Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This from Today’s FT should really worry Rishi – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,583
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

Just been told the flight has special Union Jacks to celebrate our presence

I've done the really sad thing again and looked up your flight.

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW21H/3096f003
    "Haff you ever been to Zinzinatti???"
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

The Viking invasions were probably the moment the English began to feel REALLY English. A people

There’s nothing like being attacked to make you the victims band together, and bond into a team

I think that's right.

And, actually, these really were invasions (even if the numbers were not huge, relative to the pre-existing population). Attempts to rewrite the Vikings as peaceful traders and farmers are a form of revisionism too far. A trader and farmer could be a warrior and pirate, according to circumstance.
    I think it was in one of Cornwell's Last Kingdom novel afterwords where he talked about that revisionism, albeit he is not a historian. He talked about the definitive proof we have of establishment of fortified towns/burhs and just how expensive and difficult that would have been, and you just don't do that unless you are facing serious and existential military threat.
    Again there is masses of archaeological evidence for the Viking military assault which doesn't exist for the earlier Saxon migrations. Villages and farmsteads being burnt down leaves a very clear trace in the archaological record and when lots of these happen in the same area at around the same time you can generaly disregard accidents.

And of course the AS Chronicle was being written at the time of the Viking onslaught so is a far more reliable document for this period than for the earlier migration period.
    I remember a young lady with whom a modest understanding was developing asking me, on finding I was interested in that period of history, what Anglo-Saxons thought of the arrival of the Vikings, and whether they were excited to meet these immigrants with a different culture. I was so absolutely flummoxed that I don't think I even attempted a response. The nascent understanding faded out soon afterwards.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

I wonder why most of the most-viewed flights are en-route to Funchal?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

ping said:

Stocky said:

Is there any substance to this Schofield thing?

I'm supremely uninterested and lack details - but why the furore? He's had an affair at work. Is that it?

I think it says a lot about the shifting sands of our culture. Would anyone have even regarded what he did as “an affair” 20 years ago?
    It's bullshit though - the sands haven't really shifted. Jeez, I'd have been sacked loads of times. How many people have found their spouse's via work, often while with a former partner? The puritanism of some astonishes me.
    Yup. I'm married to my former manageress, with whom I had a fling at work!

As far as I can see, Schofield has done nothing illegal, so all the rest is mere value judgements based on a media circus generated by organisations that love talking about nothing but themselves.

He is one of millions of people who have met a partner at work and while the extreme junior-senior element was perhaps distasteful to some I don't see why this story is commanding so much attention.

He's left. He's gone. So presumably that's it?
    It does seem like, unless there was illegality afoot, Schofield should now be left alone.

Or are the febrile media looking for a Caroline Flack redux?
    Because it’s been decided that the star ‘talent’, in his 50s, f…ing the 18-year-old intern, is no longer acceptable.
    Both men were over the age of consent weren’t they? What’s the point of having that law otherwise?
    Power differentials - it is a sacking offence in every company I know of to have an affair with someone in the reporting line.

What you are supposed to do is report it to HR, so one person gets moved to a different department.
    Isn't that rather unfair on Chief Executives? Who are they supposed to have affairs with?
    One of the other eight billion people who don’t work for them.

Even in my part of the world, ‘sectretary-with-benefits’ adverts have disappeared from the newspapers over the past decade.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

NOW HEAR THIS - ALERTING ALL PBers!

The current Governor of the great State of Florida spells his surname - DeSantis.

Two capital letters. Zero space between "De" and "Santis". Do NOT leave off the "De".

I'm very uncomfortable with this notion of self-ID; what did his parents call him?
    His parents called him Ronda Santis until he started self-ID as a man. True story.
    kle4 said:

boulay said:

His parents called him Ronda Santis until he started self-ID as a man. True story.

I expect to see this in a Trump ad very soon.
    There's a similar case with Nick E. Haley.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Ghedebrav said:

CatMan said:

Leon said:

Answer: bad weather conditions there holding lots of planes in the air.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,317
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

ping said:

Stocky said:

I'm supremely uninterested and lack details - but why the furore? He's had an affair at work. Is that it?

I think it says a lot about the shifting sands of our culture. Would anyone have even regarded what he did as “an affair” 20 years ago?
    It's bullshit though - the sands haven't really shifted. Jeez, I'd have been sacked loads of times. How many people have found their spouse's via work, often while with a former partner? The puritanism of some astonishes me.

As far as I can see, Schofield has done nothing illegal, so all the rest is mere value judgements based on a media circus generated by organisations that love talking about nothing but themselves.

