Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Two thirds of CON members don’t think there’s a climate emergency – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064

A very sane father of a friend of mine, former Labour Party member, and (now retired) self-made entrepreneur, now believes that global warming is caused by underwater volcanoes.

Social media is a cancer on our democracy.

The confusing thing is that social media doesn't sound a million miles different from the early days of printing, with all sorts of mad things being printed, the same disregard for fact and the preference for what was slanderous and exciting, and democracy was born from that tumult.

So why is it different with social media now?
    Because of the centralisation of social media ownewrship? You didn't get Master Printer Muske owning 50% of the printing shops in London.
  • Options

Interest rates op quarter a percent

Excellent news for savers.

We’ve been persecuted for too long whilst mortgage holders have had it easy for the last 15 years.

What chance do you think the banks will pass this on to savers ?
    Already are. Had a text from my bank upping the rate to a very acceptable one.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893

Leon said:

FPT - I've yet to meet anyone who respects Sadiq Khan.

I know a couple of New Labour SPADs who laughed out loud when I mentioned his name, and a few people in business who'd met him who said he was completely barking.

I think even the people who vote for him do so with clothes pegs on their nose.

I've yet to meet an actual Sadiq Khan VOTER - as in someone who openly and avowedly says "Oh yes I'm voting for him". Most people say Meh, what a boring jerk. The full-on haters really hate him. A small minority say "Oh well he';s not great but I might have to"

Yet he's apparently coasting to victory again

I am sure I live in something of an ethnic bubble, more white than most of London, but that bubble is politically diverse from UKIP Brexiteers to plenty of lefties (of all classes)

I cannot find an enthusiastic Khan voter. He is eminently beatable and it is pathetic that the Tories have not found anyone to do it
    Like all generalisations that doesn't quite hold - I know several people, not all regularly Labour, who like him. The usual reason given is "a serious guy who has a positive agenda, unlike Boris". All of them strongly disapprove of Starmer's attempt to push him, and want him to say "sod off, Keir, I'm running London and we need clean air".

Anecdata, I know. I think there is a structural problem - the Mayoral office is mostly motivational rather than policy-focused, so you really need a bit of rah-rah-London-is-great stuff, which isn't Sadiq's style. But he'll still beat the Tory candidate by a country mile.
    MoL is a weird job. Ideally you need a mix of Boris and a really good administrator, which ain't going to happen. Split the role in two somehow with a Cheerleader for London and an Administrator for London.
    The theory of Boris's mayorality was that Boris could do the cheerleading and appoint capable minions to do the admin for him. How much that worked is a question for the history books. Quite a bit of what came out of Boris's mind was sizzle-without-sausage which no minion could make work, no matter how capable.

Sadiq, on the other hand, is boring. And whilst we need more boring overall, you can have too much of a good thing in one place.

But the impossible question is- who is this paragon who wants the job of London Mayor and is capable of winning it? I don't see anyone who wants it on the centre-left, or is capable of winning it from the centre-right. And the Conservatives have trapped themselves shouting to themselves in Zone 6.

So Sadiq, who is the word "meh" given human flesh, keeps on going.
    Unless there are some unknown things about Paul Scully, very weird he didn't even make the shortlist. I think he would have had a decent chance.
    It is, once again though, Sunak's wet faction fixing it up for their guy (don't mention the groping allegations), then that falling through with the inevitable outcome. It's the leadership election all over again - Sunak's team used his early favourite status to contribute votes and knock everyone except the weakest candidate out; then the Tory membership wisely saw that he was even shitter than Truss and voted for her. We got Truss because of Sunak. We got Susan Hall because of Sunak.

The Tory Party has a settled pro-Britain view, and a settled views on the desirability of low taxes and a small state. The wets need to stop hijacking the Tory party, and go and start a new party to get a mandate for the policies they espouse, and see how many people flock to their cause. I understand the name 'Change UK' may be available.
    Hilarious to hear Sunak is a wet. Stewart, Heseltine and Clarke are wets. Hammond, Johnson, May, centrists. Sunak, Truss dries.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    edited August 2023
    Miklosvar said:

Nigelb said:

Miklosvar said:

Multiply the Titanic by Brexit by the Scotch parliament building by DRS by the groundnut scheme

Square the result

Square the result again

The number you have arrived at is invisible next to the clusterfuck that the no new ICE cars by 2030 plan is going to be. Buy a diesel truck, a 20,000 litre diesel storage tank, and a shotgun for the defence of both.

That's rubbish, since (for a start) PHEVs will continue to be manufactured.
    Yes, I have only just realised what a complete scam they are. A PHEV range rover has 1.5x the diesel capacity of my actual diesel pickup. And goes about 300 yards on electric.
    Since more than half of car journeys are less than 3 miles, and 70% are less than 5 miles, a low electric range can cover a huge percentage of journeys.

