Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The latest WH2024 betting – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited July 2023 in General
imageThe latest WH2024 betting – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• How ridiculous
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    edited July 2023
    Second.
    Meanwhile. Tuesday was the world's hottest day recorded.
    Beating the record of...well Monday.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/05/tuesday-was-worlds-hottest-day-on-record-breaking-mondays-record
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Seems about right. Each with their also rans hovering at 5% or lower, and one official or unofficial 'if the lead candidate falls under a bus' option. I guess maybe Harris could be a little higher, on the basis she is the planned VP nomination and despite not being super well liked might pick up a bit more support in that scenario.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    It would be interesting to know how often the nomination favourites a year out actually win the nomination.

Off to Google to try to find out...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    FPT:
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

ONS, or OSR as they now style themselves, rebukes Sadiq Khan for his figures that suggest only 10% of vehicles currently driving in the expanded zone, are not exempt from paying the charge.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/06/30/sadiq-khan-london-mayor-rebuked-transparency-ulez/

Meanwhile, figures for last year, with the smaller zone around the A406 and A205 (north circular and south circular roads) show revenues of £230m (including £75m in fines), and outstanding fines of £250m.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/great-ulez-revolt-drivers-snub-fines-250m-unpaid/

Definitely not a money grab, not at all.

Oh, and the expansion zone is many times bigger than the existing zone.

£12.50 a day. All day, every day.
    You can get a compliant car for less than that.
    Can you? Link please, to car that’s £12.50 a day. Presumably one of these American-style “Buy Here Pay Here” dealerships now has one available?
    £12.50/day is £375/month. That's going to buy something reasonable, if not DuraAce-compliant.
    The important point is that no deposit and no credit rating needs to be required - a product available for someone on a zero-hours contract, let’s say delivering parcels.
    Hang on: you don't mean *no* credit rating. Because the only people with *no* credit rating will be people who have never had a single bill - no electricity, no gas, no council tax, no mobile phone contract.

And most importantly... no car insurance.

Now, sure, these people will exist, but there won't be many of them. (And mostly they will be fresh off the MegaBus.)

What I think you mean is people with poor credit.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited July 2023

It would be interesting to know how often the nomination favourites a year out actually win the nomination.

Often they don't, otherwise the 2016 GOP nominee would have been Rick Perry or the pizza guy.

However, this year is a bit different - both Trump and Biden are effectively incumbents.
    edited July 2023

Tried ShiteGPT first: "The outcome of presidential nominations in the United States can vary significantly, and historical data shows that the success of the front-runners a year ahead of the election is not always guaranteed." etc. etc. FFS

https://chat.openai.com/share/67032207-01de-4138-8010-ac38c1937ed4
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Hate to say it, but I think RFK is underpriced. He’s not going away and intends to run to the Convention.
    FPT

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

ONS, or OSR as they now style themselves, rebukes Sadiq Khan for his figures that suggest only 10% of vehicles currently driving in the expanded zone, are not exempt from paying the charge.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/06/30/sadiq-khan-london-mayor-rebuked-transparency-ulez/

Meanwhile, figures for last year, with the smaller zone around the A406 and A205 (north circular and south circular roads) show revenues of £230m (including £75m in fines), and outstanding fines of £250m.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/great-ulez-revolt-drivers-snub-fines-250m-unpaid/

Can you? Link please, to car that’s £12.50 a day. Presumably one of these American-style “Buy Here Pay Here” dealerships now has one available?
    £12.50/day is £375/month. That's going to buy something reasonable, if not DuraAce-compliant.
    The important point is that no deposit and no credit rating needs to be required - a product available for someone on a zero-hours contract, let’s say delivering parcels.
    While we are taking about people who are in such positions…

A while back we were discussing bank account access for the poor. Given the profusion of accounts with rapid sign up, offering no credit, but with all the other facilities of a bank account, from both the banks and the alt-banks, what is the significant blocker for poor people getting a simple account like that?

Credit worthiness shouldn’t be the block there - what is?
    Technology and money.

Take Monzo (and some others) are App only, you cannot access your account on a browser;

Some of these people do not have a smartphone to open/access their accounts.

Reality is some of these people cannot even afford a £50 very basic smartphone.
    The £50 basic smartphone, will be so many Andriod versions behind, as to be unsupported anyway.

You can still get a basic bank account at the Post Office, right? Is the problem people having insufficient documentation of an address?
    The Post Office Basic Account was closed a while back.

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/benefits/problems-with-benefits/what-to-do-now-your-post-office-card-account-is-closing
    Dare I ask why? I hate government services as much as most conservatives, but as a fallback for those who have bank accounts shut on them…?
    The Post Office doesn't have the infrastructure to operate a bank and the feeling is that it is very easy to open a basic account with the High Street (sic) banks.
    The feeling?

Obviously not the feeling of a lot of people at the moment.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    edited July 2023
    dixiedean said:

Second.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/05/tuesday-was-worlds-hottest-day-on-record-breaking-mondays-record

Old American expression, heard mostly in summertime: "Hotter than a two-dollar pistol on the Fourth of July!"

