Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Support for Britain becoming a republic reaches new high – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tories surge ahead of Labour in Bluewall southern seats in new Redfield poll.

The Tories are now on 40% in the Bluewall with Labour on 34% and the LDs 22% and Sunak leads Starmer by a big 10% margin as preferred PM, a 3% swing from Starmer to Sunak since the last poll. The poll was taken after Sir Keir said he would push for more developments in the greenbelt while Sunak's government has abandoned housing targets
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12125185/Conservatives-surge-ahead-Labour-Blue-Wall-seats-time-Rishi-Sunak-PM.html

Go-one, read-read that article, admit that you misread it and got the figures wrong, and give us the true figures. The poll does not say that the Conservatives lead Labour by 6% in those "blue wall" seats. I have never known you admit that you were wrong on anything here, so your response is awaited with baited breath.
    It DID give those figures when the article was originally posted.

Nonetheless the Tories have still taken the lead for the first time since Sunak became PM in a Redfield bluewall seats poll AND Sunak also now leads Starmer by 10% as best PM in the bluewall poll after Starmer's announcement of his greenbelt development plans
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12124857/Tories-polling-lead-Blue-Wall-seats-time-Rishi-Sunak-PM.html?ico=related-replace
    It's little commented upon, except by you and @AndyJS , but now the locals are out the way the Tories do seem to be trending back up to the previous mean.
    Remember Labour only got 35% NEV on May 4th, in 1995 at the equivalent electoral cycle Blair's New Labour got 47% NEV.

Many of those who voted Independent or LD locally will return to the Tories at the general election I believe
    The Tories have a thousand ready and willing activists whose time has been freed from the drudgery of office and are ready to start chapping the doors. A master-stroke from Rishi.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Many successful species have "pair bonds", which are equivalent in many ways to human marriages. Presumably pair bonds evolved, and have persisted, because they make it more likely that healthy offspring will be produced, that parents will invest in their offspring, rather than abandoning them.

I think we should learn from those successes, and make marriage rules that are best for children.

Marriage isn't (just) about children. It's never been just about children. We should broadly let people do what they want if they aren't hurting anybody.
    It's about betrayal of someone you love and care for deeply. That what's important to me.

The trouble is it's challenging to remain absolutely faithful, 100%, to the same partner for your entire life when it's only human to be sexually attracted to other people. Sometimes strongly.

Occasionally that bubble bursts, and then it gets complicated.
    I think you missed my point and it's largely my fault. I mean that our view of marriage shouldn't be guided by thinking only about childrearing because marriage is about much more than that; for some people children are not possible or not wanted but marriage is still something that should be available to them, and we shouldn't be prescriptive about marriage to the point of excluding those people.

As for the difficulties of fidelity, I don't want to boast about my appearance too much but thanks to my looks I've been saved from many a situation where lesser men would have been presented with an opportunity.
    In fact, when it comes to good looks, I'm in the top 90% :lol:
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,673

kjh said:

Just back from my brother in law's wake. Nice event in a pub in Walberswick. Sign of getting old. In the last two months losing my dad (96) and now my brother in law (66).

I am so sorry to hear your news and send you my deepest sympathy at this sad time

My son in law and his sister have lost both their father and mother (their father 2 days after his 90th) in the last 12 months and his sister also has just lost her life partner at a similar age to your brother in law

Life is precious and as an old uncle who was dying of cancer coined the phrase 'why should a breathing man complain '
    Thanks Big G. My dad had a long life and we weren't that close, but my wife has taken the death of her brother badly. It was fairly sudden.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Re. Phillip Schofield it's hard to feel much sympathy for him given what he did in that interview with David Cameron back around 2012.

As the old saying goes, what goes around comes around...

He was virtually deified for coming out as gay, and his poor wife barely got a look in.

The consistent pattern of behaviour with him is he's a perennial liar.
    Worse, he's a pisspoor presenter, and always was.
    Not always, he was quite good on CBBC with Gordon the Gopher
    Gordon the Gopher carried him. Much like Morecambe carried Wise.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

The Vatican also opposes 'no fault divorce' as do some socially conservative, pro traditional family Tory MPs.

It is hardly that extreme a position
    People who wish to divorce, or have done, would presumably disagree
    They are entitled to their view, the strongly religious to theirs which is marriage should be between one man and one woman for life
    They are entitled to their view. But not to impose their view on someone else

They are in strongly religious states like Texas
    No, they are not.

