Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What Brits are really looking forward to this weekend – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    rcs1000 said:

Has anyone produced a highlight reel from the coronation that just contains the Penny Mordant bits?

If so Leon will be squinty eyed at the thought of it
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    Talking of tactical voting, look at the Tory share of vote in Bracknell compared to seats won:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

https://democratic.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/mgElectionResults.aspx?ID=109&RPID=61655469
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,505

The worst thing about William’s baldness is that royal decorum forbids him to just shave the whole thing off, and it’s too late now for a hair transplant too.

You can use phototherapy to bring back hair to an extent. After 10 years of baldness the folicles are usually dead rather than dormant though, so best to be prompt.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    Leon said:
    Traitors to the Republic everyone of them.
    The French equivalent of TSE would be having a fit right now.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    rcs1000 said:

Has anyone produced a highlight reel from the coronation that just contains the Penny Mordant bits?

She did well to carry it all through with a straight face. (And of course she did well just to carry a sword in that way for a long while)
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Andy_JS said:

Talking of tactical voting, look at the Tory share of vote in Bracknell compared to seats won:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

https://democratic.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/mgElectionResults.aspx?ID=109&RPID=61655469

Poor Bracknell Tories.

There exists no violin small enough.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,416

Leon said:
    In some respects the British monarchy is bigger news abroad than it is at home

“As the French president, Emmanuel Macron, who is close to Charles, attended the service at Westminster Abbey, congratulating the monarchy who he said were “friends to France”, the French media’s massive focus on the event – with souvenir front pages and lengthy TV specials across different channels – caused high emotions across the polarised political landscape.”

It was front page news on the NYT with dozens of articles for two or three days
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    Chris Curtis of YouGov has stated that the LEs line up almost perfectly with a 15 point lead in the Westminster VI.

If the Lib Dems are on for 20-30 seats which seems likely, it seems almost impossible at this point for Labour to not be forming a government with numbers way over a majority.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    This is going to be the top political issue in the US, very soon.

Free article. Really outstanding analysis of the the debt limit by Harvard law professor @tribelaw. Makes the essential point that if the debt limit is binding then other laws will be broken. Violating the limit is the least unconstitutional option.
    https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/1655208978169700353

Unless, of course, congressional Republicans accept the responsibility of the US government to honour the debts that they voted to incur.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,712
    Leon said:

Leon said:

“As the French president, Emmanuel Macron, who is close to Charles, attended the service at Westminster Abbey, congratulating the monarchy who he said were “friends to France”, the French media’s massive focus on the event – with souvenir front pages and lengthy TV specials across different channels – caused high emotions across the polarised political landscape.”

I think partly driven by the late Queen’s francophilia, the French state’s relationship with our monarchy seems closer and more stable than with our elected politicians.

It’s another echo of deep time though isn’t it. William the Conqueror and his barons, the interchangeability of our French speaking royals with their family across the channel, our kings for many years formally in homage to the king of France, then the likes of Simon de Montfort, Richard Cœur de Lion who could barely speak English, the Hundred Years’ War, the camp du drap d’or, Elisabeth I and Calais. We were once almost one monarchy and our wars were practically civil wars.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited May 2023
    Fuck Adam Lyth. He's batting the cheating racists to victory.

That's doubly annoying as it means Gloucestershire - who have lost three certain victories to the weather* - will now be foot of the table.

*TBF, also one certain defeat.

Edit - well, that was quick!
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,712
    Dialup said:

Chris Curtis of YouGov has stated that the LEs line up almost perfectly with a 15 point lead in the Westminster VI.

If the Lib Dems are on for 20-30 seats which seems likely, it seems almost impossible at this point for Labour to not be forming a government with numbers way over a majority.

The prospect of a Lib-Lab deal if no majority will also exacerbate Tory difficulties in England as they won’t be able to make any Starmer in the pocket of SNP jibes stick. That and the recent leadership changes. Nobody believes Starmer is going to be in the pocket of Humza Yousaf.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    We have had plenty of whining about the Monarchy and the Coronation. Wtf do we need another thread just for more whining by anti Monarchy loons
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877
    edited May 2023
    Muesli said:

pigeon said:

With the police arresting people for exercising free speech against the monarchy, that tells us the poor place the monarchy finds itself in, a self confident monarchy wouldn’t need the state to bully their citizens like this.

