Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Wednesday open thread – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited July 2023 in General
imageThe Wednesday open thread – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    Open Sesame
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    edited July 2023
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/26/mps-falling-foul-bank-rules-politically-exposed-persons-chris-philp

Politicians as a class are at higher risk of bribery and need more supervision, esp cos it is in public office. Ditto their families. So they pass laws to deal with that (good) and whine when they get it in the neck as the banks CBA with the hassle. And try to piggyback on the Farage affair to get the laws watered down.

'“Banks have also more widely been overzealously interpreting the PEP rules, which meant many MPs have had trouble getting access to financial services. MPs’ families as well, spouses and children even, so they have been a bit overzealous,” Philp told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

He called the closure of Farage’s account “particularly bad” and said there was a wider issue of banks potentially not providing banking services to people because of their lawful political views.

“We believe in free speech in this country, we believe in political freedom and that means no one should be denied banking services,” said Philp.'
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206

Germans think Ukraine if fighting the wrong way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/07/25/german-military-ukraine-counter-offensive-too-slow/

Last time I looked Germany hadnt been in a conflict for 78 years and they lost to the people Ukraine are fighting.

Ukraine is currently refighting the battle of Kursk their own way.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/26/mps-falling-foul-bank-rules-politically-exposed-persons-chris-philp

Politicians as a class are at higher risk of bribery and need more supervision, esp cos it is in public office. Ditto their families. So they pass laws to deal with that (good) and whine when they get it in the neck as the banks CBA with the hassle. And try to piggyback on the Farage affair to get the laws watered down.

'“Banks have also more widely been overzealously interpreting the PEP rules, which meant many MPs have had trouble getting access to financial services. MPs’ families as well, spouses and children even, so they have been a bit overzealous,” Philp told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

He called the closure of Farage’s account “particularly bad” and said there was a wider issue of banks potentially not providing banking services to people because of their lawful political views.

“We believe in free speech in this country, we believe in political freedom and that means no one should be denied banking services,” said Philp.'

Yebbut loads of people are denied banking services?

The extent to which our media and politicians bend over backwards for Brexit Squidward is inexplicable to me.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    FPT
    PJH said:

» show previous quotes
    The rule of thumb is you can take 4-5% out of your pension pot capital value. So for an income of £20k you would need a pot of £800k to £1m. My private pension pot as a well paid private sector employee will be at best half that. I spotted the gap 20 years ago and had been saving an additional 10% of my income into an ISA, which in fact was performing better than my pension fund (tellingly) and would have been about enough to bridge the gap by 65. Unfortunately the ex-Mrs PJH has taken that and I'm back to square 1. But I would say that based on my experience at current prices starting now you need to save at least £10k a year for it to grow into a big enough pot over 40 years for a modestly comfortable lifestyle in retirement. And that assumes you own your own home outright by then.

surely 4%-5% of 1 Million is 40K - 50K, so you would need half your pot estimate?
    Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

The extent to which our media and politicians bend over backwards for Brexit Squidward is inexplicable to me.
    That's actually a different matter entirely. Ordinary people are fallign foul of the CIFAS system as implemented by the banking industry.

But it's a good point because the pols are also trying to claim they are hard done by in the same way, when it's am entirely different issue which is the primary problem for pols (although the results are also mediated by the CIFAS system, it's silly to blame it on CIFAS).
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    NatWest at it again:

Freedom of Belief is protected under the Equality Act. Companies cannot discriminate against people over lawful views.
    There are many less high profile individuals whose accounts appear to been closed for this reason. I hope banks will look again.

RBS closes gender equality campaigner’s bank account
    NatWest subsidiary gave no explanation and will not discuss the ban with Lesley Sawers or her husband

https://twitter.com/KemiBadenoch/status/1684089391608741888?s=20
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    This thread could also have been called Morning Hawks.
    Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

That's actually a different matter entirely. Ordinary people are fallign foul of the CIFAS system as implemented by the banking industry.

But it's a good point because the pols are also trying to claim they are hard done by in the same way, when it's am entirely different issue which is the primary problem for pols (although the results are also mediated by the CIFAS system, it's silly to blame it on CIFAS).
    But the principal of access to banking as a universal right (ideally) is fundamental to both. If anything good comes out of the highly unedifying affair, it would be recognition of that.
    edited July 2023

NatWest at it again:

Freedom of Belief is protected under the Equality Act. Companies cannot discriminate against people over lawful views.
    There are many less high profile individuals whose accounts appear to been closed for this reason. I hope banks will look again.

