Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tim Montgomerie is right about this Sunak Tweet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,610

Scott_xP said:

The EU date for banning ICE vehicles is 2035 so Sunak would be right to do the same

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/eu-lawmakers-approve-effective-2035-ban-new-fossil-fuel-cars-2023-02-14/
    What do you think of Rishi's Tweet? As I recall you were outraged by Labour's wicked slur on Rishi. I agreed with you, it was unfortunate gutter politics.
    I was surprised, and putting both tweets into context, this is looking very much like the gloves are off as the fight for the next GE commences with 15 months to go

Maybe we need to accept that Uxbridge could well be a seminal point in the battle for votes, and certainly it has opened a new front on the costs and practicality of net zero, not so much for 2050 but definitely for 2030
    So it's OK if Rishi does it.

Is rowing back on the green agenda whilst the Greek Islands burn perfect timing?

Everyone is looking at Greece, but it seems as if an absolute catastrophe is unfolding in Sicily.

Yes and we have been to Sicily several times and experienced high temperatures on each occasion
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The EU date for banning ICE vehicles is 2035 so Sunak would be right to do the same

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/eu-lawmakers-approve-effective-2035-ban-new-fossil-fuel-cars-2023-02-14/
    What do you think of Rishi's Tweet? As I recall you were outraged by Labour's wicked slur on Rishi. I agreed with you, it was unfortunate gutter politics.
    I was surprised, and putting both tweets into context, this is looking very much like the gloves are off as the fight for the next GE commences with 15 months to go

Maybe we need to accept that Uxbridge could well be a seminal point in the battle for votes, and certainly it has opened a new front on the costs and practicality of net zero, not so much for 2050 but definitely for 2030

Is rowing back on the green agenda whilst the Greek Islands burn perfect timing?
    Depends on how much voters are going to have to pay and neither Sunak or Starmer have excelled themselves recently in their tweets
    What were Starmer's Tweets?
    @Miklosvar quotes them at 10.42 pm
    I don't recall they were attributed directly to Starmer in the way Rishi has put his name to this last slur
    They were posted by Labour with Starmer approval
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,186

Scott_xP said:

Everyone is looking at Greece, but it seems as if an absolute catastrophe is unfolding in Sicily.

How very Athenian

{Nicias has entered the chat, and tripped over himself}
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,011

Scott_xP said:

Yes and we have been to Sicily several times and experienced high temperatures on each occasion
    And now...

Colin McCarthy
    @US_Stormwatch
    An extraordinary marine heatwave has developed off the east coast of Canada, with hundreds of thousands of square miles of ocean experiencing sea surface temperatures more than 5°C (9°F) above normal and max anomalies approaching 10°C (18°F) above normal.

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1683890913293246464
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,350
    edited July 2023

Scott_xP said:

I'm sorry Big_G but you are sadly deluded if you think net zero is going to sway many votes. Four polls conducted since Uxbridge have shown no movement; ULEZ was a local issue not a seminal moment.

The Tories are doomed, and rightly so.
    Notably there were big votes for the Greens in both of the other by elections, despite a tactical squeeze. 10.2% in Somerton and Frome, 5.2% in Selby, even 2.9% in Uxbridge.

Not exactly hippie central in either place. A Lab campaign has a lot of Green vote to squeeze if Starmer goes strong on Green issues.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,817
    Leon said:

THE BEAR Season 2 is seriously good

It’s hard to work out why, tho. As a comedy it’s not that funny. It has moments. As a drama it isn’t that dramatic

But it has highly likeable characters, a simple yet compelling story, truly great acting, and a weirdly good soundtrack (the Durutti Column? Really??)

