Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

SLAB can surely win this one back? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

The damaged Russian ship is a RORO landing ship, originally built in Poland.
    Toad class.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ropucha-class_landing_ship

Will not be doing much RORO in near future if ever again.
    Roll on, roll over?
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780

The First Minister faces a collapse in SNP support in the Rutherglen & Hamilton West byelection, which is expected to be confirmed next week.

The SNP has lost only one other parliamentary byelection in its 89-year history.

Activists report “embarrassment” at being asked to promote the party on the doorstep given its financial problems, including a police probe, and lack of progress on independence.

One councillor admitted they could not “in good conscience” ask people to vote for the SNP at the present time.

Labour sources also report the SNP vote is “very soft” with an unusually high proportion of former SNP voters now describing themselves as don’t knows - an ominous sign for the Nationalists.….

An SNP source estimated the party would be lucky to get 25% in a byelection.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23687670.humza-yousaf-faces-byelection-thumping-snp-support-evaporates/

Looks like the expectation management has started then.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    If this is accurate it shows how rapidly Ukraine is iterating its naval drones. War is still the mother of invention.

REMOTE SEA CONTROL: UKR sources confirm that a Russian amphibious ship, the Olenegorsky Gornyak, was severely damaged by a naval drone during a Ukrainian attack on the RU port of Novorossiysk.

https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/1687483411508670464?s=20

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Toad class.

Roll on, roll over?
    Definitely roll off, at least, given the angle of list.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    edited August 2023
    AlistairM said:

If this is accurate it shows how rapidly Ukraine is iterating its naval drones. War is still the mother of invention.

REMOTE SEA CONTROL: UKR sources confirm that a Russian amphibious ship, the Olenegorsky Gornyak, was severely damaged by a naval drone during a Ukrainian attack on the RU port of Novorossiysk.

Nothing ever changes

The original Whitehead torpedo was an evolution of an idea by an Austro-Hungarian naval officers for a weapon. A motorboat guided by pulling cables linked to the steering, with a pistol (literal) in the bow. Rigged to fire the charge when hit.

Whitehead was the foremost engineer in the service of Austro-Hungary and got asked to take a look at the model prototype. He realised that running underwater made the weapon invulnerable. He then, almost accidentally, solved the problem tahat had stopped other people doing that - depth keeping.

And created a business empire on the profits. Also created The Sound of Music

The name pistol survived as the name for the trigger mechanism.

Wouldn't surprise me if the next stage in the evolution of this, is ballast tanks to dive the boat on approach to the target.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750
    Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Suceava Romania (which isn’t in a war) looks much uglier, scruffier and more desperate than Chernivtsi, Ukraine (which IS)

I thought Romania was a beautiful country scarred by ugly towns and uglier cities. Bucharesti is horrible, Cluj Napoca has pockets of pretty inside otherwise horrible, Alba Iulia has that amazing citadel but the rest is similar. I think its the endless brutalist architecture and festoons of wires.

Which is a pity as I found Romanian people to be warm, welcoming and funny. And even they thought their towns were awful.
    Yeah, this is one fucking toilet of a town. West Ukraine is exquisite in comparison. Ceaucescu really did a job on his own country

Talking of toilets this bar I am in (3 hour wait for the train to Bacau) has a squatter toilet. Surely one of the last in Europe? Has anyone else seen one recently?

Still in quite a few of the small rest stops (Aire de ...) on the French autoroutes.
    Big fan of squat toilets, much more physiological a position.
    Good for the core muscles, but they do tend to be in a disgusting state of non cleanliness.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Toad class.

Roll on, roll over?
    I haven't seen a ship at an angle like that since the last time I took a CalMac ferry to the Hebrides.

AlistairM said:

Nothing ever changes

The original Whitehead torpedo was an evolution of an idea by an Austro-Hungarian naval officers for a weapon. A motorboat guided by pulling cables linked to the steering, with a pistol (literal) in the bow. Rigged to fire the charge when hit.

Whitehead was the foremost engineer in the service of Austro-Hungary and got asked to take a look at the model prototype. He realised that running underwater made the weapon invulnerable. He then, almost accidentally, solved the problem tahat had stopped other people doing that - depth keeping.

Wouldn't surprise me if the next stage in the evolution of this, is ballast tanks to dive the boat on approach to the target.
    Ukraine already has submersible drones in development.
    https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/05/innovative-submarine-drone-is-ukraines-new-weapon-against-russian-navy/

Turkey is also keen.
    https://www.navalnews.com/event-news/idef-2023/2023/07/idef-2023-havelsan-unveils-caka-s-kusv-kamikaze-drone/
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Suceava Romania (which isn’t in a war) looks much uglier, scruffier and more desperate than Chernivtsi, Ukraine (which IS)

I thought Romania was a beautiful country scarred by ugly towns and uglier cities. Bucharesti is horrible, Cluj Napoca has pockets of pretty inside otherwise horrible, Alba Iulia has that amazing citadel but the rest is similar. I think its the endless brutalist architecture and festoons of wires.