Secondhand or Mew PHEVs are, and will to be, a very good option for a LOT of people, especially given electric tariffs that only provide 3-4 hours of very cheap overnight electricity, solar panels and the British climate, or granny (ie 3 kW or 7kW) chargers being the most universal.

eg a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV provides 30-40 miles of electric, which is practically 25-40.

It's really covering the same range slot as an Electric Quadricycle, but with a larger vehicle, Plan B, and more load options.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,955
    edited August 2023
    On the technological fix front, I see there is still quite a lot of excitement over the potential high temperature superconductor LK-99. It has been confirmed to be superconducting by a second group, albeit at a lower temperature.

If this turns out to be real and manufacturable (a big IF admittedly) then a lot of (if not all) energy problems magically vanish.

It really would be a Big Deal.

Buy lead futures.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,019
    Miklosvar said:

Nigelb said:

Miklosvar said:

Multiply the Titanic by Brexit by the Scotch parliament building by DRS by the groundnut scheme

Square the result

Square the result again

The number you have arrived at is invisible next to the clusterfuck that the no new ICE cars by 2030 plan is going to be. Buy a diesel truck, a 20,000 litre diesel storage tank, and a shotgun for the defence of both.

That's rubbish, since (for a start) PHEVs will continue to be manufactured.
    Yes, I have only just realised what a complete scam they are. A PHEV range rover has 1.5x the diesel capacity of my actual diesel pickup. And goes about 300 yards on electric.
    Most of them are expensive and complicated, make sense only as a company car for the BIK discount. They used to be exempt from the London congestion charge but aren’t any more. You really don’t want to own one out of warranty, they’ll be expensive to maintain.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,144

A very sane father of a friend of mine, former Labour Party member, and (now retired) self-made entrepreneur, now believes that global warming is caused by underwater volcanoes.

Social media is a cancer on our democracy.

If democracy requires control of the flow of information received by voters, is it really democracy?
    coughcoughonlinesafetybillcoughcough

You will be surprised by how many people on PB will defend it, and you will be one of them. Everybody says they want free speech, then somebody says things they dislike and they ban it. What do you think "Free speech not hate speech" means?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,057
    edited August 2023
    Trump's former attorney general.

Barr: “You read through the indictment & his behavior & it's nauseating. It's despicable behavior. Whether it's criminal or not, someone who engaged in that kind of bullying about a process fundamental to our system & self-government shouldn't be anywhere near the Oval Office.”
    https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1687053886400454656

But he'll still probably vote for him if he's the nominee.
    Sums up the GOP.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

We’ve been persecuted for too long whilst mortgage holders have had it easy for the last 15 years.

You can get over 6% on a 1 year fix all over the shop, unless "the banks" just means Coutts and the TSB to you.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893
    Nigelb said:

Barr: “You read through the indictment & his behavior & it's nauseating. It's despicable behavior. Whether it's criminal or not, someone who engaged in that kind of bullying about a process fundamental to our system & self-government shouldn't be anywhere near the Oval Office.”

Did they ask if he will be voting for him......
  • Options

On the technological fix front, I see there is still quite a lot of excitement over the potential high temperature superconductor LK-99

If this turns out to be real and manufacturable (a big IF admittedly) then a lot of (if not all) energy problems magically vanish.

Buy lead futures.

You have to feel sorry for @Leon, banished by the Gazette to report on some godforsaken war zone, General Melchett-style, miles from the front line, which means he has completely missed the tech hype bubble switch from AI to superconductors, from ChatGPT to LK-77.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

You can get over 6% on a 1 year fix all over the shop, unless "the banks" just means Coutts and the TSB to you.
    He was referring to savings accounts, not mortgage loans. Unless you were referring to a savings account, in which case linky please?
  • Options
    edited August 2023

On the technological fix front, I see there is still quite a lot of excitement over the potential high temperature superconductor LK-99

Buy lead futures.

You have to feel sorry for @Leon, banished by the Gazette to report on some godforsaken war zone, General Melchett-style, miles from the front line, which means he has completely missed the tech hype bubble switch from AI to superconductors, from ChatGPT to LK-77.
    Ah, but just think how good the AI will be powered by a room-temperature superconducting quantum computer.

It will break all current classical encryption without breaking into a sweat.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

He was referring to savings accounts, not mortgage loans. Unless you were referring to a savings account, in which case linky please?
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/
  • Options

On the technological fix front, I see there is still quite a lot of excitement over the potential high temperature superconductor LK-99. It has been confirmed to be superconducting by a second group, albeit at a lower temperature.

Buy lead futures.

It seems fairly unlikely that this will be immediately (or even anytime) usable for large scale power transmission - but even as a proof of principle, if it pans out, it's very exciting.