8.7/10

Martin Gore of Depeche Mode covered Durutti's "Smile in the Crowd".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJYaow6dlO4
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,743

Financial Times indicates more adjustments to green policies by Sunak

I did suggest 2019was the Brexit election but it seems 2024 may well be the climate change one

https://twitter.com/TmorrowsPapers/status/1683945762902749186?t=PW5NNZqzqr7lpqb1OMAhKQ&s=19

You don't think it might be the Inflation Election??
    Not as much as the cost of going green on the ordinary voter
    I am not sure over the course of the next 18 months this is as big an issue as you suggest. Maybe more has been read from Uxbridge than was necessary.

That said after Uxbridge I am expecting much, much closer polls for the next couple of months. You are right Rishi played a blinder on Thursday and the hapless Starmer lost big, but does this issue have legs?
    Sunak played a blinder and only lost 2 out of 3 safe seats.
    Somerton and Frome and Selby and Ainsty results have been lost in the smog of Uxbridge.

BigG has forgotten however that ULEZ is a specifically health related, rather than a green issue. If Labour and the Mayor in particular could get their messaging out of the blocks it wouldn't take much to suggest that Sunak is defending the asphyxiation of babies and children through automotive pollution for political gain.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,297
    Mid table club does business with Putin.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/25/premier-league-russia-football-tottenham-davinson-sanchez

How is this not sanctions busting?
    NB. No indication Sanchez wants to go.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The most ironic thing is British Tourists seeking safety in Albania...

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/24/tourist-watched-from-balcony-in-albania-as-corfu-burst-into-flames-19182790/
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,065

Scott_xP said:

The whole island is burning. Catania has been without electricity and water for 48 hours, apparently, as the cables regulating supply have all melted. It looks horrific. One of Dante's circles of hell.

• Options
    A crucial system of ocean currents is heading for a collapse that ‘would affect every person on the planet’

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/25/world/gulf-stream-atlantic-current-collapse-climate-scn-intl/index.html
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Depends on how much voters are going to have to pay and neither Sunak or Starmer have excelled themselves recently in their tweets
    I don't recall they were attributed directly to Starmer in the way Rishi has put his name to this last slur
    Do you know that? You do know Rishi approved today's Tweet because he put his name to it.
  • Options

I did suggest 2019was the Brexit election but it seems 2024 may well be the climate change one

https://twitter.com/TmorrowsPapers/status/1683945762902749186?t=PW5NNZqzqr7lpqb1OMAhKQ&s=19

I am not sure over the course of the next 18 months this is as big an issue as you suggest. Maybe more has been read from Uxbridge than was necessary.

That said after Uxbridge I am expecting much, much closer polls for the next couple of months. You are right Rishi played a blinder on Thursday and the hapless Starmer lost big, but does this issue have legs?
    Somerton and Frome and Selby and Ainsty results have been lost in the smog of Uxbridge.

BigG has forgotten however that ULEZ is a specifically health related, rather than a green issue. If Labour and the Mayor in particular could get their messaging out of the blocks it wouldn't take much to suggest that Sunak is defending the asphyxiation of babies and children through automotive pollution for political gain.
    Why then is Starmer demanding change in the policy from Khan

And of course ULEZ is a health issue but it has given the conservatives the opportunity to raise the speed and cost of climate change measures which is now being openly discussed
  • Options

Lab made a mess of this. Why didn't they announce a car scrappage scheme would be brought in under their government for the polluting vehicles?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So have I but I don't recall Palermo Airport being on fire.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm sorry Big_G but you are sadly deluded if you think net zero is going to sway many votes. Four polls conducted since Uxbridge have shown no movement; ULEZ was a local issue not a seminal moment.

Notably there were big votes for the Greens in both of the other by elections, despite a tactical squeeze. 10.2% in Somerton and Frome, 5.2% in Selby, even 2.9% in Uxbridge.

Not exactly hippie central in either place. A Lab campaign has a lot of Green vote to squeeze if Starmer goes strong on Green issues.
    Sunak has an Aussie team for electoral strategy. Anti-Green, anti-woke was trialled there. It cratered.
    Not sure if the authors are pig headed or genuine believers that the more they bang on about it, the more everyone will eventually see their point of view?
    A daily reflection that I might actually be wrong is helpful.
  • Options
    Ironically, climate change denier Julia Hartley Brewer is currently on holiday in Sicily. No Tweets from her today but she posted this yesterday:
    https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1683406448968056834
    Hopefully, she's OK
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. Absolutely.

