Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What Brits are really looking forward to this weekend – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited May 2023 in General
What Brits are really looking forward to this weekend – politicalbetting.com

Which are you most looking forward to around this weekend?The bank holiday day off: 37%The coronation and celebrations surrounding it: 25%Neither: 34%https://t.co/ybC0oCcl7z pic.twitter.com/ScdsnV50H6

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    Yup, I am in this in 37%.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046

Yup, I am in this in 37%.

Would be nice to see a split between:

Those getting a paid day off work
    Those not getting a paid day off work
    Those who don't work

Among those getting a paid day off it will be much higher than 37%.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733
    Fifty million people didn't watch:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65518360
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,362
    edited May 2023
    Isn't it plausible that the initiative for yesterday's mistake came from the Met not the Palace?

Presumably we'll never know, however amusing a "jolly bad show... Constable Rowley" speech would be.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    More.on this:

About 14 million saw King being Crowned, live on BBC TV. This is about half of the TV audience for the Queen's funeral last Autumn (29 million across channels and outlets). The Lionesses had an 11 million average, 17 million peak. and England v Italy 2020 had a 31m peak

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1655175061924397057

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,451
    O/T

Latest German opinion poll.

Kantar:

CDU/CSU 31%
    SPD 17%
    Green 16%
    AfD 16%
    FDP 8%
    Left 4%
    Others 8%

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    With the police arresting people for exercising free speech against the monarchy, that tells us the poor place the monarchy finds itself in, a self confident monarchy wouldn’t need the state to bully their citizens like this.

The Conservative Party generally, and the Home Secretary in particular, along with the attraction that police work has to people who derive enjoyment from abusing power and abusing other people, are responsible for the wave of forcible detentions. Not the King, regardless of whether you think he merits his status or not.

Could the coronation of King Charles III be the UK’s last coronation?

QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited May 2023

Fifty million people didn't watch:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65518360

Yes, that's the right take. It's not as though 1/4 of the entire nation doing something is an unusual occurrence. It's like if 100,000 people show up on a protest march, that means nothing because it's a small proportion of the overall nation.

Particularly as unlike a world cup match the coronation was not a very absorbing watch, so 1/4 of the nation doing it would be a very high number.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

More.on this:

About 14 million saw King being Crowned, live on BBC TV. This is about half of the TV audience for the Queen's funeral last Autumn (29 million across channels and outlets). The Lionesses had an 11 million average, 17 million peak. and England v Italy 2020 had a 31m peak

Not that surprising. The respects for Elizabeth were for both the office and the holder, and Charles only has the first of those so far, which isn't worth as much as seventy years ago. At the moment, there's still a bit of a "you're not my real dad" vibe going on.

Longer term, there's a challenge for the monarchy if the monarch is always old-to-dying. That will be tricky to solve.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,801
    FF43 said:

More.on this:

You sure?

“King Charles’s coronation watched by peak TV audience of 20m
    Event was most watched broadcast of year”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/07/king-charles-coronation-watched-by-peak-tv-audience-of-20-million?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

And we’ve yet to get the catch up and internet figures. I suspect the Palace will be just fine with this

Indeed the Guardian is so cheesed off that it was watched by a lot of people, they are blaming the weather:

“The viewing figures for the coronation at Westminster Abbey may have been boosted by the poor weather in parts of the UK, which forced people to stay inside”

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    Not really surprising. The football was both more exciting and more entertaining. I'd think it odd if the coronation wasn't televised, but I'd also think it odd if the nation was glued to it. We have so much more to divert us than our counterparts for the Queen's coronation 70 years ago.

34% not looking forward to anything this weekend, though. Miserable buggers.

Personally, I rather enjoyed seeing the bunting out, and I enjoyed the little street party in the cul de sac behind our house. Small scale and drunken, it was. And I will also enjoy an extra day off work tomorrow. My glass is definitely half full.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

Particularly as unlike a world cup match the coronation was not a very absorbing watch, so 1/4 of the nation doing it would be a very high number.