The Conservative Party generally, and the Home Secretary in particular, along with the attraction that police work has to people who derive enjoyment from abusing power and abusing other people, are responsible for the wave of forcible detentions. Not the King, regardless of whether you think he merits his status or not.

Exactly. It’s utterly absurd to hold the royals responsible for yesterday’s arrests as if the Metropolitan Police are their own private militia. The Met are quite capable of fucking things up all by themselves (I’m sure we’ll get another treatise on the matter from Cyclefree in due course) without any input from Buck House. That said, if there was any external pressure put on the Met, it would have come from either Mayor Khan’t or the deranged authoritarian in the Home Office. Anyone not desperately grasping for reasons to find fault with the royals could see that.
    You're confusing criticism of the royals personally with criticism of the way in which royalty is perceived as the figurehead holding together the UK state in all sorts of ways, some far less legitimate than others. No wonder the establishment is hypersensitive.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Chris is a Labour candidate for Milton Keynes at the next election I believe.
  • Options

We have had plenty of whining about the Monarchy and the Coronation. Wtf do we need another thread just for more whining by anti Monarchy loons

Declaring your political opponents insane and therefore irrational by definition, I see.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,233
    edited May 2023

You pro monarchy loons seem to be holding your own perfectly well.
    Specially when MILFY Mordaunt hoves into view.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I think partly driven by the late Queen’s francophilia, the French state’s relationship with our monarchy seems closer and more stable than with our elected politicians.

It’s another echo of deep time though isn’t it. William the Conqueror and his barons, the interchangeability of our French speaking royals with their family across the channel, our kings for many years formally in homage to the king of France, then the likes of Simon de Montfort, Richard Cœur de Lion who could barely speak English, the Hundred Years’ War, the camp du drap d’or, Elisabeth I and Calais. We were once almost one monarchy and our wars were practically civil wars.
    Also a dash of French envy for the pomp and circumstance of British royalty

France is a republic on the surface but royalism lurks beneath, for many

Apparently it was wall to wall TV in Italy as well
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

Poor Bracknell Tories.

I thought it was interesting from a psephological point of view. Don't think I've seen such a big discrepancy before.
  • Options
    Reflecting on what we saw yesterday, I think I've arrived at a few conclusions.

The whole CoE thing is nuts.
    The military cheer was awe inspiring. (In a UK context that's great, but quite fearful otherwise)
    The Prince and Princess of Wales look better still.

On a lesser scale;

Huw Edwards is bloody useless, but (astonishingly) Claire Balding did rather well.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Declaring your political opponents insane and therefore irrational by definition, I see.
    I think the thread lead with the unpleasant sycophant comment set the tone.
  • Options

You pro monarchy loons seem to be holding your own perfectly well.
    Specially when MILFY Mordaunt pops into view.
    It is curious how "I'm a PBTory/Unionist/Royalist and I'd like to jump/not jump X" is erected so often on PB as a rationale for critical discussion of female members of the Tory Party and/or Royal Family. I find it quite embarrassing at times.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Quite different. The thread lead at least left Royalism as an option.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Dialup said:

YouGov was started by and is still run by at least one Tory, what is your point? He was just stating YouGov's opinion.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I just saw it on tv, but I think the best celebration of a national anniversary was the French bicentennial.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    Andy_JS said:

Dialup said:

Difficult to refute his analysis, though.

Labour is stepping towards a modest victory, on the back of an anti-Tory landslide.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,999
    Andy_JS said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

Poor Bracknell Tories.

I thought it was interesting from a psephological point of view. Don't think I've seen such a big discrepancy before.
    It's because LD and Lab did a deal and didn't stand against each other.

It's good politics but stinks from a democratic point of view. Lab will be making decisions about my ward but didn't even stand here. It feels like the SNP voting on matters relating to England.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Lol

Coronation of Charles III: nearly 9 million viewers watched the ceremony in France. 2 million more than for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II
    euro.dayfr.com/local/amp/1702…
    #Coronation  #KingCharlesIII #QueenCamilla

It also had millions of live viewers in Germany

Someone tell me that this isn’t soft power?
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

Andy_JS said:

Dialup said:

Labour is stepping towards a modest victory, on the back of an anti-Tory landslide.
    And with the mess the SNP has been creating for itself Labour will take advantage in Scotland too.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668

It's not your site. If you don't like it go elsewhere. We used to have this debate many months ago with you complaining about the thread headers simply because you didn't agree with them.

