Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even CON voters think that ministers should provide all the COVID-19 messages – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

This explains it.

Rishi Sunak is facing a barrage of criticism in the run-up to the official Covid-19 inquiry as a leading scientist attacks his “spectacularly stupid” eat out to help out scheme, which is believed to have caused a sudden rise in cases of the virus.
    [..]
    Eat out to help out was launched in August 2020. It allowed diners to claim 50% off more than 160m meals at a cost to the Treasury of about £850m. In the process, it also drove new Covid-19 infections up by between 8 and 17%, according to one study carried out a few weeks later.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/03/sunak-under-fire-as-stupid-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme-to-be-focus-of-covid-inquiry?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Eat Out To Help Covid Out!
    Eat out to help out coincided with several confounders. Firstly tourists coming back from Spain imported the virus. Schools were going back, unis too.
    As ever in a perfect world stopping the virus could take priority over everything, but the worlds not perfect.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,493
    No Ruskie troll today ?

Almost disappointed.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:
    You're absolutely sure he was referring to Hillsborough? Innocent until proven guilty.
    99% of Manchester United fans have condemned this, they know what it refers to, and it isn't about the 2018/19 season.
    But do you know for sure? Innocent until proven guilty.
    The criminal standard in a courtroom is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. You are now asking for a higher standard of proof. TSE is gently suggesting that your doubt is not reasonable.
    Is it beyond reasonable doubt?
    Yes, I think it is beyond reasonable doubt.

I don't think he should be arrested for it - thrown out of the stadium, banned from attending any future football matches and barred by any reputable pubs should be sufficient sanction in a free society.
    No society, free or otherwise, lets people say what they want whenever they want without risk of criminal sanction. Not even the USA. This was an act designed to provoke strong feelings with the real potential for violence
    So you argue someone should be prosecuted because other people might commit crimes. We can tell you are a lawyer because the no one should ever be prosecuted because others might break the law. It is why most people have no respect for law, the police, lawyers or judges
    People can be prosecuted for provoking someone into committing a crime.

Most people do, actually, have respect for the law, lawyers and judges. Those of us not in your ivory tower know that. If you got down from your comfortable middle class existence and spoke to some real people you’d realise that.
    Most people don't. Get burglared, your car broken into and the police will likely not even bother to investigate. Say the wrong thing on twitter or wear an offensive shirt its all hands to the pump. Most in the country despise you all and think you are a passel of arseholes.
    A very easy and universally popular policy for any political party would be to actually bloody investigate burglaries and car thefts. The passivity on these crimes is bewildering. In the last 2 years I’ve had a car stolen, a caravan stolen (from my vineyard), and there have been multiple break ins on our street. In all cases the police - both the Met and Kent police - responded with an efficient and empathetic shrug.
    and offer you a crime number but no action
    Oh, I don’t know

A chap I knew had a quad bike stolen from his property. It was in a shed, being repaired. When stolen the two thrived got a certain distance before a nasty crash.

The police investigated thoroughly.

Him, for the alleged claim that he’d booby trapped the quad bike to deliberately target thieves.
    Not surprised my step father had his dog stolen from his garden the police didn't turn up for 5 hours and he had got it back having caught up to the tramp. They told him he was lucky they hadn't found the tramp so couldn't press assault charges for threatening him to get his dog back
    I was in my flat oe day and someone was trying to kick the door in. While I had my back pressed against the door I very loudly called 999 to try and scare them off (successfully - thankfully). 5-6hrs later two police turned up and asked me who did it. I said I didn't know as... the door was closed and I had my back against it.

"Well, there's not much we can do then".

End of investigation.

Almost opposite event - when I still smoked I cast around for a bin to use to safely dispose of the end of a ciggy on a busy street. No sign of one so I guiltily put it out by smooshing it underfoot. Walked into a shop to buy some stuff. Queue two policemen who had been outside coming in and physically manhandling me out of the shop to give me a fine for my heinous crime. Turned out they'd been carefully standing in front of the one bin so you couldn't see it.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    EPG said:

Sean_F said:

This explains it.

Rishi Sunak is facing a barrage of criticism in the run-up to the official Covid-19 inquiry as a leading scientist attacks his “spectacularly stupid” eat out to help out scheme, which is believed to have caused a sudden rise in cases of the virus.

The prime minister’s role as chancellor during the pandemic is under increasing scrutiny – as is that of his predecessor at No 10, Boris Johnson – in an escalating Covid blame game at Westminster as Lady Hallett prepares to open her investigation into the government’s pandemic response later this month.

