Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The polling that should worry LAB majority punters – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited July 2023
    Peck said:

TimS said:

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    47m
    William Hague says both parties must fight the next election with a promise of hope…

I’ve spoken to quite a few MPs who think it will actually be fought on the opposite - fear

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1683808289333682176

===

Personally, I think it will be worst and most negative, snarky and downright aggressive election in a long time.

Tories will throw the kitchen sink at Labour out of a raging at the dying of the light and Lab are gearing up to throw the dirt back imho.

I don't think it will be as bad as 2019. Cummings isn't involved for a start. It won't be pretty, but Sunak and Starmer just don't do nastiness the same way Johnson and Corbyn did.
    Unfair on Corbyn himself (though not on some of his fans). Despite his manifest shortcomings, one thing he didn't do was descend to personal abuse. Rather like Tony Benn in that regard.
    Yes, you are right. Johnson said other Tories wanted to "surrender" to foreign states, pushed the anti-Semitic slur against Corbyn with the help of the Tory gutter media including the BBC, while the said media was printing lines such as that Corbyn wears a beard and is therefore just like a jihadist bomber and here's a picture of him in a winter hat and doesn't he look Russian. Then later he linked Keir Starmer's name with Jimmy Savile's.

Corbyn should have stuck the boot in against corruption, lies, the private schools, the City, and the ruling class generally, but he's too nice. "Tories like fighting in the gutter because that's where they belong, takers of Russian money that they are." But of course he didn't say that. He tried "They go low, we go high".

The next election will be just as nasty, perhaps not so personalised nasty, given the way Sunak's and Starmer's respective brands have been positioned, but it's not even clear they'll still be the leaders.

Re. Sunak, there could be 18 months to go and there are bound to be some more by-elections.

To put it very crudely, the Carlton Club or men in grey suits or association of constituency chairmen after taking phone calls from Jacob, or however we are supposed to frame it, may well decide that they want to honkify the senior rank of the visible party to win votes and if they do it could be back to hedge fund work for Sunak.
  • CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1683782095213035522

This is what we’re up against.

The Labour Party, a subset of lawyers, criminal gangs - they're all on the same side, propping up a system of exploitation that profits from getting people to the UK illegally.

Rishi Sunak is a fucktard.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544

Nigelb said:

Labour urged to work with Tories to counter ‘ignorant’ climate policy attacks
    Tory former minister and chair of Climate Change Committee condemns ‘absolutely unacceptable’ attacks on Labour stance
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/25/labour-urged-to-work-with-tories-to-counter-ignorant-climate-policy-attacks

But Shappsy is getting some big anti- green wins against woke Labour.

They might be disingenuous wins, but a win is a win.
    Kicking a ball into an empty net is easy, unless you're Diana Ross.

Labour needs to find the backbone to defend its policies and to explain them. The Tories might have more trouble then.

Spot on. In 2019, the Tories made Boris Johnson their leader knowing what a disaster he would be because they saw short term advantage in it. Now they are back peddling on Net Zero for exactly the same reasons. Labour needs to grow a pair and call them out in it.

It would be good to see Conservatives doing the same. (I get the impression Gove is trying). After all, conserving things, passing on a good inheritance to future generations, that's what it's meant to be about? Isn't it?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

viewcode said:

Starmer is not even at the Vote Labour and Win a Microwave stage. You know who else ran essentially negative campaigns? David Cameron. He turned a big lead into a hung parliament, almost lost Scotland and did lose Brexit. Yet the centrists around Starmer think Cameron was a political genius, or at least, they act as if they do.

I think big opposition leads are often illusory to an extent. Most people are not politically engaged (despite @heathener seemingly encountering folk who's opening gambit is 'what about that Sunak, then'). They don't really think about politics in the way that many on PB do. When they are polled, they are pissed off with the current government and say that they will vote for someone else.

And then when the election rolls round, its on the news all the time, they suddenly start to notice a bit, and maybe the opposition isn't quite as attractive as they thought, and maybe "free owls for all" isn't believable, and some of them do what they said they wouldn't, and vote for the bloody government again.

Did Cameron blow a big lead? Did May? Or were those leads built on sand?
    Famously, May did blow a very big lead. Were you making a humorous point?
    Though that was much more about Labour increasing their support over the campaign than it was May losing support.
    In retrospect May waited too long to call the election. If she'd done it before invoking Article 50 it would have been a very different campaign and she'd probably have got a huge majority.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

Ed Sec Gillian Keegan tweets Xs:-

I'm pleased that we have now fulfilled our pledge to make sure every state school in England has a defibrillator
    https://twitter.com/GillianKeegan/status/1683750449168412673

Good news but are schoolchildren really keeling over with heart attacks on a daily basis, or even an annual basis? From what the news would have you believe, bleeding control kits for stab victims would be a better investment. Or give them both.

https://www.c-r-y.org.uk/
    How many children have heart attacks in a year in school?
    How many of them die/do not recover if a defibrillator is not available?
    How many of them die/do not recover if a defibrillator is available?
    Teachers, other staff, passers by whose companions know that schools have defibrillators.
    Thank you for providing nouns, but I was hoping for numbers...☹️
    Some numbers. For Denmark - about a tenth the English population, albeit with some pre-schoolers. 214 deaths a year, and therew'd be heart attacks which don't lead to deaths to add to that.

https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/article/35/13/868/633740

Edit: crude enough for a sniff test - about 2K [edit] deaths in English schools, about 25K schools - so better than one in ten chance of a particular kit being used.
    Seems to have been an issue in school circles back in 2018 or so. Though the number of SCA (Sudden Cardiac Arrests quoted is 217 a year, with a potential survival rate increased from 6% to 74% if treatment received in 3-5 minutes.

https://www.parents-news.co.uk/featured/270-children-die-in-school-each-year-of-sca

Ballpark that's one in 1% of schools for child SCA.