Passing a law means they are legally allowed to. That does not mean they are entitled to.
    Well tough, if secular liberals choose to live in a very religious state like Texas they have to accept the fact it has a Republican Governor and Legislature, voted for Trump and is strongly socially conservative and will pass socially conservative laws
    “Choose to live”. I guess that secular liberals who can’t move just have to lump it then.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    I think the issue with Schofield is the mendaciousness of his Coming Out PR.

I agree this is a non-story and that it is up to Schofield who he shags. The trouble is that people smell a rat behind the public image.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories are now on 40% in the Bluewall with Labour on 34% and the LDs 22% and Sunak leads Starmer by a big 10% margin as preferred PM, a 3% swing from Starmer to Sunak since the last poll. The poll was taken after Sir Keir said he would push for more developments in the greenbelt while Sunak's government has abandoned housing targets
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12125185/Conservatives-surge-ahead-Labour-Blue-Wall-seats-time-Rishi-Sunak-PM.html

Go-one, read-read that article, admit that you misread it and got the figures wrong, and give us the true figures. The poll does not say that the Conservatives lead Labour by 6% in those "blue wall" seats. I have never known you admit that you were wrong on anything here, so your response is awaited with baited breath.

Nonetheless the Tories have still taken the lead for the first time since Sunak became PM in a Redfield bluewall seats poll AND Sunak also now leads Starmer by 10% as best PM in the bluewall poll after Starmer's announcement of his greenbelt development plans
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12124857/Tories-polling-lead-Blue-Wall-seats-time-Rishi-Sunak-PM.html?ico=related-replace
    It's little commented upon, except by you and @AndyJS , but now the locals are out the way the Tories do seem to be trending back up to the previous mean.
    Remember Labour only got 35% NEV on May 4th, in 1995 at the equivalent electoral cycle Blair's New Labour got 47% NEV.

Many of those who voted Independent or LD locally will return to the Tories at the general election I believe
    The Tories biggest adversary is the Can't Be Arsed Party. Getting those who have defected to them back to the fold is the challenge.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Re. Phillip Schofield it's hard to feel much sympathy for him given what he did in that interview with David Cameron back around 2012.

He was virtually deified for coming out as gay, and his poor wife barely got a look in.

Harsh on Wise. Straight men play a key role in a double act.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories biggest adversary is the Can't Be Arsed Party. Getting those who have defected to them back to the fold is the challenge.
    Those people gave Blair two landslides before drifting slowly and unevenly back to the Conservatives between 2005 and 2019.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Just back from my brother in law's wake. Nice event in a pub in Walberswick. Sign of getting old. In the last two months losing my dad (96) and now my brother in law (66).

I am so sorry to hear your news and send you my deepest sympathy at this sad time

My son in law and his sister have lost both their father and mother (their father 2 days after his 90th) in the last 12 months and his sister also has just lost her life partner at a similar age to your brother in law

Life is precious and as an old uncle who was dying of cancer coined the phrase 'why should a breathing man complain '
    Thanks Big G. My dad had a long life and we weren't that close, but my wife has taken the death of her brother badly. It was fairly sudden.
    I am sorry to hear that

I was returning from the French alps with my wife and 3 children in August 1980, and as soon as we landed back in the UK I phoned my mother to ask how they were

My mother asked where we were and when I said near London she said my father had taken ill last night

When I asked how he was she broke down and said he died suddenly in my arms at six o'clock

It was quite the worst phone call of my entire life and the drive home to Llandudno was terrible with all of us so distressed

Love and best wishes to your wife and family
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313

I think the issue with Schofield is the mendaciousness of his Coming Out PR.

I agree this is a non-story and that it is up to Schofield who he shags. The trouble is that people smell a rat behind the public image.

I think there is the element of grooming about it too. In other contexts it would be strongly called out.
    I.e. 16 year old girl asks for help getting into my Uni. I help out, she turns up, stays friendly with me and then I embark on an affair with her. Nothing illegal, but bot right, at least in my eyes.
    Schofield is a massive hypocrite and liar, and for that alone his career is done.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Nicholas Parsons was Arthur Haines' straight man. Parsons was arguably more comedic than Haines.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Gordon was a straight gopher?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,085
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

The Vatican also opposes 'no fault divorce' as do some socially conservative, pro traditional family Tory MPs.

