Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s no way that UKIP should be betting favourite to win

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s no way that UKIP should be betting favourite to win most votes at EURO2014 based on current polling

It’s not often that we see such a mismatch between the betting on an election just three and a half months away and what the pollsters are telling us. That’s what’s happening with the May Euro elections where the UKIP winning most votes prices remains strong even though there’s little polling evidence to support it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited February 2014
    FARAGO DELENDA EST.
  • Options
    I can't call UKIP. On the one hand, there's in a whole different world to pre-2010 and draw a lot of support from older voters, who are much more likely to vote. On the other hand, a lot of their current polling support seems to come from 'don't vote's and less affluent defectors, and who knows if they'll both to vote in the euros.

One thing worth noting: UKIP polled very similar in 2009 euros, compared to 2004, notwithstanding the fact they polled 2nd due to Labour's collapse. They'll prob clean up a lot of the EngDem and BNP vote this time, but they might not break 25%. However, I also very much doubt that Labour can more than double their 2009 vote to break into the 30s.

Confusing, eh?
  • Options
    A note on turn-out: there are local elections in London in May (which there weren't in '09).

OGH's point is important: the national vote share and the number of seats won may fit poorly if turn-out varies much from one region to another (we tend to think of it as a national phenomenon usually).

I wonder how much has been placed in bets on this market, and whether or not UKIP supporters are not disproportionately responsible for its shape.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

FARAGO DELENDA EST.

I think that should be DELENDUM, unless you know something about his bits-and-pieces that I don't.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    CAVETE OSBORNI ET DONA FERENTES
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,262
    UKIP coming third would be unbelievably good news for the tories. Bit like Moyes winning a game for United. I will believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    In other news it appears increasingly definite that Hilary is on the move: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/democrats/10629370/Hillary-Clintons-team-begin-to-assemble-campaign-staff.html

If she runs she wins the nomination at least. The odds against her being blind sided by a brilliant campaigner like Obama twice must be astronomical.

Can the republicans find a candidate who is (a) sane and (b) well, that is the main priorty really. Christie should have been that candidate but it appears he or his staff fall at the first hurdle, a bridge too far perhaps.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Off-topic:

I wonder if our resident bitcoin-evangelist will link to the following story:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26118002

Soon:
    * POP *
  • Options

Confusing, eh?

Indeed.

It is tempting to view UKIP's vote share in 2009 as a ceiling, because they saw so little advance from 2004, but there were so many votes to smaller parties that you'd expect UKIP to hoover up.

I think Neil called this right yesterday. We have no reason to doubt the accuracy of this ICM snapshot, but UKIP are very likely to rise in the polls as the elections approach, just as they did with the locals last year and just as they did with the European elections five years ago. A relatively modest swing of 5% from each of Labour and Tories to UKIP would put UKIP in front by a whisker.
  • Options
    In terms of predicting the GE, it could be that what happens in London may be more important than what happens in the Euro elections.

It's also worth noting that voters can be pretty cute. Boris won the mayoral election last time around but Labour won the Assembly vote that took place at the same time. On that basis, it is quite possible we may see very different results in the locals and the Euros.
  • Options
    UKIP are a much more visible party than they were in 2009. It is unsafe to assume that their vote share will increase by anything like as much in the campaign as they did then. There must also be an upper limit on the dustbin vote that UKIP forage for.

I like our host's 10/1 bet (I would say that, I'm on it too), but labour should now be odds on favourite.
  • Options
    Some utterly bonkers posts on here last night comparing the avowed racist separatist Jan Smuts to Mandela. Probably time for me to go! Is it always like this on here? It's rather like the Young Conservatives in the 1980s.
  • Options
    Should have fixed the roof when the sun was shining...

Paul Waugh‏@paulwaugh·2 mins
    Looks like @Ed_Miliband is missing Daybreak on ITV cos he's stuck near flood-hit Maidenhead.
  • Options

Looks like @Ed_Miliband is missing Daybreak on ITV cos he's stuck near flood-hit Maidenhead.

Send in the helicopter - the show must go on! (Would you miss a date with Holly Willoughby?)

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

Send in the helicopter - the show must go on! (Would you miss a date with Holly Willoughby?)

