Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The LAB lead continues to stay in double figures – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    Leon said:

Fpt for @Gardenwalker and @rcs1000

“ @ Leon claims he is going to a variety of areas but as far as I can tell he is doing the US equivalent of travelling from Bradford to Hull”

You seem to have forgotten I spent four days on the east coast including 3 in the nation’s capital, which is literally the richest place in the USA

Moreover, I have in the last two years been to Florida California Arizona Utah Colorado Mississippi Louisiana Alabama Tennessee and New York. I suspect I have seen more of America than you guys who live there. Which makes sense. I come here to travel and experience America, you live and work here with families and when you want an American holiday you go to an obviously nice affluent bit - like upscale New England

I stand by my judgment. Parts of the east coast are doing just fine. Flourishing and opulent. As I’ve said before Alexandria VA was the nicest of all the towns I visited. It could have been a quietly ritzy town in Austria or Australia. DC was boring (museums apart) but still clearly wealthy

But go inland to the more neglected bits and it is very different. And even some of the richer cities - Denver is a prime example - have desolate downtowns. Destroyed by covid and now predated by drugs and druggies

I will admit to being surprised by Denver.
    But otherwise, I kind of feel you are majoring on poorer areas. And the US is so big that its poorer areas are commensurately bigger.

Of course the US is quite terrifyingly unequal, but I feel you are missing the massive tracts of suburban housing, where people live quite happily in 3000 sq ft houses and two or three cars.

Which makes sense, because why would any tourist go to Picket Fence, New York or it’s equivalents?
  • LandsendLandsend Posts: 38

Lockdowns will come to be seen as the biggest blunder in British political history, only second to austerity.

Didnt you support lockdowns as did most of pb.

Leon said:

“ @ Leon claims he is going to a variety of areas but as far as I can tell he is doing the US equivalent of travelling from Bradford to Hull”

You seem to have forgotten I spent four days on the east coast including 3 in the nation’s capital, which is literally the richest place in the USA

Moreover, I have in the last two years been to Florida California Arizona Utah Colorado Mississippi Louisiana Alabama Tennessee and New York. I suspect I have seen more of America than you guys who live there. Which makes sense. I come here to travel and experience America, you live and work here with families and when you want an American holiday you go to an obviously nice affluent bit - like upscale New England

I stand by my judgment. Parts of the east coast are doing just fine. Flourishing and opulent. As I’ve said before Alexandria VA was the nicest of all the towns I visited. It could have been a quietly ritzy town in Austria or Australia. DC was boring (museums apart) but still clearly wealthy

But go inland to the more neglected bits and it is very different. And even some of the richer cities - Denver is a prime example - have desolate downtowns. Destroyed by covid and now predated by drugs and druggies

But otherwise, I kind of feel you are majoring on poorer areas. And the US is so big that its poorer areas are commensurately bigger.

Of course the US is quite terrifyingly unequal, but I feel you are missing the massive tracts of suburban housing, where people live quite happily in 3000 sq ft houses and two or three cars.

Which makes sense, because why would any tourist go to Picket Fence, New York or it’s equivalents?
    Well the us standard of living is quite a bit higher than the uk.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Landsend said:

Lockdowns will come to be seen as the biggest blunder in British political history, only second to austerity.

Is pineapple on pizza a warcrime?

A plane crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border. In which country do you bury the survivors?

Which is more legendary? Nick Palmer’s social life or @TSE’s modesty?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    Landsend said:

In the later years of the internet we have become used to trolls who have a clear agenda, partisan position. However, back in the early days of the internet, the archetypal troll simply wanted to provoke others to gain attention.

It's rare these days to spot such pure example of the ancestral breed of troll.
  • SteveSSteveS Posts: 153

DavidL said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Does anybody really believe that Labour are on 48%? I don't.

The Tories had a bad week thanks to Boris, yet again. Hopefully the worst of that is finally over. So far we have had a police report, the Sue Gray report and the Privileges committee report all saying the same things in numbing detail. It's getting beyond dull. But maybe someone else should investigate so we can pretend to be outraged all over again.

Only an extreme Tory devotee would be generous enough to pen that.

