Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is open

13»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    fitalass said:

A very distinct whiff of hypocrisy there Mr Carnyx, just remind us of the ever frequently threatened SNP policy that would banish Trident from Faslane if Scotland was to become Independent! Yet again, its that old and very politically selective SNP 'pick and mix' bag on display. On a personal note, definitely seeing clear signs of the female/male divide on Scottish Independence as noted in recent polls. And that is certainly being backed up here on PB as well if anyone is paying close attention.

Carnyx said:

SNIP

I suspect that even though he might want to say yes to all 3, there will be such an anti-Scottish fervour south of the Border post a Yes vote that he will be forced to say no to all 3.
    I don't think that at all. I think Scots are generally well liked in England and should they vote for independence some of us will be a bit sad about it but will wish them and their new nation state well.
    I hope you are correct but I fear that to "put backbone" into the English negotiators, people like Boris and Nigel Farage will turn up the "Scots are scroungers" rhetoric. Neither gentleman is particularly well liked in Scotland. We will also I suspect see the vengeance of the Labour Party which will be the biggest loser on both sides of the new international border.
    If the Scots were indeed scroungers, then they ought to be pleased to see us go - and lubricate the way with interim arrangements, doubtless intended to impose severe fiscal restrictions (of precisely the kind Mr Swinney is already more than used to: remember the SNP are the one major party in Scotland who practice proper fiscal rectitude and do not indulge in PFI/PPP).

But yes, logic is not all ... I'm inclined to share your fears, and to feel that in that situation the Labour Party, or perhaps rather its soon to be Scottish ex-MPs, may feel they have nothing to lose by trying to wreck things. You may recall that Mr Ian Davidson MP has already demanded very publicly that the MoD pull all shipbuilding orders from Glasgow if there is a Yes vote. A remarkable policy to put it mildly, making one's own constituents hostages to one's continuing salary and perquisites at the House of Commons. And that was quite some time ago!
    Very clear signs of panic from Westminster more like.
  • Options
    Mr. G, I'm not doubting that's your honest opinion, but you must see how (if it goes down that way) the relationship between Scotland and the rest of the UK would be rather more bitter than Salmond's 'best pals in the world' nonsense?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

The quality of councillors is getting better because there are now far fewer LibDems than there were.

Discuss. Use both sides of the paper.

TBH, that's a more plausible explanation than "power trips"
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @antifrank

But regardless of your opinion of the job they did in the past (and I note the lack of specifics on how / where their egos led them to squander money on inferior services) the fact remains that these are people who were prepared to give up their time and take abuse in order to do their best for their local communities.It was always open to their critics to step up to the plate and do it better but that presumably involved far more effort than they were prepared to put in.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Neil said:

@antifrank

But regardless of your opinion of the job they did in the past (and I note the lack of specifics on how / where their egos led them to squander money on inferior services) the fact remains that these are people who were prepared to give up their time and take abuse in order to do their best for their local communities.It was always open to their critics to step up to the plate and do it better but that presumably involved far more effort than they were prepared to put in.

@Neil
    Our lot receive over £20k pa (called expenses) and more if they are a member of the cabinet? (Is this taxable??) Not bad for a part time job. more than many people in this area earn for a full time job.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Financier said:

Neil said:

@antifrank

So your proof that councillors are in it for an ego trip is how wonderfully they appear to be coping with crippling cuts in the level of funding provided for the services they are legally obliged to operate?

I think the vast majority of councillors are insane for giving up so much time and putting in so much effort for very little reward and often a good deal of abuse.

@Neil

I am amazed that, according to my county councillor, the council had no difficulty in finding £6m of savings and only found the extra £1m a little difficult.

So why had they been overspending for the previous years?
    Every council I've known has spent millions on vanity projects, from public artworks (in some cases whilst selling off other artworks) to vainglorious public works, always sold to the public using words like 'inspire' and 'celebrate', and never 'fit for purpose'.

For instance, The Public in West Bromwich:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Public,_West_Bromwich

or the Corby Cube:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corby_Cube
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Mr. G, I'm not doubting that's your honest opinion, but you must see how (if it goes down that way) the relationship between Scotland and the rest of the UK would be rather more bitter than Salmond's 'best pals in the world' nonsense?

Morris , They are the ones doing the threatening now , their pathetic attempt last week failed and so they resort to bully boy tactics. As ever with these fools it will end in tears.
This discussion has been closed.