They can post 100% anti monarchy threads if they wish forever. If they do I will leave also because I will be bored. If you don't like it do the same.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Dialup said:

Yes the 1.9 is value imo. These LE results point to a Lab majority.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s just a Hollywood thing. People around the world watch the Oscars, get excited about film stars way beyond their actual influence because people like to see glitz and glamour. Around the world the chances of there being a national representative at the Oscars is nil but they still tune in and you have the German version of the GMTV reporter on the red carpet asking film stars inane questions that the actor really cannot be arsed engaging with.

People will always be fascinated with wealth, glitz and glamour - it’s why Hello Magazine exists or the Daily Mail side bar of shame. People like to look at “fabulous” lives of others and then half love, half bitch about it. The royal family for most of the world is just another Hollywood they will never be a part of but want to see.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I just saw it on tv, but I think the best celebration of a national anniversary was the French bicentennial.
    I cannot imagine any domestic French event which would garner 9m British TV viewers (setting aside England playing in France etc)

Football, feudalism and Formula 1 teams, these are now our main exports. We are a strange country
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Andy_JS said:

Dialup said:

And with the mess the SNP has been creating for itself Labour will take advantage in Scotland too.
    Absolutely.

I do think these local elections were a watershed.
    Overshadowed by the Cozzie Chaz, but a new kind of era begins on Monday (or Tuesday).
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 91
    Carnyx said:

Muesli said:

pigeon said:

With the police arresting people for exercising free speech against the monarchy, that tells us the poor place the monarchy finds itself in, a self confident monarchy wouldn’t need the state to bully their citizens like this.

The Conservative Party generally, and the Home Secretary in particular, along with the attraction that police work has to people who derive enjoyment from abusing power and abusing other people, are responsible for the wave of forcible detentions. Not the King, regardless of whether you think he merits his status or not.

Exactly. It’s utterly absurd to hold the royals responsible for yesterday’s arrests as if the Metropolitan Police are their own private militia. The Met are quite capable of fucking things up all by themselves (I’m sure we’ll get another treatise on the matter from Cyclefree in due course) without any input from Buck House. That said, if there was any external pressure put on the Met, it would have come from either Mayor Khan’t or the deranged authoritarian in the Home Office. Anyone not desperately grasping for reasons to find fault with the royals could see that.
    You're confusing criticism of the royals personally with criticism of the way in which royalty is perceived as the figurehead holding together the UK state in all sorts of ways, some far less legitimate than others. No wonder the establishment is hypersensitive.
    Er, no, I’m not confusing anything. I’m quite capable of reading and understanding a statement like “With the police arresting people for exercising free speech against the monarchy, that tells us the poor place the monarchy finds itself in, a self confident monarchy wouldn’t need the state to bully their citizens like ths” despite the comma splicing and spelling mistakes.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

The Most Reverend Justin Welby did a remarkable job yesterday I thought

Really gave it some welly didn't he.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I cannot imagine any domestic French event which would garner 9m British TV viewers (setting aside England playing in France etc)

Football, feudalism and Formula 1 teams, these are now our main exports. We are a strange country
    Well I have no idea what the audience was in 1989. I can without doubt tell you though that if you didn't watch you should have done.

Nationalism has to be a deeper thing in France than anywhere else.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s just a Hollywood thing. People around the world watch the Oscars, get excited about film stars way beyond their actual influence because people like to see glitz and glamour. Around the world the chances of there being a national representative at the Oscars is nil but they still tune in and you have the German version of the GMTV reporter on the red carpet asking film stars inane questions that the actor really cannot be arsed engaging with.

