Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Support for Britain becoming a republic reaches new high – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

I havent claimed to be the top 90% is one of my all-time favourite self owns. I really, honestly laughed out loud.

because you are a drooling idiot your village is wondering where you are
    Can I be up next, use your best insult
    We have traded insults back and forth....when I have ever claimed though that I am more intelligent than most or earn more than most or richer than most. How does that suddenly translate into claiming I am not in the top 90% to indicate that I am higher than that? Which is what the other poster is implying. Yes more politically aware than most and I think that applies to most that post here because the majority of the country never thinks about politics.

Sorry not to call you anything and disappoint you
    Dear Dear is it attack Pagan day
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,350

GIN1138 said:

Re. Phillip Schofield it's hard to feel much sympathy for him given what he did in that interview with David Cameron back around 2012.

As the old saying goes, what goes around comes around...

He was virtually deified for coming out as gay, and his poor wife barely got a look in.

The consistent pattern of behaviour with him is he's a perennial liar.
    Worse, he's a pisspoor presenter, and always was.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    I went to America, went to a horse show, and I saw a horse that glowed in the dark.

I think it was rodeo-active.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    FF43 said:

Jeremy Hunt proposing to use GP surgery patients to test drugs and fund the health service.

Patients are cheaper than rats apparently.

https://twitter.com/alanvibe/status/1662007863336747008

Those against animal testing would probably be supportive of that idea. Who cares about humans anyway?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    GIN1138 said:

Once Charles screws up tyere

GIN1138 said:

Re. Phillip Schofield it's hard to feel much sympathy for him given what he did in that interview with David Cameron back around 2012.

My boy Dave handled it so well.
    He did actually. What Schofiled and This Morning did on that interview was disgraceful. Dave handled it great (as he tended to do with most things... But then he could also have the most bizarre screw up - like HMQ purrrrrrrring down the phone)

Dave could have been one of the all time great PMs since WWII but there were just too many screw ups and too many risks taken that in the end he ran out of road.

A shame.
    He could have been great if it weren't for the total screw ups... Hmm. I admit I did think he was quite good point at one point. Personable and moderate. Being an empty vessel is what told in the end. We always knew that but somehow ignored it. There's no there there with Cameron.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

True, and from all accounts he does not seem a particularly likeable human being.

There is also something distasteful about a much older man who had direct authority over his 'lover' having such an affair. Yes, it happened in the past but that didn't make it right.

Having said that, just leave him alone now. He has admitted it, his career is in ruins.

Indeed! Lets hope it doesn't end up in another Caroline Flack type tragedy...
    He is a jumped up fcukwit, a vain pompous clown. He deserves all he gets.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    edited May 2023
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

He did actually. What Schofiled and This Morning did on that interview was disgraceful. Dave handled it great (as he tended to do with most things... But then he could also have the most bizarre screw up - like HMQ purrrrrrrring down the phone)

Dave could have been one of the all time great PMs since WWII but there were just too many screw ups and too many risks taken that in the end he ran out of road.

A shame.
    David Cameron could not have been one of our greatest Prime Ministers. It is not even a matter of screw-ups. In his time as LotO, the Conservatives were working for years on new policies so they could hit the ground running, yet when it came to it, no-one in the Cabinet knew WTF Lansley was up to with his NHS changes, and IDS's Universal Benefit was undermined by the Chancellor.

Cameron was our worst Prime Minister since Lord North. He lost Europe. He almost lost Scotland.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.
    Took a gamble oscore n the EU and lost, not targeted enough on some cuts, and some other stuff, but if you set the EU stuff to one side (he did tell us not to do it), he was decent. I appreciate most cannot put it aside.
    I liked him, but when you look at record he has to finish fairly well down the league table.

He has to take a large chunk of responsibility for the Great EU FU. He did of course score some wins. Gay Marriage will go down to his eternal credit, but generally he was a bit 'meh' at best.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.
    Took a gamble on the EU and lost, not targeted enough on some cuts, and some other stuff, but if you set the EU stuff to one side (he did tell us not to do it), he was decent. I appreciate most cannot put it aside.
    Cameron was not a great pm he had no vision he just thought he might be quite good at it....he was fucking wrong
    Hug a Tory :lol:
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Dave is an ardent monarchist!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,139

GIN1138 said:

He was virtually deified for coming out as gay, and his poor wife barely got a look in.