Most voters I suspect would hang the lot of them without a second thought. Even twice if that's what it took!
    As I have said in another post I expect Labour to get a small majority. But this confected outrage about Boris is getting wearying. Everyone knew he was a liar. Repeatedly confirming it is pointless.
    The handshake seals the contract
    From the contract there's no turning back
    The turning point of a career
    In Korea being insincere
    The holiday was fun packed
    The contract still intact

The grabbing hands grab all they can
    All for themselves after all
    It's a competitive world
    Everything counts in large amounts

The graph on the wall
    Tells the story of it all
    Picture it now, see just how
    The lies and deceit gained a little more power
    Confidence taken in
    By a sun tan and a grin

It's a competitive world

But you’ve got to work hard, if you want anything at all.

Steve

Landsend said:

A plane crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border. In which country do you bury the survivors?

So you are admitting most on pb supported lockdowns which correcthorsebattery says was a massive policy mistake. Ok
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    I see no 10 is throwing out some meat for the angry mob to feed on . The latest in the “ immigrants are taking your jobs , housing , healthcare “ apparently if it wasn’t for those horrible migrants then there would be plentiful council houses for Brits.

Of course this is just deflecting from the fact that there’s a huge shortfall in housing , instead of trying to fix the problem the Tories gave up long ago and have gone to their default peddle hate and division .

We can see the outlines of the next GE campaign ,it’s going to be a disgusting hate filled campaign by the Tories pitting different groups against each other .

This shower really need to be shown the door before they rip the soul out of the UK .
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    edited June 2023

Rishi will skip the vote tomorrow, according to the Times. Not fit to govern.

This 'nothing to see here it's all old hat' as expressed by David and others is really quite extraordinary. The point is that we haven't seen it all before. To most of us this is behaviour from a government and a Prime Minister that is unique.

In fact if it wasn't for fatigue we'd be making a much bigger fuss. A lot of people will be asking themselves if we really want this 'born to rule' mob ruling us ever again.

Someone mentioned Sunak's achievement in marrying a billionaires daughter. There's something very rotten afoot which it's taking people a while to compute. Let's hope a simple change of government will be enough
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

Leon said:

I'm really not majoring on poorer areas., FFS. Look at the list. I've been to some of the richest states in the Union: Colorado, New York, California, Utah, Maryland, DC. I generally go where I am sent by the Gazette, apart from this roadtrip, where I chose to see parts of America I have not seen (not because they are poor, but because I've never had the chance)

And I understand that America has lovely green suburbs with big houses. I see them

But if you want to understand why half of America is voting for Trump then perhaps my honest experiences of the poorer parts of the USA have some value

I have also had a hoot. Americans are so friendly. It's a great place to tour, even if it is in imperial decline

Roger said:

This 'nothing to see here it's all old hat' as expressed by David and others is really quite extraordinary. The point is that we haven't seen it all before. To most of us this is behaviour from a government and a Prime Minister that is unique.

In fact if it wasn't for fatigue we'd be making a much bigger fuss. A lot of people will be asking themselves if we really want this 'born to rule' mob ruling us ever again.

Someone mentioned Sunak's achievement in marrying a billionaires daughter. There's something very rotten afoot and it's taking people a while to compute it. Let's hope a simple change of government will be enough
    The point is if you as a govt move from one outrahe to another the public eventually become demoralised and apathetic. Thats the goal.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    For the first time in many years I have builders chasing up me to do work. Managed to get work arranged in a few days on one project (a very good builder, albeit at a premium) and on another, roofers are calling up asking for updates on the quotes they submitted. This is in affluent areas of England. Not seen this for a decade, for all this time it has been impossible to find builders. I hope that I am wrong but my instincts are telling me that this is a sign that we are at the start of a serious recession.
    Landsend said:

Landsend said:

So you are admitting most on pb supported lockdowns which correcthorsebattery says was a massive policy mistake. Ok
    By avoiding the questions you are proving yourself to be part of the Thing from Who Goes There?

