Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Labour could be the main threat in Mid Beds – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Morning all!

All this dispute over a golf tournament’s name reminds me of the US World Series Baseball. No participation except from the USA.

Yes, but that's nothing to do with it being a series for the world, it was the name of the sponsor.

Edit:
    Fact check says this is false...
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/world-series/

Doh!
    Must admit I struggled with your original comment.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited July 2023

Morning all!

All this dispute over a golf tournament’s name reminds me of the US World Series Baseball. No participation except from the USA.

Yes, but that's nothing to do with it being a series for the world, it was the name of the sponsor.

Edit:

Doh!
    The idea was that it was sponsored by the New York World. I've seen that stated as fact many times, but I couldn't point at exactly where the fact came from.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

Morning all!

Won by a non-USA team in 1992!
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Idiot conspiracy theorist denies antisemitism.

RFK Jr. denies comments on ‘ethnically targeted’ Covid-19 were anti-Semitic
    The longshot presidential candidate suggested that the virus could have been engineered to spare Ashkenazi Jews and Chinese people.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/15/rfk-jr-covid-19-ethnically-targeted-00106478

And no, it couldn’t.

It’s always amusing how much overlap there is between crackpot conspiracy theorists and anti-semites there is

Antisemitism is possibly the oldest conspiracy theory there is ?
    Genesis. The whole apple/serpent/God thing is a lot like lab escape. Much more likely that Death was out there in the wild, and Eve picked it up at a wet market.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good morning, everyone.

Accidentally refusing a peerage does seem an odd way for a political career to sputter out.

F1: some lovely Sunday reading about the best non-Red Bull teams in F1:
    https://medium.com/@rkilner/best-of-the-rest-in-f1-a-quick-review-43c785f98cc0
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    edited July 2023

Tony Blair saying the private sector should not be a dirty word in respect of the NHS

For fun - the NHS is already private. They don’t build hospitals, make beds or syringes or drugs. Or anything else.

They buy everything from the private sector, including hiring a lot of staff for admin work from contracting companies.

And that’s before you get to agency staff.

Using private hospitals etc isn’t a solution. Most of the staff also work in the NHS.

What makes sense, as with private schools, is looking at what they are doing, and why some things work better.

Testing, for example. I’m trying to find the study in the US - essentially , if there was any doubt about diagnosis at the initial stage, test for everything, MRI, the works. This saved money, IIRC, though faster diagnosis of complicated cases and earlier treatment.
    More investment required:

The UK has 6.1 MRI systems per million people, fewer than countries including Estonia and Slovenia. By comparison, the US has 38.1 scanners per million and Germany has 30.5

https://www.rcr.ac.uk/posts/nhs-must-do-more-future-proof-its-mri-capacity-say-imaging-experts#:~:text=The UK has 6.1 MRI,to estimate future MRI workload.
    Because the politicians like investment for the NHS… in lots of low level staff.

Investment in equipment and automation would improve productivity,
    And yet the "efficiency savings" to fund the new pay settlements will come from looting training and capital equipment budgets, as always.

Morning all!

Edit:

Doh!
    The idea was that it was sponsored by the New York World. I've seen that stated as fact many times, but I couldn't point at exactly where the fact came from.
    Thanks; I’d not seen that.
    edited July 2023

Morning all!

The Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series twice in the nineties.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Foxy said:

Tony Blair saying the private sector should not be a dirty word in respect of the NHS

For fun - the NHS is already private. They don’t build hospitals, make beds or syringes or drugs. Or anything else.

They buy everything from the private sector, including hiring a lot of staff for admin work from contracting companies.

Using private hospitals etc isn’t a solution. Most of the staff also work in the NHS.

What makes sense, as with private schools, is looking at what they are doing, and why some things work better.

Testing, for example. I’m trying to find the study in the US - essentially , if there was any doubt about diagnosis at the initial stage, test for everything, MRI, the works. This saved money, IIRC, though faster diagnosis of complicated cases and earlier treatment.

The UK has 6.1 MRI systems per million people, fewer than countries including Estonia and Slovenia. By comparison, the US has 38.1 scanners per million and Germany has 30.5

https://www.rcr.ac.uk/posts/nhs-must-do-more-future-proof-its-mri-capacity-say-imaging-experts#:~:text=The UK has 6.1 MRI,to estimate future MRI workload.
    Because the politicians like investment for the NHS… in lots of low level staff.

