Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

No seat is safe: Tory by-election defences – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,301
    ohnotnow said:

ydoethur said:

EPG said:

It's not just Rees-Mogg or old-fashioned bosses - practically all the major multinational companies are moving toward requiring more onsite time. Identifying the reasons why may be more enlightening than fretting about council staff. Maybe all of them know less about labour productivity than PB comments, but doubt it.

Or alternatively, all of their managers are nervous about being seen to be no use.
    I had a conversation with someone 'on high' this week was very much of the 'on site' persuasion. Quite an extrovert and had the total conviction that people in an office all 'bounced ideas off each other', draw amazing plans on whiteboards, 'generated energy' etc.

I was really curious as to whether that was their *actual* experience, or whether it was just a perception as an extrovert that an hour spent with people babbling over each other's conversations amounted to the same thing.

The last meeting I was at where people used a whiteboard - I let them dribble away for over an hour drawing flowcharts until they were sated - then pointed out that there was no way to 'escape' the loop from the first part of the flowchart, so the remaining 90% was entirely redundant.

Made myself very popular. Again.
    Pity you didn't point it out in the first five minutes, instead of sneering at your dribbling colleagues.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,386
    Leon said:

WHY is the catching law so obscurantist?

It should be, first, if the ball touches the grass or ground, within ten seconds of the catcher's fingers first making contact: Not Out

Everything else is detail

Surely the very essence of a catch is that you prevent the ball from touching the ground. Starc didn't prevent it from touching the ground for the very simple reason that it did touch the ground. I can't see what there is to argue about.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,813
    edited July 2023

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds like it should have been out to me. Players throw the ball up in the air all the time before they've finished moving, and the ball usually hits the ground rather than being caught by someone else.

The law does not say you stop moving, it says 'has complete control' over your movement. If you catch, land on your feet whilst moving, and throw the ball in the air immediately then you did have control, however immediately you threw the ball.

This seems a clear case of people just not knowing what the law says, and getting angry it does not say what they think it says. It doesn't seem that controversial to me, as for example we see all the time people catching a ball clearly, hitting the ground, and the ball popping out without it counting as a catch - because they did not have control.

Glemm McGrath can moan all he likes, but you can't just rub the ball on the ground after you catch - the moment is not dead.

Just watched it. Even without the law, you'd have to do some serious mental contortions to say that should be classed as catch - the balls being scraped along the ground for an eternity.
    Just seen it myself. It's clearly not a catch, not even marginal.

It's very closely analagous to the situation where a fielder makes a diving catch and the ball pops out of his hands when he hits the ground. The ball might be under control but the body isn't. It's the same here. He's used the ball, which is plainly grounded, to stabilise himself as he falls.

Recant, Mr McGrath!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,091
    Elena Kagan Has Had Enough

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/01/opinion/elena-kagan-dissent-supreme-court.html
    … I don’t want to discuss Roberts’s majority opinion as much as I do Justice Elena Kagan’s dissent. Kagan wrote something unusual. She didn’t just challenge the chief justice’s reasoning, she questioned whether the court’s decision was even constitutional.

“From the first page to the last, today’s opinion departs from the demands of judicial restraint,” Kagan wrote. “At the behest of a party that has suffered no injury, the majority decides a contested public policy issue properly belonging to the politically accountable branches and the people they represent.”

She continued: “That is a major problem not just for governance, but for democracy too. Congress is of course a democratic institution; it responds, even if imperfectly, to the preferences of American voters. And agency officials, though not themselves elected, serve a President with the broadest of all political constituencies. But this Court? It is, by design, as detached as possible from the body politic. That is why the Court is supposed to stick to its business — to decide only cases and controversies, and to stay away from making this Nation’s policy about subjects like student-loan relief.”

The court, Kagan concluded, “exercises authority it does not have. It violates the Constitution.”

It’s a remarkable statement. To say that the Supreme Court can violate the Constitution is to reject the idea that the court is somehow outside the constitutional system. It is to remind the public that the court is as bound by the Constitution as the other branches, which is to say that it is subject to the same “checks and balances” as the legislature and the executive.

