Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is open

If you’re feeling Under Pressure, why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Re #26.

In my experience Arsenal fans make the best girlfriends.

They insist you take them up the Arsenal on a regular basis.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, what exquisite musical taste you have. You're My Fairy King ;)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DAaronovitch: Quick poll. Your house is in imminent danger of flooding. Who do u most want to appear on your doorstep? Cam, Ed, Nigel, Charles or Justin?
  • Options

Re #26.

They insist you take them up the Arsenal on a regular basis.

I'll get my coat.

More like, lots of fancy approach work but unable to finish things off in the box.
  • Options
    Mr. P, no Charlotte Hawkins option?
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited February 2014
    FPT:

Anyone thinking that the through-life costs of Dave-B are excessive had better look closer to defence contracts:
    • Cronie Blair spent £2-billion on 'buying-in' and giving away BAe-Systems' technology for the JSF/JCA,
    • Look at Gormless McBruin's Voyager PFI via the Bank-of-Scotland (and do the maths), and
    • The Right Dishonourable Total Hoon had some strange dealings with Berlusconi's Finmeccanica; Who employs him now...?
    Dave-B - Lightening-II is an Americanism (please note Al-Beeb) - is the only show in town. Thanks Labour (especially "Lord" West)....
  • Options

Re #26.

Not at all. It is Fat Bottomed Girls.

• Options
    I've added this as link 30

Party big guns to rule out currency union with Scotland

Scotland's hopes of keeping the pound will come under attack from George Osborne, Danny Alexander and Ed Balls

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/feb/11/main-parties-rule-out-scottish-currency-union?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Re 23:

I thought that the forces had 1968 off. I remember a recruiting ad to that effect.

Presumably active service was considered part of the interest. Surely restive Scots will sign on to yhe rUK foreign legion in the future if they fancy getting stuck in.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    "Scotland’s hopes of keeping the pound will come under attack from George Osborne, Danny Alexander and Ed Balls"

LOL

:)
  • Options
    "I thought that the forces had 1968 off. I remember a recruiting ad to that effect."

No-one died in combat, I think.

From arrse, its worded as "there has been only one year - 1968 - when a soldier of the Crown has not been killed while on active service somewhere in the world."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

"Scotland’s hopes of keeping the pound will come under attack from George Osborne, Danny Alexander and Ed Balls"

LOL

How oh how will they cope with that onslaught?
    The interesting issue is what these three actually turn out to say - and how far they leave themselves a loophole to try and keep the Scots on side to sterling if it comes to that (given things like the balance of payments). Osborne, as quoted, certainly seems to be sucking his teeth as much as he can without actually saying no, he can't mend the gasket.

It's not as if Messrs Osborne and Alexander are wildly popular in Scotland, either, though I don't know about Mr Balls (he does rather raise the question of why Mr Darling isn't doing his job if the union is so important that it takes Mr Darling to save it).
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, indeed, it'll be interesting to see the detail. Even if they just reiterate whatever Darling's line is, it'll be of significance (as those three will have a significant say in the economic aspect of potential negotiations if Yes wins).

*sighs*

I do hope Scotland votes No.
  • Options

Mr. Carnyx, indeed, it'll be interesting to see the detail. Even if they just reiterate whatever Darling's line is, it'll be of significance (as those three will have a significant say in the economic aspect of potential negotiations if Yes wins).

*sighs*

They are all going to quote The Governor.

You can't have stable currency union without political union. Look at Greece.

If you want a currency union, with political union, guess what?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    This behaviour sounds rather familiar

"But I wonder what Mr Alexander would make of the behaviour of the red rosette-wearing activists in Sale screaming into the face of Ukip-supporting pensioners, calling them “Nazi racist scum”? And will he back the view of his fellow party members who warned Ukip supporters who have boards up in their garden that they must be taken down because, “They’re our houses, they’re council houses”."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/nigel-farage-the-wythenshawe-byelection-has-been-as-dirty-as-they-come-9122243.html
  • Options
    Mr. P, it would also be legitimate and relevant to point out the eurozone is moving towards closer fiscal and banking integration, the opposite direction the SNP wants (regarding the UK).
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

I can see the Talisker wobbling in Salmond's hands as I write

• Options
    Sorry, Nige...