And yet the "efficiency savings" to fund the new pay settlements will come from looting training and capital equipment budgets, as always.
    Headlines and votes….
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Foxy said:

What was it you wanted the state to cut to fund them instead?
    Dura_Ace said:

Morning all!

Won by a non-USA team in 1992!
    The Toronto Blue Jays. Won it the next year too.
    Baseball is a superior game, both to play and watch, than cricket but it would just look wrong in the UK. LIke wearing fringed chaps in M&S.
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

The triple lock on pensions and benefits. Should be the same as public sector pay.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084

Good morning, everyone.

Accidentally refusing a peerage does seem an odd way for a political career to sputter out.

That is what comes of accidentally believing Boris Johnson cares about you.
    edited July 2023
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

The triple lock on pensions and benefits. Should be the same as public sector pay.
    Removing the triple lock now would not provide extra money as pensioners and those on benefit already got the raise this year. Care to try again?

Oh here is one as you identified the sector....lets make all public sector pensions direct contribution going forward with the state putting in a contribution based on the average contribution private sector firms. That would be an immediate boost to the state purse when they stop contributing 20% of wages to the db schemes every month
    Dura_Ace said:

Baseball is a superior game, both to play and watch, than cricket but it would just look wrong in the UK. LIke wearing fringed chaps in M&S.

I really enjoyed baseball when I was a teenager in the States. Quite a subtle game, and one played for fun like basketball. No one plays gridiron for fun.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    edited July 2023
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/964b4186-2343-11ee-8315-87f1387eebf8?shareToken=9f1c924ece382be3d479647169dc60e7

Tory MP Andrew Rosindell is under police investigation for sexual offences and misconduct in public office.

He has not set foot in parliament since being arrested (over a year ago)

He has been reselected as candidate for next GE.

His constituents do not know.
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Raising the state pension to the level of public sector pay would be unaffordable. It's £10,000 a year. A doctor's pension will be what? Seven or eight times that?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. JohnL, well, believing Boris Johnson cares about one and accidentally refusing a peerage do seem to be a similar level of... clumsiness, shall we say?
    Dura_Ace said:

Never attended, or even watched a game as an adult although played a couple of games in my youth. There’ve been a couple of efforts to set up some sort of British league, but AFAIK nothing’s worked.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

We might know it as the Open but it is the British Open

British Open 2023 | Tickets 2023 | Royal Liverpool Golf Club

Yeah. I mean. It's not even in Liverpool.
    That's pretty common with golf clubs. Reason being, golf takes up a lot of land, which urban areas don't typically have. A lot of people from tiwn x met long ago and decided the men of town x ought to have somewhere to play golf; it didn't follow that that somewhere had to be in town x itself.
    Taz said:

So much for a consultation.

Rail staff have been told to prepare for 2,000 job cuts from the closure of ticket offices — even though their fate has not been officially decided yet.

The Sunday Times has seen confidential documents setting out proposals by the train operators to cut staffing at stations by October, as part of a plan by the Rail Delivery Group to close hundreds of ticket offices.

Huw Merriman, the rail minister, has justified the closures on the ground that only one in ten tickets are bought in offices, down from a third a decade ago.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2000-job-cuts-train-ticket-offices-uk-consultation-closures-tltbg0qz6

Presumably there’ll be a legal challenge then.
    Oh there will be a lot of legal challenges - but it's the lies that are so annoying..

Also it's stupid because although it may be 10% of tickets its something like 25% of all revenue - most tickets bought are for immediate travel so way more expensive than tickets bought earlier).
    edited July 2023

Dura_Ace said:

Never attended, or even watched a game as an adult although played a couple of games in my youth. There’ve been a couple of efforts to set up some sort of British league, but AFAIK nothing’s worked.
    It's rounders, a game we are all familiar with from primary school. And that is why no-one over here will take it seriously. Next thing you know, they'll be putting skateboards in the Olympics.

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Raising the state pension to the level of public sector pay would be unaffordable. It's £10,000 a year. A doctor's pension will be what? Seven or eight times that?
    About a third of pensioners have no other income than the state pension. The vast majority of workers will get no more than 3 or 4k a year from private sector pensions. Foxy will have a comfortable retirement while they struggle. Yet he wants to cut what they get so he can get a payrise on an already damn good salary.

Having said that I do think the triple lock is a damn stupid thing and needs to be revisited but even so I find taking from the poorest to benefit some of the richest workers somewhat distasteful
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Foxy said:

Well the private sector has been such a success at running Social Care, public utilities, railways, even military flight school, so why not the NHS too as a source of dividends for private equity then collapse of a hollowed out service?