If Starmer allows forces within Lab to walk him back too far then Green voters who might lend their vote to finally get rid of this terrible and useless government will stick with the environmentalists.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,407
    edited July 2023

Scott_xP said:

And now...

Colin McCarthy
    @US_Stormwatch
    An extraordinary marine heatwave has developed off the east coast of Canada, with hundreds of thousands of square miles of ocean experiencing sea surface temperatures more than 5°C (9°F) above normal and max anomalies approaching 10°C (18°F) above normal.

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1683890913293246464
    Ok, who had "the seas are boiling" on their 2023 bingo card?
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Scott_xP said:

Well quite. Of course Sicily is hot, it's virtually part of the Sahara, but my only complaint about palermo airport is that there is no petrol station on the way there from palermo to top up your hire car.
  • Options

And of course ULEZ is a health issue but it has given the conservatives the opportunity to raise the speed and cost of climate change measures which is now being openly discussed
    It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.
    Permanent revolution against the traitors in the Party.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Do you know that? You do know Rishi approved today's Tweet because he put his name to it.
    This from the Guardian re Starmer is every bit as bad as Sunak today

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/09/keri-starmer-defends-insensitive-labour-advert-on-child-sexual-assaults?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
  • Options

It's actually more about generating revenue for TfL.
  • Options
    [deleted]
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Ironically, climate change denier Julia Hartley Brewer is currently on holiday in Sicily. No Tweets from her today but she posted this yesterday:
    https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1683406448968056834
    Hopefully, she's OK

I'm not sure I will be able to sleep until I have had confirmation of that.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Scott_xP said:

Well quite. Of course Sicily is hot, it's virtually part of the Sahara, but my only complaint about palermo airport is that there is no petrol station on the way there from palermo to top up your hire car.
    Just as well now the airport almost on fire.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

This from the Guardian re Starmer is every bit as bad as Sunak today

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/09/keri-starmer-defends-insensitive-labour-advert-on-child-sexual-assaults?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    Where have I said Sunak is bad? He's a great guy which is why he would be better off leaving the vile stuff to Lee Anderson and Jonathan Gullis.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,628
    Has the House of Commons voted on approving the new constituency boundaries, or is that still to come?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.
    It was brought in for Central London and that is absolutely correct

The error Khan made was to mandate it for outer London without proper discussion and panicking Starmer into demanding a change

Of course Uxbridge will have a large workforce at Heathrow and to suggest that even some should pay £12.50 a day to go to work it was terrible politics
  • Options

dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.

The error Khan made was to mandate it for outer London without proper discussion and panicking Starmer into demanding a change

Of course Uxbridge will have a large workforce at Heathrow and to suggest that even some should pay £12.50 a day to go to work it was terrible politics
    I though its implementation was demanded by Shapps to bail out TFL.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,265

A crucial system of ocean currents is heading for a collapse that ‘would affect every person on the planet’

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/25/world/gulf-stream-atlantic-current-collapse-climate-scn-intl/index.html

Meanwhile

“The Manatee Bay Buoy in the Upper Keys recorded a 101.1 water surface temperature at 6 p.m. Monday, which – pending no data anomalies – would set a new world record.
    stpetecatalyst.com/local-scientis… via @stpetecatalyst”

https://twitter.com/marks__musings/status/1683942555900076034?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

That’s literally like a hot bath
  • Options
    In Algeria 10 soldiers dead while trying to evacuate folk from fires:

https://news.sky.com/story/weather-latest-uk-corfu-rhodes-fires-wildfires-heatwave-holiday-updates-12920226?postid=6213474#liveblog-body

Yet Sunak and BigG are turning their backs. Crisis, What Crisis?
  • Options
    Ah fuck it, we’re all fucking fucked
  • Options

He has no actual principles and doesn't know how to fight or win an argument. So whenever a policy faces opposition he drops it.

