Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It has happened at last – Trump indicted – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,316
    edited August 2023

Foxy said:

Trump is acting like a mad gang boss with a personal vendetta and Americans are crazy enough to re-elect him. The Vox pops from Trump rallies are so full of delusional conspiracy stuff that 4 more years of Trump are a nightmare that looks likely to happen.

I don't bet much on American politics because it is too bonkers to predict. It would be fun if it didn't matter, but it does.

Yep, to unite the two threads on here currently - Putin knows he just has to wait for a Trump presidential election victory and the entire picture changes. And Trump has a great chance to win. Biden is a decent to good president, he will be an utterly disastrous candidate.

All those saying they're as bad as each other will never admit how important Biden has been to helping Ukraine fend off Putin. And they’ll blame France and Germany when Trump scales US involvement back.

But the blame game won’t change the facts on the ground. Without substantial and continued US aid, Ukraine will be on the back foot very quickly. That will have massive implications for all of us, while emboldening China in East Asia generally and with regards to Taiwan specifically.

Morning SO

just noticed from yesterday, have you moved to Devon permanently or are you just on hols ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667

Foxy said:

Trump is acting like a mad gang boss with a personal vendetta and Americans are crazy enough to re-elect him. The Vox pops from Trump rallies are so full of delusional conspiracy stuff that 4 more years of Trump are a nightmare that looks likely to happen.

I don't bet much on American politics because it is too bonkers to predict. It would be fun if it didn't matter, but it does.

Yep, to unite the two threads on here currently - Putin knows he just has to wait for a Trump presidential election victory and the entire picture changes. And Trump has a great chance to win. Biden is a decent to good president, he will be an utterly disastrous candidate.

All those saying they're as bad as each other will never admit how important Biden has been to helping Ukraine fend off Putin. And they’ll blame France and Germany when Trump scales US involvement back.

But the blame game won’t change the facts on the ground. Without substantial and continued US aid, Ukraine will be on the back foot very quickly. That will have massive implications for all of us, while emboldening China in East Asia generally and with regards to Taiwan specifically.
    Yes. And I fear people who think that Trump will somehow backtrack and support Ukraine are not seeing things reasonably. Trump will pull the plug on Ukraine's aid from the US, and threaten Europe with NATO cuts unless they do the same. That will force Ukraine to the negotiating table at terms favourable to Russia, and Trump will be able to call himself a peacemaker, unlike the warmonger Biden.

It fits his psyche perfectly.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,488
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

I’ve got a horrible feeling Russia is slowly turning this war around

It is absorbing Ukraine’s attacks. Which essentially go nowhere. It counter attacks in the north and east. There is absolutely no sign of Russia “running out of missiles and drones” - it sent dozens last night and this morning. It is obviously getting new supplies

It is strangling Ukraine’s economy by bombarding the Black Sea coast. It is grinding down the Ukrainian army which has much more limited manpower than Russia

I don’t want to be pessimistic. I want Ukraine to win. But right now in Ukraine it *feels* bad

You in UFO territory. They seem to be heading for Crimea from what I read, 20 km or so and they hit the coast and the Russians in south and Crimea are toast. They are slowly advancing in north as well, Russia are f**ked long term regardless.
    Russia is storing up long term horrors. But the rest of your comment is delusional
    We shall see for sure.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,143

Foxy said:

Yes. And I fear people who think that Trump will somehow backtrack and support Ukraine are not seeing things reasonably. Trump will pull the plug on Ukraine's aid from the US, and threaten Europe with NATO cuts unless they do the same. That will force Ukraine to the negotiating table at terms favourable to Russia, and Trump will be able to call himself a peacemaker, unlike the warmonger Biden.

It fits his psyche perfectly.
    Yes. The “Art of the Deal”
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,213

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

As a Watergate historian, it’s worth noting that nothing Nixon did—and he had plenty of crimes and conspiracies, involving more than 60 people criminally charged—approached the scale and severity of Trump’s assault on American democracy.
    https://twitter.com/vermontgmg/status/1686531761352609792?s=20

Good point. Viewed at this remove, Nixon's crimes appear almost quaint in comparison
    This isnt a crime story its a politics one

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/01/trump-biden-2024-presidential-election-white-house-poll/

The Democrats have opened Pandoras box and this could go anywhere . THe US is screwed
    "Lock her up" was shouted by who, again?

And, it's the Democrats fault that Donald Trump allegedly committed crimes?

You can call a "pox on both your houses" with some degree of accuracy. But to point to the Dems and say the ball is entirely in your court - as you are doing - is willfully blind.

Now, I really, really hate the idea that governments use their political power to pursue political opponents. (Like Trump and the IRS vs Comey, for example.) But at the same time, should your political position shield you from all legal liability?

What of the upcoming tax/wirefraud case in NY? Trump valued properties at one price for the tax authorities and another for mortgages. And this wasn't a 10% difference, it was a multiple. People go to jail for that kind of thing all the time. Should he not be prosecuted, solely because he was President?
    What is it about Trump that make otherwise sensible people lose their marbles ?

Hounding Trump will achieve precisely nothing except to make him more popular with his supporters and make diviisions in US society deeper.

As for the legal guff, Hilary is still walking free and has never been near a court nd I dont think anyome seriously expects the Biden\Hunter mess to be investigated before an election.

It must have escaped your notice that Congress have been doing just that - and appear to have turned up nothing at all that implicates the President.

His son has been charged with crimes - having faced more Congressional investigation than any private citizen in the last couple of decades -and is currently having his plea deal reviewed by a Republican appointed judge.
    Unlike various members of Trump's family, he's never held any position in the administration.

Your both sides-ism is feeble.
    It really should be feeble but its actually powerful enough that it may play a part in the end of US democracy. It gives "respectable" Republicans enough cover to hold their noses and vote for a quite mad and dangerous President.
    Some, sure.
    I note that it's the Democrats that are calling for the Congressional report to be published.
    The Republicans seem less enthusiastic, as the lack of evidence might detract from their rhetoric.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069
    edited August 2023
    Trump seems to get indicted all the time. This seems a weak example of the breed, because it deals with events that have already taken place in public, and which everyone has their own opinion on. A court verdict calling Trump a conspirator (or whatever) is not going to move anyone's opinion on this, or Trump, at all.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 893
    To combine two conversation topics, the biggest threat to Ukraine defeating Russia is Trump.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,970

Trump seems to get indicted all the time. This seems a weak example of the breed, because it deals with events that have already taken place in public, and which everyone has their own opinion on. A court verdict calling Trump a conspirator (or whatever) is not going to move anyone's opinion on this, or Trump, at all.