@JohnRentoul: Translation: "Not going to happen." General election debates cannot be "taken for granted". BBC http://t.co/bEPSqsQf9d
  • Options
    isam said:

"But I wonder what Mr Alexander would make of the behaviour of the red rosette-wearing activists in Sale screaming into the face of Ukip-supporting pensioners, calling them “Nazi racist scum”? And will he back the view of his fellow party members who warned Ukip supporters who have boards up in their garden that they must be taken down because, “They’re our houses, they’re council houses”."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/nigel-farage-the-wythenshawe-byelection-has-been-as-dirty-as-they-come-9122243.html

Charming.

And looking at charmless Hugh's response it just emphasises that people like him are the true fascists.
  • Options

isam said:

Charming.

And looking at charmless Hugh's response it just emphasises that people like him are the true fascists.
    Labour and BNP playing Stalin and Hitler to UKIPs Churchill..
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Carnyx said:

Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

The interesting issue is what these three actually turn out to say - and how far they leave themselves a loophole to try and keep the Scots on side to sterling if it comes to that (given things like the balance of payments). Osborne, as quoted, certainly seems to be sucking his teeth as much as he can without actually saying no, he can't mend the gasket.

It's not as if Messrs Osborne and Alexander are wildly popular in Scotland, either, though I don't know about Mr Balls (he does rather raise the question of why Mr Darling isn't doing his job if the union is so important that it takes Mr Darling to save it).
    The interesting thing to me is that the No / Unionist side don't seem to have realised that they're effectively fighting an election campaign. A very important one.
    I'm being dense (my fault, no doubt) - could you please clarify?

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Mick_Pork said:

LOL

And here is how it looked to McCrone in 1974:

"It must be concluded therefore that large revenues and balance of payments
    gains would indeed accrue to a Scottish Government [from North Sea Oil] in the event of
    independence provided that steps were taken either by carried interest or by
    taxation to secure the Government ‘take’. Undoubtedly this would banish any
    anxieties the Government might have had about its budgetary position or its
    balance of payments. The country would tend to be in chronic surplus to a
    quite embarrassing degree and its currency would become the hardest in
    Europe, with the exception perhaps of the Norwegian kroner. Just as deposed
    monarchs and African leaders have in the past used the Swiss franc as a
    haven of security, so nowwould the Scottish pound be seen as a good hedge
    against inflation and devaluation and the Scottish banks could expect to find
    themselves inundated with a speculative inflow of foreign funds. "

Tragic.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

, though I don't know about Mr Balls

I do.

Balls was one of the 'big guns' sent to scotland to try and 'save' labour's 2011 scottish election campaign from itself.

That went well.

As I said before the thing to watch out for will be if labour start to get desperate and double down on the negativity like they did in 2011. Which they show every sign of doing so. They still don't seem to have a clue that currency is way, way down the list of the scottish public's concerns and priorities for Independence.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Re no #22, to be fair the Americans barely made it on time, although I'm sure that the Canadians made a good and valiant contribution.

And I'm rather pleased that we've managed to forget Gallipoli! The Brits have a rather bad habit of commemorating glorious defeats (Corunna, Dunkirk, Flores, etc)
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Charming.

Is it acceptable to call fellow posters "fascists" on PB?
    It is not.
  • Options
    Frankly the unionists have become a laughing stock. The strategy to deliberately create uncertainly is risible. No wonder Salmond wants a debate with Dave:

1. David, would you welcome an independent Scotland into Sterling?

Ooh, tricky, maybe, dunno.

2. David, would you support your good neighbour Scotland's membership of the EU?

Erm, maybe, maybe not, not sure, perhaps.

3. David, would you welcome open borders with your neighbour and trading partner?

Erm...

(I say all this as a unionist)
  • Options

*sighs*

Tot homines, quot sententiae - but point taken, though as has been pointed out by others what is said in the runup and what happens after a yes are different beasties. By the way, is it just an accident of wording, or are you expecting an all-party coalition for negotiations?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Derrick McGuire ‏@3CXDesmo

It`s so reassuring that Labour have ditched the tactics which led to #McCrone being buried for 30 yrs.. Oh !Hang on.. http://wingsoverscotland.com/richard-baker-is-a-liar/

Janet Graham ‏@Jintyg51

Wings Over Scotland | Lies then and lies now http://wingsoverscotland.com/lies-then-and-lies-now/ … #Misinformation #Bias #CoverUp #OilRevenue #YesScot #IndyRef #McCrone
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

isam said:

Charming.

Look, Wolfie, just because you and your "spark mates in Big Dave's greasy spoon, we all had Hi-Vis on" are desperate for your party to win loads of votes from Labour, it just isn't happening.
    Zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Charming.

No, but when you condone calling Ukip supporters "Nazi", "racist" and "scum" you do rather invite it.