Which is a pity as I found Romanian people to be warm, welcoming and funny. And even they thought their towns were awful.
    Yeah, this is one fucking toilet of a town. West Ukraine is exquisite in comparison. Ceaucescu really did a job on his own country

Talking of toilets this bar I am in (3 hour wait for the train to Bacau) has a squatter toilet. Surely one of the last in Europe? Has anyone else seen one recently?

Still in quite a few of the small rest stops (Aire de ...) on the French autoroutes.
    Good for the core muscles, but they do tend to be in a disgusting state of non cleanliness.
    I have never recovered from the SQUATTER TOILET at the CARPET FACTORY IN
    AZERBAIJAN in about 1993

Imagine a single squatter toilet used by 300 factory workers - and never cleaned

It honestly makes me shudder even now
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, but apart from the soles of your shoes nothing is in contact.
  • Eabhal said:

I've just found the perfect way to sabotage this thread: and it's CYCLISTS!

On my way back from the supermarket, a pepparami in lycra was following a bus very closely. Too closely, in fact, as when the bus stopped at a bus stop, he smacked into the back of it. Fortunately he managed to break to a low speed, and though he fell off, both he and the bike seem okay. The bus driver did not seem to notice and just went off from the stop a minute later.

Anyway, my good deed for the day year done. :)

It's so fun cycling behind buses (except for the diesel fumes). You get sucked along.

But don't get too close.
    If only the London (UK built) hybrid double decker had been continued - it was designed to be evolved into a full electric vehicle when batteries became cheap enough.
    Electric bus seen in Ilford!

Sums up modern Britain. Percy Ingles boarded up in front of the bus; Wilko gone bust behind the bus.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited August 2023

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Toad class.

Roll on, roll over?
    I haven't seen a ship at an angle like that since the last time I took a CalMac ferry to the Hebrides.
    Was it the old minesweeper that did the Small Isles? Boy, that did roll, but it was generic to that type. My Dad was in the Navy for years and the worst he was ever seasick was on the Ton class boats out of Granton for his week or two a year reserve duty in the Firth of Forth after he'd swallowed the anchor.
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OK if you are in a midi skirt or kilt - else how does onw stop the trousers from getting emmerde?
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s always pious left wing Remainery Woke types like you that say “oh actually squatter toilets are really good for you”

YES

ANOTHER FRONT IN THE CULTURE WARS SUCCESSFULLY OPENED

The Remainers want to make you squat as you poo like the disgusting French and the even worse Romanians

AlistairM said:

Nothing ever changes

If you go to the Isle of Wight and look at Fort Victoria a little west of Yarmouth, there's a ramp going into the sea. That was for the wire guided drones of the day, the Brennan 'torpedoes', in service in the mid-1880s. Mostly inderwater except for a little flag.
    Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

Nothing ever changes

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/05/innovative-submarine-drone-is-ukraines-new-weapon-against-russian-navy/

Turkey is also keen.
    https://www.navalnews.com/event-news/idef-2023/2023/07/idef-2023-havelsan-unveils-caka-s-kusv-kamikaze-drone/
    The Japanese Kaiten say hi

More to the point - they are heading back to the USSR T-15 project. A long range torpedo to deliver (in that case) nuclear weapons. A sort of torpedo version of a nuclear missile in terms of range.

IIRC the US Navy had a project to build a version of the Mk-48 torpedo with ultra long range at low speed, that could act as a drone.
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s always pious left wing Remainery Woke types like you that say “oh actually squatter toilets are really good for you”

YES

The Remainers want to make you squat as you poo like the disgusting French and the even worse Romanians
    How did you manage when you went camping with the patriotic Boy Scouts, or rather Scouts given your likely age?
    Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Nothing ever changes

If you go to the Isle of Wight and look at Fort Victoria a little west of Yarmouth, there's a ramp going into the sea. That was for the wire guided drones of the day, the Brennan 'torpedoes', in service in the mid-1880s. Mostly inderwater except for a little flag.
    Arguably better than the early Whiteheads for that specific task.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,848

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Toad class.

Roll on, roll over?
    Are there ferries in Scotland?!

I thought they were a myth!

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

On topic, this byelection is more a question of "can the SNP hold it" than "can Labour win it".

If the SNP are to recede as quickly as they swept in, it won't just be Labour who benefit. Yes they will be a lot of red seats, but potentially a couple of orange ones, and I would expect the Tories to do better defending seats up here than they do in England.

Big test - is the future prospect of independence SNP-style a big enough pull to keep their voters on board despite all of the other scandals?

If the SNP tide does recede (and I while I can see them slipping to 25 or 30 seats, I don't think they'll slip much below that), then it will be almost entirely Labour who benefits*. Other than Mid Dunbartonshire (which contains all of Jo Swinson's old seat), I don't really see any other possible LD pickups.

* The Conservatives will also make a couple of gains.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

YES

How did you manage when you went camping with the patriotic Boy Scouts, or rather Scouts given your likely age?
    What on earth makes you think I was in the Scouts?! Do I seem the type?

