Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even CON voters think that ministers should provide all the COVID-19 messages – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:
    You're absolutely sure he was referring to Hillsborough? Innocent until proven guilty.
    99% of Manchester United fans have condemned this, they know what it refers to, and it isn't about the 2018/19 season.
    But do you know for sure? Innocent until proven guilty.
    The criminal standard in a courtroom is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. You are now asking for a higher standard of proof. TSE is gently suggesting that your doubt is not reasonable.
    Perhaps he’s calling the the Tories to be mullered at the next election. Even worse that they were in 97.

97 - not enough

Implausible, may be, but can it be ruled out?
    As a Tory I find that deeply offensive and threatening. If true I hope the police throw the book at him for this heinous crime
    I am not sure 'Toryism' is a protected characteristic for hate crime purposes: https://hatecrime.campaign.gov.uk
    Nor are supporters of a particular football club either
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,315
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Did anyone not take advantage of "Eat Out to Help Out"?

I did. I thought it was right to do so. Businesses were really struggling for all the government help. People were losing their jobs. And the restrictions were largely pointless once all who wanted to be had been vaccinated.
    EOTHO was 4 months before vaccination even started.

I supported some of my favourite pubs and restraints by eating outside, or getting takeaway. August was a lovely summer round here.
    My memory is letting me down or did we have more than 1 tranche of EOTHO?

I do remember the first summer of Covid being glorious. Ideal for long walks in the countryside. I got a lot fitter and even stopped drinking for several months to be ready for Covid which it seemed likely we would all catch eventually. It was another 18 months before I did though and by then some of the good work had been undone.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,852
    Nigelb said:

Another tinpot character cosplaying Churchill.

DeSantis: As president, I recognize that the woke mind virus represents a war on the truth so we will wage a war on the woke. We will fight the woke in education, we will fight the woke in corporations, we will fight the woke in the halls of congress.
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1665086349483835392

He really is an arsehole . And for a right wing nutjob to suggest that there’s woke mind virus war on the truth is astonishing . I hope Trump destroys him in the primaries . It’s a sad day when Trump looks the better alternative !
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,163

Government want to remove driving licenses from Just Stop Oil protestors.

Wut

Rather hypocritical of them to drive though?
    It’ll be great when hypocrisy is made illegal.
    Custodial sentences all round.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

DeSantis: As president, I recognize that the woke mind virus represents a war on the truth so we will wage a war on the woke. We will fight the woke in education, we will fight the woke in corporations, we will fight the woke in the halls of congress.

He really is an arsehole . And for a right wing nutjob to suggest that there’s woke mind virus war on the truth is astonishing . I hope Trump destroys him in the primaries . It’s a sad day when Trump looks the better alternative !
    There certainly is in many of our colleges and universities, De Santis is only saying what a lot of ordinary Americans think
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    edited June 2023
    Nigelb said:

What about fighting the woke on the beaches? Down here in Brighton they're very woke.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:
    You're absolutely sure he was referring to Hillsborough? Innocent until proven guilty.
    99% of Manchester United fans have condemned this, they know what it refers to, and it isn't about the 2018/19 season.
    The criminal standard in a courtroom is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. You are now asking for a higher standard of proof. TSE is gently suggesting that your doubt is not reasonable.
    Perhaps he’s calling the the Tories to be mullered at the next election. Even worse that they were in 97.

97 - not enough

As a Tory I find that deeply offensive and threatening. If true I hope the police throw the book at him for this heinous crime
    I am not sure 'Toryism' is a protected characteristic for hate crime purposes: https://hatecrime.campaign.gov.uk
    Religion is a protected characteristic and being a Tory was once almost indistinguishable from being an English Anglican
    Rishi is an Anglican?
    He went to Winchester, an Anglican school
    That doesn't make him an Anglican!
    It makes most Tories Anglicans or Protestants certainly so you could make an argument arguing for the Tories to be mullered at the next election is indeed religious hate speech deserving of prosecution.