Addendum - Truer today (and yesterday) than ever before.
    FPT, for @Leon
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Oh sweet bleeding Jesus, the Daily Mail Notifications are back

I've not known anything like it. I have installed every possible ad blocker, cleared all data, ticked every No Notifications thingy, yet still they come. The Alien of the internet, the perfect assailant

It's getting to the stage where I might have to do an entire factory reset of the laptop, or buy a new one

(Yes, I am aware of the irony)

Idiot.

Use a different browser

Disable notifications in the operating system. https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-disable-notifications/

Create a new user on your computer. Make sure it’s a local user not a Microsoft account.

(Alternatively, buy yourself a new laptop and I’ll fix your old one and keep it for my own nefarious browsing habits).
    I just did every single thing you recommended...... and as soon as I finished, I got a Daily Mail Notification

Would a factory reset do it, d'ya reckon?

(I am v grateful for the advice, even if it's not working so good)
    Seriously, can you post a screen shot of the notification (appropriately anonymised)?
    If and when I get another, sure

Thing is, I just went looking to uninstall Chrome (thought I'd try that) and I found, lurking in my Apps file, a Daily Mail Online app

How the F did that get in there? No way I ever consciously downloaded that. I know that a few days ago I accidentally clicked "Allow" on a Daily Mail Notifications box - so I have been blaming that

But all the time, this App has been lurking. Like the fungus in The Last of Us, maybe, waiting to be triggered, and burrow its way to the Surface
    Apols for sounding like a stuck record but I have never had a unwanted app install itself since switching to Apple 12 years ago.
    There's a guy on Twitter who alleges that the Mails' Allow/Block Notifications box is a fake, and merely by clicking on it - even Block - it then installs a widget on your PC

"Not that I should really expect any better, but the fact that the Daily Mail website displays a fake notification consent box so it can spam you after you click "Block" is particularly deceitful."

https://twitter.com/cpuonfire/status/1637560495489142785?s=20

No idea if that is true
    Set up a second user account on your computer. This should be a “local account”, and not a “Microsoft Account”.

Make sure it’s type “administrator” and give it a password. This is the “admin password”

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d

Log in as that user, and go back to the same user admin screen. Select your usual account, and make the type “User”, rather than “administrator”.

Now go back to your normal user, and carry on.

If the computer EVER pops up a prompt for the admin user password, it’s trying to install software.

If you actually clicked on a piece of software to install than great, type in the password and away you go.

If you didn’t specifically want to install software right now, then click “Cancel” and it won’t install.

(By the way, this is much more how Macs work, requiring the password to install stuff. It’s subtly different enough to cause problems if you move from Mac back to Windows)
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

dixiedean said:

Second.

Old American expression, heard mostly in summertime: "Hotter than a two-dollar pistol on the Fourth of July!"

Addendum - Truer today (and yesterday) than ever before.
    My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
    Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow
    Loads a mite slow and i soon found out
    It can get you into trouble but it can't get you out.

Tried ShiteGPT first: "The outcome of presidential nominations in the United States can vary significantly, and historical data shows that the success of the front-runners a year ahead of the election is not always guaranteed." etc. etc. FFS

That's a vague to the point of uselessness comment. We don't need AI for that, we do just fine on our own.

Often they don't, otherwise the 2016 GOP nominee would have been Rick Perry or the pizza guy.

However, this year is a bit different - both Trump and Biden are effectively incumbents.
    Yes, it does feel it isn't mentioned enough how unusual it is that Trump effectively secured the attention (and loyalty) of the party despite everything, in a country which has for a long time had no issue dropping losers, or just not having a 'leader' in the way he has been - not as much as a UK party leader, but still more than usual.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-biden-probably-wont-get-a-serious-primary-challenger/

Vote share for incumbent presidents across all primary elections, 1972 to 2020

YEAR PARTY INCUMBENT NAT’L PRIMARY VOTE
    1972 R Richard Nixon 86.9%
    1976 R Gerald Ford 53.3
    1980 D Jimmy Carter 51.2
    1984 R Ronald Reagan 98.6
    1992 R G.H.W. Bush 72.5
    1996 D Bill Clinton 88.5
    2004 R George W. Bush 98.0
    2012 D Barack Obama 91.4
    2020 R Donald Trump 94.0
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Hang on: you don't mean *no* credit rating. Because the only people with *no* credit rating will be people who have never had a single bill - no electricity, no gas, no council tax, no mobile phone contract.

Now, sure, these people will exist, but there won't be many of them. (And mostly they will be fresh off the MegaBus.)

Indeed. Someone who might have scraped a £500 car a few years back, and just about keeps it on the road, now told he has to pay £12.50 a day or get a new car.

Or tradesmen with diesel trucks, which are even more of a problem.

You live in the US, you know what “Buy Here, Pay Here” garages are. There will be plenty of these turning up in the UK in the next few years IMHO. Perhaps there’s an opportunity to sell them short-term insurance?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Sandpit said:

Hate to say it, but I think RFK is underpriced. He’s not going away and intends to run to the Convention.