It might move him to jail.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Morning SO

just noticed from yesterday, have you moved to Devon permanently or are you just on hols ?
    Greetings AB. Semi-retired now and living the good life in Sidmouth, where my wife and I have lowered the average age considerably! Back in Leamington quite a bit, though, to see the kids. Hope all is well with you!

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069

From where, as I understand it, he can still run for President.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Morning SO

Greetings AB. Semi-retired now and living the good life in Sidmouth, where my wife and I have lowered the average age considerably! Back in Leamington quite a bit, though, to see the kids. Hope all is well with you!

Cheers SO, hope all goes well for you, youre in a nice part of the world.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,404
    darkage said:

The countries that back Ukraine are unlikely to support an endless war.

Everyone has their limit, of course, but I think many people in Western Europe underestimate the determination in Eastern Europe to defeat Russia now - to avoid having to do so later.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,757

Watch this if you think there is any chance he's not toast.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqa9Mg2YdiY
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,953

ANDREW NEIL: Why I'm proud to be a 'TERF' and join JK Rowling on the front line in the gender wars

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-12362329/ANDREW-NEIL-Im-proud-TERF-join-JK-Rowling-line-gender-wars.html

Oooh, excellent, that would be the same Andrew Neil when editor of The Sunday Times, said and published articles that said HIV/AIDS only impacts the gays and doesn't impact heterosexuals.

He was a dinosaur then and still a dinosaur now.
    I protest. Unfair, grossly so, to the poor dinosaurs.
  • Options
    V funny

The niece of the President of the Somalian Athletics Federation is “unexpectedly” selected for an athletics championship

https://twitter.com/egaraad_/status/1686362369306288128?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options

Foxy said:

Morning SO

Nice area, the Triassic-and-Jurassic coast.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332

Depends on whether losing voting rights might make him ineligible to run, and that would in turn depend on where and what he was locked up for, if he is.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,843
    Sandpit said:

His supporters will (and are) already dismissing it as politically motivated bulls**t, designed to cover for the corrupt Biden family, and because they know he’s the greatest ever President who will win again, which is why the Establishment wants to get him of the ballot.

Whether that sentiment resonates with the wider US electorate, on the other hand, is a question best left to the reader.

It won't. It will soon dawn on all but his deluded base that he can't be elected president again, that it's simply not tenable. The polls will start to reflect this and then ... well we'll see.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

His supporters will (and are) already dismissing it as politically motivated bulls**t, designed to cover for the corrupt Biden family, and because they know he’s the greatest ever President who will win again, which is why the Establishment wants to get him of the ballot.

Whether that sentiment resonates with the wider US electorate, on the other hand, is a question best left to the reader.

It won't. It will soon dawn on all but his deluded base that he can't be elected president again, that it's simply not tenable. The polls will start to reflect this and then ... well we'll see.
    What would be really funny is if he loses in the primaries.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

From the NYT. This does not sound like “winning”, from a Ukrainian perspective

“For the last two months, as Ukrainian troops have tried to break through Russian defenses in a broad counteroffensive to seize back occupied terrain in southern Ukraine, their units have run into dense minefields and heavy Russian artillery fire and drone attacks.

“Each mile is a bloody fight as the counteroffensive has progressed painfully slowly, with units coming up against dug-in Russian defenses and taking heavy casualties. Troops spearheading the offensive have breached the first line of defense in areas in recent days, potentially opening the way for a deeper assault.

“Positioned close to the front lines, the stabilization points, temporary medical posts where patients are stabilized for onward evacuation, have been receiving a constant inflow of soldiers wounded in the fighting. The numbers have been “colossal,” said a medic from the center where the three men from the 110th Brigade were treated.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/world/europe/ukraine-war-casualties-wounded.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Colossal? Ukraine cannot afford “colossal”

So where does this go. Stalemate while the west ships in more arms and hope for a breakthrough ? Peace negotiations and some compromise ?

Ideally we would all like a swift Ukrainian win and Russia to replace Putin with someone less malign. That seems increasingly unlikely.
    The counter offensive could ultimately work; it is too early to conclude it has failed. If it doesn't then the likely outcome is a negotiated stalemate. I don't believe that the current government in Russia could agree a compromise/peace deal. There are some advantages of a stalemate instead of a 'peace deal' - mainly that Ukraine can maintain its readiness to defend itself, rather than relying on dubious 'assurances' from Russia.
    A agreed stalemate seems likely to me. A muddy armistice

@Sandpit is right that the Ukrainians have no desire to cede an inch of territory to the Russians. The trouble is Ukraine is simply running out of soldiers. If the men dying in the trenches are in their 50s - even late 50s - that is BAD

I fear an exhausted Ukraine will be forced to agree a truce over the winter which may then extend for many months or years as both sides regroup. Russia will keep most of what it’s got - Russify it - and count it as a bloody victory

It ain’t pretty. But that’s my guess
    And that will lead to the same thing happening in five years, with Ukraine being invaded again under some pathetic excuse. Putin, and people like him in Russia, want Ukraine.

The 'stalemate' argument is *not* an argument for peace, in the medium or long term.
    Its not something that anyone wants. It is just a prediction of what will happen if 'beat back Russia' fails. The latter strategy worked for a while but may have now reached its limits.

Quite. I desperately want Ukraine to win. But I see what I see

The MoD generally adopts a positive attitude to the Ukrainian cause. Here is its latest map of the front lines. This does not scream “imminent pivotal breakthrough” to me

Of course that blogger upthread might be right and Ukraine is doing much better than this under the radar. Let’s hope so

It's in the nature of many things that there are often incremental changes that are not obvious on the surface, that accumulate over time, until a breaking point is reached, and then dramatic things happen.

You see this with some types of materials. You see it with the finances of individuals, companies and countries. We have seen it with the Russian Army, and I hope we will see it again.

It's impossible for us to know whether the Russians are a few days from breaking, weeks, months, or longer. We would be seeing similar things now in whichever case.

All I would say is that we have seen the Russians realise they are nearing their limit before, and they have retreated - from around Kyiv and the north and from the right bank - and we have seen the Russians surprised and the Ukrainians achieve a breakthrough - as at Kharkiv.

So there is every reason to expect that the Ukrainians can be successful again, and it is far too soon to panic.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,008
    I fled to Sidmouth - ok, Exmouth - upon the partial relaxation of lockdown in April 2021.