On the numbers that is worth the small investment I'd say.

Perhaps re-integration of special schools and similar was a factor?

Research shows that 270 children die in school each year as a result of a sudden cardiac arrest (SCA), with an average of 12 healthy young people suffering from fatal undiagnosed heart conditions each week.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    BTW - did anyone else watch the Gregg Wallace nonsense on Ch4 yesterday. Purported to be a genuine doc about cultured meat (interesting topic) but was in fact a mockumentary/brass eye thing. The guardian seems to think it was a classic - I thought it was rubbish, and rather obvious; As soon as they referred to growing meat from human donors it was obvious followed by the ridiculously fast pace of growth from the seed tissue.

I'm not sure what the point of the whole thing was. Growing lab cultured meat is an honest endeavour, and should be palatable to vegetarians. Its possible, although not yet at scale enough to be cheap.

Guardian review

https://theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jul/25/the-anger-of-it-will-linger-for-years-is-the-british-miracle-meat-the-most-disturbing-tv-satire-ever
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019

I'm pleased that we have now fulfilled our pledge to make sure every state school in England has a defibrillator

Good news but are schoolchildren really keeling over with heart attacks on a daily basis, or even an annual basis? From what the news would have you believe, bleeding control kits for stab victims would be a better investment. Or give them both.

And how many people in the school will know how to use one in the event that (most likely) a member of staff has a heart attack.

Its back to the link on posted on the last thread giving the example of £250m throw at bin collection, but nobody knows if it was a good idea, if it was well spent, how effective it was, could that money have been spent elsewhere.
    I think the defibrillators that are available to the public work automatically. You just put it on their chest and it does the rest.
    viewcode said:

Starmer is not even at the Vote Labour and Win a Microwave stage. You know who else ran essentially negative campaigns? David Cameron. He turned a big lead into a hung parliament, almost lost Scotland and did lose Brexit. Yet the centrists around Starmer think Cameron was a political genius, or at least, they act as if they do.

I think big opposition leads are often illusory to an extent. Most people are not politically engaged (despite @heathener seemingly encountering folk who's opening gambit is 'what about that Sunak, then'). They don't really think about politics in the way that many on PB do. When they are polled, they are pissed off with the current government and say that they will vote for someone else.

And then when the election rolls round, its on the news all the time, they suddenly start to notice a bit, and maybe the opposition isn't quite as attractive as they thought, and maybe "free owls for all" isn't believable, and some of them do what they said they wouldn't, and vote for the bloody government again.

The point was that the leads are often illusory.
    edited July 2023
    CatMan said:

And how many people in the school will know how to use one in the event that (most likely) a member of staff has a heart attack.

Its back to the link on posted on the last thread giving the example of £250m throw at bin collection, but nobody knows if it was a good idea, if it was well spent, how effective it was, could that money have been spent elsewhere.
    I think the defibrillators that are available to the public work automatically. You just put it on their chest and it does the rest.
    Yep, and cost from about £1000 - so not very expensive in the context.

Our gym one was done as a 'charity project of the year'.

Politically it is a cheap and easy win.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Hey @Sunil_Prasannan are you going to visit Britain’s newest railway station?

It’s a thing of beauty alright. Look at that bench. It’s our version of St Pancras

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

The Labour Party, a subset of lawyers, criminal gangs - they're all on the same side, propping up a system of exploitation that profits from getting people to the UK illegally.

After his big win against the odds last Friday Rishi Sunak has taken the gloves off. Expect a reheating of the Starmer-Savile accusation.

Lefty Lawyer bashing is a winning strategy, linking it with the Daily Mail asylum seeker sting is genius.
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

Maybe. But anecdotally (I know, I know...) I know a lot of Tory voters who say that re-electing the current Government is clearly, definitively, a bad idea, but nobody else seems to offer much, so they are DEFINITELY not going to vote. It's not the usual sort of "dunno really, will decide on the day" attitude that tends to lead to swingback. Some will clearly drift back all the same, but some will also vote for an alternative if one of the Opposition parties does offer something positive.

Nick they're telling _you_ they're not going to vote but in your vast experience how many people actually do sit out an election for whatever reason.

They are facing the same dilemma as I am - long time Tory voter, disgusted by the Boris era, hence left the party, and now facing either Sunak's Cons or Lab.

And you know what? I would have difficulty in voting Lab because I really don't think they like me...
    Bbbut...you have a fetching hat! How can people not like you?

:)

Won't they think it's membership of the Bullingdon? Or expert level Monopoly?

Though TBF I can't make any claims about hats with my current logo.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

Maybe. But anecdotally (I know, I know...) I know a lot of Tory voters who say that re-electing the current Government is clearly, definitively, a bad idea, but nobody else seems to offer much, so they are DEFINITELY not going to vote. It's not the usual sort of "dunno really, will decide on the day" attitude that tends to lead to swingback. Some will clearly drift back all the same, but some will also vote for an alternative if one of the Opposition parties does offer something positive.

Nick they're telling _you_ they're not going to vote but in your vast experience how many people actually do sit out an election for whatever reason.