You're mad
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    edited July 2023
    FPT for @HYUFD

"Tied-second lowest SNP vote share in any UK GE poll by any pollster since Oct 2014.

Scotland Westminster VI (1-2 July):

SNP 35% (-2)
    Labour 32% (+4)
    Conservative 21% (+1)
    Lib Dem 7% (-2)
    Green 2% (-1)
    Reform 2% (-1)
    Other 1% (+1)"

+++

Even if we assume Other is Alba, and give them the whole 1 percent, that has YES supporting parties on 38% and NO supporting parties on 62%. Surely the biggest implied NO lead in many many years. Pre indyref?

However the actual indy question has NO on 49 and YES on 45, which is actually a sligh narrowing

Suggests to me that pro-indy is becoming not just detached from SNP voting but from political reality. More of a vague desire, or an inchoate yearning, not something to be transmuted into actuality. Or YES voters have just given up on indy parties in disgust
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    An interesting thread on SO2, shipping and climate change:

https://twitter.com/RARohde/status/1676529805502693377

I've no idea if the science is correct, and if it is correlation or causation, but it seems reasonable.

Just looking back to distant dawn of the 3rd millennium, 2008 was notable for the rise of Barack Obama AND also of John McCain.

And number of examples from 20th century, for example 1912 Democratic nomination, 1920 Republican, 1924 Democratic, 1940 Republican, 1952 Republican, 1968 Democratic, 1972 Democratic, 1976 Democratic, 1988 Republican (I think), 1988 Democratic, 1992 Democratic
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Indeed. Someone who might have scraped a £500 car a few years back, and just about keeps it on the road, now told he has to pay £12.50 a day or get a new car.

You live in the US, you know what “Buy Here, Pay Here” garages are. There will be plenty of these turning up in the UK in the next few years IMHO. Perhaps there’s an opportunity to sell them short-term insurance?
    There's one other thing you need to know: your credit score has an absolutely massive impact on the price of your car insurance. It's not visible in the UK, because companies aren't required to disclose their ratings factors, but someone with poor credit will pay almost twice as much for insurance as someone with good credit:

Why?

Two reasons.

(1) People with poor credit are much more likely to leave their insurers with bad debt problems.

(2) Credit score is a really good proxy for risk appetite. People who run close to the wind from a financial perspective are much more likely to speed, drink drive etc.

It sucks, however, if the reason you have bad credit is simply because you are poor.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Sandpit said:

He is also a very dangerous piece of sh*t, whose 'counter-culture' calls are exceptionally dangerous. He is far, far worse than Trump.
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    Yeah, incumbants win, so Biden is close to a lock barring health. Even if he was not in the race RFK should be 100/1+, he is in the wrong party for his views.

Trump a back as well.
    Sandpit said:

Were you able back in the day, to tap into similar opportunity re: Lyndon LaRouche?
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

There's one other thing you need to know: your credit score has an absolutely massive impact on the price of your car insurance. It's not visible in the UK, because companies aren't required to disclose their ratings factors, but someone with poor credit will pay almost twice as much for insurance as someone with good credit:

Why?

Two reasons.

(1) People with poor credit are much more likely to leave their insurers with bad debt problems.

(2) Credit score is a really good proxy for risk appetite. People who run close to the wind from a financial perspective are much more likely to speed, drink drive etc.

It sucks, however, if the reason you have bad credit is simply because you are poor.
    So segment by mix of credit score and income/wealth? Rich with poor credit must be the worst, and poor with good credit the best?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    Promising report from the Guardian and further evidence of Sunak and UVDL's willingness to cooperate

UK edges closer to re-joining EU’s £85bn Horizon science programme

Talks on returning as an associate member after Brexit row are close to agreement, say diplomatic sources

The UK is on the brink of doing a deal to return to the EU’s £85bn science research programme Horizon Europe.

Diplomatic sources say negotiations to become an associate member will continue over the weekend and the two sides are close to agreement after three months of talks, largely over the cost of re-entry.

The UK was locked out of Horizon in 2020 in a tit-for-tat dispute over the failure to implement the Northern Ireland protocol trade arrangements in the original Brexit withdrawal agreement.

But the door to associate membership was reopened when the replacement Windsor framework was sealed in March, with the European Commission chief, Ursula von der Leyen, declaring a deal could be done “swiftly”.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Why?

Two reasons.

It is a lot more expensive being poor than rich as observed by sir Pterry with the vimes theory of boots
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

Promising report from the Guardian and further evidence of Sunak and UVDL's willingness to cooperate

UK edges closer to re-joining EU’s £85bn Horizon science programme

Talks on returning as an associate member after Brexit row are close to agreement, say diplomatic sources

The UK is on the brink of doing a deal to return to the EU’s £85bn science research programme Horizon Europe.

Diplomatic sources say negotiations to become an associate member will continue over the weekend and the two sides are close to agreement after three months of talks, largely over the cost of re-entry.