• Options
    Imagine getting into the SEA and thinking ‘ouch, no, that’s too hot, where’s the cold tap?’
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449
    Miklosvar said:

Scott_xP said:

The worst is Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, where the Shell near the rental car return charges almost twice the going rate for petrol.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

https://news.sky.com/story/weather-latest-uk-corfu-rhodes-fires-wildfires-heatwave-holiday-updates-12920226?postid=6213474#liveblog-body

I am not turning my back

Climate change is happening but actions to mitigate it have to be proportionate and affordable to the citizens of the UK

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,772

Scott_xP said:

Leader's can reasonably be taken to task for official communications of the party even without personally putting their name to it. It is not exactly plausible deniability at that point, especially when they are not retracted or disavowed, indeed they were followed up on with more such communications.

In that sense Rishi putting his name on it is a difference of degree only. But 'they were mean first' is no defence, especially since there will be something Labour could also point to prior to their communications.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.

Khan did not make a mistake. He arranged for the ULEZ expansion to come into force way before the mayoral election so that it would not be a big problem when the vote took place as the vast majority of the electorate would realise they were not affected. Obviously, the by-election did not suit that timetable but it is not something that Khan could have predicted. It turns out to have taken place at the time of maximum opportunity for the Tories to make it into an issue. But it will now produce diminishing returns. It seems that both the Tories and Labour have not fully understood this.

• Options

dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.

Khan did not make a mistake. He arranged for the ULEZ expansion to come into force way before the mayoral election so that it would not be a big problem when the vote took place as the vast majority of the electorate would realise they were not affected. Obviously, the by-election did not suit that timetable but it is not something that Khan could have predicted. It turns out to have taken place at the time of maximum opportunity for the Tories to make it into an issue. But it will now produce diminishing returns. It seems that both the Tories and Labour have not fully understood this.

As an outsider to me it looks like one of those issues which, sure, will cause some level of stink at implementation, but not anything particularly long lasting once the challenges are concluded. It just doesn't look like it would have legs, once people are used to it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Meanwhile

“The Manatee Bay Buoy in the Upper Keys recorded a 101.1 water surface temperature at 6 p.m. Monday, which – pending no data anomalies – would set a new world record.

https://twitter.com/marks__musings/status/1683942555900076034?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Phoenix is now at 15 consecutive days about 110 degrees, which is a new record. I think Vegas has set a record too.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ah fuck it, we’re all fucking fucked

Sure, but no need to brag about it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I am not turning my back

Climate change is happening but actions to mitigate it have to be proportionate and affordable to the citizens of the UK

There are no actions to mitigate it. We’re likely doomed. It’s baked in the poison cake

I reckon our only hope is AI or aliens. I’m entirely serious
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Has the House of Commons voted on approving the new constituency boundaries, or is that still to come?

They do not vote on it at all. The government has to prepare an Order for Privy Council consideration. Realistically it's hard to see how they could avoid that (they must prepare the Order by law, not getting the King to sign it seems impractical to say the least).
    https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/2023-review/

A smart and sensible decision by Boris's government to simplify the process and prevent the electoral equivalent of nimbyism from wasting everyone's time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,589
    The BBC are making international news again, this time by asking crass questions of the Moroccan women’s football captain about whether there are any lesbians in the team.

https://twitter.com/dlf_sport/status/1683384872910430209
  • Options

Foxy said:

I am not turning my back

Either we spend money now or we spend much more later, to less effect. The Tories are repeating the same old mistakes of doing too little, too late. They would still have children down the mines if they hadn't been dragged into the modern world.
  • Options

The BBC are making international news again, this time by asking crass questions of the Moroccan women’s football captain about whether there are any lesbians in the team.