They are facing the same dilemma as I am - long time Tory voter, disgusted by the Boris era, hence left the party, and now facing either Sunak's Cons or Lab.

And you know what? I would have difficulty in voting Lab because I really don't think they like me.

I went to see my 93-year old mother the other day and her copy of the Times was open showing a picture of one Tony Blair. I asked her what she was reading (she is at the stage of remembering her maths tutor at school but not what she had for breakfast that day) and she replied that Tony Blair succeeded because he convinced people that his Labour Party didn't hate them and wanted to provide politics for all. A simple premise but one that I don't think your Party has followed for some time.
    Yes...after my confident assertion earlier I looked up the Opinium poll and actually Mike is right and I'm wrong - only 2% of 2019 Con voters say they won't vote, and 30% say they don't know.

On the "liking" point, I think that there are few people left in Labour who hate anyone very much, but there's a broad failure to understand why anyone would still vote Tory - we can see why one might be a fan of Thatcher or indeed Boris, but currently the Government just seem a fag-end administration with no particular appeal. Most Labour people have a personal priority - the NHS, childcare, the environment, etc. - and you'd be right to think they will want to prioritise their favourite cause rather than simply governing dispassionately for all. But Starmer does get it - he's not at all interested in being the champion of a few causes at the expense of the wider common interest. I'm not sure he positively likes you, but you're safe against vindictive policies.
    Not voting for a party because you sense they hate you has probably been a phenomenon affecting Labour for a long time, given they have always said things that implied they dislike the rich, but I think it now has wider application across the parties. Every major party appears to hate - and to revel in hating - certain groups of voters.

I would find the idea of voting Tory these days completely alien because most days one of them is in the press saying how much people like me are a problem. The woke blob, metropolitan liberals, remoaners, Londoners more broadly. Why would I vote for a party who profess to hate my type?

The SNP - particularly their footsoldiers - are at Corbyn levels in their sneering at "yoons" or the English, but then they want or don't need them as voters. They just need fellow pro-indy travellers.

The Lib Dems try to be nicey-nicey with everyone, and it's easier now than it was in the aftermath of the referendum, but there are still large swathes of the population who think the Lib Dems hold them in contempt for voting Brexit.

Starmer is attempting to avoid looking like he hates any groups in society, except of course his own far Left. I suspect there will be residual suspicion among traditionalist voters that he thinks they are all racist transphobic bigots though.

Yep, the Tories have basically told half the country - the bit that lives in cities, is under 50, voted Remain, doesn't want the BBC closed down, supports Net Zero, doesn't think cartoons should be painted over at refugee centres for kids, etc - that they are woke anti-British elitists who do not merit anything other than total scorn.

I suspect more people under 50 dont see the point of the bbc than the over 50's
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

It’s a thing of beauty alright. Look at that bench. It’s our version of St Pancras

It's just a car park with a station attached. [Edit] Who wants to look at it? You can't even see anything from the platforms cos noise barriers. Or may be wind barriers. No namby pamby canopied roof for the hardy Commuters of Kent, or perhaps they are Kentich Commuters, I can never remember which. Just a few surplus shelters left over from the last but three Brexit processing camp plans.

See air photo here

https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/more-travel-help/thanet-parkway-station
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135

Boris Johnson said Corbyn hated Britain. I dislike the man - now - but that was an outrageous slur.

Both the hard left and hard right clearly hate significant parts of Britain, whilst of course liking other parts. That leaves us centrists as the only true patriots!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    edited July 2023

After his big win against the odds last Friday Rishi Sunak has taken the gloves off. Expect a reheating of the Starmer-Savile accusation.

Lefty Lawyer bashing is a winning strategy, linking it with the Daily Mail asylum seeker sting is genius.
    Now here's the question, are these (ex one would hope) solicitors just "bad apples" or has the Mail tapped a seam of institutional corruption present within solicitors dealing with immigration matters ?
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

It's just a car park with a station attached. [Edit] Who wants to look at it? You can't even see anything from the platforms cos noise barriers. Or may be wind barriers. No namby pamby canopied roof for the hardy Commuters of Kent, or perhaps they are Kentich Commuters, I can never remember which. Just a few surplus shelters left over from the last but three Brexit processing camp plans.

See air photo here

https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/more-travel-help/thanet-parkway-station
    It’s extraordinarily hideous and unfriendly. How can architects and planners still get away with buildings this bad?

As you note, there is no shelter from the weather. So if you alight from the train and have to wait for a car, taxi (highly likely) and it’s raining: tough shit

Mind boggling
    Pulpstar said:

Now here's the question, are these (ex one would hope) solicitors just "bad apples" or has the Mail tapped a seam of institutional corruption present within solicitors dealing with immigration matters ?
    Nick Ferrari who's year long anti -Ulez campaign set the agenda for last Thursday was over it like a rash today. This is going to be a major thread against DPP Starmer-Labour.

It's not like the Conservative front bench are lawyers ( irony) before the corrections flood in.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Pulpstar said:

What's the historic split of Tory "don't know" at the prior election compared to say a year out from the next one and how have those 'don't knows' eventually split ?

My rule of thumb is that DKs largely break like the rest of the former voters, so 39 to Con, 12 to Lab, 11 to Refuk etc. It never seems very far out.

• bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    edited July 2023

Boris Johnson said Corbyn hated Britain. I dislike the man - now - but that was an outrageous slur.