A massive amount of potential but the seafront felt kind of elderly and tatty.

Shame about the unsightly caravan park at Sandy Bay, which in an ideal world would be protected landscape.

I heard a lot of Brummie down there and it dawned on me that it was essentially the nearest coast to Birmingham (apart from South Wales maybe?)
  • Options

Watch this if you think there is any chance he's not toast.
    When is the trial likely to take place?
  • Options
    London is going to be 16C max with torrential cold downpours this weekend

I think I prefer missiles
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

What would be really funny is if he loses in the primaries.
    Can you see him taking that lying down? Could he run as a third party candidate?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

As a Watergate historian, it’s worth noting that nothing Nixon did—and he had plenty of crimes and conspiracies, involving more than 60 people criminally charged—approached the scale and severity of Trump’s assault on American democracy.

Good point. Viewed at this remove, Nixon's crimes appear almost quaint in comparison

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/01/trump-biden-2024-presidential-election-white-house-poll/

The Democrats have opened Pandoras box and this could go anywhere . THe US is screwed

You can call a "pox on both your houses" with some degree of accuracy. But to point to the Dems and say the ball is entirely in your court - as you are doing - is willfully blind.

Now, I really, really hate the idea that governments use their political power to pursue political opponents. (Like Trump and the IRS vs Comey, for example.) But at the same time, should your political position shield you from all legal liability?

What of the upcoming tax/wirefraud case in NY? Trump valued properties at one price for the tax authorities and another for mortgages. And this wasn't a 10% difference, it was a multiple. People go to jail for that kind of thing all the time. Should he not be prosecuted, solely because he was President?

Hounding Trump will achieve precisely nothing except to make him more popular with his supporters and make diviisions in US society deeper.

As for the legal guff, Hilary is still walking free and has never been near a court nd I dont think anyome seriously expects the Biden\Hunter mess to be investigated before an election.

So you're saying laws actually should not apply to him?

That's his attitude, certainly, and that's what's got him into trouble.

Nobody is 'hounding' him, they're enforcing the multiple laws he's deliberately broken for his own gain.
    Im saying the laws should apply to everyone and not just one individual. The US justice system is highly partisan and this is using the law to hamper an opponent who it appears cant be beaten by normal means.

That matter alone says what a poor position the Dems have, Worse now that the principle has been established if Trump were to win the election he can quite happily clear out the DoJ, pack it with his place men like Giuliani and lock up who he pleases as the Dems arent exactly choirboys.

And for the record I think that would be a total bag of shit too,
    Trump tried to use the justice system to hound his opponents. It didn't work for him because ultimately the law-breaking of say, Hilary Clinton was quite low level. She should not have done what she did, but she was stupid rather than malign.

Her husband was, in case you've forgotten, impeached for his crimes although he wasn't in the end convicted.
    Her husbands case I would actually say was the start of this whole sorry saga, The GOP tried to nobble Clinton by foul means and that set off the tit for tat escalation we have seen ever since.

As for Trump using the justice system, well as you say nobody got convicted. But I dont agree with that either , someone somewhere has to put the genie back in the bottle it just wont be either of the two presidential candidates.
    Sigh.

The point is he *tried* to use the justice system to nobble his opponents and he failed because what happened wasn't ultimately significant enough to secure an indictment so the lawyers concerned told him 'no.' Had Clinton not handed over her email server, however belatedly and reluctantly, it might have been different. But that was not his call. Just as this is not Biden's. Or anyone in the government.

What's happening now is they *are* indicting him for multiple crimes he has not only committed but is repeatedly doubling down on.

And if you genuinely think January 6th was bad policing, you are profoundly ignorant of what happened. Again, read the indictment. How would 'bad policing,' for example, have led to a crowd gathering at Trump's urging that wanted to lynch the Vice President?

And if you don't think that, well...
    No the point is he has been accused of it. He hasnt been convicted of anything,

And he has been accused of it not directly after the event when logically the state would lock up a real and present danger, but just before an election and by a partisan justice system. You draw one conclusion I draw another.

As for the policing issue London regulary gets trashed by people who shout down with the govt but these are riots not coups. And our police despite their critics handle them quite well. And just to wind you up even further J6 wasnt even a decent riot, I grew up in Ulster so I know what a riot looks like there were no petrol bombs, no stones no tear gas. Because all of those thinsg would have required organisation and hard work and Trump is too chaotic .
    He has been INDICTED. That is the difference.

As for your last somewhat incoherent and illogical paragraph, put differently you are saying that should something not be exactly like your memories of a riot in Ulster it must not be a riot and therefore can't be a coup.

We call that 'chopping logic.'

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

I think as one of the two people most affected on here by this phenomenon perhaps you could tell us?
  • Options

So I believe. Can he then pardon himself?

Question though: say he is convicted, put in jail, still wins the election, but cannot attend the inauguration. Does he still become president and thus able to pardon himself?
  • Options
    We are told that the new Trump indictment is the real deal, but I still can’t quite see the smoking gun.

It seems clear that Ukraine will be an election issue next year, and a Trumpian promise to negotiate an end seems totally plausible and even popular.

American support for Ukraine seems “a mile wide and an inch deep”.
  • Options
    I am currently in London.
    JFC.
  • Options

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

“For the last two months, as Ukrainian troops have tried to break through Russian defenses in a broad counteroffensive to seize back occupied terrain in southern Ukraine, their units have run into dense minefields and heavy Russian artillery fire and drone attacks.

“Each mile is a bloody fight as the counteroffensive has progressed painfully slowly, with units coming up against dug-in Russian defenses and taking heavy casualties. Troops spearheading the offensive have breached the first line of defense in areas in recent days, potentially opening the way for a deeper assault.

“Positioned close to the front lines, the stabilization points, temporary medical posts where patients are stabilized for onward evacuation, have been receiving a constant inflow of soldiers wounded in the fighting. The numbers have been “colossal,” said a medic from the center where the three men from the 110th Brigade were treated.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/world/europe/ukraine-war-casualties-wounded.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

So where does this go. Stalemate while the west ships in more arms and hope for a breakthrough ? Peace negotiations and some compromise ?

Ideally we would all like a swift Ukrainian win and Russia to replace Putin with someone less malign. That seems increasingly unlikely.
    The counter offensive could ultimately work; it is too early to conclude it has failed. If it doesn't then the likely outcome is a negotiated stalemate. I don't believe that the current government in Russia could agree a compromise/peace deal. There are some advantages of a stalemate instead of a 'peace deal' - mainly that Ukraine can maintain its readiness to defend itself, rather than relying on dubious 'assurances' from Russia.

