Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is open

Comments

• Options

FPT:

Anyone thinking that the through-life costs of Dave-B are excessive had better look closer to defence contracts:

• Cronie Blair spent £2-billion on 'buying-in' and giving away BAe-Systems' technology for the JSF/JCA,
    • Look at Gormless McBruin's Voyager PFI via the Bank-of-Scotland (and do the maths), and
    • The Right Dishonourable Total Hoon had some strange dealings with Berlusconi's Finmeccanica; Who employs him now...?
    Dave-B - Lightening-II is an Americanism (please note Al-Beeb) - is the only show in town. Thanks Labour (especially "Lord" West)....
    From what I've read, the Voyager's a good plane, but the PFI scheme is madness. Even the NAO thinks it is ruinous value for money.

Hoon is the Labour minister I would most like to see hanging from a tree. He was hideously incompetent. In fact, when was the last time we had a good defence minister of any political persuasion?
    presumably you wouldn't actually wish him dead so why post it?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Everything that has ever happened, ever, is great news for the SNP and advances their cause.

No news can ever strengthen support for the Union.

That is why the poll gap has narrowed so dramatically in the last year...

@JohnRentoul: Improved graph of Scottish independence polls 2013-14, with trend line. Yes % excl don't knows. Thanks @RF_McCarthy http://t.co/TuCojBEgSG

It's almost like a hockey stick
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    The 2 things Eck must be praying for are 1) soon after Easter the BBC starts referring to a football match in 1966 on a daily basis and finding a relationship between members of the 1966 squad and the likely squad members off to Brazil and 2) the fabled "crossover" to take place around the time of the Euro elections or soon after.

The former drives all Scots crazy (including ultra-unionists) and the latter will get the wild forces of the Tartan left to drive their cohorts into the YES camp.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

My dear Mick, it will be the likes of the Scottish Tory surgers as you describe us and the Tartan Tories in the SNP who will have to take on the task of negotiating a sensible settlement with rUK

That tartan tories nonsense certainly worked well for Labour in 2011, didn't it?
    Result -SNP landslide.

As for the amusing idea of Cammie's 'mighty' negotiating prowess, you'll be sure to mention that the next time he loses something as crucial to his electoral fortunes as Boundary Changes to the hopeless Clegg. Or when he has another pointless Veto flounce. Or when his backbenchers inevitably humiliate him again because they don't trust his Cast Iron Pledges whatsoever.

Suggestion from Coalition that under indy assets such as pound will be withheld, and not shared means that there is no legal requirement, yes LEGAL, for a new nation state to pay any debt to the successor state. I think this action is a sign of genuine panic.

Ladbrokes were offering 50/1 against that what is being suggested by Cameron and Osborne will happen. Easy money if you belive what Cameron and Osborne say is true???

I think a timeline of 2 weeks to resolve this is necessary. Not just rUK are not keen, uncertain, on currency union; a clear answer needed, so that Scots peg a new Scots pound to sterling and no debt will be paid, not one penny as per that arrnagement.

You share assets worldwide amicably or you do without the debt, make a decision and stick by it.

Throw in a guaranteed pension from oil revenues at UK levels plus 5-10% for first 3 years guaranteed and that will take Cameron's sails away.

Trying to get an EU directive that Scotland wuld not be allowed in EU has been harder to arrange for Cameron but I am sure the team are pushing as many buttons as possible to get Brussels to imply it would be hard.
  • Options

The former drives all Scots crazy (including ultra-unionists)

You don't have to be a separatist to cheer English opponents in Football or Rugby
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Ladbrokes were offering 50/1 against that what is being suggested by Cameron and Osborne will happen.

No, they weren't.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Meanwhile GOP Circus #2 is taking shape.
    Evan Sutter ‏@EvanSutter1 15m

With 27 other #GOP members, John Bohner caves on the debt limit. The Vote was 221-201 in favor of raising it. #tcot

Capitalism Institute ‏@Cap_Institute 2m

John Boehner caves... gives Obama 100% of what he wants on national debt limit being upped... replace him: http://www.capitalisminstitute.org/john-boehner-caves/ … #tcot

Chicago Tribune ‏@chicagotribune 1m

House approves debt-limit legislation with no strings attached http://bit.ly/NzYVNP

Lisa ‏@thecitizeNY 1m

5 Reasons The GOP Caved On The Debt Limit | The National Memo - http://www.nationalmemo.com/5-reasons-gop-caved-debt-limit/
    I suspect the more excitable tea party types will not be best pleased.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

And at sea, if I may add - Coronel/Falklands for a start, even if Jutland is deemed to be in Western Europe and the U-boats operated closer to home than in WW2 (can't remember figures for worldwide raiders such as the Emden).

Don't know if the Russian intervention counts, though I seem to recall most/all was in European Russia anyway.