The president of the British Medical Association, Prof Martin McKee, also criticises the “dysfunctional” way in which the government, including the Treasury under Sunak, overlooked scientific advice throughout the pandemic.....

....This weekend, there are signs that while Johnson will be firmly in Hallett’s sights, so, too, will Sunak – particularly over the way the Treasury failed to involve scientists in decisions and the formulation of policy. Hallett has already sent questions to Johnson asking if scientific evidence and opinion was sought before eat out to help out was launched, which appears not to have been the case.

Speaking to the Observer, Prof John Edmunds of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who was a member of the Sage committee of advisers to ministers and who has submitted written evidence to the inquiry, said the controversial eat out to help out scheme – which gave people discounts for eating in restaurants and pubs – was never discussed with scientists.

“If we had [been consulted], I would have been clear what I thought about it,” said Edmunds. “As far as I am concerned, it was a spectacularly stupid idea and an obscene way to spend public money.”

Eat out to help out was launched in August 2020. It allowed diners to claim 50% off more than 160m meals at a cost to the Treasury of about £850m. In the process, it also drove new Covid-19 infections up by between 8 and 17%, according to one study carried out a few weeks later.

In his recently published book Johnson at 10: The Inside Story, Anthony Seldon says that the then health secretary, Matt Hancock, first found about the scheme when he read a press release about it. Asked to comment on the claim on Saturday, Hancock’s spokesperson did not deny the account but said he was unable to comment before the inquiry.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/03/sunak-under-fire-as-stupid-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme-to-be-focus-of-covid-inquiry?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I thought Eat Out to Help Out was reasonable, and I took advantage of it.

How is this even a story? Unless people think we needed permanent social distancing, people were going to go out and mingle with each other sooner or later.
    If these leaks and comments continue then the inquiry becomes seriously compromised and will lose credibility

There are two sides to many of these stories, and as I have posted Edmund himself questioned their advice later on the grounds they had not considered the economic impact

It is fairly well known Johnson and Sunak were sceptical of lockdowns and many are coming round to this view
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948

Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:
    You're absolutely sure he was referring to Hillsborough? Innocent until proven guilty.
    99% of Manchester United fans have condemned this, they know what it refers to, and it isn't about the 2018/19 season.
    The criminal standard in a courtroom is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. You are now asking for a higher standard of proof. TSE is gently suggesting that your doubt is not reasonable.
    Is it beyond reasonable doubt?
    Yes, I think it is beyond reasonable doubt.

I don't think he should be arrested for it - thrown out of the stadium, banned from attending any future football matches and barred by any reputable pubs should be sufficient sanction in a free society.
    No society, free or otherwise, lets people say what they want whenever they want without risk of criminal sanction. Not even the USA. This was an act designed to provoke strong feelings with the real potential for violence
    So you argue someone should be prosecuted because other people might commit crimes. We can tell you are a lawyer because the no one should ever be prosecuted because others might break the law. It is why most people have no respect for law, the police, lawyers or judges
    The concept of “fighting words” has an ancient history in law.
    "Why, if you don't withdraw those remarks, Sir, I shall put Pineapple on your pizza!"

:: dashed foes face with a silk hanky ::
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,332

No Ruskie troll today ?

Almost disappointed.

@Durex_Ace was on this morning IIRC.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451

No Ruskie troll today ?

Almost disappointed.

They ran out of reinforcements.
  • Options

This too.

Another critical decision set to be investigated by Hallett was made in September 2020, when the government was urged by Sage to impose a mini-lockdown to dampen rising case numbers, with both Johnson and Sunak opposing the move. “I said then that the question was either do it now and get on top of the epidemic and keep it under control, or be forced into doing it in a few weeks’ time, by which time the epidemic will be much worse,” Edmunds said. “There will be many more hospitalisations and deaths, and you will have to take more stringent action. Unfortunately that is exactly what happened.”

This was always going to happen whenever you removed restrictions. The logic of the circuit breaker was false.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,692

EPG said:

Sean_F said:

This explains it.

The prime minister’s role as chancellor during the pandemic is under increasing scrutiny – as is that of his predecessor at No 10, Boris Johnson – in an escalating Covid blame game at Westminster as Lady Hallett prepares to open her investigation into the government’s pandemic response later this month.

The president of the British Medical Association, Prof Martin McKee, also criticises the “dysfunctional” way in which the government, including the Treasury under Sunak, overlooked scientific advice throughout the pandemic.....