@Sandpit is right that the Ukrainians have no desire to cede an inch of territory to the Russians. The trouble is Ukraine is simply running out of soldiers. If the men dying in the trenches are in their 50s - even late 50s - that is BAD

I fear an exhausted Ukraine will be forced to agree a truce over the winter which may then extend for many months or years as both sides regroup. Russia will keep most of what it’s got - Russify it - and count it as a bloody victory

And that will lead to the same thing happening in five years, with Ukraine being invaded again under some pathetic excuse. Putin, and people like him in Russia, want Ukraine.

The 'stalemate' argument is *not* an argument for peace, in the medium or long term.
    Its not something that anyone wants. It is just a prediction of what will happen if 'beat back Russia' fails. The latter strategy worked for a while but may have now reached its limits.

The MoD generally adopts a positive attitude to the Ukrainian cause. Here is its latest map of the front lines. This does not scream “imminent pivotal breakthrough” to me

Of course that blogger upthread might be right and Ukraine is doing much better than this under the radar. Let’s hope so

It's in the nature of many things that there are often incremental changes that are not obvious on the surface, that accumulate over time, until a breaking point is reached, and then dramatic things happen.

You see this with some types of materials. You see it with the finances of individuals, companies and countries. We have seen it with the Russian Army, and I hope we will see it again.

It's impossible for us to know whether the Russians are a few days from breaking, weeks, months, or longer. We would be seeing similar things now in whichever case.

All I would say is that we have seen the Russians realise they are nearing their limit before, and they have retreated - from around Kyiv and the north and from the right bank - and we have seen the Russians surprised and the Ukrainians achieve a breakthrough - as at Kharkiv.

So there is every reason to expect that the Ukrainians can be successful again, and it is far too soon to panic.
    Ukraine is going to run out of people. And limbs

“In Ukraine, a Surge in Amputations Reveals the Human Cost of Russia’s War:
    Tens of thousands of Ukrainians have lost limbs since the start of the war, according to previously unreported estimates
    wsj.com/articles/in-uk… via @WSJ”

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/1686336424499425281?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    In other Triassic news, I once stayed in the Landmark Trust house at Branscombe. I did the idyllic trek along the cliffs to Beer, while my wife generously looked after the then-three-year old.
  • Options
    Renewables are about to overtake coal as the world’s largest source of electricity generation. It could happen as early as 2024
    https://twitter.com/scienceisstrat1/status/1686102436321128448
  • Options
    Leon said:

We are heading to Sligo today for a wedding tomorrow. The wedding is due to be held outside. With the wind chill from the north-westerlies it will feel like 9C.

Fortunately I am prepared and have packed my subtly patriotic blue, white and red shawl.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,675
    Waiting outside my flat in the rain. E.on changed my meter two days ago and now we have a gas leak. Just 12 flats to evacuate.

Nice one.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Morning SO

Cheers SO, hope all goes well for you, youre in a nice part of the world.

Cheers - yep, East Devon is a bit overlooked compared to other parts of the county, but the country around here is stunning. Could do with a few more decent pubs, though. Food and drink wise we are a total backwater. But that will come, I reckon.

• Options

Foxy said:

Biden wasn't a disastrous candidate in 2020 and he beat Trump, for which the whole world was thankful (with the exception of Russia).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Morning SO

Great walking country.

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Waiting outside my flat in the rain. E.on changed my meter two days ago and now we have a gas leak. Just 12 flats to evacuate.

Nice one.

Seriously considering a heat pump now.

How would it work for a tenement? A big one stuck on the roof for all of us?
  • Options

We are told that the new Trump indictment is the real deal, but I still can’t quite see the smoking gun.

It seems clear that Ukraine will be an election issue next year, and a Trumpian promise to negotiate an end seems totally plausible and even popular.

@logical_song provided this link earlier:

It's a bit laboured but in summary: Pence (allegedly) will be called to testify that Trump asked him to reject certain states' electoral college votes. When Pence refused, Trump told him "You're too honest", which shows Trump knew the there was no justification to reject those votes.

I think.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,424
    edited August 2023

I fled to Sidmouth - ok, Exmouth - upon the partial relaxation of lockdown in April 2021.

Shame about the unsightly caravan park at Sandy Bay, which in an ideal world would be protected landscape.

I heard a lot of Brummie down there and it dawned on me that it was essentially the nearest coast to Birmingham (apart from South Wales maybe?)

That honour traditionally goes to Weston-super-Mud. Whether it's geographically quite the closest, or just because of the main road, I don't remember.

Now Weston's a proper dump.

The Exmouth to Starcross ferry is nice, as is Starcross itself.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,615
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

www.liveuamap.com
    www.deepstatemap.com
    https://nitter.net/War_mapper

The latter's most recent update says that 0.01% of Ukraine has been freed since the end of may2023. Which is not good.

I am not so concerned (although hardly relaxed!) about the situation. The advance south of Orkhiv is proceeding and may hit the coast by next year. Leon's point about manpower is true but countries can and do do this. It is a WW1 war, not a Desert Storm war: progress is slow, casualties are high, the grind grinds. This war will continue for years (my head canon says 2022-2025). Talk of a breakthrough, although pleasant, should be resisted because unpredictable.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Nice one.

Would certainly be the most efficient approach, if you can arrange the costs spilt fairly.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,990
    The problem with this indictment is that it should have come 18 months ago so that we were already at, or even past, the trial. The delays mean that what we have are serious allegations but no proven facts or findings. This gives Trump's supporters some wriggle room. Already they talk about the weaponization of the justice system and make out they are the victims.

The US constitution, which does not deserve 1% of the praise lavished upon it, has once again been found wanting. It assumes that the President will act honourably, or, if not, Congress and the Senate will act honourably to uphold the rule of law. They didn't and they should be ashamed but, of course, they are not.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Renewables are about to overtake coal as the world’s largest source of electricity generation. It could happen as early as 2024
    https://twitter.com/scienceisstrat1/status/1686102436321128448

What is striking about that is the huge increase in renewables is only keeping pace with the huge increase in electricity supply overall, so that fossil fuel use is stable. Renewable expansion is going to have to accelerate some to keep up with the switch to electric in surface transport, ongoing expansion of electricity supply in India, China and Africa, and to reduce use of coal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Nobody is 'hounding' him, they're enforcing the multiple laws he's deliberately broken for his own gain.
    Im saying the laws should apply to everyone and not just one individual. The US justice system is highly partisan and this is using the law to hamper an opponent who it appears cant be beaten by normal means.