He is one of millions of people who have met a partner at work and while the extreme junior-senior element was perhaps distasteful to some I don't see why this story is commanding so much attention.

It does seem like, unless there was illegality afoot, Schofield should now be left alone.

Because it’s been decided that the star ‘talent’, in his 50s, f…ing the 18-year-old intern, is no longer acceptable.
    Both men were over the age of consent weren’t they? What’s the point of having that law otherwise?
    A sixth form girl inflagrante with her teacher would also be a case of two people being over the age of consent, but it wouldn't stop the teacher getting banged up.

I just don't believe hounding Schofield is the way forward. If he has broken the law, that is for law enforcement to determine, if he hasn't leave him alone.
    The problem here appears to be that the fellow teacher, head of department, deputy head, head teacher, school board, and local education authority, all knew about the relationship, realised it was bad, and conspired to cover it up.
    A poor analogy, as the law regarding that situation is quite distinct.
    'Position of trust' is a legal term defined in the Sexual Offences Act 2003. In section 22 it is explained as an adult “caring for, training, supervising or being in sole charge” of a child under the age of 18.
    Sexual relations with a child over the age of consent, in that situation, are illegal.
    So the age of consent is really 18 then?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Ghedebrav said:

CatMan said:

Leon said:

Because there’s always go-arounds there in bad weather, and it’s a long *long* way from anywhere else to go.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771

CatMan said:

Leon said:

"Haff you ever been to Zinzinatti???"
    No

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,214

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

ping said:

Stocky said:

A sixth form girl inflagrante with her teacher would also be a case of two people being over the age of consent, but it wouldn't stop the teacher getting banged up.

I just don't believe hounding Schofield is the way forward. If he has broken the law, that is for law enforcement to determine, if he hasn't leave him alone.
    The problem here appears to be that the fellow teacher, head of department, deputy head, head teacher, school board, and local education authority, all knew about the relationship, realised it was bad, and conspired to cover it up.
    A poor analogy, as the law regarding that situation is quite distinct.
    'Position of trust' is a legal term defined in the Sexual Offences Act 2003. In section 22 it is explained as an adult “caring for, training, supervising or being in sole charge” of a child under the age of 18.
    Sexual relations with a child over the age of consent, in that situation, are illegal.
    So the age of consent is really 18 then?
    Hasn't it always been thus, but parental consent is a requirement at 16 and 17? Which is somewhat anomalous as I doubt many of us availed our parents of what we were doing between the age of 16 and 18.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479

NEW THREAD

• Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,784

Stocky said:

(1) He had an affair at work, (2) with someone much younger than him, (3) who's career he had helped beforehand, and (4) he lied about it when confronted. I think the difficult questions are particularly around (3): did he happen to help the person's career and then they found themselves together, or was he helping the person's career in order to facilitate a future liaison? I can't see any actual evidence to support the latter, as I've not been following this at all closely, but I understand that's the gist of it!
    AIUI, one of the aspects is that the affair at work started before he publicly came out as gay in 2020 and may have been concealed for career reeasons.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

this thread has gone the way of the Anglo Saxons

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2023
    Heathener said:

As you know, I predict a Labour landslide.

Some of the right-wingers on here don't like me stating and re-stating this but as we've had to put up with years of tory clusterf*ck it's your turn to drink the hemlock.

I was in my favourite cafe/bar in Cap Ferrat and there were a group of Americans. They were on a Euro tour. 14 countries in 20 days. They have a Schengen Pass which allows them into 24 countries without showing passports. Paris Nice Monaco Barcelona Florence Vienna The Vatican .....ending in Venice. They were loving it. The whole Cote d'Azur is full of Americans

I couldn't figure out what they were doing in Cap Ferrat? Maybe the history of well known residents? It's as delightful a place as you can find anywhere but if you are trying to hit all the major European Cities in just 21 day's you'd probably give the small villages a miss however celebrated.

We really have exited a very desirable club.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

ping said:

Stocky said:

Once again, assuming no law was broken I don't see the problem. Covering up a non-illegal act isn't really a cover up.

Now if the allusion here is there was illegality and that illegality was covered up that is a more serious story.
    There are many legal things that are still dodgy.
    They are also known as lawyers.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124

viewcode said:

Leon said:

...You’d have a point if you weren’t completely wrong

Regardless of the debate, I have to point out that according to that map there are a lot of people in the sea... :smiley:

According to DNA analysis I am 1% Mermaid.
    Admirably kicking back against the gender prescriptive merman patriarchy.
This discussion has been closed.