....This weekend, there are signs that while Johnson will be firmly in Hallett’s sights, so, too, will Sunak – particularly over the way the Treasury failed to involve scientists in decisions and the formulation of policy. Hallett has already sent questions to Johnson asking if scientific evidence and opinion was sought before eat out to help out was launched, which appears not to have been the case.

Speaking to the Observer, Prof John Edmunds of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who was a member of the Sage committee of advisers to ministers and who has submitted written evidence to the inquiry, said the controversial eat out to help out scheme – which gave people discounts for eating in restaurants and pubs – was never discussed with scientists.

“If we had [been consulted], I would have been clear what I thought about it,” said Edmunds. “As far as I am concerned, it was a spectacularly stupid idea and an obscene way to spend public money.”

In his recently published book Johnson at 10: The Inside Story, Anthony Seldon says that the then health secretary, Matt Hancock, first found about the scheme when he read a press release about it. Asked to comment on the claim on Saturday, Hancock’s spokesperson did not deny the account but said he was unable to comment before the inquiry.

How is this even a story? Unless people think we needed permanent social distancing, people were going to go out and mingle with each other sooner or later.
    If these leaks and comments continue then the inquiry becomes seriously compromised and will lose credibility

There are two sides to many of these stories, and as I have posted Edmund himself questioned their advice later on the grounds they had not considered the economic impact

It is fairly well known Johnson and Sunak were sceptical of lockdowns and many are coming round to this view
    You wish!

How is this a leak that could undermine the inquiry? As far as I can see it's a comment from a Prof John Edmunds of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

He's entitled to his views and maybe, given his position, the Inquiry will hear them first hand. There's nothing to stop him talking to the press outside the Inquiry though, as far as I'm aware.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    Interesting that it’s seen as an arrestable offence.

On the anniversary of the Kingsmill Massacre (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsmill_massacre) a Sein Fein politician tweeted a picture of a loaf of Kingsmill bread balanced on his head*.

The NI police said that it was harmless banter plus there was no evidence that it referred to anything.

*yes, they are fucking weird in NI
    I believe 1 Para flags are quite frequently flown in parts of Derry/Londonderry (delete to taste). I doubt that they’re commemorating Arnhem.
    According to the recent Local Election, there are more Nationalists now than Unionists on the old Waterside.
  • Options

This explains it.

[..]

Eat out to help out coincided with several confounders. Firstly tourists coming back from Spain imported the virus. Schools were going back, unis too.
    As ever in a perfect world stopping the virus could take priority over everything, but the worlds not perfect.
    I think there is next to no chance of Sunak running into trouble on EO2HO unless he said some really intemperate things, which would seem out of character.

The quality of the policy (value for money etc) is a little arguable, but that's true of anything in uncharted territory. It wasn't ludicrous to want to kickstart economic activity whilst rates were low, and many people genuinely appreciated the respite in a grim period.

I say that as not a Sunak fan at all. I'm just not buying that this is relevant to the current reluctance to hand over messages.
  • Options

EPG said:

Sean_F said:

This explains it.

You wish!

How is this a leak that could undermine the inquiry? As far as I can see it's a comment from a Prof John Edmunds of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

He's entitled to his views and maybe, given his position, the Inquiry will hear them first hand. There's nothing to stop him talking to the press outside the Inquiry though, as far as I'm aware.
    Well he certainly admitted later that they had not considered the economic impact which he concedes they should have
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

This explains it.

I don't think this can possibly be an explanation for the WhatsApp message fiasco, as there can be no argument over whether messages about this policy would be relevant. Failure to disclose - regardless of the decision in the judicial review - would be a serious offence and career-ending cover-up.

I see the grubby hand of Simon Case in all this. He's the common link, and has rather a lot to hide about how he managed the conduct of Government at that time. I suspect he prevailed on Sunak to back the JR on a pretty bogus "chilling effect on free discussion basis". And Sunak, being actually really bad ad judging the optics of these kinds of things, said "okay, Simon".
    Simon Case's vindictive comments about "locking up" travellers in "premier inn shoe boxes" should have been career ending.
    No it shouldn't, but only because his career should never have started.
  • Options

This explains it.

[..]

I think there is next to no chance of Sunak running into trouble on EO2HO unless he said some really intemperate things, which would seem out of character.

The quality of the policy (value for money etc) is a little arguable, but that's true of anything in uncharted territory. It wasn't ludicrous to want to kickstart economic activity whilst rates were low, and many people genuinely appreciated the respite in a grim period.

I say that as not a Sunak fan at all. I'm just not buying that this is relevant to the current reluctance to hand over messages.
    You may be right but something must be driving that reluctance. Until we find out, speculation will inevitably fill the gap.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695

This explains it.