Maybe more people would have tuned in if the coronation had gone to penalties.
  • Options

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Not that surprising. The respects for Elizabeth were for both the office and the holder, and Charles only has the first of those so far, which isn't worth as much as seventy years ago. At the moment, there's still a bit of a "you're not my real dad" vibe going on.

Longer term, there's a challenge for the monarchy if the monarch is always old-to-dying. That will be tricky to solve.
    But that’s the genius of family. There will be weddings of attractive young people

The wedding of Wills and Kate was one of the most watched royal events ever
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Apparently Wagner have been promised more ammunition and so won't be pulling out, in the ongoing theatrics in Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65516633

But could this dude look more like an orc from a Lord of the Rings film if he tried? Apologies for photo of Prigozin to spoil your Sunday, I couldn't get spoiler tags to work.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,526

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Next Coronation will have a King aged in his fifties, albeit as bald as a billiard ball.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Maybe more people would have tuned in if the coronation had gone to penalties.
    You can get away with anything so long as you add 'as is tradition' to justify it.

South Park - Royal Wedding
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    Don’t forget the weekend’s big story, the LibDems shooting off the top end of the expectations swingometer (with a dishonourable mention for our HY who predicted the LibDems would lose seats….)

• Options
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Next Coronation will have a King aged in his fifties, albeit as bald as a billiard ball.
    Perhaps, as is tradition, he or George will develop a fatal smoking habit in order to bring a youthful monarch to the throne. The institution demands it.

Expect to see this revelation in the upcoming Spare 2: The Sparening, by Harry Mountbatten-Windsor, former Prince.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    kle4 said:

Apparently Wagner have been promised more ammunition and so won't be pulling out, in the ongoing theatrics in Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65516633

But could this dude look more like an orc from a Lord of the Rings film if he tried? Apologies for photo of Prigozin to spoil your Sunday, I couldn't get spoiler tags to work.

They're going to rotate with some Chechen forces according to my sources
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 824
    On topic - these stats are nothing to worry about for the monarchy in my view, as long as Charles doesn’t overreach and there aren’t too many Andrew-shaped skeletons in the closet.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

With the police arresting people for exercising free speech against the monarchy, that tells us the poor place the monarchy finds itself in, a self confident monarchy wouldn’t need the state to bully their citizens like this.

The Conservative Party generally, and the Home Secretary in particular, along with the attraction that police work has to people who derive enjoyment from abusing power and abusing other people, are responsible for the wave of forcible detentions. Not the King, regardless of whether you think he merits his status or not.

QTWTAIN.

Caught by the New Thread, my thoughts on the protests:

Indeed, as I responded to accusations of not being proud of Britain a few days back:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4386927#Comment_4386927

One thing in particular that makes me proud is that monarchist and jingoistic self-importance is met by British mickey-taking and pricking that pomposity, rather than violent mobs. The worst that happened yesterday was a few protesters having their placards impounded, and even that fairly meekly done. Truly the mark of a civilised country.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Really?
    You don't give the King any odds at all of surviving 19 years and a month?
    Given the very best healthcare, not smoking, and his family history of longevity, I would say there's a pretty good chance the next King will be crowned in his sixties.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    I suspect that the monarchy will still be in place in 1,000 years time 👍
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Really?
    Given the very best healthcare, not smoking, and his family history of longevity, I would say there's a pretty good chance the next King will be crowned in his sixties.
    The solution to this ageing problem is obvious - switching from primogeniture to ultimogeniture.
  • Options

Though all hail King SkyNet and his robo-knights.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Really?
    Not zero, but probable.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

Are you willing to take a bet on that?
  • Options
    Leon said:

What was that famous saying by King Ibn Saud? Something like “in 1000 years there will be just five kings left. The Kings of Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs and England”
    Google attributes it to the King of Egypt. But only ChatGPT can truly know.

I see it shows up in a lot of 'Are Monarchies days' numbered?' articles, usually coming with a clear yearning that the answer is 'Yes, hopefully'.