People will always be fascinated with wealth, glitz and glamour - it’s why Hello Magazine exists or the Daily Mail side bar of shame. People like to look at “fabulous” lives of others and then half love, half bitch about it. The royal family for most of the world is just another Hollywood they will never be a part of but want to see.
    No, it’s much more complex than that

It’s not just celeb culture. 9m French people don’t watch the Oscars or the Met Gala

There is something about royalty in particular which fascinates. It is a mixture of soap opera and glamour, high politics and melodrama, and Britain has the last significant monarchy left in the western world (and the only one that has kept all the bling and ritual). And everyone knows the story lines, Diana and Camilla, Harry and Megz

And the royal family is quite dowdy in some ways, Charles is an old man. Camilla is pretty ancient. These are not “stars”
  • Options
    How many Americans watched the coronation?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well I have no idea what the audience was in 1989. I can without doubt tell you though that if you didn't watch you should have done.

I saw a bit of it, but it was a few mins on the news (I remember because a good friend of mine went to Paris for the Bicentennial with his French girlfriend and wanted me to join). I couldn’t make it so I saw a bit on telly to check what I was missing

It did look impressive, but there is no way 9m Brits watched “the French Bicentennial”
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No, it’s much more complex than that

It’s not just celeb culture. 9m French people don’t watch the Oscars or the Met Gala

There is something about royalty in particular which fascinates. It is a mixture of soap opera and glamour, high politics and melodrama, and Britain has the last significant monarchy left in the western world (and the only one that has kept all the bling and ritual). And everyone knows the story lines, Diana and Camilla, Harry and Megz

And the royal family is quite dowdy in some ways, Charles is an old man. Camilla is pretty ancient. These are not “stars”
    I agree although I was being quite general about star power and glitz. The Oscars is on at a time which isn’t ideal for European viewers which will suppress numbers and the Met Gala isn’t really anything to watch - more to remark on the crazy outfits (a bit like the Coronation in a way). There are very few Hollywood actresses who have the star power globally and the draw that the Princess of Wales has - you would probably have to go back to Liz Taylor for that kind of stardom and wow factor.

The Royal Family though is as you say soap opera, super glamorous soap opera and we should be proud that we have such a global draw that also provides such a stable and practical political function.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,461
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

Lol

Coronation of Charles III: nearly 9 million viewers watched the ceremony in France. 2 million more than for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II

Despite their republic the French are deeply conflicted about the loss of their Monarchy, which was almost equally ancient.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

Poor Bracknell Tories.

It's good politics but stinks from a democratic point of view. Lab will be making decisions about my ward but didn't even stand here. It feels like the SNP voting on matters relating to England.
    There is no evidence this is true.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    my take on yesterday
    1) great day for UK plc (No other country gets that limelight !)
    2) Everyone pretending they knew all about Zadoc The Priest when last week nobody would have had a clue
    3) Penny Mordant will hold her seat with a better performance than the national picture suggests !
    4) The Church of England should make a bit of capital from this once in a generation opportunity.
    5) The Princess of Wales is elite at being regal!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dialup said:

Yes the 1.9 is value imo. These LE results point to a Lab majority.
    I don't see much value in current odds.

The spread of seats is potentially vast, and can change on precious few votes, and 18 months is a long time away.
  • Options
    Anti-democratic people say.

Just like the Brexit Party standing aside for the Tories then?
  • Options
    O/T

Jimmy Anderson is bowling to Stuart Broad at Trent Bridge. Lancs need 2 wickets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqQ6RWzugbc
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I saw a bit of it, but it was a few mins on the news (I remember because a good friend of mine went to Paris for the Bicentennial with his French girlfriend and wanted me to join). I couldn’t make it so I saw a bit on telly to check what I was missing

It did look impressive, but there is no way 9m Brits watched “the French Bicentennial”
    No, just a few.
  • Options

They are just lashing out, knowing their chance has gone.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Dialup said:

Andy_JS said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

Poor Bracknell Tories.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/22/frustration-at-labour-and-lib-dem-hqs-as-local-parties-go-rogue-to-create-progressive-alliance

As the Guardian put it "To believe that this arrangement is the result of some bizarre coincidence stretches credulity".
  • Options
    I don’t know how many Americans “watched” the Coronation, not least because the time zone wasn’t great.

I’d imagine pretty much everyone has seen excerpts though, either on social media or the ubiquitous rolling news channels.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Such fun seeing TSE's desperate attempts to belittle the Coronation after it was clearly such a massive success.

It must really irk that the majority of the population are still in favour of keeping the monarchy.

Oh and I call bullshit on the poll. Not because of anything it says about the monarchy and its popularity but because any question that has a bank holiday day off as one of the options and still gets a third of the working age population saying they are not interested is clearly utter BS.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Cookie said:

Quick quiz: where is this?