I didn't watch him this morning. Back in 1997 the private sector role was hired in capacity to clear the massive waiting lists. As wait times for treatments are once again grotesque, does he propose the same plan for 2024?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Heathener said:

It's actually quite sad to see older folk in reactionary mode: raging against the dying of the light.

You don't have to live this way. It is possible to move with the times and be happy.

Enlarge your horizons. Embrace change.

Have a nice day ;) xx

You realise that it is young people driving the rise in support for what you would call reactionary politics on the continent?
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

YouGov have just sent me a survey and guess what one of the questions is about?

If it is good enough for YouGov and Tiger Woods then it is good enough for me.

Except they have to specify when and where it is. So obviously not good enough to call it the Open tout court. Needs to be distinguished from the Open at Berwick upon Tweed Magdalene Fields Golf Club, no?
    I started playing golf at Magdalene Fields Golf Club when I was 11
    Well, quite. So we must be quite clear about which Open this is.

"Open" could be the one down the road on Saturday week.
    From the nation that gets its knickers in a twist over the spelling of whisk(e)y.
    Whisky is Scottish

Whiskey is Irish
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Good morning.

Thank you for an excellent article @Quincel (Pip Moss). I love it when someone bets with their head, even if this means placing apparently contradictory bets and / or betting against their own wishes. Some of my most profitable events have resulted when I remember to behave that way.

One minor quibble is that nationally Labour are averaging 46.3% over the last 10 polls which is a fair way off your 'almost 50%'.

I think (like @Foxy below) that Labour will win Mid Beds. Why? Because Labour are now the party of middle Britain. In areas where the LibDems aren't strong second, Labour are the comfortable choice for people who want solid, decent, Government. This has been Starmer's triumph. Yes, he (they) come across as dull, but chatting to people in old blue areas, that's exactly what they seem to want.

I'm less sure about Selby & Ainsty and I can see why @Quincel you have cashed in. I think it would be a remarkable win by Labour but I'd put their chances there at little better than evens. Is that expectation management? Perhaps.

One thing that we have to factor in here is neither the Labour nor LibDem vote: it's the Conservative one. I know that may seem obvious but their national poll share remains abysmal. In those same last 10 polls, the Conservative share averages just 26.2%. The real story at these by-elections may be more about their atrocious showing, following which we may well hear the, 'our vote stayed at home' meme.

Labour are on pretty much maximum vote.
    Evidence?
    Where are they going to get more votes from?

LibDems aren’t going to collapse
    Conservative core vote is 28% or so
    The Greens are Spare Labour for the Starmer Is A Tory clowns
    I'm not sure about core vote. There's potentially a considerable difference between the 'would never consider voting Labour' core vote, and the smaller 'would always turn out to vote Conservative' core vote. Somewhere in that difference the true Tory floor is found and in that difference the greatest Tory danger lies.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    eek said:

Taz said:

Rail staff have been told to prepare for 2,000 job cuts from the closure of ticket offices — even though their fate has not been officially decided yet.

The Sunday Times has seen confidential documents setting out proposals by the train operators to cut staffing at stations by October, as part of a plan by the Rail Delivery Group to close hundreds of ticket offices.

Huw Merriman, the rail minister, has justified the closures on the ground that only one in ten tickets are bought in offices, down from a third a decade ago.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2000-job-cuts-train-ticket-offices-uk-consultation-closures-tltbg0qz6

Oh there will be a lot of legal challenges - but it's the lies that are so annoying..

Also it's stupid because although it may be 10% of tickets its something like 25% of all revenue - most tickets bought are for immediate travel so way more expensive than tickets bought earlier).
    Yes, and even 10% is an awful lot of tickets. I'd have thought that closing ticket offices shouldn't be considered until that proportion is down to 1/2%.

I suspect that this is one of those decisions that will piss people off more than the Tories think, because as well as those who do use ticket offices, a lot of people who don't use them will think they should remain open. I don't use them - but very occasionally I have to when there's a problem with the machines or some other hitch.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Small bet on Alcaraz. I think the final is evenly matched
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    eek said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/964b4186-2343-11ee-8315-87f1387eebf8?shareToken=9f1c924ece382be3d479647169dc60e7

Tory MP Andrew Rosindell is under police investigation for sexual offences and misconduct in public office.