Sell helium futures.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Did they ask if he will be voting for him......
    See my edit.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

Thank you :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,212

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

I was talking to a member deep in the selection process in a winnable seat - one applicant is really majoring on climate change, another is focusing on aid for victims of scandals (Post Office, Hillsborough, etc.). She's leaning to the first as she thinks that, with NHS and cost of living, that will be the key theme in the election. But I wonder if it is (I'm not sure that victims will be either, sadly). People who agree it's happening and important are already not voting Tory, whereas for cost of living the position is less clear-cut, so perhaps we should be focusing on that?

Conversely, Sunak seems to be pursuing a core vote strategy to fight the looking wall of Tory abstentions - "we might lose but let's motivate the remaining supporters to actually vote".

So over 2/3rd of Conservative members do believe climate change is caused by humans and almost 90% think it's real?

Margaret Thatcher first alerted the world to its dangers. Decades ago. Because she understood the science. All Conservatives revere her and should understand that. But she was practical too.

What we're seeing here is the consequences of allowing this issue to be entirely captured by the activist Left, which fuels polarisation.

What we're seeing here is how the right blames the left for their own foolishness.

The Tories have been in power for the last decade - how and why is "the activist left" setting their agenda ?
    Cameron, May and even Boris were pro action on climate change, pro net zero and Boris put forward the petrol cars ban.

However the left via Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion have overreached and Sunak has seen an opportunity post Uxbridge and is now pushing a more pro motorist and pro oil and gas agenda
    While Corbyn actually said he wanted to reopen coal mines....
    He didn't, Gove did approve a new coalmine in Cumbria however

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-34398851
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/07/uk-first-new-coalmine-for-30-years-gets-go-ahead-in-cumbria
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sums up the GOP.

Trump needs to be growing potatoes on a prison farm in Minnesota for the rest of his life, with one of those mad Usonian totted-up prison sentences that comes to 276 years or so. IMO.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,660

Leon said:

I know a couple of New Labour SPADs who laughed out loud when I mentioned his name, and a few people in business who'd met him who said he was completely barking.

I've yet to meet an actual Sadiq Khan VOTER - as in someone who openly and avowedly says "Oh yes I'm voting for him". Most people say Meh, what a boring jerk. The full-on haters really hate him. A small minority say "Oh well he';s not great but I might have to"

I am sure I live in something of an ethnic bubble, more white than most of London, but that bubble is politically diverse from UKIP Brexiteers to plenty of lefties (of all classes)

I cannot find an enthusiastic Khan voter. He is eminently beatable and it is pathetic that the Tories have not found anyone to do it
    Like all generalisations that doesn't quite hold - I know several people, not all regularly Labour, who like him. The usual reason given is "a serious guy who has a positive agenda, unlike Boris". All of them strongly disapprove of Starmer's attempt to push him, and want him to say "sod off, Keir, I'm running London and we need clean air".

Anecdata, I know. I think there is a structural problem - the Mayoral office is mostly motivational rather than policy-focused, so you really need a bit of rah-rah-London-is-great stuff, which isn't Sadiq's style. But he'll still beat the Tory candidate by a country mile.
    MoL is a weird job. Ideally you need a mix of Boris and a really good administrator, which ain't going to happen. Split the role in two somehow with a Cheerleader for London and an Administrator for London.
    The theory of Boris's mayorality was that Boris could do the cheerleading and appoint capable minions to do the admin for him. How much that worked is a question for the history books. Quite a bit of what came out of Boris's mind was sizzle-without-sausage which no minion could make work, no matter how capable.

Sadiq, on the other hand, is boring. And whilst we need more boring overall, you can have too much of a good thing in one place.

But the impossible question is- who is this paragon who wants the job of London Mayor and is capable of winning it? I don't see anyone who wants it on the centre-left, or is capable of winning it from the centre-right. And the Conservatives have trapped themselves shouting to themselves in Zone 6.

So Sadiq, who is the word "meh" given human flesh, keeps on going.
    Unless there are some unknown things about Paul Scully, very weird he didn't even make the shortlist. I think he would have had a decent chance.
    It is, once again though, Sunak's wet faction fixing it up for their guy (don't mention the groping allegations), then that falling through with the inevitable outcome. It's the leadership election all over again - Sunak's team used his early favourite status to contribute votes and knock everyone except the weakest candidate out; then the Tory membership wisely saw that he was even shitter than Truss and voted for her. We got Truss because of Sunak. We got Susan Hall because of Sunak.

The Tory Party has a settled pro-Britain view, and a settled views on the desirability of low taxes and a small state. The wets need to stop hijacking the Tory party, and go and start a new party to get a mandate for the policies they espouse, and see how many people flock to their cause. I understand the name 'Change UK' may be available.
    Hilarious to hear Sunak is a wet. Stewart, Heseltine and Clarke are wets. Hammond, Johnson, May, centrists. Sunak, Truss dries.
    Hopefully you can recover from this bout of hilarity long enough to tell me anything vaguely 'dry' that Sunak has done with his Premiership.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,392

Mrs Thatcher would be disgusted.