NatWest subsidiary gave no explanation and will not discuss the ban with Lesley Sawers or her husband

They're not allowed to discuss it, by law.

Passed by the Conservative Party AFAIK.

Because if they start discussing it with people, then the ones who don't get it discussed know that they're [edit] uncer criminal investigation, and clear off/destroy evidence/etc.

Edit: so who knows? Could have been some scrote using her identity somewhere else and she gets the blame. It's a known issue in general.

• david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,565

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/07/25/german-military-ukraine-counter-offensive-too-slow/

Last time I looked Germany hadnt been in a conflict for 78 years and they lost to the people Ukraine are fighting.

Given the Russian's response to those raids in the south, I do wonder whether rather than attack the current front lines, they'd have been better invading Russia and attempting to encircle Moscow's troops.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750

At least the Germans are actually supplying kit.

A lot of folk chatting shit on the topic would deny Ukraine that.
    For instance..

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1684051042588033024
    Not a single thing RFK says here is even remotely accurate.
    -Not “the” Ukraine.
    -US didn’t “push” Ukraine into war twice; Russia invaded twice.
    -Zelensky didn’t run on or sign Minsk 2.
    -Minsk 2 wasn’t 2019 or 2022; it was 2015.
    -Putin didn’t withdraw troops, he sent more...
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    WRT the discussion recently about top people failing upwards, generally moving after failing to new highly paid stuff etc. Two points.

A very large number of people who are both decently able and more or less moral beings don't want to scale the elite heights. The intuitively know the 'Peter Principle' - the idea that by nature you get promoted to your level of incompetence and then stick - and avoid it. It is a deeply miserable place to be, and much more fun to earn less (this is easier outside London, SE, Edinburgh etc) and respect what you do all day.

Two, the very top elite, who do the merry go round of elite stuff, on the whole are different from the rest of us by having that very set of abilities capable of getting there and doing all of that. This is not in itself cognitive aptitude, but a skill set of personality type, mixed with shamelessness and ruthlessness most of us don't want.

Normal people neither want to be victims of the Peter Principle, nor shameless amoral narcissists. If this were not so, the pattern would not keep being repeated. If you have avoided both these, just be grateful.

• bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    SKS backing Farage over his Bank Account LOL SKS Fans

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    1h
    Keir Starmer tells
    @bbc5live
    that on Nigel Farage bank account row Nat West "got this one wrong" and that's why boss Alison Rose had to go.

Labour leader says he feels sorry for Farage having his personal details revealed. "It doesn't matter who you are, that's a general rule".

Suppose its only fair Farage has compared LAB policy to UKIPS on EU and Immigration and said they are same thing
    edited July 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

But the principal of access to banking as a universal right (ideally) is fundamental to both. If anything good comes out of the highly unedifying affair, it would be recognition of that.
    Sure, but relieving pols of the worry of having to keep to high standards (aka not taking bribes) is against our collective rights.

And banks are commercial organizations. They don't have to take customers if they are too much hassle or seem well dodgy.

Edit: I can't se how you can force them to take anyone's accounts. Doesn't make sense. It's central to moneylaundering legislation that banks have a responsibility over whom they accept.
    Carnyx said:

NatWest at it again:

With the subject?

Then they'll get one of these:

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/your-right-to-get-copies-of-your-data/preparing-and-submitting-your-subject-access-request/

Given the Russian's response to those raids in the south, I do wonder whether rather than attack the current front lines, they'd have been better invading Russia and attempting to encircle Moscow's troops.
    Im waiting to see what happens round Kherson. The russians wrecked the Dnieper dam and caused a huge flood which on some reports cleared minefield defences etc, Now the ground must be getting dried out, so is this now the weakest spot in russian defences ?

Carnyx said:

NatWest at it again:

With the subject?

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/your-right-to-get-copies-of-your-data/preparing-and-submitting-your-subject-access-request/
    Fair enough, but what happens when the subject really is bent and they won't provide one? The bank gets prosecuted.
    edited July 2023

SKS backing Farage over his Bank Account LOL SKS Fans

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    1h
    Keir Starmer tells @bbc5live that on Nigel Farage bank account row Nat West "got this one wrong" and that's why boss Alison Rose had to go.