The UK was locked out of Horizon in 2020 in a tit-for-tat dispute over the failure to implement the Northern Ireland protocol trade arrangements in the original Brexit withdrawal agreement.

But the door to associate membership was reopened when the replacement Windsor framework was sealed in March, with the European Commission chief, Ursula von der Leyen, declaring a deal could be done “swiftly”.

Oh good, another chance for Rishi to get out his shiny chequebook and pen.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

FPT for @HYUFD

"Tied-second lowest SNP vote share in any UK GE poll by any pollster since Oct 2014.

Scotland Westminster VI (1-2 July):

SNP 35% (-2)
    Labour 32% (+4)
    Conservative 21% (+1)
    Lib Dem 7% (-2)
    Green 2% (-1)
    Reform 2% (-1)
    Other 1% (+1)"

+++

Even if we assume Other is Alba, and give them the whole 1 percent, that has YES supporting parties on 38% and NO supporting parties on 62%. Surely the biggest implied NO lead in many many years. Pre indyref?

Yes, and this is why I believe some of the VI will creep back to SNP closer to the election. As much as malcolmg wants this not to be true, those who are driven by wanting independence don't have a lot of realistic alternatives.

Much more interesting would be a Holyrood vote, but that's not going to be til after the WM election.
    You could be right, see my edited comment. Support for indy is still solid. 45% - with NO on 49% (but boy is that NO lead hard to budge!)

However I believe the psychology behind the YES vote is slowly but surely changing
    Sandpit said:

I'm not sure that's true.

Unless Biden steps down, then the Dems will do what the Republicans did in 2020 and largely prevent any kind of organised challenge to the incumbent. There won't be debates. RFK will find that it is hard to even get on the ballot in a number of states. Plus, of course, the first Democratic primary is going to be in South Carolina, which is hardly fertile territory for him.

Biden therefore has to drop out the race for RFK to be more than a 1,000-1 shot. And that's perfectly possible; it's certainly more than a 1-in-20 chance, if probably not a 1-in-10 one.

The problem is that if Biden drops out then there are a ton of opponents for RFK. He's probably not more than a 15% chance, even in that scenario.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Biden 42% Trump 43% in a new Echelon poll but Biden 45% De Santis 42%
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Sandpit said:

Surely he's got no chance so has limited value even as a trading bet. Gavin Newsom is still value if you think Biden might falter.
    Not sure how this affects his punting prospects, but worth noting, that RFK Jr 2024 = Kanye West 2020.

Which may explain why Kennedy is raising beaucoup bucks from GOPers and/or MAGAmaniacs?
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    I’m not saying he has any chance, I’m saying his price is likely to come in at some point between now and next summer.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    HYUFD said:

It really is astonishing that our American cousins are a plurality in favour of a treasonous orange mobster as president.

It is so likely to happen despite its absurdity that it makes betting on the US elections far too unpredictable for me.
    Hundreds of millions in Ulez fines are going unpaid as drivers “revolt” over the controversial charge, casting doubt over its expansion.

Penalty charge notices relating Sadiq Khan’s Ultra-Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) worth £255m were outstanding at the end of last year, The Telegraph can reveal.

The Mayor of London’s flagship net zero scheme was owed more money from drivers in unpaid fines than it made during the financial year from 2022 to 2023, figures obtained under the Freedom of Information Act showed.

LOL if true.
    There are two stand out bets there.

One is on Biden. He's President. He's said he's running again. And the DNC will ensure that there's no real opposition to a sitting President going for renomination.

The other one is Harris.

Why? Because if Biden is forced to step down* in the next 12 months, she would either enter the race as incumbent President (if it happened before the primaries begin) or would sweep up all his delegates if it happened after the elections began.

I'd say there is a 1% chance of Biden being challenged and losing the nomination.

And there's a c. 15% chance that he is unable to make it through to confirmation as the Dem's candidate. In which case, Harris would be the clear favourite.

* Or if he passed away
    edited July 2023

Just looking back to distant dawn of the 3rd millennium, 2008 was notable for the rise of Barack Obama AND also of John McCain.

And number of examples from 20th century, for example 1912 Democratic nomination, 1920 Republican, 1924 Democratic, 1940 Republican, 1952 Republican, 1968 Democratic, 1972 Democratic, 1976 Democratic, 1988 Republican (I think), 1988 Democratic, 1992 Democratic
    Thanks. Started to trawl through Wiki to construct some kind a table - got as far as noting that Jeb Bush was narrow favourite at this stage in 2015, and Rudi Giuliani (yes, really) was leading in 2007...

...then I lost the will to see this project through and gave up tbh.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Why?

Two reasons.

Exactly! OTOH, I have absolutely dog-sh!t credit, because I worked for myself for five years, and my wife’s company pays our rent so there’s nothing in my name at all.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    Miklosvar said:

Hundreds of millions in Ulez fines are going unpaid as drivers “revolt” over the controversial charge, casting doubt over its expansion.