You couldn’t make it up
  • Options
    Sure, the Earth is warming, but if we compare ourselves to Venus we're doing just fine, so I don't know what people are complaining about.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile

Phoenix is now at 15 consecutive days about 110 degrees, which is a new record. I think Vegas has set a record too.
    Southern and western USA could become uninhabitable. Northern USA is meh

You will all have to live up in the Rockies, which are quite dull

Meanwhile Western Europe will turn into Alaska as the Gulf Stream fails

Let’s all move to the Caucasus
  • Options

Foxy said:

I am not turning my back

Unsarcastically, what does "proportionate" mean in this context?
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile

Siberia should be available - Russia's demographic problem solved.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.

As an outsider to me it looks like one of those issues which, sure, will cause some level of stink at implementation, but not anything particularly long lasting once the challenges are concluded. It just doesn't look like it would have legs, once people are used to it.

Yep, the by-election came at precisely the right time for the Tories which made it absolutely the wrong time for Labour. But Labour fought an awful, defensive campaign that basically allowed the Tories to frame the entire narrative. It was a very poor effort. It was also ridiculous to allow it to become the weekend story. Hopefully a few lessons have ben learned. But I have my doubts.

• Options

Absurd: surely they should be asking if there any heterosexuals on the team.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I am not turning my back

Either we spend money now or we spend much more later, to less effect. The Tories are repeating the same old mistakes of doing too little, too late. They would still have children down the mines if they hadn't been dragged into the modern world.
    I am not sure if you are aware but there is no money to borrow, indeed Starmer recognises this and has dropped his 28 billion annual green spend from his offer to the UK

None of this is easy and certainly I support all reasonable steps to move to net zero but not at any cost
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I am not turning my back

They inflicted Boris Johnson on us knowing who he was because they saw short term gains from it. They are now peddling back on climate change mitigation, despite knowing how vital it is, because they see short term gains. I doubt they can fool enough people a second time, though.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Sure, the Earth is warming, but if we compare ourselves to Venus we're doing just fine, so I don't know what people are complaining about.

Also, Mercury. They have scalding 4,000C rivers of iron and arsenic pouring out of volcanoes made of burning plutonium

Try living THERE.

Perspective, everyone
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Michael Crick talks about the Coutts/NatWest saga with Jerry Hayes and JRM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTQyjl8hEos
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

I am not turning my back

Only one leg lost to fire.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,964
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.

Once it's happened, once more people have gone to the trouble and genuine expense of changing their vehicle, it's hard to see what the attraction will be in going back.

Mostly I'm fine with Sadiq as an effective Mayor of the "you know local government is effective when you don't notice it" subspecies. But this is an issue where he- or someone- does need to be loud'n'proud about the point of the plan and the help available.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile

Siberia should be available - Russia's demographic problem solved.
    I’ve been to Siberia. Ugly and boring and polluted by communism

The Georgian Caucasus should be fine. About 1500m up

Beautiful and green and we can grow wine. Bit of a tight squeeze for 8bn people but we’ll manage
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

I am not turning my back

Banning all new North Sea oil licences is not proportionate as is the idea of making it more difficult to sell homes by imposing draconian rules on heating systems
  • Options

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.

Yep, the by-election came at precisely the right time for the Tories which made it absolutely the wrong time for Labour. But Labour fought an awful, defensive campaign that basically allowed the Tories to frame the entire narrative. It was a very poor effort. It was also ridiculous to allow it to become the weekend story. Hopefully a few lessons have ben learned. But I have my doubts.

I think Labour drew the wrong message from their feeble campaign in Uxbridge. 893 Green votes could have got them over the line. Instead the Green vote went up.