• Options
    That sort of intimidatory behaviour is unlikely to win over wavering voters. Sometimes I wonder if canvassers do more home than good. I remember canvassing for Labour in 1997 with some very New Labour folk, but also some unreformed unilateralist militants in the target seat of Loughborough. Enthusiastic though they were, I think they struggled to win over many waverers. Perhaps the canvass data and GOTV effects of the longstanding supporters was the point. I found the whole experience quite thought provoking, not least how amateurish it all was. The opposition was worse though, hardly campaigned at all as far as we could tell.
    Hugh said:

screaming into the face of Ukip-supporting pensioners, calling them “Nazi racist scum”?

Seems fair enough.

• Options
    Mr. Pork, it's also worth considering how much the Triad's speech(es) will be for Scottish consumption, and how much for non-Scottish consumption.

They may be seeking to neutralise it as a General Election issue by agreeing a cross-party consensus on certain/many aspects that would be subject to negotation.
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 7s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour have a five point lead: CON 34%, LAB 39%, LD 10%, UKIP 11%
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, we'll have to wait and see, but my guess would be broad agreement in many areas of negotiation amongst the big three parties. They'll all be wary of being painted as soft and, at the same time, not want a bidding war where a position becomes so 'tough' that it's unrealistic (to use a silly example, making the border at the Antonine Wall).
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

Frankly the unionists have become a laughing stock. The strategy to deliberately create uncertainly is risible. No wonder Salmond wants a debate with Dave:

2. David, would you support your good neighbour Scotland's membership of the EU?

3. David, would you welcome open borders with your neighbour and trading partner?

Erm...

I suspect that even though he might want to say yes to all 3, there will be such an anti-Scottish fervour south of the Border post a Yes vote that he will be forced to say no to all 3.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

isam said:

Charming.

Look, Wolfie, just because you and your "spark mates in Big Dave's greasy spoon, we all had Hi-Vis on" are desperate for your party to win loads of votes from Labour, it just isn't happening.
    Zzzzzzzzzzz
    Tough stretch on nights?
    What does that even mean?
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Carnyx said:

I do.

Balls was one of the 'big guns' sent to scotland to try and 'save' labour's 2011 scottish election campaign from itself.

That went well.

As I said before the thing to watch out for will be if labour start to get desperate and double down on the negativity like they did in 2011. Which they show every sign of doing so. They still don't seem to have a clue that currency is way, way down the list of the scottish public's concerns and priorities for Independence.

You mean from survey data like Sir Tom Hunter's new neutral website?

http://scotlandseptember18.com/hunter-announces-second-phase-poll-results-independence/
  • Options
    Mr. Easterross, not that I'm the embodiment of all Englishness, but I'd suggest only the first would be a No. The third's contingent on Shengen[sp], but if Ireland can manage I see no reason Scotland could not.

You're right that an acrimonious break-up is a sadly realistic possibility, though. Hope it doesn't come to that.
  • Options

Erm...

I suspect that even though he might want to say yes to all 3, there will be such an anti-Scottish fervour south of the Border post a Yes vote that he will be forced to say no to all 3.
    I don't think that at all. I think Scots are generally well liked in England and should they vote for independence some of us will be a bit sad about it but will wish them and their new nation state well.
  • Options

Erm...

Alex, What currency will you use? Euro. Sterling Don't know...

Alex, will you be a member of NATO? no yes, we want to allow Nukes in Scottish waters. Shh, don't tell anyone

Alex, will you be member of the EU? The experts say no An invisible lawyer I can't tell you about told me we could...

Alex, what happened to the Arc of Prosperity? Er...

Will a separate Scotland be a Republic? yes We want to keep the Queen

It would be a hoot
  • Options
    Anyway, I am off for the night,
  • Options
    Is there a link to the original survey in #22? Maybe rather a voodoo poll.

Remember also that more Brits (and French) died at Gallipoli than ANZACS.

I bet fewer still are aware of the battles in Tanganyika, Namibia Salonika and Mesopotamia involving other Commonwealth troops.
    Charles said:

Re no #22, to be fair the Americans barely made it on time, although I'm sure that the Canadians made a good and valiant contribution.

And I'm rather pleased that we've managed to forget Gallipoli! The Brits have a rather bad habit of commemorating glorious defeats (Corunna, Dunkirk, Flores, etc)

• Options
    @catherine_mayer: Surely what Buzzfeed was invented for: 21 Pictures Of Politicians In Wellies Staring At Floods http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/pictures-of-politicians-in-wellies-and-staring-at-floods via @jimwaterson
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

Carnyx said:

I do.