I thought the problem for ITV is that no-one watches Daybreak! Don't they swap the presenters around every few months after more dismal viewing numbers. Never watched it myself. Sky News for me with a look at the BBC Scotland segment twice an hour.
  • Options

That's an opportunity for Ed! Get the cameras out there and show him getting stuck in.
  • Options
    @TheLastBoyScout if you disagree, stand and argue your corner. In the past we have had posters praising North Korea's juche and posters supporting the BNP. We have even had some praise Ed Miliband. All views should be engaged with.
  • Options
    AEP at the Telegraph has cried wolf so many times about the German Constitutional Court that pretty much everyone had stopped paying attention.

Has this resulted in us ignoring a big, black furry thing with sharp teeth? Der Spiegel seems to think so: http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/german-court-calls-ecb-bond-buying-into-question-a-952556-2.html

They suggest this is a boost to the AfD, roughly the German equivalent of UKIP. Whilst a decision of the German constitutional court about the extent of the ECB's mandate to buy bonds seems a somewhat unlikely doorstep conversation piece there does seem to be an increasing mood that the EU has gone a little too far. The Swiss decision was another straw in the wind.

I have little time for UKIP and even less for their MEPs but are they really going to fall back at the time of such a mood? Can't see it.
  • Options

I thought the problem for ITV is that no-one watches Daybreak! Don't they swap the presenters around every few months after more dismal viewing numbers. Never watched it myself. Sky News for me with a look at the BBC Scotland segment twice an hour.
    I think you are right - in fact I think the fragrant Holly is on This Morning - which kind of proves your point :)
  • Options
    Where are the English council elections this year? You have so many different sets of council elections it gets very confusing for a simple Scot like me!
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

AveryLP said:

FARAGO DELENDA EST.

I think that should be DELENDUM, unless you know something about his bits-and-pieces that I don't.

I'm not a Latinist but wasn't "um" the accusative masculine ending, and as Farago is the subject of est so therefore nominative, and thus is "us" not the ending? As in delendus. I await to be corrected and stand dunce like in the corner.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited February 2014
    welshowl said:

AveryLP said:

FARAGO DELENDA EST.

I'm not a Latinist but wasn't "um" the accusative masculine ending, and as Farago is the subject of est so therefore nominative, and thus is "us" not the ending? As in delendus. I await to be corrected and stand dunce like in the corner.
    Quite so, sir! I neutered him - wish-fulfilment?
  • Options

Some utterly bonkers posts on here last night comparing the avowed racist separatist Jan Smuts to Mandela. Probably time for me to go! Is it always like this on here? It's rather like the Young Conservatives in the 1980s.

You are wrong for several reasons:
    1) Smuts was a much more complex character than the one-dimensional image (censure) you portray.

2) Mandela was a much more complex character than the one-dimensional image (acclamation) you portray.

3) By having a thread about Smuts, some people might actually have learnt something about an interesting and important piece of history. It certainly caused me to go on-line for a refresher.
  • Options

Or any other decade. Only they're not so young any more - please stay, LBS, we need you to help us poke things at them...

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    DavidL said:

AEP at the Telegraph has cried wolf so many times about the German Constitutional Court that pretty much everyone had stopped paying attention.

Has this resulted in us ignoring a big, black furry thing with sharp teeth? Der Spiegel seems to think so: http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/german-court-calls-ecb-bond-buying-into-question-a-952556-2.html

They suggest this is a boost to the AfD, roughly the German equivalent of UKIP. Whilst a decision of the German constitutional court about the extent of the ECB's mandate to buy bonds seems a somewhat unlikely doorstep conversation piece there does seem to be an increasing mood that the EU has gone a little too far. The Swiss decision was another straw in the wind.

I have little time for UKIP and even less for their MEPs but are they really going to fall back at the time of such a mood? Can't see it.

Anti-EU feeling does seem to be surging across the EU.
  • Options

I think you are right - in fact I think the fragrant Holly is on This Morning - which kind of proves your point :)
    The last thing you should do is leave. You always present your opinion in a polite, matter of fact manner which should not offend anyone, no matter how much they disagree with you. PB is a broad church and I often get more criticism from people who are "on the same side" but as long as people are not rude or offensive (as someone from Cheshire was day in and day out) you are as essential a member of this community as anyone else.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@TheLastBoyScout if you disagree, stand and argue your corner. In the past we have had posters praising North Korea's juche and posters supporting the BNP. We have even had some praise Ed Miliband. All views should be engaged with.