Labour needs to campaign with a positive message, like clean air, mitigated by a scrappage scheme for old diesels.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It is quite striking how openly gay players are celebrated in Women's football, but invisible in the men's game.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

They do not vote on it at all. The government has to prepare an Order for Privy Council consideration. Realistically it's hard to see how they could avoid that (they must prepare the Order by law, not getting the King to sign it seems impractical to say the least).
    https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/2023-review/

A smart and sensible decision by Boris's government to simplify the process and prevent the electoral equivalent of nimbyism from wasting everyone's time.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Why do people post things to Facebook that are clearly utter shit?

How do we - as humans - avoid just repeating stuff just because we think it ought to be true.

(Actual data on deaths, from the UN, is here: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/number-of-deaths-per-year)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,589
    Farage on the brink of claiming his first scalp.

Revealed: The board of NatWest Group is meeting now to determine the future of Dame Alison Rose, its CEO, after she admitted disclosing inappropriate information to a BBC journalist. It’s expected that she will step down although no final decision has been taken. More soon.

https://twitter.com/markkleinmansky/status/1683963592742240257
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.

I think Labour drew the wrong message from their feeble campaign in Uxbridge. 893 Green votes could have got them over the line. Instead the Green vote went up.

Labour needs to campaign with a positive message, like clean air, mitigated by a scrappage scheme for old diesels.

If there is one lesson I'd like Labour to learn from Pedro Sanchez in Spain (there are many but let's restrict it to one), it is to campaign without fear. Don't allow the right to dictate the narrative, stand up for what you believe in, defend it to the hilt. But Labour is so damaged by past experience it just cannot think straight on this.

• Options

Revealed: The board of NatWest Group is meeting now to determine the future of Dame Alison Rose, its CEO, after she admitted disclosing inappropriate information to a BBC journalist. It’s expected that she will step down although no final decision has been taken. More soon.

I don't see how any bank boss can possibly survive discussing a client's confidential details with a journalist - or anyone else for that matter. I don't blame the journalist, of course you are going to report what a CEO told you, but the Dame Alison? She has not got a leg to stand on. Or am I missing something here?

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,573
    Meanwhile, here in the Seattle area, the temperature is 72 degrees Fahrenheit, and sunny. Similar weather is predicted for the rest of the week.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

How do we - as humans - avoid just repeating stuff just because we think it ought to be true.

If you figure it out I think you may be Emperor of Earth by the following week.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Homosexuality is a jailable offence in Morocco. if she had outed herself or her teammates, they would be imprisoned. We have become very blasé about gay rights and a lot of the support is performative or virtue signalling. When such insouciance collides with virulently homophobic countries, where outing somebody would put them in danger of socially sanctioned violence or state punishment, it can cause real harm. The reporter should have his arse smacked.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,379
    edited July 2023
    FF43 said:

Is that necessarily a winning formula?
    I don't know if this is accurate, but something the opposition could play with:

If David Cameron hadn't "cut the green crap" from 2013 onwards, then over the past year…

💷UK energy bills would have been £9.8bn lower
    🚢UK net gas imports would have been 23% lower
    ❤️‍🔥UK gas demand overall would have been 9% lower

https://twitter.com/DrSimEvans/status/1683766407618600961
    @Big_G_NorthWales Every time we delay going "green", the economy, Putin or the environment finds a way to bite us on the the bum.

The UK had - and has - a unique opportunity to go ultra-green. Emerald. Green and rich!

Off-shore wind. The Severn estuary. 80 per cent of us live in urban areas. Public transport, cycling, walking. HS2. HS3. HS4.

Even the Americans have recognised the opportunity. The Tories' policy on the "green crap" will see our country wither and die, just like them.
  • Options

I don't see how any bank boss can possibly survive discussing a client's confidential details with a journalist - or anyone else for that matter. I don't blame the journalist, of course you are going to report what a CEO told you, but the Dame Alison? She has not got a leg to stand on. Or am I missing something here?