Not all. Their were British troops from Dunsterforce fighting against the Turks alongside Armenians and Russians both in Northern Persia and at the siege of Baku. There were also British and Indian troops fighting on the South Central Asian Railway as part of the Malleson mission between Ashkabad and Tashkent. We even had a British fleet (of captured Russian ships) on the Caspian Sea.
  • Options
    A far more accurate summation of all the polling than some idiot Blairite spinner like Rentoul who covered himself in 'glory' over Iraq.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/brucepolls.jpg

http://wingsoverscotland.com/points-of-convergence/
  • Options

Scots peg a new Scots pound to sterling and no debt will be paid

Hello International Money Markets, John Swinney here, can we borrow some cash?

How is your credit history?

We crashed the largest bank in the World and walked away from the rubble.

Hello... Are you still there?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060

FPT:

Anyone thinking that the through-life costs of Dave-B are excessive had better look closer to defence contracts:

• Cronie Blair spent £2-billion on 'buying-in' and giving away BAe-Systems' technology for the JSF/JCA,
    • Look at Gormless McBruin's Voyager PFI via the Bank-of-Scotland (and do the maths), and
    • The Right Dishonourable Total Hoon had some strange dealings with Berlusconi's Finmeccanica; Who employs him now...?
    Dave-B - Lightening-II is an Americanism (please note Al-Beeb) - is the only show in town. Thanks Labour (especially "Lord" West)....
    From what I've read, the Voyager's a good plane, but the PFI scheme is madness. Even the NAO thinks it is ruinous value for money.

Hoon is the Labour minister I would most like to see hanging from a tree. He was hideously incompetent. In fact, when was the last time we had a good defence minister of any political persuasion?
    Hoon was mentioned in the post I was replying to. And whilst I obviously would not want any harm come to him, you just have to look at his record as a politician to see how utterly and hideously incompetent he was. And at the expenses and lobbying scandals to see that he was a self-serving piece of ****.

Before you defend him: he was at defence when we sent our people into Afghanistan and Iraq, and for the first couple of years of those conflicts. I.e. the times when the equipment and other mistakes happened.

It's important to remind people of the sort of people Labour managed to make ministers, when they complain about Conservative and Lib Dem ones. ;-)
  • Options
    Nice to see the Wings Over Somerset web servers are still above water
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hugh said:

The 2 things Eck must be praying for are 1) soon after Easter the BBC starts referring to a football match in 1966 on a daily basis and finding a relationship between members of the 1966 squad and the likely squad members off to Brazil and 2) the fabled "crossover" to take place around the time of the Euro elections or soon after.

The former drives all Scots crazy (including ultra-unionists) and the latter will get the wild forces of the Tartan left to drive their cohorts into the YES camp.

Please God make it stop.

They can't help themselves.

Just enjoy the always amusing spectacle. The impotent fury of scottish tory surgers is never less than hilarious.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    According to twitter reports, George Osborne, backed up by LibDems and Labour will rule out any post independence monetary union between rUK and Scotland. So it looks as though we will be reverting to the Groat or maybe we could have the Eck.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Very good documentary just shown on BBC2 Scotland outlining the issues around the Independence referendum, giving an overview and explaining in what appeared to me to be an admirably neutral way what it was all about and what the arguments are from each side.

There was also one on News 24 called "5 million ways to be Scottish" including the claim that Morris Dancing is a Scottish invention
    That's OK, we can hit back with the claim that Haggis is English.

Jesus.

Do those in favour keeping the UK as it is even realise that every time they "debate" the issue mentioning Haggis, Braveheart, Deep Fried Mars Bars, you know the stuff, they are moving Scottish Independence incrementally closer?

It's not just here, though God knows it's bad enough here. But you see it in the national media too.

Sometimes I succumb to the view that the English don't deserve to keep Scotland in the Union given the disdain with which they treat them. Of course I am in favour of a positive vision for an Independent Scotland so I am biased but the comments by Unionists do sometimes make me wince.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The former drives all Scots crazy (including ultra-unionists)

You don't have to be a separatist to cheer English opponents in Football or Rugby
    I agree. As long as we "pretend" we are different countries for sports, I see no reason why you should be expected to support a home country other than your own when they are playing another team. Both teams are, in fact, equally foreign in footballing or rugby terms.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    edited February 2014
    Major story in the Times, has betting implications for those wanting to back Mitchell as our next man in Bruxelles

The Police Federation hijacked the Plebgate affair for its own political ends and betrayed the officers who were on duty at the Downing Street gates, a key witness to the incident told The Times.

Ian Richardson, one of the four officers on duty as the former Chief Whip Andrew Mitchell demanded to cycle through the gates, spoke for the first time about the confrontation which has shaken public confidence in policing.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4003083.ece
  • Options

Carnyx said:

And at sea, if I may add - Coronel/Falklands for a start, even if Jutland is deemed to be in Western Europe and the U-boats operated closer to home than in WW2 (can't remember figures for worldwide raiders such as the Emden).

Don't know if the Russian intervention counts, though I seem to recall most/all was in European Russia anyway.

Not all. Their were British troops from Dunsterforce fighting against the Turks alongside Armenians and Russians both in Northern Persia and at the siege of Baku. There were also British and Indian troops fighting on the South Central Asian Railway as part of the Malleson mission between Ashkabad and Tashkent. We even had a British fleet (of captured Russian ships) on the Caspian Sea.
    Didn't the British attack units of the Red Navy in Kronstad in the Baltic in 1919? As i recall Augustus Agar won the VC as did some other naval personnel
  • Options
    From item 4:

Balls is the party's first shadow chancellor or chancellor since 1987 – apart from Alan Johnson who held the shadow role for three months – not to be a Scottish MP.