Well said.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

If UKIP isn't second or better in the European elections the majority of post-election coverage will be about how badly they've done, false dawn, etc.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    DavidL said:

Not really: Der Spiegel likes to stir things. The German court had three choices about the ECB mandate - they could say yeah, no problem (which almost nobody expected), they could say no, you can't do that (as the AfD hoped), or they could punt the issue to the European Court of Justice. They opted for the third, a choice which was widely interpreted in Germany as wanting to send a warning shot without actually getting in the way. Nobody expects the ECJ to object to the ECB's mandate.

German polls show everyone much as they were at the last election, including the AfD:
    http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Where are the English council elections this year? You have so many different sets of council elections it gets very confusing for a simple Scot like me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2014

I'm curious to see the Portsmouth result.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

DavidL said:

Not really: Der Spiegel likes to stir things. The German court had three choices about the ECB mandate - they could say yeah, no problem (which almost nobody expected), they could say no, you can't do that (as the AfD hoped), or they could punt the issue to the European Court of Justice. They opted for the third, a choice which was widely interpreted in Germany as wanting to send a warning shot without actually getting in the way. Nobody expects the ECJ to object to the ECB's mandate.

German polls show everyone much as they were at the last election, including the AfD:

Anyone using AEP as a guide to how markets' will react (on almost any issue) would have lost a fortune. Eurozone stock and bond markets rallied sharply on the decision to refer to the ECJ.
  • Options
    Concerned to see people on left and right talking of sloping off because they've seen some dodgy posts. Please don't! - the reason the forum is fun is because it brings together a wide spectrum.

On topic: the betting reflects the belief that people haven't much thought to the Euros but when they come to it many will swing to UKIP in order to give Europe a slap. I think the media will play that up (for drama, and in some cases to set UKIP up for a fall) and it might happen. But at present I do expect Labour to win them, partly because the party is treating them more seriously this time. The Conservatives would need to gain more than 10 points in a few months on the ICM poll (which probably understates losses to UKIP for methodological reasons) - possible but seems unlikely.
  • Options
    The polling/betting disconnect may be a function of likelihood to vote. I think Mike pointed out recently that quite some share of the UKIP vote was from those who previously did not vote. There’s a chunk of the electorate that are basically angry and fed up with the self serving crappiness of our political class. (and the floods won’t have helped that much).
    The polls may not be factoring in the right number of people who will get off their arses for the first time to express their frustration.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Someone made a post a year or so ago explaining very clearly why Labour would win the European elections. They can monopolise the left in a way neither UKIP or the Tories can do on the right. UKIP should be aiming for beating the Tories again. If they do that, it'll be a good result and if they don't it'll be a bad one.
  • Options
    I would expect Labour to be in the low 30s, and UKIP in the high 20s. I think quite a lot of BOO Conservatives will vote UKIP on the day to make sure their voice is heard.

To me, the real battle is the battle for fourth. Will the pesky Greens beat the yellow peril?
  • Options

Concerned to see people on left and right talking of sloping off because they've seen some dodgy posts. Please don't! - the reason the forum is fun is because it brings together a wide spectrum.

Bring back the Bangkok One and the Mersey Farmer!

Come on OGH. Or is is it them staying away themselves?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Swiss referendum is by far the most interesting development. The Swiss Parliament now has three years to pass legislation that reflects the vote. For different reasons UKIP and Mr Cameron may hope the country's MPs take every day of that time. Once it has been done, we'll get a very good idea on where the EU stands on negotiating with countries that want to pick and mix on fundamental EU principles like free movement of people.

• Options
    More important than all this shit, La Figaro is carrying a story about the alleged Barack Obama / Beyonce affair:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/2014/02/10/03004-20140210ARTFIG00155-un-celebre-paparazzi-francais-promet-un-scoop-mondial-sur-barack-obama-et-beyonce.php
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Good morning, everyone.

If UKIP isn't second or better in the European elections the majority of post-election coverage will be about how badly they've done, false dawn, etc.