Talk about his coming out reminds me of Barry Humphries' appearance on This Morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j05aITNM4qo
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,917
    edited May 2023
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

True, and from all accounts he does not seem a particularly likeable human being.

There is also something distasteful about a much older man who had direct authority over his 'lover' having such an affair. Yes, it happened in the past but that didn't make it right.

Having said that, just leave him alone now. He has admitted it, his career is in ruins.

Evening Malc :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.
    David Cameron could not have been one of our greatest Prime Ministers. It is not even a matter of screw-ups. In his time as LotO, the Conservatives were working for years on new policies so they could hit the ground running, yet when it came to it, no-one in the Cabinet knew WTF Lansley was up to with his NHS changes, and IDS's Universal Benefit was undermined by the Chancellor.

Cameron was our worst Prime Minister since Lord North. He lost Europe. He almost lost Scotland.
    I think you're being a little harsh but over to @TheScreamingEagles to debate this one 😂
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248
    HYUFD said:

Tories surge ahead of Labour in Bluewall southern seats in new Redfield poll.

The Tories are now on 40% in the Bluewall with Labour on 34% and the LDs 22% and Sunak leads Starmer by a big 10% margin as preferred PM, a 3% swing from Starmer to Sunak since the last poll. The poll was taken after Sir Keir said he would push for more developments in the greenbelt while Sunak's government has abandoned housing targets
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12125185/Conservatives-surge-ahead-Labour-Blue-Wall-seats-time-Rishi-Sunak-PM.html

You do realise these are seat Labour came third in last time, right?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    edited May 2023
    Off topic

Should I be concerned by the current gilt market chaos?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    What happened in the Schofield interview svp.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.

He wasn't even our worst PM in the last decade, Liz Truss wins that crown by a mile, let alone since Lord North!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,571

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.
    Took a gamble oscore n the EU and lost, not targeted enough on some cuts, and some other stuff, but if you set the EU stuff to one side (he did tell us not to do it), he was decent. I appreciate most cannot put it aside.
    I liked him, but when you look at record he has to finish fairly well down the league table.

He has to take a large chunk of responsibility for the Great EU FU. He did of course score some wins. Gay Marriage will go down to his eternal credit, but generally he was a bit 'meh' at best.
    Probably still preferable to any of his sucessors.

He has to take responsibility for the EU FU, sure. And he introduced the idea of "tens of thousands" into the migration debate, which has stunk out the room ever since. (Where did that come from? What, if anything, was he thinking?)

Set against that, a lot of alternative Conservative PMs would have stuggled with the whole coalition thing, and that brought stability that was needed at the time.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories are now on 40% in the Bluewall with Labour on 34% and the LDs 22% and Sunak leads Starmer by a big 10% margin as preferred PM, a 3% swing from Starmer to Sunak since the last poll. The poll was taken after Sir Keir said he would push for more developments in the greenbelt while Sunak's government has abandoned housing targets
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12125185/Conservatives-surge-ahead-Labour-Blue-Wall-seats-time-Rishi-Sunak-PM.html

Not all, they include seats like Wycombe, Cities of London and Westminster and Watford where Labour are the main challengers and the LDs had high hopes of taking many of them too
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,960

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.

I wouldn't say he was worse than Liz - but her time was so short it's hard to give a review that's more than 'Hi bye'. But as 'people I think of as being Prime Minister' (which excludes Liz) - he's certainly the worst.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790

FF43 said:

Jeremy Hunt proposing to use GP surgery patients to test drugs and fund the health service.

It’s how we came up with the Covid vaccines.
    Were "financial incentives offered to GPs who carry out community drugs and treatment trials on their patients." for Covid vaccines?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    malcolmg said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

I havent claimed to be the top 90% is one of my all-time favourite self owns. I really, honestly laughed out loud.

because you are a drooling idiot your village is wondering where you are
    Can I be up next, use your best insult
    We have traded insults back and forth....when I have ever claimed though that I am more intelligent than most or earn more than most or richer than most. How does that suddenly translate into claiming I am not in the top 90% to indicate that I am higher than that? Which is what the other poster is implying. Yes more politically aware than most and I think that applies to most that post here because the majority of the country never thinks about politics.