Puts the whingeing about Scots being ruled by the English in context, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Mr Richardson does think Mitchell did say F****** plebs
  • Options

a key witness to the incident

He was one of the officers on duty, but the article explicitly does not say he heard the conversation
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Didn't the British attack units of the Red Navy in Kronstad in the Baltic in 1919? As i recall Augustus Agar won the VC as did some other naval personnel
    I believe so. It is not quite my area of study as I have been writing a book on the British Interventions in Southern Russia so the rest of the Interventionist theatre is rather sketchy for me. But it is well worth digging out books about Dunsterforce as the mission included some of the most incredible acts of bravery (mostly by volunteer veterans from the Western Front) of the whole war. This included a handful of Australian NCOs fighting off regiments of Turkish soldiers to protect the evacuation of the remnants of the ancient Christian Assyrian population from around Lake Van.
  • Options
    Since Nicola proclaimed that politicising sport is "Shameful", are we going to hear Eck chuntering about Scolympians again if the Scottish TeamGB curlers bring home some medals?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited February 2014

I have always maintained, and stated on PB at the time of the incident first being reported, that Mitchell was most unlikely to have used the term "pleb". The reason being that it's use and meaning in 'public school' parlance did not fit the circumstances or the people involved.

What I think is far more likely is that 'Thrasher' Mitchell used a phrase such "You will be hearing more about this later" and this threat sent the No 10 protection squad searching for telephone directories.

Unfortunately, they did not use the directories for the purpose for which, in context, tradition demanded.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ted Jeory ‏@TedJeory 39m

Cracking Times splash by @TimesCrime tomorrow. Downing St #plebgate officer says Andrew Mitchell 'did' say f***ing plebs.

Political Scrapbook ‏@PSbook 27m

Times front page. #Plebgate police still insisting Mitchell called them "fucking plebs" (£) http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4003088.ece … pic.twitter.com/qhbRmLf2cL
    Time for the obsequious Cameroonian CCHQ drones to go into overdrive.

:)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    AntiFrank The EU vote will, I think, be very tight!
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Ted Jeory ‏@TedJeory 39m

Cracking Times splash by @TimesCrime tomorrow. Downing St #plebgate officer says Andrew Mitchell 'did' say f***ing plebs.

Times front page. #Plebgate police still insisting Mitchell called them "fucking plebs" (£) http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4003088.ece … pic.twitter.com/qhbRmLf2cL

Crackling wit, Pork.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    AveryLP said:

I have always maintained, and stated on PB at the time of the incident first being reported, that Mitchell was most unlikely to have used the term "pleb". The reason being that it's use and meaning in 'public school' parlance did not fit the circumstances or the people involved.

What I think is far more likely is that 'Thrasher' Mitchell used a phrase such "You will be hearing more about this later" and this threat sent the No 10 protection squad searching for telephone directories.

Unfortunately, they did not use the directories for the purpose for which, in context, tradition demanded.
    I've always said he should have quit/sacked for swearing at the rozzers.

If he really wanted to be insulting, he should have called them Carthaginians.

Although, he should have said

Ceterum autem censeo Rozzers esse delendam or shortened to Rozzers delenda est
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Don't think anyone's noticed, but TSE tried to tease us with headline 20. Different Blair, sadly.
    Hugh said:

How do you know that passionate canvasser didn't turn a floating voter into a lifelong Labour supporter :-)

Let's hope so...
    antifrank said:

I'd welcome you reconsidering your misrepresentation of my views.

Your wish is my command, old boy. You do not, as I first supposed, have an ill-based prejudice that all politicians are motivated by greed, though you believe that they all seize money when they can. Instead, you have an ill-based prejudice that all politicians are in it for ego and power. This is burnished by your previously-expressed nihilist view that nobody sensible would want to join a political party.

Now. You are a lawyer with no known link to politics, partly resident in Hungary, yes? How many councillors (it was councillors we were talking about) do you know? How many of them are powerful in any meaningful sense? What proportion of them have ego-boosting experiences, more than, say, the average lawyer? What evidence can you offer that your offensive views are any more soundly based than, say, the average BNP supporter expounding crackpot generalisations about Tanzanians?

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    edited February 2014
    Hugh said:

Oh christ, what about the England and Wales Cricket team!

At the moment, I think it is reasonable to support anyone playing England (and Wales).

• Options
    edited February 2014

Don't think anyone's noticed, but TSE tried to tease us with headline 20. Different Blair, sadly.

Yay someone spotted it

• Options

AveryLP said:

I've always said he should have quit/sacked for swearing at the rozzers.

If he really wanted to be insulting, he should have called them Carthaginians.

Although, he should have said

Ceterum autem censeo Rozzers esse delendam or shortened to Rozzers delenda est
    TSE

You end the day as I began it.

