Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Most GOP voters think there was a lot of voters fraud at WH2020 – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    rcs1000 said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Two places I've been to recently where quality of life seemed really high are Madrid and Seville. But I bet their GDP figures aren't that impressive compared to places in the USA that no-one would choose to live in.

Seville has an absolutely exquisite old centre, recently revamped by an ambitious and clever council. As I'm sure you saw. They basically abolished the private car (NB: @BartholomewRoberts) and it is much the better for it

However if you go into the suburbs you see where most people live. They certainly don't live in adorable houses in the old town. They tend to live in slightly bleak high rise towers, one after the other

The weather and the food and the river and the wine still mean life is pretty sweet, but not quite as nice as it looks
    Oh by the way Leon good article in the spectator this week.
    Spassiba!
    Impressive body of work Leon but as a good man i wont identify you.
    Oh, really, won't you? Please, do tell!

I've always wanted to know who @Leon really is - I've been trying to work it out for years.
    Oh, it's quite easy to work out who @Leon is.

Believes in conspiracy theories: Check
    Writes engagingly: Check
    Travels widely: Check
    Has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol: Check

There is only one man, alive or dead, who ticks all these boxes. And, as Sherlock Holmes observed, once you have eliminated the impossible then whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth,

@Leon is Edgar Allen Poe.
    WRITES ENGAGINGLY?????
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

So:

You know how I noted that all the Russian trolls were using blacklisted IPs historically, in that they were routing traffic through someone's compromised PC to make it look like they were actually in the UK or wherever.

Well, this one was a bit more interesting. Almost every single comment was from a different IP address. This means that they've set up a fairly sophisticated system to keep jumping between different PCs, so as to - hopefully - avoid being uncovered that way.

LOL, because a dozen posts from a dozen different IP addresses, never sends flags to a forum admin? ;)
    To be fair, there are some PBers - like @Leon - who are always travelling and therefore have many different IP addresses.

But almost every single comment? I mean come on...
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,960

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Pulpstar said:

As an occasional public transport user (Car in for MOT) I can't say having my train randomly cancelled is a particularly good advert for the system

I've had lots of problems travelling by train this year to work - a journey of less than 50 miles that takes 1.5 hours by car, often the journey is in excess of 3 hours on the train due to delays, cancellations, timetable changes, the excuses are endless. The train fare is £30 return, about 30p / mile. Lots of people abandoned the train and lost their jobs after the strikes in 2016. By car it would be about £10 in petrol. People travel by car because there is no alternative.
    Nothing works in this country any more, it really does feel on the slide back to the 1970s, only with much worse music and worse economic growth.

The problem with the railways is that - regarding the staff, no one cares anymore - it is total disinterest. They just laugh at you.
    Not just the railways, but in general British customer service is also getting worse, in my business too. Its back to the Seventies again.
    Travel more

Customer service is an issue all over the world, post pandemic. This is not a uniquely British thing. People have been displaced, veteran workers have retired, migration patterns have altered

It is probably worse in some aspects of British life than in other countries, but it is better here than elsewhere in other areas

And urban decay is palpable and visible across the entire western world
    I went to the Faeroes wildlife watching earlier in the year, and Hamburg last year, and couldn't help but notice how much better customer service was in each. Germany used to have quite a reputation for rude shop staff, but it has changed. Hamburg is a lovely city, and great dining.

The Faeroese were fantastic though. They don't get many tourists and always are curious and interested in travellers, indeed would invite us in for refreshments in the more isolated villages.

Hamburg is one of the richest regions in all of Europe (and has been for a long time)

"Hamburg and Oberbayern were among the ten most economically powerful EU regions in 2019. In Hamburg the gross domestic product per capita (adjusted for purchasing power) was 95% above the EU average."

The Faroe Islands is one of the richest places on earth, with a GDP per capita of $80,000+ ranking it higher than Singapore

https://forecaststats.com/charting/faroe-islands-gdp-per-capita-current-us-forecast/

What you've done is basically go to Switzerland and Dubai and say "Gee, these places are doing better than Sunderland"
    Any recommendations for Hamburg? I'm likely to be there for a day in October - not somewhere I'd ordinarily opt to visit, I assumed it would be as 'interesting' as, say, Southampton - sounds like I'm wrong.
    If you're into model railways, or if you're not, you never need to see another one again as the Minatur Wonderland is the definitive set. The trains run on time here.

https://youtu.be/2mNhxi_D5kE

Hamburg is centered on the Alstersee lake. You walk, sail, take boat trips.
  • Did anyone (else) notice, who is - or rather was - our latest Putin-bots favorite PBer?

