Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why the best value Mayoral bets are now on the Tories – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,848

Gove’s policies are to be welcomed, so much as I can see, but they still amount to a top down, frankly soviet approach to planning.

The five year plan has decided to build lab space in Cambridge, great!

My family home is in a conservation area, but is comparatively low rise despite being less than two miles from Bank. Wake me up when I can turn a 2000sqft property on a full size property into 3500sqft set of apartments without the mother of all planning nightmares.

There’s a huge shortage of lab space in and around cambridge
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    edited July 2023

Gove’s policies are to be welcomed, so much as I can see, but they still amount to a top down, frankly soviet approach to planning.

The five year plan has decided to build lab space in Cambridge, great!

My family home is in a conservation area, but is comparatively low rise despite being less than two miles from Bank. Wake me up when I can turn a 2000sqft property on a full size property into 3500sqft set of apartments without the mother of all planning nightmares.

There’s a huge shortage of lab space in and around cambridge
    I know there is.
    My point is that it’s bizarre that Britain has to impose new space top down, because the planning system is no longer able to deliver any real growth.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

Despite all the free PR from the likes of the BBC, seems Leon might have called it right...

People are seemingly turning their back on Meta’s Threads nearly as fast as they flocked to it.

A report in the Wall Street Journal, citing data from Sensor Tower, says the number of daily active users is now down 70% from its peak on July 7, with just 13 million actively engaging with the platform.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mark-zuckerberg-threads-traffic-now-144913170.html

All back to people tweeting on on X about how they are on Mastodon....

Is "tweeting on X" the correct formulation? lol.
    Some wag suggested Xcreting.
    X marks the bot?

Oh ok. I'm trying.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Despite all the free PR from the likes of the BBC, seems Leon might have called it right...

People are seemingly turning their back on Meta’s Threads nearly as fast as they flocked to it.

A report in the Wall Street Journal, citing data from Sensor Tower, says the number of daily active users is now down 70% from its peak on July 7, with just 13 million actively engaging with the platform.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mark-zuckerberg-threads-traffic-now-144913170.html

Well of course. Musk and Zuckerberg are equally poisonous, so why choose one over t'other?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

pm215 said:

Did we do Gove's speech about housing? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66287810

As a definitely-non-Tory-supporter, my take:

* it's good to see that Gove seems to favour basically the right thing (more houses, fast, with infrastructure)
    * it's easy to be sceptical about how much will actually happen and whether the promised public transport network will actually be good (as opposed to "pay stagecoach a wodge of cash to run three extra buses")
    * nimbys already out in force, I see
    * it's hard to see it getting beyond "consultants spend a few million on 'vision' documents" before the govt gets chucked out in 2024 and Labour throws it all out and does something else anyway...

It's meaningless nonsense.

"He added that developments would be done "in dialogue with local communities" and that Westminster should not "ride roughshod" over their views."

Total NIMBYs charter. Their views should not be a factor whatsoever in whether new homes get built. Especially when it comes to converting existing developments.
    We know you would concrete all over the greenbelt whatever residents views but Rishi + Gove are right to focus building on brownbelt areas first
    You think there is such a thing as a "brownbelt" (your word) in places such as Oxford and Cambridge? We're not in Detroit.
    Yes, both cities of over 100,000 people
    Completely missing the point.

Show us on a map where this "brownbelt" is. We'd all love to know so we can rush to buy this land everyone else has missed.
    It is amazing how much of conservative thought is based on fictions: "brown belt", "laffer curve", "we are all in this together". They'll be banging on about phlogiston next.

I am glad that is the one he called right. Definitely preferable to nuclear Armageddon or alien invasion.
    What three words should I use to describe this phenomenon?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    viewcode said:

I am glad that is the one he called right. Definitely preferable to nuclear Armageddon or alien invasion.
    It hardly seems a surprise that everyone should try out the new shiny thing and then traffic falls back. Its usage is still way higher than most apps after 20 days, certainly more than Twitter after their first 20 days. Let’s give it a bit more time before passing judgement.
    edited July 2023

viewcode said:

It hardly seems a surprise that everyone should try out the new shiny thing and then traffic falls back. Its usage is still way higher than most apps after 20 days, certainly more than Twitter after their first 20 days. Let’s give it a bit more time before passing judgement.
    Woosh?

(I was making a reference to Leon's erroneous prediction concerning "WhatThreeYears". I was doing a funny. Nobody got it. I will cancel my booking at the Fringe)
This discussion has been closed.