That went well.

You mean from survey data like Sir Tom Hunter's new neutral website?

http://scotlandseptember18.com/hunter-announces-second-phase-poll-results-independence/

Which also backs up previous polling that was done in November.
    Not to mention that the No campaign has been beating away on those issues for years now, front and centre yet they self-evidently still rank very low indeed. They just don't seem to get it

It's like having scottish tory surgers trying to persuade the scottish public.

Laughable.
  • Options
    YouGov is 39/34

Yawn.
  • Options
    Back at Wraysbury Primary School, the focal point of the community’s rescue efforts, Ed Miliband had arrived. After taking the wrong path into the building he was ushered into a meeting of “Bronze Command”. His aide was locked out. Mr Miliband later emerged into the crowded school hall and took centre stage to do an interview with Sky News. “Oh no you don’t,” shouted Margaret Lenton. “You people get out. We are busy here. We are trying to get people rescued.” Mr Miliband retreated.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4003027.ece
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Charming.

I didn't call you a fascist, I just implied it.

However, the standards you hold sum up the Left. You condone calling UKIP supporting pensioners Nazi racist scum yet go crying to Mummy when someone implies something about you.

Golden rule, if you can't take it don't dish it out.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Erm...

Alex, What currency will you use? Euro. Sterling Don't know...

Alex, will you be a member of NATO? no yes, we want to allow Nukes in Scottish waters. Shh, don't tell anyone

Alex, will you be member of the EU? The experts say no An invisible lawyer I can't tell you about told me we could...

Alex, what happened to the Arc of Prosperity? Er...

Will a separate Scotland be a Republic? yes We want to keep the Queen

It would be a hoot
    The difference is they have something else to say - a vision, something positive. We have focused on technocratic stuff and deliberately trying to create uncertainly which fools no-one. We might yet win the election, but we are losing the campaign.
  • Options
    @dellamirandola0: @anntreneman some poor Spad is frantically rushing around trying to set up a foreign trip so that Nick can cancel it
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

isam said:

Charming.

Zzzzzzzzzzz
    Tough stretch on nights?
    What does that even mean?
    Sorry Wolfie, went off one there for a second, you seemed a bit tired.

Perhaps ask what your spark mates think when you're clocking on tomorrow.
    Some of my mates are sparks, I'm not. I don't clock on anywhere haha!

What's your problem with working class people?
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

Charming.

No, but when you condone calling Ukip supporters "Nazi", "racist" and "scum" you do rather invite it.

I think it's fair enough that members of the voting public should be allowed to express whatever opinion they want about UKIP voters, and even better if they are correct.
    You're not so keen on being called a fascist though. Why not? Most of us are voters here, yet when one of us suggests that your views make you a fascist, you run snivelling to the mods. Yet you think it is OK to scream worse insults at people in the street

It's fine to express an opinion, but what has been described by Farage surely violates the law: behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace.

And as for it being correct... well, some Kippers might be racists as are some members of all political parties. Scum and Nazi... no. You might believe that believing in restricting immigration makes someone a racist, but if so you are clearly a donkey orifice in my opinion.

• Options
    And at sea, if I may add - Coronel/Falklands for a start, even if Jutland is deemed to be in Western Europe and the U-boats operated closer to home than in WW2 (can't remember figures for worldwide raiders such as the Emden).

Don't know if the Russian intervention counts, though I seem to recall most/all was in European Russia anyway.

Is there a link to the original survey in #22? Maybe rather a voodoo poll.

Remember also that more Brits (and French) died at Gallipoli than ANZACS.

I bet fewer still are aware of the battles in Tanganyika, Namibia Salonika and Mesopotamia involving other Commonwealth troops.

Charles said:

• Options

Erm...

I don't think that at all. I think Scots are generally well liked in England and should they vote for independence some of us will be a bit sad about it but will wish them and their new nation state well.
    I hope you are correct but I fear that to "put backbone" into the English negotiators, people like Boris and Nigel Farage will turn up the "Scots are scroungers" rhetoric. Neither gentleman is particularly well liked in Scotland. We will also I suspect see the vengeance of the Labour Party which will be the biggest loser on both sides of the new international border.
  • Options

The difference is they have something else to say - a vision, something positive. We have focused on technocratic stuff and deliberately trying to create uncertainly which fools no-one. We might yet win the election, but we are losing the campaign.

The "vision" Eck is peddling is everything exactly the same, but better cos it won't have any English in it.