But if that is what Sunak is trying to hide, he doesn't have a hope in hell, does he?

Here's some of the publicity from August 2020. It doesn't exactly need Sherlock Holmes to work out whose policy it was.

(It was a decent plan for when COVID was Definitely Tamed. Which, despite wishful thinking and Oxford epidemiology, wasn't August 2020.)
    Interesting that it wasn't repeated when we really had tamed Covid.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

EPG said:

Sean_F said:

This explains it.

You wish!

Well he certainly admitted later that they had not considered the economic impact which he concedes they should have
    Wasn't his job. Remit is all important when doing government work.
  • Options

This explains it.

[..]

You may be right but something must be driving that reluctance. Until we find out, speculation will inevitably fill the gap.
    I think that is fair comment but I am not convinced Sunak is trying to hide his own actions
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

No Ruskie troll today ?

Almost disappointed.

Perhaps they've had to be redeployed to deal with trouble on the i-home front, given events in Belgorod.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,606

This explains it.

Believe yours truly opined on PB at time of the Rishi Meal Deal that it DID have obvious potential for virus spreading.

Certainly had that thought. And doubt I was only one.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

This explains it.

But if that is what Sunak is trying to hide, he doesn't have a hope in hell, does he?

Here's some of the publicity from August 2020. It doesn't exactly need Sherlock Holmes to work out whose policy it was.

(It was a decent plan for when COVID was Definitely Tamed. Which, despite wishful thinking and Oxford epidemiology, wasn't August 2020.)
    Ultimately, I think it probably failed on the value for money test so wasn't repeated.

But that isn't a major scandal. Sometimes novel interventions don't quite match the hopes for them, but quite a few people got a half price lunch.

Did it also contribute to COVID spike later? Maybe a bit, but many countries had that further wave.

And again, I'd repeat that it's unambiguously a policy matter, so the outcome of the judicial review really isn't relevant to it.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Great piece by Fraser Nelson on how Facebook works with government against the public interest

'The commercial incentive for me as an editor is now clear. By all means, publish articles about Philip Schofield, Ukraine, the royals – but steer clear of anything taking a critical view of government public health policy. That way you risk being “downrated” by Facebook. Academics fear being marked down as “sceptics” so they have an incentive to avoid the areas that need investigation the most.'

Mark Candymountain has more power than Murdoch, Hearst or Beaverbrook ever had

https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/06/02/facebook-power-no-transparency-silence-covid-dissent/
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,142

This explains it.

Believe yours truly opined on PB at time of the Rishi Meal Deal that it DID have obvious potential for virus spreading.

Certainly had that thought. And doubt I was only one.
    It was sufficiently stupid for my business partner and I to discuss it and decide not to open the restaurant at all, and just continue with our home deliveries.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Seems to me that people are getting over excited here.

It's already been announced that it's going to take until Summer 2026 for all evidence to be heard. So it's going to be 2027 before any report is issued.

And that's if the current timetable is adhered to. There's every chance it'll all take much longer than scheduled - indeed this Judicial Review is the first step in stringing it out.

So what are we actually saying here? Maybe in 2027 but more likely in 2028 or 2029 a report is going to come out saying Eat Out to Help Out made Covid worse.

I'm sure that's going to have a huge impact on politics in 2028 or 2029.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,493
    MikeL said:

It's already been announced that it's going to take until Summer 2026 for all evidence to be heard. So it's going to be 2027 before any report is issued.

And that's if the current timetable is adhered to. There's every chance it'll all take much longer than scheduled - indeed this Judicial Review is the first step in stringing it out.

So what are we actually saying here? Maybe in 2027 but more likely in 2028 or 2029 a report is going to come out saying Eat Out to Help Out made Covid worse.

Isn't the plan for the public hearings to begin this year, so seeing Sunak squirm and obfuscate could be bad for him and his party.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,606
    Today my humble Seattle hood (overwhelmingly middle-class and white-bread) is a festive, thronging, happening place - thanks to our local PrideFest.

Which is dominated by families, with lots of young kids, but with plenty of folks from under 1 to over 90. Weather is perfect, sunny and 70s Fahrenheit.

Local library branch, park, coffee shops, restaurants, shops are not just going with the flow, but leading the way.

Perhaps worth mentioning, that we do have somewhat above-average proportion of gay people, in particular lesbians. Who tend toward salt-of-the-earth way more than wild-and-crazy.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

No Ruskie troll today ?

Almost disappointed.