Kagan’s dissent, in other words, is a call for accountability. For Congress, especially, to exercise its authority to discipline the court when it oversteps its bounds...
  • Options
    EPG said:

ohnotnow said:

ydoethur said:

EPG said:

It's not just Rees-Mogg or old-fashioned bosses - practically all the major multinational companies are moving toward requiring more onsite time. Identifying the reasons why may be more enlightening than fretting about council staff. Maybe all of them know less about labour productivity than PB comments, but doubt it.

Or alternatively, all of their managers are nervous about being seen to be no use.
    I had a conversation with someone 'on high' this week was very much of the 'on site' persuasion. Quite an extrovert and had the total conviction that people in an office all 'bounced ideas off each other', draw amazing plans on whiteboards, 'generated energy' etc.

I was really curious as to whether that was their *actual* experience, or whether it was just a perception as an extrovert that an hour spent with people babbling over each other's conversations amounted to the same thing.

The last meeting I was at where people used a whiteboard - I let them dribble away for over an hour drawing flowcharts until they were sated - then pointed out that there was no way to 'escape' the loop from the first part of the flowchart, so the remaining 90% was entirely redundant.

Pity you didn't point it out in the first five minutes, instead of sneering at your dribbling colleagues.
    No, I think they’ll better remember the lesson that way.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,044
    edited July 2023

Leon said:

It should be, first, if the ball touches the grass or ground, within ten seconds of the catcher's fingers first making contact: Not Out

Surely the very essence of a catch is that you prevent the ball from touching the ground. Starc didn't prevent it from touching the ground for the very simple reason that it did touch the ground. I can't see what there is to argue about.
    Absolutely. It's absurd. It's like claiming you can score a goal without the ball actually crossing the goal line

It's a fecking nonsense. Change the law: simplify it
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,014

Foss said:

If they keep those limits in the longer term it’s going to have a massive effect on both general campaigning and the sudden spread of outrage-of-the-minute topics.

I think of reactivating my MySpace account.
    Bring back friendsreunited !!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,047
    Foss said:

@BBCNews tweets about 80 times a day. I wonder how many people will be willing to expend that much of their allowance on them?

To follow Matt (cartoonist) on Twitter uses one a day. Does Twitter have other uses?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,897
    My mother was always, in retrospect, very strict about this. If the ball touched the floor, not out.
    She had no time at all for cricketers hurling the ball in celebration and if the ball then hit the ground as a result, not out.
    Considering I was an only child, and the standard of cricket played was never more serious than beach cricket, her attitude to this was, in retrospect, uncharacteristically hard line.
    Anyway, she definitely wouldn't have given Duckett out.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,047

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds like it should have been out to me. Players throw the ball up in the air all the time before they've finished moving, and the ball usually hits the ground rather than being caught by someone else.

The law does not say you stop moving, it says 'has complete control' over your movement. If you catch, land on your feet whilst moving, and throw the ball in the air immediately then you did have control, however immediately you threw the ball.

This seems a clear case of people just not knowing what the law says, and getting angry it does not say what they think it says. It doesn't seem that controversial to me, as for example we see all the time people catching a ball clearly, hitting the ground, and the ball popping out without it counting as a catch - because they did not have control.

Glemm McGrath can moan all he likes, but you can't just rub the ball on the ground after you catch - the moment is not dead.

Just watched it. Even without the law, you'd have to do some serious mental contortions to say that should be classed as catch - the balls being scraped along the ground for an eternity.

It's very closely analagous to the situation where a fielder makes a diving catch and the ball pops out of his hands when he hits the ground. The ball might be under control but the body isn't. It's the same here. He's used the ball, which is plainly grounded, to stabilise himself as he falls.