He has not set foot in parliament since being arrested (over a year ago)

He has been reselected as candidate for next GE.

His constituents do not know.

It has started to be noted, for example in the letters page of the Romford Recorder. (Though that only involves the minority who read or contribute to the letters page of the Romford Recorder.)

Though it hasn't needed Sherlock Holmes to put the clues together for a long time.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

The result might depend on how the party headquarters (informally, of course) carve up by-elections between themselves. Even assuming Nad ever stands down. Give her the peerage!

Give her the boot

Dura_Ace said:

It's rounders, a game we are all familiar with from primary school. And that is why no-one over here will take it seriously. Next thing you know, they'll be putting skateboards in the Olympics.
    To be fair, in America "soccer" used to have the same problem: it was perceived as a game played by young girls. It was the growing immigrant communities that made the beautiful game viable there.
    malcolmg said:

The result might depend on how the party headquarters (informally, of course) carve up by-elections between themselves. Even assuming Nad ever stands down. Give her the peerage!

Give her the boot
    If they re-elect her after this prime display of idiocy then they are bigger fools than she is

eek said:

Taz said:

Yes, and even 10% is an awful lot of tickets. I'd have thought that closing ticket offices shouldn't be considered until that proportion is down to 1/2%.

I suspect that this is one of those decisions that will piss people off more than the Tories think, because as well as those who do use ticket offices, a lot of people who don't use them will think they should remain open. I don't use them - but very occasionally I have to when there's a problem with the machines or some other hitch.
    If I'm buying a ticket for immediate use - I use the ticket office.

Because if I'm in TPEs window which is over 15 minutes from departure the ticket office will still sell you a reduced price ticket for the next train which a machine can't do...

edited July 2023

eek said:

Taz said:

Perhaps Conservative voters only travel on journeys booked by their secretary / butler / dogsbody? Maybe the 'calculation' is that the people using ticket offices are the sweaty types who vote for Marxism so no votes lost?

They badly need to fund a pre-election giveaway. It's traditional.
    Dura_Ace said:

Totally agree

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Except they have to specify when and where it is. So obviously not good enough to call it the Open tout court. Needs to be distinguished from the Open at Berwick upon Tweed Magdalene Fields Golf Club, no?

From the nation that gets its knickers in a twist over the spelling of whisk(e)y.
    Whisky is Scottish

Whiskey is Irish
    Hard for some people to take that in

eek said:

Taz said:

It is likely the occasional rail users who prefer speaking to humans in ticket offices. The regulars will have long since figured out which buttons to press, what platform they need and where to change trains.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

eek said:

Taz said:

Perhaps Conservative voters only travel on journeys booked by their secretary / butler / dogsbody? Maybe the 'calculation' is that the people using ticket offices are the sweaty types who vote for Marxism so no votes lost?

You missed our discussion on Friday after the notion of abolishing inheritance tax was floated then? It only collects a mere £7b, so what is the point?

Rishi is the free money at no cost Chancellor and PM. No other politician has balanced tax cuts and free money with no downside like Rishi.
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

About a third of pensioners have no other income than the state pension. The vast majority of workers will get no more than 3 or 4k a year from private sector pensions. Foxy will have a comfortable retirement while they struggle. Yet he wants to cut what they get so he can get a payrise on an already damn good salary.

Having said that I do think the triple lock is a damn stupid thing and needs to be revisited but even so I find taking from the poorest to benefit some of the richest workers somewhat distasteful
    It was ever thus for Tories, they always rob the poor to feed the rich. Doctors nowadays are just money grubbing Tories , Hippocratic oath my arse.
  • theakestheakes Posts: 915
    The Lib Dems are still working Mid Beds, Labour have relaxed somewhat. The key in that Opinium polling was the Independent vote. That is and will probably be squeezed by the Lib Dems and the Tories. The Lib Dems will win the by election, if it happens with about 40 - 45% of the vote, squeezing the Labour vote in the last 3 weeks of the campaign. However I do not see the by election taking place, Nadine will need a place in Parliament and a credit either MP or Lady/Baroness for as long as possible.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Starmer's government in waiting is somewhat Animal Farm, isn't it?
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    FPT: My apologies as I was out last night and too engrossed in other stuff to look at my phone, so would just like to thank @Andy_JS for replying to my question. I didn't mean to ignore you and your reply was appreciated and I am going to follow up and look at some of the archived PB stuff. And to @viewcode on all the history stuff on PB. Both really appreciated.
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I really enjoyed baseball when I was a teenager in the States. Quite a subtle game, and one played for fun like basketball. No one plays gridiron for fun.
    We moved to DC when I was 12 and I played two seasons in the outfield for my school team. We weren't very good but it's a fun game and I quite enjoy the Moneyball style deep statistical analysis it provokes.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    Dura_Ace said:

I watched a game when we lived in the US and it was boring AF. And they try to make you stand up for their horrible national anthem at the start. That's several hours of my life I'll never get back.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    theakes said:

The Lib Dems are still working Mid Beds, Labour have relaxed somewhat. The key in that Opinium polling was the Independent vote. That is and will probably be squeezed by the Lib Dems and the Tories. The Lib Dems will win the by election, if it happens with about 40 - 45% of the vote, squeezing the Labour vote in the last 3 weeks of the campaign. However I do not see the by election taking place, Nadine will need a place in Parliament and a credit either MP or Lady/Baroness for as long as possible.

Not sure about slackening off - do you live there? I've no personasl experience but this sounds pretty active:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/15/labour-byelection-activists-respect-tory-voters-conservative-constituencies

Credit to OGH for publishing the header, reinforcing the point that this is a betting and prediction site rather than tied to any one party.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited July 2023

Dura_Ace said:

I watched a game when we lived in the US and it was boring AF. And they try to make you stand up for their horrible national anthem at the start. That's several hours of my life I'll never get back.
    I became an accidental follower of baseball in 2010 when my beloved Liverpool FC were bought by the people who own the Boston Red Sox.

Baseball is bloody rounders, a game played by children under the age of 11 in the UK.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Dura_Ace said:

I went to one in Colorado a few years ago. Dull as dishwater.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited July 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

I've tried watching it and it's useless compared to cricket IMO. But then I am probably the world's biggest cricket fan so I'm a bit biased. 😊
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Re train tickets:

Part of the problem, surely, is that it is not the train operator who man's (and pays for) the ticket office. Network Rail will earn just a 10% commission on a ticket sale, while the operator takes the other 90%.
    Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

I've tried watching it and it's useless compared to cricket IMO. But then I am probably the world's biggest cricket fan so I'm a bit biased. 😊
    You mean the way that there is exactly one stroke from the batter: an enormous swing that they hope connects.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    eek said:

Taz said:

And season tickets for short distance repetitive travel to known locations on known trains distorts the stats too.

eek said:

Taz said:

It is likely the occasional rail users who prefer speaking to humans in ticket offices. The regulars will have long since figured out which buttons to press, what platform they need and where to change trains.
    And are often the ones with season tickets anyway, so don't need the machines.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962

eek said:

Taz said:

UK train ticketing is horrendously complicated. Most apps don't support split ticketing and none will offer options other than the one you ask for. Mostly fine for trains going up and down one line; not so fine for connecting services, hence the stubborn 10% I'm thinking.

eek said:

Taz said:

Another point of interest is that one wants to encourage such folk - they'll be long distance and off-peak much more than the ones with season tickets.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    malcolmg said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

It was ever thus for Tories, they always rob the poor to feed the rich. Doctors nowadays are just money grubbing Tories , Hippocratic oath my arse.
    The consultants are just taking the piss.

One of their main issues, the lifetime cap in pension contributions, the govt rolled over on. As they did with the amount you an put in per year.

Dura_Ace said:

Just had a look on Wikipedia and there is fact quite a considerable structure. Apparently quite a few universities are taking it up.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357

Heathener said:

It's actually quite sad to see older folk in reactionary mode: raging against the dying of the light.

You don't have to live this way. It is possible to move with the times and be happy.

Have a nice day ;) xx

You realise that it is young people driving the rise in support for what you would call reactionary politics on the continent?
    Some people can't see beyond the UK when it comes to politics. They think because older people are the most reactionary over here it must be true everywhere else.
    rcs1000 said:

Re train tickets:

Part of the problem, surely, is that it is not the train operator who man's (and pays for) the ticket office. Network Rail will earn just a 10% commission on a ticket sale, while the operator takes the other 90%.

Um all stations are managed by the appropriate operator of the station (so up here it's Northern, WCML Avenda, ECML LNER....)

The only exception are a few mainline stations (mainly London) who Network Rail run as the land is worth a lot. However even there the ticket office will again be staffed by train operator staff.