They are entitled to their view, the strongly religious to theirs which is marriage should be between one man and one woman for life

No, they are not.

Passing a law means they are legally allowed to. That does not mean they are entitled to.
    Well tough, if secular liberals choose to live in a very religious state like Texas they have to accept the fact it has a Republican Governor and Legislature, voted for Trump and is strongly socially conservative and will pass socially conservative laws
    Tyranny of the majority is no basis for a stable democracy.

Personally I don’t think that Christ was ok with people stoning the woman taking in adultery. It’s the same with divorce: let he (or she) who is without sin cast the first stone
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    HYUFD said:

'Police are investigating former Pink Floyd bassist Roger Waters after he wore what appeared to be a Nazi SS uniform during a recent concert in Germany.

Performing at Berlin's Mercedes-Benz Arena on May 17, Mr Waters was seen wearing a long black overcoat with a red armband.

He also aimed an imitation machine gun into the audience.

Displaying Nazi symbols, flags and uniforms is prohibited in Germany.

However, its laws do allow exceptions for artistic or educational reasons.

"We are investigating on suspicion of incitement to public hatred because the clothing worn on stage could be used to glorify or justify Nazi rule, thereby disturbing the public peace," said police spokesman Martin Halweg.

"The clothing resembles the clothing of an SS officer," he added.'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65725902

Waters does seem to have gone a bit nutty but the Floyd were playing around with that sort of imagery 40 years ago.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Like Rishi to BoJo.
    Sadly. They flounder when put in the big chair.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Schofield will need support and soon. Whatever he has done, he needs support at such a time. I hope his friends do not desert him.

Agree, but he has money that will help him get/buy support. He is not a victim. I hope the other party, and both of their families, also get some support, as the press/media will be all over them.

At the very very best, Schofield abused his position and power.
    I do find it hard to get my head around the fact he is getting his career terminated for doing stuff many years ago that was pretty normal in the workplace - an affair with a younger colleague. It was not illegal. Is the problem that it was a man and not a woman? He has said he lied as well, but he is a TV presenter and not a politician or public servant.

There is a strong whiff here of people making moral judgements about what consenting adults get up to in their free time. It feels like we are going back to the 1950s.
    It was with his direct report. That’s an issue.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,571

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Nicholas Parsons was Arthur Haines' straight man. Parsons was arguably more comedic than Haines.
    And the same for his many years chairing Just a Minute. It takes comic nous to be the straight man.

(The original plan for Just a Minute was to have Professor Jimmy Edwards in the chair. It would have been a very different show, and probably not one with legs. David Hatch was a bloody genius.)

Not sure we can forgive him Sale of the Century though.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Fast X is the dumbest, loudest, stupidest film I've ever seen.

I quite enjoyed it.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,010
    How much longer must we endure this ridiculous amount of media attention on the non-entity Schofield.

Enough already !!!
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,799

darkage said:

Schofield will need support and soon. Whatever he has done, he needs support at such a time. I hope his friends do not desert him.

Agree, but he has money that will help him get/buy support. He is not a victim. I hope the other party, and both of their families, also get some support, as the press/media will be all over them.

I do find it hard to get my head around the fact he is getting his career terminated for doing stuff many years ago that was pretty normal in the workplace - an affair with a younger colleague. It was not illegal. Is the problem that it was a man and not a woman? He has said he lied as well, but he is a TV presenter and not a politician or public servant.

There is a strong whiff here of people making moral judgements about what consenting adults get up to in their free time. It feels like we are going back to the 1950s.
    is it any different to having an affair with your secretary?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

And the same for his many years chairing Just a Minute. It takes comic nous to be the straight man.

(The original plan for Just a Minute was to have Professor Jimmy Edwards in the chair. It would have been a very different show, and probably not one with legs. David Hatch was a bloody genius.)

Loved Just a minute. And Brain of Britain. And I'm Sorry I haven't a clue - all the things you hear when your Mum
    doesn’t want to miss the beginning of The Archers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I never found Jimmy Edwards remotely funny. A good Tory as I recall. Parsons of course was a Liberal.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I never found Jimmy Edwards remotely funny. A good Tory as I recall. Parsons of course was a Liberal.
    Tories made bad comedians, in general.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    nico679 said:

How much longer must we endure this ridiculous amount of media attention on the non-entity Schofield.

Enough already !!!