Gee, wonder why? (Not really.)
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Miklosvar - You may be right about car sales, but the latest US data does not support your argument.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/204342/comparison-of-us-vehicle-production/
    Reminder: In the US most "light trucks" are actually cars.

(My own guess? As electric cars become significantly cheaper than internal combustion cars -- as I predict they will in the next 5-10 years -- people will buy more of them. As cars become better at driving themselves, more people will be able to use them, which will also increase car sales.

FWIW, the closest Chevrolet dealer to me is advertising the cheapest Bolt at 27.5 K.
    https://buy.leejohnsonchevrolet.com/chevrolet/?evar109=114482&evar120=Sincro
    You might have to wait a bit for one, since I see some of their cars are "in transit".)
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Sadiq Khan diesn’t actually hate cars, he just does his best impression of hating cars…

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/15/sadiq-khan-charge-drivers-blackwall-tunnel-fund-new-london/
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited August 2023
    rcs1000 said:

So:

You know how I noted that all the Russian trolls were using blacklisted IPs historically, in that they were routing traffic through someone's compromised PC to make it look like they were actually in the UK or wherever.

Well, this one was a bit more interesting. Almost every single comment was from a different IP address. This means that they've set up a fairly sophisticated system to keep jumping between different PCs, so as to - hopefully - avoid being uncovered that way.

Out of interest what would happen if someone came on writing similar things but from a bona fide UK IP address? How much does their technical trace accelerate their banning vs the content of what they write?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,212
    I am quite intrigued why it is every time the same approach - one line comments - almost identical. And every time it leads to a ban after about an hour or so. Same thing week after week. Faced with this - wouldn't you try out a different strategy?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    rcs1000 said:

So:

What is especially mad is that they are going to all this trouble to get the technology right, but they can't maintain their amiable persona for more than about ten minutes, before they start getting menacing, weird, and/or pro-Putin and anti-vax. It's like building a sports car then immediately driving it into a ditch, cause you don't know how to steer

How hard is it to be chatty for a couple of days, then slowly introduce your agenda?

What is the point? Most odd
  • Foxy said:

This pro-Russian pro-Putin thing really does seem to be a thing amongst the Republican Party grassroots and the European far-right (God knows how) so that sort of half-explains the persistent and pathetic troll farm attempts on here that never end.

They presumably think they'll get through to their target audience by doing it, somehow.

You're puzzled why extreme right-wingers in the West are pro-Putin?
    I am not. What does surprise me is how often extreme leftists, and post colonial places in Africa are pro-Putin. Its like they haven't noticed that the Soviet Union has collapsed, nor that Khruschev was Ukranian.
    With respect to Africa, they DID notice that Thatcher AND Reagan were, effectively if not rhetorically, pro-apartheid.

A legacy whose stink is still cogent . . . and pungent.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    rcs1000 said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Two places I've been to recently where quality of life seemed really high are Madrid and Seville. But I bet their GDP figures aren't that impressive compared to places in the USA that no-one would choose to live in.

Seville has an absolutely exquisite old centre, recently revamped by an ambitious and clever council. As I'm sure you saw. They basically abolished the private car (NB: @BartholomewRoberts) and it is much the better for it

However if you go into the suburbs you see where most people live. They certainly don't live in adorable houses in the old town. They tend to live in slightly bleak high rise towers, one after the other

The weather and the food and the river and the wine still mean life is pretty sweet, but not quite as nice as it looks
    Spassiba!

I've always wanted to know who @Leon really is - I've been trying to work it out for years.

There is only one man, alive or dead, who ticks all these boxes. And, as Sherlock Holmes observed, once you have eliminated the impossible then whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth,

Totally wrong.