Boris Johnson lied about something?!

Edit: Seeing that tweet from Sunak, maybe I should have said… The Conservatives lied about something?!
    Lock up all the architects until we can figure out what the hell is going on.
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

It’s extraordinarily hideous and unfriendly. How can architects and planners still get away with buildings this bad?

As you note, there is no shelter from the weather. So if you alight from the train and have to wait for a car, taxi (highly likely) and it’s raining: tough shit

Mind boggling
    It's actually on the edge of Cliffsend, the village above Pegwell Bay, on the Manston side. I wonder what William Dyce the artisat of the eponymous work would say about that contribution to the landscape.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

Starmer does well when he's a bit riled up and energised by Tory sneering though. His best performances in the commons were against Johnson at the height of partygate and when the Savile slur was being put about. Given Labour's biggest recent weakness has been timidity I'm hopeful that a bit of negative Tory campaigning might actually give Starmer back some of his mojo.
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling
    It's oddly retro too. The pink and beige brickwork is straight out of the late 80s Isle of Dogs.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    edited July 2023

His [Sunak's] plan on how to stop it involves [checks notes] letting them in legally instead to be baristas.

I wish I was making that up.

• StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling
    Si monumentum requiris circumspice.

Humane and civilised doesn't have to mean Poundbury or mansion block pastiche, but when we build stuff like that, no wonder people get nostalgic.

As with the littering and lack of flower beds, we seem to have decided that we shouldn't have anything nice.
    TimS said:

Starmer does well when he's a bit riled up and energised by Tory sneering though. His best performances in the commons were against Johnson at the height of partygate and when the Savile slur was being put about. Given Labour's biggest recent weakness has been timidity I'm hopeful that a bit of negative Tory campaigning might actually give Starmer back some of his mojo.
    I find it rather sad that politicians resort to obvious lies such as the Saville stuff (from the Tories) and those ridiculous posters (from Labour). I won't even bring up Lib Dem bar charts...

Is it too much to expect a bit of positive campaigning? Tell us how you will try to make the country a better place?
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling
    I have seen worse, tbh. Stations east of That London aren't great.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Rishi's tweet has done 1.1 million views with the Daily Mail article attaining 1.9k shares.

Gloves off as @Mexicanpete says.

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling
    Si monumentum requiris circumspice.

Humane and civilised doesn't have to mean Poundbury or mansion block pastiche, but when we build stuff like that, no wonder people get nostalgic.

As with the littering and lack of flower beds, we seem to have decided that we shouldn't have anything nice.
    We definitely need to volunteer Sunil to go and investigate and report back.

I wonder if it is possible to get into the village where the housing estate abuts against the station footprint? Bit shit for the locals in what used to be a cul de sac, but the alternative is a long walk arouind the road junction.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157

Both the hard left and hard right clearly hate significant parts of Britain, whilst of course liking other parts. That leaves us centrists as the only true patriots!
    Slur? Against Corbyn? I think it is true that Corbyn hates Britain and everything associated with it, as many hard leftists do. He probably hates England even more. I suspect if he were given the choice he would chose to be Russian or maybe Venezuelan.

Even Johnson tells the truth occasionally
    Pulpstar said:

Rishi's tweet has done 1.1 million views with the Daily Mail article attaining 1.9k shares.

Labour should take a leaf out of Donald Tusk's playbook and attack the Conservatives from the right by pointing out how they've failed to control immigration.
  • viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling
    It's also unnecessary now apparently, due to WFH.

But it's in keeping with the utterly thoughtless over-development which is ruining Thanet.

It made it through planning.

Imagine what we would get if the planning system did not exist !
    edited July 2023

Pulpstar said:

Labour should take a leaf out of Donald Tusk's playbook and attack the Conservatives from the right by pointing out how they've failed to control immigration.
    That would be some hostage to fortune in the unlikely event Labour were to win an election.

Conservatives are the anti-immigration party, even if the evidence suggests otherwise.
    viewcode said:

His [Sunak's] plan on how to stop it involves [checks notes] letting them in legally instead to be baristas.

And builders - as someone pointed out the other day, that bridgehead has already been conceded to the 'enemy'.
    MattW said:

I actually want people that make things like that to go to jail

This is why we all want Poundbury. If architects and planners are incapable of beauty, and far too many of them are, then it must be imposed on them, and all agency taken away from them. There will be style books they have to follow. Traditional station architecture. Nice gables and arches and canopies. Victoriana

I don’t care if it is pastiche it will be MILES BETTER THAN THAT

edited July 2023

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

But it's in keeping with the utterly thoughtless over-development which is ruining Thanet.
    More pictures: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/kent/thanet-parkway-station/

Ngk, I dunno. It isn't great - as you correctly point out, that flat expanse will be bleak and bitter in winter. But it's a parkway, and it's only there to serve the commuters in the local estate. It'll never be loved, but it's functional enough. It's similar to some others I've seen, and better in some cases.

Tell you what. I'll wait for Sunil or Geoff Marshal to go to it and see what they say

Slur? Against Corbyn? I think it is true that Corbyn hates Britain and everything associated with it, as many hard leftists do. He probably hates England even more. I suspect if he were given the choice he would chose to be Russian or maybe Venezuelan.

Even Johnson tells the truth occasionally
    Whereas Corbyn's allegiance would appear to lie with Soviet Russia, evidenced by his reaction to the Salisbury poisonings, at least Corbyn never sold the nation down the river for personal aggrandisement. Two bloody letters, indeed!
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

I am fed up of hearing about Rishi's plans.