Labour leader says he feels sorry for Farage having his personal details revealed. "It doesn't matter who you are, that's a general rule".

Suppose its only fair Farage has compared LAB policy to UKIPS on EU and Immigration and said they are same thing

Do your crew believe in different laws for different people ?
    Bit of revolutionary justice ?

(FWIW, I hold Farage in as much contempt as I do Corbyn, possibly more.)
    Nigelb said:

For instance..

-Not “the” Ukraine.
    Ah back to your US fascination.

Germany however isnt sending that much, France even less. In Europe the UK and Poland are stepping up to the mark.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

NatWest at it again:

With the subject?

Fair enough, but what happens when the subject really is bent and they won't provide one? The bank gets prosecuted.
    It's how Farage got the info that's trashed Coutts reputation and led to Dame Alison Rose losing her job.....

Im waiting to see what happens round Kherson. The russians wrecked the Dnieper dam and caused a huge flood which on some reports cleared minefield defences etc, Now the ground must be getting dried out, so is this now the weakest spot in russian defences ?
    Would it clear minefields, or just spread mines more widely and unpredictably?

These horrible weapons will be killing kids for decades from now.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

NatWest at it again:

With the subject?

It's how Farage got the info that's trashed Coutts reputation and led to Dame Alison Rose losing her job.....
    Oh, I know. But *it is illegal for the bank to provide it if the reason is a criminal inquiry etc, which would mean tippiung off the client* - so if the bank won't provide it, it has tipped off the dodgy client. Which is illegal.

The banks will simply make the decision in purely verbal discussion and record only the decision. So, nothing to reveal.
    African leaders are staying away from Russia's big summit in St Petersburg tomorrow: only 21 heads of state and government are going, as opposed to 43 the last time in 2019.

The Kremlin is complaining of "very fierce" western pressure:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1684151413704892419

The grain blockade not being a concern for African leaders.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    edited July 2023

Last war the Germans won - 1870

On a serious note - similar comments have been made by other NATO militaries.

The small attacks backed by a few AFVs is actually much of warfare, since tanks trundled across the start line in WWI
    Ghedebrav said:

From the accounts I had read the mines were churned up and swept downstream. I suspect the reality is some of them are in big bunches and some of them are still in place, But the idea of an organised minefield defence is gone and its more of a question of finding the weak spots.
    Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

I can't see how you can force them to take anyone's accounts. Doesn't make sense. It's central to moneylaundering legislation that banks have a responsibility over whom they accept.
    The issue is not "forcing them to take accounts" its "closing existing accounts" - some of which they have held for decades.

Either the bank didn't do KYC properly in the first place - or they suspect criminality in which case the police should be involved.

In Farage's case it boiled down to "we don't like his politics" - I wonder why they have closed the accounts of Professor Lesley Sawers, 64, the Equalities and Human Rights commissioner for Scotland, who has been with them 32 years....

The small attacks backed by a few AFVs is actually much of warfare, since tanks trundled across the start line in WWI
    Arguably they didnt win that either as it was the Franco Prussian war. Germany only came in to being a year later.

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

I can't see how you can force them to take anyone's accounts. Doesn't make sense. It's central to moneylaundering legislation that banks have a responsibility over whom they accept.
    The issue is not "forcing them to take accounts" its "closing existing accounts" - some of which they have held for decades.

Either the bank didn't do KYC properly in the first place - or they suspect criminality in which case the police should be involved.

In Farage's case it boiled down to "we don't like his politics" - I wonder why they have closed the accounts of Professor Lesley Sawers, 64, the Equalities and Human Rights commissioner for Scotland, who has been with them 32 years....
    So the big question - does Nicola Sturgeon still have a bank account ?
    edited July 2023
    Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Farage is an obnoxious tosser with dodgy friends, but that doesn't alter the fact that his private bank details are confidential between him, the bank, and where necessary law enforcement. They are not for chit-chat at a party with a journalist.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Managing to lose a game of Truth to Nigel Farage? What next - be outsmarted in business by Donald Fucking Trump?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Ghedebrav said:

Ukraine must be outstripping Angola as the most heavily mined country in the world. About 50 people/year (mostly kids) are still being killed in Angola and the civil war has been over for 20 years.

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

The police are much busy with {REDACTED] women in [REDACTED].

Nigelb said:

For instance..

-Not “the” Ukraine.