So, to save PB we will be forced to cremate you. Sorry, but thems the breaks for shape shifting aliens.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm really not majoring on poorer areas., FFS. Look at the list. I've been to some of the richest states in the Union: Colorado, New York, California, Utah, Maryland, DC. I generally go where I am sent by the Gazette, apart from this roadtrip, where I chose to see parts of America I have not seen (not because they are poor, but because I've never had the chance)

And I understand that America has lovely green suburbs with big houses. I see them

But if you want to understand why half of America is voting for Trump then perhaps my honest experiences of the poorer parts of the USA have some value

I have also had a hoot. Americans are so friendly. It's a great place to tour, even if it is in imperial decline

If you’re poor and vote for Trump then you get what you deserve . How thick are these people when they vote for a party that spends most of its time trying to make their lives worse . I gave up trying to understand their so called concerns when they act like turkeys voting for Christmas .
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    Landsend said:

Roger said:

Someone mentioned Sunak's achievement in marrying a billionaires daughter. There's something very rotten afoot and it's taking people a while to compute it. Let's hope a simple change of government will be enough
    The point is if you as a govt move from one outrahe to another the public eventually become demoralised and apathetic. Thats the goal.
    I can see how that would work if a government created a situation where a strongman ruler couldn't be toppled at an election, no matter how outrageous his behaviour, or how much suffering he inflicted on his people.

Thoughts and prayers with people stuck in nations like that, especially if they have to try and justify the actions of said outrageous (so called) strongmen. After all, we're ultimately lucky in the UK. Boris has gone now, even if it's regrettable he was ever there at all.

Night all.
    darkage said:

For the first time in many years I have builders chasing up me to do work. Managed to get work arranged in a few days on one project (a very good builder, albeit at a premium) and on another, roofers are calling up asking for updates on the quotes they submitted. This is in affluent areas of England. Not seen this for a decade, for all this time it has been impossible to find builders. I hope that I am wrong but my instincts are telling me that this is a sign that we are at the start of a serious recession.

Yes when i got my car serviced a month ago they called me back afterward asking how satisfied i was and they were incredibly nice too. Im sure i havent become that much more charming in the past year.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    edited June 2023
    Curious how much the Tories have dominated politics in recent times, given how unpopular their leaders have been. Only Major (hah!) has bucked the trend.

https://twitter.com/TomHCalver/status/1670372331397562372
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Landsend said:

Are Radiohead crap or really crap ?
  • WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited June 2023
    nico679 said:

I see no 10 is throwing out some meat for the angry mob to feed on . The latest in the “ immigrants are taking your jobs , housing , healthcare “ apparently if it wasn’t for those horrible migrants then there would be plentiful council houses for Brits.

Of course this is just deflecting from the fact that there’s a huge shortfall in housing , instead of trying to fix the problem the Tories gave up long ago and have gone to their default peddle hate and division .

We can see the outlines of the next GE campaign ,it’s going to be a disgusting hate filled campaign by the Tories pitting different groups against each other .

This shower really need to be shown the door before they rip the soul out of the UK .

I'm a Bevanite in my feelings about the Tory party, but good luck to Labour if they want to run their campaign on there's a housing shortfall versus there are too many foreigners here.

Anyway there's not a housing shortage. There are ample houses in Britain for everyone to live in comfortably. The more high-end a house is, the more likely it is to be unoccupied at a given time. It would be in the interests of most people if there were a government that cracked down on both moneylenders and landlords. It's the banks that are the reason why house prices are so extraordinarily high, and it's the free rein given by the government to landlords that's the reason why rents are so high. Boot them and boot them hard. Nationalise. Raise inheritance tax on the top 10% of estates to the skies. Abolish beneficial ownership overnight. Of course Labour is not about to say anything like this. Even in their last manifesto which was better in many ways than the party's preceding manifestos, there was sh*te such as create a million "climate change" jobs and about a dozen references to transsexuals. As if people who can't afford to pay their rent and don't know whether they and their children are going to be sleeping on friends' sofas within a year want to hear about the f*cking climate changing and the needs of men who wear bras and panties and want their willies cut off and everyone to pretend they're "women".