He’s Ambrose Bierce
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

So:

LOL, because a dozen posts from a dozen different IP addresses, never sends flags to a forum admin? ;)
    To be fair, there are some PBers - like @Leon - who are always travelling and therefore have many different IP addresses.

But almost every single comment? I mean come on...
    My posts will also be from dozens of different IPs - but you have a real name for me, and I’ve been here for almost a decade. Leon, well, we all know who he is really.

That a new poster turns up with a dozen different IPs for a dozen posts - straight in the bin.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    darkage said:

I am quite intrigued why it is every time the same approach - one line comments - almost identical. And every time it leads to a ban after about an hour or so. Same thing week after week. Faced with this - wouldn't you try out a different strategy?

I reckon that there are several sleepers on PB. Biding their time. Posting about pizza, cars and cricket. Listening to a Numbers Station every night, just waiting for the signal...
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

So:

So how did you know he was a botski?

I'd hate to think you were banning people just in case, especially when they really seem to like me

:smiley:
    Tradecraft, as old Smiley used to say…
    Sandpit said:

Eastside said:

Foxy said:

Eastside said:

TimS said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Spassiba!

He's George Osborne.
    I’m sure somebody said he’s actually Yvette Cooper.
    Something very interesting happened to Leon in 1987. Its between me and him though.
    Were you in Bananarama?
    Lol. Leons a good bloke. He has led an interesting life as well.
    But how is he supposed to travel, when the BA pilots are all off sick?
    They are all dead. And been replaced by the Lizard Men in people suits.

Didn’t you get the memo?

Sandpit said:

Eastside said:

Foxy said:

Eastside said:

TimS said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Spassiba!

He's George Osborne.
    Something very interesting happened to Leon in 1987. Its between me and him though.
    Were you in Bananarama?

Didn’t you get the memo?
    Oh sh!t, should I have been vaccinated?
  • rcs1000 said:

So:

Only to be uncovered the OPPOSITE way.
    darkage said:

Not a very bright troll, I think. They certainly do all sound like the same person.

Was it ever established whether the poster we had a few months ago (can’t remember the name but his avatar was an image of Malcolm McDowell) was a particularly eloquent Russian troll or just a well educated British Tankie? Or Seamus Milne. He was - unusually - dealing out the pro-Russian talking points from a left wing perspective. I recall there were some oddities with his IP address profile too.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Eastside said:

Foxy said:

Eastside said:

TimS said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Spassiba!

He's George Osborne.
    Were you in Bananarama?

Didn’t you get the memo?
    Oh sh!t, should I have been vaccinated?
    No, Lizard People have a terrible reaction to the vaccine.

Miklosvar - You may be right about car sales, but the latest US data does not support your argument.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/204342/comparison-of-us-vehicle-production/
    Reminder: In the US most "light trucks" are actually cars.

(My own guess? As electric cars become significantly cheaper than internal combustion cars -- as I predict they will in the next 5-10 years -- people will buy more of them. As cars become better at driving themselves, more people will be able to use them, which will also increase car sales.

FWIW, the closest Chevrolet dealer to me is advertising the cheapest Bolt at 27.5 K.
    https://buy.leejohnsonchevrolet.com/chevrolet/?evar109=114482&evar120=Sincro
    You might have to wait a bit for one, since I see some of their cars are "in transit".)

I had an Uber driver with a Chevy Bolt the other day, and she gushed about it the whole journey. Her view was that because fuel was basically free (she had solar panels at home and drove evenings), she was making $2-3 more per hour than when she drove a Prius.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Eastside said:

TimS said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Spassiba!

He's George Osborne.
    He's already told us many times about something that happened in 1987, which involved getting found not guilty.

Foxy said:

This pro-Russian pro-Putin thing really does seem to be a thing amongst the Republican Party grassroots and the European far-right (God knows how) so that sort of half-explains the persistent and pathetic troll farm attempts on here that never end.

They presumably think they'll get through to their target audience by doing it, somehow.

You're puzzled why extreme right-wingers in the West are pro-Putin?
    I am not. What does surprise me is how often extreme leftists, and post colonial places in Africa are pro-Putin. Its like they haven't noticed that the Soviet Union has collapsed, nor that Khruschev was Ukranian.
    With respect to Africa, they DID notice that Thatcher AND Reagan were, effectively if not rhetorically, pro-apartheid.