Germany however isnt sending that much, France even less. In Europe the UK and Poland are stepping up to the mark.
    You were the one to raise RFK, and I was responding to your Ukraine comment.

As for Germany, you're wrong. They have significantly stepped up arms deliveries to Ukraine - their problem is how far they'd previously run down their usable kit.
    https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/09/fact-sheet-on-german-military-aid-to.html
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Sure, but relieving pols of the worry of having to keep to high standards (aka not taking bribes) is against our collective rights.

And banks are commercial organizations. They don't have to take customers if they are too much hassle or seem well dodgy.

Edit: I can't se how you can force them to take anyone's accounts. Doesn't make sense. It's central to moneylaundering legislation that banks have a responsibility over whom they accept.
    No, it should be central to banks that they don't accept accounts for people guilty of money laundering. It seems they're going much much wider than that -legislation is needed to ensure they can't just arbitrarily not accept the son of a HoL peer or some such. There's no pushback in legislation the other way which is clearly sorely needed.
    Andy_JS said:

Not now.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

How else does one buy a campervan?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    algarkirk said:

The shocking thing is I don't think anybody is shocked by this.

Unconscious with her hands cuffed behind her back, a woman is carried into a police cell.

She is forced face-down onto a thin mattress. Police officers take off her jeans, cut off her knickers, pull a pair of oversized custody shorts over her legs, then remove her top and bra before leaving her alone and topless. All of this is captured on CCTV.

The woman in the footage is Zayna Iman, 38, who alleges that she was drugged and sexually assaulted while being held in custody by Greater Manchester Police.

"Instead of providing an unconscious female with medical attention they thought, 'I know let's take her clothes off instead and leave her there'," says Zayna, sounding incredulous. "It's just something that the police do for their own perverse kicks."

Police broke into her home in the early hours of 5 February 2021, and arrested her after she knocked the glasses off a female officer's face. They were following up a welfare callout over a woman high on cocaine. Over the next 40 hours or so, Zayna - who has waived her right to anonymity - would be taken to and held at a police station.

From that period, there are three hours of missing footage which GMP have so far failed to supply.

Zayna's allegation is supported by her medical records which show evidence of sexual injuries. She has also shared her concerns with former GMP chief superintendent, Martin Harding, who has seen the available footage and the glaring inconsistencies with the custody log, and says her claims are credible.

https://news.sky.com/story/stripped-and-left-topless-in-a-cell-i-was-drugged-and-sexually-assaulted-by-greater-manchester-police-12924141

Small point on 'sub sets' of lawyers. Assuming this story has legs, and this is an injured individual versus a mighty arm of the police and state, if this were me every single firm of solicitors I would want to go to to represent my interests are what the Mail would call 'lefty'. The sort this government (and most governments) hate.

I am not of the left, but lefty lawyers do an immense amount to defend people against the oppressions of the state. And yes, they can be amazingly annoying too.
    As with many fundamental rights and protections pushy annoying arses might have helped obtain them, and often to assist horrible people.

Because that's needed sometimes in order to get protections in general.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

For instance..

-Not “the” Ukraine.

You were the one to raise RFK, and I was responding to your Ukraine comment.

As for Germany, you're wrong. They have significantly stepped up arms deliveries to Ukraine - their problem is how far they'd previously run down their usable kit.
    https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/09/fact-sheet-on-german-military-aid-to.html
    LOL

RFK was yesterday, clearly he worries a Biden man like yourself.

@Jim_Miller attempted to convince me that the US political system is populated by decent people and listed a series of governors who could inspire confidence, This lasted for about half an hour as those on the site rubbished them. I still remain of a view the US system is fked and the place is on its way to being a banana republic.
    Good to see SKS taking a position on NatWest now that all the difficult decisions have been taken.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Alison Rose resigns, LOL.

Who would have thought, that briefing a journalist with lies about the personal details of a customer might be a bad thing?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Andy_JS said:

Shy Talks covers the lurkers, and has its uses phonetically as a descriptor.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited July 2023
    "Arsonists are being blamed for devastating wildfires that have swept through the Greek island of Corfu.