Perhaps they're fully deployed on the domestic internet having to explain how Ukrainian drones reaching Moscow is a sign the SMO is on track.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

Foxy said:

This explains it.

Ultimately, I think it probably failed on the value for money test so wasn't repeated.

But that isn't a major scandal. Sometimes novel interventions don't quite match the hopes for them, but quite a few people got a half price lunch.

Did it also contribute to COVID spike later? Maybe a bit, but many countries had that further wave.

And again, I'd repeat that it's unambiguously a policy matter, so the outcome of the judicial review really isn't relevant to it.
    I wonder whether the question of calling in his own scientific advice - Gupta, et al - is perhaps the crux of the matter?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited June 2023

MikeL said:

Isn't the plan for the public hearings to begin this year, so seeing Sunak squirm and obfuscate could be bad for him and his party.
    And you think he'll be the first to give evidence?

What was the time gap from the date when the Chilcott Inquiry was set up until the date Blair gave evidence?

Surely all written evidence will have to be submitted and reviewed by Hallett before she is ready to conduct oral hearings?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Eat Out To Help Out was one of the dumbest policies I've ever seen - and I said so at the time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Foxy said:

This explains it.

I wonder whether the question of calling in his own scientific advice - Gupta, et al - is perhaps the crux of the matter?
    Yes, if he was particularly enthusiastic about supporting their position and phrased it in an unfortunate way then it would be very damaging to him.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466

This explains it.

I don't think it does explain it - I don't think that's it.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited June 2023

This explains it.

[..]

I think that is fair comment but I am not convinced Sunak is trying to hide his own actions
    Of course not! It’s not as if he ate a curry or something, then you’d be calling for his resignation.

As it happens, I thought EOTO a v good policy.
    If this were really the issue, and if Sunak were really a leader, he’d front it out.
  • Options
    The revelation that Hancock first heard about the policy on the news is pretty disgraceful.

British government seems to be run more amateurishly than I thought possible.
  • Options

This explains it.

[..]

Of course not! It’s not as if he ate a curry or something, then you’d be calling for his resignation.

If this were really the issue, and if Sunak were really a leader, he’d front it out.
    Big G said Starmer should resign before the investigation ROFL
  • Options

This explains it.

[..]

I think the poster who identified Simon Case (the Civil Service) as the main mover behind the Judicial Review may have a point - Sunak's dreadful announcement that 'The Government is confident in its position' seems pointedly to refer the 'the Government, not me'. Or it could just be that Sunak doesn’t have the balls to stand behind his own policy.
  • Options

The revelation that Hancock first heard about the policy on the news is pretty disgraceful.

British government seems to be run more amateurishly than I thought possible.

Surprising given he was busy with it.

Well, eating his helper out.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

This explains it.

[..]

The policy was fine, it was just the timing of it that was moronic.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

tlg86 said:
    Perhaps he’s calling the the Tories to be mullered at the next election. Even worse that they were in 97.

97 - not enough

Implausible, may be, but can it be ruled out?
    As a Tory I find that deeply offensive and threatening. If true I hope the police throw the book at him for this heinous crime
  • Options
    edited June 2023

This explains it.

[..]

It was an interesting and well meaning policy that attacked the wrong target at the wrong time. Largely I think because of the lack of planning I was mentioning earlier. The government seemed to think Covid would only have one wave, hence the air bridge and EOTHO to give hospitality a kick start. A smarter move out would have been trying to (a) avoid a further lockdown and (b) working like mad to mitigate it if they couldn't.

For example, for the same money they could have bought enough cheap laptops to give 50% of schoolchildren one to work on, which if not eliminating the economic divide @DecrepiterJohnL commented on earlier would certainly have mitigated it.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Surely the point is that the evidence HMG are trying to suppress will, when it inevitably comes out soon, be pretty damning for Sunak in some way or other. If we're talking about WhatsApps, it's not hard to see some of the recipients leaking those messages in the next few months, rather than years.

If there's nothing damaging to hide, why try to suppress them?
  • Options

MikeL said:

Surely the point is that the evidence HMG are trying to suppress will, when it inevitably comes out soon, be pretty damning for Sunak in some way or other. If we're talking about WhatsApps, it's not hard to see some of the recipients leaking those messages in the next few months, rather than years.

Tomorrow Observer leads the way
  • Options
    You can keep your Ferraris and Maseratis.
    Does anyone recall the Sinclair C5?
    Here's a flatpack electric car that costs less than £10,000

The vehicle, produced by Swedish firm Luvly, has two removable batteries that do not require car chargers
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:
    Perhaps he’s calling the the Tories to be mullered at the next election. Even worse that they were in 97.