A legacy whose stink is still cogent . . . and pungent.
    Absolutely wrong on Thatcher. How do I know this?

Because I went to see F W De Klerk give a lecture on the Ending of Apartheid at the Albert Hall, and afterwards there was a private function with Thatcher and De Klerk present (the only time I ever encountered her in person) - in both the lecture and his personal comments afterwards De Klerk was quite firm that Thatcher encouraged S Africa to come in from the cold, and end apartheid

And see here, Mandela talking of his first meeting with her. "Margaret Thatcher is an enemy of apartheid"

https://order-order.com/2018/08/29/mandela-margaret-thatcher-enemy-apartheid/

Sorry, but this is plain wrong

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

So:

Out of interest what would happen if someone came on writing similar things but from a bona fide UK IP address? How much does their technical trace accelerate their banning vs the content of what they write?
    Great question.

We welcome a range of views on this site*, and we're happy to have total nutters like @Dura_Ace and @kle4.

But when people start spreading stuff that is basically made up (BA pilots dropping dead after being vaccinated, for example), then the ban hammer tends to get waved.

* Publicly disliking Radiohead is - I'm afraid- a rare example of a perversion that is not acceptable.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,960
    edited August 2023
    darkage said:

It depends what their objective is. My guess it's to fill a quota and submit a report. They will be more interested in convincing whoever is paying them to do this stuff than anyone on PB.com. I'm guessing it's working for their purposes, because they haven't changed their approach.

It's a little flattering for PB.com to be seen as such an influential channel that they keep sending these guys over.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    Just echoing the thanks for the tip on Chris Christie. Made me look dead smart to some friends.
    FF43 said:

darkage said:

It depends what their objective is. My guess it's to fill a quota and submit a report. They will be more interested in convincing whoever is paying them to do this stuff than anyone on PB.com. I'm guessing it's working for their purposes, because they haven't changed their approach.

It's a little flattering for PB.com to be seen as such an influential channel that they keep sending these guys over.
    Or they are the equivalents of the wire laying guy in Enemy At The Gates.
    FF43 said:

darkage said:

Yeah, but we've had some really good intelligent ones in the past, while these days we get boring ones.

I think we've probably been downgraded from a Tier One influence site, to a Tier Two, and therefore don't merit the more intelligent trolls.

With that said, I do have a theory: that is that the real Russian troll is someone we'd never suspect (like @Foxy) who's deep undercover, and these obvious trolls exist to draw our attention away from him.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750

I don't really understand why the GOP wannabees who are running or thinking of running against Trump don't all do what Chris Christie is doing, i.e. tell the truth. They'd have nothing to lose, and potentially much to gain, by doing so. It's a very simple calculation: either Trump is brought down by the various prosecutions and legal cases, or he isn't. If he isn't, he gets the nomination, with near 100% certainly. But if he is, then you don't want to have been on his (losing) side in the ensuing unseemly scrabble to replace him.

Because they are some combination of craven and stupid ?

The only one who’s so far managed to maintain the creative tension between keeping a distance from Trump while successfully pandering to his supporters is Ramaswamy.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,521
    @TimS

I thought you might be interested in this.

I have just visited the vineyards on Pico in the Azores. The vines are grown from the old lava fields in small boxed fields with small lava walls.

This ensures they have heat and low humidity with protection from sea and wind.

Low production of grapes though.

High alcohol content of white wine (14%) but low of the red.

Most woke employment story ever?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/15/dundee-scotland-period-tsar-jason-grant-sue-discrimination/

A man who claims he was unlawfully sacked as Scotland’s first “period poverty tsar” because of his sex is to take legal action against the four public bodies that hired him.

“Jason Grant, whose appointment as a period dignity officer in Tayside sparked a global backlash from women, claims his abrupt dismissal was a breach of the Equality Act.

“He has succeeded in arguing he should be able to take legal action against Dundee & Angus College, Perth College, Angus Council and Dundee City Council, which were all represented on a body that appointed him.”
  • viewcode said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Spassiba!

He's @Sunil_Prasannan . Their lifestyles are identical.
    I am Spartacus @Leon!
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

Yeah, but we've had some really good intelligent ones in the past, while these days we get boring ones.