He and his jumped up bunch of twats have been in power for 13 years, how much more time are they supposed to have?

Re: the Prime Minister, his cabinet, government, caucus AND party

"plan", "planning", etc., etc. = running around like decapitated chickens
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

More pictures: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/kent/thanet-parkway-station/

Ngk, I dunno. It isn't great - as you correctly point out, that flat expanse will be bleak and bitter in winter. But it's a parkway, and it's only there to serve the commuters in the local estate. It'll never be loved, but it's functional enough. It's similar to some others I've seen, and better in some cases.

Tell you what. I'll wait for Sunil or Geoff Marshal to go to it and see what they say
    Why the fuck is “functional enough” ever acceptable?!

I find mindsets like yours entirely incomprehensible
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Leon said:

MattW said:

This is why we all want Poundbury. If architects and planners are incapable of beauty, and far too many of them are, then it must be imposed on them, and all agency taken away from them. There will be style books they have to follow. Traditional station architecture. Nice gables and arches and canopies. Victoriana

At the risk of giving myself high blood pressure, what are you referring to?

Leon said:

MattW said:

Thanet Parkway railway station.

Nigelb said:

Labour urged to work with Tories to counter ‘ignorant’ climate policy attacks
    Tory former minister and chair of Climate Change Committee condemns ‘absolutely unacceptable’ attacks on Labour stance
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/25/labour-urged-to-work-with-tories-to-counter-ignorant-climate-policy-attacks

But Shappsy is getting some big anti- green wins against woke Labour.

They might be disingenuous wins, but a win is a win.
    Kicking a ball into an empty net is easy, unless you're Diana Ross.

Labour needs to find the backbone to defend its policies and to explain them. The Tories might have more trouble then.

Spot on. In 2019, the Tories made Boris Johnson their leader knowing what a disaster he would be because they saw short term advantage in it. Now they are back peddling on Net Zero for exactly the same reasons. Labour needs to grow a pair and call them out in it.

Labour needs to get out there and campaign positively for Net Zero. Starmer seems too timid to campaign on anything at all. People won't rally to his flag without a reason.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    Pulpstar said:

One of the 1.1m was mine and I went 'oh how creepy, I'm certainly not voting for you now'.
    Is Leon still in Ukraine?

If so, then am interpreting his sandwich screed, as yet another sign of hope and optimism!

For UKR, anyway.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

viewcode said:

I don't think May's was. If her manifesto had been Brexit, Brexit, Brexit and a Royal Commission to look at care funding, and if she had put on her brave girl pants and faced the press, she would have got the majority the polls suggested.
    viewcode said:

1300 or so landed last week from small boats. Enough for 2 1/2 more barges.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats-last-7-days

If so, then am interpreting his sandwich screed, as yet another sign of hope and optimism!

For UKR, anyway.

I am still in Lviv. Where the weather has turned stormy and rainy. So I’m thinking of moving on

My choice is Kyiv: fascinating, the capital, quite dramatic, but also iffy weather

Or Odesa: lovely weather, fascinating, but I could die in a missile strike (so REALLY dramatic)

Or go home

For UKR, anyway.

I believe that information is only available on a need to know basis.

The missiles and tracer fire was raining down on Odessa once the Saturday morning Kremlin trolls got wind of his whereabouts.

Brace, brace!

Leon said:

MattW said:

This

• ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 497
    edited July 2023

I am fed up of hearing about Rishi's plans.

He and his jumped up bunch of twats have been in power for 13 years

Sunak hasn't even been in Parliament for 13 years. EDIT: Ditto DPM, foreign secretary, home secretary, lord chancellor - all elected 2015.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

I don't think May's was. If her manifesto had been Brexit, Brexit, Brexit and a Royal Commission to look at care funding, and if she had put on her brave girl pants and faced the press, she would have got the majority the polls suggested.
    Except for the two terrorist outrages during the campaign, after Theresa May had axed thousands of police officers, which she then claimed had made no difference.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,594
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

MattW said:

It's not that bad surely? I grew up with this.

• MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Except for the two terrorist outrages during the campaign, after Theresa May had axed thousands of police officers, which she then claimed had made no difference.
    True, but again a substantive reason why a hitherto solid lead might have vanished. Not evidence it was "illusory."
    Re: allegiance(s) re: the Toxic Yard-Gnome (my personal pet name for J. Corbyn) it is certainly possible for him, or just about anyone, to harbor mixed loyalties within a single (or even double) human breast(s).

For example, Kim Philby apparently believed that what was best for the Soviet Union, was also best for the United Kingdom (in the long run anyway).

Whereas Oswald Mosley apparently believe that what was best for Nazi Germany, was also best for UK (ditto).