Could be so, but I doubt it given the stability of Scandanavian monarchies for example. The UK is more political unstable, with Sindy and all that, and so the possibility of it falling by the wayside are higher than should probably be the case given lack of consensus on what to replace it with.

But in fact we can see from various Republican dictatorships that they can be in effect monarchies, with sons inheriting presidencies from father's, so I don't think we'll ever truly be rid of monarchy, even if it is called something else. Christ, in North Korean they talk about the actual Kim bloodline being vital and still pretend not to be a monachy!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

Indeed, as I responded to accusations of not being proud of Britain a few days back:

One thing in particular that makes me proud is that monarchist and jingoistic self-importance is met by British mickey-taking and pricking that pomposity, rather than violent mobs. The worst that happened yesterday was a few protesters having their placards impounded, and even that fairly meekly done. Truly the mark of a civilised country.
    Charles has the advantage of commanding auto-loyalty from the right whilst appealing to many on the left because of his lifelong commitment to charity work promoting the environment, the young, and so on. He’s managed to appear both ahead of his time in his championing various organic/environmental causes whilst appealing to the retros with his opposition to modern architecture and the rest.

If William has anything between his ears he ought now to be thinking what he wants to be associated with when his turn to get the London procession in the rain comes around.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,862
    I remember a time when Medvedev was, whilst not considered one of the good guys, a fairly acceptable face of Russian politics.

“Former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev has threatened anyone convicted of carrying out Saturday’s attack on nationalist writer Zakhar Prilepin with death in prison.

Writing on Telegram, Medvedev, who is now deputy chairman of Russia’s security council, said that any suspects, “like other criminals, will be tried for the attack and sentenced to long prison terms”.

He continued: “But it is important that they and others like them realise a simple thing: even for those sentenced to life imprisonment (under the conditions of a moratorium on the death penalty), incidents and accidents sometimes happen.

“And then a lengthy sentence is quickly interrupted for natural reasons due to the death of the prisoner. And it also has great educational value for the new bastards who are hired to carry out assassinations.”

Prilepin, a prominent supporter of the war in Ukraine, was in the Nizhny Novgorod region of Russia on Saturday when his car exploded, injuring him and killing his driver.”

From the Guardian.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Chris said:

Betting? I never do that!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

If William has anything between his ears he ought now to be thinking what he wants to be associated with when his turn to get the London procession in the rain comes around.
    There are questions about that of course, though if Harry is to be believed the man is secretly a rage machine, but it's not an easy thing to put a finger on. I doubt Charles was thinking he would be praised for eco-awareness 30 years ago, so looking far ahead is hard.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Really?
    The solution to this ageing problem is obvious - switching from primogeniture to ultimogeniture.
    The old Welsh system was better still: battle-royal between anyone who fancied their chances.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

Charles has the advantage of commanding auto-loyalty from the right whilst appealing to many on the left because of his lifelong commitment to charity work promoting the environment, the young, and so on. He’s managed to appear both ahead of his time in his championing various organic/environmental causes whilst appealing to the retros with his opposition to modern architecture and the rest.

Perhaps he will do his own flypast?

It really is quite hard to think what his interests are.
  • Options

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Really?
    The old Welsh system was better still: battle-royal between anyone who fancied their chances.
    Makes you strong! But also poor.

Apparently Lukashenko in Belarus is following my proposal, as his favouite son has long been his youngest son, who is 29 years younger than the eldest.
  • Options

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Really?
    My money would be on Harry, even after losing the battle of the dog bowl.
  • Options

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Really?
    Because the Welsh went on to build an empire that bestrode the globe?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Not really surprising. The football was both more exciting and more entertaining. I'd think it odd if the coronation wasn't televised, but I'd also think it odd if the nation was glued to it. We have so much more to divert us than our counterparts for the Queen's coronation 70 years ago.

Personally, I rather enjoyed seeing the bunting out, and I enjoyed the little street party in the cul de sac behind our house. Small scale and drunken, it was. And I will also enjoy an extra day off work tomorrow. My glass is definitely half full.