That's not positive, it's not even rational. Some people are buying it though.
  • Options

YouGov is 39/34

Yawn.

the average Labour opinion poll lead has slipped to about 4.5, it was 6.5 not so long ago. So some movement.

• Options
    Very good documentary just shown on BBC2 Scotland outlining the issues around the Independence referendum, giving an overview and explaining in what appeared to me to be an admirably neutral way what it was all about and what the arguments are from each side.
  • Options
    Hugh/Isam.

Don't interact with each other as your conversations aren't interesting nor are they productive.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The "vision" Eck is peddling is everything exactly the same, but better cos it won't have any English in it.

He is creating a positive vision of a brave new nation state - that is a romantic idea. You and I may not wish to see it, but that's not the same thing. No is underestimating its opponent. Time to shape up.
  • Options
    @hopisen: You didn't know, but today was first "have you ever cleaned up your mother's piss?" Day. It's all party plan to restore trust in politics.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

YouGov is 39/34

Yawn.

http://sonyanancysims.com/myPictures/Animals/squirrel laughing.gif

Sshhhh.....don't mention it.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 1h

Cameron: "Money is no object". "We are a wealthy country" Two hostages to fortune in future austerity debates?
    "There is no money left".

"We're all in this together".

There's PR and then there's incompetent fop PR.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Hugh/Isam.

Don't interact with each other as your conversations aren't interesting.......

BIG LOL!
  • Options

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

Charming.

I think it's fair enough that members of the voting public should be allowed to express whatever opinion they want about UKIP voters, and even better if they are correct.
    You're not so keen on being called a fascist though. Why not? Most of us are voters here, yet when one of us suggests that your views make you a fascist, you run snivelling to the mods. Yet you think it is OK to scream worse insults at people in the street

It's fine to express an opinion, but what has been described by Farage surely violates the law: behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace.

And as for it being correct... well, some Kippers might be racists as are some members of all political parties. Scum and Nazi... no. You might believe that believing in restricting immigration makes someone a racist, but if so you are clearly a donkey orifice in my opinion.

And you are beetle semen, Nigel is a horse's fart and Hugh is the diseased urine of a Great Dane.

Or we could discuss politics.
  • Options

Hugh/Isam.

Don't interact with each other as your conversations aren't interesting nor are they productive.

Me???!!

He has implied I am racist, says I have "nasty far right views", BNP lite, relentlessly provokes me with this odd disbelief that my mates are electricians, to which I don't react, laughs at pensioners being caledd nazi scum, and you put me in the same bracket???!

Unreal!
  • Options

He is creating a positive vision of a brave new nation state -

Except he isn't...

The is brave new Nation State will share someone elses's Head of State, Currency, Borders, Embassies, LOLR,...

It's the LEAST brave birth of a Nation in history.

It's a childrens' comfort blanket nation state. Everything you know and cherish will be just the same. Without the English.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Must have missed this big story the other day what with the flooding and all:

http://www.dorkingandleatherheadadvertiser.co.uk/Chicken-cleaned-Michael-Portillo/story-20567185-detail/story.html
  • Options

Erm...

I hope you are correct but I fear that to "put backbone" into the English negotiators, people like Boris and Nigel Farage will turn up the "Scots are scroungers" rhetoric. Neither gentleman is particularly well liked in Scotland. We will also I suspect see the vengeance of the Labour Party which will be the biggest loser on both sides of the new international border.
    If the Scots were indeed scroungers, then they ought to be pleased to see us go - and lubricate the way with interim arrangements, doubtless intended to impose severe fiscal restrictions (of precisely the kind Mr Swinney is already more than used to: remember the SNP are the one major party in Scotland who practice proper fiscal rectitude and do not indulge in PFI/PPP).

But yes, logic is not all ... I'm inclined to share your fears, and to feel that in that situation the Labour Party, or perhaps rather its soon to be Scottish ex-MPs, may feel they have nothing to lose by trying to wreck things. You may recall that Mr Ian Davidson MP has already demanded very publicly that the MoD pull all shipbuilding orders from Glasgow if there is a Yes vote. A remarkable policy to put it mildly, making one's own constituents hostages to one's continuing salary and perquisites at the House of Commons. And that was quite some time ago!
  • Options

Very good documentary just shown on BBC2 Scotland outlining the issues around the Independence referendum, giving an overview and explaining in what appeared to me to be an admirably neutral way what it was all about and what the arguments are from each side.

What was it called Richard? Presumably it's available on iPlayer in England?