I shall sleep in peace tonight!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    AveryLP said:

Mick_Pork said:

Ted Jeory ‏@TedJeory 39m

Crackling wit, Pork.

You said it Seth O Logue, you said it.

ROFL

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Very good documentary just shown on BBC2 Scotland outlining the issues around the Independence referendum, giving an overview and explaining in what appeared to me to be an admirably neutral way what it was all about and what the arguments are from each side.

There was also one on News 24 called "5 million ways to be Scottish" including the claim that Morris Dancing is a Scottish invention
    That's OK, we can hit back with the claim that Haggis is English.

Jesus.

Do those in favour keeping the UK as it is even realise that every time they "debate" the issue mentioning Haggis, Braveheart, Deep Fried Mars Bars, you know the stuff, they are moving Scottish Independence incrementally closer?

It's not just here, though God knows it's bad enough here. But you see it in the national media too.

Sometimes I succumb to the view that the English don't deserve to keep Scotland in the Union given the disdain with which they treat them. Of course I am in favour of a positive vision for an Independent Scotland so I am biased but the comments by Unionists do sometimes make me wince.
    Well said Richard.
  • Options

FPT:

Hoon was mentioned in the post I was replying to. And whilst I obviously would not want any harm come to him, you just have to look at his record as a politician to see how utterly and hideously incompetent he was. And at the expenses and lobbying scandals to see that he was a self-serving piece of ****.

Before you defend him: he was at defence when we sent our people into Afghanistan and Iraq, and for the first couple of years of those conflicts. I.e. the times when the equipment and other mistakes happened.

It's important to remind people of the sort of people Labour managed to make ministers, when they complain about Conservative and Lib Dem ones. ;-)
    I'm not defending him - I am not a fan of his.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Huzzah for the PB Romneys!
    Tea Party Patriots ‏@TPPatriots 24m

.@speakerboehner is caving on the #debtceiling. Call him at (855) 247-8706 and tell him it's time to resign! #tcot pic.twitter.com/zTYybljdDe

Capitalism Institute ‏@Cap_Institute 44m

John Boehner caves... gives Obama 100% of what he wants on national debt limit being upped... replace him: http://www.capitalisminstitute.org/john-boehner-caves/ … #tcot

Daniel Strauss ‏@DanielStrauss4

Senate Conservatives Fund wants Boehner replaced NOW http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/senate-conservatives-fund-replace-boehner
    *chortle*
  • Options
    Plebgate must be the most boring political story ever. It was mildly interesting for the first few days, but is now a surefire cure for insomnia. On that note...zzzzzzzzz
  • Options

Plebgate must be the most boring political story ever. It was mildly interesting for the first few days, but is now a surefire cure for insomnia. On that note...zzzzzzzzz

Because Paddy Power had Mitchell listed as a cabinet minister, it was not so boring.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (Two threads ago)

There’s no way that UKIP should be betting favourite to win most votes at EURO2014 based on current polling

Just what I've said all along.

It’s even possible that they’ll struggle to retain 2nd place

Just what I've said all along.

UKIP’s second place in the 2009 Euros came after the intensive media coverage driven by several weeks of Telegraph’s extensive and almost daily revelations about MPs expenses. We can’t assume that the same will happen again particularly as are seeing UKIP under much greater media scrutiny.

In 2009 it wasn't UKIP that came 2nd; it was Labour which came 3rd. UKIP only got 16.5% (which would normally only be good enough for 3rd place) and it was Labour which dropped to 15.8% because of the expenses scandal.

------

After getting 16% in 2004 and 17% in 2009, I've always expected UKIP to get 18% in 2014. With its recent surge and boost in the County Council elections, that might go up to perhaps 22% instead of 18%, but that would normally still only be good enough for 3rd place.

If UKIP gets 30% and comes first, or 25% and comes second, come back to me and say hahaha on 26th May, but I won't be holding my breath.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983

Jeremy Vine (@theJeremyVine)
    11/02/2014 23:38
    A park in Afghanistan in the 1970s. And below, the same park in the 2000s. pic.twitter.com/4aFLuLuQoi (via @HistoryInPix)

Download the official Twitter app here
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @JohnLoony

UKIP got a projected national voteshare of 22% or 23% in the locals last year. There's every reason to think they could better that in Euro election year which is normally when they peak in every cycle. I wouldnt be that surprised to see them get 25%.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Neil said:

@JohnLoony

UKIP got a projected national voteshare of 22% or 23% in the locals last year. There's every reason to think they could better that in Euro election year which is normally when they peak in every cycle. I wouldnt be that surprised to see them get 25%.

Neil

I side with Mr. Loony on this one.

Kippers are well past their peak.

• Options
    @AveryLP

I just need a market on it now that you have confirmed me in my view! ;)
  • Options
    Late night PB quiz.