I'll never understand why club football is so interesting to so many people. Don't mind watching internationals.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Everyone be careful - assuming we have descendents and the survive the global ecological collapse, alien invasion, and the singularity, they may regard this as an enforcable contract.
  • Options
    boulay said:

I remember a time when Medvedev was, whilst not considered one of the good guys, a fairly acceptable face of Russian politics.

“Former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev has threatened anyone convicted of carrying out Saturday’s attack on nationalist writer Zakhar Prilepin with death in prison.

Writing on Telegram, Medvedev, who is now deputy chairman of Russia’s security council, said that any suspects, “like other criminals, will be tried for the attack and sentenced to long prison terms”.

He continued: “But it is important that they and others like them realise a simple thing: even for those sentenced to life imprisonment (under the conditions of a moratorium on the death penalty), incidents and accidents sometimes happen.

“And then a lengthy sentence is quickly interrupted for natural reasons due to the death of the prisoner. And it also has great educational value for the new bastards who are hired to carry out assassinations.”

Prilepin, a prominent supporter of the war in Ukraine, was in the Nizhny Novgorod region of Russia on Saturday when his car exploded, injuring him and killing his driver.”

From the Guardian.

His current role appears to be the drunken loudmouth of the Russian government - is that designed to make Putin appear the more rational statesman?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

There are questions about that of course, though if Harry is to be believed the man is secretly a rage machine, but it's not an easy thing to put a finger on. I doubt Charles was thinking he would be praised for eco-awareness 30 years ago, so looking far ahead is hard.
    That is the desolate future for William, trying to find something to be interested in to fill the gap until his dad dies.
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 144
    edited May 2023
    Deleted - double post.
  • Options

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Really?
    In which case, all hail Queen Penelope.
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 144
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

What was that famous saying by King Ibn Saud? Something like “in 1000 years there will be just five kings left. The Kings of Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs and England”
    That's pretty much the quote, though I believe it was Farouk, the fat King of Egypt, who said it. In the fine tradition of monarchs being of foreign descent, the Egyptian royal family was descended from an Albanian Ottoman general. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is suprisingly new - founded by the father of the present king.

I stick to my earlier stated opinion on this - remove the monarchy at your peril. The French made it their national identity and every 50 years since that moment they have binned their entire constitution and started an entirely new one. They have also ended up with a far more monarchical system of government than any European monarchy outside of the Holy See.

It seems peculiar to me that, given the tremendous fuss we have just had over changing a fifty-year-old part of our constitution (a tale that still has not fully played out), we consider changing a millenium-old part of it and not imagine that there might be unintended consequences.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

Everyone be careful - assuming we have descendents and the survive the global ecological collapse, alien invasion, and the singularity, they may regard this as an enforcable contract.
    Depends whether the currency in question is still in existence. Even inflation-proofing would be impossible, though. It's hard enough in my experience and reading assessing the value of money in 1823 versus today (critically dependent on social class, inter aliis).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

Really?
    Because the Welsh went on to build an empire that bestrode the globe?
    True, but the last time English royals really started battling it out between family factions it was a mostly unknown Welshman who ended up on top, so the appeal of a system pretty much designed to lead to family conflict is apparent for them.
  • Options
    Quick quiz: where is this?

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

I'll never understand why club football is so interesting to so many people. Don't mind watching internationals.
    Massive matches tomorrow for Leicester, Everton, Southampton and Nottingham. All teams are desperate for points. I would be happy with a point off Fulham. Forest should get their final 3 of the season.

It's as tight as a gnats arse at the bottom of the PL.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Cookie said:

I was going to say southern Spain, but it looks vaguely like something I've seen out of an Assassin's Creed game, so I'm going with Florence or Istanbul.

Now you'll tell me its Grimsby.
  • Options

On British values, while yesterday may have showcased the best of them, it also showcased a very recent example of the worst of them.