The Lady's not for (Global) Burning.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Khan is relatively popular in London. Whether that’s him or the favourable Labour brand, who knows?

Despite Uxbridge, Tories are toast here in this great city. I’d be surprised if they win more that 10 seats here.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

which.co.uk is also worth checking; I look at both; but it might be an idea to wait a day or three to give the banks tyime to respond. Looks as if Shawbrook got their retaliation in first - upped at least one account on 1 August.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

which.co.uk is also worth checking; I look at both; but it might be an idea to wait a day or three to give the banks tyime to respond. Looks as if Shawbrook got their retaliation in first - upped at least one account on 1 August.
    And thank you too :)
  • Options
    Rereading The Making of the Atomic Bomb, I'm struck just how anti-commerce (not even plain uncommercial) tended to be the culture of British science, pre-WWII.
    And of course after WWII we had no money.

Arguably that explains much about our economy today.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Sums up the GOP.

Trump needs to be growing potatoes on a prison farm in Minnesota for the rest of his life, with one of those mad Usonian totted-up prison sentences that comes to 276 years or so. IMO.
    I wouldn't trust him with my spuds.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

Buy lead futures.

It seems fairly unlikely that this will be immediately (or even anytime) usable for large scale power transmission - but even as a proof of principle, if it pans out, it's very exciting.

Sell helium futures.
    Power transmission is a tiny tiny part of what you could do with such a substance. It would be an total and utter revolution.

Shame it is probably "50 years" in the future, like fusion power (which it would of course enable).

Also sell neodymium futures.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

I was talking to a member deep in the selection process in a winnable seat - one applicant is really majoring on climate change, another is focusing on aid for victims of scandals (Post Office, Hillsborough, etc.). She's leaning to the first as she thinks that, with NHS and cost of living, that will be the key theme in the election. But I wonder if it is (I'm not sure that victims will be either, sadly). People who agree it's happening and important are already not voting Tory, whereas for cost of living the position is less clear-cut, so perhaps we should be focusing on that?

Conversely, Sunak seems to be pursuing a core vote strategy to fight the looking wall of Tory abstentions - "we might lose but let's motivate the remaining supporters to actually vote".

So over 2/3rd of Conservative members do believe climate change is caused by humans and almost 90% think it's real?

Margaret Thatcher first alerted the world to its dangers. Decades ago. Because she understood the science. All Conservatives revere her and should understand that. But she was practical too.

What we're seeing here is the consequences of allowing this issue to be entirely captured by the activist Left, which fuels polarisation.

What we're seeing here is how the right blames the left for their own foolishness.

The Tories have been in power for the last decade - how and why is "the activist left" setting their agenda ?
    Cameron, May and even Boris were pro action on climate change, pro net zero and Boris put forward the petrol cars ban.

However the left via Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion have overreached and Sunak has seen an opportunity post Uxbridge and is now pushing a more pro motorist and pro oil and gas agenda

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/07/uk-first-new-coalmine-for-30-years-gets-go-ahead-in-cumbria
    That's allegedly feedstock rather than energy in general. Specialist coal for steelmaking. BUT "The vast majority of the coal produced will be for export, as most UK steel producers have rejected the use of the coal, which is high in sulphur and surplus to their needs."

Not much help to UK indistry there. Great for competitors.
  • Options
    Wilkos enter administration
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

That's allegedly feedstock rather than energy in general. Specialist coal for steelmaking. BUT "The vast majority of the coal produced will be for export, as most UK steel producers have rejected the use of the coal, which is high in sulphur and surplus to their needs."

Help to the Cumbrians who will get well paid jobs there
  • Options

DAMMIT!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,750
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Wrong

NEAR THE END OF 2015, Britain's last deep coal mine, Kellingley, in North Yorkshire, saw its last shift of workers come up from underground. In an interview earlier that year, while running to be leader of the Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn raised the idea of reopening some of Britain's collieries

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1467-923X.13000#:~:text=Corbyn and the coal mines,-NEAR THE END&text=In an interview earlier that,we can develop coal technology.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/labour-leadership-contender-jeremy-corbyn-9817411
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

And thank you too :)
    Aw shucks.

The interesting change in bank accounts is the rise in limited access accounts - sort of in between unlimited access, and fixed term with penalty for withdrawal. Often get missed out of such reports, but worth a look. But IANAE so DYOR.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DAMMIT!
    I shop there! Obviously not often enough! Christ, the high street is being gutted!
  • Options

The surprise is surely that it has taken this long.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Help to the Cumbrians who will get well paid jobs there
    Sure, they'll get jobs. But during the arguments over it, Mr Gove et al stressed how important it was for steelmaking, with the clear implication it was for UK industry.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,958

At a guess, I'd imagine they've been negatively affected by

a) being in town centres, thus carrying high rents and rates and facing competition from B&M, Homebargains etc
    b) competition from Amazon
    c) debt interest

It has been a long time since I were a retail consultant, but that wouldn't be a winning combo....
  • Options

Never heard of them but 12,000 jobs apparently. not good.
  • Options

I swear to God I'm a bloody jinx! Every shop I go to falls to bits! How is Boots doing? Is that going to collapse as well?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

DAMMIT!
    I shop there! Obviously not often enough! Christ, the high street is being gutted!
    The high st will be replaced with much needed homes. Its not a bad thing....
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

DAMMIT!
    My daughters don't shop on the High Street - despite my wife dragging them round the stores etc..