Remember too preservation of the Church of England as the established church ie a religious principles was one of the key principles which the Tory Party emerged to defend in the 18th century
    That is nonsense. Most Anglicans are not Christians and not all Christians are Tories. The correlation is so weak that it might well be non-existent.

Nope, the definition of 'Tory' includes 'a member or supporter of a major British political group of the 18th and early 19th centuries favoring at first the Stuarts and later royal authority and the established church and seeking to preserve the traditional political structure and defeat parliamentary reform.'

So as its original purpose included maintaining the Anglican church as the established church calling for Tories to be 'mullered' is in my view religious hatred
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Tory

Your statement 'Most Anglicans are not Christians' is also illogical
    Oh, so you are claiming that Tories are sectarian bigots who still want to execute Unitarians for denying the triune nature of God?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

There certainly is in many of our colleges and universities, De Santis is only saying what a lot of ordinary Americans think
    De Santis is unhinged . And banning books is a very disturbing. He’s also got a really pathetic whiny voice !
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Religion is a protected characteristic and being a Tory was once almost indistinguishable from being an English Anglican
    Rishi is an Anglican?
    It makes most Tories Anglicans or Protestants certainly so you could make an argument arguing for the Tories to be mullered at the next election is indeed religious hate speech deserving of prosecution.

Remember too preservation of the Church of England as the established church ie a religious principles was one of the key principles which the Tory Party emerged to defend in the 18th century
    That is nonsense. Most Anglicans are not Christians and not all Christians are Tories. The correlation is so weak that it might well be non-existent.

Nope, the definition of 'Tory' includes 'a member or supporter of a major British political group of the 18th and early 19th centuries favoring at first the Stuarts and later royal authority and the established church and seeking to preserve the traditional political structure and defeat parliamentary reform.'

So as its original purpose included maintaining the Anglican church as the established church calling for Tories to be 'mullered' is in my view religious hatred

Oh, so you are claiming that Tories are sectarian bigots who still want to execute Unitarians for denying the triune nature of God?
    So now you are engaging in religious hatred too then!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?
    In which year did Rishi convert, then?
    "Be confirmed", I gather, is the posh terminology.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,701
    edited June 2023
    "Rowan Atkinson says he feels ‘duped’ by electric cars
    Actor says ‘honeymoon’ with them ‘is coming to an end’ and their day of ‘great environmental benefit’ has yet to dawn

The actor, who studied an electrical and electronic engineering degree, points out that although electric cars have zero emissions when on the road, their actual manufacture, according to research by Volvo, suggests greenhouse gas emissions during production are 70 per cent higher than petrol vehicles, in part due to the lithium-ion batteries which require “rare earth metals and huge amounts of energy” to create." (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/06/03/rowan-atkinson-duped-electric-cars/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/03/electric-vehicles-early-adopter-petrol-car-ev-environment-rowan-atkinson
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?

So now you are engaging in religious hatred too then!
    No, merely observiung its existence 200 years ago andf your claim to it. Your problem, chum, not mine.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

De Santis is unhinged . And banning books is a very disturbing. He’s also got a really pathetic whiny voice !
    First Meloni in Italy, next Spain where the conservative opposition ahead in the polls for July's Spanish general election have promised to reverse gender laws allowing over 16s to change gender without medical approval. Then maybe next DeSantis in the US and Badenoch here, the counter revolution against wokeism is also on the way
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,691
    Andy_JS said:

Actor says ‘honeymoon’ with them ‘is coming to an end’ and their day of ‘great environmental benefit’ has yet to dawn

The actor, who studied an electrical and electronic engineering degree, points out that although electric cars have zero emissions when on the road, their actual manufacture, according to research by Volvo, suggests greenhouse gas emissions during production are 70 per cent higher than petrol vehicles, in part due to the lithium-ion batteries which require “rare earth metals and huge amounts of energy” to create." (£)

See also: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/03/electric-vehicles-early-adopter-petrol-car-ev-environment-rowan-atkinson
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

I'm surprised - I didn't think there'd be so many ordinary Americans hanging out in Essex.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2023
    Andy_JS said:

There is another big hidden "cost" to EVs. Because they are 2-3x the weight of an ICE car, the road wear is significantly increased, as is tyre wear. We are all going to have to pay for the roads to be repaired more often, and making more tyres / more road construction isn't exactly green.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,691
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Nor are supporters of a particular football club either
    Good point. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, the idiot in question is charged with.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    The DM is becoming ever more desperate with its latest nonsense attack on Labour . Not helping its image as now just a joke paper which has an ever weakening grip on reality .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,315

Andy_JS said:

There is another big hidden "cost" to EVs. Because they are 2-3x the weight of an ICE car, the road wear is significantly increased, as is tyre wear. We are all going to have to pay for the roads to be repaired more often, and making more tyres / more road construction isn't exactly green.
    Didn’t realise that the differential was so great. Would have considerable consequences in the event of a high speed collision.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Andy_JS said:

The tyre graveyard in Kuwait is pretty dystopian as it is.

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845

Wut

Shouldnt just stop oil people welcome that?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Didn’t realise that the differential was so great. Would have considerable consequences in the event of a high speed collision.
    The weight of batteries required is crazy....hence why the government willing to throw billions at subsidiaries for gigafactories, as no car maker is going to transport batteries from Eastern Europe to Uk, in the way they might do with other components (regardless of Brexit rules).

Also hence why Tesla has the battery factory connected to the car factory.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,332
    Pagan2 said:

Wut

Depends if they drive electric vehicles.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Oh, well! At least Electric TRAINS don't need tyres :)
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Wut

It seems a just punishment to me, they stop peoples ability to drive whether electric or no so we restrict their ability likewise.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

I did. I thought it was right to do so. Businesses were really struggling for all the government help. People were losing their jobs. And the restrictions were largely pointless once all who wanted to be had been vaccinated.

I supported some of my favourite pubs and restraints by eating outside, or getting takeaway. August was a lovely summer round here.

I do remember the first summer of Covid being glorious. Ideal for long walks in the countryside. I got a lot fitter and even stopped drinking for several months to be ready for Covid which it seemed likely we would all catch eventually. It was another 18 months before I did though and by then some of the good work had been undone.
    EOTHO was a relatively short period of August and September 2020, and wasn't repeated.

Possibly things were different in Scotland in terms of lockdowns etc, but in England restrictions had ended, except in Leicester.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Oh, well! At least Electric TRAINS don't need tyres :)
    ev's are not 2 to 3 times the weight be sensible, unless they are ev tanks
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

EOTHO was a relatively short period of August and September 2020, and wasn't repeated.

Possibly things were different in Scotland in terms of lockdowns etc, but in England restrictions had ended, except in Leicester.

If this becomes THE big focus of the inquiry then its clearly political and not aimed at learning lessons. Its debatable if it was a good idea or not, but in the grand scheme of things there were so many other decisions that had far greater effects on covid rates and spread e.g. locking down too late, failure to close the borders, foreign holidays, the tier system, oldies from hospital to care homes / staff precautions at care homes, to name just a few.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    nico679 said:

The DM is becoming ever more desperate with its latest nonsense attack on Labour . Not helping its image as now just a joke paper which has an ever weakening grip on reality .

Why do you bother reading it if it upsets you

I do not read the morning star nor do I watch GB TV
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

97 - not enough

Rishi is an Anglican?

Belief in an omnipotent "God" is highly illogical!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451

Andy_JS said:

Tesla Model 3 - Curb weight 3,627 to 4,072 lbs
    Audi A4 - Curb weight 3,450 to 3,627 lbs
    BMW 3 series - 3,582 to 4,010 lbs
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,674

This too.

Another critical decision set to be investigated by Hallett was made in September 2020, when the government was urged by Sage to impose a mini-lockdown to dampen rising case numbers, with both Johnson and Sunak opposing the move. “I said then that the question was either do it now and get on top of the epidemic and keep it under control, or be forced into doing it in a few weeks’ time, by which time the epidemic will be much worse,” Edmunds said. “There will be many more hospitalisations and deaths, and you will have to take more stringent action. Unfortunately that is exactly what happened.”