Absolutely but watch them go on for days about him

Our media is in a bad place when they centre on 'gossip' stories at the expense of people's real lives
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

No. That’s also a sackable offence (and has been for 20+ years)
  • Options

nico679 said:

Enough already !!!

Our media is in a bad place when they centre on 'gossip' stories than people's real lives
    Well, this is a first, Mckenzie I agree with you
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2023
    Evening all, interesting bit of news for today. According to Dieter Helm, that Oxford analyst I remember being quoted somehere, if interest rates reach 5% then the water companies will need propping up by government.

If the government has to pump huge amount of taxpayers' money to deal with their leveraged private equity mess, without getting any further public accountability or control, the public anger over dirty rivers and appalling management of many things will be look like a walk in the park for them, compared.
  • Options
    There are a lot of very possibly bad events coming for the Government. I would not want to be Rishi Sunak, man has been dealt a bad hand.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790

darkage said:

darkage said:

And would probably win an unfair dismissal claim in that case.
  • Options

Evening all, interesting bit of news for today. According to Dieter Helm, that Oxford analyst I remember being quoted somehere, if interest rates reach 5% then the water companies will need propping up by government.

If the government has to pump huge amount of taxpayers' money to deal with their leveraged private equity mess, without getting any further public accountability or control, the public anger over dirty rivers and appalling management of many things will be look like a walk in the park for them, compared.

They could pump huge amounts of raw sewage into them instead.
    Karma.
  • Options

Listening to Bloomberg today they say that inflation is not under control in the US and much higher rates are required from the Fed

They said this will lead to recession in the US much as Hunt intimated today
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited May 2023

Oooh. That is a big danger for the tories. I assumed the water companies debt was fixed and very very long term. I did a google news search for dieter helm and couldn’t see anything? Do you have a link?

Pondering further Hunts comments today - I wonder at what point Baileys position becomes untenable?
  • Options

Listening to Bloomberg today they say that inflation is not under control in the US and much higher rates are required from the Fed

Inflation is always stickier than blithely predicted.
    Wage demands are going to be huge next year to make up for falling real wages.
    It's not called a vicious circle for nothing.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

I quite enjoyed it.

The trailers for those films have looked entirely indistinguishable to me for at least the last 3 or 4 in the franchise.

There's a bridge, a big cargo plane, cars driving over the edge of a thing into the air, a big explosion, and lots of shots of a man quickly changing gears looking intense.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The figures you quoted were wrong. They've been around for a couple of days now, you should try checking the source or even wiki before quoting any poll. And having quoted the wrong figures on the this site, you still can't bring yourself to correct them. Typical.

So let me do so for you. R&W Blue Wall seats. Con 34%, Lab 33%, LD 22%.

Labour is challenging in half those seats, so the Labour vote will be concentrated there and the LD vote squeezed. The LDs are challenging in the other half, so the LD vote will be highly concentrated there and the Lab vote squeezed. And the Conservatives are defending all of the seats, so their vote will be fairly evenly spread. The Conservatives will be behind in all or nearly all of those seats.
  • Options
    Absolute f-ing binfire at work today.
    Thank Christ it's half term.
  • Options

I quite enjoyed it.

The trailers for those films have looked entirely indistinguishable to me for at least the last 3 or 4 in the franchise.

There's a bridge, a big cargo plane, cars driving over the edge of a thing into the air, a big explosion, and lots of shots of a man quickly changing gears looking intense.
    They've got slowly worse and worse but kind of more tongue in cheek. They've definitely reached the point where physics doesn't exist, though.

Fast 7 made me cry at the end. The best is still Five IMHO.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

I doubt it. In most cases it’s gross misconduct to have an affair with someone who’s compensation you can influence.
  • Options

There are a lot of very possibly bad events coming for the Government. I would not want to be Rishi Sunak, man has been dealt a bad hand.

Don't feel too sorry for Rishi.

Whilst most of the political choices which caused the incoming problems would have happened anyway, Rishi didn't exactly oppose them.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

nico679 said:

Enough already !!!

Our media is in a bad place when they centre on 'gossip' stories at the expense of people's real lives
    You spent a month edging yourself over Starmer's curry.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    dixiedean said:

In the legal world wage increases seem to have slowed right down to below inflation due to the seemingly impending recession.
  • Options
    MayfairMayfair Posts: 16
    dixiedean said:

Yes big pain for mortgage holders to come here. Gilt yields back to where they were round the truss debacle.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790

FF43 said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

I doubt it. In most cases it’s gross misconduct to have an affair with someone who’s compensation you can influence.
    It might be designated as such by company policy but as people have a right to a private life including forming consensual relationships, I think the company would have to demonstrate the relationship was damaging the company or the workspace. Or to put another way, the company can manage the situation, for example by moving the staff concerned so they no longer report to each other, but that doesn't give them the right to automatic dismissal.