They buy online and return stuff they don't want.

Their friends are all like this. They see shopping as a chore, rather than the whole "go into the store to browse" thing.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I swear to God I'm a bloody jinx! Every shop I go to falls to bits! How is Boots doing? Is that going to collapse as well?
    Just so you know, my bookshop is closed today!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,114
    Germany are heading out of the women's world cup despite being the number 2 ranked team, unless they score a goal against South Korea in the last 10 mins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/65582982
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

DAMMIT!
    My daughters don't shop on the High Street - despite my wife dragging them round the stores etc..

Their friends are all like this. They see shopping as a chore, rather than the whole "go into the store to browse" thing.
    Let me guess, they'll browse online/insta reels for ages instead?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/CD137047/Boots-recoups-losses-as-post-tax-profits-rocket-to-15m
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Miklosvar said:

They had a 'what exactly is this shop for' vibe, a bit like Woolworths did.

You want to buy cheap tat in person? Go to Poundland etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

We get all our household bits and pieces from there and always have done. What a tragedy.
  • Options

Miklosvar said:

They have a 'what exactly is this shop for' vibe, a bit like Woolworths did.
    That's a, how do you say it? A bingo?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519

Noooooooooooo.

I suppose if it's too good to be true it is very often too good to be true.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

DAMMIT!

Let me guess, they'll browse online/insta reels for ages instead?
    Yup - shopping in social media

An infinite store front, with very low rent.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

DAMMIT!
    If you look at high streets that have been mostly converted into flats (is Cardiff one?), they're only good if the buildings pre-conversion were good, and if the high street was crap architecture, the post-conversion flats are worse. England was supposed to be prosperous, not bloody Central Europe! At least they had the sense to rebuild pretty!

Agh, I am miffed.
  • Options

I'm sadly not suprised. I use one local to me for homebrewing stuff and other bits and bod and this year they just have not had the stock so I have been going to Boyes instead.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Miklosvar said:

We get all our household bits and pieces from there and always have done. What a tragedy.
    Well they used to be Wilkinsons and then came back as Wilko, they may well do the same thing again.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

Oh, right, that's it. Start building a barricade, I'll get the AR-15s. >:)
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

That's a mighty interesting position you occupy in the UK if you have never heard of Wilkos.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    viewcode said:

Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

DAMMIT!
    If you look at high streets that have been mostly converted into flats (is Cardiff one?), they're only good if the buildings pre-conversion were good, and if the high street was crap architecture, the post-conversion flats are worse. England was supposed to be prosperous, not bloody Central Europe! At least they had the sense to rebuild pretty!

Agh, I am miffed.
    In my home town, because of a quirk of historical geography, most of the closed shops were C18/19 stone jobs which used to have the shopkeeper or his assistant living above, so all they needed to do was convert the shop into extra living quarters, maybe with the shop window replaced by masonry infill and a smaller domestic size window. So the contraction of the shopping centre has actually worked well - it's not even noticeable which the old shops are.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,976
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given the Uxbridge by election Tory hold on an anti ULEZ ticket and the recent poll showing 67% of Tory voters back new oil and gas licenses in the North sea as do UK voters overall by 42% to 27% whatever Extinction rebellion, Just Stop Oil and Greenpeace think it is unsurprising Sunak is rowing back from too much anti car and anti fossil fuels action.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2023/07/31/aac1f/1

Whoever replaces him as Tory leader will likely be just as pro car and net zero ambivalent. Labour voters however are much more pro action on climate change as are LDs, by 47% to 24% Labour voters think the government was wrong to issue new oil and gas licenses as do LD voters by 38% to 32%.

Labour Mayor of London Sadiq Khan also remains as pro ULEZ expansion as ever whatever Uxbridge voters thought

But there aren't many Tory voters these days. Appealing to them won't win you a general election (or a London mayoral one). The Con-to-Lab swing in Uxbridge wasn't enough to get a Labour MP elected, but would see Sunak out of No. 10 if repeated nationally. Sunak needs to reach former Tory voters.
    The figures were for 2019 Tory voters and as the poll also showed voters as a whole back more licenses for oil and gas in the North Sea and as Uxbridge showed in outer London ULEZ is unpopular
    Fair enough. It would be interesting to see the split but still-Con vs ex-Con.