Sorry not to call you anything and disappoint you
    Dear Dear is it attack Pagan day
    Shrugs is it not always, keep being told I am to angry then you look at the country and see its heading for the dustbin and people are saying vote for more of the same. Yes I get angry with them because most are here are likely unaffected.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Those against animal testing would probably be supportive of that idea. Who cares about humans anyway?
    I don’t imagine patients will be compelled to take part, any more than they are now.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,139

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.

Blair cast a long shadow over the Conservative party. After the complete failure of the Hague/IDS years they seemed to lose all sense of purpose and just reverted to wanting to win for its own sake.
  • Options
    'Police are investigating former Pink Floyd bassist Roger Waters after he wore what appeared to be a Nazi SS uniform during a recent concert in Germany.

Performing at Berlin's Mercedes-Benz Arena on May 17, Mr Waters was seen wearing a long black overcoat with a red armband.

He also aimed an imitation machine gun into the audience.

Displaying Nazi symbols, flags and uniforms is prohibited in Germany.

However, its laws do allow exceptions for artistic or educational reasons.

"We are investigating on suspicion of incitement to public hatred because the clothing worn on stage could be used to glorify or justify Nazi rule, thereby disturbing the public peace," said police spokesman Martin Halweg.

"The clothing resembles the clothing of an SS officer," he added.'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65725902
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,960
    GIN1138 said:

And he dumped Gordon the Gopher to further his career. A cad of the highest order.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

What happened in the Schofield interview svp.

He tried to "out" several people from the Conservative Party who were wrongly being accused online of being involved in a Westminster Pedophile ring.

He was lucky he wasn't sued honestly...

EDIT: He didn't name them but he had their names written down on a piece of paper he tried to hand to Cameron while challenging him on them... Some of the names were clearly visible on camera.

He and ITV knew exactly what they were doing...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Not always, he was quite good on CBBC with Gordon the Gopher
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,085
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

The Vatican also opposes 'no fault divorce' as do some socially conservative, pro traditional family Tory MPs.

It is hardly that extreme a position
    People who wish to divorce, or have done, would presumably disagree
    They are entitled to their view, the strongly religious to theirs which is marriage should be between one man and one woman for life
    They are entitled to their view. But not to impose their view on someone else

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Not always, he was quite good on CBBC with Gordon the Gopher
    Well…

https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1659933472851472388
  • Options

But the story does seem to imply Schofield was allegedly involved with a much younger man, am I allowed to say that?

The story is now in the public realm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65729361
    Was this not public knowledge when he came out?
    Some much older man befriends much younger employee and eventually turns into a sexual relationship? There’s a word for that.
    Grooming.
    Groom Gupboard with Gordon the Gopher.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The article seems toi say the figures are 34-33-22, not 40-34-22?

Meanwhile, the national figures are 47-30-9.
    Looking at the change since the start of the year, as Redfield & Wilton poll the Bluewall twice monthly, the Conservatives are up 4%, Labour down 7% and Lib Dems up 1%. This is broadly comparable to the national position. So no evidence that greenbelt and housing is causing a differential movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#Redfield_&_Wilton_Strategies_2
    I would say a 3% swing from Labour to Conservative in the bluewall since the last poll is pretty strong evidence that Starmer's greenbelt development plans bombed there
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,571
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Not all, they include seats like Wycombe, Cities of London and Westminster and Watford where Labour are the main challengers and the LDs had high hopes of taking many of them too
    True, but the 2019 baseline for these seats was C50 LD27 Lab21. Reassuringly, the Mail seem to have corrected the article, to have C34 Lab33 as the topline scores. (Reassuring, because that was the Blue Wall poll R+W published yesterday.)

Less bad for the blue team than at the Truss trough, but still pretty bad.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

The Vatican also opposes 'no fault divorce' as do some socially conservative, pro traditional family Tory MPs.

They are entitled to their view, the strongly religious to theirs which is marriage should be between one man and one woman for life

They are in strongly religious states like Texas
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

I don’t imagine patients will be compelled to take part, any more than they are now.
    I’d certainly volunteer to be part of a clinical trial.

And I’m no Tory supporter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

"And thus spake Sunil unto his PB Disciples, 'Know ye that the Lord God never married the mother of His only begotten son!'"