What was the (interesting) subject of Monica Lewinsky's thesis prepared for her mid noughties post graduate degree at the LSE?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    From link 10:
    "Steve Fisher from Oxford University has looked at the figures, and found that in places that had local elections in 2012 and 2013 on the same boundaries – combining district wards to make county divisions – UKIP progressed equally at the expense of both Conservatives and Labour."
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    isam said:

Jeremy Vine (@theJeremyVine)
    11/02/2014 23:38
    A park in Afghanistan in the 1970s. And below, the same park in the 2000s. pic.twitter.com/4aFLuLuQoi (via @HistoryInPix)

Download the official Twitter app here

My mum visited Afghanistan in 1968 on a university trip and apparently most of the women weren't wearing headscarves at that time.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Here we go again -

We had snow today, but it's mostly melted. Unfortunately overnight it will freeze.

Tomorrow at about 3am we expect the arrival of 30 hours of ice storms. This will bring down trees and power lines all over the place.

Following the ice storms we are expecting more snow, possibly 6-10 inches! I think that's somewhat exagerated, but it looks grim until Friday. Temperatures will not reach freezing until late Thursday.

We hardly ever get weather like this, but this is twice in 2 weeks!
  • Options
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Neil said:

@JohnLoony

Neil

Avery L'Ingénu Pangloss
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Welcome back from your brief sojourn Avery.
  • Options
    Just think of all the extra hydro-electric power that could have been generated by the floods.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited February 2014
    Boring old betting

Bookies now make Labour favs for the Euros

Ladbrokes have gone 5/6 over/under 35% Wythenshawe turnout

They also make UKIP EVS to get between 20-30% of the vote, 6/4 to get 10-20%' 8/1 30-40

Paddy Power have markets on Labour vote share

Less than 30% is 25/1
    30-39.99 is 9/1
    40-49.99 is 11/4
    50-59.99 is 2/1
    60-69.99 is 5/2
    70+ is 5/1

I'd like the 40-59.9 combined at 4/6

• Options
    edited February 2014

AveryLP said:

Neil said:

@JohnLoony

Neil

Avery L'Ingénu Pangloss
    Signor di Canio

I have assumed you are answering my late night quiz question?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Welcome back from your brief sojourn Avery.

Thank you, Rob.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    AveryLP said:

Late night PB quiz.

What was the (interesting) subject of Monica Lewinsky's thesis prepared for her mid noughties post graduate degree at the LSE?

"In Search of the Impartial Juror: An exploration of the third person effect and pre-trial publicity."
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

AveryLP said:

Late night PB quiz.

"In Search of the Impartial Juror: An exploration of the third person effect and pre-trial publicity."
    Full marks.

You are granted 40 days of (pre Vatican Council II) plenary indulgences.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I've always thought the media consensus that Andrew Mitchell had been "exonerated" was truly bizarre. Even if he didn't call the policemen "plebs", he still openly admitted swearing at them, which would be an arrestable offense for the average joe and should've been a resignation matter in itself.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Danny565 said:

I've always thought the media consensus that Andrew Mitchell had been "exonerated" was truly bizarre. Even if he didn't call the policemen "plebs", he still openly admitted swearing at them, which would be an arrestable offense for the average joe and should've been a resignation matter in itself.

I understand Mr. Mitchell has admitted to "swearing" not "swearing at" the policemen.

The first may well be a resignation matter.

The second is an wholly understandable reaction to the circumstances in which he found himself.

Even Ninoinoz might forgivably seek such personal solace if denied access by St. Peter through the Pearly Gates.

• Options
    I don't have access behind the paywall, but I don't think the story is likely to be of considerable consequence. This matter is going to be resolved by the High Court, and it doesn't look as if tonight's developments are especially material to the litigation. I think it highly unlikely that Mitchell will be appointed to any position until the proceedings have been heard and determined.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Here we go again -

We had snow today, but it's mostly melted. Unfortunately overnight it will freeze.

Tomorrow at about 3am we expect the arrival of 30 hours of ice storms. This will bring down trees and power lines all over the place.

Following the ice storms we are expecting more snow, possibly 6-10 inches! I think that's somewhat exagerated, but it looks grim until Friday. Temperatures will not reach freezing until late Thursday.

Tim

If you promise to supply a press photographer we would be happy to send Ed Miliband to comfort you.

You can keep him for as long as you like.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Tim_B said:

Here we go again -

Tim

If you promise to supply a press photographer we would be happy to send Ed Miliband to comfort you.

I think the President could use him more than I - yesterday's delay was the 27th delay in the implementation of Obamacare.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

AveryLP said:

Tim_B said:

Here we go again -

Tim

I think the President could use him more than I - yesterday's delay was the 27th delay in the implementation of Obamacare.
    Isn't Obama busy entertaining M. le Président Hollande?

I have visions of Michelle giving Elizabeth Hurley a quick call and the use of a discrete Presidential jet.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited February 2014
    Danny565 said:

I've always thought Gordon Brown ought to have been arrested once it emerged that he'd called that woman a "bigot". Obviously he should have resigned as PM.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited February 2014
    Danny565 said:

Swearing at the police is, in and of itself, not an offence (Harvey v Director of Public Prosecutions [2011] EWHC B1 (Admin), per Bean J). All offences are "arrestable" since new section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 was inserted by the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005. Blair was such a fan of liberty.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Tim_B said:

AveryLP said:

Tim_B said:

Here we go again -

Tim

Isn't Obama busy entertaining M. le Président Hollande?