Network Rail only really manage tracks...
    Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

I went to one in Colorado a few years ago. Dull as dishwater.
    Great for having beer and hotdogs etc. Tailgate BBQ's etc , Americans are much more family oriented in their sports than UK.
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Re train tickets:

Um all stations are managed by the appropriate operator of the station (so up here it's Northern, WCML Avenda, ECML LNER....)

The only exception are a few mainline stations (mainly London) who Network Rail run as the land is worth a lot. However even there the ticket office will again be staffed by train operator staff.

Network Rail only really manage tracks...
    Well, that shows me.
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

You mean the way that there is exactly one stroke from the batter: an enormous swing that they hope connects.
    The bunt is always an option. Ichiro Suzuki (Yankees) once bunted to bat two runs in on the same play.
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

The consultants are just taking the piss.

One of their main issues, the lifetime cap in pension contributions, the govt rolled over on. As they did with the amount you an put in per year.

Exactly and the constant lying by junior doctors that they only get 14 pounds an hour is pathetic. One thing you will never ever see is a poor doctor , a tough job but not happy being among the very highest paid in the country with the most gold plated pensions in the country. Greed and entitlement personified.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

The longshot presidential candidate suggested that the virus could have been engineered to spare Ashkenazi Jews and Chinese people.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/15/rfk-jr-covid-19-ethnically-targeted-00106478

And no, it couldn’t.

Well, he has kind of got a point provided you accept prior conspiracy theories. If China had been engineering Covid for biological warfare, it would make sense to seek a variant that did not affect their own people. Not sure where the Jews come in, mind.
    No, he doesn't. Even if you believe China deliberately engineered the virus, which is highly improbable, such targeting is simply not possible.
    Which is why he's an idiot too.
    Nature manages it. There are diseases (not necessarily virus-borne) that affect some ethnic groups more than others. The poster child would be sickle cell anaemia. And possible or not, that does not preclude Biowarfare Research Group Number 17 aiming for ethnic specificity.
    Please explain how you engineer a pandemic virus not to mutate ?
    There are variations in disease susceptibility across populations - but they are variations, not absolutes. Viruses can jump species; dealing with the minor variation across humans is nothing in comparison,

And that's assuming that we have any idea how to target particular populations, which we don't. Any such effort, starting now, with the vastly improved gene sequencing we have compared to pre pandemic, would be an enormous decades long project, not something that could happen in a secret lab.
    And very likely pointless.

Kennedy is an unpleasant nut, flirting with antisemitism.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    kjh said:

FPT: My apologies as I was out last night and too engrossed in other stuff to look at my phone, so would just like to thank @Andy_JS for replying to my question. I didn't mean to ignore you and your reply was appreciated and I am going to follow up and look at some of the archived PB stuff. And to @viewcode on all the history stuff on PB. Both really appreciated.

I might withdraw my thanks to @Andy_JS (only joking) as I have just been looking at the old PB threads and I can see I am going to waste so much time looking at these. So many memories came flooding back. The only current poster I could remember posting in 2005 was @Leon, but how wrong was I. I have already spotted @NickPalmer. @Roger, @JohnO and of course @Sean_F, not only posting but doing his weekly local election round up thread, which I now remember so well and used to enjoy. I'm sure there are lots more as this was just a quick look. And so many posters that I used to enjoy who have disappeared (or possibly post under a different name) and of course there are those that have sadly died.

Thank you for providing that.
    Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

On the other hand I would not watch cricket even if you attached electrodes to my knackers but I would watch baseball.
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Whisky is Scottish

Whiskey is Irish
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Whisky is Scottish

Whiskey is Irish
    I can happily ‘take in’ either!

eek said:

Taz said:

You missed our discussion on Friday ...
    Perhaps it was a cricket day? It is hardly worth bothering with this place on cricket days...
    Dura_Ace said:

It's not.
    The single way in which it is superior is in putting the batter closer to a small fraction of the crowd than is possible in cricket.
    But even then his back is to them.
    Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

The bunt is always an option. Ichiro Suzuki (Yankees) once bunted to bat two runs in on the same play.
    "In the 2021 MLB season, for example, bunting occurred in approximately 0.8% of all plate appearances."

That's roughly one in every 270 pitches.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

And no, it couldn’t.