Thank you for the recommendation.
  • Options
    isam said:

Hugh/Isam.

Me???!!

He has implied I am racist, says I have "nasty far right views", BNP lite, relentlessly provokes me with this odd disbelief that my mates are electricians, to which I don't react, laughs at pensioners being caledd nazi scum, and you put me in the same bracket???!

Unreal!
    As we said, it's unproductive and uninteresting, move on.
  • Options

There was also one on News 24 called "5 million ways to be Scottish" including the claim that Morris Dancing is a Scottish invention
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Scott_P said:

He is creating a positive vision of a brave new nation state - that is a romantic idea. You and I may not wish to see it, but that's not the same thing. No is underestimating its opponent. Time to shape up.
    The scottish tory surgers have a foolproof 'master strategy' though. After spending all this time whining about Independence they'll try to pretend that it isn't Independent enough.

It's so 'brilliant' it could have been dreamed up by the same witless fools who praised Osbrowne's omnishambles to the skies as it all fell to pieces around them.
  • Options

isam said:

Hugh/Isam.

Me???!!

Unreal!
    As we said, it's unproductive and uninteresting, move on.
    I agree with you on that.

• Options

YouGov is 39/34

Yawn.

the average Labour opinion poll lead has slipped to about 4.5, it was 6.5 not so long ago. So some movement.

The table on link 8 (men and women) shows that it has been absolutely static for months on end - has not budged at all. It's remarkable
  • Options

YouGov is 39/34

Yawn.

The table on link 8 (men and women) shows that it has been absolutely static for months on end - has not budged at all. It's remarkable
    There is always one that has to bring facts into everything....either get with the agreed line, or you will be Hodged.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

There was also one on News 24 called "5 million ways to be Scottish" including the claim that Morris Dancing is a Scottish invention
    That's OK, we can hit back with the claim that Haggis is English.

• Options

Another English institution Eck wants to maintain in his Brave New Nation State...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Tony Benn believed to be seriously ill in hospital:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tony-benn-fears-grow-seriously-3134955
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    Mrs J has a new French colleague, and he and his girlfriend are feeling a bit lonely after their move to civilisation. In order to foster good international relations, we invited them over for a meal this evening.

I managed to make it to dessert before calling them cheese-eating surrender monkeys. I'm rather proud of my British restraint. ;-)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Scott_P said:

The scottish tory surgers have a foolproof 'master strategy' though. After spending all this time whining about Independence they'll try to pretend that it isn't Independent enough.

It's so 'brilliant' it could have been dreamed up by the same witless fools who praised Osbrowne's omnishambles to the skies as it all fell to pieces around them.
    Oh, Mr Pork, be fair! Ms Lamont was also recently in the rather odd position of complaining that Mr Salmond wasn't independent-minded enough as I seem to recall.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    FWIW I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to scream at voters of any persuasion, or for posters here to do it either.

That sort of intimidatory behaviour is unlikely to win over wavering voters. Sometimes I wonder if canvassers do more home than good. I remember canvassing for Labour in 1997 with some very New Labour folk, but also some unreformed unilateralist militants in the target seat of Loughborough. Enthusiastic though they were, I think they struggled to win over many waverers. Perhaps the canvass data and GOTV effects of the longstanding supporters was the point. I found the whole experience quite thought provoking, not least how amateurish it all was. The opposition was worse though, hardly campaigned at all as far as we could tell.

Hugh said:

screaming into the face of Ukip-supporting pensioners, calling them “Nazi racist scum”?

Seems fair enough.

I once went canvassing with a superkeen guy (not left-wing, just keen) who just wouln't take Yes for an answer. I remember one classic exchange:

Voter: Yeah, I'll vote for you, you do a good job.
    Assistant: You are SO right! Voting Labour will transform your prospects! You're a student, right?
    Voter (looking faintly alarmed): Er, yes.
    Assistant: Well, Labour will completely revamp university education, making it FAR more accessible to ordinary working people, FAR more relevant to later life. I am SO pleased you will vote Labour.
    Voter: Um, I'm not so sure now.

He was unrepentant as we walked away, "It's very important to nail down these votes, y'know."

Personally I like canvassing in a small group of 4-5 trusted colleagues so I can keep track of what's happening and wander over when someone actually answers the door. That does, I think, work at the margins (you hear the "Well, at least I've met you, unlike the other lot" phrase a lot), as well as of course helping GOTV. But you can lose votes too...