• Options

Farooq said:

I do wish this old canard of the Royals being a drain on the public purse would be put to rest. If the Crown's private income were taxed like anyone else and the Crown were left to pay for its own upkeep, it would generate far LESS for the government than currently, since ALL the Crown's income goes straight to the Exchequer and only a fraction of it is drawn out for running costs - i.e. the Sovereign Grant. The funding for the Sovereign Grant is about 15% of the profits from the Crown Estate. Essentially the Crown pays 85% tax!.

Can we please stop telling lies about the Crown's 'cost'. The Crown costs us nothing.

The Crown Estate should be nationalised. Then we could keep all the profits.
    The Crown Estate *is* nationalised. Has been for centuries. Osborne's settlement to hand over 15% to the royals was absurdly generous at the time, and even more so that the Crown Estate is raking it in from offshore wind power.
    It’s only temporary at that level - to fund a backlog of maintenance at Buck House mainly. Plus the royals don’t get to keep it - it’s for expenses incurred in work (although they do get the benefit of, say, a decent clothes allowance and tied housing)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

And, as I said earlier, the figures in the article are not 40-34, but 34-33.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    HYUFD said:

Go-one, read-read that article, admit that you misread it and got the figures wrong, and give us the true figures. The poll does not say that the Conservatives lead Labour by 6% in those "blue wall" seats. I have never known you admit that you were wrong on anything here, so your response is awaited with baited breath.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Just when you thought the Post Office scandal couldn't get any worse.

Post Office admits racism after calling suspects ‘negroid types’

Investigators in the Horizon IT scandal were given a list of classifications for postmasters who ended up being wrongly prosecuted

The Post Office told its fraud investigators to racially classify potential suspects, including “negroid types”, during the company’s false prosecution spree.

It later apologised and admitted that the “unacceptable” language, contained in guidance published between 2008 and 2011, was “racist”.

Between 1999 and 2015 more than 700 postmasters, the owner-managers who own local post office branches, were wrongly prosecuted for crimes such as theft, fraud and false accounting. In fact the missing money was caused by dozens of bugs in the Post Office’s £1 billion IT system....

...Internal guidance has revealed that its investigators were asked to categorise suspects as “negroid types”, “dark skinned European types”, “white skinned European types”, documents showed. The other groups included in the report are “Indian/Pakistani types”, “Chinese/Japanese types” and “Arabian/Egyptian types”, the guidance on how to fill out the covering form for case files revealed. In each case the categories are given sub-groups, for example the list “West Indian, Nigerian, African, Caribbean, etc” appears beside “negroid”.

Teju Adedayo, 59, a married mother of three who was given a one-year suspended sentence for false accounting and theft in 2006, said: “It’s absolutely disgusting, I cried when I saw this document. This shows they were racist. It’s something I’ve suspected for a very long time, but I didn’t have evidence to back it up. They were collecting this data to obviously distinguish how they were going to treat people. It’s unbelievable.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/post-office-admits-racism-after-calling-suspects-negroid-types-k79wlxqnt
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

The voters of Texas are entitled to elect the legislators they wish. All societies shape family life by legislation. There is nothing especially religious about the shaping of marriage law. Non religious people form relationships, make commitments, have children and care for them. Stuff goes wrong and needs sorting. Gosh. Humans are shaping a universal fact of society and life.

• Options

Investigators in the Horizon IT scandal were given a list of classifications for postmasters who ended up being wrongly prosecuted

The Post Office told its fraud investigators to racially classify potential suspects, including “negroid types”, during the company’s false prosecution spree.

It later apologised and admitted that the “unacceptable” language, contained in guidance published between 2008 and 2011, was “racist”.

Between 1999 and 2015 more than 700 postmasters, the owner-managers who own local post office branches, were wrongly prosecuted for crimes such as theft, fraud and false accounting. In fact the missing money was caused by dozens of bugs in the Post Office’s £1 billion IT system....

...Internal guidance has revealed that its investigators were asked to categorise suspects as “negroid types”, “dark skinned European types”, “white skinned European types”, documents showed. The other groups included in the report are “Indian/Pakistani types”, “Chinese/Japanese types” and “Arabian/Egyptian types”, the guidance on how to fill out the covering form for case files revealed. In each case the categories are given sub-groups, for example the list “West Indian, Nigerian, African, Caribbean, etc” appears beside “negroid”.