This was always going to happen whenever you removed restrictions. The logic of the circuit breaker was false.
    It could’ve happened quicker or slower. With exponential growth, there’s a big difference.
  • Options
    quote "On average, an EV weighs 200-300kg more than a petrol car because of the weight of the battery and electric motors. However, a large petrol or diesel car weighs more than an average-sized EV"

source
    https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/motor/electric-car-myth-buster#:~:text=On average, an EV weighs,than an average-sized EV.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

The weight of batteries required is crazy....hence why the government willing to throw billions at subsidiaries for gigafactories, as no car maker is going to transport batteries from Eastern Europe to Uk, in the way they might do with other components (regardless of Brexit rules).

If carbon capture technology takes off, what will stop ICE looking like the superior technology?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Electric cars weigh a little more than the equipment ICE. Not 2 - 3 times.

The 2-3 times thing is a MAGA talking point by the way.
  • Options

nico679 said:

I only look at the front pages . The Daily Star has a better grip on reality than the DM .
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

It's not. Model S weight: ~2,000kg. 5 Series weight: ~1,700kg

2-3x is nonsense.
    What the weight of a small EV that still has range even vaguely similar of an equivlent small ICE? A small ICE is what < 1000kg
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Wut

It seems a just punishment to me, they stop peoples ability to drive whether electric or no so we restrict their ability likewise.
    It won't be enough to satiate tory blood-lust. People on here have amazingly detailed violent fantasies about XR/JSO protestors.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.
    @Dura_Ace's numbers are spot on.

BMW 5 Series Curb Weight is 1,695kg.
    Model S Curb Weight is 2,050kg.

So, around 20% heavier before passengers, etc. All in weight differential probably therefore around 15%.

Regarding manufacturing emissions: it's fine to measure those, but it is important to realise that over the 40,000 miles your car will drive, 98% of all emissions will come from the tailpipe, not from the manufacturing process.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.
    What the weight of a small EV?
    Not 2-3x the weight of a small ICE car.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Wut

It won't be enough to satiate tory blood-lust. People on here have amazingly detailed violent fantasies about XR/JSO protestors.
    Tories dont have enough bloodlust but then they have no imagination, if it was down to me I would set a steam roller heading towards people that glue themselves to the road. The film rights would cover the cost of the steam roller fuel
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.
    What the weight of a small EV that still has range even vaguel similar of an equivlent small ICE?
    You won't find any EVs - except possibly the Model 3 LR - that will match an ICE for range yet.

But the gap is shrinking. Gen 2 electric cars - Tesla Roadster / Nissan Leaf / etc - had real world range of perhaps 150 miles. Gen 3 cars - like the original Model S - took it to 220 miles. And the latest vehicles are probably north of 300.

An equivalent ICE is still going to be able to get 400 miles.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Wut

Though I did laugh when Emma Thompson, after encouraging Extinction Rebellion protests, had her access to Northolt airfield withdrawn.

Which meant she couldn’t fly back to LA in her private jet. But had to slum it on a plane with other passengers.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.
    What the weight of a small EV that still has range even vaguely similar of an equivlent small ICE? A small ICE is what < 1000kg
    The Chevy Bolt is around 1,550 kg, and has range of 250 miles.

It's still nowhere near 2x the weight.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.
    What the weight of a small EV that still has range even vaguel similar of an equivlent small ICE?
    You won't find any EVs - except possibly the Model 3 LR - that will match an ICE for range yet.

But the gap is shrinking. Gen 2 electric cars - Tesla Roadster / Nissan Leaf / etc - had real world range of perhaps 150 miles. Gen 3 cars - like the original Model S - took it to 220 miles. And the latest vehicles are probably north of 300.

The point is lots of people ICE cars, smallish / medium cars are more like 1000kg. If i want an EV that has something that has any sort of decent range like a Tesla is 2000kg.