In banking, the first rule of talking to journalists is don’t. The chances you will advance your career are tiny. The chances you end your career are excellent.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,573
    Foxy - It's my impression, judging from what I see in the US that the difference is real, that there are more bisexuals in women's sports here, than in men's sports. (I don't know of any studies of the subject -- which would be tricky to conduct.)
  • Options
    edited July 2023

No, you’re not. She Ratner’d the Coutts brand. It may not ever recover. It’s a modest but not insignificant percentage of the entire bank that is NatWest

She has to go, and Coutts needs to rethink whether it can be a private bank or a pioneer of Woke capitalism that refuses right wing clients. It cannot be both
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,326

Can Farage spin this moment of renewed relevance into a political revival? Does he even want to? What's his motive in all this?
  • Options

Foxy - It's my impression, judging from what I see in the US that the difference is real, that there are more bisexuals in women's sports here, than in men's sports. (I don't know of any studies of the subject -- which would be tricky to conduct.)

I think it is a genuine phenomenon, but also a lot of blokes in the closet.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    carnforth said:

Can Farage spin this moment of renewed relevance into a political revival? Does he even want to? What's his motive in all this?
    No, and no, is my guess

But a hefty win in a defamation case and a pleasing victory over the Woke Remoaners: Yes
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,165
    Leon said:

No, you’re not. She Ratner’d the Coutts brand. It may not ever recover. It’s a modest but not insignificant percentage of the entire bank that is NatWest

She has to go, and Coutts needs to rethink whether it can be a private bank or a pioneer of Woke capitalism that refuses right wing clients. It cannot be both
    It has nothing to do with the moral duty to be a private banker to a man who says African immigrants bring AIDS, and everything to do with talking about a client to a journalist.
  • Options

Meanwhile, here in the Seattle area, the temperature is 72 degrees Fahrenheit, and sunny. Similar weather is predicted for the rest of the week.

You mean 22 degrees Celsius.

You're welcome :)
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,326
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

No, and no, is my guess

But a hefty win in a libel court and a pleasing victory over the Woke Remoaners: Yes
    Not sure of the basis for Libel. The report suggested members of the public perceived him as a liar and a racist and a grifter. It didn't claim he was.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

I am not turning my back

Banning all new North Sea oil licences is not proportionate as is the idea of making it more difficult to sell homes by imposing draconian rules on heating systems
    Ah I see. I would have used the words "applicable", "useful" and/or "plausible" instead of "proportionate". But I understand now, thank you.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Leon said:

It has nothing to do with the moral duty to be a private banker to a man who says African immigrants bring AIDS, and everything to do with talking about a client to a journalist.
    Idiot. The whole point of private banks is discretion. You overtly don’t care about your clients’ political views and you certainly don’t trawl their social media accounts for retweets of Ricky Gervais maybe being ‘transphobic’

It’s absurd. Coutts is probably finished
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

No, and no, is my guess

But a hefty win in a libel court and a pleasing victory over the Woke Remoaners: Yes
    Not sure of the basis for Libel. The report suggested members of the public perceived him as a liar and a racist and a grifter. It didn't claim he was.
    Defamation, is better, as I amended my comment

But I agree he may not risk it. He has other ways of gaining revenge, now
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I think it is a genuine phenomenon, but also a lot of blokes in the closet.
    It's somewhat difficult to say statistically how many might be gay, both because the figures on that probably have a wide range of estimates, and because by their very nature as elite athletes professional footballers are not 'average' in every respect statistically, but it seems very unlikely there are not quite a lot. It seems remarkable there are not prominent current players who are known.

The problem is that "delay net zero" just means don't do anything.

And we're paying the price for it each time we delay it.

Delaying is over, it is time to do something about it so we don't have this conversation in 10 years time again. The UK is literally one of the best countries on Earth for renewable energy potential.

There are some activists who argue to 'do something' and in essence argue to immediately do everything, which is neither realistic nor necessarily the best option for all they argue for. But they are outnumbered by people who do the 'not now' thing which in effect probably means never, since the same arguments for delay would probably apply later.