I had my first drink age 11 and I was pretty regular by 14-15, and doing drugs by 16-17

No, I was not in “the Scouts”

Nigelb said:

Possible straw in the wind for Trump, with slightly underwhelming numbers in Iowa.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/04/trump-polls-2024-desantis-00109825

I wouldn't read much into that. It's still a commanding lead and he lost the Iowa caucus to Ted Cruz in 2015.
    My view is that Trump will likely win Iowa handsomely.

The question for him is really what the opposition looks like after that. If Trump gets 55%, and his opposition is split between a dozen candidates, then he is home and dry.

On the other hand, if it is Trump 55%, and Haley or Christie (or even DeSantis) on 30%, then the contest is very different.

The NYTimes polling on this is excellent. 37% of Republicans love Trump. 25% dislike him.

And then there's the final 37% who are big fans of the former President, but who think the Republicans are more likely to win the White House if someone else is the nominee.

That's a very narrow path for an alternative to Trump to walk down. And a couple of blow out wins for him Iowa and New Hampshire with no obvious challenger would close it completely. But at the same time, if there's only one challenger to Trump after Iowa and NH, then the race becomes a lot more interesting.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited August 2023
    Mother and daughter found guilty of murder. Must be unusual.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-66165180

"TikTok influencer Mahek Bukhari guilty of murdering men in crash
    A social media influencer and her mother have been found guilty of murdering two men who died when their car was rammed off the road. Saqib Hussain and Hashim Ijazuddin, both 21, from Oxfordshire, died on the A46 near Leicester in February 2022. It followed a dispute over an affair between Mr Hussain and Ansreen Bukhari. Mrs Bukhari, 46, her influencer daughter Mahek Bukhari, 24, and two others were convicted of murder by a jury at Leicester Crown Court."
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

YES

I had my first drink age 11 and I was pretty regular by 14-15, and doing drugs by 16-17

Oh, I just thought that inspiration by Baden-Powell's book seemed the right background for exploring the worldand with your lucky old Union Jack woggle tucked carefully away in your wallet. But other routes are, as you say, available.
  • Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

Nothing ever changes

Turkey is also keen.
    The Long Lance also says Konichi-wa.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_93_torpedo

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Toad class.

Roll on, roll over?
    Every ship gets the chance to play submarine. Mostly, once.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

YES

I think you have a charmingly naiive view of what people who are in the scouts get up to.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    rcs1000 said:

On topic, this byelection is more a question of "can the SNP hold it" than "can Labour win it".

If the SNP are to recede as quickly as they swept in, it won't just be Labour who benefit. Yes they will be a lot of red seats, but potentially a couple of orange ones, and I would expect the Tories to do better defending seats up here than they do in England.

Big test - is the future prospect of independence SNP-style a big enough pull to keep their voters on board despite all of the other scandals?

If the SNP tide does recede (and I while I can see them slipping to 25 or 30 seats, I don't think they'll slip much below that), then it will be almost entirely Labour who benefits*. Other than Mid Dunbartonshire (which contains all of Jo Swinson's old seat), I don't really see any other possible LD pickups.

Even a couple of gains would be very useful for the Tories.

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

Nothing ever changes

Turkey is also keen.
    The Long Lance also says Konichi-wa.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_93_torpedo
    As does the Touring Motor Boat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT_explosive_motorboat
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    AlistairM said:

Given the number of decadent aesthetes, tech bros and high financiers that grace PB with their worldview every single [redacted] day, I am surprised that none of you drug-users thought of narco submarines/low-profile vessels. Here is a video explaining the five types:
    • LPV-IM - Low Profile Vessel with inboard motor
    • LPV-OM - Low Profile Vessel with outboard motor
    • LPV-OM-VSV - Low Profile Vessel with outboard motor, very slender vessel
    • LPV-IM-VSV - Low Profile Vessel with inboard motor, very slender vessel
    • FSV - Fully submersible vessel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR18qhnGEpM
    http://www.hisutton.com/Narco Subs 101.html

It is truly bizarre that impoverished, ugly, desperate Romania is in the EU and elegant, handsome, cultured west Ukraine is not

It really should be the other way round. Some peculiar anomaly of history
    Nigelb said:

Mr Christopher Christie...

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1687469428584144896
    I had a meeting with a member of the Republican Party, former Governor of New Jersey, Christopher Christie. And it is very important that Mr. Christie began his visit to Ukraine with a visit to Bucha to see with his own eyes the threat to freedom and to everyone in the world posed by Russian aggression.

I thanked all Americans, each and every one, for their vital support.

We are confident that we will end this Russian war against freedom with our victory – the victory of the free world, the victory of democracy, the victory of freedom.

Chris Christie: sound on Ukraine.

I know I sound like a broken record, and I know Christie's time in New Jersey ended poorly, but I think he could be a very well organized candidate. And that matters in Iowa where the caucuses mean that second choices and organization matter.