It really isn't very British at all to enable the police to arrest people because they may be about to engage in a 'disruptive' protest. The legislation came into force just last Tuesday. People may be pretty relaxed about it being used in the exceptional circumstances of yesterday. But I don't think we should be at all relaxed about giving the police carte blanche in the future to make a subjective judgement, before any offence is committed, about whether one is likely to be committed.

Most unBritish. Thanks, Suella and the Tories. I hope Labour promises to repeal this bit of the legislation.

Governments rarely give up power that has been accrued, even if the party in charge opposed it when in opposition. That's why despite some being against it Home Secretaries still have the power to withdraw someones citizenship.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,801
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

I was going to say southern Spain, but it looks vaguely like something I've seen out of an Assassin's Creed game, so I'm going with Florence or Istanbul.

Here we come?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

I'm going with UK because it looks so exotic. I am thinking some sort of Mill chimney disguised as an exotic tower by prosperous Victorians.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Cookie said:

Stockport.

Edit - Manchester
  • Options

Cookie said:

Stockport.
    TSE is closest so far.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    I think Charles is quite likely to retire and not go onto the bitter end.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Stockport.
    TSE is closest so far.
    Manchester Prison.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

I'm going with UK because it looks so exotic. I am thinking some sort of Mill chimney disguised as an exotic tower by prosperous Victorians.
    UK, yes. Not a mill, but yes, a Victorian flourish where you might not expect one.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

William is very into green stuff, it would appear. Hence the Earthshot Prize. Hence also his reported desire to destroy all the ivory artefacts in the Royal Collection. Caring about sustainability and elephants is unlikely to get him into too much trouble, save with the shrinking rump of climate change deniers, whom nobody else likes.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639

It's a slightly odd poll. "Neither" ? Who wouldn't look forward to a bank holiday weekend?

I wonder if this just measures British cynicism and non-deferential thinking; it would be somewhat uncool to look forward to the coronation this weekend, unless you were a strong monarchist, because it suggests it's the most important thing in your life and our society is quite atomised these days. And we are all centered on our own choices and priorities.

But, that doesn't mean you won't participate and enjoy it when it arrives. My whole village were out today and I met neighbours I never would have were it not for the monarchy.

Like much else in life: it's complicated.

Lots of people work have to work bank holiday weekends and may feel they are missing out. Others are expected to visit family they may not like. Some people may enjoy the routine of working and miss that.

People are different.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Stockport.
    TSE is closest so far.
    Manchester Prison.
    You clearly have the advantage of having stared at it for longer than any of us.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Goodness me, Hell really has frozen over, I agree with Julia Hartley-Brewer.

The difference is being released without charge within 24 hours vs being sent to tough prisons in Siberia.

The Met were probably over the top, the govt (and Labour) too willing to take extra powers but this is not Putin's Russia.

JHB silly as usual, even when on the "correct" side of the argument.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Stockport.
    TSE is closest so far.
    Manchester Prison.
    You clearly have the advantage of having stared at it for longer than any of us.
    It is a mile away from my office and two miles from my apartment in Manchester.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,892
    edited May 2023
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

My first thought was Grimsby Dock Tower as well; they're reasonably similar but not the same.

edit; I'm thinking what you need tall towers for: chimneys (though the draught would be cr@p with that design; you need wind to help the smoke out); water tower; hydraulic tower; observation.

My *guess* would be a hydraulic tower.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023

On British values, while yesterday may have showcased the best of them, it also showcased a very recent example of the worst of them.

It really isn't very British at all to enable the police to arrest people because they may be about to engage in a 'disruptive' protest. The legislation came into force just last Tuesday. People may be pretty relaxed about it being used in the exceptional circumstances of yesterday. But I don't think we should be at all relaxed about giving the police carte blanche in the future to make a subjective judgement, before any offence is committed, about whether one is likely to be committed.

Most unBritish. Thanks, Suella and the Tories. I hope Labour promises to repeal this bit of the legislation.

I’m not at all comfortable with pre-crime, however it is legislated, however enforced.