Penalty charge notices relating Sadiq Khan’s Ultra-Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) worth £255m were outstanding at the end of last year, The Telegraph can reveal.

The Mayor of London’s flagship net zero scheme was owed more money from drivers in unpaid fines than it made during the financial year from 2022 to 2023, figures obtained under the Freedom of Information Act showed.

LOL if true.

It's not a net zero policy. Great reporting by the Telegraph.
    edited July 2023
    HYUFD said:

538 also lists Echelon poll as Biden 45% Trump 44% from the same dates. Confusing.

Edit: the Echelon polls with Trump ahead also have 3rd party candidates listed (West, Cohne or Swift, whoever they are). Not sure of the signficance of that.
    Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

@RochdalePioneers was irritated and angry this morning that anyone should have the temerity to complain and anyway it only affected a handful of cars

Seems it is affecting a large number of ordinary folks who are either unable to pay or won't pay

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

@RochdalePioneers was irritated and angry this morning that anyone should have the temerity to complain and anyway it only affected a handful of cars

Seems it is affecting a large number of ordinary folks who are either unable to pay or won't pay
    Well civil disobedience is a form of protest I am sure that all those complaining about the laws affecting JSO and XR and supporting them will also be supporting this protest
    rcs1000 said:

One is on Biden. He's President. He's said he's running again. And the DNC will ensure that there's no real opposition to a sitting President going for renomination.

The other one is Harris.

Why? Because if Biden is forced to step down* in the next 12 months, she would either enter the race as incumbent President (if it happened before the primaries begin) or would sweep up all his delegates if it happened after the elections began.

I'd say there is a 1% chance of Biden being challenged and losing the nomination.

And there's a c. 15% chance that he is unable to make it through to confirmation as the Dem's candidate. In which case, Harris would be the clear favourite.

* Or if he passed away

If Harris is Democratic candidate, Melania Trump may as well start measuring up the White House curtains again
    FPT:

OSR rebukes Sadiq Khan for his figures that suggest only 10% of vehicles currently driving in the expanded zone, are not exempt from paying the charge.

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

Well civil disobedience is a form of protest I am sure that all those complaining about the laws affecting JSO and XR and supporting them will also be supporting this protest
    The best way is in the ballot box
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    I’m not saying he has any chance, I’m saying his price is likely to come in at some point between now and next summer.
    He's horrible as a trading bet. He is the same price for the Dem nom

HYUFD said:

538 also lists Echelon poll as Biden 45% Trump 44% from the same dates. Confusing.

Edit: the Echelon polls with Trump ahead also have 3rd party candidates listed (West, Cohne or Swift, whoever they are). Not sure of the signficance of that.
    45/44 is Biden vs Trump named options
    42/43 is Biden vs Trump vs West (Green party)
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

The other one is Harris.

* Or if he passed away

If Harris is Democratic candidate, Melania Trump may as well start measuring up the White House curtains again
    Put that way the future of Western Democracy hangs on the continued good health of an 80 year old.

God help us all.

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

The ballot box does nothing because it doesn't matter whether you vote tory,lab or lib dem
    Farooq said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

How do you infer who is refusing to pay? Could be any kinds of vehicles, no? Vans, lorries, snowploughs, horse boxes...
    The common denominator is 'drivers'
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

45/44 would still likely see Trump win, given he won the EC in 2016 even when 2% behind Clinton.

Albeit Biden did better in the rustbelt swing states than Clinton, so if Trump's vote is up more in the South than swing states Biden could still win
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

Unlike you to sanction lawbreaking BigG.
    Farooq said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

Take their cars and crush them into a small cube. Mission accomplished.
    Lots of poor people even poorer. Yay.

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

I am not sanctioning anything but it is clear the fines are not being collected
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    "Am I? We'll see!"
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

45/44 would still likely see Trump win, given he won the EC in 2016 even when 2% behind Clinton.

Albeit Biden did better in the rustbelt swing states than Clinton, so if Trump's vote is up more in the South than swing states Biden could still win
    Yes. Biden will need economic good news or the Republican primary to somehow wound the Republican Trump god.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

Indeed, a bit of a Poll Tax Community Charge in reverse.
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

The ballot box does nothing because it doesn't matter whether you vote tory,lab or lib dem
    It seems to matter rather a lot to the people who do vote for one of those.

Just because you don't see a big enough difference to please you, doesn't mean others agree.
    The country has a lot of stupid people....isn't that cannon on the left when you question about how people can vote tory...I just have a wider definition.
    I don't vote anymore because it really is a complete and utter waste of time when all three parties just want to manage the decline.

When a party comes round with an actual plan that might work I will vote for them in the meantime I will do all I can to break things
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    He's horrible as a trading bet. He is the same price for the Dem nom
    We were talking about the Dem Nom market, no?

I think there will be a poll, or an ‘episode’ from Biden, at some point in the next year, that suddenly makes RFK a 10% or 20% chance - which in my (theoretical) Betfair market, would be time to cash out.
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    Shall we cut out Betfair and bet directly with Sandpit to avoid the premium charge?