I have visions of Michelle giving Elizabeth Hurley a quick call and the use of a discrete Presidential jet.

I'm sure Divine Brown's phone is ringing off the hook..
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    AndyJS said:

Interesting fact: around 2 million voters from 2010 will have died by the time of the 2015 election. That's about 7% of total voters.

How many new voters will there be due to people turning 18? Also are there any stats on how many ppl with live in a different constituency?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited February 2014
    FTP. antifrank "I see that both David Cameron and Ed Miliband have cancelled foreign trips next week because of the floods. I hope that they're going to be manning buckets rather than harassing beleaguered householders and emergency workers, who already have quite enough to deal with without having to fend off rubbernecking politicians."

Not surprised that Cameron as PM has now cancelled his foreign trip, but why did Ed Miliband put off his trip to India as LotO next week? What has surprised me, is the fact that it took so long for Ed Miliband to finally make a public appearance in a flood area considering he was always going to have to lead on the handling of the floods at PMQ's tomorrow. When I saw his last minute appearance today, the cynic in me wondered if his spinners had only just realised that he better get down to see a flood area, and fast, before he appeared at the despatch box tomorrow. That he waited far too long, and was immediately branded a flood tourist today was another misjudgement.

Ed Miliband should been down to the flooded areas to inspect the situation and offer his support and condolences to those effected before now, its been leading the news for days now. Instead, even over the weekend he and his spinners were too busy briefing the media over another speech which unsurprisingly got totally ignored as a result of the fact it wasn't about floods or their management. He was lucky that he wasn't David Cameron as LotO, if he had ignored the floods for so long it might have brought about a media maelstrom of criticism.

And isn't also somewhat ironic that the media simple didn't notice or care about Miliband's total media absence on the flooding issue for the last week despite him being in the country! Especially so when you consider their hysterical reaction to Cameron refusing to cancel his Rwanda trip while LotO during the flooding a few years ago? Obviously Cameron has to stay in the UK this time around, and because its his Government just as it was Brown's that has total control and responsibility for managing a crisis of this nature. Miliband would be far better off going to visit India next week, and leaving his Shadow Cabinet team to do their job on this one. As it is, cancelling his trip looks purely political unless he is personally planning to get his wellies on and man the sand bags. I admired Cameron for visiting the flooded areas and offering his commiserations, then going ahead with keeping his commitments during that planned trip to Rwanda instead of giving into the hysterical media demands that he hang around like a spare part last time.
  • Options
    Some gorgeous looking members of the rescue services to take my mind of my immediate troubles springs to mind. :)
    Scott_P said:

@DAaronovitch: Quick poll. Your house is in imminent danger of flooding. Who do u most want to appear on your doorstep? Cam, Ed, Nigel, Charles or Justin?

• Options

AndyJS said:

Interesting fact: around 2 million voters from 2010 will have died by the time of the 2015 election. That's about 7% of total voters.

How many new voters will there be due to people turning 18? Also are there any stats on how many ppl with live in a different constituency?
    Slightly more new voters turning 18 IIRC because there was a rise in the birthrate during the 1990s. I don't know the answer to the second question.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Unfortunately 8 consecutive hours of heavy rain are forecast for the Windsor area tomorrow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633842
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that simply being a homosexual (as opposed to homosexual acts) has never been illegal in the UK or England & Wales?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Am I right in thinking that simply being a homosexual (as opposed to homosexual acts) has never been illegal in the UK or England & Wales?

I believe Oscar Wilde was convicted of gross indecency without any direct proof of a homosexual act taking place.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Since Nicola proclaimed that politicising sport is "Shameful", are we going to hear Eck chuntering about Scolympians again if the Scottish TeamGB curlers bring home some medals?

Wanna laugh?
    I note that the tweet that England were losing 4-2 at curling on the BBC Sport site has finally been deleted after ridicule. Bad enough saying England when 4 Englishman were competing, but with none in the team, all being Scottish it is truly bizarre. And stupid. Shows BBC staff think UK = England.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Correct (in civilian life) but sadly it was criminal in the armed forces until 1991. Until then, soldiers suspected of being gay could have the minute details of their private lives - diaries, posters, letters, magazines etc - investigated as if it was a serious criminal investigation, with investigating officers looking for evidence merely that someone was gay.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ladbrokes were offering 50/1 against that what is being suggested by Cameron and Osborne will happen.

No, they weren't.
    Yes they were.

• Options

AndyJS said:

I believe Oscar Wilde was convicted of gross indecency without any direct proof of a homosexual act taking place.
    On the contrary - I believe (but I'm not sure) that evidence was given by a hotel maid about stains on the bedsheets (or some such evidence). There is little doubt that he was actually having a relationship with the man concerned.
  • Options
    As someone on Twitter said the other day, the Lib-Lab-Con-trick Bilderberg EUSSR lizard aliens scandalously malevolently deliberately stopped dredging the rivers, despite knowing that there was going to be lots of heavy rain, because they wanted to punish the people of Somerset for being a bunch of warped reactionary country bumpkins.