ULEZ will be old news by the general.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

DAMMIT!
    I'm not sure it should be all on your shoulders @viewcode
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Miklosvar said:

That's a mighty interesting position you occupy in the UK if you have never heard of Wilkos.
    Out in the sticks. From a google, they sell stuff I get off ebay or from Mole Valley. Hoover bags and such.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given the Uxbridge by election Tory hold on an anti ULEZ ticket and the recent poll showing 67% of Tory voters back new oil and gas licenses in the North sea as do UK voters overall by 42% to 27% whatever Extinction rebellion, Just Stop Oil and Greenpeace think it is unsurprising Sunak is rowing back from too much anti car and anti fossil fuels action.

Whoever replaces him as Tory leader will likely be just as pro car and net zero ambivalent. Labour voters however are much more pro action on climate change as are LDs, by 47% to 24% Labour voters think the government was wrong to issue new oil and gas licenses as do LD voters by 38% to 32%.

Labour Mayor of London Sadiq Khan also remains as pro ULEZ expansion as ever whatever Uxbridge voters thought

But there aren't many Tory voters these days. Appealing to them won't win you a general election (or a London mayoral one). The Con-to-Lab swing in Uxbridge wasn't enough to get a Labour MP elected, but would see Sunak out of No. 10 if repeated nationally. Sunak needs to reach former Tory voters.
    The figures were for 2019 Tory voters and as the poll also showed voters as a whole back more licenses for oil and gas in the North Sea and as Uxbridge showed in outer London ULEZ is unpopular
    Fair enough. It would be interesting to see the split but still-Con vs ex-Con.

ULEZ will be old news by the general.
    Not if it's coming to a town or city near you.

And why wouldn't it be.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Miklosvar said:

Sad for the people losing jobs, and sad for the (mostly smalltown) High Streets which will have a gap in them. Whilst there were better places to buy gardening stuff, stationery, hardware and so on, they tend not to be ubiquitous in the way that Woolworths was and Wilko is (for a bit longer anyway).
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Where’s the Londoner Andy Street?

There must be one somewhere, a successful and well-known London businessperson willing to stand against an unpopular mayor. My first thought would be someone like Charlie Mullins, if he’s not enjoying his money too much, then I realised that he’s now 70 so probably wouldn’t want to do it.
    Besides,

Pimlico Plumbers donated £22,735 to the Conservative Party in 2015, and Mullins donated more than £48,000, in the two years to July 2017. He was a business adviser to David Cameron and George Osborne, and has been a vocal critic of Brexit.

In January 2018, Mullins announced that he would no longer be a Conservative Party donor, and declared his candidacy as an independent at the 2021 London mayoral election (which had been scheduled for 2020, before being postponed) but Mullins did not appear on the ballot paper. In March 2018, Mullins said he would financially support the Liberal Democrats to support their campaign to prevent Brexit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Mullins

If a party chooses to chase retired homeowners, that's a valid choice and overall an electorally sound one. But it has consequences.
    I think the Tory brand is trashed beyond recovery for about a decade in London.

Here is Susan Hall AM's latest selfie. Look at the kissy-kissy-doggie.

But fail completely to comment on the antisocial pavement parkers all the way up the street forcing wheelchair users, pram / buggy pushers and mobility scooter users into the traffic. Except that if there is no convenient drop kerb they will unable to turn around and will be stranded.

• Options
    "OPINION
    DAVID BROOKS
    What if We’re the Bad Guys Here?

In this story we anti-Trumpers are the good guys, the forces of progress and enlightenment. The Trumpers are reactionary bigots and authoritarians. Many Republicans support Trump no matter what, according to this story, because at the end of the day he’s still the bigot in chief, the embodiment of their resentments, and that’s what matters to them most.

I partly agree with this story; but it’s also a monument to elite self-satisfaction.

So let me try another story on you. I ask you to try on a vantage point in which we anti-Trumpers are not the eternal good guys. In fact, we’re the bad guys."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/opinion/trump-meritocracy-educated.html
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited August 2023
    There isn't a climate emergency. The change in terminology could have been predicted, though. Less so the change from global warming to climate change. Next the line is bound to be do this or go extinct. Then it will be we're so sorry but some of us have to take one for the team.

To try to stop the climate changing is to be a Cnut. (In the monarchist sense.)
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,019
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

There must be one somewhere, a successful and well-known London businessperson willing to stand against an unpopular mayor. My first thought would be someone like Charlie Mullins, if he’s not enjoying his money too much, then I realised that he’s now 70 so probably wouldn’t want to do it.
    Besides,

Pimlico Plumbers donated £22,735 to the Conservative Party in 2015, and Mullins donated more than £48,000, in the two years to July 2017. He was a business adviser to David Cameron and George Osborne, and has been a vocal critic of Brexit.

In January 2018, Mullins announced that he would no longer be a Conservative Party donor, and declared his candidacy as an independent at the 2021 London mayoral election (which had been scheduled for 2020, before being postponed) but Mullins did not appear on the ballot paper. In March 2018, Mullins said he would financially support the Liberal Democrats to support their campaign to prevent Brexit.