I think we've probably been downgraded from a Tier One influence site, to a Tier Two, and therefore don't merit the more intelligent trolls.

With that said, I do have a theory: that is that the real Russian troll is someone we'd never suspect (like @Foxy) who's deep undercover, and these obvious trolls exist to draw our attention away from him.

More likely someone like you - if they really want to discredit the west ?
    It appears that the outstanding journalist Elena Kostyuchenko has been poisoned by the Russian government in Munich.
    https://twitter.com/TimothyDSnyder/status/1691550702345031918
    edited August 2023
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

Where would you go if you wanted to seriously influence British politics, via a forum?

It's not obvious. All the newspaper comments sections are ideological silos. Guardianistas read the comments on the Guardian, Daily Mail readers do their venting at the Mail. The Times is so rigidly paywalled it's near pointless

Perhaps the FT? Or maybe the Mail simply because it has so many visitors, including Americans
  • Did anyone (else) notice, who is - or rather was - our latest Putin-bots favorite PBer?

"Uh, we had a slight Russian Bot malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"
    edited August 2023

@TimS

I have just visited the vineyards on Pico in the Azores. The vines are grown from the old lava fields in small boxed fields with small lava walls.

Funnily enough I was thinking about the Azores this week, because county Waterford reminded me very much of them with the blue hydrangeas, dark sand beaches and soft landscapes. I’d love to go back (I had a week in Sao Miguel a few years ago, in an old white house on the big crater lake at Sete Cidades - but it pissed down with rain the whole time) and I’d like to see the Pico vineyards. The (white) wine was pretty good.

For fans of English wine, vineyards are starting to get véraison now in places depending on what grapes they grow. I’ll find out later this week if my few fruiting vines - I’m only in second year - are getting there yet. But this year is a huge crop so they need a lot of Sun between now and October to ripen.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    I was interested in this BBC piece about the apparent success of Suits advancing a theory that there is a certain reaction against the more common in recent years trend of 'prestige' shows which only have 10-13 episodes per year.

I'm not sure that is true, but I do regret that some great shows do so few episodes per year now the opportunity for later binges is much diminished. It's not as though going 10 episodes a year instead of 20 has actually led to increased quality per episode, even though it seems like it should.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20230815-how-suits-became-tvs-most-popular-show
    Nigelb said:

It appears that the outstanding journalist Elena Kostyuchenko has been poisoned by the Russian government in Munich.

Ooh, a German Litvinenko?
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

Well I know there is a Lincolnshire Poacher Numbers Station. Maybe there is also a Leicestershire Doctor?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,278
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

Foxy is suitably avuncular. I shall think of him as Uncle Vanya from now on.
    Nigelb said:

My wife is friends with Nadya Tolokonnikova, and she lives constantly with that fear.

It's a scary life being a Kremlin critic.

Did anyone (else) notice, who is - or rather was - our latest Putin-bots favorite PBer?

"Uh, we had a slight Russian Bot malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"
    It was a boring conversation anyway.

@TimS

Highly reminiscent of the Italian island of Pantelleria: hot, sunny, African, volcanic - where they make a luscious sweet wine

I once spent a very hedonistic week there. The wine ain't cheap

https://callmewine.co.uk/passito-pantelleria-ben-rye-donnafugata-2021-P43625.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOymBhAFEiwAnodBLONMIqpwe6r30aXVFv8agEV7UWUq8KNnusKNH-7AfG4L0z4qLvRsPRoCI34QAvD_BwE
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

No, I am still waiting for my cheque from Conservative Central Office.

I didn't go to Cambridge so definitely not a Russian agent.
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

Where would you go if you wanted to seriously influence British politics, via a forum?

It's not obvious. All the newspaper comments sections are ideological silos. Guardianistas read the comments on the Guardian, Daily Mail readers do their venting at the Mail. The Times is so rigidly paywalled it's near pointless

Perhaps the FT? Or maybe the Mail simply because it has so many visitors, including Americans
    The FT comment zones are usually very quiet.

The Mail, though, I'm sure that gets a lot of attention.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

The FT comment zones are usually very quiet.