He is 140 on Betfair to be next US President. That is an absolute steal.
    viewcode said:

AlistairM said:

Given the number of decadent aesthetes, tech bros and high financiers that grace PB with their worldview every single [redacted] day, I am surprised that none of you drug-users thought of narco submarines/low-profile vessels. Here is a video explaining the five types:

Only some of us on PB. Others of us prefer the stuff in the photos here
    https://www.freightwaves.com/news/bulk-booze-by-sea-part-1-the-past
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The Italian site of the company I work for has squatter toilets.

The German site has the old lay and display ones.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AZERBAIJAN in about 1993

Imagine a single squatter toilet used by 300 factory workers - and never cleaned

Similar experience at a small road stop on the way to Izmir back in the 80s.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238
    rcs1000 said:

Inverness, Skye and West Rossshire is an outside chance of an LibDem gain, I'd think. It's former LibDem territory; the LibDems have Highland Council seats in much of the new constituency, including both Inverness and Fort William; and they seem to have picked a decent candidate.
    edited August 2023
    viewcode said:

AlistairM said:

From the same guy, here are some more details about Ukraine maritime drones

Text Videos
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I had a meeting with a member of the Republican Party, former Governor of New Jersey, Christopher Christie. And it is very important that Mr. Christie began his visit to Ukraine with a visit to Bucha to see with his own eyes the threat to freedom and to everyone in the world posed by Russian aggression.

We are confident that we will end this Russian war against freedom with our victory – the victory of the free world, the victory of democracy, the victory of freedom.

I know I sound like a broken record, and I know Christie's time in New Jersey ended poorly, but I think he could be a very well organized candidate. And that matters in Iowa where the caucuses mean that second choices and organization matter.

Indeed,I have a few quid on, but America is a crazy place and will go for Trum vs Biden.

American politics has jumped the shark.
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Unfortunately, the tide appears to be turning if this is right.

CNN Poll: Majority of Americans oppose more US aid for Ukraine in war with Russia

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/04/politics/cnn-poll-ukraine/index.html

Partisan divide, but Republicans and Independents opposing more funding, and a significant minority of Democrats too.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed,I have a few quid on, but America is a crazy place and will go for Trum vs Biden.

I'm on.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AZERBAIJAN in about 1993

These moments never leave you - genuinely

I also recall the squatter toilets at the shrine of St Simeon Stylites in Syria in about 1996, and the entire gents toilets section at Vladivostok Station in

Also a roadside thunderbox driving down to the bottom of the Copper Canyon, Mexico - circa 2000

I shall not go deeper into my top ten
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

AlistairM said:

Only some of us on PB. Others of us prefer the stuff in the photos here
    https://www.freightwaves.com/news/bulk-booze-by-sea-part-1-the-past
    That was...oddly interesting, thank you
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    How badly unionised are the baggage workers at Heathrow?

This might be the worst reclaim experience I've ever had. 45 minute wait for just a dribble of bags coming out, and then it stops again. Everyone still waiting.

Being told 40 minutes to 1 hour is "normal" this time of year. I don't think I've ever had it this bad in over 20 years.
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Even a couple of gains would be very useful for the Tories.
    How? The outcome in a couple of close Con/SNP contests will make absolutely no difference to whether the UK has a Government capable of commanding a majority in the Commons after the next general election. Both the Conservatives and SNP will do their best to bring that government down, because they won't be part of it.

This might be the worst reclaim experience I've ever had. 45 minute wait for just a dribble of bags coming out, and then it stops again. Everyone still waiting.

Being told 40 minutes to 1 hour is "normal" this time of year. I don't think I've ever had it this bad in over 20 years.

Free market innit. Workers don't like the real terms pay cuts. Where's this Brexit promise then?

Interesting that you chose "badly unionised" over "badly managed".

Do they have enough staff on shift, and are they properly trained, with enough service vehicles?
    Foxy said:

Do they have enough staff on shift, and are they properly trained, with enough service vehicles?
    Indeed. It also happens to be a Friday evening, in peak holiday period.
    Carnyx said:

Free market innit. Workers don't like the real terms pay cuts. Where's this Brexit promise then?
    Oh FFS, what's wrong with you people?

You'd blame a loose stool on Brexit.

Get a life mate.
    Foxy said:

There are very few staff and they are lazy and slovenly and disinterested in customers.

Unions.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Heathrow is run on the basis of get the cheapest workers you can, then treat them like shit. The slight problem is that the ones who can operate opposable thumbs have quit to drive for Amazon.

A friends husband worked in a factory making meals for the airlines there. A manager. He quit because, as he put it, he left Morocco to get away from that kind of shit. Totally un-automated, just pile in the cheap bodies.

He said everything at Heathrow was the same - massive addiction to cheap labour.
    The people who have really done well from the pandemic, were those who woke up to their job being rubbish, and moved on to something better.

Now the bad employers no longer have an unlimited pool of labour to work through, they need to sort themselves out.

Heathrow is run on the basis of get the cheapest workers you can, then treat them like shit. The slight problem is that the ones who can operate opposable thumbs have quit to drive for Amazon.

A friends husband worked in a factory making meals for the airlines there. A manager. He quit because, as he put it, he left Morocco to get away from that kind of shit. Totally un-automated, just pile in the cheap bodies.