You'd like that?
  • Options
    Mr. K, I'm planning on voting UKIP at the next European elections. I'd prefer Labour to be third or lower.
  • Options

The last thing you should do is leave. You always present your opinion in a polite, matter of fact manner which should not offend anyone, no matter how much they disagree with you. PB is a broad church and I often get more criticism from people who are "on the same side" but as long as people are not rude or offensive (as someone from Cheshire was day in and day out) you are as essential a member of this community as anyone else.
    Thank you @Easterross @Antifrank and @NickPalmer

You are right of course - I will stick around. My apologies.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    SeanT seems to be having a 'good' time in Bangkok:

twitter.com/thomasknox/status/432471776333807616/photo/1
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

More important than all this shit, La Figaro is carrying a story about the alleged Barack Obama / Beyonce affair:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/2014/02/10/03004-20140210ARTFIG00155-un-celebre-paparazzi-francais-promet-un-scoop-mondial-sur-barack-obama-et-beyonce.php

Mon dieu!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Mr. K, I'm planning on voting UKIP at the next European elections. I'd prefer Labour to be third or lower.

Well done.

• Options
    The idea of UKIP coming third in a European Parliament election - the ultimate inconsequential protest vote - is far fetched. But if it happened the danger is that it would be UKIP's Darlington by-election - the moment it became evident that party never reached the peaks that it thought it would and the New Jerusalem was a chimera.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT seems to be having a 'good' time in Bangkok:

twitter.com/thomasknox/status/432471776333807616/photo/1

I have noticed that Tim/SeanT is a bit of a legend on here. When with this demigod return?
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    I'm an on-the-fence-guy about Europe, but the 'we will lose three million jobs if we leave the EU' sounds a prediction that could only come from Blanchflower on an an acid trip.
  • Options
    I have noticed that Tim/SeanT is a bit of a legend on here. When will this demigod return?
  • Options
    Well done? Mr. K, I'm reminded of when Martin Clunes said that to a woman he'd just slept with in Men Behaving Badly.
  • Options
    I think the floods are going to drown the hopes of the Tory party at the GE.
    It's wall to wall bad coverage, and that will surely feed the narrative that Cameron is, well, just not very good, and that his government is incompetent.
    The Mail are launching a petition to get Foreign Aid money diverted back to British flood victims, and given that there's more bad weather forecasted, the coverage can only get worse.

I have sympathy for the government, as its been raining cats'n'dogs for ages, successive governments have fumbled the ball, and houses get built on floodplains, but the music has stopped on this government's watch, and there ain't any chairs left.
    It's going to take some serious PR magic to turn this around, but I don't think they'll manage it.
  • Options

I think the floods are going to drown the hopes of the Tory party at the GE.
    It's wall to wall bad coverage, and that will surely feed the narrative that Cameron is, well, just not very good, and that his government is incompetent.
    The Mail are launching a petition to get Foreign Aid money diverted back to British flood victims, and given that there's more bad weather forecasted, the coverage can only get worse.

I have sympathy for the government, as its been raining cats'n'dogs for ages, successive governments have fumbled the ball, and houses get built on floodplains, but the music has stopped on this government's watch, and there ain't any chairs left.
    It's going to take some serious PR magic to turn this around, but I don't think they'll manage it.

I thought the same about the petrol protests in 2000, and the then-government's epic mishandling of the foot and mouth crisis, which was ongoing during the 2001 GE campaign.

Neither seems to have had much effect at the GE. This flooding 'crisis' is tiny compared to the £8 billion F&M cost the country.
  • Options
    Mr. Stopper, the immense and prolonged nature of the rain probably helps rather than hinders the Government. If it had been a single deluge and then nothing happened for weeks it might be different, but the Government can't wave a magic wand and make the water disappear overnight. Things can be done, but there's a huge quantity of water on saturated, low-lying ground. At this stage there's a limit as to what can be done.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr K,

I've voted in every election since 1970 (and most council elections), and it's always been Labour or LD.

In the Euros, I will vote Ukip.

Why? Cameron is presentable but he's still a Tory. Cleggy will never see any problem with the EU even if they invade. Ed is an L-plate leader; he might grow into the job, but he might not. And beginners always give in to vested interests. So it's the fruitcakes for me this time.

Will my head explode?
  • Options

Even better, you'd prefer the Government to ban it, and try the Labour front bench for high treason, child abuse and cruelty to animals. Come on, admit it...

• Options

I thought the same about the petrol protests in 2000, and the then-government's epic mishandling of the foot and mouth crisis, which was ongoing during the 2001 GE campaign.

Neither seems to have had much effect at the GE. This flooding 'crisis' is tiny compared to the £8 billion F&M cost the country.