Teju Adedayo, 59, a married mother of three who was given a one-year suspended sentence for false accounting and theft in 2006, said: “It’s absolutely disgusting, I cried when I saw this document. This shows they were racist. It’s something I’ve suspected for a very long time, but I didn’t have evidence to back it up. They were collecting this data to obviously distinguish how they were going to treat people. It’s unbelievable.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/post-office-admits-racism-after-calling-suspects-negroid-types-k79wlxqnt

Greetings, my fellow "Indian/Pakistani type"!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

GIN1138 said:

His wife should have just transitioned, and solved the problem herself.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

HYUFD said:

Go-one, read-read that article, admit that you misread it and got the figures wrong, and give us the true figures. The poll does not say that the Conservatives lead Labour by 6% in those "blue wall" seats. I have never known you admit that you were wrong on anything here, so your response is awaited with baited breath.
    It DID give those figures when the article was originally posted.

Nonetheless the Tories have still taken the lead for the first time since Sunak became PM in a Redfield bluewall seats poll AND Sunak also now leads Starmer by 10% as best PM in the bluewall poll after Starmer's announcement of his greenbelt development plans
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12124857/Tories-polling-lead-Blue-Wall-seats-time-Rishi-Sunak-PM.html?ico=related-replace
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Greetings, my fellow "Indian/Pakistani type"!
    I prefer to think of myself as superficially brown.

H/T Rupa Huq.
  • Options
    Yes he cheated on his wife, yes he shouldn't have lied about it but the man he had an affair with was legally an adult at the time and beyond Schofield losing his role at ITV it is nobody else's business now but his
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Evening Gin, all well with you
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes he cheated on his wife, yes he shouldn't have lied about it but the man he had an affair with was legally an adult at the time and beyond Schofield losing his role at ITV it is nobody else's business now but his
    Adulterers should lose their job.

Starting with that Charles Windsor fella.
  • Options

Off topic

Whole market is crap just now, down another 20K this week, dire.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

HYUFD said:

Being King isn't a job though, and now he's King it's hard to agree. (I quite like my head where it is.)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Off topic

It will come back, Malc, when the GoP stop effing about but that might be a little while yet.

Have faith/
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

darkage said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

Divorce without grounds in quite new to Scotland, and very new to England.

More or less all western systems required grounds, reasons, for divorce until recently.

Texas is entitled to take its own view, and is accountable to Texas voters.

Are they by the way going to make it harder for women than for me? (Which the Old Testament does). I suspect that's why Jesus taught against the Old Testament line.

Most sane people would like divorce (like abortion) to be legal and rare. I doubt if this can be legislated for even in texas.
    Marriage means different things to different people. Trying to enforce an essentially religious idea of marriage on a disinterested and largely non-religious population is a completely hopeless cause. The 'no fault' rules are reflective of the worldview of an atomised society.
    I don’t think there’s anything especially religious about the view that spouses should take their sworn obligations to each other very seriously. No fault divorce conflicts with that.

It says quite a bit about us, as a society, and nothing good, that breach of a commercial contract attracts a greater legal penalty than breach of one’s marriage vows.

No fault divorce is not about a breach of contract, though, is it? It’s about 2 parties to a contract mutually wishing to terminate that contract. That’s allowed in commercial contracts, isn’t it?
    No. The point about no fault divorce is that one of two parties can unilaterally decide the position without any reference at all to the thoughts of the other. The other party's rights are entirely obliterated. That is what 'no fault divorce' is.

Personally I think in our sort of society this is unavoidable, but in human and philosophical terms it's horrendous.
    OK, thanks for the explanation.

When you say the other party’s rights are obliterated… their rights to what? To be married to someone who doesn’t want to be married to them? What would you suggest the unhappy spouse should be obliged to do, specifically?
    I’ve not particularly thought of it in these terms, but say you have significant wealth created during the marriage

I’m not sure that a no fault divorce should necessarily result in the same economic division as where there is fault on one side
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited May 2023
    malcolmg said:

Off topic

Feel sorry for those who didn’t understand the bond market and piled into inxg last summer. Iirc, this was “IshmaelZ” s investment strategy.
  • Options

Paula Vennels should be locked up now and not released until she can prove she is innocent.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That would also mean JFK, Bill Clinton, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, John Prescott, Lloyd George, Robin Cook, half of Holywood and the Premier League and many top business people also lost their jobs. Charles was an adulterer he isn't now and no evidence he cheated on Camilla
  • Options
    ping said:

malcolmg said:

Off topic

Feel sorry for those who didn’t understand the bond market and piled into inxg last summer. Iirc, this was “IshmaelZ” s investment strategy.
    bong=bond?