If a party chooses to chase retired homeowners, that's a valid choice and overall an electorally sound one. But it has consequences.

But fail completely to comment on the antisocial pavement parkers all the way up the street forcing wheelchair users, pram / buggy pushers and mobility scooter users into the traffic. Except that if there is no convenient drop kerb they will unable to turn around and will be stranded.

Isn't there a blanket pavement parking ban in London?

Rolling out in Scotland later this year.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Wrong

NEAR THE END OF 2015, Britain's last deep coal mine, Kellingley, in North Yorkshire, saw its last shift of workers come up from underground. In an interview earlier that year, while running to be leader of the Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn raised the idea of reopening some of Britain's collieries

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1467-923X.13000#:~:text=Corbyn and the coal mines,-NEAR THE END&text=In an interview earlier that,we can develop coal technology.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/labour-leadership-contender-jeremy-corbyn-9817411
    'New Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has told BBC Wales he does not want to reopen coal mines.

In an interview in August, Mr Corbyn said in future "high quality coal" in south Wales could be mined again.

But he told Radio Wales re-opening mines was not his policy. "It was one question about one mine, I'm not in favour of reopening the mines."

He said he wanted a "sustainable energy development policy, a green development in all aspects of energy generation".

• Options
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Besides,

Looks to me like a load of overgrown bushes are the real problem?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Besides,

And the unpruned hedge. Just as bad, esp. if it is thorny.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Besides,

The Tories haven't won most seats in London at a general election since 1992.

They can occasionally win the Mayoralty as Boris proved but London as a whole is safe Labour now
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

I'm very surprised and sad to hear that. Hope you have exciting future plans?
  • Options
    edited August 2023

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

DAMMIT!

Most high streets now are coffee shops, takeaways, hairdressers, nail bars and estate agents mainly
  • Options
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Besides,

IS there no end to the evil of the Blue team ?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

It was a comment on viewcode being a jinx.

We're open (to everyone else) as usual!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Wrong

'New Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has told BBC Wales he does not want to reopen coal mines.

In an interview in August, Mr Corbyn said in future "high quality coal" in south Wales could be mined again.

But he told Radio Wales re-opening mines was not his policy. "It was one question about one mine, I'm not in favour of reopening the mines."

He said he wanted a "sustainable energy development policy, a green development in all aspects of energy generation".

He back pedalled after a massive backlash.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,923
    Peck said:

There isn't a climate emergency. The change in terminology could have been predicted, though. Less so the change from global warming to climate change. Next the line is bound to be do this or go extinct.

That’s another old denialism chestnut. “We can’t stop the climate changing.”

The Cnut analogy works if king cnut had himself changed the environment so much that the tide came in way higher than before, and then claimed he couldn’t change it back.

Mitigating climate change is about reducing the amount we are changing the climate, not increasing it.
  • Options
    Peck said:

There isn't a climate emergency. The change in terminology could have been predicted, though. Less so the change from global warming to climate change. Next the line is bound to be do this or go extinct.

At least we have got to the stage where people accept it is happening, and will continue to do so.

All you have left is arguments over semantics.

The positive externalities of mitigation are worth it, even if they don't have a big impact on global emissions and the rate at which temperature increases.

Investment in adaptation is almost certainly worth it, particularly for flooding on the east coast and air conditioning in hospitals.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

DAMMIT!

Most high streets now are coffee shops, takeaways, hairdressers, nail bars and estate agents mainly
    And Charidee shops and bookies.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,870
    edited August 2023

viewcode said:

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/CD137047/Boots-recoups-losses-as-post-tax-profits-rocket-to-15m
    It had been looking pasty, stock and footfall wise for a while.

But their prescription medicine stock checker was a godsend when I was struggling to source both the originally prescribed drugs and the re-prescribed alternative for an ear infection for my daughter recently. Saw the drug was in, checked with them and got it put aside at 8.30, grabbed the script from the chemist it was submitted in and was, with great relief, back at Boots, medicinev n hand at 8.45.

Shouldn't have been necessary but was very glad of it, having been lukewarm on Boots for a few years.

The other shocker on the quest was the in-store Lloyd's at Sainsbury's in the course of packing up, in-store pharmacy seemingly never to return (I think that may be national).
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    Taz said:

I'm sadly not suprised. I use one local to me for homebrewing stuff and other bits and bod and this year they just have not had the stock so I have been going to Boyes instead.
    Shopping in a high street is so last century
  • Options
    Taz said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Besides,

Pavement parking is a huge deal for disabled people and people wheeling prams around. It's become more prevalent as people buy SUVs that require more space, and have the clearance to mount the kerb.