That matter alone says what a poor position the Dems have, Worse now that the principle has been established if Trump were to win the election he can quite happily clear out the DoJ, pack it with his place men like Giuliani and lock up who he pleases as the Dems arent exactly choirboys.

Trump tried to use the justice system to hound his opponents. It didn't work for him because ultimately the law-breaking of say, Hilary Clinton was quite low level. She should not have done what she did, but she was stupid rather than malign.

Her husband was, in case you've forgotten, impeached for his crimes although he wasn't in the end convicted.
    Her husbands case I would actually say was the start of this whole sorry saga, The GOP tried to nobble Clinton by foul means and that set off the tit for tat escalation we have seen ever since.

As for Trump using the justice system, well as you say nobody got convicted. But I dont agree with that either , someone somewhere has to put the genie back in the bottle it just wont be either of the two presidential candidates.
    Sigh.

The point is he *tried* to use the justice system to nobble his opponents and he failed because what happened wasn't ultimately significant enough to secure an indictment so the lawyers concerned told him 'no.' Had Clinton not handed over her email server, however belatedly and reluctantly, it might have been different. But that was not his call. Just as this is not Biden's. Or anyone in the government.

What's happening now is they *are* indicting him for multiple crimes he has not only committed but is repeatedly doubling down on.

And if you genuinely think January 6th was bad policing, you are profoundly ignorant of what happened. Again, read the indictment. How would 'bad policing,' for example, have led to a crowd gathering at Trump's urging that wanted to lynch the Vice President?

No the point is he has been accused of it. He hasnt been convicted of anything,

And he has been accused of it not directly after the event when logically the state would lock up a real and present danger, but just before an election and by a partisan justice system. You draw one conclusion I draw another.

As for the policing issue London regulary gets trashed by people who shout down with the govt but these are riots not coups. And our police despite their critics handle them quite well. And just to wind you up even further J6 wasnt even a decent riot, I grew up in Ulster so I know what a riot looks like there were no petrol bombs, no stones no tear gas. Because all of those thinsg would have required organisation and hard work and Trump is too chaotic .
    He has been INDICTED. That is the difference.

As for your last somewhat incoherent and illogical paragraph, put differently you are saying that should something not be exactly like your memories of a riot in Ulster it must not be a riot and therefore can't be a coup.

We call that 'chopping logic.'

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

I think as one of the two people most affected on here by this phenomenon perhaps you could tell us?
    Ive been indicted myself and had to go to court but never convicted because the charges were nonsense. In my case it was a french trade union trying it on for their own purposes. So so far Trump hasnt been convicted of anything, bar losing a civil case.

An indictment isnt a conviction unless youve decided hes guilty until proven innocent, which in its own way demonstrates the madness of a politicised justice system.

As for your second point Trump is like Brexit , people are so partisan about it they only eve believe one line of propaganda. There is very little room for standing back and looking at things in the round.

The democrats won the popular vote in the last 2 elections and on that basis should win the next one but as Ive said theyve opened Pandoras box so anything could happen.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Nice one.

Would certainly be the most efficient approach, if you can arrange the costs spilt fairly.
    This is where the government needs to get involved. Shared repairs etc are a nightmare as it is. Needs some sort of shared loan system for homeowner that's generous but mandatory.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Morning SO

Great walking country.

It is. We were down there some months back - not as far west as Sidmouth though, only as far as the Axe estuary (the tram ride through the birdy area being a regular treat when we go there, and I see one can get off in the middle of nowhere and birdwatch till the next tram). The newish Jurassic coast bus service looks very helpful for walkers though we didn't need it this time as it happens.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

That honour traditionally goes to Weston-super-Mud. Whether it's geographically quite the closest, or just because of the main road, I don't remember.

I did not get to Starcross.
    I was massively impressed with Topsham.
    That probably marks me down in some obscure code of etiquette.

It’s great countryside, like much of the UK.
    Its preservation among one of the densest populations in the world is one of the greatest but most undersung achievements of the last 100 years.
  • Options
    Leon said:

You over-egg an otherwise fair point - 21°C according to the Met Office on Friday and Sunday, but still poor for August.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,562
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Nice one.

You’d want to find a good installer. Signs of that include doing flow tests on the water supply, looking the insulation levels throughout the building and actually doing some calculations.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,844
    Newsflash: I am one of the many cyclists who make up the supposedly 10,000/day bikes along the Embankment. Absolutely tipping it down today and I had only half the right clothes. And even when I'm suited up days like these are miserable on a bike.

When people advocate for increased cycle usage in the UK they really do need to do it in conjunction with the British Meteorogical Office and a cold hard (and wet) dose of reality. They need to understand that a huge number of people are simply not going to get on a bike in these or, frankly, any other conditions.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Nice one.

There must be a local equivalent to one of these near you. Big message (as was mentioned yday esp by @NerysHughes): the building needs to be energy efficient before you start otherwise you're sunk.

https://bhesco.co.uk/heat-pumps-block-flats-brighton-hove-sussex#:~:text=In blocks of flats where,for an external fan unit.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

www.liveuamap.com
    www.deepstatemap.com

The latter's most recent update says that 0.01% of Ukraine has been freed since the end of may2023. Which is not good.

I am not so concerned (although hardly relaxed!) about the situation. The advance south of Orkhiv is proceeding and may hit the coast by next year. Leon's point about manpower is true but countries can and do do this. It is a WW1 war, not a Desert Storm war: progress is slow, casualties are high, the grind grinds. This war will continue for years (my head canon says 2022-2025). Talk of a breakthrough, although pleasant, should be resisted because unpredictable.
    Putin will be digging in waiting for Trump to rescue him.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Starcross is on the cycle path down to Dawlish and up to Exeter, but the place itself is a bit nothing really. Except for a couple of points the train line cuts off the place from the estuary. Also, has more than its quota of crazy old ladies.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,043

darkage said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

The problem is that it is very easy to find 'laws that have been broken' on the part of anyone, if you start digging. It is not realistic to maintain that this is an entirely neutral, apolitical process in any context.

I think the Trump thing is very difficult. 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. You either add fuel to his narrative of conspiracy, or tolerate his most outrageous abuses to try and hold the system together.