Well, he has kind of got a point provided you accept prior conspiracy theories. If China had been engineering Covid for biological warfare, it would make sense to seek a variant that did not affect their own people. Not sure where the Jews come in, mind.
    No, he doesn't. Even if you believe China deliberately engineered the virus, which is highly improbable, such targeting is simply not possible.
    Nature manages it. There are diseases (not necessarily virus-borne) that affect some ethnic groups more than others. The poster child would be sickle cell anaemia. And possible or not, that does not preclude Biowarfare Research Group Number 17 aiming for ethnic specificity.
    There are variations in disease susceptibility across populations - but they are variations, not absolutes. Viruses can jump species; dealing with the minor variation across humans is nothing in comparison,

And that's assuming that we have any idea how to target particular populations, which we don't. Any such effort, starting now, with the vastly improved gene sequencing we have compared to pre pandemic, would be an enormous decades long project, not something that could happen in a secret lab.

Shit, if that's flirting I would hate to see him sexually assaulting it.
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Whisky is Scottish

Whiskey is Irish
    They could try watering it down then, rather than drinking it neat ?
    malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

On the other hand I would not watch cricket even if you attached electrodes to my knackers but I would watch baseball.
    Really? There's almost nothing I wouldn't do if the alternative was fried testicles.
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Have a nice day ;) xx

Some people can't see beyond the UK when it comes to politics. They think because older people are the most reactionary over here it must be true everywhere else.
    I remember watching, quite a long time ago, Lord Tebbit talking about the then current Russian elections. The interviewer said something about older people being conservative and voting for times past, which in Russia meant voting for the left.
    Tebbit missed the point and said that he thought the party people had voted for was conservative.
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Really? There's almost nothing I wouldn't do if the alternative was fried testicles.
    Very popular, fried testicles, amongst the connoisseurs of rognons blanc.
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Prairie oysters?

Dura_Ace said:

To be fair to the game, it has spawned far superior movies and TV series.
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

"In the 2021 MLB season, for example, bunting occurred in approximately 0.8% of all plate appearances."

That's roughly one in every 270 pitches.
    Which gives it a surprise value, I guess.
  • Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 424
    I assume that Sunak is already rehearsing his answer to the question how much his family will save from the abolition of IHT.
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

And no, it couldn’t.

In 1998 the Sunday Times published the following article, giving their sources as Israeli military and western intelligence sources and people from the BMA and Porton Down:

https://homepages.uc.edu/~chengy/times.html

More on the BMA report:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1114775/

AFAIAA that report is not available for free online. It's at Amazon for £4.99.

If only you'd been around then, eh, NigelB? You could have screamed at everyone that such targeting isn't possible and that everyone who said it was (e.g. people at the BMA, Porton Down, in the Israeli military, and in western intelligence services) were anti-Semites or idiots. Or maybe they weren't saying what they really thought, and were in a conspiracy to delude everyone else. No flies on you, eh, Nige?

I assume that Sunak is already rehearsing his answer to the question how much his family will save from the abolition of IHT.

Yes. The LOL is that the actual answer is Not one penny, because we are far too smart and well-advised to have any liability for it in the first place. But not easy for a PM to say that.
  • Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 424
    Miklosvar said:

Yes. The LOL is that the actual answer is Not one penny, because we are far too smart and well-advised to have any liability for it in the first place. But not easy for a PM to say that.
    Well, exactly…
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

And no, it couldn’t.

Absolutely no idea and you seem to have missed the point so let's just agree RFK is a bad actor.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

Heathener said:

Have a nice day ;) xx

That does seem to be true in a number of places. I think we can too easily assume our own divisions, and particular the age division (itself not that longstanding) is the case everywhere.

And yet I would bet the answer still looks clumsy and evasive when he delivers it, and has no alternative phrasing when pushed.
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023

The filthy rich don't pay IHT.

Edit: Miklosvar got there first.

Labour have long been chickensh** about personalising attacks on Tory leaders, except when their dirty doings are all over the Tory media. Labour are a right bunch of forelock tuggers when it comes down to it.

Dura_Ace said:

I became an accidental follower of baseball in 2010 when my beloved Liverpool FC were bought by the people who own the Boston Red Sox.

Baseball is bloody rounders, a game played by children under the age of 11 in the UK.
    Isn't the joke that that used to be the problem for the USA when it came to soccer, that it was something you dropped your 10 year daughter off to play, not something you watched yourself?

Probably not true now.
    kle4 said:

Heathener said:

Have a nice day ;) xx

That does seem to be true in a number of places. I think we can too easily assume our own divisions, and particular the age division (itself not that longstanding) is the case everywhere.