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    Shall we cut out Betfair and bet directly with Sandpit to avoid the premium charge?
    So long as you give me a chance to cash out at the current odds, at any time between now and the election?
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

The other one is Harris.

* Or if he passed away

If Harris is the Democratic candidate, it is indeed excellent news for Donald Trump. (Not, for the record, that I think Gavin Newsom is a great candidate.)

But there are still a lot of circumstances where she become the nominee. And only one where she does not.

If Biden says "I'm not running, it's a free for all for the 2024 Democratic nomination", then that's great news for Newsom, Buttigieig, etc. But that's basically the only scenario where there's a non-Biden, non-Harris nominee.
    edited July 2023
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

The other one is Harris.

* Or if he passed away

If Harris is the Democratic candidate, it is indeed excellent news for Donald Trump. (Not, for the record, that I think Gavin Newsom is a great candidate.)

But there are still a lot of circumstances where she become the nominee. And only one where she does not.

If Biden says "I'm not running, it's a free for all for the 2024 Democratic nomination", then that's great news for Newsom, Buttigieig, etc. But that's basically the only scenario where there's a non-Biden, non-Harris nominee.
    Yes at the moment Biden has said he is running again and is probably the Democrats best bet of beating Trump.

In 2020 he proved he could beat Trump in Pennsylvania and Michigan and Arizona, key states Hillary lost. Newsom and Harris would like Hillary just pile up votes on the coast but lose the rustbelt swing states.

Even Buttigieg might end up steamrollered by the Trump juggernaut again.

Ironically De Santis as GOP nominee might be Harris and Newsom's best chance. If Biden then did not run again too Trump would likely run as an Independent, splitting the Republican vote and letting them through the middle to win the EC
    edited July 2023
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

How do you infer who is refusing to pay? Could be any kinds of vehicles, no? Vans, lorries, snowploughs, horse boxes...
    The common denominator is 'drivers'
    But you said "ordinary folks". Is that a synonym for "driver"?
    If a truck drives into the ULEZ, who's liable to pay? The driver, the owner, the operator?
    For a lot of trucks, those three people are all the same person.
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

OSR rebukes Sadiq Khan for his figures that suggest only 10% of vehicles currently driving in the expanded zone, are not exempt from paying the charge.

If I am reading it correctly 859,000 cars with warrants on passed to enforcement agents last year alone.......

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transparency/freedom-of-information/foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-0485-2324
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

Gandhi's Salt March :lol:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    Open up a UAE facing bookie? I hope you have good voice dictation software for pb posting.....
    edited July 2023

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    Open up a UAE facing bookie? I hope you have good voice dictation software for pb posting.....
    If they can get a UAE bookie set up, I’m in.

We have to do a blooming sweepstake competition at the horses over here.

We do have a casino opening up soon though, but well out of town.

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You're mad
    Voice dictation software really doesn't like my working class Yorkshire accent.

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

No that's Scottish Nationalism.

Denying an indyref is just like the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

Just because you don't see a big enough difference to please you, doesn't mean others agree.
    The country has a lot of stupid people....isn't that cannon on the left when you question about how people can vote tory...I just have a wider definition.
    I don't vote anymore because it really is a complete and utter waste of time when all three parties just want to manage the decline.

When a party comes round with an actual plan that might work I will vote for them in the meantime I will do all I can to break things
    Everybody's wrong apart from me!
    When people keep voting for parties that will do fuck all to improve their lot then yes they are stupid. That is the argument that people like you use for people voting tory. The only difference is I say the same about labour and the lib dems.

I get you have this impression you are somehow superior to tory voters...no you arent. Starmer will get in next time I have no doubt and under his stewardship I guarantee the lot of the bottom 70 percent of the country will worsen, would be the same if you elect the tories or the lib dems.

They all follow the same ideology we have had for the last 40 years in this country. The ideology that landed us here. Not my fault you are so tribal as to believe your team will make stuff better by following those same policies if slightly tweaked. You go ahead and believe you are an intelligent person though if it makes you feel better

Thanks. Started to trawl through Wiki to construct some kind a table - got as far as noting that Jeb Bush was narrow favourite at this stage in 2015, and Rudi Giuliani (yes, really) was leading in 2007...

...then I lost the will to see this project through and gave up tbh.
    Proof of God's tender mercy, that somehow mercifully forgot about Jeb Bush.
    Last time England reached a European Under-21 final was in 2009 when they lost to Germany. Six of Germany’s squad went on to win the World Cup, seven of England's went on to play for Sunderland.

https://twitter.com/jonawils/status/1676654378122354705

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

I haven't seen any British troops shooting Yes marchers.

SNP support now less than 40%, the government was correct to refuse indyref2 as the SC affirmed
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I've not known anything like it. I have installed every possible ad blocker, cleared all data, ticked every No Notifications thingy, yet still they come. The Alien of the internet, the perfect assailant

It's getting to the stage where I might have to do an entire factory reset of the laptop, or buy a new one

Idiot.