PS You don't sound like a monarchist. Why do you call the country by the name of the monarchist regime that currently prevails here?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

EXC: Schools trans guidance revealed - with @NatashaC

- No pronoun or uniform change without parental consent

- No hiding changes from parents

- Head can say no to protect other kids

- Competitive sport protected - gender questioning pupils banned

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1670545643390091267

I'm not outing kids to their parents.
    It's a resignation issue for me.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Americans are the best outside of some areas notably the new york new jersey area.
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nope.

Biden won massively in lower-income voters. Higher income voters went to Trump.

https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/how-groups-voted-2020
    Fair enough. I can't argue with the data - that honestly surprises me in its starkness. Yet we know that Red states are poorer than Blue states, so it must be richer angry people in Red states voting Trump?

Plus the racial division. Trump won the white vote by 58-41. Quite astonishing
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nope.

Those stats are in no way definitive. it is 54 Biden 44 Trump for lower (sub $50k) income. Arguably the story there is that a large proportion of voters are voting against their economic self interest (It we accept the established wisdom that voting democrat is in their self interest).

40% of union households voting Trump - another interesting statistic.
  • CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    I am not trolling and everyone who knows me here would agree.

I supported lockdowns at the time. I was wrong, I have changed my mind. Please allow me some respect for being open about it. So many aren’t.
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nope.

Fair enough. I can't argue with the data - that honestly surprises me in its starkness. Yet we know that Red states are poorer than Blue states, so it must be richer angry people in Red states voting Trump?

Plus the racial division. Trump won the white vote by 58-41. Quite astonishing
    Of course there are a lot of democrat voting ethnic minorities in the blue states. And im sure many high earning finance types quietly vote Trump.

I supported lockdowns at the time. I was wrong, I have changed my mind. Please allow me some respect for being open about it. So many aren’t.

I respect you for that. Others arent as brave and manly as you.
    dixiedean said:

Best of luck filling my post.
    Simple as
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited June 2023
    Trump has hoovered up both affluent and low-income voters, it seems to me.

But he's also a symptom of several things, I think ; a pathologically propagandist media ecosystem, hugely centred around FoxNews but also encompassing many other outlets too now, that blames almost everything on a nebulously defined "liberal elite" rather than the right, and plutocratically prescribes ever more free-market fundamentalism as the cure, rather than the disease ; and then there's a subset of the both more affluent and liberal who are indeed too insulated from the poverty elsewhere, and often acquiesce with this free-market fundamentalism in favour much more heavily nowadays of culturally -based politics, sometimes in clearly good causes and at other times not as clearly so.
    edited June 2023

Trump has hoovered up both affluent and low-income voters, as far as I can see.

But he's also a symptom of several things, I think ; a pathologically propagandist media ecosystem, hugely centred around FoxNews but also encompassing many other outlets too now, that blames almost everything on a nebulously defined liberal elitism rather than the right, and prescribes ever more free-market fundamentalism as the cure, rather than the disease ; and then there's a subset of the both more affluent and liberal who are indeed too insulated from the poverty elsewhere, and often acquiesce with this free-market fundamentalism in favour much more heavily nowadays of culturally -based politics.

Demonisation of the "liberal" "elite", or anti-intellectualism as it manifests when viewed from a certain angle, is based on boosting the feeling of "Away with all your poncy long words", which equates to "I'm stupid and I'm proud, because what I am is REAL". Huge licence was given to that kind of attitude in the USA in 2016 and it has hardly diminished since. As the psychological state of a crowd, it's really scary because what may well happen next is a bloodbath - whoop, whoop, whoop - and not just a few hundred role-playing plonkers entering the Capitol.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    Foxy said:

Labour policy has shifted again, will now allow new oil

It really is quite hard to keep up...
    Given his record of u-turning, Starmer is unknowable as a potential Prime Minister and his word cannot be trusted.

We simply do not know what we would be getting under a Labour government.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    darkage said:

Interesting one this, because there is a counterveiling narrative: when transaction volumes fall because people can't afford to move to a larger house, they tend instead to pay for improvements or extensions to their current house.
    Farooq said:

You have certainly been trolling this evening. Fuck the Aussies? Please. If you're going to do it at least follow up with it. Don't just dip your toe in and then come out with that kind of self-pitying "please respect me" nonsense. Make up your mind.
    Yes fuck them, I’m getting into the pro-England sentiment at the Ashes. What’s your issue?