Corfu mayor Yorgos Mahimaris claimed on Monday that an arsonist started the fires which have sparked mass evacuations. Mr Mahimaris came to the conclusion after visiting three locations where fires broke out on Mount Pantokratoras.Theofanis Skembris, deputy mayor of North Corfu, backed this view and said that four fires were “started simultaneously"."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/corfu-wildfires-greece-rhodes-b2381320.html

"Greece: Wildfires on Corfu started by arsonists, officials claim"

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/rhodes-wildfires-corfu-greece-arson-110146897.html
    Nigelb said:

African leaders are staying away from Russia's big summit in St Petersburg tomorrow: only 21 heads of state and government are going, as opposed to 43 the last time in 2019.

It’s not like African leaders want their people to be able to eat…

Meanwhile, Poland is lobbying the EU to not allow exports of grain from Ukraine, lest it undercut their own farmers.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/grain-poland-solidarity-ukraine/
  • PJHPJH Posts: 618
    malcolmg said:

FPT
    PJH said:

» show previous quotes
    The rule of thumb is you can take 4-5% out of your pension pot capital value. So for an income of £20k you would need a pot of £800k to £1m. My private pension pot as a well paid private sector employee will be at best half that. I spotted the gap 20 years ago and had been saving an additional 10% of my income into an ISA, which in fact was performing better than my pension fund (tellingly) and would have been about enough to bridge the gap by 65. Unfortunately the ex-Mrs PJH has taken that and I'm back to square 1. But I would say that based on my experience at current prices starting now you need to save at least £10k a year for it to grow into a big enough pot over 40 years for a modestly comfortable lifestyle in retirement. And that assumes you own your own home outright by then.

surely 4%-5% of 1 Million is 40K - 50K, so you would need half your pot estimate?

Yes, changed my mind on the pension size and failed to edit the pot size. D'oh!
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Nigelb said:
    How significant is that?
    edited July 2023
    Classic hot mike moment from Ken Clarke in 2016
    https://twitter.com/TobiFrenzen/status/1670525468079009795

"... Theresa's a bloody difficult woman, but you and I both worked for Margaret Thatcher..."

"...The idea of Boris as PM is ridiculous..."
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

How do supporters of the banking status quo, think that suspected money launderers should live in the UK?

Yes of course they ideally should not do money laundering (which at the bank stage they may or may not be guilty of), but even if they are guilty how as a society do we want them to live?

Without a bank account, they are not going to eligible for employment or rental accommodation. So we push them towards homelessness and further criminality? What use is that to anyone?
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

It’s not like African leaders want their people to be able to eat…

Meanwhile, Poland is lobbying the EU to not allow exports of grain from Ukraine, lest it undercut their own farmers.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/grain-poland-solidarity-ukraine/
    Life is complicated. Will you deplore or applaud the EU if overrules Poland in this case?

Ukraine could always stop buying/taking foc Polish miltary help in response.
    edited July 2023
    Nigelb said:
    There are many Andriivkas in Ukraine. The one in question is about 6km south of the center of Bakhmut and about 2km south of Klishchiivka. I suspect I am going to be saying this again and again, but the total area that has changed hands is about 6 square km. It's good, but it is slow.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Nigelb said:

"... Theresa's a bloody difficult woman, but you and I both worked for Margaret Thatcher..."

Not as ridiculous as Ken Clarke leading the Tory Party.

Also, that was most certainly deliberate.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053

Arguably they didnt win that either as it was the Franco Prussian war. Germany only came in to being a year later.
    Point of Order. Malmsbury said "the Germans". Germans have been around centuries longer than Germany has.

Good to see SKS taking a position on NatWest now that all the difficult decisions have been taken.

He had to work out what the popular position was before he agreed with it. He has mastered the art of leading people where they have already gone. It's impressive when you think about it.
    edited July 2023
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Not as ridiculous as Ken Clarke leading the Tory Party..
    That's a far greater condemnation of the party than it is Clarke.

Nice interview with him here, where he describes Thatcher as the best PM he served under:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001p1rn

On power: "ten years is the maximum dose for adults".
    viewcode said:

He had to work out what the popular position was before he agreed with it. He has mastered the art of leading people where they have already gone. It's impressive when you think about it.
    See today's revelation that women don't have penises.....
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Nice interview with him here, where he describes Thatcher as the best PM he served under:

If Ken Clarke had been LotO after 1997, the UK would almost certainly have joined the Euro in 2001.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The introduction to that interview supports my thesis that Ken Clarke bears heavy responsibility for the Tories losing power after he moved from department to department attacking Conservative-supporting professionals in the public sector.