Even 1.5x for most (when a lot of people have very small light ICE cars), there is still a hidden cost of higher road damage / tyre wear.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Wut

Though I did laugh when Emma Thompson, after encouraging Extinction Rebellion protests, had her access to Northolt airfield withdrawn.

Which meant she couldn’t fly back to LA in her private jet. But had to slum it on a plane with other passengers.
    Is Emma Thompson really rich enough to fly transatlantic (and to the West Coast) by private jet?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So some scientists apparently say it was wrong for the government to try and help restaurants and cafes to get some much needed income after the winter lockdown via 'Eat Out to help out' in summer 2020. Apart from the most austere socialists I would imagine anyone who might even consider voting Tory will probably take Sunak's side on that, as will the hospitality industry
    The hospitality industry could have been given financial support in some other way. No scientific advice was saying, “Don’t support the hospitality industry financially.” The question is whether they could have been supported in some other way without having the same impact on case numbers.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

The point is lots of people ICE cars, smallish / medium cars are more like 1000kg. If i want an EV that has something that has any sort of decent range like a Tesla is 2000kg.
    But then you're not comparing like-for-like for carrying capacity. A Model 3 is a decent sized car; it's certainly not comparable size-wise with a Mazda MX-5.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

Even 1.5x, there is still a hidden cost of higher road damage / tyre wear.
    https://weightofstuff.com/10-cars-that-weigh-around-1000-kg-kilogram/

"the Fiat 500 just weighs 1142kg."

• Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Our colleges and universities are teaching different things to what you believe. That doesn’t mean they’re fighting a “war on truth”. It could be that academics studying a field have updated that field since you were at school.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

When I visit our family in Lossiemouth (454 miles) my BMW 520 diesel will not only get there but will return to Perth (107 miles) and still have fuel in the tank
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Our colleges and universities are teaching different things to what you believe. That doesn’t mean they’re fighting a “war on truth”. It could be that academics studying a field have updated that field since you were at school.
    Towards a leftist interpretation of history and culture in particular yes
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So some scientists apparently say it was wrong for the government to try and help restaurants and cafes to get some much needed income after the winter lockdown via 'Eat Out to help out' in summer 2020. Apart from the most austere socialists I would imagine anyone who might even consider voting Tory will probably take Sunak's side on that, as will the hospitality industry
    The hospitality industry could have been given financial support in some other way. No scientific advice was saying, “Don’t support the hospitality industry financially.” The question is whether they could have been supported in some other way without having the same impact on case numbers.
    'Some other way' ie even more borrowing or extra taxes to fund support
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

That list seems to consist of cars people cant afford or wont drive who the hell would buy a fiat 500. Hell my motorcycles were bigger than that engine wise
  • Options
    edited June 2023

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

When I visit our family in Lossiemouth (454 miles) my BMW 520 diesel will not only get there but will return to Perth (107 miles) and still have fuel in the tank
    Yes, ICE cars will always have the edge when it comes to range. But there's diminishing utility here. It's dead easy to add another 100 miles to a petrol car's range. But how much better is a car that goes 700 miles between a top-up and one that goes 800 miles?
  • Options
    A

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

Even 1.5x for most (when a lot of people have very small light ICE cars), there is still a hidden cost of higher road damage / tyre wear.
    A Nissan Leaf is 1600kg, and is often compared with a Ford Fiesta, which is 1200kg
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.
    The fully electric Kia eniro has a range (genuine-as I have one) of 285 miles, and is about 400kg heavier than the 1.6 hybrid version with the same body.

