and a slide. While they were playing there a gang of about 12 teenagers (I'd estimate about 14-15 years old) and arrived and sat at the park next to the kids playground.

The teens were not remotely discrete and sat in a circle with a big, bright fluorescent green bong and before long a fairly obvious smell started drifting over.

Now a crime is definitely being committed there, should that be some I report to the Police? In my eyes absolutely not, to do so would be creepy and not just because kids are involved.

Curtain twitching on every petty thing is an ugly trait, encouraged in dictatorships not free societies.

I wouldn’t report it to the police but ‘creepy’. Why ?
This discussion has been closed.