The Mail, though, I'm sure that gets a lot of attention.
    The FT is quite influential in the EU, however (I am sure this is one reason it is so assiduously Remoaner). And it has prestige in the USA

The comments aren't THAT quiet - and you do see accusations of "bots at work here"

If I was a bot I'd target the FT for the intelligentsia and the Mail for hoi polloi
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

Cheque? Was that a deliberate trigger for another cashless society spat? Russian troll causing discord on the site, I reckon.
    A
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

That's until the right phrase triggers your hidden personality.

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Pulpstar said:

As an occasional public transport user (Car in for MOT) I can't say having my train randomly cancelled is a particularly good advert for the system

I've had lots of problems travelling by train this year to work - a journey of less than 50 miles that takes 1.5 hours by car, often the journey is in excess of 3 hours on the train due to delays, cancellations, timetable changes, the excuses are endless. The train fare is £30 return, about 30p / mile. Lots of people abandoned the train and lost their jobs after the strikes in 2016. By car it would be about £10 in petrol. People travel by car because there is no alternative.
    Nothing works in this country any more, it really does feel on the slide back to the 1970s, only with much worse music and worse economic growth.

The problem with the railways is that - regarding the staff, no one cares anymore - it is total disinterest. They just laugh at you.
    Not just the railways, but in general British customer service is also getting worse, in my business too. Its back to the Seventies again.
    Travel more

Customer service is an issue all over the world, post pandemic. This is not a uniquely British thing. People have been displaced, veteran workers have retired, migration patterns have altered

It is probably worse in some aspects of British life than in other countries, but it is better here than elsewhere in other areas

I went to the Faeroes wildlife watching earlier in the year, and Hamburg last year, and couldn't help but notice how much better customer service was in each. Germany used to have quite a reputation for rude shop staff, but it has changed. Hamburg is a lovely city, and great dining.

The Faeroese were fantastic though. They don't get many tourists and always are curious and interested in travellers, indeed would invite us in for refreshments in the more isolated villages.

Hamburg is one of the richest regions in all of Europe (and has been for a long time)

"Hamburg and Oberbayern were among the ten most economically powerful EU regions in 2019. In Hamburg the gross domestic product per capita (adjusted for purchasing power) was 95% above the EU average."

The Faroe Islands is one of the richest places on earth, with a GDP per capita of $80,000+ ranking it higher than Singapore

https://forecaststats.com/charting/faroe-islands-gdp-per-capita-current-us-forecast/

What you've done is basically go to Switzerland and Dubai and say "Gee, these places are doing better than Sunderland"
    Any recommendations for Hamburg? I'm likely to be there for a day in October - not somewhere I'd ordinarily opt to visit, I assumed it would be as 'interesting' as, say, Southampton - sounds like I'm wrong.
    If you haven’t booked accommodation yet..

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Nigelb said:

I don't really understand why the GOP wannabees who are running or thinking of running against Trump don't all do what Chris Christie is doing, i.e. tell the truth. They'd have nothing to lose, and potentially much to gain, by doing so. It's a very simple calculation: either Trump is brought down by the various prosecutions and legal cases, or he isn't. If he isn't, he gets the nomination, with near 100% certainly. But if he is, then you don't want to have been on his (losing) side in the ensuing unseemly scrabble to replace him.

The only one who’s so far managed to maintain the creative tension between keeping a distance from Trump while successfully pandering to his supporters is Ramaswamy.
    Also, they will hope that if Trump is brought down, his fans will seek the closest possible alternative - they certainly won't switch to a critic. If Trump is convicted it will be because of a crime. There's no crime in pretending to sympathise with him, so you can try to be the Legal UltraTrumpist.