• Options

Scott_P said:

Sadly I fear both appear to be true and indeed football was "invented" in Scotland as it was played at the court of Mary Stuart in Holyrood and Stirling. Would be happy to reclaim haggis in exchange for Morris dancing.
  • Options

YouGov is 39/34

Yawn.

Since about September last year for the tories and kippers and last May for Labour.
    The kipper immobility is the most surprising since the start of the year was expected to be ideal for them after January's Bulgarian and Romanian 'exodus' and now a farcical shambles over blame for the floods. Yet they still aren't really going up. Plenty of time yet before May of course but it's still very curious.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Scott_P said:

He is creating a positive vision of a brave new nation state -

Except he isn't...

The is brave new Nation State will share someone elses's Head of State, Currency, Borders, Embassies, LOLR,...

It's the LEAST brave birth of a Nation in history.

It's a childrens' comfort blanket nation state. Everything you know and cherish will be just the same. Without the English.
    Er, why should we bother with sorting out something anew when we already own it (or more precisely a share of it, negotiable as it may be one way or another)? It's called common sense, prudence and minimal disruption (relatively).
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Jesus.

Do those in favour keeping the UK as it is even realise that every time they "debate" the issue mentioning Haggis, Braveheart, Deep Fried Mars Bars, you know the stuff, they are moving Scottish Independence incrementally closer?

It's not just here, though God knows it's bad enough here. But you see it in the national media too.

They can't help themselves.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Scott_P said:

My dear Mick, it will be the likes of the Scottish Tory surgers as you describe us and the Tartan Tories in the SNP who will have to take on the task of negotiating a sensible settlement with rUK while the Scottish left go into a full scale panic at what they have created. The only way an independent Scotland would retain the confidence of the international money markets would be if the centre-right economic policy followed by the SNP for the past 7 years continues under Tartan Tories like Messrs Swinney and Ewing.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Er, why should we bother with sorting out something anew

The preceding claim was that Eck had a vision of a Brave New something. He doesn't, and you appear to agree.
    Carnyx said:

It's called common sense, prudence and minimal disruption

Maintaining the Union, as it's also known
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916

FPT:

Anyone thinking that the through-life costs of Dave-B are excessive had better look closer to defence contracts:

• Cronie Blair spent £2-billion on 'buying-in' and giving away BAe-Systems' technology for the JSF/JCA,
    • Look at Gormless McBruin's Voyager PFI via the Bank-of-Scotland (and do the maths), and
    • The Right Dishonourable Total Hoon had some strange dealings with Berlusconi's Finmeccanica; Who employs him now...?
    Dave-B - Lightening-II is an Americanism (please note Al-Beeb) - is the only show in town. Thanks Labour (especially "Lord" West)....
    From what I've read, the Voyager's a good plane, but the PFI scheme is madness. Even the NAO thinks it is ruinous value for money.

Hoon is the Labour minister I would most like to see hanging from a tree. He was hideously incompetent. In fact, when was the last time we had a good defence minister of any political persuasion?
  • Options

FWIW I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to scream at voters of any persuasion, or for posters here to do it either.

Hugh said:

Seems fair enough.

I once went canvassing with a superkeen guy (not left-wing, just keen) who just wouln't take Yes for an answer. I remember one classic exchange:

Voter: Yeah, I'll vote for you, you do a good job.
    Assistant: You are SO right! Voting Labour will transform your prospects! You're a student, right?
    Voter (looking faintly alarmed): Er, yes.
    Assistant: Well, Labour will completely revamp university education, making it FAR more accessible to ordinary working people, FAR more relevant to later life. I am SO pleased you will vote Labour.
    Voter: Um, I'm not so sure now.

He was unrepentant as we walked away, "It's very important to nail down these votes, y'know."

Personally I like canvassing in a small group of 4-5 trusted colleagues so I can keep track of what's happening and wander over when someone actually answers the door. That does, I think, work at the margins (you hear the "Well, at least I've met you, unlike the other lot" phrase a lot), as well as of course helping GOTV. But you can lose votes too...

I'd welcome you reconsidering your misrepresentation of my views.
  • Options

I managed to make it to dessert before calling them cheese-eating surrender monkeys. I'm rather proud of my British restraint. ;-)

Is that because, as you served the pudding, they wondered where the cheese had got to?
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Jesus.

Do those in favour keeping the UK as it is even realise that every time they "debate" the issue mentioning Haggis, Braveheart, Deep Fried Mars Bars, you know the stuff, they are moving Scottish Independence incrementally closer?