Going further back, with the great storm of 1987, there were many who thought that God had finally woken up to the evils of Thatcherism and had doomed the regime by punishing the very people who (it was felt) had most benefited from it.
  • Options

Mr. Stopper, the immense and prolonged nature of the rain probably helps rather than hinders the Government. If it had been a single deluge and then nothing happened for weeks it might be different, but the Government can't wave a magic wand and make the water disappear overnight. Things can be done, but there's a huge quantity of water on saturated, low-lying ground. At this stage there's a limit as to what can be done.

I agree entirely, but, houses damaged by floodwater take about 6 months to get back to the stage where residents can move back in, taking into account drying time, replastering, new floors, decorating and the like, and Sky News will be with them every step of the way.

The biggest problem for the government is how they've conducted themselves. They have no control over the weather, but they can control their behaviour. Sadly, they seemed a little too keen to start blaming each other, and residents who'd had the temerity to actually live in places that flood. It doesn't look good, when they're fighting like ferrets in a sack.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited February 2014
    Mr. Abroad, what a scurrilous slur on my character! You bounder, you cad, you rogue!

I merely want to fire one or two (or several) of them into the heart of the sun from some sort of giant cannon. Isn't that what we all want, really?
  • Options

Agreed, It's the aftermath that is really going to matter. If the government mishandles that it could be a problem. But you can bet your bottom dollar that the government knows this too, so that is unlikely. In any case, as awful as the pictures are and as horrible as it is for those affected, the reality is that the vast majority of us are watching this, not experiencing it; so bar an absolute balls-up it's hard to see how that many votes are going to shift one way or another.

Undoubtedly, though, we are going to hear some very unpleasant insurance stories over the coming months. This may play into the predatory capitalism meme.

• Options
    OT

It's a difficult call. Labour have made a habit of underperforming badly against expectations in Euro elections ever since PR was introduced. Blair could only get 29% in 1999 when still popular and Labour went downhill from there. I still can't see Labour matching 29% now. UKIP have on the other hand exceeded expectations and this 20% is the worst poll we've seen for them, so it may not be typical and ICM's methodology may be beyond that. So it's a tough call, but I'd still see UKIP shaving it from Labour at this stage.
  • Options
    behind that not beyond that
  • Options
    Company news:

Barclays increased its bonus pool for 2013 by 10% to £2.4bn, while pre-tax profits fell a third to £5.2bn.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

A note on turn-out: there are local elections in London in May (which there weren't in '09).

OGH's point is important: the national vote share and the number of seats won may fit poorly if turn-out varies much from one region to another (we tend to think of it as a national phenomenon usually).

I wonder how much has been placed in bets on this market, and whether or not UKIP supporters are not disproportionately responsible for its shape.

I think the impact of local elections, on the same day, on turnout will be marginal. London's local election turnout in 2006 was 38%, the same as in the last Mayoral election. In the Euro elections of 2009, London's turnout, without local elections, was 33%.

Overall, in 2009, turnout in the Euros was 34%, very little different from standard turnout in local elections. The people who turn out to vote in secondary elections will mostly turn out this time, whether or not there are local elections in their area.
  • Options
    "I thought the same about the petrol protests in 2000, and the then-government's epic mishandling of the foot and mouth crisis, which was ongoing during the 2001 GE campaign."

The petrol protestors vastly overplayed their hand and ended up losing just about all the support they had when it turned out they were really just another vested interest that had no problem in disrupting everyone else in order to get what they wanted. They were no better than the RMT or the NUT. Foot & Mouth was something that was happening "elsewhere" and that most people had no real idea about.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Anyone using AEP as a guide to how markets' will react (on almost any issue) would have lost a fortune. Eurozone stock and bond markets rallied sharply on the decision to refer to the ECJ.
    That was my immediate reaction too: they were passing the question to the man from delmonte. But Der Spiegal is maintaining it is not as simple as that. The ECJ need to find good reasons for saying yes, credible reasons within the legalistic structure of the EU. That could be tricky, mainly because of safeguards that the Germans wanted put in against the wishes of everyone else.

At the very least this seems yet another area of uncertainty hanging over the EZ, something neither they nor we need.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I would expect Labour to be in the low 30s, and UKIP in the high 20s. I think quite a lot of BOO Conservatives will vote UKIP on the day to make sure their voice is heard.