97 - not enough

As a Tory I find that deeply offensive and threatening. If true I hope the police throw the book at him for this heinous crime
    I am not sure 'Toryism' is a protected characteristic for hate crime purposes: https://hatecrime.campaign.gov.uk
  • Options
    So some scientists apparently say it was wrong for the government to try and help restaurants and cafes to get some much needed income after the winter lockdown via 'Eat Out to help out' in summer 2020. Apart from the most austere socialists I would imagine anyone who might even consider voting Tory will probably take Sunak's side on that, as will the hospitality industry
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Lol
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,493

MikeL said:

Something may turn up. Something that means we won't be interested in the COVID enquiry any more. A scandal that discredits the opposition or the enemy. A small war. So delay is always preferable to admitting defeat now. But it's not cost free.

So what is bad enough to make this much awkwardness worthwhile?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

I am not sure 'Toryism' is a protected characteristic for hate crime purposes: https://hatecrime.campaign.gov.uk
    Religion is a protected characteristic and being a Tory was once almost indistinguishable from being an English Anglican
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2023
    The number one dumb dumb policy of summer 2020, letting people go on foreign holidays.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Religion is a protected characteristic and being a Tory was once almost indistinguishable from being an English Anglican
    Especially when at prayer

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451
    geoffw said:

You can keep your Ferraris and Maseratis.
    Here's a flatpack electric car that costs less than £10,000

The vehicle, produced by Swedish firm Luvly, has two removable batteries that do not require car chargers

Just from looking at it, it is using the 4 wheel “motorcycle” exception to rules about safety. It will be a death trap in any kind of collision.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Given their current parlous state maybe we could go for 'endangered species?'

(For the avoidance of doubt, this is a joke.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Religion is a protected characteristic and being a Tory was once almost indistinguishable from being an Anglican
    So Johnson and JRM are not true Tories?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So some scientists apparently say it was wrong for the government to try and help restaurants and cafes to get some much needed income after the winter lockdown via 'Eat Out to help out' in summer 2020. Apart from the most austere socialists I would imagine anyone who might even consider voting Tory will probably take Sunak's side on that, as will the hospitality industry
    I agree - I am not particularly incensed by Eat Out To Help Out.

However, the idea that Sunak is blocking this evidence just because it reveals that someone was rude about his policy is 'a view' 'for the birds' 'I have a bridge to sell you'.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Perhaps it should be, as it looks to be a congenital condition.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, I don't believe for one moment that EOTHO is the reason behind the government's desire to suppress evidence.
  • Options
    Government want to remove driving licenses from Just Stop Oil protestors.

Wut
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,022
    geoffw said:

I saw one today !!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scientists advise on science and economists on the economy, it is for government to consider both and formulate a response. That's where the buck stops.

How that decision was arrived at is one of the issues for the enquiry to decide hence the need for the enquiry to look at all evidence.

Obviously the retrospectoscope adds its own frisson, but as someone with medico-legal experience, that is nothing new.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

However, the idea that Sunak is blocking this evidence just because it reveals that someone was rude about his policy is 'a view' 'for the birds' 'I have a bridge to sell you'.
    It seems the scientists wanted the country in lockdown but subsequently admitted they had not considered the economic price

I am sure Johnson and Sunak were accutely conscious of the economic price and were resistant

In Wales Drakeford imposed a two week lockdown which did not change the course of the virus

This seems to be moving to a lockdown v economic argument and is likely to be along party lines

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-idUSKBN2740KT
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

It seems the scientists wanted the country in lockdown but subsequently admitted they had not considered the economic price

I am sure Johnson and Sunak were accutely conscious of the economic price and were resistant

In Wales Drakeford imposed a two week lockdown which did not change the course of the virus

This seems to be moving to a lockdown v economic argument and is likely to be along party lines
    There will be a huge amount of rewriting of history. There was a vocal element that if they had had their way we would just about to come out of lockdown now, and every media outlet bar the Telegraph was lockdown now, every single bloody day for 2 years.