He said everything at Heathrow was the same - massive addiction to cheap labour.
    Thanks. That's interesting.
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

I've never had this in 20 years. And it's worse than any reclaim experience I've ever had.

Awful.

Carnyx said:

Get a life mate.
    I didn't blame it on Brexit. I suggested that the workers hadn't had what they were promised. Differewnt.

As for loose stools - I usually blame them on too much bran cereal, or a dodgy strawberry, or a curry. Whereas you'd blame it on the nearest union.

Foxy said:

There are very few staff and they are lazy and slovenly and disinterested in customers.

Unions.
    Management.
    Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I'm on.
    The tv in my hideous Romanian bar just played a clip of trump after his court case

He made a - for him - quite articulate speech to camera about the state of DC that he’d personally witnessed being driven to the court. The broken roads, the homeless, the degradation

I can see tens of millions of Americans nodding along eagerly. Because he’s right

He has a real chance. Because of this

Biden looks like he doesn’t give a shit about American cities. Or, it is easy to paint him and the democrats that way
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

YES

Oh, I just thought that inspiration by Baden-Powell's book seemed the right background for exploring the worldand with your lucky old Union Jack woggle tucked carefully away in your wallet. But other routes are, as you say, available.
    The conversation about knives had quite a Scouty flavour.
    Almost everyone I've known who's carried a knife has been either a thug or an ex-Scout.
    (File playing soldiers at boarding school under the Scouts.)
    A very small number of exceptions have carried one for genuine self-defence reasons.

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

I've never had this in 20 years. And it's worse than any reclaim experience I've ever had.

Awful.
    45 minutes is not particularly unusual in big airports
    in peak season - british and elsewhere. It’s not “common”. You are unlucky. But not especially unlucky

This has been true for many years. And it has nothing to do with Brexit. My guess is that it is more acute this summer because everywhere is so busy. Travel is booming again
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,091
    Leon said:

I also recall the squatter toilets at the shrine of St Simeon Stylites in Syria in about 1996, and the entire gents toilets section at Vladivostok Station in

Also a roadside thunderbox driving down to the bottom of the Copper Canyon, Mexico - circa 2000

The great Japanese literary novelist Tanizaki Junichiro once wrote an essay on his most memorable toilet experiences. Somebody seems to have translated it into English here: https://www.scribd.com/document/87481649/Tanizaki-on-the-Privy

It starts out:
    "My most unforgettable impression of a privy, one that even now I recall from time to time, struck me when I went to the toilet at a noodle restaurant in thetown of Kami’ichi in the Yamato region."
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Awful.
    I was flying to Delhi and had paid for a premium baggage service at Delhi so my bags were guaranteed o be first found and brought out. Waited an hour and twenty going insane with anger. Eventually my bags were located, in a pile on the floor with other premium bags, away from the actual baggage reclaim. Wouldn’t have happened under the EIC.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AZERBAIJAN in about 1993

St Simeon Stylites is, I imagine, the patron saint of squatters.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172
    edited August 2023
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Get a life mate.
    I didn't blame it on Brexit. I suggested that the workers hadn't had what they were promised. Differewnt.

As for loose stools - I usually blame them on too much bran cereal, or a dodgy strawberry, or a curry. Whereas you'd blame it on the nearest union.
    Unionised loose stools: One out, all out.
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Unions.
    Management.
    Unions.
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Awful.
    I was flying to Delhi and had paid for a premium baggage service at Delhi so my bags were guaranteed o be first found and brought out. Waited an hour and twenty going insane with anger. Eventually my bags were located, in a pile on the floor with other premium bags, away from the actual baggage reclaim. Wouldn’t have happened under the EIC.
    Same. We had priority bags and paid for business class. Last off!
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    THE Scottish Government has failed in a bid to postpone a legal hearing with the UK Government over Westminster's decision to block controversial gender recognition reforms.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23701969.scottish-government-bid-postpone-gender-reform-court-hearing-fails/
    Hold baggage is very last century. Only drawback to cabin bag only is I spend the whole time fretting I have nothing to cut my nails with. Even when I am away for 4 days and virtually amputate my fingertips before leaving.
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I'm on.
    The tv in my hideous Romanian bar just played a clip of trump after his court case

He made a - for him - quite articulate speech to camera about the state of DC that he’d personally witnessed being driven to the court. The broken roads, the homeless, the degradation

I can see tens of millions of Americans nodding along eagerly. Because he’s right

Biden looks like he doesn’t give a shit about American cities. Or, it is easy to paint him and the democrats that way
    Trump didn't mention homelessness. He was articulate but he wasn't politicking. To get a handle on where he is coming from, refer to one of his fave books, "Memory, Dreams, Reflections" and what Jung writes in it about God and the cathedral.

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Unions.
    Management.
    Unions.
    Aren't you engaging rather in sole actor fallacy: the idea that only one entity is responsible?

The reality is that there are plenty of airports without unionized baggage handlers that are dreadful (mostly in the US), and there are some with unions (like Lyon in France or London City) where I have never had anything other than excellent experiences.