Under Prince Harry's boxers, post-frostbite?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Jimmy Anderson is bowling to Stuart Broad at Trent Bridge. Lancs need 2 wickets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqQ6RWzugbc

I didn't even know they livestreamed these games.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dialup said:

Andy_JS said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

Poor Bracknell Tories.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/22/frustration-at-labour-and-lib-dem-hqs-as-local-parties-go-rogue-to-create-progressive-alliance

As the Guardian put it "To believe that this arrangement is the result of some bizarre coincidence stretches credulity".
    Good on them. The public want the Tories out by any means. They are pretty much just following public opinion.
  • Options

Leon said:

Lol

Despite their republic the French are deeply conflicted about the loss of their Monarchy, which was almost equally ancient.
    Even more ancient, I’d say - the Merovingians were the first French royals and they predate the first Anglo-Saxon kings by at least 100 years - starting in the 5th century as against our 6/7th

And Charlemagne was THE great king of early medieval Europe

If the French had hung on to their monarchy it would now be really something. 1600 years of history and some amazing palaces. But they junked it
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,529
    Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

That's the nature of FPTP.

45% wins against a chaotic split opposition, but loses against against an organised split opposition.

Bracknell was an extreme case, and I'm sure no GE would have that many mutual standdowns, but the maths is sound.

Looking at the Conservative's problems another way, this graph shows how parties score with YouGov at 5 or more on likelihood to vote;

https://twitter.com/HzBrandenburg/status/1655168206623977473

That's a lot of "not voting blue" voters. And the Sunak Surge, such as it was, has been about turning possibles back into probables, which may be a lemon with not much more juice to extract.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452

Leon said:

Lol

Deeply conflicted, how so?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

How many Americans watched the coronation?

Do you mean live? Scheduling coronation for 6am Eastern /3am Pacific time NOT user friendly on this side of the Atlantic (or Pacific).

More likely to have seen (parts of) ceremony after the fact. For example, PBS and (I think) Telemundo broadcast tape of proceedings later on Saturday.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    RobD said:

Dialup said:

Andy_JS said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

Poor Bracknell Tories.

Yet, if you look at the 2019 results it was

Con 49%
    Lab 27%
    LDP 20%
    Grn 2%

Seats
    Con 38
    Lab 3
    LDP 1

How is that democratic? No wonder tactical voting happened, whether official or unofficial. It's the elephant in the room, FPTP.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

#Tories4PR
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,274

Cookie said:

Looks like a water tower -
    Leon said:

Lol

You sound very needy.

Eurovision final has millions of live viewers every year in Germany. If the coronation was every year the viewing figures would soon be in the low hundreds.
  • Options

my take on yesterday
    2) Everyone pretending they knew all about Zadoc The Priest when last week nobody would have had a clue
    3) Penny Mordant will hold her seat with a better performance than the national picture suggests !
    4) The Church of England should make a bit of capital from this once in a generation opportunity.

The Queen of Lesotho was the best dressed imo. The ones who had the best of it all round were those who realised the 'wedding outfit' dress code would need to be stretched a bit as this was a really important event. https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a43796651/king-charles-letsie-lesotho-coronations/

The ones who got it a bit wrong (for me) were those like Jeremy Hunt who just showed up as if straight from the office.
  • Options

Leon said:

Lol

Really? What evidence of that?

Especially since serious fans of the Bourbons are likely outnumbered by fans of the Bonapartes?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Lol

You sound very needy.

Eurovision final has millions of live viewers every year in Germany. If the coronation was every year the viewing figures would soon be in the low hundreds.
    What ARE you fucking on about now??
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

Dialup said:

Andy_JS said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

Poor Bracknell Tories.

Con 49%
    Lab 27%
    LDP 20%
    Grn 2%

Seats
    Con 38
    Lab 3
    LDP 1

How is that democratic? No wonder tactical voting happened, whether official or unofficial. It's the elephant in the room, FPTP.
    It's as democratic as the result from last week. Both are equally legitimate (or illegitimate, depending on your view).
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 826
    edited May 2023

Such fun seeing TSE's desperate attempts to belittle the Coronation after it was clearly such a massive success.