Incidentally mine is on its original tyres still at 22 000 miles. While heavier than the regular Niro there is less abrupt braking because of the regenerative engine braking system that charges the battery and traction control.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

First Meloni in Italy, next Spain where the conservative opposition ahead in the polls for July's Spanish general election have promised to reverse gender laws allowing over 16s to change gender without medical approval. Then maybe next DeSantis in the US and Badenoch here, the counter revolution against wokeism is also on the way
    DeSantis wants thought police and to harass gay people. Is that what you want here?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Wut

Is Emma Thompson really rich enough to fly transatlantic (and to the West Coast) by private jet?
    What does the rich list say?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

That list seems to consist of cars people cant afford or wont drive who the hell would buy a fiat 500. Hell my motorcycles were bigger than that engine wise
    I'm just pointing out that "smallish / medium cars" do not weigh 1000kg, given that the Fiat 500 is 1,142kg, and that is definitely nowhere near medium sized.
  • Options

A

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

A Nissan Leaf is 1600kg, and is often compared with a Ford Fiesta, which is 1200kg
    I dont think anyone is saying at the small end ev's aren't heavier just questioning the 2 to 3 times figure, as cars get bigger the source I linked implied ev's actually become lighter so its swings and roundabouts
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    DavidL said:

Wut

Not far enough. They should also be banned from using natural gas, plastics and pharmaceutical products made from hydrocarbons, at least until they stop being so f******* stupid.
    It would give them a headache - and they wouldn't be able to take asprin to relieve it :)
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

I'm just pointing out that "smallish / medium cars" do not weigh 1000kg, given that the Fiat 500 is 1,142kg, and that is definitely nowhere near medium sized.
    Ford Focus is about 1300-1400kg....so lets say 1.5x rather than 2x.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

Yes, ICE cars will always have the edge when it comes to range. But there's diminishing utility here. It's dead easy to add another 100 miles to a petrol car's range. But how much better is a car that goes 700 miles between a top-up and one that goes 800 miles?
    Just convenience

I do look smug as I drive north and see all these evs charging or waiting in a queue to charge, if they can even find a charging point

Additionally my BMW is ULEZ exempt due to its low emissions
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Wut

I know lots of really rich people (as in £250m+ net worths). Hardly any of them ever fly super long-distance by private jet. Round Europe for $25,000, sure. But something with the 13 hour range required to reach LA from London is going to be $20,000 per hour. So you could easily be looking at $300,000 all-in.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

Shouldn’t you compare that with something like @Foxy’s electric Kia (see above) ?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.
    The fully electric Kia eniro has a range (genuine-as I have one) of 285 miles, and is about 400kg heavier than the 1.6 hybrid version with the same body.

Incidentally mine is on its original tyres still at 22 000 miles. While heavier than the regular Niro there is less abrupt braking because of the regenerative engine braking system that charges the battery and traction control.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/electric-car-tyres-are-growing-source-of-air-pollution-28276fmdp
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

The (weight) gap is clearly a lot larger for small cars than for bigger ones. (Albeit the weight of passengers as a percentage of the total is going to level the playing field a bit too.)
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

It doesn't actually have a 500cc engine, that's just your privilege talking. It was called the 500 to try and harness some of the cachet from the original 500/Topolino - which started with a 569cc engine.

The new 500 is BEV only and the 'modern' (2007+) 500 came with various engines from 0.9 to 1.4 turbo.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Does a leftist interpretation mean mentioning that slavery existed and that gay people exist?

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Wut

I know lots of really rich people (as in £250m+ net worths). Hardly any of them ever fly super long-distance by private jet. Round Europe for $25,000, sure. But something with the 13 hour range required to reach LA from London is going to be $20,000 per hour. So you could easily be looking at $300,000 all-in.
    I no longer go to my local Asda as it's £5 on the bus.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

Shouldn’t you compare that with something like @Foxy’s electric Kia (see above) ?
    Well its the trade off range vs space. Juat looked up and says model like for like its extra 300kg, but range is currently far inferior, particularly for small EVs (so if you want decent range you need a bigger / heavier car).

Willing to stand corrected on too general claim of 2x too large.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

2-3x is nonsense.

It doesn't actually have a 500cc engine, that's just your privilege talking. It was called the 500 try and harness some of the cachet from the original 500/Topolino - which started with a 569cc engine.