Recant, Mr McGrath!
    The catcher generally knows perfectly well if he has made a good catch. Just as the batsman knows if he has snicked. Time for some sportsmanship.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,273
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Absolutely. It's absurd. It's like claiming you can score a goal without the ball actually crossing the goal line

Didn't the 1966 World Cup Final feature a goal that later VAR technology suggested was a false goal?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,525
    I've never used Twitter.
  • Options
    Latest suggestion is the Musk, following Mel Brook’s idea, has sold 500% of Twitter, and is now intentionally trying to bankrupt it before he has to deliver on the deal.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I've never used Twitter.

Too late now.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

The law does not say you stop moving, it says 'has complete control' over your movement. If you catch, land on your feet whilst moving, and throw the ball in the air immediately then you did have control, however immediately you threSteviw the ball.

Recant, Mr McGrath!
    The catcher generally knows perfectly well if he has made a good catch. Just as the batsman knows if he has snicked. Time for some sportsmanship.
    Steve Smith's recent "sort of" catch was more justifiable than this one. And Smith's was very iffy

The ball isn't just *grounded* in Starc's catch, he ploughs it through the turf. What more does he have to do for it to be a non-catch? Entomb it with recondite ceremonies? Bounce if off his chest so it goes three miles down a tin mine?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Recant, Mr McGrath!
    You have to think Starc didn't know or properly understand the law, because he could easily have put the matter beyond doubt by rolling over and keeping the ball off the ground.

I don't think it was poor sportsmanship, just simply a player not fully knowing the laws of the game. That's common in most sports.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

Twitter is a menace, of course, but also provides (provided?) the only way to access communities of expertise.

If it dies, a lot of value goes with it.

Something will appear and take its place - the problem is none of the options are there yet mastodon is user unfriendly while Bluesky is slowly ramping up...
    I don’t know if this is amusing or disturbing, but Meta is developing a Twitter competitor service.
    There's always Truth Social (I'll get my coat)
  • Options

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Recant, Mr McGrath!
    You have to think Starc didn't know or properly understand the law, because he could easily have put the matter beyond doubt by rolling over and keeping the ball off the ground.

I don't think it was poor sportsmanship, just simply a player not fully knowing the laws of the game. That's common in most sports.
    You're too generous. Looking at Starc's quietly smirking countenance, I reckon this was simple cheating

Or "gamesmanship" if you want to be ultra-polite
  • Options
    edited July 2023
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,203
    Leon said:

The law deliberately doesn't include a time limit because it's possible to juggle a ball for a long time without having control over it. Instead it's about having full control over the further disposal of it.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,128

Possible by-election coming up in Tamworth.

Right Hon Chris Pincher? (of that Ilk!)
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Just on twitter, because I never really thought about it before. Are there any stats on how many tweets are sent per day (on average)?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

The law deliberately doesn't include a time limit because it's possible to juggle a ball for a long time without having control over it. Instead it's about having full control over the further disposal of it.
    Well if you can't control it, and avoid it hitting the ground, within ten seconds: Not Out

Fairly simple

The essence of a catch is keeping it off the ground, everything else is trivial. My simple law would allow you to toss it to someone else. It's just not allowed to hit the ground, within ten seconds of initial contact
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,563
    Taz said:

Foss said:

If they keep those limits in the longer term it’s going to have a massive effect on both general campaigning and the sudden spread of outrage-of-the-minute topics.

Bugger that, bring back newsgroups!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,931
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Didn't the 1966 World Cup Final feature a goal that later VAR technology suggested was a false goal?
    That was using VAR cameras that can peer back through time, presumably?
  • Options

Just on twitter, because I never really thought about it before. Are there any stats on how many tweets are sent per day (on average)?

If google is correct, 500 million per day https://thesocialshepherd.com/blog/twitter-statistics
  • Options
    Taz said:

Foss said:

FriendsReReunited, shirley?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,635
    I've been out for much of today.

Has out friendly pet troll been about yet, or has he been sacked?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

If google is correct, 500 million per day https://thesocialshepherd.com/blog/twitter-statistics
    Ah, interesting, thanks!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That was using VAR cameras that can peer back through time, presumably?
    Using the original footage of the match and putting an early version of the tech on it.