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Pulpstar said:

Travel more

That looked like a building site when I went past about 2 months ago. Are they finished?
    edited August 2023
    rcs1000 said:

So:

Couldn't they just be moving from one coffee shop to another? (Unlikely, I know. Would simply involve logging on to a different network each time using a laptop, rather than their own mobile device).
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

So:

Couldn't they just be moving from one coffee shop to another? (Unlikely, I know. Would simply involve logging on to a different network each time using a laptop, rather than their own mobile device).
    Sure:

And if they'd had a couple of IP addresses, that would have been the most likely explanation. But someone who has a dozen IP addresses in 90 minutes on a Tuesday evening... well... it seems unlikely.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

So:

What is especially mad is that they are going to all this trouble to get the technology right, but they can't maintain their amiable persona for more than about ten minutes, before they start getting menacing, weird, and/or pro-Putin and anti-vax. It's like building a sports car then immediately driving it into a ditch, cause you don't know how to steer

How hard is it to be chatty for a couple of days, then slowly introduce your agenda?

I'd guess its the same person (not paid, just an amateur - we flatter ourselves) using different computers - perhaps a college student with any number of systems to borrow for a few minutes. The style is too similar - English pretty good, shuns upper case, same right-wing themes.
    edited August 2023

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

So:

I'd guess its the same person (not paid, just an amateur - we flatter ourselves) using different computers - perhaps a college student with any number of systems to borrow for a few minutes. The style is too similar - English pretty good, shuns upper case, same right-wing themes.
    There are settings in some VPN systems to randomly exit at points all over the place. So every few seconds your IP changes.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Eabhal said:

Of the 490 pedestrians injured in collisions on Edinburgh's pavements over the last 20 years, only 9 were hit by a cyclist.

The 8 that were killed were all hit by drivers, including two children under the age of 5.

With that, I bid you all good evening.

Children under the age of 5 shouldn't have been driving in the first place.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,521
    TimS said:

@TimS

Funnily enough I was thinking about the Azores this week, because county Waterford reminded me very much of them with the blue hydrangeas, dark sand beaches and soft landscapes. I’d love to go back (I had a week in Sao Miguel a few years ago, in an old white house on the big crater lake at Sete Cidades - but it pissed down with rain the whole time) and I’d like to see the Pico vineyards. The (white) wine was pretty good.

For fans of English wine, vineyards are starting to get véraison now in places depending on what grapes they grow. I’ll find out later this week if my few fruiting vines - I’m only in second year - are getting there yet. But this year is a huge crop so they need a lot of Sun between now and October to ripen.
    I was canoeing in Sete Cidades a week ago. We had good sunny weather.

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

So:

I'm sure you're right that @eastside was the same person we've had before. But we've had many iterations that were not him.

And the fact that (in previous incarnations) they had blacklisted IP addresses, which suggests they were routing traffic via compromised PCs in the UK, is highly suggestive of them not being who they say they are.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Pulpstar said:

Travel more

That looked like a building site when I went past about 2 months ago. Are they finished?
    I walked past it last year and building site would flatter it!

As well as being a flaktower, it was a massive air raid shelter, and survived all the bombings. Indeed it is so solid that demolishing it is effectively impossible, like the U-boat pens at Lorient.

Eabhal said:

Of the 490 pedestrians injured in collisions on Edinburgh's pavements over the last 20 years, only 9 were hit by a cyclist.

The 8 that were killed were all hit by drivers, including two children under the age of 5.

With that, I bid you all good evening.

Children under the age of 5 shouldn't have been driving in the first place.
    A former neighbour was teaching his children to drive in his Tesla P100D.

Depending on how you measure it, that’s about 600hp equivalent.

What could possibly go wrong?
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    https://twitter.com/JoelSercel/status/1691549821629526219

Asteroid due to wipe out everything on the latitude of London, on Thursday. Just for info.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Pulpstar said:

Travel more

It's like the architectural equivalent of Michael Fabricant.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Pulpstar said:

Travel more

I walked past it last year and building site would flatter it!

As well as being a flaktower, it was a massive air raid shelter, and survived all the bombings. Indeed it is so solid that demolishing it is effectively impossible, like the U-boat pens at Lorient.

They tried blowing up one in Berlin, after the war. Hundreds of tons of spare ordinance. Barely dented.

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Pulpstar said:

Travel more

It's like the architectural equivalent of Michael Fabricant.
    30 foot of concrete could be useful if you have the wrong kind of Russian friends.
  • jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 775

rcs1000 said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Spassiba!

Totally wrong.