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

How do supporters of the banking status quo, think that suspected money launderers should live in the UK?

Yes of course they ideally should not do money laundering (which at the bank stage they may or may not be guilty of), but even if they are guilty how as a society do we want them to live?

Without a bank account, they are not going to eligible for employment or rental accommodation. So we push them towards homelessness and further criminality? What use is that to anyone?
    Quite. I don't know how. But that status quo is a relatively new one, in part enforced by government regulation.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    I'd like to see Rishi show some backbone and take on those in Paris, Berlin and Washington afraid of a Russian defeat. Ulrich Speck on twitter suggesting he's a bit irrelevant in the conversations. A shame as he has taken a lead on providing tanks and longer range artillery. I suppose successful politics isn't just about action, it requires persuasion.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

I assumed that RBS = Royal Bank of Sturgeon.
    Have I got that wrong?
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Nope, he and his supporters played games and got burnt. If you don't want your party to be led by someone you dislike, don't led them your supporters.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

If Ken Clarke had been LotO after 1997, the UK would almost certainly have joined the Euro in 2001.
    All in all, I'd take that over what we have now.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited July 2023
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:
    There are many Andriivkas in Ukraine. The one in question is about 6km south of the center of Bakhmut and about 2km south of Klishchiivka. I suspect I am going to be saying this again and again, but the total area that has changed hands is about 6 square km. It's good, but it is slow.
    It's a tactical gain, not a strategic one - but it's part of a series of small advances around Bakhmut. The Russian position there seems slowly to be disintegrating.
    And the notable thing is that Russia now appears to be taking greater losses in the defence than is Ukraine in the offence.
    My armchair generalship on all of this stuff amounts to not knowing whether either 1. attrition is slowly but surely getting the better of Russian forces and they are on the verge of collapse, or 2. Ukraine is running out of momentum and firepower and is about to "cultimate", or indeed 3. neither of those and they keep slugging it out WW1 style until Trump comes to power and helps Russia to win the war.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

If we'd joined the Euro in 2001 we probably would never have voted Brexit, would have had more influence over EU decision making in the years since, and our economy would be doing nicely. Yes please.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Sandpit said:

Who would have thought, that briefing a journalist with lies about the personal details of a customer might be a bad thing?

She should have resigned yesterday when the story first appeared.

If an employee had done that it would have been instant dismissal for Gross Misconduct...
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    edited July 2023
    eristdoof said:

Point of Order. Malmsbury said "the Germans". Germans have been around centuries longer than Germany has.
    If by German we understand 'people who speak the language' then, of course, they are still to be found in Austria and Switzerland. The creation of a state (or rather, lots of states) based on language was nineteenth-century identity politics.
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Which is why, from a certain point of view, the Euro was such a good idea. Bind people in to something that is very difficult to leave and so the only political answer is further integration.
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:
    It's a tactical gain, not a strategic one - but it's part of a series of small advances around Bakhmut. The Russian position there seems slowly to be disintegrating.
    And the notable thing is that Russia now appears to be taking greater losses in the defence than is Ukraine in the offence.
    My armchair generalship on all of this stuff amounts to not knowing whether either 1. attrition is slowly but surely getting the better of Russian forces and they are on the verge of collapse, or 2. Ukraine is running out of momentum and firepower and is about to "cultimate", or indeed 3. neither of those and they keep slugging it out WW1 style until Trump comes to power and helps Russia to win the war.
    I've no idea.
    I just note what's happening, rather than make predictions. Ukraine might not be gaining much ground, but neither so they seem to be taking losses which might halt the offensive.
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:
    It’s always slow, when the enemy is digging trenches and mining fields.

Progress is progress though, and the Ukranians are making progress every day.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

viewcode said:

Has he never been to Bangkok?

eristdoof said:

If by German we understand 'people who speak the language' then, of course, they are still to be found in Austria and Switzerland. The creation of a state (or rather, lots of states) based on language was nineteenth-century identity politics.
    The alliance of German states that defeated France in 1870 were the German Empire first in potential, then in actuality. The purpose of the war, from Bismarck was to get the German Empire across the line with a big start.