Edit - the Mail were bipolar on this issue, often veering from one extreme to the other within space of a few hours, before finally landing on lockdown.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Rishi tells Britain "2p off".

https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/sunday-telegraph-front-page-2023-06-04/

Things must be bad if loyalist papers are having to dangle that carrot.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,316

Wut

Not far enough. They should also be banned from using natural gas, plastics and pharmaceutical products made from hydrocarbons, at least until they stop being so f******* stupid.
  • Options

Wut

Well it might cut some emissions as they won't be able to drive their diesel cars anymore....
  • Options

I’d rather have the NHS better funded, nurses better paid and 40 new hospitals.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Wut

Not far enough. They should also be banned from using natural gas, plastics and pharmaceutical products made from hydrocarbons, at least until they stop being so f******* stupid.
    I don’t think they can. I’ve never seen one of them interviewed that shows any glimmer of scientific knowledge.
  • Options
    'A new television series will dismantle the “mythology” of Colditz and show the racist side of British officers imprisoned there.'
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/06/03/tv-series-dismantle-colditz-mythology-racism-brit-officers/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

My camera does it scant justice but there is a stunningly beautiful moon visible tonight from Cannock at least. Must be near the perigee and I think the dust is turning it yellow.

Very nice!
    Don't forget in the opposite half of the sky, Venus reaches its maximum "elongation" away from the sun tomorrow. Afterwards, it will slowly sink back towards the horizon.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Scientists advise on science and economists on the economy, it is for government to consider both and formulate a response. That's where the buck stops.

How that decision was arrived at is one of the issues for the enquiry to decide hence the need for the enquiry to look at all evidence.

Obviously the retrospectoscope adds its own frisson, but as someone with medico-legal experience, that is nothing new.
    But this just highlights the problem I was trying to discuss a couple of threads back. Any politician who didn’t slavishly follow what turned out to be pretty ordinary advice would have been torn apart by a hysterical press and their opponents for “not caring” enough or “putting profit before lives”.
    So we were trapped into economically damaging policies that were not in fact necessary.

Just look how much the blessed Nicola was praised for “caring” more by imposing faster and longer lockdowns and more restrictions.

How do we make rational decisions in such an infantilised society? If the Inquiry can answer that one it will be worth every penny.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

But this just highlights the problem I was trying to discuss a couple of threads back. Any politician who didn’t slavishly follow what turned out to be pretty ordinary advice would have been torn apart by a hysterical press and their opponents for “not caring” enough or “putting profit before lives”.
    So we were trapped into economically damaging policies that were not in fact necessary.

Just look how much the blessed Nicola was praised for “caring” more by imposing faster and longer lockdowns and more restrictions.

How do we make rational decisions in such an infantilised society? If the Inquiry can answer that one it will be worth every penny.
    It was pretty obvious from the day the inquiry was announced it would never be about that, rather it will be about politicial point scoring & arse saving by throwing others under the bus.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?
    He went to Winchester, an Anglican school
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,701
    Did anyone not take advantage of "Eat Out to Help Out"?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I didn't.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?
    That doesn't make him an Anglican!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

It was pretty obvious from the day the inquiry was announced it would never be about that, rather it will be about politicial point scoring & arse saving by throwing others under the bus.
    Yep.
  • Options

Also reports Labour's climate plans could push up mortgage repayments by hundreds of pounds a year
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Andy_JS said:

I didn't nor did i go on a foreign holiday. I spent the summer mostly hanging out in the garden. At that point, seemed unnecessary to take the risk, given the situation.

I was always against the stupud tier listing etc. Rather advocated for a consistent set of rules that we stuck with across the country. Having pubs open in one town, then 2 miles down the road having them closed was bloody idiotic.

As soon as vaccine, i was very much then we need to get back to normal asap.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nope!
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,061
    That’s the issue with the public inquiry

In an ideal world we would be learning the lessons (really) of the pandemic and how to do things better in future.

In reality it’s going to be political point scoring
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?
    In which year did Rishi convert, then?
  • Options
    'Cambridge is teaching students that Anglo-Saxons did not exist as a distinct ethnic group as part of efforts to undermine “myths of nationalism”.

Britain’s early medieval history is taught by the Department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic, but the terms within its own title are being addressed as part of efforts to make teaching more “anti-racist”.

Its teaching aims to “dismantle the basis of myths of nationalism” by explaining that the Anglo-Saxons were not a distinct ethnic group, according to information from the department.

The department’s approach also aims to show that there were never “coherent” Scottish, Irish and Welsh ethnic identities with ancient roots.

The increased focus on anti-racism comes amid a broader debate over the continued use of terms like “Anglo-Saxon”, with some in academia alleging that the ethnonym is used to support “racist” ideas of a native English identity'
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/06/03/anglo-saxons-arent-real-cambridge-student-fight-nationalism/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Especially when at prayer

An Anglican at prayer? That’s just not plausible!
  • Options

Wut

Rather hypocritical of them to drive though?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I did. I thought it was right to do so. Businesses were really struggling for all the government help. People were losing their jobs. And the restrictions were largely pointless once all who wanted to be had been vaccinated.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

That is a problem for all politicians. We quite often have moral panics based on scant evidence where the press and public clamour for "something to be done".