The risk is the strategy doesn't work. We get Trump, despite the prosecutions. And then what? It seems to me that this is a likely outcome.
    I agree, the best way to handle Trump is to ignore him, dont give him more stuff to grievance monger, The one plus in the whole affair is that he is getting too old to go on much longer, Just sit him out and start afresh.
    Au contraire;

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2023/07/20/trump-campaign-presidential-power-grab-2024-election/70430661007/
    Yes yes and hell start world war 3, turn america in to a fascist state bankrupt the economy etc. just like he didnt do in 2016. All that article tells you is the election campaign is getting in to gear.
    He's told you that he doesn't plan to make the same mistake he did last time. Wise up!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,189

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Nice one.

You’d want to find a good installer. Signs of that include doing flow tests on the water supply, looking the insulation levels throughout the building and actually doing some calculations.

And a 3-phase power supply…
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 700

So I believe. Can he then pardon himself?

Question though: say he is convicted, put in jail, still wins the election, but cannot attend the inauguration. Does he still become president and thus able to pardon himself?
    If he becomes president, he can pardon himself for federal.crimes such as yesterday's charges, but can't pardon himself for state offences (coming soon in Georgia).
    The inauguration is ceremonial, if he wins the election he takes office automatically on whatever the specified date is. He can take the oath of office in prison.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,335
    Leon said:

Current Ukrainian casualties, compared to Russian, are estimated at 1:1. That’s a good ratio for an attacker.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

carnforth said:

I did not get to Starcross.
    I was massively impressed with Topsham.
    That probably marks me down in some obscure code of etiquette.

It’s great countryside, like much of the UK.
    Its preservation among one of the densest populations in the world is one of the greatest but most undersung achievements of the last 100 years.
    Just thinking that about Topsham myself. Starcross has its merits (and a pumping station for the disastrous Brunelian atmospheric railway) and I like the location of the pub by the end of the Exeter Ship Canal somewhere near there. Didn't get in to try it out.

I came across this chap recently when reading about the Tr-Jurassic coast - Vaughan Cornish. Instrumental in helping preserve scenery in general and in Sidmouth in particular.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/621720
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The problem with this indictment is that it should have come 18 months ago so that we were already at, or even past, the trial. The delays mean that what we have are serious allegations but no proven facts or findings. This gives Trump's supporters some wriggle room. Already they talk about the weaponization of the justice system and make out they are the victims.

The US constitution, which does not deserve 1% of the praise lavished upon it, has once again been found wanting. It assumes that the President will act honourably, or, if not, Congress and the Senate will act honourably to uphold the rule of law. They didn't and they should be ashamed but, of course, they are not.

US justice is hugely expensive and moves ridiculously slowly. In my area, a single patent infringement suit can take well over a decade to get to a final outcome - first instance, then appeal after appeal after appeal, there always seems to be another angle. It bankrupts many people and makes makes a few very rich!

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Newsflash: I am one of the many cyclists who make up the supposedly 10,000/day bikes along the Embankment. Absolutely tipping it down today and I had only half the right clothes. And even when I'm suited up days like these are miserable on a bike.

When people advocate for increased cycle usage in the UK they really do need to do it in conjunction with the British Meteorogical Office and a cold hard (and wet) dose of reality. They need to understand that a huge number of people are simply not going to get on a bike in these or, frankly, any other conditions.

It rains more in Amsterdam than it does in London yet somehow they manage.

I’ll admit it is tipping it down right now though.
  • Options

darkage said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

The problem is that it is very easy to find 'laws that have been broken' on the part of anyone, if you start digging. It is not realistic to maintain that this is an entirely neutral, apolitical process in any context.

I think the Trump thing is very difficult. 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. You either add fuel to his narrative of conspiracy, or tolerate his most outrageous abuses to try and hold the system together.

The risk is the strategy doesn't work. We get Trump, despite the prosecutions. And then what? It seems to me that this is a likely outcome.
    I agree, the best way to handle Trump is to ignore him, dont give him more stuff to grievance monger, The one plus in the whole affair is that he is getting too old to go on much longer, Just sit him out and start afresh.
    Au contraire;

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2023/07/20/trump-campaign-presidential-power-grab-2024-election/70430661007/
    Yes yes and hell start world war 3, turn america in to a fascist state bankrupt the economy etc. just like he didnt do in 2016. All that article tells you is the election campaign is getting in to gear.
    He's told you that he doesn't plan to make the same mistake he did last time. Wise up!
    Youre just a sucker for taking politicians seriously.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    TOPPING said:

Oh here we go!

I had a look at the cycle stats for Amsterdam and they hardly vary with weather. In Edinburgh, on a monthly basis, there isn't much seasonal variation either.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,356

Sandpit said:

His supporters are batshit crazy. Hopefully the typical wider American electorate is not.

There is an uncanny amount of similarity between Jeremy Corbyn and Donald Trump, so perhaps like his British equivalent it will take a second electoral defeat in November next year to provide the stake through the heart that his form of politics so richly really needs.

Hopefully 6 January was the equivalent of Salisbury where the wider electorate saw his true colors [sic].
    You'd think so, but people who had stepped back from him on that day like Lindsey Graham are now even more firmly in his corner.

That seems to apply to general supporters as well, given a bunch of them don't try to excuse January 6th they practically call the rioters heroes.

Hopefully independents have seen his true colours, but how many of the 1 in 4 or 5 GOP voters who are against him won't vote for him? People who stood up to him trying to overturn the election are still voting for him!
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,642

Leon said:

You over-egg an otherwise fair point - 21°C according to the Met Office on Friday and Sunday, but still poor for August.
    21C is actually the long term August average max for Southern England. But we just forget how crap our historical climate is.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

I would have thought Rhyl and Prestatyn in North Wales would be next closest after Weston. Certainly for the northern parts of the West Midlands, Sutton Coldfield and Walsall.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Nice one.

Why the water supply?
  • Options
    He'll never see a day in prison. Smith has actually moved quite fast, but overall the wheels of justice have gone too slow and he's recaptured the party to protect him.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Morning SO

Great walking country.

It is. We were down there some months back - not as far west as Sidmouth though, only as far as the Axe estuary (the tram ride through the birdy area being a regular treat when we go there, and I see one can get off in the middle of nowhere and birdwatch till the next tram). The newish Jurassic coast bus service looks very helpful for walkers though we didn't need it this time as it happens.

I thought that bus service had been cut. A few have been recently. The buses don't run to Lyme Regis from Sidmouth anymore, which is a big shame as I'd planned to do the SW Coast Path walk from there back to base.

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,408
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

It must have escaped your notice that Congress have been doing just that - and appear to have turned up nothing at all that implicates the President.