And, of course, the reverse is true.

In some places, there is good management and a decently sized labour pool, and the baggage handling is done very well. In others there is poor management, labour shortages and strong unions, and it is done very poorly.
    Peck said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I'm on.

Trump didn't mention homelessness. He was articulate but he wasn't politicking. To get a handle on where he is coming from, refer to one of his fave books, "Memory, Dreams, Reflections" and what Jung writes in it about God and the cathedral.
    The turd?

Are you on opioids, btw? You have that dissociated style

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Unions.
    Management.
    Unions.
    You'd like it in China.
    Miklosvar said:

Hold baggage is very last century. Only drawback to cabin bag only is I spend the whole time fretting I have nothing to cut my nails with. Even when I am away for 4 days and virtually amputate my fingertips before leaving.

You do know that nail clippers are allowed in carry on.
    rcs1000 said:

Miklosvar said:

Had not thought of that. Thank you.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

You can imagine that might be a benefit of Brexit if it forced them to modernise.

Seems unlikely though. Nothing else has forced them to.
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

Peck said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I'm on.

The turd?

Are you on opioids, btw? You have that dissociated style
    To Q1: Yes, the turd and its cosmic importance and the importance Jung "knew" it indicated for him, the seer of the vision. That Trump rates that book in particular is on the record. How many other books has the guy ever read or recommended?

(One may need to have studied Trump a lot to appreciate this. I know for example what several of his fears are about, although can't say it here.)

To Q2: No - I'm a natural!

Foxy said:

Unions.
    Very few staff sounds a management rather than Union issue. It's them that manage the rota...
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    rcs1000 said:

Miklosvar said:

I have a bone to pick with you, a few weeks ago you posted something very funny from the New Yorker. I signed up to their daily email for New Yorker humour and the cartoons are about as humorous as having your humerus removed violently and shoved up your backside with no lube.

You are forgiven though as a Radiohead fan.
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I'm on.

Don't the cities vote for the Democrats? DC certainly does.

He obviously has a chance, unfortunately, but will Democrat leaning cities being shit really make the difference in the key states like Arizona and Georgia, where Biden won by a whisker last time? I'd have thought they already thought that, which is why they don't live in those places.

Trump might have an even better chance if he spent more time complaining about mismanagement of Democratic authorities and less time bemoaning his personal legal woes - I know it plays well with his base, but they'd vote for him anyway, and even the small number of GOPers put off by his behaviour would find it easier to back him.
  • "RUTHERGLEN: SLAB CAN SURELY WIN THIS ONE BACK?"
    Better let the LibDems have a go to be on the safe side.

The LDs have 3 councillors in the seat, but only 2 in the Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk seat.
    boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

Miklosvar said:

I have a bone to pick with you, a few weeks ago you posted something very funny from the New Yorker. I signed up to their daily email for New Yorker humour and the cartoons are about as humorous as having your humerus removed violently and shoved up your backside with no lube.

Twenty one years ago, almost to the day, I was cycling* back from a pub in Southwark to Aldgate East where I then lived.

Maybe I'd had one two many beers. Maybe it was the car speeding up Minories far too close to me. And maybe it was some combination of the two. But I came off my bicycle and ended up at the Royal London.

After being X-Rayed, the Nurse Practitioner looked me in the eye and said - word for word - "You fractured your humerus. And I bet you don't think that's very humorous."

* Yeah, cycled. Sue me.
    Sandpit said:

The people who have really done well from the pandemic, were those who woke up to their job being rubbish, and moved on to something better.

Now the bad employers no longer have an unlimited pool of labour to work through, they need to sort themselves out.
    My theory, having employed such people, is that a characteristic of being in very low paid jobs for anytime is being unadventurous. If you think about it, it is obvious - the vaguely adventurous ones get another job. So you get a filter.

Even in the zero hours shit jobs, such people tend to go and get another lot of hours in a similar job.

COVID stopped certain jobs dead. No flying, so no hours working in various menial jobs in airports. Forced out of their rut, people tried something else.

Driving for Amazon is actually a not that great a job. But the pay, in London, is above minimum wage. £14-15 an hour or some such. That's getting on for 50% above minimum wage. Then there are conditions. You drive a van - generally the same one. So it's kind of yours.

Then you drive a route, which in London, is quite short physically. Lots of deliveries to given residential areas. Especially no people are working at home. I often see a driver on the app 10 jobs away from me - and about 200 meters away. So you aren't ending up miles from home all the time.

The size and weight of items is limited - which is you have been doing a hard manual job, is a massive relief.

So a job like that is a massive improvement.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,848

I’d assume it is staffing shortages for what is a pretty unexciting manual job.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Unions.
    Very few staff sounds a management rather than Union issue. It's them that manage the rota...
    A little while ago, I was passing the pubs near Hammersmith bridge, during the early morning.

The landlord of one pub was swearing on his phone, because he couldn't get staff to show up. The next day. Yes, his plan was to phone people up to ask them to do a shit on about 24 hours notice.