To me, the real battle is the battle for fourth. Will the pesky Greens beat the yellow peril?

My best guess is that Labour and UKIP will finish within 2-3% of each other. Labour got a national equivalent vote share of 29% last year. I can't see them topping that in a multi-party contest.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

Company news:

Barclays increased its bonus pool for 2013 by 10% to £2.4bn, while pre-tax profits fell a third to £5.2bn.

Barclays cutting 7.000 UK jobs this year - BBC News

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Company news:

There has never been a better time to be in the top 1% of earners.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    @JosiasJessop

The "three million jobs" argument is based on the view that all our exports to the EU cease, and we lose every job from that, yet all our imports from the EU continue, and also that trade from elsewhere does not increase due to our ability to sign other trade deals. It's a lie worthy of Fox News, and the fact Nick Clegg is willing to use it again and again really goes straight to the heart of his reputation as being an honest straight talker.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles should use Queen tracks for Nighthawks tonight:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26121239
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    rcs1000 said:

Company news:

Excellent - nice to see a British company doing well.
  • Options
    Mr. Socrates, it's a clever/misleading to the point of deceit use of the words 'at risk'. It's technically true but, as you say, for all those jobs to be lost would require something that's quite incredible to occur.

The equivalent would be asserting that every single smoker in the UK might get lung cancer and die this year.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Company news:

I'm sure we'll all be happy that 45% of that is coming back to the country in income tax...
  • Options

Going further back, with the great storm of 1987, there were many who thought that God had finally woken up to the evils of Thatcherism and had doomed the regime by punishing the very people who (it was felt) had most benefited from it.
    I even heard a sermon to that effect, from a vicar who was a supporter of Militant.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Company news:

I'm sure we'll all be happy that 45% of that is coming back to the country in income tax...
    Fortunately for higher earners, UKIP is planning to cut income tax rates almost in half, which means that the 1% will be almost 50% better off.

• Options
    Socrates said:

@JosiasJessop

The "three million jobs" argument is based on the view that all our exports to the EU cease, and we lose every job from that, yet all our imports from the EU continue, and also that trade from elsewhere does not increase due to our ability to sign other trade deals. It's a lie worthy of Fox News, and the fact Nick Clegg is willing to use it again and again really goes straight to the heart of his reputation as being an honest straight talker.

TBH, I think you are overthinking it.

The 3 million jobs figure was plucked out of mid air.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

That was my immediate reaction too: they were passing the question to the man from delmonte. But Der Spiegal is maintaining it is not as simple as that. The ECJ need to find good reasons for saying yes, credible reasons within the legalistic structure of the EU. That could be tricky, mainly because of safeguards that the Germans wanted put in against the wishes of everyone else.

At the very least this seems yet another area of uncertainty hanging over the EZ, something neither they nor we need.
    That's not quite true. The German constitutional court even told the ECJ how they could approve the OMT - specifically they said it would be compatible with German law "if the OMT decision were interpreted restrictively".

We shall see - but don't forget this also kicks the can down the road for a couple of years. Given that everywhere - except France - in the Eurozone is improving, then if the OMT is ruled unconstitutional in late 2016, it may all be moot.
  • Options
    Hmm. My guess is that the winter rainfall records will be broken by the weekend, nearly two weeks before the end of the season. The word is that the Thames will be higher next week then it is now. Presumably that's the news schedules filled for the next ten days or so.

I'm not sure how the public are going to react to this long-running situation becoming worse again, before it starts improving.
  • Options
    I think there is a big underlying problem with much of the ‘green’ policy making here and around the world - people listen to the scientists and fail to think for themselves.

If AGW is a fact – and let us for the sake of argument assume that it is – then what policy response is best? Well that’s a political / economic decision. It’s not for the scientists to say.

If I wanted to know more about the effect of sunspots, CO2, deforestation, or whatever on rainfall and temperatures – well I wouldn’t ask a politician, I’d ask someone who knew WTF they were talking about – the scientists.

But if we want to ask what policy to adopt in the face of the facts then we shouldn’t ask the scientists – it’s not their area of competence. The greens will always give a ‘back to the stone age’ kneejerk response. It’s this BS that now drives our energy policy, wind subsidies, flood plans (or lack of), and a whole bunch of other policy areas. We need rational economic decisions to drive policy.