So why isn't the media calling it Watergate?
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

As someone on Twitter said the other day, the Lib-Lab-Con-trick Bilderberg EUSSR lizard aliens scandalously malevolently deliberately stopped dredging the rivers, despite knowing that there was going to be lots of heavy rain, because they wanted to punish the people of Somerset for being a bunch of warped reactionary country bumpkins.

have the badgers drowned now?
  • Options
    A very distinct whiff of hypocrisy there Mr Carnyx, just remind us of the ever frequently threatened SNP policy that would banish Trident from Faslane if Scotland was to become Independent! Yet again, its that old and very politically selective SNP 'pick and mix' bag on display. On a personal note, definitely seeing clear signs of the female/male divide on Scottish Independence as noted in recent polls. And that is certainly being backed up here on PB as well if anyone is paying close attention.
    Carnyx said:

SNIP

I suspect that even though he might want to say yes to all 3, there will be such an anti-Scottish fervour south of the Border post a Yes vote that he will be forced to say no to all 3.
    I don't think that at all. I think Scots are generally well liked in England and should they vote for independence some of us will be a bit sad about it but will wish them and their new nation state well.
    I hope you are correct but I fear that to "put backbone" into the English negotiators, people like Boris and Nigel Farage will turn up the "Scots are scroungers" rhetoric. Neither gentleman is particularly well liked in Scotland. We will also I suspect see the vengeance of the Labour Party which will be the biggest loser on both sides of the new international border.
    If the Scots were indeed scroungers, then they ought to be pleased to see us go - and lubricate the way with interim arrangements, doubtless intended to impose severe fiscal restrictions (of precisely the kind Mr Swinney is already more than used to: remember the SNP are the one major party in Scotland who practice proper fiscal rectitude and do not indulge in PFI/PPP).

But yes, logic is not all ... I'm inclined to share your fears, and to feel that in that situation the Labour Party, or perhaps rather its soon to be Scottish ex-MPs, may feel they have nothing to lose by trying to wreck things. You may recall that Mr Ian Davidson MP has already demanded very publicly that the MoD pull all shipbuilding orders from Glasgow if there is a Yes vote. A remarkable policy to put it mildly, making one's own constituents hostages to one's continuing salary and perquisites at the House of Commons. And that was quite some time ago!
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited February 2014
    JohnLoony said:

They stopped fully digging out the drainage ditches to provide a habitat for newts.

So Newtgate would be better.

http://www.somerset.gov.uk/irj/go/km/docs/CouncilDocuments/SCC/Documents/Environment/Countryside and Coast/Somerset Ditches & Ponds HAP.pdf

"Biodiversity in ditches and the surrounding terrestrial habitat can be
    detrimentally affected by low winter levels and generally would benefit by higher
    ditch levels throughout the year."
  • Options
    So it looks like blocking the drainage ditches to provide a habitat for the newts has drowned all the wildlife in Somerset.
  • Options
    Although - as mentioned below - they won't have to cull any badgers in Somerset for a while as they'll have all been humanely drowned by the environmentalists.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    MrJones said:

Although - as mentioned below - they won't have to cull any badgers in Somerset for a while as they'll have all been humanely drowned by the environmentalists.

The badgers might be keeping clear of the floodwaters by sitting on the goalposts. Perhaps that's why they moved them?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    MrJones said:

So it looks like blocking the drainage ditches to provide a habitat for the newts has drowned all the wildlife in Somerset.

looking at some of the pictures I suspect the oil, sewage and general floating detritus did the newts in first. Just add water.
  • Options

MrJones said:

looking at some of the pictures I suspect the oil, sewage and general floating detritus did the newts in first. Just add water.
    it'll be giant mutant newts next
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

So it looks like blocking the drainage ditches to provide a h
    abitat for the newts has drowned all the wildlife in Somerset.

it'll be giant mutant newts next
    Enormo newts, best not tell Mr Dancer.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited February 2014
    From today's YouGov poll:

The environment moves from 8th to a clear 2nd on Lib Dems' list of important issues facing the country (from 11th to 5th among all voters).

Something else to split the coalition (but still 4th on list of Tory voters).

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/gy3i6nz78i/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-110214.pdf
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2014

You do not, as I first supposed, have an ill-based prejudice that all politicians are motivated by greed, though you believe that they all seize money when they can. Instead, you have an ill-based prejudice that all politicians are in it for ego and power. This is burnished by your previously-expressed nihilist view that nobody sensible would want to join a political party.

Now. You are a lawyer with no known link to politics, partly resident in Hungary, yes? How many councillors (it was councillors we were talking about) do you know? How many of them are powerful in any meaningful sense? What proportion of them have ego-boosting experiences, more than, say, the average lawyer? What evidence can you offer that your offensive views are any more soundly based than, say, the average BNP supporter expounding crackpot generalisations about Tanzanians?

What evidence can I provide? Pretty strong evidence, as it happens, and very recent.