Use a different browser

Disable notifications in the operating system. https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-disable-notifications/

Create a new user on your computer. Make sure it’s a local user not a Microsoft account.

(Alternatively, buy yourself a new laptop and I’ll fix your old one and keep it for my own nefarious browsing habits).
    I just did every single thing you recommended...... and as soon as I finished, I got a Daily Mail Notification

Seriously, can you post a screen shot of the notification (appropriately anonymised)?

Thing is, I just went looking to uninstall Chrome (thought I'd try that) and I found, lurking in my Apps file, a Daily Mail Online app

How the F did that get in there? No way I ever consciously downloaded that. I know that a few days ago I accidentally clicked "Allow" on a Daily Mail Notifications box - so I have been blaming that

But all the time, this App has been lurking. Like the fungus in The Last of Us, maybe, waiting to be triggered, and burrow its way to the Surface
    Apols for sounding like a stuck record but I have never had a unwanted app install itself since switching to Apple 12 years ago.
    There's a guy on Twitter who alleges that the Mails' Allow/Block Notifications box is a fake, and merely by clicking on it - even Block - it then installs a widget on your PC

"Not that I should really expect any better, but the fact that the Daily Mail website displays a fake notification consent box so it can spam you after you click "Block" is particularly deceitful."

No idea if that is true
    I heard the Daily Mail has a sniper on the roof, and if you block the notifications BLAM SPLAT
    According to MY sources (accessed via my tin-foil helmet) what happens is, a horde of "journalists" goes around your neighborhood, workplace, mother-in-law, etc., etc. asking if they have info, insight or other comment on recent allegations that you frequently enjoy congress with a variety of non-consenting barnyard fowl?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    HYUFD said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

SNP support now less than 40%, the government was correct to refuse indyref2 as the SC affirmed
    As you have been doing for more than a decade, you're deliberately confusing SNP support with indy support. Which are different as Leon pointed out only this afternoon.
    HYUFD said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

Anbd you are the one who demands execution for treason, and define treason as ...

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

ooh, is it? Never thought of it like that. Not convinced.
    edited July 2023
    Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

If I am reading it correctly 859,000 cars with warrants on passed to enforcement agents last year alone.......

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transparency/freedom-of-information/foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-0485-2324
    Warrants, not cars.
    Cars are only one type of vehicle, and the same vehicle can be represented multiple times.
    Journeys between 22/11/2021 to 15/2/2023:

Total PCNs Issued PCNs Open PCNs Written Off
    Berkshire 67,558 24,489 12
    Buckinghamshire 48,926 18,042 20
    Essex 144,907 68,851 83
    Greater London 1,173,322 844,505 1,241
    Hertfordshire 47,803 19,167 20

Some more stats. Enforcement of the existing zone is absolutely terrible, over 70% of fines issued to London registered cars are unpaid. What happens when the zone massively expands?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

HYUFD said:

We’re Swift Taylor Swift, she’d easily win.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    Big G has spotted a possible chink in Labour’s armour, and he is on it like a fat kid on a smartie.
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

When people keep voting for parties that will do fuck all to improve their lot then yes they are stupid. That is the argument that people like you use for people voting tory. The only difference is I say the same about labour and the lib dems.

I get you have this impression you are somehow superior to tory voters...no you arent. Starmer will get in next time I have no doubt and under his stewardship I guarantee the lot of the bottom 70 percent of the country will worsen, would be the same if you elect the tories or the lib dems.

They all follow the same ideology we have had for the last 40 years in this country. The ideology that landed us here. Not my fault you are so tribal as to believe your team will make stuff better by following those same policies if slightly tweaked. You go ahead and believe you are an intelligent person though if it makes you feel better
    Just so you know, I've voted Tory more than I've voted Labour. Back in the day when the Tories were a sensible, liberal party.

I've never voted Labour. But I might.

You're the calling (nearly) all voters stupid, not me. You're raging at your own reflection.
    Voters desperately switch from one to the other hoping they will protect there middle class life styles. Sorry they wont. If the tories get in the top 20% will do well and the lifestyles of the bottom 80% will worsen, same will happen under starmer or whoever the leader of the lib dems is.

The ballot box is no longer a vehicle that can enforce change in the way the country needs because too many are just hoping to protect there lifestyle and hoping in the face of all the evidence that changing their vote from one centrist party to another will do it.

Sooner the whole country crashes and burns the sooner we can start to rebuild. Yes it will hurt but the only way things might change for the better for those less well off.
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Idiot.

Use a different browser

No idea if that is true
    I heard the Daily Mail has a sniper on the roof, and if you block the notifications BLAM SPLAT
    According to MY sources (accessed via my tin-foil helmet) what happens is, a horde of "journalists" goes around your neighborhood, workplace, mother-in-law, etc., etc. asking if they have info, insight or other comment on recent allegations that you frequently enjoy congress with a variety of non-consenting barnyard fowl?
    I would like it on record that I have not molested a tame goose in the last 11 years. I will take a lie-detector test to prove my innocence if needs be.
    But your wording begs the question, what about a feral goose?