Should we not instead be asking ourselves: Well, looks like it’s going to rain more and storm surges will become more common – should we not defend ourselves from the consequences? We can’t stop this as the trajectory of climate change is utterly outside the ability of UK or indeed global politicians to determine. (Just look at the environmental disasters China is willing to accept in its journey to power and the scale of their CO2 output vs our own). We should simply accept the fact that we’re in for some storms and rain and get busy adjusting our lives, our infrastructure, and our expectations. Including the expectation that the state is sometimes impotent.
  • Options

I'm not sure how the public are going to react to this long-running situation becoming worse again, before it starts improving.

Oh I think we know how....

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/mail-demands-foreign-aid-to-be-spent-on-replacing-british-carpets-2014021183451

"In a hard-hitting editorial the paper said that British carpets must always come first and that most foreign aid was used to build Chinese spaceships.

Meanwhile, the Mail underlined the horrifying extent of Britain’s humanitarian crisis by illustrating its story with a photo of a moist BMW."
  • Options

"I thought the same about the petrol protests in 2000, and the then-government's epic mishandling of the foot and mouth crisis, which was ongoing during the 2001 GE campaign."

The petrol protestors vastly overplayed their hand and ended up losing just about all the support they had when it turned out they were really just another vested interest that had no problem in disrupting everyone else in order to get what they wanted. They were no better than the RMT or the NUT. Foot & Mouth was something that was happening "elsewhere" and that most people had no real idea about.

I agree about the petrol crisis: I was annoyed about it, but many of my colleagues were actively backing them. There was a rich source of discontent.

Your comment about F&M highlights the sad lack of understanding and knowledge that so many people have for the countryside. Which is why that little fool (*) Lord Smith will get away with his recent comments about flooding the countryside rather than towns.

(*) I really want to put it much stronger than that. How the f' did such an incompetent fool become a) a Lord, and b) in (part-time) chair of such an important agency?

Grrr ...
  • Options

Mr. Eagles should use Queen tracks for Nighthawks tonight:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26121239

Less than month ago I did a Queen themed nighthawks.

I guess as usual my musical references were just to damn subtle for PBers to notice

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/01/15/pb-nighthawks-is-now-open-30/

I think tonight's will be One Direction themed
  • Options
    On topic if UKIP do finish third then the other profitable bet has to be then picking up zero MPs in 2015.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I recall that, but I still think another Queen-theme is suitable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    edited February 2014

There is a certain house style at pb.com that can take a little while to navigate around. It also has quite a lot of back history that is frequently referenced by those in the know.

This history can often be tracked back through posters who have been commenting for a number of general elections, and indeed, quite a few who go as far back as Jacobitism and even to the Punic Wars....

It also has a number of people who have no interest in betting on politics, but like to vent their two-penneth, which can be revealing to those who do bet. There is also a fair bit of expertise on sports (tennis and F1 have shared some profitable tips in the past, football more recently - horse-racing less so!!) and for example Roger on the Oscars.

There is also a bizarre wealth of expertise here in the most esoteric of matters, so if you need a restaurant recommendation in Gabon, for example, someone will put you right.

Do stick around. You'll get the hang of it. Just don't expect it to be 100% current politics. Or 100% serious. Somewhere nearer to 14% is about par....
  • Options

I agree about the petrol crisis: I was annoyed about it, but many of my colleagues were actively backing them. There was a rich source of discontent.

Your comment about F&M highlights the sad lack of understanding and knowledge that so many people have for the countryside. Which is why that little fool (*) Lord Smith will get away with his recent comments about flooding the countryside rather than towns.

(*) I really want to put it much stronger than that. How the f' did such an incompetent fool become a) a Lord, and b) in (part-time) chair of such an important agency?

Grrr ...

It's true - most townies do not understand the countryside. But then most country dwellers are not known for their in-depth knowledge of cities. It was ever thus.

As for Lord Smith - I do not know what he said, but overall the coverage on the politics of recent events does seem to have relied on partial reporting, selective use of figures and quotes taken out of context. Again, it was ever thus.

• Options
    Hmm. Trying to decide on a series name for Sir Edric. I was going to go for Sir Edric's Misadventures, but might go for Sir Edric's Escapades instead. Hmm. The agony of choice.
  • Options
    Brogan on floods:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benedictbrogan/100259034/uk-floods-eric-pickles-gets-it-in-the-neck-from-david-cameron/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Personally don't think the public is inclined to change voting intention over the issue - they'll just vaguely blame everyone in sight and move on.