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Which is why, from a certain point of view, the Euro was such a good idea. Bind people in to something that is very difficult to leave and so the only political answer is further integration.
    Yep, the Euro is a political rather than economic project. What's interesting is that federalism, which is really what's needed, has stalled. I reckon, when it comes to it, the powers that be just can't bare the thought of letting the people vote for a President of Europe.
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Yep, the Euro is a political rather than economic project. What's interesting is that federalism, which is really what's needed, has stalled. I reckon, when it comes to it, the powers that be just can't bare the thought of letting the people vote for a President of Europe.
    You don't get a say in that debate from the outside.
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

If we'd joined the Euro in 2001 we probably would never have voted Brexit, would have had more influence over EU decision making in the years since, and our economy would be doing nicely. Yes please.
    Sorry that's ludicrous. We would have been much worse affected by the 2008 financial crisis and it would have been much harder to solve given the size of the banking and financial sector in the UK. We might well have been forced out of the Euro at that point.

viewcode said:

Or, indeed, Edinburgh in the Festival, for many years now. I believe they also do their show elsewhere, even in London. Camden, for all I know.

viewcode said:

Ahead of its time.

viewcode said:

Indeed, although I was thinking of ULEZ. I assume you are referring to this: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4485585/#Comment_4485585 . No doubt more examples will appear as we get nearer the election. On listening to your Guido link (just under 3 mins: thank you for the brevity), it appears he reflected on "what happened in Scotland" and did a one-eighty[1]. Nicky Campbell pressed him for what about it (the Scottish GRR bill) caused it to change his mind, but he declined to meaningfully expand. I assume it was the polling.

[1] There is a part of my head that says he did an Immelmann, but that's just me
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,065
    edited July 2023

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The introduction to that interview supports my thesis that Ken Clarke bears heavy responsibility for the Tories losing power after he moved from department to department attacking Conservative-supporting professionals in the public sector.
    Not sure about this. The pendulum always swings eventually, and you can't really be a Secretary of State whilst offending nobody.

That's not a defence of Clarke's record at Health and Education before he was Chancellor, but the Conservatives implemented a lot of controversial policies in the 1980s and early 1990s, some of which Clarke was directly involved in, some not. That isn't really what lost it for them in 1997 - there was simply a general feeling by the mid-1990s that the Conservatives had run out of steam and didn't fully appreciate or have compelling solutions for the most important issues for people. There was also a fairly large amount of sleaze going on, and it was widely felt that it was time for a change to the other lot.

Clarke was Health Secretary 1988-1990 and Education 1990-92. Are you really saying 1997 was some kind of delayed reaction to that (which was not felt in the 1992 General Election for some reason)? Feels a bit far-fetched to me, although he was one of a series of Conservative ministers who were unconvincing on those issues both within the professions involved and externally.
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Nope, he and his supporters played games and got burnt. If you don't want your party to be led by someone you dislike, don't led them your supporters.
    His ten years point seems pretty apt though.
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

If an employee had done that it would have been instant dismissal for Gross Misconduct...
    I expect that Farage is now going to sue the hell out of NatWest, and log a case with the Information Commissioner which can expose them to further fines.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:
    The Russians haven't had time to fortify their defensive lines around Bakhmut, so it's a more favourable area for Ukraine to attack, and Russia keep on sending in reinforcements because losing Bakhmut would be a humiliation.

The volume of single-use drone attacks seems to be increasing by both sides. Can't help but wonder how many decades behind in drone use the British Army is.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    edited July 2023
    Is it The Open or the British Open Thread ?
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

I expect that Farage is now going to sue the hell out of NatWest, and log a case with the Information Commissioner which can expose them to further fines.
    So he should.
    edited July 2023
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

You can press your gurney wee face against the window from the outside and hope they take notice, which seems to be the m.o. of more than a few PBers. Mind you, given 'can't bare the thought' perhaps it's another part of the anatomy on display.
    Taz said:

Is it The Open or the British Open ?

It's closed.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,065
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not totally sure he'd get far suing them, as it's not clear to me what his quantifiable loss is. Certainly, he'd be taking a major risk as soon as they made an offer to settle (essentially, he'd be liable to pay both his and their legal costs if this exceeded the sum ultimately awarded, which is quite likely to be modest). I think Farage is canny enough to get this - pursuing a court case after a sensible "without prejudice" offer is made is a bit of a mug's game.