The next door pub, I happen to know, the landlord does a spreadsheet for months in advance. And does free laundry of the pub branded polo shirts - and other stuff like that.

Guess who has staff?
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I'm on.

Don't the cities vote for the Democrats? DC certainly does.

He obviously has a chance, unfortunately, but will Democrat leaning cities being shit really make the difference in the key states like Arizona and Georgia, where Biden won by a whisker last time? I'd have thought they already thought that, which is why they don't live in those places.

Trump might have an even better chance if he spent more time complaining about mismanagement of Democratic authorities and less time bemoaning his personal legal woes - I know it plays well with his base, but they'd vote for him anyway, and even the small number of GOPers put off by his behaviour would find it easier to back him.
    Trump should be concentrating on the improvements to these problems that happened when he was president.

There were improvements, right?

*Tumbleweeds*
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279

I’d assume it is staffing shortages for what is a pretty unexciting manual job.
    BA employees just settled their dispute with a 13% pay rise. Sounds like min wage airport workers being given the same might bring the numbers up.
    The oceans have hit their hottest ever recorded temperature as they soak up warmth from climate change, with dire implications for our planet's health.

The average daily global sea surface temperature beat a 2016 record this week, according to the EU's climate change service Copernicus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66387537

Temperatures of 37 celsius, immune from the usual Nonsense, it's always hot in summer response, because this is in midwinter

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/winter-heat-wave-chile-offers-window-warmer-world-2023-08-03/

Not looking good

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Unions.
    A little while ago, I was passing the pubs near Hammersmith bridge, during the early morning.

The landlord of one pub was swearing on his phone, because he couldn't get staff to show up. The next day. Yes, his plan was to phone people up to ask them to do a shit on about 24 hours notice.

The next door pub, I happen to know, the landlord does a spreadsheet for months in advance. And does free laundry of the pub branded polo shirts - and other stuff like that.

Guess who has staff?
    Slightly disconcerting typo given the parallel conversation on dodgy khazis ...
    edited August 2023
    rcs1000 said:

boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

Miklosvar said:

Twenty one years ago, almost to the day, I was cycling* back from a pub in Southwark to Aldgate East where I then lived.

Maybe I'd had one two many beers. Maybe it was the car speeding up Minories far too close to me. And maybe it was some combination of the two. But I came off my bicycle and ended up at the Royal London.

After being X-Rayed, the Nurse Practitioner looked me in the eye and said - word for word - "You fractured your humerus. And I bet you don't think that's very humorous."

* Yeah, cycled. Sue me.
    A mad physio*, who I got recommended, told me about how he cracked a vertebra playing rugby.

The local NHS hospital sent him home with some pain killers, having missed the crack in the X-Rays.

After some pain and time, he went private.

He trend up at the NHS hospital and demanded to see the senior chap. As he told hit, the guy was asking if he wanted to sue. "No", he said, "I want you too get your chap in here and show him what at cracked vertebra looks like on an X-Ray, for next time"

*He reminded me strongly of Basil Brush. Drove a souped up version of a Caterham 7, with illegal tires, IIRC.
    edited August 2023
    What are they playing at, not officially naming any of Trump's six alleged co-conspirators, but releasing enough information to allow five of them (who are all lawyers) to be identified? Either it's in the interests of justice for them to be named or it isn't.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    4 local by-elections last night, 2 defences each for Con and Lab.

Result: 3 LibDem gains, 1 Labour hold (LibDem 2nd, up from 3rd last time)
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Unions.

Guess who has staff?
    Bet the shifts at that pub *are* shit.

I find it very hard to understand the mind state - expecting people to sit by the phone, lives on hold, just waiting for work.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Unions.

Guess who has staff?
    "do a shit on about 24 hours notice" is excellent. My own bowel movements are diarised months in advance.

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Unions.

Guess who has staff?
    Bet the shifts at that pub *are* shit.

I find it very hard to understand the mind state - expecting people to sit by the phone, lives on hold, just waiting for work.
    That's essentially how the London dockers lived - hand to mouth, albeit waiting around in person rather than by the phone. And right wingers blame them for getting unionised and militant?

I'm actually quyite impressed the workers at Heathrow *are* unionised, given the huge factors operating against it in such an itinerantly staffed industry. Management must really be like Publican No 1.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,000
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Possible straw in the wind for Trump, with slightly underwhelming numbers in Iowa.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/04/trump-polls-2024-desantis-00109825

I wouldn't read much into that. It's still a commanding lead and he lost the Iowa caucus to Ted Cruz in 2015.
    My view is that Trump will likely win Iowa handsomely.

The question for him is really what the opposition looks like after that. If Trump gets 55%, and his opposition is split between a dozen candidates, then he is home and dry.

On the other hand, if it is Trump 55%, and Haley or Christie (or even DeSantis) on 30%, then the contest is very different.

The NYTimes polling on this is excellent. 37% of Republicans love Trump. 25% dislike him.

And then there's the final 37% who are big fans of the former President, but who think the Republicans are more likely to win the White House if someone else is the nominee.