His son has been charged with crimes - having faced more Congressional investigation than any private citizen in the last couple of decades -and is currently having his plea deal reviewed by a Republican appointed judge.
    Unlike various members of Trump's family, he's never held any position in the administration.

Your both sides-ism is feeble.
    Totally agree . This equivalence between Trump and Biden is jaw dropping.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887

For all catastrophists - our next door neighbour is the former chief scientific officer of the Met Office. Talking to her the other day, she was very concerned about the rising sea temperatures. She said it was unprecedented and no-one knows why it has happened. We know very little about what goes on under the water and how it reflects or affects our weather. It's not had a huge amount of coverage, but it could well be the most significant thing climate-wise that is currently talking place.

The Antarctic Sea Ice Anomaly is very worrying.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

www.liveuamap.com
    www.deepstatemap.com

That WSJ article I linked upthread says that Ukraine is experiencing amputations on a level comparable to the UK and Germany at the END of WW1

You can blithely say “the war will continue until 2025” but I reckon Ukraine cannot sustain this for more than another few months. Not at this level of attrition and loss

It’s basic maths. Ukraine has a population ~35m (when you factor in refugees and others that have fled). Russia’s is 140m. Russia is four times bigger and with a much larger economy and equivalent air power etc

The west has pumped in squillions in aid and materiel but in the end if you run out of soldiers that’s it
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    TimS said:

Leon said:

21C is actually the long term August average max for Southern England. But we just forget how crap our historical climate is.
    23°C is the August average daily max for London.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887

Leon said:

It rained on St Swithins Day, so it will be a rotten summer.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

I would have thought Rhyl and Prestatyn in North Wales would be next closest after Weston. Certainly for the northern parts of the West Midlands, Sutton Coldfield and Walsall.
    North Wales is essentially a littoral colony of Liverpool.

Brummies own mid-Wales, but there’s no easily accessible beach. It’s all about getting on the M5 for the denizens of Motor City.

• Options
    East Devon is very attractive. It’s where I was at university.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Sigh.

I note from the indictment that his own White House Chief of Staff has testified against him.
    The key in many potential Trump cases is proving whether he knowingly did things, because he's pretty bonkers and seems to believe anything he's just read so he might claim to really not know certain things.

That's why the indictment really hammers home how many times he was told by people who worked for him that various claims were untrue, sometimes mere hours before repeating them. Only a few quotes from him admitting he had list though, more would have helped.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Labour target and non target seats in Sussex - going after the Greens in Brighton Pavilion

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23693500.several-sussex-seats-non-priority-labour-election/
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,615
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Current Ukrainian casualties, compared to Russian, are estimated at 1:1. That’s a good ratio for an attacker.
    Arguing against myself for the moment, that's not the critical factor. It doesn't matter how many Russians die, it matters how many Ukrainians die. Leon's point is not as telling as he thinks but he's not wrong either, and Ukrainians are a finite resource. The Russians can bleed more than the Ukrainians on sheer mass of numbers.
  • Options
    Good morning

This is an interesting article by the BBC in Scotland on the politics and practicality of heat pumps

BBC News - Are Scotland's heat pump plans threatening to boil over?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66372469
  • Options

Leon said:

This is late October weather. In early august (usually the hottest time of the year)

Meanwhile, the weather now

• Options

@logical_song provided this link earlier:

It's a bit laboured but in summary: Pence (allegedly) will be called to testify that Trump asked him to reject certain states' electoral college votes. When Pence refused, Trump told him "You're too honest", which shows Trump knew the there was no justification to reject those votes.

I think.
    There's quite a lot more than that.

There is extensive evidence of his pressuring state officials to help overturn the election on the basis of voter fraud, while knowing that there was no evidence of any such fraud (as multiple White House officials testify).
    Read the indictment -
    https://d3i6fh83elv35t.cloudfront.net/static/2023/08/trump-indictment.pdf
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Yes, it is and it reflects their superior kit and training. But Ukraine cannot maintain that ratio indefinitely. The theory was that Russia would crack, that their logistics would collapse, that we would see the same sort of progress that we did last year. None of this has happened.

We also had many people criticising the "stupidity" of the Russians leaving their defensive lines and engaging in battles in their minefields. That has proven to be exactly the right tactics, effectively removing the advantage that modern western tanks could give Ukraine and forcing them back to brutal infantry attacks.

It is still possible that there is a sudden collapse. I hope so. Time is running out for Ukraine.
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

The war isn't hitting Russia as badly as it's hitting Ukraine, as evidenced by how it's only the Ukraine that has banned men from leaving the country. Russia hasn't. By that metric, Ukraine is more mobilised than Russia at the moment.

As for psywar, the first impression is that the Russian strength in this domain that was so evident during the election of Trump in 2016 (and pro Brexit before then) has NOT been evident during this war. Even the TASS website is crap, and you wonder whether the Russian state is making much of an effort. And this is while there's wall to wall pro-Zelensky propaganda in the media in a country like Britain. BUT THEN YOU WONDER whether the Wagner mutiny of June 2023 wasn't a Russian state operation. I'm beginning to think it may well have been, and that Putin and Prigozhin are working as one to pull our plonkers.

Then regarding the Ukraine it's curious that all the opposition in that country during 2013-14 to pro-EU policy (which was the form that the westernising line then took, rather than pro-NATO) just all of a sudden disappeared in the night, having been nothing more (if anybody believes Wikipedia) than the product of Russian foreigners handing out 50 or 100 US dollars (sic) to pay people to hold anti-Maidan banners, when they weren't bussing themselves in to go on demos pretending to be from Ukraine. The reason I mention this is that when Zelensky's star falls it could fall very fast. He was elected in the Yes Minister election of 2019 but looking at the f***ing disaster that this stooge's term in office has been, that may turn out to be a trick he can only perform once. Incidentally there's martial law in Ukraine at the moment, and although the next presidential election is supposed to be held in 2024 the consty-tooshun doesn't allow presidential elections to be held during martial law.

Not that this is much cause for optimism that the war will end within a year or two, which seems unlikely. It's scary to try to look at it from a neo-Nazi point of view, imagining that one is a neo-Nazi either of Utkin's ilk or Azov's. War war war is what these tattooed would-be incels love most of all, and by f*** if you look at the territories haven't they done well since 2014...and they may well be assuming that their field of operations will expand. Indeed Utkin has explicitly said this, and in a more scary way than Kadyrov saying ha ha we're going to Poland next. Watch Belarus. Won't be surprising if a NATO country gets seriously destabilised too,

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    DavidL said:

The whole “Jan 6th” investigation is very irregular, there seems to be several different agencies all looking at prosecuting the same offences.