Having said that, there are others on here who know far more about this than I do.
  • Options
    Will we see a recession here do we think?
  • Options
    Mayfair said:

dixiedean said:

Yes big pain for mortgage holders to come here. Gilt yields back to where they were round the truss debacle.
    Someone called Mayfair complaining about mortgage prices? Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go.

Welcome
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Mayfair said:

dixiedean said:

Why is that?

My fixed-rate comes to an end in February 2024. Genuinely think I will need to sell unless I can go interest-only for a year or so.
  • Options

If Hunt/Sunak get their way, yes.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Especially when one of the factors behind the politics of 2016-9 was the expectation that wages could be driven up. Which they can, but it's not helpful if prices go up faster.

Talking of which, the rumour is that the Teacher pay review body has suggested a 6.5% rise. That's both way more than the government has budgeted for and not really enough to tempt teachers out of the woodwork.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/pay-review-body-recommends-6-5-rise-for-teachers/
  • Options

What do you think about Bailey? What do you think IR’s should be?

I haven’t kept up with the Trussite narrative, although iirc Kate Andrews on the specie pod seemed to have a negative opinion of him.
  • Options

I see no need for the government to bail out the water companies and their shareholders in those circumstances.

They can be renationalised for next to nothing if they're all but bust anyway.

• Options

dixiedean said:

Especially when one of the factors behind the politics of 2016-9 was the expectation that wages could be driven up. Which they can, but it's not helpful if prices go up faster.

Talking of which, the rumour is that the Teacher pay review body has suggested a 6.5% rise. That's both way more than the government has budgeted for and not really enough to tempt teachers out of the woodwork.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/pay-review-body-recommends-6-5-rise-for-teachers/
    The big question is TA's and other support staff, if they remain on minimum wage. We already can't get any. They're leaving and not being replaced.
    Let alone anyone half competent.
    It's a bigger issue for me than my pay.
    Can't do the job without them.
  • Options
    ping said:

I haven’t kept up with the Trussite narrative, although iirc Kate Andrews on the specie pod seemed to have a negative opinion of him.
    Kate Andrews is awful
  • Options
    Anyone feel sorry for webuyanycar.com.
  • Options
    Mayfair said:

Anyone feel sorry for webuyanycar.com.

They sacked him off ages ago.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 648
    dixiedean said:

Absolute f-ing binfire at work today.
    Thank Christ it's half term.

Have a good break, sorry it was so bad at school for you
  • Options
    I think we all need to be careful of comments about Scholfield and no doubt the moderators will be concerned
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

It might be designated as such by company policy but as people have a right to a private life including forming consensual relationships, I think the company would have to demonstrate the relationship was damaging the company or the workspace. Or to put another way, the company can manage the situation, for example by moving the staff concerned so they no longer report to each other, but that doesn't give them the right to automatic dismissal.

Having said that, there are others on here who know far more about this than I do.
    Here’s a recent example

https://www.marketscreener.com/amp/quote/stock/ZOETIS-12482719/news/Zoetis-Inc-Announces-Termination-of-Glenn-David-as-Executive-Vice-President-and-Group-President-U-42929012/
  • Options

I think we all need to be careful of comments about Scholfield and no doubt the moderators will be concerned

He's a wrong-un is what he is.
  • Options

Honestly twitter is a firestorm about schofield now. Theres much worse going round.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,960

ONLY IF SIR KEER stormer wins. Otherwise it will just be the normal economic cycle, or something.
  • Options

The thing is Horse, avoiding a technical recession by fractional growth mean jack s***. We need the inflation figure to reduce dramatically without mortgage foreclosures. We need to suppress spending without businesses failing. Succeeding in both or either will be a measure of Sunak and Hunt's dark artistry.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited May 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The figures you quoted were wrong. They've been around for a couple of days now, you should try checking the source or even wiki before quoting any poll. And having quoted the wrong figures on the this site, you still can't bring yourself to correct them. Typical.