That's a very narrow path for an alternative to Trump to walk down. And a couple of blow out wins for him Iowa and New Hampshire with no obvious challenger would close it completely. But at the same time, if there's only one challenger to Trump after Iowa and NH, then the race becomes a lot more interesting.
    Christie's best chance is to focus on New Hampshire, a North Eastern state like New Jersey where he was governor
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Unfortunately, the tide appears to be turning if this is right.

CNN Poll: Majority of Americans oppose more US aid for Ukraine in war with Russia

Partisan divide, but Republicans and Independents opposing more funding, and a significant minority of Democrats too.
    'When asked specifically about types of assistance the US could provide to Ukraine, there is broader support for help with intelligence gathering (63%) and military training (53%) than for providing weapons (43%), alongside very slim backing for US military forces to participate in combat operations (17%).

Most Americans who say the US should be doing more to support Ukraine are in favor of providing assistance in intelligence gathering (75%), military training (68%) and weapons (60%), while among those who say the US has already done enough, only intelligence gathering earns majority support (52%)....When asked about specific forms of assistance, majorities across parties say the US should be providing Ukraine assistance in intelligence gathering (70% of Democrats, 63% of independents and 56% of Repu

blicans say so). And while nearly two-thirds of Democrats back military training (64%), support among independents and Republicans drops to about half (48% among each group). There’s an even larger partisan gap over providing weapons to Ukraine, with 61% of Democrats behind that compared with 39% of independents and just 30% of Republicans. Less than 20% across parties back providing US military forces to participate in combat operations (19% among Democrats, 18% among independents and 16% among Republicans).'
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

4 local by-elections last night, 2 defences each for Con and Lab.

Result: 3 LibDem gains, 1 Labour hold (LibDem 2nd, up from 3rd last time)

The yellow local government machine is definitely cranking up at the moment. Good news for the long term viability of the party in Westminster.

rcs1000 said:

boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

Miklosvar said:

* Yeah, cycled. Sue me.
    A mad physio*, who I got recommended, told me about how he cracked a vertebra playing rugby.

The local NHS hospital sent him home with some pain killers, having missed the crack in the X-Rays.

He trend up at the NHS hospital and demanded to see the senior chap. As he told hit, the guy was asking if he wanted to sue. "No", he said, "I want you too get your chap in here and show him what at cracked vertebra looks like on an X-Ray, for next time"

*He reminded me strongly of Basil Brush. Drove a souped up version of a Caterham 7, with illegal tires, IIRC.
    That is very cool.

true story; my bro in law had a bad eye injury 5 years ago, looked like he might lose sight [spoiler: he is fine now]

So my sis says to the NHS consultant at Raigmore Inverness: i don't want to diss you but we can afford to go private and go down to Moorfields, if it would alter the odds even 2%, what do you think?

Consultant: weeell, if you do that, don't book him in for a procedure on a Thursday

Sister; WTF?

Consultant: because that's the day I operate at Moorfields every week.

rcs1000 said:

boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

Miklosvar said:

* Yeah, cycled. Sue me.

OK...

About seven years ago (29 October 2016), my wife asked me if I wanted some cheese and wine, and I said "nope, I'm going for a run".

So, I went for a run around Hampstead and Finchley Road, and just as I was on the final stretch on Redington, I tripped and fell.

Standing up and looking at my hand, it was clear that *something* was slightly wrong. Specifically, my little finger was bent back at an unusual angle:

So I called an Uber to take me to the Royal Free.

They de-dislocated the finger (by yanking), wrapped it up, gave me painkillers and sent me home, with instructions to the return to the hand clinic the following week.

Which I duly did. Upon meeting with a hand doctor the following week, they were surprised at the extent of the swelling and ordered an X-Ray.

When it came back I was told "Yeah, you should have been X-Rayed last week, because you've fractured a bunch of bones in your hand and we're going to need to operate first thing tomorrow to pin your hand back together."
    Peck said:

What are they playing at, not officially naming any of Trump's six alleged co-conspirators, but releasing enough information to allow five of them (who are all lawyers) to be identified? Either it's in the interests of justice for them to be named or it isn't.

I'm not sure it is playing at anything, it seems to be pretty standard police and legal authority practice. See how when police arrest someone publicly here they often still just say something like 'a 51 year old woman was taken into custody', even though everyone knows who it was.
    edited August 2023
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

The nightmare for the GOP leadership is Trump's trials next year aren't due until March 25th at the earliest for the New York hush money trial, after Super Tuesday and May 20th in Florida on the classified docs case by which date the GOP nominee will have been elected most likely and the DC case over Jan 20th 2020 even later.

So if Trump is convicted that could come AFTER he has already won enough delegates to be Republican nominee again. Yet if he is convicted even 45% of Republican voters say they would no longer vote for Trump again in the general election and 52% would not vote for him if jailed

https://www.reuters.com/legal/about-half-us-republicans-could-spurn-trump-if-he-is-convicted-reutersipsos-poll-2023-08-03/

• bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    Foxy said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tokyo airport has lovely new shiny technologically-advanced toilets, with a choice of sit or squat options.
This discussion has been closed.