And yet I would bet the answer still looks clumsy and evasive when he delivers it, and has no alternative phrasing when pushed.
    Lot of young people joined the Hitler Youth. ‘Thing’s can get better and here’s someone with a way to do it.’
    Peck said:

The richer you become the more unfair it becomes to tax you, and suddenly looking at the raw amount paid becomes fairer.

Weirdly, taxing rich people less makes them likely to thrive and end up paying more, whereas taxing poorer people less is just an idea that we'll get to if we can, maybe.
    kle4 said:

Peck said:

The richer you become the more unfair it becomes to tax you, and suddenly looking at the raw amount paid becomes fairer.

Weirdly, taxing rich people less makes them likely to thrive and end up paying more, whereas taxing poorer people less is just an idea that we'll get to if we can, maybe.
    The most extreme example of this, is the payments out of income exemption. If joe Bloggs who is worth £500,000 gives his child £50,000, that's capital, and IHTable unless Joe lives 7 years. If a billionaire gives his child £50,000 a month out of income, it's not capital from his POV so it is IHT exempt.

kle4 said:

Heathener said:

Have a nice day ;) xx

Lot of young people joined the Hitler Youth. ‘Thing’s can get better and here’s someone with a way to do it.’
    It did get compulsory, but not till later on ...
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    What are the odds on the Mid Beds by-election not happening?
    Peck said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

And no, it couldn’t.

In 1998 the Sunday Times published the following article, giving their sources as Israeli military and western intelligence sources and people from the BMA and Porton Down:

https://homepages.uc.edu/~chengy/times.html

More on the BMA report:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1114775/

AFAIAA that report is not available for free online. It's at Amazon for £4.99.

If only you'd been around then, eh, NigelB? You could have screamed at everyone that such targeting isn't possible and that everyone who said it was (e.g. people at the BMA, Porton Down, in the Israeli military, and in western intelligence services) were anti-Semites or idiots. Or maybe they weren't saying what they really thought, and were in a conspiracy to delude everyone else. No flies on you, eh, Nige?
    And how does that relate to engineering a pandemic virus ?

What you're talking about remains a theoretic possibility (as you'll see the articles you cite describe it), but bears no relation at all to creating such a virus.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

Taz said:

And season tickets for short distance repetitive travel to known locations on known trains distorts the stats too.
    There are also discrimination problems with these proposals, which are a warmed over Grant Shapps project.

The Office of Rail Regulation and EHRC have been excluded from consultations.

For example, I have a friend who is unable to walk, and travels using the 50% discount on a normal walk-up ticket when you remain in your wheelchair on the train. AIUI the discounted tickets are only available from ticket offices, not the ticket machines.

That imposes a substantial disadvantage on people with a protected characteristic in their use of a service provided to the public.

If Harper wanted to be rational, he would have addressed such questions first, but imo this is cynical, and Harper is proving himself to be the next Shapps.

I think there's already a Judicial Review running from a transport user organisation, but I can't find it.

There is, however, a petition from organisations for disabled people running, here:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/636542?reveal_response=yes

The Government response so far parrots the industry group Rail Delivery Group, even down to the same misleading stats.
    Miklosvar said:

kle4 said:

Peck said:

The most extreme example of this, is the payments out of income exemption. If joe Bloggs who is worth £500,000 gives his child £50,000, that's capital, and IHTable unless Joe lives 7 years. If a billionaire gives his child £50,000 a month out of income, it's not capital from his POV so it is IHT exempt.
    I'd not heard of that exemption, and I don't think my Dad had when he was doing probate on my Grandad's estate, as he was asking for all the details of all our Christmas/birthday gifts from Grandad, and I'm fairly confident his pension was absurdly generous enough that they would have come out of income rather than capital - he'd given us all lump sums when he sold his house and moved into sheltered accommodation, so he wasn't holding onto much capital.

I guess that's another exemption that would disappear if you switched IHT from an estate tax to a recipient tax.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

That reminds me I have some Lorne sausage leftover in the fridge.

Time to make a pizza.
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

I am fecking stupid and stubborn to the point that there are probably quite a few things that I wouldn't do even if the alternative was fried testes. I don't think it's one of my finer qualities however.
    The Jan 6th case against Trump.

Trump on Trial: A Model Prosecution Memo for Federal Election Interference Crimes
    https://www.justsecurity.org/87236/trump-on-trial-a-model-prosecution-memo-for-federal-election-interference-crimes/
This discussion has been closed.