Yes, I think it would have been as reliable as a Dominic Cummings blogpost too.
  • Options

RobD said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    9m
    Please make sure to use your daily ration of tweets on Visegrad24 tweets!

You can only read a certain number of tweets per day? Wow.
    Twitter has applied a temporary limit to the number of tweets users can read in a day, owner Elon Musk has said.

In a tweet, Mr Musk said unverified accounts can read up to 600 posts a day.

Verified accounts are limited to reading 6,000 posts a day, while newly unverified accounts can only see 300 posts per day, he added.

Mr Musk said the temporary limits were to address "extreme levels" of data scraping and system manipulation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66077195
    I would struggle to read 60 a day, let alone 600.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Twitter is a menace, of course, but also provides (provided?) the only way to access communities of expertise.

If it dies, a lot of value goes with it.

Really? Tried Reddit?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Latest suggestion is the Musk, following Mel Brook’s idea, has sold 500% of Twitter, and is now intentionally trying to bankrupt it before he has to deliver on the deal.

"Springtime for Muskie and BocaChica..."
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,796
    geoffw said:

Anyone know how to watch Wimbledon abroad in Europe?

On TV? Tennis is quite a popular sport on the continent I understand, and I’m told that Wimbledon is one of the premier tournaments, so there may be enough interest for the local telly to show it. Just a hunch.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

viewcode said:

Ah, interesting, thanks!
    You're welcome :)
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703

SocialBlade has trends on a per account basis (at least for the bigger accounts).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,157
    EPG said:

ohnotnow said:

ydoethur said:

EPG said:

Somebody invites me to a one hour meeting I want it to last an hour so I can charge an hour to their project.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,016
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    9m
    Please make sure to use your daily ration of tweets on Visegrad24 tweets!

You can only read a certain number of tweets per day? Wow.
    Twitter has applied a temporary limit to the number of tweets users can read in a day, owner Elon Musk has said.

In a tweet, Mr Musk said unverified accounts can read up to 600 posts a day.

Verified accounts are limited to reading 6,000 posts a day, while newly unverified accounts can only see 300 posts per day, he added.

Mr Musk said the temporary limits were to address "extreme levels" of data scraping and system manipulation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66077195
    I would struggle to read 60 a day, let alone 600.
    The problem is that scrolling and reading are the same thing as far as Twitter is concerned.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,897
    Leon said:
    For the benefit of those of us outside of the twittersphere and no longer allowed to look in, what's going on?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:
    For the benefit of those of us outside of the twittersphere and no longer allowed to look in, what's going on?
    I'm afraid from now on you will have to pay me, for direct Twitter relay

£3 per tweet. Them's the breaks. Blame Elon
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,249
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Well if you can't control it, and avoid it hitting the ground, within ten seconds: Not Out

Fairly simple

The essence of a catch is keeping it off the ground, everything else is trivial. My simple law would allow you to toss it to someone else. It's just not allowed to hit the ground, within ten seconds of initial contact
    Any Aussies on here? If so, can you please advise whether all your countrymen are cheating convict bastards or just the ones you send over here to play cricket?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,296

DougSeal said:

geoffw said:

Anyone know how to watch Wimbledon abroad in Europe?

On TV? Tennis is quite a popular sport on the continent I understand, and I’m told that Wimbledon is one of the premier tournaments, so there may be enough interest for the local telly to show it. Just a hunch.
    It's Finnish TV and they have never shown Wimbledon in my experience. I'm following up LostPassword's suggestion.

• Options

EPG said:

ohnotnow said:

ydoethur said:

EPG said:

Somebody invites me to a one hour meeting I want it to last an hour so I can charge an hour to their project.
    I'd be surprised if they couldn't find some other useless nonsense to talk about, if I'm honest.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Has anyone on here ever read a tweet worth £3?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Cookie said:

Leon said:
    I predict, a riot.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,988
    Cookie said:

Leon said:
    Nothing. Leon actually has quite a poor quality:shite content-of-tweet ratio. Uncharacteristic, since he is good at ferreting out news in general.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

That one with the beat up Ford and Keith Vaz paying good money for 22 year old escorts was probably worth a five for lols.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

500 million a day, statistically there must be one or two worth that.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Yes. The guy who used to do the Bang & Olufson tweet jokes. They were genuinely hilarious, and could sometimes make me laugh out loud for 30 seconds or so

That's worth £3 for anyone
  • Options
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Recant, Mr McGrath!