It's not just here, though God knows it's bad enough here. But you see it in the national media too.
    He's quite right. One poster this evening seemed to be referring to Braveheart, and other regular flavours are Bannockburn and Buckie tonic wine.

Apart from anything else, after a good few years of it, it's booring to us types of our ilk, and no doubt to some of the other posters.

I could go on about morris dancing if I wanted, but why should I? I think it's wonderful - sitting outside a country pub with a pint of local ale, with dancers in the yard, is one of my favourite occupations of all time.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

My dear Mick, it will be the likes of the Scottish Tory surgers as you describe us and the Tartan Tories in the SNP who will have to take on the task of negotiating a sensible settlement with rUK

That tartan tories nonsense certainly worked well for Labour in 2011, didn't it?
    Result -SNP landslide.

As for the amusing idea of Cammie's 'mighty' negotiating prowess, you'll be sure to mention that the next time he loses something as crucial to his electoral fortunes as Boundary Changes to the hopeless Clegg. Or when he has another pointless Veto flounce. Or when his backbenchers inevitably humiliate him again because they don't trust his Cast Iron Pledges whatsoever.

• Options
    24. What if JRR Tolkien had worked in advertising?

One does not simply walk into a job in advertising.

Sorry!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Jesus.

He's quite right. One poster this evening seemed to be referring to Braveheart, and other regular flavours are Bannockburn and Buckie tonic wine.

Apart from anything else, after a good few years of it, it's booring to us types of our ilk, and no doubt to some of the other posters.

I could go on about morris dancing if I wanted, but why should I? I think it's wonderful - sitting outside a country pub with a pint of local ale, with dancers in the yard, is one of my favourite occupations of all time.
    Can I say, every time I go to Scotland, I'm disappointed that I've seen no one that looks or dresses like C U Jimmy.

I'm hoping it changes for my visit next month.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Carnyx said:

Er, why should we bother with sorting out something anew

The preceding claim was that Eck had a vision of a Brave New something. He doesn't, and you appear to agree.
    Carnyx said:

It's called common sense, prudence and minimal disruption

Maintaining the Union, as it's also known
    There's a difference between being static, and gradual movement, as one Charles Darwin knew very well. Creationists could never understand why he (more or less) started Origin of Species with a chapter on pigeon breeding. There is also a difference between where one starts, and where one ends. And there is a lot more to independence than currency (notwithstanding its importance).

• Options

Scott_P said:

Sadly I fear both appear to be true and indeed football was "invented" in Scotland as it was played at the court of Mary Stuart in Holyrood and Stirling. Would be happy to reclaim haggis in exchange for Morris dancing.
    Robert May's The Accomplisht Cook (1865) has four recipes for Haggas Pudding, two made with oatmeal or oat groats, two made with breadcrumbs as the mixer.

• Options
    On the floods, Ed Miliband has not had such a good day. He donned his wellies and got shouted at. Being leader of the opposition in these situations is hopeless. Visit and some people will ask why you – you metropolitan scumbag – are there. Don't visit and stay in your office in London and the same people will ask why you – you metropolitan muppet – ignored those in distress.

But close your eyes. Can you imagine Ed Miliband out there leading the response to these floods? In a way, I just about can. I've long said that the numbers (the fall of the Lib Dems and the rise of Ukip) are with him, and he should not be underestimated. Even as he moves further and further to the left, the electoral advantage remains his.

But as the election draws near he has a problem. Increasingly some voters will concentrate on the binary choice of Miliband v Cameron. Does Miliband fit standing in front of the famous door of Number 10, or visiting emergency services, or chairing a crisis meeting? Do you really think he would be doing a better job this week than David Cameron? Do you?
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100259185/does-anyone-think-ed-miliband-would-be-doing-a-better-job-of-handling-the-floods/
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Jesus.

You are probably right, but as I'm neutral on Scottish seperatism, I think it is reasonable to stand on the sidelines and wind them up.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting fact: around 2 million voters from 2010 will have died by the time of the 2015 election. That's about 7% of total voters.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Previous thread - It looks like this decade will have 3 momentous referendums, on electoral reform, Scottish Independence and the EU. It could well be that they are all defeated, but by progressively narrow margins, with AV defeated resoundingly, Independence comfortably and EU withdrawal by a hairsbreadth!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Previous thread - It looks like this decade will have 3 momentous referendums, on electoral reform, Scottish Independence and the EU. It could well be that they are all defeated, but by progressively narrow margins, with AV defeated resoundingly, Independence comfortably and EU withdrawal by a hairsbreadth!

Or all three defeated resoundingly.
This discussion has been closed.