There are stories abound of people who have been held on remand for two years but don’t know with what offences they’ve been charged, and there’s one weird story of a guy called Ray Epps, who was seen encouraging the crowds but was for a long time treated as a witness rather than a suspect. His lawyer blames Fox News, after the news station was handed CCTV of him from that day, and it’s also been alleged that Epps is either an FBI informant, or working with authorities in some way.

Meanwhile, other protagonists took a plea deal (a horrible idea in a justice system), served their time and are back out again, and others were found not guilty after CCTV emerged of them being let in past a cordon by police on duty.

I suspect that the idea was always to try and make sure that Trump was charged with something, which has now happened, but there’s still way more questions than answers two years later.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

His supporters are batshit crazy. Hopefully the typical wider American electorate is not.

There is an uncanny amount of similarity between Jeremy Corbyn and Donald Trump, so perhaps like his British equivalent it will take a second electoral defeat in November next year to provide the stake through the heart that his form of politics so richly really needs.

Hopefully 6 January was the equivalent of Salisbury where the wider electorate saw his true colors [sic].
    You'd think so, but people who had stepped back from him on that day like Lindsey Graham are now even more firmly in his corner.

That seems to apply to general supporters as well, given a bunch of them don't try to excuse January 6th they practically call the rioters heroes.

Hopefully independents have seen his true colours, but how many of the 1 in 4 or 5 GOP voters who are against him won't vote for him? People who stood up to him trying to overturn the election are still voting for him!
    True, but I have faith in the numbers.
    There are more registered Democrats than registered Republicans,
    The number of people who identify with and declare themselves as Independent voters is second next to Democrats. What might be surprising to many people is that the overall number of people who claim affiliation with the Independent party is usually more than those who declare themselves as either Democrat or Republican.

Trump has a fanatical base, that is more akin to a cult than a political party, but they comprise 'only' about 30% of the electorate.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,562

viewcode said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

www.liveuamap.com
    www.deepstatemap.com

Putin will be digging in waiting for Trump to rescue him.
    He’s already done that. The problem for the Russians is that they can’t stop the Ukrainian advances completely. And the Russians can’t build an infinite number of defence lines.
  • Options

DavidL said:

US justice is hugely expensive and moves ridiculously slowly. In my area, a single patent infringement suit can take well over a decade to get to a final outcome - first instance, then appeal after appeal after appeal, there always seems to be another angle. It bankrupts many people and makes makes a few very rich!

Litigation is simply a tool of those with the deepest pockets. The problem with such a system is that the merits of the case become almost irrelevant.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761

DavidL said:

Mostly it’s the lawyers who end up rich, with everyone else involved bankrupt.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Welcome to retirement, those who have announced it today. It’s been great for me and mine; we were able to get about and do all sorts of things.
    Sadly, while the spirit is still winning, my flesh, at least, is weak! It’s not easy to go in, and visit people iand places anymore; they have to come to me!
    Fortunately, discussion pages such as this represents something of a lifeline!

And may you continue to enliven this one for many years yet old friend.

Edit - just realised the ‘old’ is potentially ambiguous - I meant in the sense of longstanding…
  • Options
    edited August 2023

A very odd statement.

You're right that it won't move opinion one iota, but that it deals with events which took place in public doesn't mean crimes were not potentially committed.

It's also not true because the charges rely on reams of behind the scenes comments and reporting to indicate the actions in public were part of a scheme he knew was based on false info. Agree with it or not it is based on testimony we did not see in public.

It doesn't look as strong to me as the documents indictment, but stronger than the NY hush money case.

I don't get the delay in Georgia - that really looks like pressuring electoral officials in a way which should be illegal if it is not, and a simple call if it meets whatever standard there us, but no decision yet.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Litigation is simply a tool of those with the deepest pockets. The problem with such a system is that the merits of the case become almost irrelevant.

Yep - especially now injunctions are almost non-existent in patent lawsuits. If you are a deep pocket corporation, you can infringe with impunity. Apple is a prime example.

• Options
    Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Oh here we go!

I had a look at the cycle stats for Amsterdam and they hardly vary with weather. In Edinburgh, on a monthly basis, there isn't much seasonal variation either.
    We shouldn't have started from there but that's all we have.

Trying to get the UK to be a cycling culture = trying to get the UK to be a cafe culture.

Ain't gonna happen.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

North Wales is essentially a littoral colony of Liverpool.

Brummies own mid-Wales, but there’s no easily accessible beach. It’s all about getting on the M5 for the denizens of Motor City.

What an ignorant comment from someone who constantly talks down Britain

• Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Morning SO

Great walking country.

I thought that bus service had been cut. A few have been recently. The buses don't run to Lyme Regis from Sidmouth anymore, which is a big shame as I'd planned to do the SW Coast Path walk from there back to base.

Shame. It is a rather literal interpretation of Jurassic in the current circs, on checking - does go to Axminster. We did some time back use the Seaton-Lyme bus for a walk through the Landslip[ in between, and a quick check suggests it's still there and connects with the Sidmouth-Seaton one.
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517

Leon said:

darkage said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

But Ursula - what does Ursula want?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

It rained on St Swithins Day, so it will be a rotten summer.
    Totally ruined everyone's st swithin day parties no doubt.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Yes, it is and it reflects their superior kit and training. But Ukraine cannot maintain that ratio indefinitely. The theory was that Russia would crack, that their logistics would collapse, that we would see the same sort of progress that we did last year. None of this has happened.

We also had many people criticising the "stupidity" of the Russians leaving their defensive lines and engaging in battles in their minefields. That has proven to be exactly the right tactics, effectively removing the advantage that modern western tanks could give Ukraine and forcing them back to brutal infantry attacks.

It is still possible that there is a sudden collapse. I hope so. Time is running out for Ukraine.
    Think how long it took the Allies to fight through Normandy, with all their advantages. (casualty rates were as bad as Autumn 1918). No one should expect easy victories.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,642

TimS said:

Leon said:

23°C is the August average daily max for London.
    2 things:

1. "Southern England" - not London. The mean maxes for August at Heathrow or Northolt are around 1C higher than other stations in the region, as well as the Met Office S/SE England regional mean.
    2. The 1961-90 average which is the one against which warming is measured is significantly lower than the latest (1991-2020) mean. Heathrow is 22C for August in 1961-90 and somewhere like Odiham for example is 20.6C for the same period.
This discussion has been closed.