When I said I opposed lockdowns I meant it. In hindsight they were wrong.

U happy?

Foxy said:

Given his record of u-turning, Starmer is unknowable as a potential Prime Minister and his word cannot be trusted.

I agree.
    Westie said:

But he's also a symptom of several things, I think ; a pathologically propagandist media ecosystem, hugely centred around FoxNews but also encompassing many other outlets too now, that blames almost everything on a nebulously defined liberal elitism rather than the right, and prescribes ever more free-market fundamentalism as the cure, rather than the disease ; and then there's a subset of the both more affluent and liberal who are indeed too insulated from the poverty elsewhere, and often acquiesce with this free-market fundamentalism in favour much more heavily nowadays of culturally -based politics.

Demonisation of the "liberal" "elite", or anti-intellectualism as it manifests when viewed from a certain angle, is based on boosting the feeling of "Away with all your poncy long words", which equates to "I'm stupid and I'm proud, because what I am is REAL". Huge licence was given to that kind of attitude in the USA in 2016 and it has hardly diminished since. As the psychological state of a crowd, it's really scary because what may well happen next is a bloodbath - whoop, whoop, whoop - and not just a few hundred role-playing plonkers entering the Capitol.
    Many of the elites though are also stupid. Educated but stupid.

Lockdowns is an example of where the negatives are very visible in hindsight but the positives are not. We're alive, but we take that for granted.

I doubt lockdowns were a blanket mistake but probably they could have been done in a smarter way.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    edited June 2023

Nothing wrong with changing your mind. I did it on proportional representation. Now in favour.
    FF43 said:

Lockdowns is an example of where the negatives are very visible in hindsight but the positives are not. We're alive, but we take that for granted.

I doubt lockdowns were a blanket mistake but probably they could have been done in a smarter way.
    Not to sound like a selfish youngster but quite honestly what have they done for my age group beyond ruin the economy and make us have huge social and educational problems?

But he's also a symptom of several things, I think ; a pathologically propagandist media ecosystem, hugely centred around FoxNews but also encompassing many other outlets too now, that blames almost everything on a nebulously defined "liberal elite" rather than the right, and plutocratically prescribes ever more free-market fundamentalism as the cure, rather than the disease ; and then there's a subset of the both more affluent and liberal who are indeed too insulated from the poverty elsewhere, and often acquiesce with this free-market fundamentalism in favour much more heavily nowadays of culturally -based politics, sometimes in clearly good causes and at other times not as clearly so.

Tucker Carlson on twitter now insuating Barack Obama is gay too.
    Andy_JS said:

Nothing wrong with changing your mind.
    Yes there is.

I get held up because I changed my mind on Corbyn. And I get held up for changing my mind on this.

I am learning, I am allowed to develop and change my mind. But some are so utterly boring they can't or won't accept it. Enough.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    FF43 said:

Curious how much the Tories have dominated politics in recent times, given how unpopular their leaders have been. Only Major (hah!) has bucked the trend.

All together now: "all political careers end in failure"
    edited June 2023
    Have read the linked guidance from the Sun.
    Hopefully, that's just the Sun's spin on it and the official stuff will be more nuanced.
    But if that is anywhere near the policy that will be imposed, then I'll find another job. I won't be alone. My whole career has been about keeping children safe. I will not be outing them to potentially violent
    parents for Tory culture war comfort.
    Good luck filling the teacher vacancies.

FF43 said:

Not to sound like a selfish youngster but quite honestly what have they done for my age group beyond ruin the economy and make us have huge social and educational problems?
    You are not selfish. Im certain that when the baby boomers were young they would not have put up with lockdowns.