I suppose the key is not to promise the earth, if one can use the expression, but to genuinely be ready to seize on opportunities as they emerge and take action, not just talk about maybe one day doing it.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,165
    Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Idiot. The whole point of private banks is discretion. You overtly don’t care about your clients’ political views and you certainly don’t trawl their social media accounts for retweets of Ricky Gervais maybe being ‘transphobic’

It’s absurd. Coutts is probably finished
    Incredible as it may seem to you, even Farage is merely a "hired help" level agitator to the typical client of a private bank, putting a pound shop Taki like you several rungs below.
  • Options

I must admit, I had neither boiling oceans nor Farage getting the CEO of NatWest fired on my 2023 bingo card.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

No, and no, is my guess

It wouldn’t a libel court.

Disclosing client information to a journalist is a no no. Giving an inaccurate version to the journalist means that she is deeply stupid.

It is quite possible that she didn’t know the actual situation. Even disclosing such client information *internally* has serious checks, in most banks. Contrary to the movies, she couldn’t just login and dig through Farage’s balance. It is quite possible that she gave an internal rumour/third hand information to the journalist.

Which makes her stupid * stupid.

And she lost a game of Truth with Nigel Fucking Farage. Which makes her stupid * stupid * stupid, I suppose
  • Options

The problem is that "delay net zero" just means don't do anything.

And we're paying the price for it each time we delay it.

Delaying is over, it is time to do something about it so we don't have this conversation in 10 years time again. The UK is literally one of the best countries on Earth for renewable energy potential.

Nobody is suggesting delaying net zero by 2050

However it is reasonable to question why the UK is banning the sale of ICE vehicles by 2030 when the EU is continuing until 2035

Furthermore measures have to be affordable not only to the population but also the government and in a clear recognition of this Starmer has abandoned his 28 billion a year green commitment

It is not all or nothing, it is making progress across all fronts at a pace that is realistic
  • Options

In banking, the first rule of talking to journalists is don’t. The chances you will advance your career are tiny. The chances you end your career are excellent.
    The first two words and the comma are unnecessary
  • Options
    Leon said:

Coutts is genuinely shit. And has been for a long time.

If you want a proper private UK bank, there is Hoare's. And that is about it. (RBS used to have Adam & Co, but they closed it down, and transferred its clients - like me - to Coutts. Bastards.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

If you want a proper private UK bank, there is Hoare's. And that is about it. (RBS used to have Adam & Co, but they closed it down, and transferred its clients - like me - to Coutts. Bastards.)
    I remember Coutt’s being a bit wanky back in the 90s. Arrivistes used it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What about Rothschilds?

I know one bank that, as a result of a few dissatisfied customers/employees lost so much of their private banking business, that they had to close the U.K. private banking business as no longer viable.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,563
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Hoare's of course connected to Charles, late of this Parish
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I remember Coutt’s being a bit wanky back in the 90s. Arrivistes used it
    That was when NatWest were trying the Amex style thing of flogging a premium brand to the masses. 30k salary was the eligibility requirement.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What about Rothschilds?

I know one bank that, as a result of a few dissatisfied customers/employees lost so much of their private banking business, that they had to close the U.K. private banking business as no longer viable.
    I didn't know they offered private banking services.

As I am now US tax resident, I can't change UK banks as no one will have me. Sniff.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,563

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.

If there is one lesson I'd like Labour to learn from Pedro Sanchez in Spain (there are many but let's restrict it to one), it is to campaign without fear. Don't allow the right to dictate the narrative, stand up for what you believe in, defend it to the hilt. But Labour is so damaged by past experience it just cannot think straight on this.

Except Sanchez still lost, even if he did better than expected.

The PP won most seats not his PSOE
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It's a Tory policy.
    Trotskyism in action.

Except Sanchez still lost, even if he did better than expected.

The PP won most seats not his PSOE
    I expect PP to take power in Spain after a second election later this year, with Vox going even lower.
This discussion has been closed.