It must really irk that the majority of the population are still in favour of keeping the monarchy.

Oh and I call bullshit on the poll. Not because of anything it says about the monarchy and its popularity but because any question that has a bank holiday day off as one of the options and still gets a third of the working age population saying they are not interested is clearly utter BS.

I’m not so sure. @Pagan2 made the good point yesterday in the protest discussion that there are many people on the sorts of contracts that mean they will lose a day of pay that they badly need because of the extra bank holiday. No idea whether that comes anywhere close to a third of the population, but I’m sure it accounts for some of that figure.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Quite different. The thread lead at least left Royalism as an option.
    Really.. Once I saw sycophant , the rest of the thread was irrelevant as it was never intended to show Monarchy as an option
  • Options
    This “my king is bigger than your republic” stuff is deeply needy.

Yes, the British monarchy is a global phenom.
    Can we all get over it now.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

RobD said:

Dialup said:

Andy_JS said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

Poor Bracknell Tories.

Con 49%
    Lab 27%
    LDP 20%
    Grn 2%

Seats
    Con 38
    Lab 3
    LDP 1

A million examples no doubt

Take Newham, 2006

Lab 41%
    Respect 23%
    Con 14%
    CPA 10%
    Etc

Seats
    Lab 90%
    Respect 5%
    Con 0%
    CPA 5%

That was a good year for non-Lab. After that it was 100% Lab, though at least they had the decency to get 60+% of the overall vote.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Lol

You sound very needy.

Even pathetically insecure Man-baby Donald Trump didn't care how many people in France watched his inauguration...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,113

Leon said:

Lol

Especially since serious fans of the Bourbons are likely outnumbered by fans of the Bonapartes?
    In the words of Macron himself (google translated):

https://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/le-scan/citations/2015/07/08/25002-20150708ARTFIG00062-le-roi-n-est-plus-la-se-desole-emmanuel-macron.php

"Democracy always includes a form of incompleteness because it is not sufficient in itself," he judges, considering that the French "did not want the death of the king." “The Terror created an emotional, imaginary, collective void: the king is no longer there! We then tried to reinvest this void, to place other figures there: these are the Napoleonic and Gaullist moments, in particular”.

“The president is expected to occupy the office of king”

An analysis that the former investment banker continues: “The rest of the time, French democracy does not fill the space. We can clearly see this with the permanent questioning of the presidential figure, which has been valid since the departure of General De Gaulle. After him, the normalization of the presidential figure has reinstalled an empty seat in the heart of political life”, he laments finally, nostalgic for the one who was nicknamed the “Republican monarch”.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600
    Just spoken to my 95 year old mother on the phone. Her opinion on the Coronation: "It wasn't as good as the last one.'
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Lol

You sound very needy.

But it isn't so your point is irrelevant.
  • Options

Leon said:

Lol

Not ancient but just as if not grander Monarchs of course.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,529

my take on yesterday

The Queen of Lesotho was the best dressed imo. The ones who had the best of it all round were those who realised the 'wedding outfit' dress code would need to be stretched a bit as this was a really important event. https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a43796651/king-charles-letsie-lesotho-coronations/

The ones who got it a bit wrong (for me) were those like Jeremy Hunt who just showed up as if straight from the office.
    As a Privy Councillor, he could have worn this. Once again, Conservative Party, let's see what you could have won;

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1654833606563360769
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

Just spoken to my 95 year old mother on the phone. Her opinion on the Coronation: "It wasn't as good as the last one.'

But did she see it? Few had tellys in the early 50s. Is it a bit like misremembering who you voted for.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,739

Given Leon's involved, I think that'll be a 'No'.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    Back home after my trip to Skye. A significant problem of a lack of chargers on the island - I saw quite a lot of EVs driving around. But only 6 "rapid" chargers on Skye, of which 2 were broken and a third was described as "old and temperamental" by the customer service guy at Chargeplace Scotland when I had to call them.

Obvious that new EV owners don't research, but TBH should they have to? Old CPS chargers won't work properly if you try and start them using their app - you need an RFID card. But I have one of those, and the charger in Broadford still didn't like it.

Highland Council now charging 70p/kWh - in my case that's 17p per mile, if you have a lardarse Audi or BMW EV probably more like 23p per mile. And the "rapid" charger vends at only 50kW max, which is s l o w if you have a big battery.