Foxy said:

He's a lawyer, which gives us a clue. He knowingly lies for a living. He's also quite ruthless

So I reckon we will get pragmatic managerialism, with a few left wing baubles to appease the troops (eg attacking private schools), and a dash of Wokery (but he will have to be really careful, this shit will annoy people)

More interesting is what he will do with intractable problems like our EU relations, and the boat people

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Andy_JS said:

Nothing wrong with changing your mind. I did it on proportional representation. Now in favour.
    But are you 100% in favour of it, or more like 60%/40%?
    dixiedean said:

Who has the legal and moral responsibility to ensure that children are educated and raised - is it the parents or is it the employees of some outfit or either that the parents hired and can decide to sack with immediate effect if they so wish? Just resign. No parent asked you to keep children's mental problems a secret from them just because they hired your employers to get you to teach them a bit of geography or whatever.
    Latest gem from Elon Musk

Who decides when to add letters to LGBTIDGAFQ+? Is there a committee or something? I don’t get it. Asking for a friend.

10:10 PM · Jun 18, 2023

·

Views

https://twitter.com/ElonMuskAOC/status/1670539501582827520?s=20
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

He's a lawyer, which gives us a clue. He knowingly lies for a living. He's also quite ruthless

So I reckon we will get pragmatic managerialism, with a few left wing baubles to appease the troops (eg attacking private schools), and a dash of Wokery (but he will have to be really careful, this shit will annoy people)

More interesting is what he will do with intractable problems like our EU relations, and the boat people

Im more worried about how Angela Rayner will perform.
    edited June 2023
    Westie said:

dixiedean said:

Who has the legal and moral responsibility to ensure that children are educated and raised - is it the parents or is it the employees of some outfit or either that the parents hired and can decide to sack with immediate effect if they so wish? Just resign. No parent asked you to keep children's mental problems a secret from them just because they hired your employers to get you to teach them a bit of geography or whatever.
    Fine.
    I'm sure you'll be wonderful in your new Special Needs role. "Mental and secret" is a bit of a red flag.
    You sound ideal.
    dixiedean said:

Hopefully, that's just the Sun's spin on it and the official stuff will be more nuanced.
    But if that is anywhere near the policy that will be imposed, then I'll find another job. I won't be alone. My whole career has been about keeping children safe. I will not be outing them to potentially violent

If a kid is exhibiting mental health issues it is your duty to alert the parents
    Landsend said:

Who decides when to add letters to LGBTIDGAFQ+? Is there a committee or something? I don’t get it. Asking for a friend.

Although I appreciate it is difficult to tell the difference, :)

Landsend said:

Westie said:

The Russian elites are very, very stupid, for example.

Landsend said:

Westie said:

Maybe but what if western elites are more stupid.
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

If a kid is exhibiting mental health issues it is your duty to alert the parents
    Genuine question: is it? For example, if the child's mental issues was caused by the parent? To whom does the duty of care apply: the child or the parents? Is trans a mental heath issue in this context? I understood "gender dysphoria" was decategorised recently and is no longer considered a mental health condition.
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Surely the difference here is official vs non official.

If your son is asking his friends to call him another name or pronoun outside of the classroom, it is none of the parents business. No more than if I saw your son kissing another boy on the playground.

But if your son is asking teachers and other pupils to refer to him as "she" in the classroom, and the teacher agrees to it, of course the parents should be made aware.

• Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    Landsend said:

Gosh. Has anybody told Michelle?
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Suspecting you may be trans isn't a mental health issue.
    I raise mental health issues every day.
    Fuck all is done about them.
    Unless you consider putting them on a 2 year plus waiting list to be doing summat.

FF43 said:

The excess mortality rate in the worst countries such as East Europe due to Covid was about 8000 per million; in the UK 3000, by no means the best performing country. So perhaps lockdowns saved 300 000 lives in the UK. A couple of big caveats. It doesn't take into account the effectiveness of vaccine programmes. The worst performing countries also had lockdowns, so the excess death rate isn't necessarily upper bounded at 8000 per million if you had no lockdowns at all.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

If your son is asking his friends to call him another name or pronoun outside of the classroom, it is none of the parents business. No more than if I saw your son kissing another boy on the playground.

But if your son is asking teachers and other pupils to refer to him as "she" in the classroom, and the teacher agrees to it, of course the parents should be made aware.