Which does NOT mean same thing as loyalty or lack thereof to the British state. NOR would it absolve against accusations - and actuality - of treason. At least legally, if not ethically and morally.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,363
    BBC News - Qin Gang: China removes foreign minister after unexplained absence
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-66299379
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

Also, what the fuck is this:

“It's only there to serve the commuters in the local estate”

Did the Victorians ever think like that? Did the early designers of the Tube? “Oh it’s only for the locals, put up a brick shed that looks like a prison toilet block”

No. They took care. They also wanted to sell their train lines as things to use. The uplifting or cosy or welcoming station said “come in here, let us whisk you away”

Thanet Parkway…. Does not
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

Did the Victorians ever think like that? Did the early designers of the Tube? “Oh it’s only for the locals, put up a brick shed that looks like a prison toilet block”

No. They took care. They also wanted to sell their train lines as things to use. The uplifting or cosy or welcoming station said “come in here, let us whisk you away”

Which was in many ways unfortunate, as it meant the railways, particularly lightly used country railways, became much more expensive and inflexible than they needed to be.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

The architect is obviously a car fanatic in the mould of dear Barty, hates train passengers, and wants them to suffer. Every day the poor commuter is going to have to endure that soul-destroying monstrosity, and it will be made plain to them that they are at the very bottom of the pecking order. They're train-riding losers and don't deserve any better.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

Which was in many ways unfortunate, as it meant the railways, particularly lightly used country railways, became much more expensive and inflexible than they needed to be.
    Are you actually arguing it was unfortunate they built beautiful stations and it would have been better if they’d thrown up toilet blocks? Coz they are easier to demolish? Or what?
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

For UKR, anyway.

I am still in Lviv. Where the weather has turned stormy and rainy. So I’m thinking of moving on

My choice is Kyiv: fascinating, the capital, quite dramatic, but also iffy weather

Or Odesa: lovely weather, fascinating, but I could die in a missile strike (so REALLY dramatic)

Or go home
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernivtsi

"You ain't been anywhere, until you've been to Bukovina!"

Note that you could (in theory) cross from Ukrainian (North) Bukovina, into Romanian (South) Bukovina to check out world-heritage monasteries.

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

When I am working away I travel hundreds of miles by train at inconvenient hours with unpleasant people each week. You fly from point to point on expenses. When you go cattle-truck class it's an adventure. When I go cattle-truck class it's Sunday. Things like being clean, dry, warm, arriving on time, having a friendly guard, possibly a place to sit down and have a cup of tea and not be stabbed/panhandled/shit myself are priorities for me. Things like chocolates on pillows and the nearest whorehouse are priorities for you.

Yes, we are mutually incomprehensible. Why is this a surprise?

Leon said:

MattW said:

That’s depressing. The only excuse is that it was built in the 60s and 70s

We all know it is shit, now

We are meant to have learned from that ghastly era of architecture. Yet apparently we have not
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

Are you actually arguing it was unfortunate they built beautiful stations and it would have been better if they’d thrown up toilet blocks? Coz they are easier to demolish? Or what?
    I am saying that if they had made railways cheaper to run by - for example - building wooden halts at regular intervals rather than Gothic fantasies at distances the economics of rural branch lines might have been rather more helpful and perhaps not quite so many of them would have been shut.

Leon said:

MattW said:

I knew that without googling... :(
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

I am saying that if they had made railways cheaper to run by - for example - building wooden halts at regular intervals rather than Gothic fantasies at distances the economics of rural branch lines might have been rather more helpful and perhaps not quite so many of them would have been shut.
    So yeah, you’re saying they should have built temporary shit holes

PB at its most bizarre
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

So yeah, you’re saying they should have built temporary shit holes

PB at its most bizarre
    Bit early to be drunk, isn't it?

If you think you know more about the economics of railways than David St John Thomas, whose argument I was paraphrasing, feel free to point out the flaws in his logic.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

This

Right. Playing devil's advocate.

I have no knowledge about this station, aside from the pictures and links on this thread. But there are various restrictions that need to be heeded, and which affect the design considerably.

*) The railway line is elevated, and this always makes stations more prominent.

*) This also affects the access, which requires both steps or ramp, and lift. That's the entirety of the brick structure you can see. There is a big issue with the requirement for disabled access leading to some rather bulky structures when compared to 'traditional' footbridges.

*) Because it is elevated, you will need fencing that will stop people falling off, stop people throwing things off, cut the worst of the wind, and to act as noise abatement for the nearby housing.

*) All this has to be done for a cost; preferably as cheaply as possible.

If the line was at ground level, this would all be a lot less obtrusive. But it is not, so the station looms a little.

Compare to (say) the much smaller single-platform Soham station that opened recently. Hopefully not to suffer the fate of the original station in the war...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki-ekuocfAM

As a matter of interest, what did you expect?
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

This

Yikes.

Architects (or an influential chunk of them) are the most egotistical wankers around, or at least the wankers who have the greatest ability to inflict aesthetic misery on millions.

At some point this weirdo coterie decided that true beauty was sparse ugliness, ideally covered in rust. The concrete ego-monuments you see on Grand Designs - you know, the kind of house that wouldn't last ten minutes with kids in - are testament to the decadence of that profession.

There's a reason why normal people actually aspire to nice Victorian terraces, Edwardian semis or cosy cottages. They are _homes_ above all else. Not Nordic-hued shrines to absence. Poundbury isn't ideal, but (a) pastiche and homage have been part of art and design since forever, and (b) PEOPLE LIKE IT.
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

1300 or so landed last week from small boats. Enough for 2 1/2 more barges.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats-last-7-days
    1300 a week is about 67,000 per year. They are talking about letting in a million per year. 67,000 is around 7% of the whole.
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

When I am working away I travel hundreds of miles by train at inconvenient hours with unpleasant people each week. You fly from point to point on expenses. When you go cattle-truck class it's an adventure. When I go cattle-truck class it's Sunday. Things like being clean, dry, warm, arriving on time, having a friendly guard, possibly a place to sit down and have a cup of tea and not be stabbed/panhandled/shit myself are priorities for me. Things like chocolates on pillows and the nearest whorehouse are priorities for you.