The new 500 is BEV only and the 'modern' (2007+) 500 came with various engines from 0.9 to 1.4 turbo.
    My privilege? really I sold my car 15 years ago and havent driven one since and my bikes the following year and havent driven a bike since either. Where does my privelege come in. And even at 569 cc the point remains as my bikes were 750cc and 2.3 l
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Does a leftist interpretation mean mentioning that slavery existed and that gay people exist?

Nobody has never denied the former, it is trashing Churchill, an obsession with slavery (which the RN played a key part in ending) a trashing of the past and a pursuance of a Marxist view of history against so called western imperialism and cultural supremacy the right is fighting back against in the next phase of the culture wars. Gay history is old news it is trans history now
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EOTHO cost a lot of money. The budget for that could’ve been spent differently. No extra borrowing or taxes required.

Of course, the extra cases of COVID-19 cost money in terms of lost productivity and healthcare costs. A proportion of those cases have gone on to be Long COVID, with further lost productivity and healthcare costs, all requiring more borrowing or extra taxes.
  • Options
    Atkinsons point (and he has had an electric car for nearly a decade) is that it is better environmentally to extend the life of an old ICE car than trade in for the latest fashion. I bought mine only when my previous vehicle was scrap

I think that it depends overall on how many miles travelled. For low milage people, probably the lifetime carbon is less with an ICE.

Incidentally electric cars are much nicer to drive, being smooth and powerful, with fast acceleration. It really isn't a hair shirt experience. I cannot recall a time in the last 3 years where I wanted to drive more than 280 miles without a break long enough for me to recharge as well as the vehicle.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    What are the odds on Ukraine picking 6 June as a date for the counter offensive?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Nobody has never denied the former, it is trashing Churchill, an obsession with slavery (which the RN played a key part in ending) a trashing of the past and a pursuance of a Marxist view of history against so called western imperialism and cultural supremacy the right is fighting back against in the next phase of the culture wars. Gay history is old news it is trans history now
    I’d rather a historical view of Churchill than the hagiographical one you appear to want.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Foxy said:

Atkinsons point (and he has had an electric car for nearly a decade) is that it is better environmentally to extend the life of an old ICE car than trade in for the latest fashion. I bought mine only when my previous vehicle was scrap

I think that it depends overall on how many miles travelled. For low milage people, probably the lifetime carbon is less with an ICE.

Incidentally electric cars are much nicer to drive, being smooth and powerful, with fast acceleration. It really isn't a hair shirt experience. I cannot recall a time in the last 3 years where I wanted to drive more than 280 miles without a break long enough for me to recharge as well as the vehicle.

If you're not "into" cars and don't tow a 3,500kg caravan to Thurso every weekend and I don't know why anybody would not have a BEV. They are a much superior end-user experience to ICE cars for most people most of the time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

I think the problem with slavery (so far as I can tell) is acknowledging that it existed outside of the transatlantic slave trade 1500 - 1900.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

nico679 said:

I caught HY reading the Morning Star, not a fortnight ago. As I recall the article he posted was a well written and thoughtful piece.

There is a comedy element to GB News, particularly the characature figure played by Dan Wootton. He makes up lots of outrageous stories about the Sussexes, although now he is wholly enveloped by Philip Schofield.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

That really is a bizarre caricature of the modern world. Don't disappear down the same rabbit hole that Plato did.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

That really is a bizarre caricature of the modern world. Don't disappear down the same rabbit hole that Plato did.
    Is Plato's rabbit hole not like Plato's cave?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

My camera does it scant justice but there is a stunningly beautiful moon visible tonight from Cannock at least. Must be near the perigee and I think the dust is turning it yellow.

I just got a new phonerecently - the Galaxy S23 Ultra. These days I choose phones as much for the camera as the rest of it. In this case it has a 200 megapixel camera and I use it to its limits. Two photos taken today. One of that same moon and one of a Common Blue butterfly in the meadow. First of the year for me

• Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EOTHO cost a lot of money. The budget for that could’ve been spent differently. No extra borrowing or taxes required.