The bond markets are almost impenetrable (newswise) to small investors.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    ping said:

viewcode said:

But the story does seem to imply Schofield was allegedly involved with a much younger man, am I allowed to say that?

The story is now in the public realm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65729361
    Was this not public knowledge when he came out?
    Some much older man befriends much younger employee and eventually turns into a sexual relationship? There’s a word for that.
    Grooming.
    That's probably unfair. IIUC the other man was over the age of consent when he met him. Although he did abuse his work position and hurt his wife, he didn't actually break the criminal law. Happy to be corrected if I've missed something

I do think there’s something in the complaint that is sometimes aired by (mainly) women, that the gay marriage/gay rights, “yippee” patting ourselves on the back thingy that we did in the last decade or so, and a pile of people came out and divorced/left their partners, well it left their partners feeling a bit lost and unfairly treated.

Liberal society congratulated the newly out people (some of whom apparently had no moral framework at all, when seeking out new partners) and kinda forgot about the ex-partners left behind who were left to figure out wtf happened to their life.
    Liberal society views such people as heroic.

Attitudes towards heroism vary, it must be said.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

Paula Vennels should be locked up now and not released until she can prove she is innocent.
    When is she going to be questioned?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,990
    Why is Philip Schofield leading the news on both BBC and Sky?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,990

She didn't take over until 2012.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Because there's nothing the news organisations like more than being the news in some way themslves. I genuinely didn't know who PS was until a couple of weeks ago.
    (Edit:And was better off that way)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,627

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.

Europe was British?

Sheesh. Now I wish I'd voted Remain.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.

Unfair

Portland, Percival, Melbourne, Roseberry, Balfour, Macdonald, Baldwin, Chamberlain, Eden, MacMillan, Home, Heath, Brown, Johnson, May were worse.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.

Lord Goderich was way, way worse than Lord North.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

Because there's nothing the news organisations like more than being the news in some way themslves. I genuinely didn't know who PS was until a couple of weeks ago.
    It would take a heart of stone, not to be moved to laughter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That would also mean JFK, Bill Clinton, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, John Prescott, Lloyd George, Robin Cook, half of Holywood and the Premier League and many top business people also lost their jobs. Charles was an adulterer he isn't now and no evidence he cheated on Camilla
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

It's very confusing for me as I have a very good friend and former colleague called Phillipp Schofield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillipp_Schofield

We used to get him to pose with a gopher for the History society poster adverts and say 'come along to our meetings and see Phillipp Schofield with Gordon the Gopher.'

This doesn't look such a smart idea with hindsight to be fair.
  • Options

Oh, come on.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

Farooq said:

I do wish this old canard of the Royals being a drain on the public purse would be put to rest. If the Crown's private income were taxed like anyone else and the Crown were left to pay for its own upkeep, it would generate far LESS for the government than currently, since ALL the Crown's income goes straight to the Exchequer and only a fraction of it is drawn out for running costs - i.e. the Sovereign Grant. The funding for the Sovereign Grant is about 15% of the profits from the Crown Estate. Essentially the Crown pays 85% tax!.

Can we please stop telling lies about the Crown's 'cost'. The Crown costs us nothing.

The Crown Estate *is* nationalised. Has been for centuries. Osborne's settlement to hand over 15% to the royals was absurdly generous at the time, and even more so that the Crown Estate is raking it in from offshore wind power.
    It’s only temporary at that level - to fund a backlog of maintenance at Buck House mainly. Plus the royals don’t get to keep it - it’s for expenses incurred in work (although they do get the benefit of, say, a decent clothes allowance and tied housing)
    Perhaps it's a shame Britain cannot find a similarly obscure way to fund the renovation of the Palace of Westminster. I guess that, when Westminster burns down due to its neglect, we might take some comfort that Buckingham Palace hasn't gone the same way.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Evening Gin, all well with you
    Yes all good thanks. Been enjoying the sunshine! 😎
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

All drugs are trialed on humans already (after rats).