But you won’t be clean dry and warm at that station, as Thanet Parkway has no waiting room, and no place to shelter from the weather, and nowhere to get a cup of tea

So even by your bizarre, lowbrow, masochistic and dreary standards, it fails as architecture
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    FPT: Those interested in the practicality of interstellar travel might want to look at the Prologue in "Summertide", the first book in Charles Sheffield's "Heritage Universe" series. (Sheffield knew a little bit about science: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sheffield )

Briefly, Sheffield described an earth that was sending out colony ships, with the colonists in cold sleep. There is nothing in his description of the ships that sounds impossible to this amateur. And earth scientists had concluded that we are unlikely to contact intelligent aliens when a ship finds an enormous structure built by very advanced aliens millions of years before.

(Spoilers: At the end of the Prologue, word has come in from a small interstellar colony that faster-than-light may be possible. The Heritage Universe stories that follow that Prologue describe searches for those aliens, called "Builders", but with the protagonists traveling almost instantaneously between "Bose-Einstein" points.

I found the books interesting reads, but am disappointed that he never resolved the problem he posed in that Prologue. Perhaps he might have, had he lived longer.)
    Russia further destroying its economy:

"The Russian State Duma adopted a bill that provides for raising the draft age to 30 years old (currently 27). Young people from 18 to 30 years old can thus be called up for military service. The law will come into force on January 1, 2024."

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1683840696292364294
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

We are meant to have learned from that ghastly era of architecture. Yet apparently we have not
    Is it better or worse than this?

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

But you won’t be clean dry and warm at that station, as Thanet Parkway has no waiting room

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

This

Right. Playing devil's advocate.

I have no knowledge about this station, aside from the pictures and links on this thread. But there are various restrictions that need to be heeded, and which affect the design considerably.

*) The railway line is elevated, and this always makes stations more prominent.

*) This also affects the access, which requires both steps or ramp, and lift. That's the entirety of the brick structure you can see. There is a big issue with the requirement for disabled access leading to some rather bulky structures when compared to 'traditional' footbridges.

*) Because it is elevated, you will need fencing that will stop people falling off, stop people throwing things off, cut the worst of the wind, and to act as noise abatement for the nearby housing.

*) All this has to be done for a cost; preferably as cheaply as possible.

If the line was at ground level, this would all be a lot less obtrusive. But it is not, so the station looms a little.

Compare to (say) the much smaller single-platform Soham station that opened recently. Hopefully not to suffer the fate of the original station in the war...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki-ekuocfAM

As a matter of interest, what did you expect?
    I dunno. Something with just a hint of humanity

Also, maybe a canopy so you can shelter from the rain

They can’t even do that

I love the one single bench
    AP (via Seattle Times) - DeSantis is in a car accident on his way to Tennessee presidential campaign events but isn’t injured

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis was in a multi-car accident on Tuesday as he traveled in a motorcade to campaign events in Tennessee for his 2024 presidential bid but was uninjured.

Traffic slowed down and caused four cars in the motorcade to hit each other, Chattanooga, Tennessee, police told WTVC-TV. One staff member suffered a minor injury, police said.

The Republican White House hopeful and his team “are uninjured,” campaign press secretary Bryan Griffin told The Associated Press. . . .

DeSantis was scheduled to hold events throughout central and eastern Tennessee, where he has been focusing a lot of attention in his recent campaigning. Earlier this month, he addressed more than 1,800 attendees at a state GOP dinner in Nashville.

The Florida governor, who has trailed front-runner Donald Trump in the GOP presidential contest, was expected to be at fundraiser at a private home in Chattanooga on Tuesday. Hosts for the fundraiser were to pay $10,000 per couple for the event, while co-hosts were paying $5,000 and other attendees were paying $2,000 each, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press. . . .

SSI - in addition, interesting article in this morning's NYT re: impending "relaunch" of RDS campaign for POTUS, in wake of his dismal performance so far. Plenty of leaking re: his lackluster (to put it mildly) small-donor fundraising combined with out-of-control campaign spending. And strategic disconnect between RDS campaign and pro-RDS super-PAC.
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

But you won’t be clean dry and warm at that station, as Thanet Parkway has no waiting room, and no place to shelter from the weather, and nowhere to get a cup of tea

So even by your bizarre, lowbrow, masochistic and dreary standards, it fails as architecture
    "no place to shelter from the weather,"

That's not what the Network Rail site indicates.
    https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/kent/thanet-parkway-station/
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

This

Yikes.

Architects (or an influential chunk of them) are the most egotistical wankers around, or at least the wankers who have the greatest ability to inflict aesthetic misery on millions.

At some point this weirdo coterie decided that true beauty was sparse ugliness, ideally covered in rust. The concrete ego-monuments you see on Grand Designs - you know, the kind of house that wouldn't last ten minutes with kids in - are testament to the decadence of that profession.

There's a reason why normal people actually aspire to nice Victorian terraces, Edwardian semis or cosy cottages. They are _homes_ above all else. Not Nordic-hued shrines to absence. Poundbury isn't ideal, but (a) pastiche and homage have been part of art and design since forever, and (b) PEOPLE LIKE IT.
    Those sorts of buildings done well are beautiful, as are old ones. There is good and bad architecture in every era. The issue with the Thanet railway station is that it's bad architecture on any terms, and for any era. I very much doubt Kevin McCloud would like it.