So let me do so for you. R&W Blue Wall seats. Con 34%, Lab 33%, LD 22%.

Labour is challenging in half those seats, so the Labour vote will be concentrated there and the LD vote squeezed. The LDs are challenging in the other half, so the LD vote will be highly concentrated there and the Lab vote squeezed. And the Conservatives are defending all of the seats, so their vote will be fairly evenly spread. The Conservatives will be behind in all or nearly all of those seats.
    No they weren't wrong actually, those were literally the figures the Mail quoted so if anyone was wrong it was them not me.

And yes it is STILL the first time the Tories lead in the bluewall seats in a Redfield poll since Sunak became PM and STILL a 10% lead for Sunak as preferred PM over Starmer in the bluewall too. Many voters who might have considered voting LD will therefore now vote Tory to keep Starmer out and Sunak in. No matter how much you want to quibble
  • Options
    Mayfair said:

Honestly twitter is a firestorm about schofield now. Theres much worse going round.
    This forum is not twitter
  • Options

The thing is Horse, avoiding a technical recession by fractional growth mean jack s***. We need the inflation figure to reduce dramatically without mortgage foreclosures. We need to suppress spending without businesses failing. Succeeding in both or either will be a measure of Sunak and Hunt's dark artistry.
    We can avoid recession if we admit 1 million immigrants next year.
  • Options

I see no need for the government to bail out the water companies and their shareholders in those circumstances.

Welsh water to give us all a £10 discount for misreporting leaks

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/05/welsh-water-10-payment-bill-credit/
  • Options

We avoided one danger point over last winter, in very large part by the government throwing very large sums of money at us all.

As to the side effects of that, search me guv, but they don't look good.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

Personally I don’t think that Christ was ok with people stoning the woman taking in adultery. It’s the same with divorce: let he (or she) who is without sin cast the first stone
    So democracy is OK so long as it supports social liberalism, the moment it doesn't democracy is not OK then on that basis.

Restricting divorce is also not the same as stoning adulterers and you know it
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Bob Monkhouse?

" When I was younger I said I wanted to be a comedian. Everyone laughed at me. No one's laughing now!"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

So democracy is OK so long as it supports social liberalism, the moment it doesn't democracy is not OK then on that basis.

My dad commented to me today that he no longer supported democracy as he doesnt believe it works. Many are now talking like this. No tough decisions can be made.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/05/welsh-water-10-payment-bill-credit/
    What? You mean I can earn £10 a pop for misreporting a leak?

What’s Welsh waters phone number, again?
  • Options
    Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

My dad commented to me today that he no longer supported democracy as he doesnt believe it works. Many are now talking like this. No tough decisions can be made.
    Representative democracy still works, mainly general elections only every 4 or 5 years. Direct democracy and regular divisive referendums however doesn't on the whole
  • Options
    ping said:

What? You mean I can earn £10 a pop for misreporting a leak?
    Did you read the article I posted?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

Yes he cheated on his wife, yes he shouldn't have lied about it but the man he had an affair with was legally an adult at the time and beyond Schofield losing his role at ITV it is nobody else's business now but his
    No wrong. By all accounts he groomed him from when he was about 11. He was also in a position of power over him. This is not like him meeting a 25 yr old already out gay guy at work. Ive seen a video of him having a private lunch with the boy when he looked about 16.
    So? Unless he had sex with him before 18 it was still not illegal
    Ok so a man gets a young girl of 16 a job as a runner then has cosy private lunches with her before having sex with her 2 years later. Thats not illegal either but any man doing that in the current climate would be hung out to dry.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

Representative democracy still works, mainly general elections only every 4 or 5 years. Direct democracy and regular divisive referendums however doesn't on the whole
    Yet divisive referendums are fine so long as their decision is never questioned?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    dixiedean said:

Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

Has the Saturday morning shift started early?
    I was going to say the same thing

• Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

Yet divisive referendums are fine so long as their decision is never questioned?
    It took over 3 years for Parliament to even agree to implement the 2016 EU referendum result, which tells you everything about how pointless and divisive referenda are
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

According to a friend who is on the standup circuit, a fair few comedians are closet Tories who don't dare to come out because they will never be booked again if they do.

He is conservative himself but keeps his set studiously apolitical.
  • Options
    Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

I was wondering when you would reveal your true colours.