This is just about incentivising GPs to participate in trials.

There has been a real issue globally with the pace of recruitment for clinical trials. Good medicines are taking far longer to come to market
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.

Unfair

Portland, Percival, Melbourne, Roseberry, Balfour, Macdonald, Baldwin, Chamberlain, Eden, MacMillan, Home, Heath, Brown, Johnson, May were worse.
    You've missed off Aberdeen, Asquith, Russell and Campbell-Bannerman.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    Schofield will need support and soon. Whatever he has done, he needs support at such a time. I hope his friends do not desert him.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It’s how we came up with the Covid vaccines.
    Were "financial incentives offered to GPs who carry out community drugs and treatment trials on their patients." for Covid vaccines?
    Hospitals already get financial incentives to participate in clinical trials
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nonetheless the Tories have still taken the lead for the first time since Sunak became PM in a Redfield bluewall seats poll AND Sunak also now leads Starmer by 10% as best PM in the bluewall poll after Starmer's announcement of his greenbelt development plans
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12124857/Tories-polling-lead-Blue-Wall-seats-time-Rishi-Sunak-PM.html?ico=related-replace
    It's little commented upon, except by you and @AndyJS , but now the locals are out the way the Tories do seem to be trending back up to the previous mean.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

Passing a law means they are legally allowed to. That does not mean they are entitled to.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Given the various scandals that have occurred over the years at the BBC and ITV, it's fairly clear that broadcasters need to very much introduce strict rules and regulations for their staff, that apply equally to *everyone*, talent or not.

Too many have been protected. Who in ITV knew?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Perhaps it's a shame Britain cannot find a similarly obscure way to fund the renovation of the Palace of Westminster. I guess that, when Westminster burns down due to its neglect, we might take some comfort that Buckingham Palace hasn't gone the same way.
    The costs suggested are just mad though. Tens of billions? For a mere handful of those billions you could build a building...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'Police are investigating former Pink Floyd bassist Roger Waters after he wore what appeared to be a Nazi SS uniform during a recent concert in Germany.

Performing at Berlin's Mercedes-Benz Arena on May 17, Mr Waters was seen wearing a long black overcoat with a red armband.

"We are investigating on suspicion of incitement to public hatred because the clothing worn on stage could be used to glorify or justify Nazi rule, thereby disturbing the public peace," said police spokesman Martin Halweg.

I remember an incident four years ago on my local heritage railway during the "War On The Line" special event weekend.

It involved a group of Afrika Korps re-enactors. Let's just say they took themselves ever slightly too seriously, and decided to act 'in character' when riding the train: slamming doors in people's faces deliberately and being rude was just the half of it.

It's now, particularly post Ukraine, a slightly tamer 1930s and 1940s weekend.
  • Options

Given the various scandals that have occurred over the years at the BBC and ITV, it's fairly clear that broadcasters need to very much introduce strict rules and regulations for their staff, that apply equally to *everyone*, talent or not.

From what little I know, media and journalism is shag-city.
  • Options

Schofield will need support and soon. Whatever he has done, he needs support at such a time. I hope his friends do not desert him.

Gordon the Gopher won't.
  • Options

Agree, but he has money that will help him get/buy support. He is not a victim. I hope the other party, and both of their families, also get some support, as the press/media will be all over them.

At the very very best, Schofield abused his position and power.
  • Options

From what little I know, media and journalism is shag-city.
    And by extension, I guess anyone who doesn't want to take part in shag-city, doesn't get a job?
  • Options

Gordon the Gopher won't.
    I hear that Gordon has categorically denied having a fling with Larry the Loafer.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

You are either 10 years older or younger than me. He was prominent on TV in my youth so if you are around my age (50) you’d know him.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I remember an incident four years ago on my local heritage railway during the "War On The Line" special event weekend.

It involved a group of Afrika Korps re-enactors. Let's just say they took themselves ever slightly too seriously, and decided to act 'in character' when riding the train: slamming doors in people's faces deliberately and being rude was just the half of it.

I think a similar thing happened at another preserved railway a decade or so ago. That also became a 30s/40s weekend. I wonder if it was the same group of 'reenactors' ?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A shame.

Unfair

You've missed off Aberdeen, Asquith, Russell and Campbell-Bannerman.
    And Truss.