So forget the big EV switchover. The experience new EV people are going to have on their summer holidays will scar them for life...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,209

Back home after my trip to Skye. A significant problem of a lack of chargers on the island - I saw quite a lot of EVs driving around. But only 6 "rapid" chargers on Skye, of which 2 were broken and a third was described as "old and temperamental" by the customer service guy at Chargeplace Scotland when I had to call them.

Obvious that new EV owners don't research, but TBH should they have to? Old CPS chargers won't work properly if you try and start them using their app - you need an RFID card. But I have one of those, and the charger in Broadford still didn't like it.

Highland Council now charging 70p/kWh - in my case that's 17p per mile, if you have a lardarse Audi or BMW EV probably more like 23p per mile. And the "rapid" charger vends at only 50kW max, which is s l o w if you have a big battery.

So forget the big EV switchover. The experience new EV people are going to have on their summer holidays will scar them for life...

I don't know anything about cars but...

There will not be a big shift to EVs until their price falls significantly and the charging infrastructure is sorted.

Looks like petrol and diesel cars will be around in significant numbers for a while even if we stick with the 2030 'no new sales' plan.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Even more ancient, I’d say - the Merovingians were the first French royals and they predate the first Anglo-Saxon kings by at least 100 years - starting in the 5th century as against our 6/7th

And Charlemagne was THE great king of early medieval Europe

If the French had hung on to their monarchy it would now be really something. 1600 years of history and some amazing palaces. But they junked it
    It’s a bit of a stretch to call the Merovingians “French Royals” as France as it exists geographically today doesn’t reflect its borders then or at substantial periods between - huge areas weren’t “France” sometimes until relatively recently - Savoie for example. So it would be fair to say a unitary English Royal family would be older and more reflective of now but then you could say that the current British Royal Family can only be counted from the act of the Union.

We have inherited traditions from the first Anglo Saxon kings of England subsumed into the current gig but if the French Royal Family still was there KTT would also be an evolution of different states, borders and traditions.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600

SandraMc said:

But did she see it? Few had tellys in the early 50s. Is it a bit like misremembering who you voted for.
    Yes. My parents rented a TV so that they could watch it and invited friends round.
  • Options

It has clearly escaped your attention that the thread is about the alleged unpopularity of the monarchy, I am responding to that. That is the thread. The subject we are discussing. Up there. See
  • Options

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Lol

You sound very needy.

No it isnt. People having the telly on proves that there is a bit of interest, nothing more. People watch all kinds of crap.

It's not that difficult to understand, really. Unless people's pride has been weirdly hurt by the suggestion that the Great British Coronation is of less importance to the average German than the Eurovision song contest, which it definitely is. But why should you or Leon care?
  • Options

Interesting. Just about to pick up a new petrol VW Passat. Would love to go electric but we want to be able to drive across Europe too, so we stuck with an ICE this time.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Lol

You sound very needy.

Even pathetically insecure Man-baby Donald Trump didn't care how many people in France watched his inauguration...
    In France or not is irrelevant to the question of whether people should care about the figuers at all. These things are used in both directions. Recall people pointing to the death queue not involving that big a proportion of the country, ostensibly showing it was not a big deal?

The very premise of the header is that people didn't look forward to the coronation and that the viewing figures (in this country at least) being lower is a big deal, comparing it negatively to interest in the world's most popular spectator sport - indeed, its given greater prominence than people getting arrested.

So is it pathetically insecure to care about the viewing figures if the narrative is it is a small amount, or only pathetically insecure to care about the viewing figures if the narrative is it is a large amount?

Are some monarchists easily triggered? Sure, and far too sensitive, though 'Why don't you see if the monarch could get elected if he's so popular' rejoinder that is trumpeted often (and no doubt will no I've mentioned it) I really don't see why it is supposed to be the amazing trolling point people think it is, they seem really proud of it. But are some of these republican points just really lazily made? When it comes down to arguing the viewing figures are 'low' when it is 1/4 of the country and that people didn't look forward to the event enough (how much should they have done?) it's definitely lazy.

Because it is presented as a major shift and critical problem for the monarchy, ie a big deal. So why is monarchists treating is a big deal weird when that's the opposition point that it is?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Lol

You sound very needy.