The state needs to do the hard and expensive thing. Solve actual crimes.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

So many "I'll never understand why people like" x,y or z this weekend. I'll never understand how intelligent people can not understand that not everyone shares their tastes!
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Stockport.
    TSE is closest so far.
    Manchester Prison.
    Well done Eagles! It's Strangeways.
    I think about this landmark often. It's fairly prominent on the skyline and not unpleasant looking. Most prisons are hidden away, but not this one.
    The surrounding area is a bit grim, but in ten years it won't be. It's close to Central Manchester and ripe for redevelopment. I imagine the prison will move, but I hope the tower stays. Maybe it could be a minor tourist attraction to see the view from the top.
  • Options

It's a slightly odd poll. "Neither" ? Who wouldn't look forward to a bank holiday weekend?

I wonder if this just measures British cynicism and non-deferential thinking; it would be somewhat uncool to look forward to the coronation this weekend, unless you were a strong monarchist, because it suggests it's the most important thing in your life and our society is quite atomised these days. And we are all centered on our own choices and priorities.

But, that doesn't mean you won't participate and enjoy it when it arrives. My whole village were out today and I met neighbours I never would have were it not for the monarchy.

Like much else in life: it's complicated.

Only 9% of over 65's are looking forward to an extra Bank Holiday, presumably because they are retired.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2023/05/05/ba1bd/1

• Options
    edited May 2023

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

So many "I'll never understand why people like" x,y or z this weekend. I'll never understand how intelligent people can not understand that not everyone shares their tastes!
    Lol.

I’m actually with @Andy_JS on this one.

Unless I’ve got a free bet to use up, which I throw on a club game, i’m just not emotionally invested. Never have been.

International football, on the other hand…
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Deleted
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I think Charles is quite likely to retire and not go onto the bitter end.

I think that quite possible, though he will want to give it a dozen years or so.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    edited May 2023
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

Some folk think they have him pegged..
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

Glad someone Rose to the occasion.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Lol.

Unless I’ve got a free bet to use up, which I throw on a club game, i’m just not emotionally invested. Never have been.

Nothing wrong with preferring international football. Quite strange to not understand why some prefer club football.
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 90
    pigeon said:

Exactly. It’s utterly absurd to hold the royals responsible for yesterday’s arrests as if the Metropolitan Police are their own private militia. The Met are quite capable of fucking things up all by themselves (I’m sure we’ll get another treatise on the matter from Cyclefree in due course) without any input from Buck House. That said, if there was any external pressure put on the Met, it would have come from either Mayor Khan’t or the deranged authoritarian in the Home Office. Anyone not desperately grasping for reasons to find fault with the royals could see that.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

I believe he had a Ducati Panigale at one point which made him very mildly interesting, but I daresay he’s put aside all that nonsense nowadays. Otoh it inspired stuff as below. Who the hell would get hot and bothered by the shiny pated Hanoverian nowadays?

• Options
    pigeon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

William is very into green stuff, it would appear. Hence the Earthshot Prize. Hence also his reported desire to destroy all the ivory artefacts in the Royal Collection. Caring about sustainability and elephants is unlikely to get him into too much trouble, save with the shrinking rump of climate change deniers, whom nobody else likes.
    Yes, but it's not going to get in front of the next big thing. That might be supporting population decrease, as some climate types are all for.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Some favourite off script Manchester architecture. 4 floors of roof.

• Options
    Lancashire need 4 wickets to win their match against Notts at Trent Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqQ6RWzugbc
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Bored with the Coronation.

When is the thread on Lib Dem target seats, Scottish sun-samples, or how the DUP might fare in another Northern Irish poll?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

Yes, but it's not going to get in front of the next big thing. That might be supporting population decrease, as some climate types are all for.
    He might not be the sharpest tool in the box, but he’d have to be really quite stupid to make that his cause. He ain’t that dim.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    And this piece of misplaced Berlin, complete with its own screaming eagles

• Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Some favourite off script Manchester architecture. 4 floors of roof.