You're too generous. Looking at Starc's quietly smirking countenance, I reckon this was simple cheating

Or "gamesmanship" if you want to be ultra-polite
    Well, as you are going to the game tomorrow perhaps you can take the opportunity to tell Mr Starc that personally.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,234

I've been out for much of today.

Has out friendly pet troll been about yet, or has he been sacked?

Good question. I have not been around today either. Did we get any Moscow Tourists today? If so, what quality were they?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,403
    I still think we can win tomorrow 😈
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,140
    edited July 2023
    I'll avoid embedding tweets and just requote here...

Martin Lewis:

Quick note. I just saw BBC quoting new "typical use" price cap projections from October that seem quite a bit lower. Yet much of the reduction is because Ofgem has redefined typical use from then, as lower than it is now, rather than an actual reduction in what people pay.

Seriously. What on earth is OFGEM playing at redefining 'typical usage' at this point in time.
  • Options

I don't know what 'tomorrow' is or how we can win it.

I'm just sad we're going to lose the cricket through carelessness.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,940
    Nigelb said:

Elena Kagan Has Had Enough

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/01/opinion/elena-kagan-dissent-supreme-court.html
    … I don’t want to discuss Roberts’s majority opinion as much as I do Justice Elena Kagan’s dissent. Kagan wrote something unusual. She didn’t just challenge the chief justice’s reasoning, she questioned whether the court’s decision was even constitutional.

“From the first page to the last, today’s opinion departs from the demands of judicial restraint,” Kagan wrote. “At the behest of a party that has suffered no injury, the majority decides a contested public policy issue properly belonging to the politically accountable branches and the people they represent.”

She continued: “That is a major problem not just for governance, but for democracy too. Congress is of course a democratic institution; it responds, even if imperfectly, to the preferences of American voters. And agency officials, though not themselves elected, serve a President with the broadest of all political constituencies. But this Court? It is, by design, as detached as possible from the body politic. That is why the Court is supposed to stick to its business — to decide only cases and controversies, and to stay away from making this Nation’s policy about subjects like student-loan relief.”

The court, Kagan concluded, “exercises authority it does not have. It violates the Constitution.”

It’s a remarkable statement. To say that the Supreme Court can violate the Constitution is to reject the idea that the court is somehow outside the constitutional system. It is to remind the public that the court is as bound by the Constitution as the other branches, which is to say that it is subject to the same “checks and balances” as the legislature and the executive.

Kagan’s dissent, in other words, is a call for accountability. For Congress, especially, to exercise its authority to discipline the court when it oversteps its bounds...

This is getting worse than the SC in the FDR new deal era. Something is going to have to be done.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Martin Lewis:

Quick note. I just saw BBC quoting new "typical use" price cap projections from October that seem quite a bit lower. Yet much of the reduction is because Ofgem has redefined typical use from then, as lower than it is now, rather than an actual reduction in what people pay.

Seriously. What on earth is OFGEM playing at redefining 'typical usage'.

The whole price cap reporting is shambolic. I want to know what the cap is per unit and on the standing charge, so I can work out my own bill. All else is a nonsense.

In fairness, though, I gather it isn't arranged that way by Ofgem.
  • Options

Indeed. It belongs to me, apparently.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,403
    ydoethur said:

Better fielding in AUS first innings and batting in our first innings would have reduced the target by 100 but we can still hope 👍
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,966
    edited July 2023
    Leading Tories call for a referendum on the UK's membership of the ECHR to be in the party's next manifesto
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/tories-new-uk-referendum-migrants-rwanda-plan-appeal-court-2447225
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Better fielding in AUS first innings and batting in our first innings would have reduced the target by 100 but we can still hope 👍
    Better batting in our first innings would have reduced the target by a lot more than 100.