Easy to miss Truss, I know, but...
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

Gordon the Gopher won't.
    I hear that Gordon has categorically denied having a fling with Larry the Loafer.
    But he looked troubled when asked where Phillip put his hand.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited May 2023
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

There was some really really important news today. Problem is neither the journos, nor their viewers understand the importance of it.

Jeremy Hunt. What if his attempt to calm the markets doesn’t work?

Then we have ourselves some NEWS.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And in the US:

No, they are not.

Passing a law means they are legally allowed to. That does not mean they are entitled to.
    Well tough, if secular liberals choose to live in a very religious state like Texas they have to accept the fact it has a Republican Governor and Legislature, voted for Trump and is strongly socially conservative and will pass socially conservative laws
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think a similar thing happened at another preserved railway a decade or so ago. That also became a 30s/40s weekend. I wonder if it was the same group of 'reenactors' ?
    Quite possibly.

Most people dress up for a bit of fun and a laugh. These guys were, um, interested in something a bit more than that.
  • Options
    I mean, to my knowledge there weren't many Afrika Korps riding British railways in the 1940s so if they want to do it again they can be escorted under guard by period MP and Tommies.

Problem solved.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's little commented upon, except by you and @AndyJS , but now the locals are out the way the Tories do seem to be trending back up to the previous mean.
    Remember Labour only got 35% NEV on May 4th, in 1995 at the equivalent electoral cycle Blair's New Labour got 47% NEV.

Many of those who voted Independent or LD locally will return to the Tories at the general election I believe
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    GIN1138 said:

On Topic.

I mean "MONARCHY" has a 34% lead over REPUBLIC and seems to be pretty overwhelmingly liked?

By the time that lead is eroded Chas and Camilla will be gone and the firm will be on to Wills and Kate who will prove a much more popular King and Queen.

The future of the Monarchy is assured for this Century IMO.

When was the last bald monarch who didn't wear a luxuriant wig? Henry VIII?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,673
    Just back from my brother in law's wake. Nice event in a pub in Walberswick. Sign of getting old. In the last two months losing my dad (96) and now my brother in law (66).
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,799

Agree, but he has money that will help him get/buy support. He is not a victim. I hope the other party, and both of their families, also get some support, as the press/media will be all over them.

At the very very best, Schofield abused his position and power.
    I do find it hard to get my head around the fact he is getting his career terminated for doing stuff many years ago that was pretty normal in the workplace - an affair with a younger colleague. It was not illegal. Is the problem that it was a man and not a woman? He has said he lied as well, but he is a TV presenter and not a politician or public servant.

There is a strong whiff here of people making moral judgements about what consenting adults get up to in their free time. It feels like we are going back to the 1950s.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Many successful species have "pair bonds", which are equivalent in many ways to human marriages. Presumably pair bonds evolved, and have persisted, because they make it more likely that healthy offspring will be produced, that parents will invest in their offspring, rather than abandoning them.

I think we should learn from those successes, and make marriage rules that are best for children.

Marriage isn't (just) about children. It's never been just about children. We should broadly let people do what they want if they aren't hurting anybody.
    It's about betrayal of someone you love and care for deeply. That what's important to me.

The trouble is it's challenging to remain absolutely faithful, 100%, to the same partner for your entire life when it's only human to be sexually attracted to other people. Sometimes strongly.

Occasionally that bubble bursts, and then it gets complicated.
    I think you missed my point and it's largely my fault. I mean that our view of marriage shouldn't be guided by thinking only about childrearing because marriage is about much more than that; for some people children are not possible or not wanted but marriage is still something that should be available to them, and we shouldn't be prescriptive about marriage to the point of excluding those people.

As for the difficulties of fidelity, I don't want to boast about my appearance too much but thanks to my looks I've been saved from many a situation where lesser men would have been presented with an opportunity.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    kjh said:

Just back from my brother in law's wake. Nice event in a pub in Walberswick. Sign of getting old. In the last two months losing my dad (96) and now my brother in law (66).

I am so sorry to hear your news and send you my deepest sympathy at this sad time

My son in law and his sister have lost both their father and mother (their father 2 days after his 90th) in the last 12 months and his sister also has just lost her life partner at a similar age to your brother in law

Life is precious and as an old uncle who was dying of cancer coined the phrase 'why should a breathing man complain '
This discussion has been closed.