So I'm not convinced he'll spin this out into a full-blown court case (he may issue proceedings but can't see him having his day in court), although I can see it with ICO complaints etc.
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Indeed, although I was thinking of ULEZ. I assume you are referring to this: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4485585/#Comment_4485585 . No doubt more examples will appear as we get nearer the election. On listening to your Guido link (just under 3 mins: thank you for the brevity), it appears he reflected on "what happened in Scotland" and did a one-eighty[1]. Nicky Campbell pressed him for what about it (the Scottish GRR bill) caused it to change his mind, but he declined to meaningfully expand. I assume it was the polling.

[1] There is a part of my head that says he did an Immelmann, but that's just me
    He wouldn't want to say what changed his mind, as then Slab could challenge him on it. Like bankers and human rights commissioners in Scotland.

Edit: also quite a few party members in rUK. Labour as q whole was supporting this broad kind of legislation, as was Mrs May IIRC.
    edited July 2023
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:
    The Ukrainians seem to be moving forward in a series of steps. Each step is breaching a Russian defence line and associated minefields.

This is a slow process. But one that the Russians do not seem to be able to stop. Which is why you hear a certain level of panic, even on the Russian propaganda sources.

One factor that is helping the Ukrainians is the Western AFVs they are using now are much more survivable. Even when knocked out, they aren’t loosing the entire crew in the style of BMP/T-72.

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

You can press your gurney wee face against the window from the outside and hope they take notice, which seems to be the m.o. of more than a few PBers. Mind you, given 'can't bare the thought' perhaps it's another part of the anatomy on display.
    Tongue, window for the licking of?
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Ultimately they'd all be fine for it if they were elected as President, but they're all happier being leaders of their individual countries, than minor ministers in an EU government.
    Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

I know. I agree with you. But the 2014 area of Ukraine is 579,290sqkm and the Russians currently occupy about a quarter of it including Crimea. Call it 150Ksqkm. 6sqkm is 0.005% (ie 0.00005) of the occupied territory. At that rate they will have cleared out the orcs in about 20,000 days, which is 54 years ten months.

We remember WW1, but forget that it took four years to resolve. This isn't going to finish in 2023, and probably not 2024. Unless Trump wins and changes US policy faster than Starmer on penises, in which case the Ukranians are dead by Xmas 2024.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Sorry that's ludicrous. We would have been much worse affected by the 2008 financial crisis and it would have been much harder to solve given the size of the banking and financial sector in the UK. We might well have been forced out of the Euro at that point.
    I think we'd be richer than we are now if we were in the Euro, having had to make tougher fiscal choices than we did in the actualité of 2008 - now.
    On a personal/business level it'd be nice to eliminate currency risk between euros and sterling on all our large contracts.
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:
    I'm fairly confident that Russia are approaching a point of collapse more quickly than Ukraine, but the willingness of Russian soldiers to keep fighting, despite heavy losses and the contempt in which they are held by their officers, has exceeded expectations.
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

I know. I agree with you. But the 2014 area of Ukraine is 579,290sqkm and the Russians currently occupy about a quarter of it including Crimea. Call it 150Ksqkm. 6sqkm is 0.005% (ie 0.00005) of the occupied territory. At that rate they will have cleared out the orcs in about 20,000 days, which is 54 years ten months...
    Silly calculation, though.
    The Russians might have built defences in some depth, but they're still a fairly thin red line along the borders of the territory they've seized.

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not totally sure he'd get far suing them, as it's not clear to me what his quantifiable loss is. Certainly, he'd be taking a major risk as soon as they made an offer to settle (essentially, he'd be liable to pay both his and their legal costs if this exceeded the sum ultimately awarded, which is quite likely to be modest). I think Farage is canny enough to get this - pursuing a court case after a sensible "without prejudice" offer is made is a bit of a mug's game.

So I'm not convinced he'll spin this out into a full-blown court case (he may issue proceedings but can't see him having his day in court), although I can see it with ICO complaints etc.
    The loss is to his reputation. Now, you might think that he has no reputation to lose, but no matter his politics, he was in good standing in society, and NatWest decided to brief the press that he was not in good standing in society.

It’s the sort of case where the damages are £100k and the costs £3m, or else NW can settle for £500k now and avoid the court case they know they’ll lose.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,278
    Rupert Murdoch has twice tried to buy GB News and been rebuffed, per Guido:

https://order-order.com/2023/07/26/exclusive-news-uk-has-twice-offered-to-buy-gb-news/
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

All of them couldn't have played it worse from the start. They have fallen into Farage's trap at every single step.
This discussion has been closed.