No it isn't and it shouldn't.
    I'm not having a kid beaten to death by their parents for it.
    End of fucking discussion.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

I took the legislation as referring to kids who are definitely "trans", wanting to use different pronouns, rejecting their born gender: and in that case Yes I think the parents must surely be informed, unless there is a history of parental abuse

Landsend said:

Landsend said:

Westie said:

Maybe but what if western elites are more stupid.
    Russia is fucking it self harder and harder. They now have the third best army in Ukraine.
    viewcode said:

FF43 said:

Except Callaghan interestingly.

Landsend said:

You do know gays are often married dont you.
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

I took the legislation as referring to kids who are definitely "trans", wanting to use different pronouns, rejecting their born gender: and in that case Yes I think the parents must surely be informed, unless there is a history of parental abuse

Why?
    Interesting given his views on the covid vaccine.

BREAKING: Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. is now leading Joe Biden in 2024 presidential election polls.

8:19 PM · Jun 18, 2023

·

Views

https://twitter.com/LeadingReport/status/1670511484927918080?s=20
    edited June 2023
    A
    Landsend said:

Landsend said:

You do know gays are often married dont you.
    You mean like Putin?

https://i.imgur.com/HIcHo30.jpg
    Maybe RFK jnr is a good outside bet. He was on joe rogan this weekend.
    FF43 said:

viewcode said:

FF43 said:

Except Callaghan interestingly.
    He wasn't in the job long enough to be hated. He became PM in 5 April 1976 and left it on 4 May 1979.

Although to be fair, Boris, Truss and (possibly) Sunak lasted less time and became more hated.

In fairness to politicians, it's not their job to be loved. It's their job to do the right thing as they see it, and our job to get rid of them if we think they're wrong.

dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

How far would you go? Would you warn the other pupils to keep it a secret from the child's parents?
    Landsend said:

BREAKING: Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. is now leading Joe Biden in 2024 presidential election polls.

·

Views

Very sceptical. Needs to be confirmed by other polling.
    I wonder who is funding RFK Jr, and supporting his sudden pick up by alt right tech loons.

Landsend said:

The conspiracy theory is that Michelle is trans. Do keep up!
    Prof Hotez offered a quarter of a million to debate RFK junior on covid vaccines. This is what Bill Ackman says.

am not part of the gang of three, but I strongly believe that an open long-form debate on vaccines with you and

@RobertKennedyJr

moderated by

@joerogan

would enable the public to better understand these issues. You have previously complained about the lack of air time devoted to this discussion. You have been offered $250k toward your favorite charity for a few hours of your time. How can you say no? Refusing to debate your antagonist in a public forum discredits your previously stated and published views while handing an uncontested victory in the debate to

@RobertKennedyJr

. If you are truly interested in saving lives, you need to further the public’s understanding of the truth about vaccines. This is a debate that you cannot walk away from. It will be watched by millions. I write from the perspective of three jabs and my fully vaccinated children.

https://twitter.com/BillAckman/status/1670236811245899776?s=20
    Andy_JS said:

Landsend said:

·

Views

The poll is net favourability, and most people don’t know who RFK Jr is…
    edited June 2023
    Some of you may recall @Leon's recent stay in an infamous hotel. I posted a link to a recent Atun-Shei films documentary about that specific hotel here, which everybody ignored. You may be similarly disinterested in a upcoming collab between him and Georg Rockall-Schmidt: if so, here is a link to it so you can ignore that as well.
    carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

How far would you go? Would you warn the other pupils to keep it a secret from the child's parents?
    The other pupils generally don't care.
    But. I'm not responsible for that.
    Outing a kid to their parents?
    Nope, no, no, no, nada.
    It ain't happening on my watch.
    Absolutely not. I'd go to jail first
    Good luck filling SEN posts with those who would. Maybe an Army of Spectator interns could sort the sector out?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003

Andy_JS said:

Landsend said:

·

Views

Yes net favourability, not a head to head v Biden.