A politician unable to either manage those expectations or to persuade to a more rational approach is lost. Unfortunately in the era of Populism they often are lost, which is why Populism is not a rational or effective political strategy.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?
    It makes most Tories Anglicans or Protestants certainly so you could make an argument arguing for the Tories to be mullered at the next election is indeed religious hate speech deserving of prosecution.

Remember too preservation of the Church of England as the established church ie a religious principles was one of the key principles which the Tory Party emerged to defend in the 18th century
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Wut

The one that made me chuckle was one of the twats who went up the Dartford crossing, he is UK national, but was flying in from Eastern Europe to take part in the demonstrations, and flew in for his court appearances.

Very eco.
  • Options

Wut

Electric car?
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?
    He is a practising Hindu. Winchester has an Anglican Chapel (three of them actually) but it doesn't impose any creed on its pupils.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

I did. I thought it was right to do so. Businesses were really struggling for all the government help. People were losing their jobs. And the restrictions were largely pointless once all who wanted to be had been vaccinated.
    EOTHO was 4 months before vaccination even started.

I supported some of my favourite pubs and restraints by eating outside, or getting takeaway. August was a lovely summer round here.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,660
    Another tinpot character cosplaying Churchill.

DeSantis: As president, I recognize that the woke mind virus represents a war on the truth so we will wage a war on the woke. We will fight the woke in education, we will fight the woke in corporations, we will fight the woke in the halls of congress.
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1665086349483835392
  • Options

DavidL said:

Wut

I don’t think they can. I’ve never seen one of them interviewed that shows any glimmer of scientific knowledge.
    Maybe a community payback order involving some subsistence farming might be in order.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Fair point on the businesses - something needed to be done. (When had the boffins basically worked out that outside with some distancing was basically safe?)

But August 2020- when EO2HO happened was before anyone had been vaccinated. It was like celebrating victory in the Battle of Britain with a lovely firework display.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
    geoffw said:

Great piece by Fraser Nelson on how Facebook works with government against the public interest

'The commercial incentive for me as an editor is now clear. By all means, publish articles about Philip Schofield, Ukraine, the royals – but steer clear of anything taking a critical view of government public health policy. That way you risk being “downrated” by Facebook. Academics fear being marked down as “sceptics” so they have an incentive to avoid the areas that need investigation the most.'

Mark Candymountain has more power than Murdoch, Hearst or Beaverbrook ever had

https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/06/02/facebook-power-no-transparency-silence-covid-dissent/

useful link, thank you

• Options
    edited June 2023

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Fair point on the businesses - something needed to be done. (When had the boffins basically worked out that outside with some distancing was basically safe?)

But August 2020- when EO2HO happened was before anyone had been vaccinated. It was like celebrating victory in the Battle of Britain with a lovely firework display.
    To be fair cases were low, but then we let people go on foreign holidays, mix with 100,000s of people from all over Europe and import delta strain.

It was far worse to have 1000s of people head to a metal hanger, sit there for hours, then get on a confined metal bird for several more hours, then spend 2 weeks getting pissed in bar, restaurants and nightclubs...then let them go and sit outside for the meal in small groups in the UK for an hour.

Delta would have got here, but the decision to allow foreign holidays turbo charged its importation spread widely across the whole of the UK.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?
    It makes most Tories Anglicans or Protestants certainly so you could make an argument arguing for the Tories to be mullered at the next election is indeed religious hate speech deserving of prosecution.

Remember too preservation of the Church of England as the established church ie a religious principles was one of the key principles which the Tory Party emerged to defend in the 18th century
    That is nonsense. Most Anglicans are not Christians and not all Christians are Tories. The correlation is so weak that it might well be non-existent.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?

That is nonsense. Most Anglicans are not Christians and not all Christians are Tories. The correlation is so weak that it might well be non-existent.

Nope, the definition of 'Tory' includes 'a member or supporter of a major British political group of the 18th and early 19th centuries favoring at first the Stuarts and later royal authority and the established church and seeking to preserve the traditional political structure and defeat parliamentary reform.'

So as its original purpose included maintaining the Anglican church as the established church calling for Tories to be 'mullered' is in my view religious hatred
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Tory

Your statement 'Most Anglicans are not Christians' is also illogical
  • Options
    HYUFD, come on mate, give it up
This discussion has been closed.