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Warrants, not cars.
    Cars are only one type of vehicle, and the same vehicle can be represented multiple times.

Essex 144,907 68,851 83

Some more stats. Enforcement of the existing zone is absolutely terrible, over 70% of fines issued to London registered cars are unpaid. What happens when the zone massively expands?
                      Total PCNs Issued    PCNs Open    PCNs Written Off
    Essex 144,907 68,851 83
    FYFFY
    edited July 2023

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Warrants, not cars.

Essex 144,907 68,851 83

The criminals cloning number plates have a massively expanded business, and more innocent people around the country, many of whom have never been near London, get dragged into the court system trying to explain their innocence?
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

I am not a massive fan of your posts, but it’s true when you say:

1. The 40 year model (“neo-liberalism”) has run out of road.

2. No party is yet read to acknowledge this. Instead it is *Biden* of all people who nudges toward the “next thing”.
    Re: RFKjr reckon he's running (in a manner of speaking) for the Democratic nomination AND also in the general election.

Similar (ditto) to John Anderson in 1980, when he ran for Republican nomination, and then when he lost that to Ronald Reagan, as an Independent in the GE.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

There are several other parties who had MPs voted in at the last general election. You could vote Green. You could vote Plaid in Wales, or SNP in Scotland. Obviously a huge choice in N Ireland. UKIP have had an MP win at a general election in recent years. Independents can win.

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

I am not a massive fan of your posts, but it’s true when you say:

1. The 40 year model (“neo-liberalism”) has run out of road.

2. No party is yet read to acknowledge this. Instead it is *Biden* of all people who nudges toward the “next thing”.
    It wasn't even an argument I made about which way we should go, just keep going the same way and expecting things to get better doesn't seem wise
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

Just so you know, I've voted Tory more than I've voted Labour. Back in the day when the Tories were a sensible, liberal party.

You're the calling (nearly) all voters stupid, not me. You're raging at your own reflection.
    Voters desperately switch from one to the other hoping they will protect there middle class life styles. Sorry they wont. If the tories get in the top 20% will do well and the lifestyles of the bottom 80% will worsen, same will happen under starmer or whoever the leader of the lib dems is.

The ballot box is no longer a vehicle that can enforce change in the way the country needs because too many are just hoping to protect there lifestyle and hoping in the face of all the evidence that changing their vote from one centrist party to another will do it.

Sooner the whole country crashes and burns the sooner we can start to rebuild. Yes it will hurt but the only way things might change for the better for those less well off.
    It’s interesting to get this sort of revolutionary opinion on PB as it’s quite unusual. What sort of revolution would you like, a right wing, left wing, religious, or separatist/localist sort?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    edited July 2023
    On topic.
    (Posted by Kari Lake’s campaign manager on twitter btw)

Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Warrants, not cars.

Essex 144,907 68,851 83

The criminals cloning number plates have a massively expanded business, and more innocent people around the country, who have never been near London, get dragged into the problem?
    As a society we massively overplay how effective legislation is, and think the answer to almost everything is legislation. So we introduce more and more laws each year, without increasing the capacity to even remotely keep up with fair enforcement.

Basically the law abiding will be taken for mugs and the deliberate law breakers know they are too many in number for the chance of them being penalised to be significant.

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

It’s interesting to get this sort of revolutionary opinion on PB as it’s quite unusual. What sort of revolution would you like, a right wing, left wing, religious, or separatist/localist sort?
    I haven't argued for any way of going, I just see it as we can't keep on this path. Over the last forty years the poor have got poorer, the rich have got richer. This can't go on and electing someone of any rosette colour to keep on with the same policies is madness.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    rcs1000 said:

The other one is Harris.

* Or if he passed away

Aside from the charge Biden is now too senile, the Dems would be crazy to make him their nominee, is there an argument against Biden that his presidency has just been, well, crap?

What have Dem voters and Independents got out of it? What’s in it for them if the last four years has been Tumbleweed Whitehouse not really doing anything with power?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

On topic.
    (Posted by Kari Lake’s campaign manager on twitter btw)

Blimey, look at that massive cock.

Although I think the CGI enhanced crotch is going a bit far.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

LOL if true.

Arguably the central plank of the last 25 years of "LibLabCon" policy has been artificially low interest rates, so we may now be getting the revolution anyway.
    Meanwhile HMG does their best to encourage modal shift in transport:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12265765/Mass-closure-nearly-rail-station-ticket-offices-hurt-elderly-blind-most.html#comments

The DM Zimmeriat are not at all happy. There are even best-rated comments supporting the unions.
    I’m posting again on the bizarre idea - signed off by the government - to close railway ticket offices.

Apparently all ticket offices at Euston, for example, are to go.

This is the “enshittification” of the railways.
    edited July 2023

I’m posting again on the bizarre idea - signed off by the government - to close railway ticket offices.

Apparently all ticket offices at Euston, for example, are to go.

This is the “enshittification” of the railways.

Like being a track worker in the old days. With all the shite and pish falling on your workplace.
This discussion has been closed.