He’s Ambrose Bierce
    So _that's_ where he went

Nigelb said:

Also, they will hope that if Trump is brought down, his fans will seek the closest possible alternative - they certainly won't switch to a critic. If Trump is convicted it will be because of a crime. There's no crime in pretending to sympathise with him, so you can try to be the Legal UltraTrumpist.
    Hasn't worked for mini me DeSantis, who is hated by not a few Trump faithful.
    Former senior FBI official pleads guilty to illegally assisting Putin ally
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/08/15/fbi-mcgonigal-guilty-plea/
    Former high-ranking FBI official Charles McGonigal pleaded guilty Tuesday in federal court to conspiring to violate U.S. sanctions and to laundering money by secretly working on behalf of a Russian oligarch he had been tasked with investigating.

The former chief of counterintelligence in the FBI’s New York City office, who was charged in January, settled his New York case with federal prosecutors by pleading guilty to one count in a superseding document that is used to override or avoid a criminal indictment and streamline plea agreements. He faces up to five years in prison and is to be sentenced Dec. 14...

One of Trump's indicted co-conspirators.

Just found out from very solid sources that Trump’s PAC won’t assist @JennaEllisEsq
    with one penny of legal fees because she has been complimentary and supportive of DeSantis...

https://twitter.com/johncardillo/status/1691489879048302600

edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Hasn't worked for mini me DeSantis, who is hated by not a few Trump faithful.
    Exactly. I do get the idea that going after Trump is not a winning strategy, and that some are seeking to be the fallback Trumpist candidate, but the ones who have done the best as noted has not been the ones who have been the most craven and lickspittle. It's not that the ones doing comparively better as alternatives (rather than the NeverTrumpers) are not Trump sympathising, they clearly are, but despite the hype and dismissal of the, er, dismissal, of his chances, the too obvious ones like DeSantis are flailing.

More generally on the indictments, the bloke at the DOJ Trump wanted to install as AG seems like the most crazy and dangerous of the lot, given he was badgering his bosses to sign false statements (despite them already not agreeing to it), and even phoned his boss and told him he was now in charge, with the very amusing note that the acting AG responded he would not be fired by a subordinate, and scheduled a meeting with Trump who backed down under threat of mass resignations.
    edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

Just found out from very solid sources that Trump’s PAC won’t assist @JennaEllisEsq
    with one penny of legal fees because she has been complimentary and supportive of DeSantis...

Quite a few of his co-conspirators in various charges appear to see no out but to cleave to him and hope he protects them when re-elected, but others really should consider just flipping already - the loyalty people show to a man who demonstrates no loyalty is astonishing. It's not all fear, he has negged half the GOP and frightened the rest.
    Miklosvar said:

https://twitter.com/JoelSercel/status/1691549821629526219

Asteroid due to wipe out everything on the latitude of London, on Thursday. Just for info.

That's a shame, good weather predicted for then I was thinking of having a barbecue.
  • Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

So:

There are settings in some VPN systems to randomly exit at points all over the place. So every few seconds your IP changes.
    Yes, a rotating proxy service. We use one when making requests to Steam to get past their rate limiting.
    Nigelb said:

How petty of him.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,546
    Interesting podcast by Ken White and some other lawyers on the GA indictment. They don't think it's very good.

https://www.serioustrouble.show/p/unfortunately-this-episode-is-rico#details
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

Not my suggestion - just pointing out that EVs (like ICEs) hoover in vast quantities of air for cooling. They generally filter this air, so as not to cover the internals in crap. So, some of them literally clean the air. I wonder how the various makes deal with the build up on the filters?

This is arse. They have HEPA filters for cabin ventilation but nothing else. The air cooled parts of a Tesla, oil pump for example, does not filter air.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    viewcode said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Eastside said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Spassiba!
    Few people realise that I secretly self-identfy as Julie Burchill so I am grateful for your discretion
    But strangely La Burchill now identifies as Nadine Dorries, so there's no pleasing some folk...
    In French, the gender of the word does not necessarily match the gender of the noun that that word represents. Jules is indubitably a woman (if not, my transdar is broked) but there's no guarantee that the word "Burchill" is a feminine noun, which means that the correct construction may just be "Le Burchill".

Pause

The Thick of It is on BBC by the way... 😀
    Bof... le vagin....
  • New thread.
This discussion has been closed.