Local government has recently been obliged to bear the brunt of the cuts: 40% cuts by the Guardian's estimate.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/30/local-government-cuts-poorest-areas

Yet (in one of those rare examples of a single opinion poll telling us something useful) the public think that services have generally improved in the last five years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24454006

That should have been completely impossible if our locally elected officials had until that point been focused on delivering the best services for the best value for money. But only when they were required to turn their mind to that task did they do so.

The logical conclusion, therefore, is that until compelled by circumstance to do what they were nominally elected for, local councillors were in fact doing something quite different. I'm open to other theories than pursuing their ego and power, but they look like the very strong front runners to me.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,056
    antifrank said:

You do not, as I first supposed, have an ill-based prejudice that all politicians are motivated by greed, though you believe that they all seize money when they can. Instead, you have an ill-based prejudice that all politicians are in it for ego and power. This is burnished by your previously-expressed nihilist view that nobody sensible would want to join a political party.

What evidence can I provide? Pretty strong evidence, as it happens, and very recent.

Local government has recently been obliged to bear the brunt of the cuts: 40% cuts by the Guardian's estimate.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/30/local-government-cuts-poorest-areas

Yet (in one of those rare examples of a single opinion poll telling us something useful) the public think that services have generally improved in the last five years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24454006

That should have been completely impossible if our locally elected officials had until that point been focused on delivering the best services for the best value for money. But only when they were required to turn their mind to that task did they do so.

The logical conclusion, therefore, is that until compelled by circumstance to do what they were nominally elected for, local councillors were in fact doing something quite different. I'm open to other theories than pursuing their ego and power, but they look like the very strong front runners to me.
    The evidence you have presented suggests councillors were less competent in the past. It does not - in any way - support your evidence that they are on ego trips or are power crazed.

Let me rewrite your paragraph to make my point:

"Up until 1942, the British army suffered a series of defeats against the Germans. After that point, there were only successes. This proves that up until 1942, British officers were only in it for the ego and power trips."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The evidence you have presented suggests councillors were less competent in the past. It does not - in any way - support your evidence that they are on ego trips or are power crazed.

Let me rewrite your paragraph to make my point:

"Up until 1942, the British army suffered a series of defeats against the Germans. After that point, there were only successes. This proves that up until 1942, British officers were only in it for the ego and power trips."

It's a view, I suppose. Why do you think that the competence of councillors suddenly improved? I have a pretty clear and simple explanation for my view, that does not rely on a sudden collective change in the character of councillors.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

The environment moves from 8th to a clear 2nd on Lib Dems' list of important issues facing the country (from 11th to 5th among all voters).

Be afraid. Be very afraid. This is a giant prompt for a deluge of yoghurt knitting save-the-whale / forget human beings crap in their manifesto. Screw the warblers, dredge the rivers. If there is a god please will he strike Ed Davey down.
  • Options
    @antifrank

So your proof that councillors are in it for an ego trip is how wonderfully they appear to be coping with crippling cuts in the level of funding provided for the services they are legally obliged to operate?

I think the vast majority of councillors are insane for giving up so much time and putting in so much effort for very little reward and often a good deal of abuse.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

It depends on the churn in the local councilor base. I assume that the individuals are predominantly the same (I have no idea) and/or the quality of the overall pool has not changed significantly. Consequently if you assume that their primary function is to deliver high quality services in a cost efficient manner then either (a) they have suddenly got better at their job or (b) they were doing something other than their job in the past.

We've assumed away (a), so therefore they must have been doing something other than their job previously. Power and ego (e.g. pursuing their own personal priorities) seems a pretty good explanation, but open to others.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@antifrank

So your proof that councillors are in it for an ego trip is how wonderfully they appear to be coping with crippling cuts in the level of funding provided for the services they are legally obliged to operate?

I think the vast majority of councillors are insane for giving up so much time and putting in so much effort for very little reward and often a good deal of abuse.

The cuts aren't crippling. That's the point. For decades it appears that councillors were squandering 66% too much money to provide an inferior service.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Glad it wasn't any wetter last night or the road outside my house would've become like an ice rink. Forecast for the next couple of days still looks horrendous.

Cheers for the hat-tip, Mr. Eagles.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Neil said:

@antifrank

@Neil

I am amazed that, according to my county councillor, the council had no difficulty in finding £6m of savings and only found the extra £1m a little difficult.

So why had they been overspending for the previous years?
  • Options
    Mr. Financier, perhaps it's like time spent working. Give someone 3 hours to write something up and it'll take 3 hours. GIve them 1 hour and it'll take 1 hour.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Scott_P said:

Scots peg a new Scots pound to sterling and no debt will be paid

Hello International Money Markets, John Swinney here, can we borrow some cash?

How is your credit history?

We crashed the largest bank in the World and walked away from the rubble.

Hello... Are you still there?
    Scott, we expect such drivel from lying Tories. If we have no debt the lenders will be salivating, if we had a remote need to borrow. Much easier to borrow when debt free than when lumbered with £100B+ of Westminster debt.
    The posh boys cannot have it both ways , fair share of assets and us paying their debts or we go our separate ways and they keep their debts and steal our assets.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    The quality of councillors is getting better because there are now far fewer LibDems than there were.

Discuss. Use both sides of the paper.
This discussion has been closed.