Could almost be New York.
    Not tall enough.
  • Options
    The worst thing about William’s baldness is that royal decorum forbids him to just shave the whole thing off, and it’s too late now for a hair transplant too.
  • Options
    Manchester has some good architecture, but it lacks a clear focal point. It should be Picadilly Gardens but they’re kind of a disaster.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

I believe he had a Ducati Panigale at one point which made him very mildly interesting, but I daresay he’s put aside all that nonsense nowadays. Otoh it inspired stuff as below. Who the hell would get hot and bothered by the shiny pated Hanoverian nowadays?

I didn't know about the Ducati.

That's quite cool.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,110
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Lol.

Most hardcore fans are the opposite. Eg ask a Sheffield Wednesday supporter which they'd prefer of England winning the World Cup and the Owls winning the Play Offs and getting promoted and it's a no brainer it's the latter. Why? Because when your club wins you share the buzz with fewer people. It's more exclusive.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

You sure?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/07/king-charles-coronation-watched-by-peak-tv-audience-of-20-million?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

And we’ve yet to get the catch up and internet figures. I suspect the Palace will be just fine with this

Indeed the Guardian is so cheesed off that it was watched by a lot of people, they are blaming the weather:

“The viewing figures for the coronation at Westminster Abbey may have been boosted by the poor weather in parts of the UK, which forced people to stay inside”

So cheesed off that they gave it an approving write up ?
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/06/it-was-ludicrous-but-also-magnificent-the-coronation-stirred-every-emotion?CMP=share_btn_tw

You’re just determined to pick a fight where one doesn’t exist. A bit like @Anabobazina ‘s recent posts.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

QTWTAIN.

How about championing reparations for slavery?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    As an aside, 5.5 million Ukrainians (mostly women and children) who fled the country at the beginning of the war have returned home.

I mention this because some posters were adamant that they were never going to leave.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    edited May 2023
    18-20 million watching the Coronation isn't bad. That's 27% of the entire population which, in this day and age, is about as good as it gets. My estimate a week ago was about 10-11 million. And I expect the viewing figures will edge a bit higher still once catch-ups are included.

I think the highest ever was 31 million for Diana's funeral, and that was a hugely shocking event in a pre-digital/smart TV age with virtually wall-wall coverage, and whilst it's about 8-9 million less than the Queen's funeral of 28 million it's still pretty decent for a new monarch who's a bit bittersweet, has lots of baggage, and for a deeply religious service, and a long one.

I think Buckingham Palace will be satisfied with these figures.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Lancashire need 4 wickets to win their match against Notts at Trent Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqQ6RWzugbc

You get club cricket then, Andy, do you?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Has anyone produced a highlight reel from the coronation that just contains the Penny Mordant bits?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

More.on this:

You sure?

So cheesed off that they gave it an approving write up ?
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/06/it-was-ludicrous-but-also-magnificent-the-coronation-stirred-every-emotion?CMP=share_btn_tw

You’re just determined to pick a fight where one doesn’t exist. A bit like @Anabobazina ‘s recent posts.

The Guardian is deeply schizo on the Coronation

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/06/strong-bladders-required-for-interminable-faffing-of-king-charles-coronation?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

But so, it seems, is France:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/07/french-leftwing-attacks-nauseating-coronation-but-right-gives-praise?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Actually there’s quite a statistic in that 2nd article. 9 million French people watched it LIVE
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Bored with the Coronation.

When is the thread on Lib Dem target seats, Scottish sun-samples, or how the DUP might fare in another Northern Irish poll?

Plenty of sun here today and yesterday
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

You have to consider procedure as much as opinion. Suppose both Lab and Con believe that about 1 million votes (a tiny % of the population but electorally critical) would swing away from a party putting a referendum on the monarchy in a manifesto, while an unknown but small number would switch the other way; that would stop such a pledge ever being made.

Which is why under current circumstances it won't be. So it won't be abolished until unforeseeable times in the future.

This discussion has been closed.