Must be tough working the night shift in St Petersburg.
  • Options
    Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

Yes he cheated on his wife, yes he shouldn't have lied about it but the man he had an affair with was legally an adult at the time and beyond Schofield losing his role at ITV it is nobody else's business now but his
    No wrong. By all accounts he groomed him from when he was about 11. He was also in a position of power over him. This is not like him meeting a 25 yr old already out gay guy at work. Ive seen a video of him having a private lunch with the boy when he looked about 16.
    So? Unless he had sex with him before 18 it was still not illegal
    Ok so a man gets a young girl of 16 a job as a runner then has cosy private lunches with her before having sex with her 2 years later. Thats not illegal either but any man doing that in the current climate would be hung out to dry.
    Again, not illegal, even if ill advised
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

The point is many believe democracy no longer works mainly because tough decisions cant be made. Wasnt it Plato who said democracy always disdolves into dictatorship. Since we have had universal suffrage so far times have been mainly good so democracy hasnt been tested yet. Lets face it politicians making decisions by focus groups only arouses contempt.
  • Options
    I knew from post one that Mayfair was a Russian bot
  • Options
    edited May 2023

I’m not sure that’s fair. I can’t disprove your theory, but people with Mayfair’s type of views aren’t that unusual in Britain.

Once again, can I link PBers to this excellent essay;

https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    edited May 2023
    The Post Office Inquiry witness evidence videos are surprisingly interesting to watch in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/@postofficehorizonitinquiry947/videos
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    ping said:

I'm not up with the Trussite narrative either - I supported what she tried to do, but I don't read her output avidly. Kwasi seems to be making the rounds atm, don't know why.

I think interest rates should be calibrated to avoid recession. There is nothing inherently econonically beneficial about a recession - the ECB, BOE and Fed seem to want one, so that's where they're going to try and take us.

These people are all singing from the same extremely political hymnsheet, so my feelings about the competency of Andrew Bailey, or Rishi Sunak, or Jeremy Hunt, are somewhat moot - none of them is going to defy the general narrative of going for a deeply damaging recession, whatever their personal intelligence or work ethic - indeed the less good they are at their job the better.

• Options

Just because your paranoid doesnt mean they aint out to get you. By the way on the topic of russia the youth over there are full on behind Putin and see themselves as under siege by the west.
  • Options
    Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

What's the weather like in Moscow?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

It works well in Switzerland, where the politicians accept that the people run the show.
  • Options

ping said:

I'm not up with the Trussite narrative either - I supported what she tried to do, but I don't read her output avidly. Kwasi seems to be making the rounds atm, don't know why.

I think interest rates should be calibrated to avoid recession. There is nothing inherently econonically beneficial about a recession - the ECB, BOE and Fed seem to want one, so that's where they're going to try and take us.

These people are all singing from the same extremely political hymnsheet, so my feelings about the competency of Andrew Bailey, or Rishi Sunak, or Jeremy Hunt, are somewhat moot - none of them is going to defy the general narrative of going for a deeply damaging recession, whatever their personal intelligence or work ethic - indeed the less good they are at their job the better.

The one good thing about recessions is they reintroduce the concept of risk.
  • Options
    Mayfair said:

Just because your paranoid doesnt mean they aint out to get you. By the way on the topic of russia the youth over there are full on behind Putin and see themselves as under siege by the west.
    Perhaps I’ve been somewhat naive…
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Mayfair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

What's the weather like in Moscow?
    I expect a P45 will be delivered soon
  • Options
    Mayfair said:

ping said:

The one good thing about recessions is they reintroduce the concept of risk.
    But that's like saying that disease is good because it makes you not want to catch a disease again. It's hardly a silver lining.
  • Options
    ping said:

Mayfair said:

Perhaps I’ve been somewhat naive…
    I hate to say I was right
  • Options
    I like how the Russian bot's avatar is blue and yellow. Slava Ukraini my friend.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Mayfair said:

The subtlety here is the equivalent of walking into a wall
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Democracy is alive and well in the UK. Everyone on here from the UK will accept the result of the next election, whatever it is.
  • Options
    I would like to kniw why there are si many perverts in the west. Too much gay propganda perhaps.
  • Options
    Time to call it a day

Tomorrow is another day with an early bath beckoning for one new poster

Good night folks
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Democracy is alive and well in the UK. Everyone on here from the UK will accept the result of the next election, whatever it is.

I hope so. I have fears some on the nutty side of the Tory Party will pretend Keir Starmer isn't fit to be PM.
This discussion has been closed.