I doubt that architects had much say in this building. They will have been given a brief, and a budget, and then come up with something which got progressively modified for planning or budget reasons.

Even the same shape would have been a bit more acceptable if it were basic concrete like my local DLR station, or faced with something locally appropriate like flint.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    Leon said:

MattW said:

People should build their own houses like they do in continental Europe, where self-build is 60-80% of new construction (almost all new houses - it doesn't really work for blocks of flats).

If they really want to live in a brutalist concrete shithole, fine. If they want an all-columns-and-porticos neoclassical eyesore, fine. But I imagine you'd get most choosing traditional 14th-19th century styles.
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Bern really is a beautiful city.
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Always loved the Italian acronym in the trilingual Swiss rail logo.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

Bern really is a beautiful city.

parts of it...
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

But you won’t be clean dry and warm at that station, as Thanet Parkway has no waiting room

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/kent/thanet-parkway-station/
    It doesn’t have any covered waiting area. I checked the station website

Leon said:

For UKR, anyway.

Or go home
    The frontline is exerting a pull, I would imagine?
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

This

It probably blends in with the surrounding architecture very well. If that is the case it will be entirely authentic and of its place. And who needs a shelter when there's a covered staircase? Of course, given the excellence of this country's rail services you can plan to arrive just in time and not have to worry too much about having to shelter from anything because you'll know your train will get there just when it should.

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

Looks amazingly similar to the (in my view equally crap) light-rail/bus stations that Sound Transit has built and is still building in greater Seattle area.

One goal, beyond facilitating transit operations, is clearly aimed at discouraging riders, or esp. NON-riders, from lingering, loitering and {fill in the blank}.
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

People should build their own houses like they do in continental Europe, where self-build is 60-80% of new construction (almost all new houses - it doesn't really work for blocks of flats).

If they really want to live in a brutalist concrete shithole, fine. If they want an all-columns-and-porticos neoclassical eyesore, fine. But I imagine you'd get most choosing traditional 14th-19th century styles.
    I agree. Self build would open up the market a lot. That's not so say there shouldn't be planning guard rails though. There are some pretty awful houses out there on the continent where builders have taken an old vernacular style and then expanded it, usually asymmetrically, to fill as much of the plot as possible. Then painted it pastel pink and plonked in some neoclassical pillars at the front for good measure.

There is a lot of self-build around here though, and most of it is modernist. To be fair it's usually filling very small plots but within a stone's throw of me we have: a rust house, a mirrored glass cube, various corrugated quasi-industrial live-work units and of course plenty of side return extensions. These are all much more pleasant to live in than the poky 1980s and 1990s houses that developers threw up (in both senses of the word) as infill with tiny rooms and windows too small for the walls.
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

I reserve my highbrowness for the papers I write. Travel journalism I leave to other, lesser beings and their (shudder) qualitative items.
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

It doesn’t have any covered waiting area. I checked the station website

NO ACCESSIBLE TOILETS!!!

Fuck it. Bomb it flat.

(Have disabled rellies)
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

For UKR, anyway.

Or go home
    Snake island has a kind of allure, a bit like a militarised Lundy. Not sure how easy it is to get to though.

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

This

It probably blends in with the surrounding architecture very well. If that is the case it will be entirely authentic and of its place. And who needs a shelter when there's a covered staircase? Of course, given the excellence of this country's rail services you can plan to arrive just in time and not have to worry too much about having to shelter from anything because you'll know your train will get there just when it should.
    On a cold bleak dark wet Wednesday night in February, those covered, hidden staircases, where you might be forced to shelter from the weather - due to lack of actual canopies and nice lit spaces - will be the perfect place to get mugged or raped

Architects and planners hate us, and want us to suffer
    re; Ron DeSantis, hope that anyone who was injured in automobile accident is OK, and wish them speedy recovery.

That said, rather ironic seeing has how RDS campaign IS a car crash, politically speaking.

Worth noting that so was John McCain's campaign in 2007 . . . before he made his major course correction that led to JMcC winning the 2008 GOP nomination.

On the OTHER hand, the car crash that was Rudy Giuliani's campaign that same cycle, led to . . . a truly spectacular pile-up just over a decade later, featuring an actual junk-yard . . . and a pack of truly vicious junk-yard curs . . .
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

I struggle to see how that could be the case. They would surely have been closed and demolished with less fuss than their more invested-in counterparts.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

Labour has come to I think a sensible and moderate compromise on trans rights.

Rosie Duffield has welcomed it. That says to me the Tories will now struggle to turn it into a wedge issue.
    They don't have many other to attempt, however.
    TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

For UKR, anyway.

Or go home
    Snake island has a kind of allure, a bit like a militarised Lundy. Not sure how easy it is to get to though.
    Yes let's have some 'PBer on the spot' reporting from there.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    There's an interesting divide in American between NeverTrumpers who are that way because they think he is a loser, and those who think he could win but that is bad.

I keep hearing Republicans say that Republican voters shouldn’t vote for Trump in the primaries because he’ll likely lose the general election.

NO. The reason Republicans shouldn’t nominate Trump is that he can WIN and go back to the WH

https://nitter.net/RpsAgainstTrump?cursor=1683686976594104320

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

See air photo here

Mind boggling

I struggle to see how that could be the case. They would surely have been closed and demolished with less fuss than their more invested-in counterparts.
    But ugly stations would have added to the sum of human unhappiness, which apparently is what at least 1/3 of PB desires
This discussion has been closed.