Though Trump v Kennedy Jnr for the White House would be interesting
    The Peter Hotez vs. RFK Jr Charity Debate Pot Is Now Over $1.52 MILLION!! Here is the Leaderboard: 1) $500k -

@Cobratate

2) $250k -

@realnickmugalli

3) $150k -

@billackman

4) $100k -

@joerogan

5) $100k -

@patrickbetdavid

6) $100k -

@stkirsch

7) $100k -

@richardursomd

8) $100k -

@Timcast

Bill Ackman is interesting. A very level headed hedge fund guy hardly a conspiracy theorist.

https://twitter.com/TheChiefNerd/status/1670416300911349769?s=20
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Landsend said:

·

Views

Can we have boring politics for a change? It's been interesting since 2001! It used to be so dull. I miss those days...

:(
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Landsend said:

·

Views

To be fair many trump voters would support some of rfk junior positions...anti covid vaccine sceptical of russian ukraine war.
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Landsend said:

·

Views

Can we have boring politics for a change? It's been interesting since 2001! It used to be so dull. I miss those days...

:(
    Lets have RFK jr vs Trump for the lolz.
    I just can’t be arsed to talk about Trans AGAIN
    In other news Cincinnati airport is a mare
    Leon said:

I'm sure it has planes as well. Did you look at the runway?

[ducks]

B)
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

[ducks]

B)
    You literally can’t get a drink landside. They are FORCING me to take Tramadol
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

[ducks]

B)
    You literally can’t get a drink landside. They are FORCING me to take Tramadol
    One sympathises. :)
    Grace Randolph/Beyond The Trailer on the numbers for the Flash opening weekend ($55million!) and the future of the DCEU. TLDR: horriblehorriblehorrible
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nope.

Biden actually tied Trump 48% 48% amongst voters earning over $200,000 a year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_presidential_election#Voter_demographics

Trump also won 67% of white voters without college degrees, Biden won 51% of white voters with college degrees
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_presidential_election#Voter_demographics
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nope.

Biden actually tied Trump 48% 48% amongst voters earning over $200,000 a year.

Trump also won 67% of white voters without college degrees, Biden won 51% of white voters with college degrees
    Biden 81 million votes
    Trump 74 million votes
    Leon said:

I don't even understand why it's a political issue. It never used to be.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I don't even understand why it's a political issue. It never used to be.
    I can, kinda. But it is very sad. A generation of kids are having their brains fucked over by activist perverts
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    Landsend said:

·

Views

The tweet doesn't match their link. They're quoting a favourability poll, not a presidential poll. Biden's favourability is -9 (and Trump's -10) so nearly all Americans will lead favourability polls against both these candidates.

If you keep clicking through the links they have a Dem primary poll, which has Biden at 62% vs RFK Jr at 15%.
    edited June 2023
    More alien stuff
    https://twitter.com/AndrewCFollett/status/1669347366963666948

Andrew Follett
    @AndrewCFollett
    Its very likely this is a trap. The govt has a long history of using the public's interest in Aliens to smoke out moles. If I mysteriously fall out a window, it wasn't suicide.

#UFO ‘Whistleblower’ Is a Trap for the GOP

https://nationalreview.com/2023/06/ufo-whistleblower-is-a-trap-for-the-gop/
    Maybe it's time to watch The X Files again with all this talk of UFOs.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Andy_JS said:

Landsend said:

·

Views

Very Putin-bottish. Needs to be vetted by mods.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Landsend said:

·

Views

Elon Musk has an actual, real, live friend?

HA! HA! HA!
    edited June 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe it's time to watch The X Files again with all this talk of UFOs.

There was an episode of the X-Files where a USAF officer explains to Mulder that it's all Government disinformation designed to obscure Stealth aircraft research (see also Tacit Blue and Pave Blue). I can't identify exactly which one it was, tho' it might be Dreamland S06E04.

Landsend said:

Elon Musk has an actual, real, live friend?

HA! HA! HA!
    I'm sure he does. I'm sure he has many friends, all of whom hurriedly reassure him that they are really his friends, each and every time he asks.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Should you alert a parent if their child is gay?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Former Trump Defense secretary brands him a security threat
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/18/mark-esper-secrets-trump-classified-00102541
This discussion has been closed.