Of course, the extra cases of COVID-19 cost money in terms of lost productivity and healthcare costs. A proportion of those cases have gone on to be Long COVID, with further lost productivity and healthcare costs, all requiring more borrowing or extra taxes.
    The first point, compared to the fraud / wastage & all the other spurging (e.g. furlough went on far too long)., it was a drop in the ocean for an industry that would have needed propping up regardless.

The second, there were infinite ways you could get COVID if you returned to going outside and socialising, and going in holiday etc. If it wasn't a restaurant, people were still meeting up in groups regardless. Cases were low at the time, but the foreign holiday season imported and seeded Delta widely across the UK, just in time for new school year.

I personally don't think the scheme was a brilliant idea, but on the list of mistakes it is well down the list.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

It certainly isn't some extremist position, it is what most conservatives and rightwingers across the western world feel now and indeed increasingly many non aligned centrists too
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

If you're not "into" cars and don't tow a 3,500kg caravan to Thurso every weekend and I don't know why anybody would not have a BEV. They are a much superior end-user experience to ICE cars for most people most of the time.
    I’ve been in an EV towing a couple of tons. The hit on range was surprisingly small.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

I think the problem with slavery (so far as I can tell) is acknowledging that it existed outside of the transatlantic slave trade 1500 - 1900.
    I don't think anyone denies that, but it is often used as a bit of whataboutary to excuse our role in the transatlantic slave trade and slavery's central place in our emergence as a world power.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

An unpopular view but I will state it, a lot knock plato for what she posted. Yes she did disappear down a rabbit hole but what she posted did show how trump voters were thinking and it was valuable betting grist. I was never quite sure if she posted it because she believed or she posted it because she was saying this is what these people believe
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

An unpopular view but I will state it, a lot knock plato for what she posted. Yes she did disappear down a rabbit hole but what she posted did show how trump voters were thinking and it was valuable betting grist. I was never quite sure if she posted it because she believed or she posted it because she was saying this is what these people believe
    The enthusiasm gap between the two campaigns in 2016 was enormous. Trump is often underrated as a showman.
  • Options

nico679 said:

I caught HY reading the Morning Star, not a fortnight ago. As I recall the article he posted was a well written and thoughtful piece.

There is a comedy element to GB News, particularly the characature figure played by Dan Wootton. He makes up lots of outrageous stories about the Sussexes, although now he is wholly enveloped by Philip Schofield.
    Every time I see Dan Wootton’s name, I am reminded of Woolton Pie.

What does this say about me?
  • Options

nico679 said:

It says you consider him a vegetable?
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Is Plato's rabbit hole not like Plato's cave?
    One is small but near. The other is big, but far away….
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

When they can get me from Lincolnshire to Aberdeen in under 8 hours including stops then I will very happily have one. Currently my diesel - which cost me £500 second hand - can get me there on about 3/4s of a tank.

I am actually looking forward to having one. I like just about everything about them. But not until they are a reasonable price second hand and can easily do a 400 mile trip without having to recharge.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    The attitude i could never fanthom during covid was, there is a lockdown / change in tier coming in 2-3 days, must make the most of it and go out on the town etc....if there was a lockdown coming, its because cases are already really high (regardless if they haven't shown up yet in the daily figure).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

I don't think anyone denies that, but it is often used as a bit of whataboutary to excuse our role in the transatlantic slave trade and slavery's central place in our emergence as a world power.
    No it isn't. I admit it's mainly an American cultural import but people increasingly have very little idea that slavery existed outside the transatlantic slave trade. It increasingly seems to be being taught as some kind of aberration in which blacks were transported to America. I don't want to be rude but you are of the older generation. How in touch are you with the youth of today - outside of flagellating christians?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

nico679 said:

Or something about futile gestures that are rejected by everyone?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

It certainly isn't some extremist position, it is what most conservatives and rightwingers across the western world feel now and indeed increasingly many non aligned centrists too
    Right wingers yes but not most conservatives who are simply not on your page
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

nico679 said:

Or something about futile gestures that are rejected by everyone?
    Now you are thinking about the legal system
This discussion has been closed.