Obstruction of a pavement is an offence UK wide.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Eabhal said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Besides,

Pavement parking is a huge deal for disabled people and people wheeling prams around. It's become more prevalent as people buy SUVs that require more space, and have the clearance to mount the kerb.

The ensuing damage to the pavement is also a plague. But (as usual) externalities, so fuck the ratepayer.

Edit: not to mention the old person who falls over as a result.
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    viewcode said:

Can you nip into Sports Direct please, if you can spare the time.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

My local one isn't in a high street.

However, I am being pedantic, your point is right. Most of my home brew stuff I get online, I just get top ups from there, Most of my other purchases are online

Working from home a chunk of the time just makes it alot easier.

They have gone into administration before and come back. Not so sure they will this time.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

It was a comment on viewcode being a jinx.

We're open (to everyone else) as usual!
    Glad to hear it.
  • Options
    Peck said:

There isn't a climate emergency. The change in terminology could have been predicted, though. Less so the change from global warming to climate change. Next the line is bound to be do this or go extinct. Then it will be we're so sorry but some of us have to take one for the team.

All species go extinct at some point its not a big deal, something else will evolve
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Which is weird, because the massive new St James' Quarter in Edinburgh is essentially a pedestrianised High Street.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Peck said:

All species go extinct at some point its not a big deal, something else will evolve
    From your photo, you seem to be, er, taking quite a long time?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Besides,

The ensuing damage to the pavement is also a plague. But (as usual) externalities, so fuck the ratepayer.

Edit: not to mention the old person who falls over as a result.
    And me, the council tax payer, who had to pay for the personal injury claim.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Which is weird, because the massive new St James' Quarter in Edinburgh is essentially a pedestrianised High Street.
    Well the scots have always been a century behind. I dont expect it to be more than a decade before its full of vacant shop spaces
  • Options
    Peck said:

You have to ask what point Cnut thought he was making, mind. How can you be king of England and Denmark and take a look at the fens and the Wadden sea and the several dozen major ports you are king of and not notice that actually kings can absolutely stop the tide coming in?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Peck said:

From your photo, you seem to be, er, taking quite a long time?
    I plan on being dead sometime in the next 30 years so relax
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Well the scots have always been a century behind. I dont expect it to be more than a decade before its full of vacant shop spaces
    I think they key thing for that development is the close proximity to a train station, bus station and tram stop. It's rammed.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Besides,

Isn't there a blanket pavement parking ban in London?

Rolling out in Scotland later this year.
    The default is that you can't pavement park, but there may be marked bays where it is permitted. More significantly, if the rules aren't enforced, it becomes de facto permitted.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,562
    Shows how the dwindling band of aging con members is totally out of touch with reality frankly.

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,814
    Pro_Rata said:

viewcode said:

It had been looking pasty, stock and footfall wise for a while.

But their prescription medicine stock checker was a godsend when I was struggling to source both the originally prescribed drugs and the re-prescribed alternative for an ear infection for my daughter recently. Saw the drug was in, checked with them and got it put aside at 8.30, grabbed the script from the chemist it was submitted in and was, with great relief, back at Boots, medicinev n hand at 8.45.

Shouldn't have been necessary but was very glad of it, having been lukewarm on Boots for a few years.

The other shocker on the quest was the in-store Lloyd's at Sainsbury's in the course of packing up, in-store pharmacy seemingly never to return (I think that may be national).
    Yep

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/lloyds-pharmacy-sainsbury-shut-down-b2356317.html
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,976
    Eabhal said:

Peck said:

At least we have got to the stage where people accept it is happening, and will continue to do so.

All you have left is arguments over semantics.

The positive externalities of mitigation are worth it, even if they don't have a big impact on global emissions and the rate at which temperature increases.

Investment in adaptation is almost certainly worth it, particularly for flooding on the east coast and air conditioning in hospitals.
    Yes. We need to invest in mitigation AND reduce CO2 output AND improve energy efficiency AND investigate carbon capture AND reduce methane output AND… We’re past simple solutions. We need all the solutions.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

I think they key thing for that development is the close proximity to a train station, bus station and tram stop. It's rammed.
    The move to shopping online will kill it, trying to fight the inevitable I am afraid
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"OPINION
    DAVID BROOKS
    What if We’re the Bad Guys Here?

In this story we anti-Trumpers are the good guys, the forces of progress and enlightenment. The Trumpers are reactionary bigots and authoritarians. Many Republicans support Trump no matter what, according to this story, because at the end of the day he’s still the bigot in chief, the embodiment of their resentments, and that’s what matters to them most.

I partly agree with this story; but it’s also a monument to elite self-satisfaction.

So let me try another story on you. I ask you to try on a vantage point in which we anti-Trumpers are not the eternal good guys. In fact, we’re the bad guys."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/opinion/trump-meritocracy-educated.html

What if David Brooks is the monument to elite self-satisfaction here ?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,634
    Is Wilkos closing due to the lack of a feelgood factor?
This discussion has been closed.