It has clearly escaped your attention you quasi-kraut dullard that the thread is about the alleged unpopularity of the monarchy, I am responding to that. That is the thread. The subject we are discussing. Up there. See
  • Options
    Leon said:

It has clearly escaped your attention that the thread is about the alleged unpopularity of the monarchy, I am responding to that. That is the thread. The subject we are discussing. Up there. See
    Then for the love of Zadok, will someone change the fucking thread.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Lol

You sound very needy.

People having the telly on proves that there is a bit of interest, nothing more. People watch all kinds of crap.

I totally agree with this point. Which is why the very predictable call that it was a big deal that fewer people did or were more interested in a working day off, is so lame. A good rebuttal of the header in fact - since if double had watched would that have meant the monarchy had no potential trouble at all? Not likely, some watched it because it might be the last.

But based on the premise of the header if the viewing figures had been slightly better than it would argue the monarchy is safe. So I am interested in what level would have been regarded as a 'safe' viewing figure.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,881

RobD said:

Dialup said:

Andy_JS said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share:

Con 45%
    Lab 32%
    LD 16%
    Green 6%

Seats:

Lab 22
    Con 10
    LD 7
    Green 2

Poor Bracknell Tories.

Con 49%
    Lab 27%
    LDP 20%
    Grn 2%

Seats
    Con 38
    Lab 3
    LDP 1

It's not and neither, as someone has pointed out and I've said for ages, is it democratic that the 39% who didn't vote in Newham end up with just two representatives on a 66-seat Council. No one is suggesting Labour don't have a majority with 61% of the votes but if they had 40 rather than 64 councillors they'd still have that majority but there would be opposition, more voices, different voices and, I'd argue, local democracy would be stronger.

The case for proportional voting in local elections is overwhelming
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,233

The weird, self-reinforcing counting of tv viewers for British shenanigans (royal rituals, Olympics, Bond releases) is a PB perennial. I'm old enough to remember the usual suspects going tonto over the world falling in love with the multi-racial fairy tale of Harry and Meghan; that worked out well.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

To be fair to Gardenwalker, the popularity or otherwise of the British monarchy in France is not going to determine whether the coronation of King Charles III will be the UK’s last.
  • Options

Leon said:

Then for the love of Zadok, will someone change the fucking thread.
    By all means, it bores me too, but if someone is going to make a ridiculous claim about the UK Monarchy in the actual thread header they can expect to be answered in the comments

The evidence suggests the world finds the British monarchy evermore intriguing, rather than the opposite. Perhaps BECAUSE it is so increasingly anachronistic

And now let us move on to something else. I heartily agree
  • Options

Leon said:

Lol

Deeply conflicted, how so?
    The French reversed their revolution at least twice - and they've never really been 100% happy with their constitution ever since.

They have maintained much of the trappings of monarchy into the Presidency, there is still a strong royalist minority opinion in the country, and they are quite fascinated by others monarchies, including our own.
  • Options

my take on yesterday

If someone wouldn't dress like a berk for a royal coronation when would they? Spoilsports.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

It is utterly dumb. Whatever ones views on the sense of the timing of the transition (and I think it is being pushed unrealistically fast which will only do more harm in the long run) the provision of charging stations should not be the factor that holds things up. It wouldn't take that much investment in the grand scheme of things. As of 1st January UK has 42,000 charging points. France has 82,000 and they are aiming to put in another 50,000 each year between now and 2030.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Lol

You sound very needy.

No it isnt. People having the telly on proves that there is a bit of interest, nothing more. People watch all kinds of crap.

It's not that difficult to understand, really. Unless people's pride has been weirdly hurt by the suggestion that the Great British Coronation is of less importance to the average German than the Eurovision song contest, which it definitely is. But why should you or Leon care?
    It is irrelevant. For most a Coronation might happen only once in a lifetime. Its a national event of massive significance to the Nation as a whole.
    Eurovision is just about as ghastly as you could get... and worse still its every year and the week b4 is full of z listers talking about it.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,276
    Front page news in Ouest France

• Options

my take on yesterday

As a Privy Councillor, he could have worn this. Once again, Conservative Party, let's see what you could have won;

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1654833606563360769
    I hope Rory didn't get garlic dough balls down his beautiful jacket.
This discussion has been closed.