And with honourable exceptions the fielding has been very ordinary.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leading Tories call for a referendum on the UK's membership of the ECHR to be in the party's next manifesto

All sane people call for those 'leading Tories' not to be standing for the party at the next election.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,140
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Martin Lewis:

The whole price cap reporting is shambolic. I want to know what the cap is per unit and on the standing charge, so I can work out my own bill. All else is a nonsense.
    Though

Scharge(Gas + elec) + (Units of gas***)*Unit price gas + Units*Unit price Electricity is a bit complicated to get over on a tweet or headline or some such.

Units of gas*** - This is actually weirdly complicated for large business accounts as the calorific conversion is seemingly random from day to day, the variance it causes in domestic bills would be small though. But when you read your gas and if you have a smartmeter could well affect your bill by a few pence.

A "typical use" is a useful shorthand. But it's a total nonsense to adjust the typical usage from one year to the next. Or well if it needs to be done - which it probably does over long timescales then it should be reset every 5 years say NOT slap bang in the middle of a period of high inflation and changing gas/elec prices.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,386

It would be great if we did - if only for the hilarity of listening to Aussies moan about Mitchell Starc's wrongly overturned catch for ever.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/tories-new-uk-referendum-migrants-rwanda-plan-appeal-court-2447225

Ah!
    A referendum.
    That's just what we need.
  • Options
    The very best of Twitter lives in your mind forever

It has an uncanny genius. The character limit is crucial. It's like a poetic formula, like the 14 line ABAB template of a sonnet. It forces you to work within severe constraints, and that discipline makes for hilarious exchanges, when it works

It also allows for a lot of tedious, staccato insults and slurs, but hey. No roses sans thorns etc
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,016
    HYUFD said:

Why not hold it on the same day as the next election? There’s a good chance you’d end up giving the implementation of it to Starmer.
  • Options
    I hope this isn't true.

"HSBC departure spells doom for isolated experiment of Canary Wharf
    A moated, gated, privatised space divided from the rest of London may have had its day
    EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

https://www.ft.com/content/40ff10b9-6e8e-4df6-8753-0e3af571b794
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Better batting in our first innings would have reduced the target by a lot more than 100.

And with honourable exceptions the fielding has been very ordinary.
    The 6 knocked back over the boundary against Stark was a truly extraordinary piece of fielding.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Why not hold it on the same day as the next election? There’s a good chance you’d end up giving the implementation of it to Starmer.
    As the main aim would be to drive Tory turnout to vote Tory to get the referendum I suspect
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

A moated, gated, privatised space divided from the rest of London may have had its day
    EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

"...The floor plates of those bank towers are too deep for conversion to residential and it remains isolated..."

Why would that be an issue? Too shallow, I could understand.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Hope not, it was a key part of revitalising the old Docklands
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

That one with the beat up Ford and Keith Vaz paying good money for 22 year old escorts was probably worth a five for lols.
    Also this immortal tweet exchange from and about Gerry Adams:

Gerry Adams
    @GerryAdamsSF

Dec 22, 2016
    This house is like Santa's Grotto. Takes half an hour 2 switch off fairy lights and assorted Yule illuminations. Feel like a grinch now.

Paul Mcleod
    @paul_mcleod
    surely you know someone who can fit a timer
    Accepted! If anyone can send me Elon Musk’s bank details, I’ll forward him £3.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Remainery pessimistic FT bollocks. Crucially, Canary Wharf has incredible transport connections, now: it has the Tube AND the DLR AND now the Liz Line (offering a cheap direct 45 minute trip to LHR central). It has City Airport on its doorstep, and the Thames. It has 100,000 workers, and multiple hotels, restaurants, bars, the works

Has it been shaken by Covid? Yes. But much less than, say, many downtowns in America

If Canary Wharf is "doomed" then you might as well say London itself is "doomed". Some banks may move out due to WFH but at a certain price point moving back into Canary Wharf (with its amazing views, transport, the like) will become desirable for, say, tech companies or media or whatever

Pure clickbait. Ignore
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Martin Lewis:

Though

Scharge(Gas + elec) + (Units of gas***)*Unit price gas + Units*Unit price Electricity is a bit complicated to get over on a tweet or headline or some such.