On another subject, I'm not a zealot on abortion rights and voted for some restrictions, but this is a dreadul story which really calls for swift government action rather than "no comment". Even the woman making the claims looks embarrassed as she reads from the script.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10621459/Abortion-will-make-women-child-sex-abusers.html
    TGOHF said:

rcs1000 said:

Company news:

Excellent - nice to see a British company doing well.
    If profits falling by a third is good, I'd hate to work for a company that you felt was doing badly.

• Options

There is a certain house style at pb.com that can take a little while to navigate around. It also has quite a lot of back history that is frequently referenced by those in the know.

This history can often be tracked back through posters who have been commenting for a number of general elections, and indeed, quite a few who go as far back as Jacobitism and even to the Punic Wars....

It also has a number of people who have no interest in betting on politics, but like to vent their two-penneth, which can be revealing to those who do bet. There is also a fair bit of expertise on sports (tennis and F1 have shared some profitable tips in the past, football more recently - horse-racing less so!!) and for example Roger on the Oscars.

There is also a bizarre wealth of expertise here in the most esoteric of matters, so if you need a restaurant recommendation in Gabon, for example, someone will put you right.

Do stick around. You'll get the hang of it. Just don't expect it to be 100% current politics. Or 100% serious. Somewhere nearer to 14% is about par....

Bollocks.

It's 26%.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

TBH, I think you are overthinking it.

The 3 million jobs figure was plucked out of mid air.

Quite so. It is a level of scare-mongering that makes you think they have no valid counter-arguements to make to justify membership of the EU. It is a level of scare-mongering so ridiculous in its distance from reality that it makes you want to slap the offending pillock with a genetically-engineered enormo-haddock.

On the plus side, losing 3 million jobs would finally put Blanchflower in the ball-park of being right about unemployment levels!
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Turnout key.

UKIP's ranks of ex-Tory old duffers will probably turn out, angrily etching their cross into the ballot paper as if it's the face of an immigrant or A Gay.

My word you're an angry hated filled specimen today (or every day?) Hugh.
  • Options

Bollocks.

It's 26%.

It's 26% on the days you don't post....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,922
    Well well well

I wrote almost exactly what Mike has said in this thread header last night when the poll came out, and no one agreed with me!

• Options
    isam said:

Well well well

I wrote almost exactly what Mike has said in this thread header last night when the poll came out, and no one agreed with me!

I did.

And bet accordingly.
  • Options

Hmm. Trying to decide on a series name for Sir Edric. I was going to go for Sir Edric's Misadventures, but might go for Sir Edric's Escapades instead. Hmm. The agony of choice.

Alliteration is always appealing - eg Marilyn Monroe - but Misadventures is a more intriguing description than Escapades to my ear.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

The polling/betting disconnect may be a function of likelihood to vote. I think Mike pointed out recently that quite some share of the UKIP vote was from those who previously did not vote. There’s a chunk of the electorate that are basically angry and fed up with the self serving crappiness of our political class. (and the floods won’t have helped that much).
    The polls may not be factoring in the right number of people who will get off their arses for the first time to express their frustration.

if the polling breakdown on where UKIPs current support has come from is right then Mike was overstating the share that comes from others or DNV. It is about 13% on average, although will be higher in areas where UKIP do well.

What that means is that there is a higher level of support for ukip from voters who have switched from Tory Labour and LD, and therefore the ukip vote is probably less flaky than people like to admit
  • Options

Bollocks.

It's 26%.

It's 26% on the days you don't post....
    Oh come on now..that unfair to SO, who's one of the more reasonable lefties on the site.

Can't we all play together nicely now?
  • Options

isam said:

Well well well

I did.

And bet accordingly.

Oh fair enough! Good luck
  • Options

If profits falling by a third is good, I'd hate to work for a company that you felt was doing badly.

"However, statutory profits, which include exceptional items such as litigation charges, rose to £2.9bn from £797m in 2012."

• Options

Oh come on now..that unfair to SO, who's one of the more reasonable lefties on the site.

Can't we all play together nicely now?

Don't be so damned po-faced! It was too good an opportunity - the ball sat up so nicely, who wouldn't have cracked it through the covers for four?

SO has no problem sending a few beamers down in reply!

This discussion has been closed.