Units of gas*** - This is actually weirdly complicated for large business accounts as the calorific conversion is seemingly random from day to day, the variance it causes in domestic bills would be small though. But when you read your gas and if you have a smartmeter could well affect your bill by a few pence.

A "typical use" is a useful shorthand. But it's a total nonsense to adjust the typical usage from one year to the next. Or well if it needs to be done - which it probably does over long timescales then it should be reset every 5 years say NOT slap bang in the middle of a period of high inflation and changing gas/elec prices.
    What's wrong with pence per kWh?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Remainery pessimistic FT bollocks. Crucially, Canary Wharf has incredible transport connections, now: it has the Tube AND the DLR AND now the Liz Line (offering a cheap direct 45 minute trip to LHR central). It has City Airport on its doorstep, and the Thames. It has 100,000 workers, and multiple hotels, restaurants, bars, the works

Has it been shaken by Covid? Yes. But much less than, say, many downtowns in America

If Canary Wharf is "doomed" then you might as well say London itself is "doomed". Some banks may move out due to WFH but at a certain price point moving back into Canary Wharf (with its amazing views, transport, the like) will become desirable for, say, tech companies or media or whatever

Pure clickbait. Ignore
    Unfortunately, like the rest of the UK, it’s no longer part of Europe. Another brexit dividend.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,193

HYUFD said:

Labour just put in their manifesto they won't leave the EHRC regardless.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    O/T

I can't find the highlights for today's play at Lords on the BBC iPlayer. They said it would be available at 7pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/m000kqyz
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,195
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

All sane people call for those 'leading Tories' not to be standing for the party at the next election.
    Worth noting that the i itself (I get it for the puzzles) cites Jonathan Gullis and Boris Johnson.

Which is an interesting definition of "leading".
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

I can't find the highlights for today's play at Lords on the BBC iPlayer. They said it would be available at 7pm.

Yeah that's curious - we had them set up to record but when I checked they've not been recorded.

Edit: Just checked, the ashes highlights are being broadcast at 23:50 on BBC2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/guide/bbctwo/20230701

I suspect they are later than usual because of the Women's T20, which was live on BBC this evening.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Pure clickbait. Ignore
    Unfortunately, like the rest of the UK, it’s no longer part of Europe. Another brexit dividend.
    I was unaware that Brexit had physically moved us into the western Hemisphere and made us part of the Americas

There is actually a good article about this pernicious, mastubatory, Remainery pessimism in, yes, the FT

"Britain must break out of its doom loop
    Brexit, Covid and terrible governments have left their scars but our national despondency is becoming a trap"

https://www.ft.com/content/aa3bb4ab-d0e4-4af3-9730-b99373e57d37

Yes, Britain has its probems. Yes, Brexit hasn't helped in many cases. But is Britain actually spiralling into terminal decay? Get a grip. Until a few days ago you might have pointed at France, and said, Look, they are doing much better

Today? - that sounds ridiculous. Ditto everywhere else

All countries are facing headwinds. We can cope with ours. We are over-thinking ourselves into self-destructive despair. As the writer says in that piece, it takes an American to finally snap "FFS, I live in London, it's still one of the greatest cities in the world, stop whining"

The idea Canary Wharf (and London) is doomed and is going to become some sort of ghost town is as absurd as the most facile Leaver optimism in early 2016
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Yeah that's curious - we had them set up to record but when I checked they've not been recorded.
    Glad it's not just me.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Glad it's not just me.
    They're on at 23:50.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,869
    edited July 2023
    HYUFD said:

The only "leading Tories" (sic) mentioned in the article is Jonathan Gullis, the MP for Stoke North. It's fair to say that not even you could regard Mr Gullis as a leading thinker, even in the current iteration of the Tory Party. He makes Lee Anderson look thoughtful. To put it as politely as I can, Gullis is as thick as pigshit and unpleasant to boot.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Pure clickbait. Ignore
    I was unaware the Brexit had physically moved us into the western Hemisphere and made us part of the Americas

There is actually a good article about this pernicious, mastubatory, Remainery pessimism in, yes, the FT

Brexit, Covid and terrible governments have left their scars but our national despondency is becoming a trap"

Yes, Britain has its probems. Yes, Brexit hasn't helped in many cases. But is Britain actually spiralling into terminal decay? Get a grip. Until a few days ago you might have pointed at France, and said, Look, they are doing much better?

All countries are facing headwinds. We can cope with ours. We are over-thinking ourselves into self-destructive despair. As the writer says in that piece, it takes an American to finally snap "FFS, I live in London, it's still one of the greatest cities in the world, stop whining"

The idea Canary Wharf (and London) is doomed and is going to become some sort of ghost town is as absurd as the most facile Leaver optimism in early 2016
    Your nasty racist Brexit project has failed. Suck it up, loser.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,943
    HYUFD said:

Simply idiotic core vote nonsense which hopefully Sunak will resist

The self awareness of these people is bizarre, not least as a referendum would show them for what they are and gain little support
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Well, the test match is as finely balanced as this boat thingy:

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,652
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Pure clickbait. Ignore
    I was unaware that Brexit had physically moved us into the western Hemisphere and made us part of the Americas

Yes, Britain has its probems. Yes, Brexit hasn't helped in many cases. But is Britain actually spiralling into terminal decay? Get a grip. Until a few days ago you might have pointed at France, and said, Look, they are doing much better

Canary Wharf might actually be doomed, though. It is the nearest thing to the deserted Central Business Districts that you wandered around in the US.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Pure clickbait. Ignore

As a pedant, it is my duty to point out that the vast majority of the UK always was in the Western Hemisphere.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,195

HYUFD said:

The only "leading Tories" (sic) mentioned in the article is Jonathan Gullis, the MP for Stoke North. It's fair to say that not even you could regard Mr Gullis as a leading thinker, even in the current iteration of the Tory Party. He makes Lee Anderson look thoughtful. To put it as politely as I can, Gullis is as thick as pigshit and unpleasant to boot.
    Hate to say it, but what is it with teachers who become Conservative MPs? Not just Gullis, but Lia Nici as well. (And not an MP, but just as politically prominent, Fr Calvin Robinson as well.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Simply idiotic core vote nonsense which hopefully Sunak will resist

The self awareness of these people is bizarre, not least as a referendum would show them for what they are and gain little support
    Such a referendum would cause a fundamental split in the Tory party between the remaining traditional Tories and the Kippers that seem to have infiltrated their membership.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,296
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Pure clickbait. Ignore

As a pedant, it is my duty to point out that the vast majority of the UK always was in the Western Hemisphere.
    Where does the Western Hemisphere begin?

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Glad it's not just me.
    They're on at 23:50.
    Thanks. But why did TMS spend the whole day saying they'd be available at 7pm? Bit of a mystery.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Pure clickbait. Ignore

Green witch
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,865
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Pure clickbait. Ignore

The transit circle at Greenwich.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/airys-transit-circle-dawn-universal-day
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,829
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Pure clickbait. Ignore
    Not really - Leeds is a brilliant example of where over the past 30 years the centre of the town has moved backwards and forwards as a newer shopping centre shifts the centre of the city from one side of town to the other and then back again.

Canary Wharf is now full of buildings about to need refurbishing so I suspect we will see 10-15 years of firms moving back to the City (northern parts near the Metropolitan / Elizabeth lines) before Canary Wharf returns to be of interest...
  • Options
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope this isn't true.

EDWIN HEATHCOTE"

Pure clickbait. Ignore

Right next to where the Eastern one finishes?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,997

Well, the test match is as finely balanced as this boat thingy:

"I'm sorry I didn't build you a stronger Test Side, young Rose."
This discussion has been closed.